Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06: Jump Split Reckoning

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

Another equestrian and veteran here!

I don't care for Jay's style, and I was very bothered by his failure to correct bad form.  Also, I thought it was obnoxious how he implied that he has been responsible for having girls cut.  Unless I'm forgetting a specific example of this, I don't believe he has as much power/influence as he implied.

I was on an emotional roller coaster during uniform fittings.  I loved Kelli during Malena's fitting.  Her laugh seemed so genuine and authentic.

But then with VK and Dayton, Kelli made me cringe.  I didn't care for the whole re-creation of the picture, and then the way she treated Dayton was so much colder.  Talking about how Dayton "needs to win at something" was unnecessarily cruel in my opinion.  Dayton may not be the best dancer, but the blatant favoritism seems to get worse each episode.

Like many, many other posters, I would love to see more camera time for other rookies. Usually by this point, I can at least recognize most of them.  But this season, I am still unfamiliar with most of them!

• Love 9
59 minutes ago, GleesBid said:

I thought it was obnoxious how he implied that he has been responsible for having girls cut. 

LOL Jay is responsible for getting some girls cut due to his extra special workouts not having been extra special enough to have helped some on the bubble rookie candidates lose weight.  Most of them ended up actually gaining weight.

• Love 3

Dayton seems to be the punching bag this season as if they are trying to overcompensate for the obvious favoritism Cassie received. Like they are trying to prove they don't play favorites. However,  it's all  negated by the love fest Victoria is getting. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ByTor said:

LOL Jay is responsible for getting some girls cut due to his extra special workouts not having been extra special enough to have helped some on the bubble rookie candidates lose weight.  Most of them ended up actually gaining weight.

Actually not that ususual. if he's got them strength training rather than cardio, they'll gain muscle which takes up less space than fat but is therefore more dense, so the girl will look slimmer but weigh more which is another reason them going by weight is ridiculous. a girl could gain 5 pounds but look better in the uniform because the greater muscle mass looks sleeker.  HOWEVER, if what he's meant to be doing isn't just upping their fitness level but also providing them with a programme to lose weight, then that's a massive fail. should be high cardio and HIIT circuits rather than strength bulking

Edited by CaseyRe
  • Love 2

Sooooooo tired of seeing Jay's face and his stupid camo.

3 hours ago, Txmomof2 said:

Yeah Jay yelling at the girls that he could get them cut made me laugh.

I am very ready to get to know some of the other rookies. I LOVE seeing the where are they now for former DCC, but I want to see more of Hannah, Bridget, Jalyn, Caroline, Taylor....... 

I can't stand him. Never liked his segments. He's so washed up it's embarrassing. 

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

Actually not that ususual. if he's got them strength training rather than cardio, they'll gain muscle which takes up less space than fat but is therefore more dense,

The significance of the difference is actually a common misconception (I know fitness magazines/trainers say otherwise, but medical research does not back up their claims).  Even if it were true, they weren't gaining that much muscle in a matter of a couple weeks anyway.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ByTor said:

The significance of the difference is actually a common misconception (I know fitness magazines/trainers say otherwise, but medical research does not back up their claims).  Even if it were true, they weren't gaining that much muscle in a matter of a couple weeks anyway.

depends on their body type. endomorphs will gain muscle faster than any other body type. most of the girls looks to be ecto/mesopmorphs but there are those that will gain muscle faster and you can gain a pound or so of muscle in that time.  it also depends if he (or anyone else) are giving them any dietry advice, because if they're upping their food intake in line iwth their upped workout regime but it's not the right kind of food, they're going to gain weight even while working out more so they completely ruin anything they're doing. nutrition is so so so important for health, let alone weight loss and fitness so its so disappointing to see it barely nodded to by the DCC and even then either in throw away moments or ridiculous 'soda causes cellulite' sound bites

• Love 2

I swear there were at least 5 - 6 rookie candidates who had interviews this week that I had never seen before, let alone heard their names.  I just kept thinking "who is this girl and why have I never seen her before?"

