Type keyword(s) to search

S37: Natalie Cole

Netta Leven
  • Start Topic

Sierra is an example of someone who was tyring to play and not be a big character. Her moves were awful, when viewed from home, but at least you could tell that she was trying to play the game. I was not thrilled with how she played but she was playing. A lot of the folks who are bragging and talking about how vital they are and who are not, at least are trying to play the game. I can see how they don’t get that what they are doing isn’t all that important and they don’t get it because they don’t get to see more of what is happening. I roll my eyes a lot and groan but I appreciate that they are tyring to play.

Philip, Coach, Natalie, Russell, Rupert are all people who are more interested in being characters and playing the actual game is secondary. I do think Philip, Coach and Rupert are more of a mix of the character time/playing the game but in the end, all three of them seemed to spend more time on making good TV and less time on winning. Johnny Fairplay is one of the few “characters” who meshed his game play and his charachter schtick effectively

I fully believe that Russell is delusional enough to not understnad why his style of play will never win him the game.

I cannot believe that Natalie really thinks that bossing people around, esecially after being told by her entire tribe that they did not like how she was behaving, is an effective way to win the game.  I struggle with understanding how she could think that this character is in any way helping her rep outside the show. But I cannot believe that someone with her business accumin is in any way thinking that her current position in the game is going to help her win.

• Love 1

Over the years, many different types of people have won Survivor. So I think all the contestants think they have a chance to be the winner. So much depends on if you happen to befriend good players, if you are lucky in the tribe swap, etc. I think everybody is an optimist until voted out!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Just read their bios, most of these people think of themselves as absolutely awesome, why wouldn't they be expecting to win?

6 minutes ago, Porkchop said:

Over the years, many different types of people have won Survivor. So I think all the contestants think they have a chance to be the winner. So much depends on if you happen to befriend good players, if you are lucky in the tribe swap, etc. I think everybody is an optimist until voted out!

At the beginning, sure, but I think some (maybe even many) players probably realize at some point what their real odds of winning are. I'm pretty sure Sugar even talked on the show about knowing she couldn't win and that being exactly why she took Bob to the end. She wanted to at least be able to help her pick win since she knew she couldn't.

• Love 2

You have the players who know they can’t win, like Sugar, and then you have players like Troyzan who are surprised they didn’t win. Troyzan just had no clue how he was perceived. I think Stephen knew he didn’t have a chance in hell when he got to the final. I want to believe that Scout knew she was not going to win. I suspect that the people who are the most delusional, like Russell, and the folks who are incapable of understnading where they went wrong. It does seem like the past bunch of seasons who have someone who thinks they have been this massive strategic mastermind who we have seen little to nothing of and whose “moves” were shown to have been the work of someone else. Normally they have been people who are not assholes but simply think they are more of a mastermind then they are. 

I fear Natalie falls into the Russell catagory and is simply not paying any attention to the direct comments that have been made regarding how she interacts with people. Natalie does not want to listen to people telling her that she is not communicating effectively just like Russell did not pick up on the fact that people saw him as a bully. They would both argue that they are controlling the game through their behavior, and they are/were, but the negative behavior is nutralizing any votes that they might earn. 

• Love 2
On 10/19/2018 at 8:52 AM, JudyObscure said:

I never believe anyone is playing for second place.  I think they all maintain hope of winning right up until the finale.  Remember how Russell cried in shocked disappointment, even after the whole world and all spoilers should have warned him to believe otherwise?

Russell absolutely believed he could not lose.  As everybody knows he's convinced to this day that he DID win and was, somehow, robbed of his legitimate victory by a "bitter jury."  I'm pretty sure Special Agent Philip Shepherd began playing for second place at a certain point, but yes he's one of the only ones I can think of that I'd say that about.   Mostly, yes, I agree that right up unto the bitter end they mostly all believe they've got a shot.

On 10/19/2018 at 8:52 AM, JudyObscure said:

she was secretly managing everything.

Secretly???!!???? Not likely.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 3

Russell is delusional although there are people who love him and think that he is right. Thankfully, Russell soiled the next two seasons he was on so he’ll never be invited back.  Otherwise he would be back until Jeff could manipulate a season for him to win because Jeff loves the “big characters” who make “big moves.” 

I suspect that Natalie is more delusional and her exit interview is going to be defensive and full of shock at what she saw on TV. Surely we will all understand that she played an amazing game and her younger tribe mates simply didn’t like her because she was older. I get a Russell/Dan Foley level of delusion vibe off of Natalie. 

She was at a tribal were her entire tribe told her they did not like how she was acting or talking to them and her response was to ignore what they said, not talk to the new people on her tribe, and continue to boss people around. If anything, she doubled down on her bad behavior by micro managing the fire making. That is some seriously awful game player there.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

She was at a tribal were her entire tribe told her they did not like how she was acting or talking to them and her response was to ignore what they said, not talk to the new people on her tribe, and continue to boss people around. If anything, she doubled down on her bad behavior by micro managing the fire making. That is some seriously awful game player there.

