Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E06: Jump Split Reckoning

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

This is spoiler free episode topic, discuss only the episode, not current performances or social media. BE CIVIL DO NO DISCUSS EACH OTHER, TELL OTHERS HOW TO POST/FEEL/THINK. Posters are allowed to post whatever they feel as long as it does not violate the posting guidelines. There is no need for consensus or agreement. If you see a problematic post, report, do not engage.

Malena - you hinted/told K&J that you have a concern about the TCC scheduling and starting popping off  SMU/college football/job title/ responsibilities, AND it was a night you wasn't as strong in the dances?... Girl... 

Edited by sATL
  • Love 7

I am proud of all of the TCCs for doing a mile on the treadmill, as I know running is probably not some cardio of choice .. Dayton that is very good to do a 8:xx mile. That was inspiring. Going to the gym tomorrow !!

Jay stop shouting. The women are only 20 feet in front of you.

• Love 16

In the office does Kelly's chair and Judy's sit up really high?

It might be the camera angle but it seemed Kristin was sitting way lower. 

ETA It didn't seem that way during second office visits. 

Edited by LisaWl7TR
8 minutes ago, kcrabtree06 said:

Was anyone else sitting on their couch at 9:30pm eating a big cupcake from their favorite bakery during the entire fitness section? No, just me!?

I was cooking up some late night cheese tortellini. Not a whole lot better LOL!

• Love 7

Smh Malena.  I hate when these girls quit their jobs over this stuff when they are struggling.

That Jasmine cut was really strange - we really didn’t see much evidence that she couldn’t dance well and she was really pretty.   Interesting how upset VK was over her cut - were they close before auditions?

Omg who was that vet that fell on their butt in the show group audition preview?  Lol - so embarrassing...I feel bad.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, sATL said:

I'm confused too.. If your the "director" - yes you have great responsibilities but I would think you would have control enough of your schedule to get off work in time for rehearsal. Maybe ask your under-team members to help put until camp is over - which gives them a boost in their job.  I don't know how far SMU is from the facility though - is it a time crunch to get there b/c of a meeting or some other deadline ? And that is a position that is kinda hard to come by - meaning you rose/trained/educated  to get there - not something that you just say, let me resign to be a DCC.  And it might mean doing the paperwork side of the job has to be done off hours, on weekends, etc. I love college football, but I am trying to think just how busy are you in May/June - when training camp begins. The newly signed committed recruits are trying to finish high school .. and its a little early to be worried about the up and coming SR class.

Kelli is right - what happens to her career outside of being a TCC is not her worry - but I think she should have told Malena exactly where she stands as a dancer. She had two bad nights and missed the session with last weeks alumni. 

So true. To give up what appears to be such a great job is mind boggling. But then again, we only see glimpses of the big picture. 

3 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

Ice cream on my couch over here!   Lol!!!

Chocolate covered almonds. 

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, sATL said:

I am proud of all of the TCCs for doing a mile on the treadmill, as I know running is probably not some cardio of choice .. Dayton that is very good to do a 8:xx mile. That was inspiring. Going to the gym tomorrow !!

Jay stop shouting. The women are only 20 feet in front of you.

She was all disappointed in 8:45 and I would be stoked. I’ve tried so hard to be a good runner but my lungs just won’t work with me. You go Dayton. 

The Jay deal was a little bizarre. Seemed forced.

VK seems a tad contrived. I wish we could see her actual personality instead of the show face.

i thought the uniform fittings was cute. At least they get a picture in the uniform.

cant wait for Travis! 

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, ATLGirl said:

I love that they had an update on Deryn Derbigny! She was always a favorite DCC of mine, very classy and kind. She looks great and seems very happy.

Found this article about her wedding last year:

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/society/11-10-17-wedding-derbigny-toulson-meyerson-donnie-brown-cowboys-cheerleader/#slide=4

Deryn is one of my all time favorites!  Thanks for sharing the article about her wedding .

Just now, pizzaislife said:

She was all disappointed in 8:45 and I would be stoked. I’ve tried so hard to be a good runner but my lungs just won’t work with me. You go Dayton. 

