Type keyword(s) to search

JD and Abbie: Captured Before the Rapture

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Hey JD, are you and your cronies on the ground in KY after the horrible tornadoes there? Or is that not south enough for you? 🙄

They can’t bring their fake badges and guns there, so no.

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Yeah, I saw that AR was affected, but KY was fucked over big time. Plenty of debris for these dumbasses to clean up.

But can they sky dive themselves in? How about scuba diving? 

• LOL 17
  • Love 1

Good. They'll actually be forced to do some real work here in the US. No running around with their phones taking pictures of strangers in distress. They can clean up debris. And they can stay until its all cleaned up.

• Love 8

Mods if my comments are against the rules, please feel free to delete.

I have to delurk to say that Franklin Graham is on Fox right now discussing how his Samaritan's Purse works, and is asking for volunteers and donations.  He slams a comment towards a certain group.  His exact words were:  We do not show up, take a few pictures, ask for donations and leave.  We stay until the job is done.

My family in laws believe in this organization, and have helped several times when Alabama is hit hard.  It is a wonderful program.

Abby is the best thing that has ever happened to JD.  Watching what little of their life we see, he is truly happy, and very proud of his little family.  

My hearts break for KY, and IL.  Prayers to the families, and those involved in rescue.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

I just picture the medic corps sitting around eating chik fil a and posing for pictures. Work? What’s that?

Don't they do more than that though? Like commandeering supplies and threatening people with guns and badges?

• Useful 3
  • LOL 13
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

Don't they do more than that though? Like commandeering supplies and threatening people with guns and badges?

I think they only do that outside of the US where the infrastructure after a disaster is so poor that there's no chance they'll be caught.  American law enforcement is less likely to look the other way.

• Useful 3
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

I’m just thankful that The Bates/Duggar’s aren’t becoming real police officers. My guess they don’t qualify. 

The fact that it would be real, grueling hard work also puts them off it. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

For two weeks after a tragic weather event in my area, police were stationed at numerous intersections surrounding the neighborhood. At first to get through you had to show a license with an address inside the checkpoints. After the first few days they allowed folks with contractor licenses through. A ding-dong like truck from the Red Cross was also allowed in. Of course anyone could walk in at various points. But in those initial days the contents of many homes, mine included, were in piles of debris, so they did their best to keep looters out.

I'm guessing the Duggar/Bates boys would have made it past the check points. And honestly if they did, it would have been the one and only time I would have been so very glad to see them.

• Useful 9
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I’m just thankful that The Bates/Duggar’s aren’t becoming real police officers. My guess they don’t qualify. 

Zach Bates did.  He quit earlier this year though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
Just now, Cinnabon said:

Any idea why he quit and what he’s doing for work now?

Attention-seeking, like his sisters, I guess. Social media always needs more influencers! 😐

I wouldn't mind if JD and Abbie were expecting again. They're a young couple with a toddler. It just seems normal for them, not like some of his siblings who are following in their parents' overly productive footsteps. 

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Any idea why he quit and what he’s doing for work now?

Zach claimed that he didn't see his family enough. From what I can tell, he works at the boutique and on his house under construction. I don't think he's doing anything for real money.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Zach claimed that he didn't see his family enough. From what I can tell, he works at the boutique and on his house under construction. I don't think he's doing anything for real money.

Lol no one sees their family enough when they work full time. These are the same people who suggest that poor parents should get 2nd and 3rd jobs if they can’t afford to house and feed their kids. And then blame the parents when those kids are inevitably unsupervised and get into trouble. 

• Love 24
7 hours ago, Bessiesue said:

I have to delurk to say that Franklin Graham is on Fox right now discussing how his Samaritan's Purse works, and is asking for volunteers and donations.  He slams a comment towards a certain group.  His exact words were:  We do not show up, take a few pictures, ask for donations and leave.  We stay until the job is done.

My family in laws believe in this organization, and have helped several times when Alabama is hit hard.  It is a wonderful program.