Right?  This woman didn't seem to learn much of anything from the last tribal.  Man.  She has walls (and ears) of steel.

• Love 1

https://ew.com/tv/2018/10/25/survivor-natalie-cole-david-vs-goliath/

"But what people don’t realize what happened with me out there was so incredibly ugly and I just dealt with it. I was bullied the whole time I was there. I was berated and injured on the very first challenge and I felt like that injury was deliberate on Jeremy’s behalf. I literally got trampled in the first challenge, so my back was in pain the entire time I was out there. And then there was this whole group dynamic that people were so easy to follow the leader as opposed to looking out for themselves. So I got ostracized. And to add insult to injury, I did not sleep for the first three to five days. I was up day and night and I was outside when they were inside the shelter. And that’s what I meant by the totality of my circumstances. They were so bleak, that anybody else would have cracked. So what I lack maybe in agility, they could not even compare to the fact that I held myself together and didn’t completely lose it."

The rest of the interview reads the same way. She needs to get together with Dan Foley...

• Love 2

More from Natalie.

https://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2018/10/25/survivor-castaway-natalie-i-knew-it-was-angelina-because-she-was-thirsty-for-a-jacket/

"Holmes: Jeremy took us by surprise during the exit press when he told us that the reason he was voted out was because of a joke he made about a showmance between Angelina and John. Angelina has since denied this. Can you shed some light on that?
Cole: What Jeremy does not know until this conversation, is that Jeremy made that comment, of which I wasn’t even in the vicinity when he made the comment, I was told the comment by my ally John. When I was told he made the comment and John and Angelina weren’t doing anything about it, I said to Angelina, “I heard about the comment.” And she said, “Yeah, it’s pretty crappy.” And I said, “Angelina, your husband is a marine. He’s out protecting our country. You can’t let that comment sit. You can’t let that go. We have to unanimously vote him out to speak against that statement he made.” So, I got in her head. I got in John’s head the same way. I said, “You’re getting married next month. Your fiancé is going to be pissed to hear that! We’ve got to do something, John! We need to fix this!” So then, the next two hours I sat back and watched the magic happen. They were soldiers going out with my message. Nobody knows that they did the work because I planted the seed in their heads."

• Love 3

Oh, it gets better. She was teaching them how to make a fire in the one scene we saw after the swap. We saw this week that Natalie knows how to make a fire but she says in interviews that Angelina, Nick and Lyrisa did not know how to make a fire so she was teaching them. Natalie claims Jeremy was trying to hurt her in the first challenge, he threw her leg forward and she lost her balance and was trampled. She is certain it was intentional. She knew Angelina wanted her jacket and only vote for Lyrisa so Natalie would give Angelina her jacket. Mike was in love with Jeremy and hated Natalie for getting Jeremy voted out. She never picked a fight but was only defending herself.

Look, I know that TPTB manipulate the editing but most of what she says is just flat out off. Jeremy said Angelina was upset because of the comment he made about her starting a showmance, and Natalie confirmed that event happened and that it was something used to target Jeremy. But Natalie goes on to say that Jeremy was trying to hurt her and caused her an intentional injury int he very first challenge.

There is something off with her.

• Love 2

In the episode thread, from her magazine article that I havent read, she apparently says one of the reasons she went on survivor was to help her brand.  I.e.she was there for the publicity.  Which makes me mad.  Cant stand it when people are just there to join the frat, be famous etc, rack up an acting credit etc

One thing though.  She so thourghly, really does not seem to give a f* about what people think whereas I am always way overconcerned.  It would be nice to have just a little of that.

• Love 3

Natalie's interviews are cracking me up.

https://www.etonline.com/survivors-natalie-cole-talks-russell-hantz-comparisons-and-calls-one-tribemate-abusive-exclusive

"I didn't trust Angelina, and I thought that Angelina would have led the charge to get me out because Mike was never leading anything for the entire game," Natalie explained, adding that she knew when Lyrsa got two votes that Angelina set her up in the hopes of getting her jacket. "So it took everything in my power not to say anything at that point, because I really, I thought, if you say something, it's going to be so ugly, there's no coming back. There's no coming back from ugly, ugly, ugly comments. So don't say it... So I didn't, but I thought, it's more gangster to walk out and not even acknowledge her begging."

• Love 4

In her bio, she crows about  how she is the head of the largest black newspaper on the West Coast or something like that.  She also talks about her E Business and gives the name of her skin care product line as "Kalaiaah". So I took a look at the web site for that business. One of the things that seemed most interesting to me was that most all of the models used are not black.