It seemed like someone might have given Victoria a makeup consult during makeovers because I thought it looked less caked-on and the fake eyelashes looked less like spider legs (at least to me).

I always thought Dayton looked a little soft or round...like, not fat because she's clearly skinny, but just not super toned compared to some of the other girls.  Then, she put on the uniform, and I was like holy cow!  She really did look amazing in the uniform.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, hilaryvm said:

I swear there were at least 5 - 6 rookie candidates who had interviews this week that I had never seen before, let alone heard their names.  I just kept thinking "who is this girl and why have I never seen her before?"

It seemed like someone might have given Victoria a makeup consult during makeovers because I thought it looked less caked-on and the fake eyelashes looked less like spider legs (at least to me).

I always thought Dayton looked a little soft or round...like, not fat because she's clearly skinny, but just not super toned compared to some of the other girls.  Then, she put on the uniform, and I was like holy cow!  She really did look amazing in the uniform.

I think this is the worst year for me in terms of barely being able to tell half the TCC apart or even recognising manyof them let alone knowing their names.

• Love 6

I agree with all of you guys. This season is different. It's still my favorite show, but I miss a couple of years ago when they showed more candidates and more dancing. Like the year Kashara showed up with the wrong practice gear on. It just seemed less contrived then. 

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

Am I the only one getting Caroline confused with Bridget?

Victoria, Dayton, Brennan, Bridget, Caroline, Hannah, Daphne, Rachel, Malena, Gabby, and Jalyn are the rookie candidates I can easily recognize.  I can tell who Bridget is because IMO she has such a pretty face that makes her look like she's always smiling.  I'm really rooting for her to make it.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

Jesus, this. Omg. I can’t even tell who anyone is bc no one is shown for more than two seconds 

I thought I was just getting old because I can't tell who is struggling and who isn't.  You are totally right about the camera work.  Its hard to see anyone in relation to other dancers.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

Victoria, Dayton, Brennan, Bridget, Caroline, Hannah, Daphne, Rachel, Malena, Gabby, and Jalyn are the rookie candidates I can easily recognize.  I can tell who Bridget is because IMO she has such a pretty face that makes her look like she's always smiling.  I'm really rooting for her to make it.

I am in awe!! I recognise VK, Dayton, Brennan (only because of previous seasons though), Rachel, Malena, Jalyn though if they keep changing her hair weekly I dont think I will because if that was her with blonde hair in the preview, i had to stare at the picture for 5 minutes agog it was the same girl.

• Love 1

There are just so many TCCs this year. It's tough to keep them all straight, especially if you're trying to stay spoiler-free and aren't in the other threads around here with photos and more info. I think TCC Madeline is the prettiest one.  I noticed her last year and was really upset when she got cut.  

One "storyline" I've noticed a lot more this year -- and I have to think that this was a deliberate thing on the part of Kelli, Charlotte and the producers -- is more of an emphasis on the sisterhood, women supporting women, emphasis on education and doing good works stuff.  I think it's partly to counteract the lawsuit from Erika, and some other negative publicity focused on other NFL cheerleading teams.  

• Love 7
50 minutes ago, Nancybeth said:

There are just so many TCCs this year. It's tough to keep them all straight, especially if you're trying to stay spoiler-free and aren't in the other threads around here with photos and more info. I think TCC Madeline is the prettiest one.  I noticed her last year and was really upset when she got cut.  

One "storyline" I've noticed a lot more this year -- and I have to think that this was a deliberate thing on the part of Kelli, Charlotte and the producers -- is more of an emphasis on the sisterhood, women supporting women, emphasis on education and doing good works stuff.  I think it's partly to counteract the lawsuit from Erika, and some other negative publicity focused on other NFL cheerleading teams.  

I thinkk that's part of why this season feels so forced and contrived. instead of letting any of that come through naturally or even in somewhat identical sounding talking heads ith the vets waxing lyrical about being 'sisters', we're getting it rammed home that these are well educated young women just trying to do their thing and uspporting each other and hyping each other up and instead of it seeming genuine, it feels shallow and manipulative because it feels like someone fed it into a PR machine and they said 'hey, do this super fake graduation ceremony and it'll seem super wholesome'.