The Jay deal was a little bizarre. Seemed forced.

VK seems a tad contrived. I wish we could see her actual personality instead of the show face.

i thought the uniform fittings was cute. At least they get a picture in the uniform.

cant wait for Travis! 

There is no way Victoria ran faster than Dayton!  And I would also be stoked by a sub 9-minute mile.  

• Love 4

When Gabbi was in the office, did anyone feel like there was an undercurrent of “We think you padded your resume”? Are the mentioned recommendations something the candidates have to submit, or are they a result of the background checks?

Also, this year’s focus on education and career aspirations is clearly (to me, anyway) an attempt at image control after Erica’s lawsuit hit the news. 

• Love 15

Oh, and the whole UCLA thing was cringe fo me. Can there be a segment about Daphne that doesn’t mention UCLA repeatedly? - it’s like every 5th word is UCLA with her.   I also find it hard to believe she was the first TCC to ever miss a college graduation? - I kind of feel the show just wanted to harp on UCLA, UCLA, UCLA some more and that’s why they did that.

And haven’t there been several who missed their high school graduations - which IMO is a much bigger deal.  I actually think they should just be allowed to go to stuff like that - is one day that big of a deal that you need to miss an event like that?

6 minutes ago, MelissaMinion said:

When Gabbi was in the office, did anyone feel like there was an undercurrent of “We think you padded your resume”? Are the mentioned recommendations something the candidates have to submit, or are they a result of the background checks?

Also, this year’s focus on education and career aspirations is clearly (to me, anyway) an attempt at image control after Erica’s lawsuit hit the news. 

I think Kelli was trying to say that she’s not living up to what the recruiters and contacts Kelli has that strongly recommended they take her into camp said about her.

I bet not all of them come in w/ all kinds of recommendations, etc. but the ones that do they take in just cause they trust certain industry contacts - that’s probably how Gabby got in, but she’s not living when all the others as well recommended as her have. 

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

Oh, and the whole UCLA thing was cringe fo me. Can there be a segment about Daphne that doesn’t mention UCLA repeatedly.   I kind of find it hard to believe she was the first TCC to ever miss a college graduation? - I kind of feel the show just wanted to harp on UCLA, UCLA, UCLA some more and that’s why they did it.

And haven’t there been several who missed their high school graduations - which IMO is a much bigger deal.  I actually think they should just be allowed to go to stuff like that - is one day that big of a deal that you need to miss an event like that?

Kelsi miss her grandfather's funeral if I remember correctly

Edited by scorpio1031
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

Oh, and the whole UCLA thing was cringe fo me. Can there be a segment about Daphne that doesn’t mention UCLA repeatedly.   I kind of find it hard to believe she was the first TCC to ever miss a college graduation? - I kind of feel the show just wanted to harp on UCLA, UCLA, UCLA some more and that’s why they did it.

Unless they plan to do that "ceremony" at rehearsal for everybody who misses they shouldn't have done it.

Agree.  the TCC shouldn't be penalized for one day of travel. Some universities though do have a couple of days of different ceremonies. HS graduation is only a couple of hours.  

Both HS and college graduations are also a big deal, very big deal, in some, probably most families.  For some family members, reservations (travel/hotel) and plans have been made a long time ago - usually at the start of the school year. So what now - the rest of  family goes to the event and the guest of honor isn't there ? As a parent, I want to see my  offspring walk across that stage when their name is called - it is my graduation too ! Granted my offspring, might care less...

I'm happy that there are two wanting-to-be-lawyers in the group. Waiting to hear about their progress - I need to commit their names (Daphne & Amber)/faces to memory.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

Oh, and the whole UCLA thing was cringe fo me. Can there be a segment about Daphne that doesn’t mention UCLA repeatedly? - it’s like every 5th word is UCLA with her.   I also find it hard to believe she was the first TCC to ever miss a college graduation? - I kind of feel the show just wanted to harp on UCLA, UCLA, UCLA some more and that’s why they did that.

I think Kelli was trying to say that she’s not living up to what the recruiters and contacts Kelli has that strongly recommended they take her into camp said about her.