Go figure?

https://kalaiaah.com/

Here is an interesting site that grades reviews of other sites. You may be interested in what they have to say:

https://www.fakespot.com/product/salicylic-acid-acne-detox-gift-set-sal-acid-face-wash-toner-2-organic-vit-c-20-serum-rich-moisturizer

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 1

The whole jacket thing was beyond ridiculous.  I cannot believe she tried to use her "power" to try to bully Nick and Lyrisa into giving up their coats.  That was beyond being an asshole.

Still, I did enjoy the insanity of it all and Natalie was one of my favorites just because she was such an asshole.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, BK1978 said:

I cannot believe [Natalie] tried to use her "power" to try to bully Nick and Lyrisa into giving up their coats.  That was beyond being an asshole.

That’s one of the key things about Natalie which irritated me so badly - her complete incomprehension of grade-school-level Survivor strategy. Natalie as an individual had ZERO power, while Goliaths as a tribe had ALL the power - but Natalie apparently lacked the ability to distinguish between the two.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Her Rob Has a Podcast interview was fun to listen to. She is may just surpass Dan Foley in the land of delusion.

OMG! I started reading your post before finishing it. I was about to say this ProfCrash is totally nuts.....then I read the whole post. Whew! I dodged that bullet. LOL!!!! Seriously! She was beyond delusional and according to her she did NOTHING wrong. It has to be one of the biggest revisionist of history RHAP interviews ever. I kinda wish Rob had been tougher on her and called her out. He usually doesn’t do that in the exit interviews and he also likes good tv which Natalie was giving in terms of a crazy edit. She didn’t cop to anything, blamed everyone else (Jeremy & Angelina et all) & the good ole edit. 

On 10/26/2018 at 3:56 AM, BK1978 said:

The whole jacket thing was beyond ridiculous.  I cannot believe she tried to use her "power" to try to bully Nick and Lyrisa into giving up their coats.  That was beyond being an asshole.

Still, I did enjoy the insanity of it all and Natalie was one of my favorites just because she was such an asshole.

Very well said!

On 10/26/2018 at 4:28 PM, Nashville said:

That’s one of the key things about Natalie which irritated me so badly - her complete incomprehension of grade-school-level Survivor strategy. Natalie as an individual had ZERO power, while Goliaths as a tribe had ALL the power - but Natalie apparently lacked the ability to distinguish between the two.

It appears that she has never watched an episode of Survivor (didn't Jeremy say that?) or she is even more of an asshole than BK1978 suggested.

On 10/26/2018 at 4:28 PM, Nashville said:

I assume she was talking about her personal power, you know the self-esteem-movement concept of personal agency or awesomeness or badassery.  Natalie seems to believe she has a lot of that.

4 hours ago, Special K said:

I assume she was talking about her personal power, you know the self-esteem-movement concept of personal agency or awesomeness or badassery.  Natalie seems to believe she has a lot of that.

Moreso than every other living soul on the island?  So much for empathy.  :>

• Love 1

In the thread about the episode, "S37E05 Jacket & Eggs", moderator @Whimsy explained that several posts were hidden because they belonged in the Natalie Cole thread.  As a result, I am quoting a post made on page one of the episode thread. But I'm posting it in the Natalie Cole thread because it is all about "her". (Funny. Every time I say "her" referring to Natalie, I hear these horses neighing (or screaming) in the background. I can't figure that out. Would anyone here know what that's about? I think it may have something to do with the movie "Young Frankenstein".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 10/24/2018 at 9:22 PM, Melina22 said:

I really enjoyed Lyrsa in this episode and was very impressed to hear she graduated Magna cum Laude from a Paris cooking school. (Did I hear that right?) I just wish I could get over my antipathy to nose rings. When she's talking I struggle not to stare at it.

I noticed Natalie's "compliment" about Lyrsa's purple hair. I think she meant it, but it's like she always throws in a compliment about someone's eyes or hair as she votes them off. Why doesn't that give me a warm, fuzzy feeling? It makes her seem even more manipulative than ever. Sorry, I mean "salesmanlike".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first reaction was that she did not really mean it. I tried to remember any other nice things she said about someone and meant it.  I'm still thinking about that but so far, I haven't come up with any examples yet.  She does not seem to like hardly anything about anyone. I honestly cannot recall one nice thing that she said about anyone except for herself. Oh wait. What about the guy who would take a bullet for her? Was that saying something nice about her? Or was it saying something nice about him? Or maybe, it was saying something nice about the bullet?  Or the shooter?

P.S. I was just kidding about the horses neighing or screaming. In the movie "Young Frankenstein", every time someone mentions the name of the lady played by Chloris Leachmen ("Frau Blucher"), you can hear some horses neighing. The joke was that the horses were terrified by Frau Blucher because she was such a crazy, mean and dangerous woman. You know, just like YKW.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.P.S. Is it possible to quote a post in one thread but put the answer into a different thread? I can't figure out how to do that.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 1