• Love 9

LOL @CaseyRe, don't give me too much credit, I have reasons for who I remember:

Victoria & Dayton...we all know them

Brennan...because she's Brennan :)

Bridget, because I think she's the prettiest

Caroline, because I saw a picture of her after finals and something about her face reminded me of my all time favorite, Meredith

Hannah, because she has a unique look

Daphne, because I think she's a dead ringer for former DCC Hannah

Rachel from her pageant pictures

Malena, because she's been featured so much

Gabby is easy since she's the only Asian rookie candidate

Jalyn, because of her hair color

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, ByTor said:

LOL @CaseyRe, don't give me too much credit, I have reasons for who I remember:

Victoria & Dayton...we all know them

Brennan...because she's Brennan :)

Bridget, because I think she's the prettiest

Caroline, because I saw a picture of her after finals and something about her face reminded me of my all time favorite, Meredith

Hannah, because she has a unique look

Daphne, because I think she's a dead ringer for former DCC Hannah

Rachel from her pageant pictures

Malena, because she's been featured so much

Gabby is easy since she's the only Asian rookie candidate

Jalyn, because of her hair color

I play “where’s Lily” when I watch the episodes because posters say there’s a Lily and I totally believe them and yet I have no idea who she is.  One day.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, JohnGalt said:

No word of alie, I have zero memory of this girl. all the blondes do start to blend for me but wow, sparks not a single memory. oh dear.  i know every year always has the rookie candidates that are features more than others, but having two legacies this year (esp with so heavily featuring VK and TK) AND the contrived nonsense, theres less dance and less time spent on all the rookies getting a little air time.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, JohnGalt said:

I think you’re talking about Taylor T. Lily hasn’t been in the office yet.

Yep, you're right. That was Taylor. I haven't been this lost over the tccs since season 6, and I read spoilers, so I really have no excuse lol. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Coyote516 said:

I love Victoria! She is always smiling and so funny! She has a great attitude! 

download.jpg

I like her a lot too (although it seems like a very unpopular opinion on this board).   She looks really pretty in that photo.

In this latest episode I thought she was really cute in the Jay segment.

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, DCCme said:

I play “where’s Lily” when I watch the episodes because posters say there’s a Lily and I totally believe them and yet I have no idea who she is.  One day.

There really is a Lily. We may never meet her if CMT has their way, but she totally exists. 

26 minutes ago, rose711 said:

There are two Taylors? I had no idea.

Yes! Taylor T and Taylor J. One is blonde, one is brunette. 

Edited by Loves2Dance
  • Love 2
On 9/7/2018 at 10:48 AM, NoChtngWhenEtng said:

I think most of these girls have well to do parents/means. Look how many of them have LV totes. 15+ years of dance training is not cheap. All the California girls (Maggie, Milan, Daphne) are from super nice areas (Palos Verdes, Los Gatos, Newport Beach). I'm not as familiar with the Texas cities, but I'm sure it's similar. 

Malena has crazy eyes and one step away from losing it. We'll see how she progresses.

Speaking of crazy eyes - Brennan! She seeemed like she was about to burst into tears during the food diary interview. It's kind of demeaning to make a 27(?) year old tell you what she ate!

I don't think we've ever seen them run on treadmills before. Kind of odd and does not make great television. 

I wish they showed Michelle Keys talking to Judy and Kelli privately about the TCC. It's my favorite part. 

I get why Jasmine was cut, but I don't get how she made training camp. She obviously was more a cheerleader than a dancer. 

Love the comment, and had to LOL about the crazy eyes-saw this straight away! Also, Molly is from Danville, CA which I is extremely affluent. These girls are from money.

• Love 3
On 9/7/2018 at 2:13 PM, PrincessLeia said:

I honestly think Jay is kind of an idiot. I’ve been watching the old seasons, which feature a lot of Jay, so maybe I’m just completely on Jay overload. 