I bet not all of them come in w/ all kinds of recommendations, etc. but the ones that do they take in just cause they trust certain industry contacts - that’s probably how Gabby got in, but she’s not living when all the others as well recommended as her have. 

This totally doesn’t matter...but UCLA is on the quarter system, so it’s one of the few schools that gets out in June instead of May. I think that’s the only reason they did it. UCLA is extremely prestigious, but I think it was just the timing.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, TinyHands said:

This totally doesn’t matter...but UCLA is on the quarter system, so it’s one of the few schools that gets out in June instead of May. I think that’s the only reason they did it. UCLA is extremely prestigious, but I think it was just the timing.

Yep, definitely on the quarter system.  I thoroughly enjoyed my duration at UCLA. ;o)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Loves2Dance said:

I don't think the issue is training camp, but instead, football season. College generally plays the night before the NFL and if Malena was expected to travel with her team, how could she always be back in time for the home Dallas games? 

hmmm. I guess I need to know more what does the " Director of Football Recruiting Operations " do... I was thinking they handle the logistics of getting the team (those who know the details of the football pgm from a player standpoint) ready to go chase HS football stars and then getting them all of the necessities to get enrolled/accepted in SMU, if that is the school of choice. I guess it would be "nice" if you were at the games of the newly college students you assisted in getting there, but I didn't thing that would be a mandatory job task.   

Not to be mean, but it may take a few seasons (or a blow-out score) for the player that was wanted so badly as true freshmen to get put into the game. I guess I wouldn't be cancelling plans waiting for that moment to happen.

Or I guess the job could entail getting everyone (coaches, players, trainers, equipment, etc) to an away game and back.

Edited by sATL

kcrabtree06 - No, I was sitting on my couch eating a bowl of chocolate chip ice cream and remembering the fastest time I ever ran my 2 miles on the Army Physical Fitness Test (25 years in the Army) was 13:42.  And that was when I was 35ish.  Not bad, but nothing my 64 year old self would be able to duplicate.  Kind of sad. :-(

• Love 5

I love Jay! So happy to see him back on the show and happy that he read the girls the riot act. He was right to say what he said.

LOVE Deryn!  So happy to see her again.

I was crying during the graduation ceremony. I’m such a sap. It was really sweet that they did that (even if it was for their own reasons). 

I wish they would have told Jasmine that she needs style classes. And that they want her to try out again. Why didn’t they say that?????  She’s adorable. I hope she tries out again.

Edited by PBSLover
  • Love 4

I was surprised over the cut tonight. maybe they edited out the parts that showed her dancing subpar? I cannot believe that the dancer who has a lingistics degree is still there. I really like her on the show but every time the camera pans to her she looks completely lost and is doing the wrong steps and her counts are off. She was way more subpar than any of the other dancers (that I could tell). And how come they aren't showing Erin or Brennan? I would like to hear K and J comment about Brennan's facial expressions and if she has improved from last year. They made such a huge deal about it that I think it warrants a comment this year. Or maybe it's edited out. I really want her to make this team. She would have if the two dancers that didn't finish the season had been cut. Last year Kalyssa was my favorite rookie but I don't really understand what's going on with her instagram pics. Some are pretty racy, especially in the beginning. 

So how funny would it be to have a drinking game? Every time the word "iconic", "showmanship", "power", or "world class" is used you take a drink. And you can take a drink whenever Melissa Rycroft is in an episode. I can't put my finger on it but she irritates me. I wish she wasn't on the show. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Leia1021 said:

kcrabtree06 - No, I was sitting on my couch eating a bowl of chocolate chip ice cream and remembering the fastest time I ever ran my 2 miles on the Army Physical Fitness Test (25 years in the Army) was 13:42.  And that was when I was 35ish.  Not bad, but nothing my 64 year old self would be able to duplicate.  Kind of sad. :-(

thank you for your service.

that still gives a 1 mile  in under 7 min  - which is really good -  any tips ? (planning to do a 5k soon)

Seems like the treadmills wasn't  going that fast (at zero incline) when the TCC were reporting 7 minute miles... but I guess that was the camera angle,

Don't they hold the feet/knees on the sit-up part in the APFT ?

