Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06: Jump Split Reckoning

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

Malena--the only way I could see quitting that job is (a) you knew you were on thin ice/likely to get fired anyway due to some other factor or (b) you have a Plan B job lined up that maybe isn't as amazing but is a solid situation and it fits your schedule better. I would think any job involving recruiting would be hour intensive and not a good fit for balancing with DCC.

Graduation ceremony--this actually touched me a bit but it also did look like they'd had to film it 3 or 4 times because Daphne didn't look that excited---or as moved as I would be if it was a surprise.  I'm not that bothered by her missing the ceremony though. Reality is (in my opinion) no one actually likes going to graduation ceremonies (besides maybe my mom). We pretend to but we all sit there from the get go thinking "I hope this doesn't take too long. . . I hope the speaker keeps it short. .. are they really going to read all of those names?" I walked in all of my graduation ceremonies but my husband only participated in his high school graduation--and he would have skipped that if there had been an option to that. And he was the first person in his family with a college degree and with a masters. He's just very practical --though I get a lot of people want that moment.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

Malena annoys me, she seems fake...and now that the poster said she still works there I'm even more confused with her

Always good to see Kade though yum

VK needs to be given LESS air time, she's just awkward when they ask her for blurbs about what they're doing

There's no need to take a fake fitness test serious, Jay you're annoying 

I feel bad that they have to be all made up and hair nice for the fitness test, so unnecessary 

It's Dallas CowBOYS cheerleaders, not cowboy ugh that annoys me, such a petty little thing but still

I lovee Hannah, she's so adorable. I like Gabby as well, she seems sweet

Enough with the "Yes ma'am" Jasmin, just nod along and then throw a yes ma'am in there ever so often, not after everything she says

I was rolling my eyes the whole time. ability to do push ups doesn't mean you're fit.  there was no focus on the fact that most of the girls has awful form in the pushup and sit ups and were likely to hurt themselves, no strong held core at all, their plank position in the pushup was all over the shop, just dire, but all Jay cared about was the number, not whether that number was remotely attached to a properly executed move.  I can't run, I'm not allowed anymore because of my back and the structural implants but even before that, I was a sprinter not a distance runner and I coul improve distance a bit but it wasn't what my build was for, I have strong powerful legs, broad shoulders, carry a lot of muscle.  that's a sprinter, not a distance runner, situps are bad for your back, you shouldn't do them that much esp not hte way he had the girls doing it, jerking around, crunches are better. according to Jay, I'd be the least fit person ont he planet.  but put me on a bike or in a pool and i'll leave you in my dust.  a proper fitness test would involve their o2 consumption, their recovery time, their pulse rate.  not this BS.  genuinely surprised nobody got hurt

• Love 15
1 minute ago, RedbirdNelly said:

Malena--the only way I could see quitting that job is (a) you knew you were on thin ice/likely to get fired anyway due to some other factor or (b) you have a Plan B job lined up that maybe isn't as amazing but is a solid situation and it fits your schedule better. I would think any job involving recruiting would be hour intensive and not a good fit for balancing with DCC.

Graduation ceremony--this actually touched me a bit but it also did look like they'd had to film it 3 or 4 times because Daphne didn't look that excited---or as moved as I would be if it was a surprise.  I'm not that bothered by her missing the ceremony though. Reality is (in my opinion) no one actually likes going to graduation ceremonies (besides maybe my mom). We pretend to but we all sit there from the get go thinking "I hope this doesn't take too long. . . I hope the speaker keeps it short. .. are they really going to read all of those names?" I walked in all of my graduation ceremonies but my husband only participated in his high school graduation--and he would have skipped that if there had been an option to that. And he was the first person in his family with a college degree and with a masters. He's just very practical --though I get a lot of people want that moment.

I enjoyed my graduation day but not because of graduation itself.  it was boiling hot, we were a huge class kept in a windowless room until it was ready, sweating buckets and bored senseless BUT what was fun as all get out was the gowns.  I went to a redbrick university, and it was a former college of oxford so all these gorgeous quads and red brick uildings (hence the term) and in our gowns, you bet your bottom dollar a bunch of 21+ year olds were running around pretending we were in Harry Potter, with our gowns flowing out around us as we chased each other around columns, pretending to throw spells at each other.  because we were very mature and officially all grown up.  That was the fun of graduation.  the whole palava of getting photos and chanting internally not to fall up or down the stairs to not get your certificate (you got a handshake and certification sent in mail latter, and all photos of you holding your 'degree' was actually a white plastic tube with a ribbon' so yeah, anti-climactic') but I agree, it felt like that was hardly the first time it was filmed, felt super staged and just....they're really pushing the 'we support education' thing this year,