Sorry, I’m being rude, but I really didn’t care for the Jay segment and all of the improper form really bothers me. So many girls had terrible form for pushups and sit-ups and they could get hurt. A good trainer is constantly evaluating proper form and making corrections.

I think he is an idiot, too! I fast forward through him, no matter what. I find him dim and pointless. 

• Love 4

He is an idiot. Situps are so passes' now. Not to mention no 2 girls were doing them the same way. They are so hard on your next, too. I think those gals are in fantastic shape no matter how many setups they can do or how fast their mile is. I was never a fast runner but I can run a half marathon. But according to Jay I would be considered not fit because my mile is slower. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Dccfanatic said:

Love the comment, and had to LOL about the crazy eyes-saw this straight away! Also, Molly is from Danville, CA which I is extremely affluent. These girls are from money.

yet when I opined that to be a DCC you had to have parents with some money, I got pillored for it...

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, cgloss said:

Jay's segments annoy me, but when Jay is a judge, I find his comments to be insightful. I also liked that he called out the favoritism Cassie was receiving when she auditioned poorly due to injury.

I'll agree with you on that one. I think it was him who said they've cut vets for less. 

• Love 4
On 9/7/2018 at 1:21 PM, CaseyRe said:

everything is about VK. they are doing this girl zero favours.  I literally said out loud at the time of Jasmine's cut, 'jeez, we're hearing more from VK how this hurts her, a girl she's known 3 weeks, than the GIRL WHO HAS BEEN CUT'.

These two were in a photo together from finals where Jasmine is riding on VKs back, I think they are friends.

On 9/8/2018 at 5:47 PM, Jess14 said:

Lol at Kelli encouraging that rookie candidate to go to law school and even bigger lol at the girl saying she'll be a lawyer by day and a DCC by night. Ok, then! When she finds that job, let me know. I'll considered joining her there lol. Likewise, when she finds the law school and first year law school professors who are ok with her not reading her selections before class because she was at practice all night, I'd love to know the name of that school as well. Also, there is actually a rule that first-year students cannot be employed more than 20 hours a week while taking a full course load (and some schools have more stringent requirements). The DCCs are supposedly "part-time." I'm curious how often the girls work more than that.  

That woman was clearly asked to say she was considering law school. She said it so wishy washy, it was almost like she had thought about it once for two seconds, mentioned it to the producers and they decided to run with it. You are not going to law school while you are a DCC. There is no chance. Any lawyers here?? I can’t imagine that would be possible at all, and I bet she never will. 

20 hours ago, hilaryvm said:

Because the uniform was designed to accentuate curves in the best possible way, and then they started taking all these stick skinny hard-bodies. Not that their bodies don’t also look amazing, maybe even better on camera, in regular clothes, but Dayton (with a softer figure) has the ideal body type for the uniform. 

3 hours ago, rose711 said:

Jay just seemed off this year. Maybe it’s me. He seemed more punishing and critical than motivating

Jay is so 2001, this style of working out is not currently popular, and it. Ow feels weird and outdated, where it used to feel current and serious. They should ditch him for someone younger and cooler. I feel like that sharif guy is gunning for the job, everyone is always working out there. 

Edited by Collette1104
  • Love 4
Just now, Collette1104 said:

These two were in a photo together from finals where Jasmine is riding on VKs back, I think they are friends.

That woman was clearly asked to say she was considering law school. She said it so wushu washy, it was almost like she had thought about it once for two seconds, mentioned it to the producers and they decided to run with it. You are not going to law school while you are a DCC. There is no chance. Any lawyers here?? I can’t imagine that would be possible at all, and I bet she never will. 

Because the uniform was designed to accentuate curves in the best possible way, and then they started taking all these stick skinny hard-bodies. Not that their bodies don’t also look amazing, maybe even better on camera, in regular clothes, but Dayton (with a softer figure) has the ideal body type for the uniform. 