Back to Jay - I guess his wife got pushed aside from the segment due to having to use the staff from Cowboy Fit ? I'm used to seeing them both together for the fitness session.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4

sATL - I trained by running farther than I needed for test day, usually 6 miles a day, 5 or 6 days a week, at about a 8:00/mile pace. On test day since it was only 2 miles, I always tried to push myself.  I have to admit though, that at the 1-mile mark that day, when I heard my time called at 6:31, I pretty much thought "Oh crap, I'll never make it after starting so fast." I really did feel like my lungs were going to burst when I hit the finish line.  Never ran as fast before or since. (Had to top running at 51 though.  All those years took a toll on my right hip.  Still really miss it).

You're correct about the sit-ups.  Another "testee" did hold our ankles.  I remember thinking that holding someone else's ankles was almost as strenuous as doing my own sit-ups, since the tendency is to want to lift the feet off the ground after the first 50 or so.  It took a lot of muscle power to keep the other person's feet on the ground.  I got out in 2002, so not sure what is going on currently.

• Love 2

1 - Jaylyns hair is better this week.  It seems darker.

2- VK shape didn’t bother me at all this week.  Neither did her personality.  Maybe she’s winning me over. Maybe not.

3 - Kelli said Lindsay’s kicks were short and snappy...that’s the kiss of death

4 - still don’t get the Malena appeal.  

5 - found the Malena and Kristin office visits awkward

6 - Dayton - uniform fitting - Wow!  Also glad she and Shelly got their mother daughter moment.

7 - I did appreciate the Kelli as a real person screwing up Malena’s name.  We e all been there.  Or at least I’ve been there and I hope it’s not just Kelli and I.

8 - Rachel seems like her hair, skin, and eyes are all the same color.  She needs some contrast.

9 - VK in the uniform - her uniform didn’t bug me

10 - why oh why must Jay yell all the time.  *mute*

11 - I’m sure I was supposed to be watching the girls and admiring their prowess but really I was just looking at the purple blocks thinking that’s what they use to prop my feet up when I get a pedicure and wow I could use a pedicure.

12 - still a Brennan fan.  I’d like to see more of her.

13 - graduation ceremony forced but cute that her mom was on the phone.  I wonder how many times that had to film that.  

14 - Michelle Keys has the tiniest little legs

15 - I think I’ve managed to memorize Hannah and Bridget finally 

16 - Kelli saying Kristen is pastel...well that’s just Kelli speak for see ya.

17 - the cut surprised me

• Love 12

These rookies are so good. Usually jump splits and kick lines reveal more  people with obvious flaws

i can see Jasmine getting cut because of her feet but everyone else seemed pretty good for the first day of jump splits

Giving up a career job for DCC is not a choice I would make. I get that Malena can’t possibly do both jobs. I wonder if she left training camp if she would be seen as selfish for taking a spot when she knew she had a job conflict.

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, bombast said:

My heart sank one zillion miles, as if I were her dad, when Malena gave up her job at SMU – presumably a great opportunity – to become a pro-bono pom-pom girl. 

This, my friends, is why men rule the world.

#shattered

I may be repeating others...but Kelly has a total blind spot for her. So many red flags and false hope. I don't see her on the field due to memory issues and dance skill. DCC has the most choreo, so if you could not do it there (NY) you aint gonna do it in Texas.  Never have we seen such negotiation regarding work. Flashback to the Pageant Sisters. I wanted to have a mother daughter talk with Malena. Will have to wait and see...but I think this woman just lost her dream job for nothing. Kelli will owe her a broadcasting job. Am I missing some backstage opportunities for cut DCC's ? Boo.

• Love 8

Those Power Squad t shirts were ugly as fug. Army green and pink and blue do not mix.

HOW VK's midsection got ignored during the uniform fitting is a mystery to me. 

Charlotte back tracking her comment about DCC>education just rubbed me the wrong way. Somebody please throw her a sandwich. I mean, really. She is scary thin.

Jay needs to stop acting like that high school teacher we hate due to being a kill joy. Lighten up, dude!