• Love 5
Just now, CaseyRe said:

I enjoyed my graduation day but not because of graduation itself.  it was boiling hot, we were a huge class kept in a windowless room until it was ready, sweating buckets and bored senseless BUT what was fun as all get out was the gowns.  I went to a redbrick university, and it was a former college of oxford so all these gorgeous quads and red brick uildings (hence the term) and in our gowns, you bet your bottom dollar a bunch of 21+ year olds were running around pretending we were in Harry Potter, with our gowns flowing out around us as we chased each other around columns, pretending to throw spells at each other.  because we were very mature and officially all grown up.  That was the fun of graduation.  the whole palava of getting photos and chanting internally not to fall up or down the stairs to not get your certificate (you got a handshake and certification sent in mail latter, and all photos of you holding your 'degree' was actually a white plastic tube with a ribbon' so yeah, anti-climactic') but I agree, it felt like that was hardly the first time it was filmed, felt super staged and just....they're really pushing the 'we support education' thing this year,

sounds like a fun graduation. I enjoyed most of mine but if I were to graduate from something now, I'm pretty sure I would not bother walking.

• Love 1

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I HATE the Jay/power-squad/Cowboys Fit segments. Even now, when I rewatch past seasons on CMT those are the only scenes I fast-forward. 

I get it. The women need to be toned and fit for the uniform. But these segments are awful. Not to mention the fact that it’s hard to take the fitness suggestions seriously when everyone is in full hair and make-up. 

Edited by Gingi1976
  • Love 22
2 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:
3 hours ago, bombast said:

My heart sank one zillion miles, as if I were her dad, when Malena gave up her job at SMU – presumably a great opportunity – to become a pro-bono pom-pom girl. 

This, my friends, is why men rule the world.

#shattered

Agreed a zillion %! And, Malena looked like she did not have the guts to make the right decision. You are better off taking a position with the possible opportunity for advancement over one that is a short term career. If she would have said goodbye to Kelli and Judy she would have earned mad respect, but no.

I’m thinking that they had the type of attitude I had when I was in my 20s—that everything will work out!   Early in my 20s, I had a good job that was ending and I had a baby.  I had the choice of continuing with the company and getting assigned elsewhere (I was a contractor) or getting laid off.  I chose to get laid off and work temp as I looked for another job.  Some others in the company chose to stay.  Well the company was iffy at that time (which is why I chose to get laid off) and those who chose to stay only lasted 2 more weeks and did not get their final paycheck.  

The temp job I had I hated but listening to others’ fears (you’re crazy not to take this good job, what if you don’t get another, etc.) I accepted the position when they offered it to me full time.  I HATED that position.  I swore I would never make another decision for my life based on others’ fears.  Anyway my point is that at that age, I had no fear of the future.  I just figured everything would work out fine (which it did even though I didn’t like the job, it was a good job nevertheless, just not me).  I trusted that the future would work out, that I had time to overcome whatever.

So at that age, she may think that I have wanted this for so long, this is a short-term opportunity in a sense (dance age) so why not?  I can get another job later but this is an opportunity for now.  She may have been surprised to make it to training camp and just didn’t want to let the opportunity go and regret it later so why not.  Just my guess.  

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Gingi1976 said:

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I HATE the Jay/power-squad/Cowboys Fit segments. Even now, when I rewatch past seasons on CMT those are the only scenes I fast-forward. 

I get it. The women need to be toned and fit for the uniform. But these segments are awful. Not to mention the fact that it’s hard to take the fitness suggestions seriously when everyone is in full hair and make-up. 

Definitly with you. super staged, not at all to do with fitness, no focus on safe and effecitve form (near everything they did most of the girls had awful form that, not a good ad for him as a trainer or the Cowboys Fit as a gym

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

Definitly with you. super staged, not at all to do with fitness, no focus on safe and effecitve form (near everything they did most of the girls had awful form that, not a good ad for him as a trainer or the Cowboys Fit as a gym

agree on this too. I don't mind some tough love segment but it all seemed fake, starting with the way he walked into the room. I don't mind yelling when it's deserved but this all seemed staged right down to getting mad for laughing between sets. He would be better on some show with out of shape people who want to get in shape so they can try out for a dance squad.  