Jay is so 2001, this style of working out is not currently popular, and it. Ow feels weird and outdated, where it used to feel current and serious. They should ditch him for someone younger and cooler. I feel like that sharif guy is gunning for the job, everyone is always working out there. 

My husband is a lawyer.... no. Law school is a full time job and that first year is a doozy. No way are you a DCC and going to law school, even if you found a part time program. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Collette1104 said:

That woman was clearly asked to say she was considering law school. She said it so wushu washy, it was almost like she had thought about it once for two seconds, mentioned it to the producers and they decided to run with it. You are not going to law school while you are a DCC. There is no chance. Any lawyers here?? I can’t imagine that would be possible at all, and I bet she never will. 

I’m an attorney, and no, it can’t be done, and the law school would likely not allow it. You could perhaps manage it the third year. I had an incredible amount of free time that last year, but year one - you have no control over your class schedule, the amount of reading is incredible, and you actually have to read and prepare for class because you don’t know when you’re going to get called on by the professor. There’s an effort to change the way grading works and is perceived, but when I was in law school, grades are basically all that matters the first year. Anyone devoting that amount of time to something other than school, like DCC, wouldn’t be taken seriously. 

Same applies for medical school x2. Masters programs might be doable with DCC, depending on the program. 

• Love 9
35 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

I’m an attorney, and no, it can’t be done, and the law school would likely not allow it. You could perhaps manage it the third year. I had an incredible amount of free time that last year, but year one - you have no control over your class schedule, the amount of reading is incredible, and you actually have to read and prepare for class because you don’t know when you’re going to get called on by the professor. There’s an effort to change the way grading works and is perceived, but when I was in law school, grades are basically all that matters the first year. Anyone devoting that amount of time to something other than school, like DCC, wouldn’t be taken seriously. 

Same applies for medical school x2. Masters programs might be doable with DCC, depending on the program. 

yup, lived with two law students during uni and if i thought my work load was high. there's was insane. there's the lectures, then separate moot court stuff, then smaller group sessions with professors, and that's before you even get to the sheer quanitity of cases they were having to read nightly.  one of my friends had a weekend part time waitressing job to make rent and I don't know how she survived.  mostly coffee. she could be on campus from 8am -8pm and that was just in various lectures and moot court stuff, before she even got to the library.

37 minutes ago, Jess14 said:

wushu washy

I remember thinking this. so vague, so wishy washy like 'oh i originally wanted to do law school'.  that's not even saying she wants to go to law school anyway. that's 'at one point I thought about it but not anymore'. but it sounds vaguely good.

also rewatching that bit, it sequed into VK's fitting and something about her 'ooh I'm working this' really rubbed me the wrong way.  for me went over the line from confident to cocky. the other girls all fall into line with the 'oh its such an honour to wear this, never thought I'd see myself in it' and Vk's all 'yeah damn I look good'. I have come to the conclusion this girls personallity isn't for me, which is fine, but I think its because sometimes her confidence comes across, to me, as arrogance.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

yup, lived with two law students during uni and if i thought my work load was high. there's was insane. there's the lectures, then separate moot court stuff, then smaller group sessions with professors, and that's before you even get to the sheer quanitity of cases they were having to read nightly.  one of my friends had a weekend part time waitressing job to make rent and I don't know how she survived.  mostly coffee. she could be on campus from 8am -8pm and that was just in various lectures and moot court stuff, before she even got to the library.

Yep, while first year is the worst by far, the second year is super busy with on-campus interviews for summer clerkships and follow-up interviews taking up lots of time. Then, most people are also involved in journals and/or moot court, and grades are still very important because most firms hand out permanent job offers at the end of the summer before the third year. 

For the record, I’m not really expecting DCCs know all of this (only reason I do is because I experienced it, and I’m not sure that I wouldn’t choose a different path of I had to do it over lol), but in general, the fake “we’re so supportive of education, and we want well-rounded women with careers” is such bs. They want people who live and breath DCC. That’s perfectly fine to want that, but spare me the superficial suppprtive comments!

• Love 7