I feel like Jasmine should have been given some more time. They should have cut Kristin first.

Edited by tinabee1967
  • Love 16
37 minutes ago, WaterSpirit said:

I may be repeating others...but Kelly has a total blind spot for her. So many red flags and false hope. I don't see her on the field due to memory issues and dance skill. DCC has the most choreo, so if you could not do it there (NY) you aint gonna do it in Texas.  Never have we seen such negotiation regarding work. Flashback to the Pageant Sisters. I wanted to have a mother daughter talk with Malena. Will have to wait and see...but I think this woman just lost her dream job for nothing. Kelli will owe her a broadcasting job. Am I missing some backstage opportunities for cut DCC's ? Boo.

and probably dream salary at that age. until she finds another position with the same level of responsibilities.  In my field a "director" is pretty high on the $$ chart - experienced PM, 2nd level  mrgr, budget authority level. When they did the audition segment, I noticed Malena had a pretty nice home with a grand piano in the background.

I know $$ isn't everything ... but it nice to have... :)

Funny we had someone gradate from college ( I forgot what major) to start their career , before or after DCC and one to pause her career all in the same episode. Does make me wonder if that is the message K&C want to send to future applicants...hmmm

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, bombast said:

My heart sank one zillion miles, as if I were her dad, when Malena gave up her job at SMU – presumably a great opportunity – to become a pro-bono pom-pom girl. 

This, my friends, is why men rule the world.

#shattered

Agreed a zillion %! And, Malena looked like she did not have the guts to make the right decision. You are better off taking a position with the possible opportunity for advancement over one that is a short term career. If she would have said goodbye to Kelli and Judy she would have earned mad respect, but no.

• Love 7

I think Malena is a bit unrealistic about life. Did she think her job would give her time off for all the evenings she would need to do? Did she think she could miss practices?

I don’t think Kelli and Judy helped her here or gave her good advice. I know it’s not their decision, but she has issues with memory. It’s not like she’s the strongest dancer and the team is super competitive this year.

I understand it’s their job to let the girls make choices, but we’ve seen her making mistakes - way more than others. She’s not the only one with a job.

I wish they had pushed her harder in her considering her choices and her future realistically.

edit to add - im contrasting it with Courtney the tiny girl from Florida. She was in pharmaceutical sales and Judy said “but that’s a hard job to get” at least implying she should think hard about it. So she ended up quitting her job, made the team, lasted a year and went home.

Maybe it was worth it to her, but looking at it from far away, quitting a job for DCC doesn’t seem smart.

Edited by rose711
I remembered the other girl who quit a good job for DCC
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

Smh Malena.  I hate when these girls quit their jobs over this stuff when they are struggling.

That Jasmine cut was really strange - we really didn’t see much evidence that she couldn’t dance well and she was really pretty.   Interesting how upset VK was over her cut - were they close before auditions?

Omg who was that vet that fell on their butt in the show group audition preview?  Lol - so embarrassing...I feel bad.

agree she's an absolutely gorgeous girl, but imo her dancing was...it isn't that she can't dance well, she comes across very accomplished in that regard, but her dance is...very powerful, yes, but it was sooo choppy, there was no flow to it, it was like I was watching her count out the beats and parse out the choreo in her head.  her style didn't fit at all, it was very short and sharp and distracting from the more flowing dancers around her.  with practice she can rein that in, keep the power but stop rushing the choreo and being so darn choppy. my lower back ached just watching how sharp some of her movements were.  i think if she were to spend the year sort of unlearning some of her former cheer style and retraining her body into a more lyrical graceful style, she could really have a shot next year.  but again, just my opinion..

• Love 6

Wow, I was impressed with the kick line. The ladies all looked pretty good. 

Also, those shown in the fittings looked good. Wished we had seen Brennan. 

Oh Malena, sigh. 

Still not impressed with Kristen or Rachel. 

Why did they have to show the Lexi kick. Couldn't they just build her up instead of a backhanded compliment. 

The Star fitness segment feels like a big infomerical. Blah. 

I have to take a station break and get kids to school, ha!