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

agree on this too. I don't mind some tough love segment but it all seemed fake, starting with the way he walked into the room. I don't mind yelling when it's deserved but this all seemed staged right down to getting mad for laughing between sets. He would be better on some show with out of shape people who want to get in shape so they can try out for a dance squad.  

even then I don't like his style. maybe he amps it up for the show, but if hes just one of those 'yell all the time' trainers, he's not going to be good.  a good trainer can adapt to the mindset and personality of the person/people they're training. i don't respond well to being yelled at all the time at all. im more likely to snap eventually and scream back or punch you in the face than I am to try and prove you wrong.  and just how all he cared about was speed or number and not form...thats super poor. thats a really poor trainer right there. would never ever pay to see him. paying to get yelled at and possibly hurt because he's not correcting poor form and not making progress because poor form means youre not benefiting from the move, nope, couldn't pay me at all.

• Love 1

I really liked this episode. Would have liked to see them learning and showing the routines longer.   I was sooo hoping they would show the routine they do to the song "Yes" taught on they show, and they did.  Even more happy that Michelle Keys is the one who choreographed it.  Her routines are the ones that "stick"   I can totally see why they cut Jasmine because this is strong group of rookies and she was struggling.  The stiff cheerleader thing does not work with DCC.  Malena has the memory problem but like she said when she knows it she is great.  Oh Yeah!    Cade!!!!!!    Good job CMT.  I would not mind seeing more of Cade.   I thought the graduation was a little corny but a sweet and thoughtful thing to do. The moment with Shelly and Dayton made me cry.  The kickline was very impressive compared to what they usually look line this far in.  I am excited to see these girls and the potential to build up a great squad. 

• Love 12

Are there any videos or instagram posts of the routine that Michelle Keys taught on this episode?   Would love to see this choreo with the actual music, and not a medley of other random songs!

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, DCC.Style.fan said:

I really liked this episode. Would have liked to see them learning and showing the routines longer.   I was sooo hoping they would show the routine they do to the song "Yes" taught on they show, and they did.  Even more happy that Michelle Keys is the one who choreographed it.  Her routines are the ones that "stick"   I can totally see why they cut Jasmine because this is strong group of rookies and she was struggling.  The stiff cheerleader thing does not work with DCC.  Malena has the memory problem but like she said when she knows it she is great.  Oh Yeah!    Cade!!!!!!    Good job CMT.  I would not mind seeing more of Cade.   I thought the graduation was a little corny but a sweet and thoughtful thing to do. The moment with Shelly and Dayton made me cry.  The kickline was very impressive compared to what they usually look line this far in.  I am excited to see these girls and the potential to build up a great squad. 

Regarding the kick line .... looks like most of the girls practiced before this show  ... they looked great !!!! I always wondered why they had girls saying they never did a jump split and was their first time .... I would think they would be practicing that before auditions ....

• Love 6

They are really pushing we are making Malena look bad because we may cut her at a later date scenes. I do not understand what is so important to lose or quit your job to be a DCC. Charlotte and Kelli must be proud of themselves because girls are willing to give up everything for the honor and privilege to be a DCC.

I hate to burst Jay's bubble, but his fitness testing is not the true measurement of how fit a person may or may not be. Are they hard up to promote the new Fitness Training Facility at the Star by pretending the girls will be tested to see what shape they are in.

The graduation part was totally staged. The reaction Daphine had when she came in was so fake and phony. I would not be surprised if they tape the scene over and over again until CMT felt it looked right. And please Kelli and Charlotte, you expect the girls to give up everything to be a DCC. Stop pretending you applaud girls who go to college. You only want girls who can make the Cowboys Organization look good. In my opinion, the show has become more of promotion of the Cowboys Organization at the expense of the girls like Malena and Dayton.

3 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

They are really pushing we are making Malena look bad because we may cut her at a later date scenes. I do not understand what is so important to lose or quit your job to be a DCC. Charlotte and Kelli must be proud of themselves because girls are willing to give up everything for the honor and privilege to be a DCC.

I hate to burst Jay's bubble, but his fitness testing is not the true measurement of how fit a person may or may not be. Are they hard up to promote the new Fitness Training Facility at the Star by pretending the girls will be tested to see what shape they are in.

The graduation part was totally staged. The reaction Daphine had when she came in was so fake and phony. I would not be surprised if they tape the scene over and over again until CMT felt it looked right. And please Kelli and Charlotte, you expect the girls to give up everything to be a DCC. Stop pretending you applaud girls who go to college. You only want girls who can make the Cowboys Organization look good. In my opinion, the show has become more of promotion of the Cowboys Organization at the expense of the girls like Malena and Dayton.

they're been pushing the 'we're so supportive of education look how many of our girls are educated' thing so hard this season and esp last night. the girls being asked what their degrees were in at fittings, the constant UCLA UCLA UCLA mentions, the whole thing of 'we've got a girl leaving to be a doctor' thing. yet they support girls quitting good jobs even when they know they'll likely get cut. when Kelli said she wouldn''t tell Malena to do it if she didn't have a good shot of the team but then a minute later was like 'no need for tonight to be your last night' it was like alarm bells for me. sure, not cut tonight, but sounded 100% like but you're getting cut.  and boy i hated how Kelli found it funny she couldn't remember or pronounce Malena. yikes that was bad.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

agree she's an absolutely gorgeous girl, but imo her dancing was...it isn't that she can't dance well, she comes across very accomplished in that regard, but her dance is...very powerful, yes, but it was sooo choppy, there was no flow to it, it was like I was watching her count out the beats and parse out the choreo in her head.  her style didn't fit at all, it was very short and sharp and distracting from the more flowing dancers around her.  with practice she can rein that in, keep the power but stop rushing the choreo and being so darn choppy. my lower back ached just watching how sharp some of her movements were.  i think if she were to spend the year sort of unlearning some of her former cheer style and retraining her body into a more lyrical graceful style, she could really have a shot next year.  but again, just my opinion..

She made the Ice Angels, so maybe that will help her for next year.  I thought she was beautiful and I was hoping she would do well.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

My father would literally never speak to me again. That is, after he screamed at me for about three months straight and then disowned me.   I'm always horrified when the girls give up phenomenal jobs, esp in this economy, to dance on the sidelines at a football game.  sure, i know there are said to be many opportunities, some do go on to get good jobs as a result of contacts within that world, but personally they're a minority. 

Did anyone else hate the part of Dayton's fitting when the fitter said "she wins the prize for the way the shorts look without the belt..."  and kelli said 'well good she needs to win something.'  That seemed so pointed.  sure it could be that she meant 'she looks so good she should win some sort of prize for it' but it initially came across as 'well she's failing everything else' just from the tone.  idk

Yeah I took Kelli’s comment about Dayton and the prize the same way - that looking good in the uniform is the only thing Dayton has going for her cause everything else is bad.   Kelli clearly doesn’t seem like a Dayton fan - she is much more team VK.

Judy doesn’t seem to have said too much about either of them so not sure where she stands - maybe she’s keeping quiet cause she remembers when Cassie went through her first audition and knows it’s best to say as little as possible when it comes to these daughters (daughters of BFs) of her coworkers.

• Love 9

Unpopular opinion: VK is so cute!  I think she is just an overly excited teenage girl, and it’s adorable.  Kellie recreating the pic she has with Tina was fun.  But she does get a lot of camera time, which isn’t her fault, but I wish we could get more of the other girls too.

Kellie was just a proud auntie with both Dayton and Victoria during the uniform fittings.

Dayton and @ShellyB were just the sweetest thing.  She was creeping around the corner and it was just an adorable proud mommy moment.  And Dayton did ROCK that uniform!  I literally said damn when she turned around, good job girl!  Looking amazing. ??????

• Love 13
9 hours ago, Leia1021 said:

kcrabtree06 - No, I was sitting on my couch eating a bowl of chocolate chip ice cream and remembering the fastest time I ever ran my 2 miles on the Army Physical Fitness Test (25 years in the Army) was 13:42.  And that was when I was 35ish.  Not bad, but nothing my 64 year old self would be able to duplicate.  Kind of sad. :-(

My Army time was 16-17 mins hahaha! These dancers are pretty strong, go ladies!

• Love 1

My husband was less than 10 seconds from passing his two mile run before being discharged from the MT National Guard. The reason why he could not passed his test was due to the fact he was slowly dying because his kidneys were slowly shutting down. He served in the Army for two years, and almost ten years in the National Guard before being discharged. Sorry Jay, but I find that a lot more impressive than your Power Squad testing.

And Kelli and her uniform fitting is like trying on a prom dress. Kelli, Charlotte, and Jay seem to think highly of themselves. Judy can push the DCCs are the best of the best, but at least she is quiet and keep her opinions to herself. I do love her facial expressions at time. Judy and Marshall have the best expressions.

If I remember correctly Jay and his wife were on WifeSwap. I seem to remember that they are incredibly strict. Can someone confirm that? 

Dayton and Rachel were my favorites in the uniform, but I wish we had seen more of the TCCs in their fittings. 

Hated that they (CMT) seemed to make Jasmine's cut all about VK, super annoying. Let the Jasmine have her own moment! 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, PBSLover said:

I love Jay! So happy to see him back on the show and happy that he read the girls the riot act. He was right to say what he said.

LOVE Deryn!  So happy to see her again.

I was crying during the graduation ceremony. I’m such a sap. It was really sweet that they did that (even if it was for their own reasons). 

I wish they would have told Jasmine that she needs style classes. And that they want her to try out again. Why didn’t they say that?????  She’s adorable. I hope she tries out again.

Jasmine IS adorable.  Every time she was shown I'd say out loud, "She's so cute!". I was hoping they'd encourage her more about trying out again too. She seems to be well spoken and have a cute personality from what little we were shown.  Imagine winning the 'Jay shirt" and then being the first one cut.  :(

• Love 19
1 hour ago, MyFavShows said:

Yeah I took Kelli’s comment about Dayton and the prize the same way - that looking good in the uniform is the only thing Dayton has going for her cause everything else is bad.   Kelli clearly doesn’t seem like a Dayton fan - she is much more team VK.

Judy doesn’t seem to have said too much about either of them so not sure where she stands - maybe she’s keeping quiet cause she remembers when Cassie went through her first audition and knows it’s best to say as little as possible when it comes to these daughters (daughters of BFs) of her coworkers.

Just did comment in the last episode after they met with Dayton that it was like pulling one tooth at a time.

I'm new here. DCC is my guilty pleasure and my friends all make fun of me. LOL

I still don't understand Jasmine's cut. There are other girls they call on frequently that didn't get cut. Kristine.

How do these girls that don't work get by financially? Do they have rich parents? Dallas is definitely not as expensive as some cities but at the end of the day they still have stuff to pay for. I'm sure they need nice clothes for appearances and stuff. Maybe that is paid for like their hair maintenance. I don't see how the girls that work full time are able to keep up with training camp. I would be a mess.  They should pay the cheerleaders a decent wage if they expect them to treat DCC like a real job. 

My parents would kill me if I didn't go through the graduation ceremony for a prestigious school like UCLA,especially if they paid for it!

I thought kick line looked good. I too, don't understand the girls who say it's their first jump split. Of course they all practiced it at home! Maybe they say that to psych the other girls out. When I was in medical school my classmates would often say they don't study when in truth all they did was study. It took a little while for me to realize they weren't being truthful. I felt like I was stupid because I had to study 12+ hours a day to keep up! I felt like I was trying to drink out of a fire hydrant. I guess that's how these girls must feel in TC.

• Love 5

Is Kristen the one who can sign? Does anybody else think that she looks like a healthier version of Summer Glau? 

I keep thinking she looks familiar but cant quite place her. 

Well, Troy went to UCLA as well, just saying. :)

Adding to my post after reading Kate2006' post: I've always figured that all the girls who tryout are, to some extent, well off. Or their parents are. Let's face it, not many people can say they've been taking dance lessons since they were three years old. Dance classes can be expensive and time consuming. So girls who dance might not have to get jobs or do anything other than focus on dancing. Plus, they've shown girls with LV handbags and nice cars showing up at auditions. 

Edited by Ninamags
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Sister Tab said:

Jasmine IS adorable.  Every time she was shown I'd say out loud, "She's so cute!". I was hoping they'd encourage her more about trying out again too. She seems to be well spoken and have a cute personality from what little we were shown.  Imagine winning the 'Jay shirt" and then being the first one cut.  :(

Sister Tab, this is off topic but I love your handle! My sister LOVED TAB with a passion when we were growing up together in the 70s and 80s. She drank it all the time and we used to give her holy heck about it. She would get so mad as a result, which was exactly what I wanted. So whenever I see you comment, I smile. :-)

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Christineelgene said:

Just did comment in the last episode after they met with Dayton that it was like pulling one tooth at a time.

Which is such a stupid thing to say because a)that's not the phrase, because b) you literally cannot pull teeth any other way.  the phrase is 'like pulling teeth'. sorry, but that drove my pedantic ass right up the wall and halfway across the ceiling.  it was nonsense

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, Sister Tab said:

I think Kathryn Dunn won the "Jay shirt" in Season 3, and she was the first one cut.

25 minutes ago, PWBlackburn said:

If I remember correctly Jay and his wife were on WifeSwap. I seem to remember that they are incredibly strict. Can someone confirm that? 

Dayton and Rachel were my favorites in the uniform, but I wish we had seen more of the TCCs in their fittings. 

Hated that they (CMT) seemed to make Jasmine's cut all about VK, super annoying. Let the Jasmine have her own moment! 

I vaguely remember the episode they were on.  I only watched it because it was Jay and Lin.  I do remember that the couple were not fit and their house was a mess.  Also, if I remember correctly, they had a daughter who wanted to be a cheerleader and a DCC (or more) was brought in, and the mother refused to go.  Or something like that.  

Here is a link to the synopsis.

http://www.throng.co.nz/2007/08/wife-swap-friday-august-24/

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Christineelgene said:

I vaguely remember the episode they were on.  I only watched it because it was Jay and Lin.  I do remember that the couple were not fit and their house was a mess.  Also, if I remember correctly, they had a daughter who wanted to be a cheerleader and a DCC (or more) was brought in, and the mother refused to go.  Or something like that.  

everything is about VK. they are doing this girl zero favours.  I literally said out loud at the time of Jasmine's cut, 'jeez, we're hearing more from VK how this hurts her, a girl she's known 3 weeks, than the GIRL WHO HAS BEEN CUT'.

• Love 8

Malena, that was a shady ass thing you did quitting your job.  I know DCC's have done it before, but she should've been the first cut honestly. 

The UCLA thing was cheesy and dumb.

I love Jay, but please make that the only segment with him.   I've learned watching this show that his segments are boring and it's a great time to fast forward. 

I"m not a fan of Jayln's hair or look.  Just not an attractive girl.  Sorry!

Jasmine isn't cute either.  I suspect that also factored into her not making the team. 

I don't hate VK.  Not yet at least. 

Edited by Runnergrl37
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Runnergrl37 said:

Malena, that was a shady ass thing you did quitting your job.  I know DCC's have done it before, but she should've been the first cut honestly. 

The UCLA thing was cheesy and dumb.

I love Jay, but please make that the only segment with him.   I've learned watching this show that his segments are boring and it's a great time to fast forward. 

I"m not a fan of Jayln's hair or look.  Just not an attractive girl.  Sorry!

Jasmine isn't cute either.  I suspect that also factored into her not making the team. 

I don't hate VK.  Not yet at least. 

Her scenes were probably heavily edited to make her look bad in case Kelli and Judy cut her at a later date. I feel bad for her because she has been brainwashed by the DCC establishment to believe it is a honor and privilege to be a DCC. Kelli and Charlotte want the girls to live and breath being a DCC is so much more important than having a career. It looks like they are in major damage control the last few years, but it is biting them in the behind. Marlena would be much better off focusing on her career and having a real life outside of the DCC Universe.

I think most of these girls have well to do parents/means. Look how many of them have LV totes. 15+ years of dance training is not cheap. All the California girls (Maggie, Milan, Daphne) are from super nice areas (Palos Verdes, Los Gatos, Newport Beach). I'm not as familiar with the Texas cities, but I'm sure it's similar. 

Malena has crazy eyes and one step away from losing it. We'll see how she progresses.

Speaking of crazy eyes - Brennan! She seeemed like she was about to burst into tears during the food diary interview. It's kind of demeaning to make a 27(?) year old tell you what she ate!

I don't think we've ever seen them run on treadmills before. Kind of odd and does not make great television. 

I wish they showed Michelle Keys talking to Judy and Kelli privately about the TCC. It's my favorite part. 

I get why Jasmine was cut, but I don't get how she made training camp. She obviously was more a cheerleader than a dancer. 

Edited by NoChtngWhenEtng
  • Love 6

I wish we could have been a fly on the wall during Malena's conversion with SMU that ended with an "ultimatum".  I wonder if her employer's lack of understanding led to her decision - as sometimes something does happen at work that is "the last straw". She did say the job was demanding -maybe they were already putting too many demands on her.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Leia1021 said:

kcrabtree06 - No, I was sitting on my couch eating a bowl of chocolate chip ice cream and remembering the fastest time I ever ran my 2 miles on the Army Physical Fitness Test (25 years in the Army) was 13:42.  And that was when I was 35ish.  Not bad, but nothing my 64 year old self would be able to duplicate.  Kind of sad. :-(

I was a distance runner in high school, and distinctly remember my fastest 2-mile time (13:36). That was the race when I ran across the finish line, right off the track, and barfed.

So I don't know if I'd say I miss those days, haha, but I was in much better shape than I am now!

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, NoChtngWhenEtng said:

I don't think we've ever seen them run on treadmills before. Kind of odd and does not make great television. 

agree--it would have been much better to see them run around a track which would be more of a race. You are going to finish your mile on a treadmill at whatever speed you set it. Nothing exciting about that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Christineelgene said:

The mom wore the pants in the family and Lin was more supportive of the dad than the wife was.  I don't remember Jay being strict - I remember the mom being lazy.  

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

agree--it would have been much better to see them run around a track which would be more of a race. You are going to finish your mile on a treadmill at whatever speed you set it. Nothing exciting about that.

that's only if your feet can move at the speed of the treadmill. A passer-by at the gym should me the setting she used (8 or 9) and I couldn't function even holding on to the sides.  I had to pull the emerg cord :)

I too like the park scenes they did in the past. I wonder b/c it was so hot & humid (and they had to plug Cowboys fit) was the reason they were inside running. But being inside - it would have been nice to be given the option of other cardio - swim (if they have a pool), elliptical, bike, etc

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, sATL said:

that's only if your feet can move at the speed of the treadmill. A passer-by at the gym should me the setting she used (8 or 9) and I couldn't function even holding on to the sides.  I had to pull the emerg cord :)

I too like the park scenes they did in the past. I wonder b/c it was so hot & humid (and they had to plug Cowboys fit) was the reason they were inside running. But being inside - it would have been nice to be given the option of other cardio - swim (if they have a pool), elliptical, bike, etc

I was told in physical therapy not to hold on to the sides on the treadmill while walking on it due to increase chance of injury and the less overall work out strength from using the treadmill in the first place. I was also told running on the treadmill can lead to more chances of injuries, and it is better to take a good brisk walk instead.

Finally watching... my thoughts:

Dayton looked amazing in the uniform and I totally had tears along with Shelly.

Victoria is growing on me... loved the photo of her and Kelli. 

Love how educated so many of the girls are these days.... much more so than in early seasons. 

Loved the scene with Kristin in the office signing. 

Malena is a hot mess. I don’t see this ending well.

Jay. IT IS DALLAS COWBOYS CHEERLEADER. There is ALWAYS an S. ALWAYS. This drove me crazy.

Edited by PrincessLeia
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, ATLGirl said:

Sister Tab, this is off topic but I love your handle! My sister LOVED TAB with a passion when we were growing up together in the 70s and 80s. She drank it all the time and we used to give her holy heck about it. She would get so mad as a result, which was exactly what I wanted. So whenever I see you comment, I smile. :-)

I'm glad it makes you smile! I'm a total Tab addict and joke that I'm embalming myself from the inside out. People are always surprised when they see me with a can.  "They still make Tab?!" they say in utter disbelief. "Where do you get it?" It's in all of the grocery stores where I live but I do have to travel with my own supply when we visit my husband's family in Wyoming. It's nowhere to be found there!

• Love 4

Jay has always given a qualifier when telling the girls what they are going to do: The Army’s standard physical fitness test which is 2 minutes of running, 2 minutes of pushups, 2 minutes of sit ups. I’ve never been in the Army but I assume this is something Jay did when he served and he feels it is a test of strength and endurance. His logic is they now are athletes and introduces to think differently maybe? Personally, I think it’s fucking smart.  

3 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

Love how educated so many of the girls are these days.... much more so than in early seasons. 

The girls on the squad have always been accomplished. From the inception of the squad the women have been studying to be doctors, lawyers, professors, etc.

5 hours ago, NoChtngWhenEtng said:

I wish they showed Michelle Keys talking to Judy and Kelli privately about the TCC. It's my favorite part. 

Agreed. It would have been the best part of the episode besides her dance.

5 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I think Kathryn Dunn won the "Jay shirt" in Season 3, and she was the first one cut.

The girl couldn’t dance. Not the way they needed her to anyway.

Edited by PBSLover
forgot a word
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, PBSLover said:

Jay has always given a qualifier when telling the girls what they are going to do: The Army’s standard physical fitness test which is 2 minutes of running, 2 minutes of pushups, 2 minutes of sit ups. I’ve never been in the Army but I assume this is something Jay did when he served and he feels it is a test of strength and endurance. His logic is they now are athletes and introduces to think differently maybe? Personally, I think it’s fucking smart.  

The girls on the squad have always been accomplished. From the inception of the squad the women have been studying to be doctors, lawyers, professors, etc.

Agreed. It would have been the best of the episode besides her dance.

The girl couldn’t dance. Not the way they needed her to anyway.

They have done studies proving the regular two mile run, two minute situps and two minute pushups does not reveal a soldier's true physical strength. The girls are not in the Army. In my opinion, they is a major difference between being a cheerleader and being a soldier. Jay needs to move on to something else and stop treating the girls like they are soldiers and get more realistic about testing to see how well the girls can handle an all day home football game or four hours of practice.

14 hours ago, Leia1021 said:

Thank you for your service to our country!

I liked the old Jay Johnston Power Squad segments, back many seasons ago when he used more organic, unconventional training techniques, like the tire pull. I even liked when he took the TCCs grocery shopping to teach them all about what to eat. Salmon and veggies for breakfast, right on! But the new Cowboys Fit segments are too over-processed for me. It's like they Monsantoed this whole aspect of the show, and now I don't get anything out of it.

Unpopular view here: Cade gets a no from me. I get the feeling that half of him is focused on the workouts, and the other half of him is trying to mentally figure out how he can ask a fewof the girls for their phone numbers. He was totally into Lexie a few episodes back, it was so obvious! (She's taken, Cade, sorrryyyy...)

Speaking of over-processed, I don't like the sound effects CMT is using. Some of it reminds me of A&E mystery scenes. We're learning choreography here, not hiding a murder weapon.

Jasmine seemed sweet and I was sad to see her go, but I understand why they cut her.

I don't get the whole "sultry" Kristin reference. She is no Ashton Torres. That said, I love that she does sign language; what a special skill to have, and it makes me like her, even if her dancing/presence doesn't wow me. Yet.

Hannah--hot damn! Way to be spunky in your dance. Arch in her back and everything. "Showstopper" is right.

Bridget does nothing for me. I think she's got a stringy, greasy look about her. Can they glam her up?

And Dayton! Wow. She rocked the uniform. You go, girl.

I really like Ashlee! She reminds me of Tia and Tamera Mowry. Cute, all-American.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Her scenes were probably heavily edited to make her look bad in case Kelli and Judy cut her at a later date. I feel bad for her because she has been brainwashed by the DCC establishment to believe it is a honor and privilege to be a DCC. Kelli and Charlotte want the girls to live and breath being a DCC is so much more important than having a career. It looks like they are in major damage control the last few years, but it is biting them in the behind. Marlena would be much better off focusing on her career and having a real life outside of the DCC Universe.

Sure gives a lot of credence to Erica’s argument that the DCC doesn’t pay a living wage, but yet they have a schedule so strict and overbearing that these young women can’t have a full time job and still cheer.   If you expect full time dedication and to be the priority in someone’s lives, you should pay them accordingly - really doubt a job that was so much of a commitment that a MAN couldn’t do anything else to earn money on the side would pay so little.  Just sayin’....

• Love 10
7 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

Did anyone else hate the part of Dayton's fitting when the fitter said "she wins the prize for the way the shorts look without the belt..."  and kelli said 'well good she needs to win something.'  That seemed so pointed.  sure it could be that she meant 'she looks so good she should win some sort of prize for it' but it initially came across as 'well she's failing everything else' just from the tone.  idk

I thought this, whether it was intended or not it did come across a little snippy. I didn't think there was a great deal of warmth in their interaction, compared to Kelli messing around with VK. Whether it was edited that way to create a contrast I don't know. 

Jay's fitness section really bugs me. I hate watching them race to do sit ups, some of the girls are seriously going to damage their backs trying to do the most sit ups in the time. It should be about doing them properly and safely, not quickly. 

I can understand the cut, but it makes me sad. I thought Jasmin was adorable. 

I haven't warmed up to rookie Rachel yet and I don't know why. There's just something about her that bothers me. 

Was it Tara who fell in the showgroup audition preview for next week? 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, DocBrown said:

I thought this, whether it was intended or not it did come across a little snippy. I didn't think there was a great deal of warmth in their interaction, compared to Kelli messing around with VK. Whether it was edited that way to create a contrast I don't know. 

Jay's fitness section really bugs me. I hate watching them race to do sit ups, some of the girls are seriously going to damage their backs trying to do the most sit ups in the time. It should be about doing them properly and safely, not quickly. 

I can understand the cut, but it makes me sad. I thought Jasmin was adorable. 

I haven't warmed up to rookie Rachel yet and I don't know why. There's just something about her that bothers me. 

Was it Tara who fell in the showgroup audition preview for next week? 

Yes it was Tara 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, kcrabtree06 said:

Was anyone else sitting on their couch at 9:30pm eating a big cupcake from their favorite bakery during the entire fitness section? No, just me!?

Watched the episode this morning while eating a sausage egg Mcmuffin.

17 hours ago, MelissaMinion said:

When Gabbi was in the office, did anyone feel like there was an undercurrent of “We think you padded your resume”? Are the mentioned recommendations something the candidates have to submit, or are they a result of the background checks?

Also, this year’s focus on education and career aspirations is clearly (to me, anyway) an attempt at image control after Erica’s lawsuit hit the news. 

But also a candidate quitting her full time job during training camp.

• Love 4