Abby is the best thing that has ever happened to JD.  Watching what little of their life we see, he is truly happy, and very proud of his little family.  

My hearts break for KY, and IL.  Prayers to the families, and those involved in rescue.

While I certainly DO NOT agree with the Grahams’ stand on social issues, Samitarian’s Purse is a legit charity. They have a perfect rating with Charity Navigator and have a number of worldwide projects, like disaster relief and Operation Christmas Child. The help they provide undoubtedly comes with a big heaping dose of evangelism, but at least they provide tangible assistance to people who need it instead of hijacking bottled water and pulling guns on civilians.

• Useful 6
  • Love 10

Does anyone know how charities are rated? I've seen a few charts that show how much per dollar actually goes into the charities' purpose, but I'm not sure that shows the entire picture. Do they count the interest earned on having millions of dollars in the bank? Do they look to see if the "help" being provided is actually helpful?

I became very disillusioned to disaster relief help after experiencing a weather event. And watching MediPlay doing their "work" hasn't helped.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Does anyone know how charities are rated? I've seen a few charts that show how much per dollar actually goes into the charities' purpose, but I'm not sure that shows the entire picture. Do they count the interest earned on having millions of dollars in the bank? Do they look to see if the "help" being provided is actually helpful?

I became very disillusioned to disaster relief help after experiencing a weather event. And watching MediPlay doing their "work" hasn't helped.

The only source I rely on, and TBH I don't consult them very often, is Charity Navigator: https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=5593

I was extremely UNimpressed with the performance of the local Red Cross after a fire in a building (not mine) in my condo complex a few years ago. I was on the scene so I know what they did - which was basically nothing to help people who'd been turned out of their homes literally at midnight in December in Denver.

I keep telling myself not to judge a whole organization by one crappy performance, but still. I haven't donated to the RC since then. (This was 2 years before the pandemic, so that wasn't a factor, just saying.) 

• Useful 5
  • Love 7

On the topic of researching nonprofits:

The charity I volunteer with became a registered 501c3 in the past couple of years, and as a result, we've done some training sessions with local and state organizations that mentor nonprofits. It all got interrupted by the pandemic, so we're still working our way through it.

But at one session, the U of A Coop Extension advised us to check Guidestar to look at other charities' forms and to research nonprofits. Unfortunately, I think you have to have an account to see all the goodies, but I believe once you're a registered charity, you automatically get added to the system because our group is on there and we never consciously added it. 

There's a profile for Mediccorps, but I never created an account so can't see what else is lurking on there:

https://www.guidestar.org/profile/83-2978031

Just realized it's a free account. Hmm When I get some more free time, I might have to poke around on there!

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 4
  • Love 2
45 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

The only source I rely on, and TBH I don't consult them very often, is Charity Navigator: https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=5593

I was extremely UNimpressed with the performance of the local Red Cross after a fire in a building (not mine) in my condo complex a few years ago. I was on the scene so I know what they did - which was basically nothing to help people who'd been turned out of their homes literally at midnight in December in Denver.

I keep telling myself not to judge a whole organization by one crappy performance, but still. I haven't donated to the RC since then. (This was 2 years before the pandemic, so that wasn't a factor, just saying.) 

FYI, the RC only helps out after fires in certain locations.   I have no idea which ones actually do help people after their homes burn down.   I know my grandparents had s house fire and the local RC straight up told them to ask family for help because they do not.  This was in the Cleveland Ohio area back in the 60s.  

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Bessiesue said:

I’m a Kentuckian.  The damage here is unbelievable.  We’re all still in shock.  I felt a new level of fear Friday night and prayed more than I’ve ever prayed.  Samaritan’s Purse is the only organization to which I, and my church, donate.  They do exactly what they say they’re going to do, and they do it with love, care and compassion.  If you wish to donate to help the tornado victims, Samaritan’s Purse is the way to do it.  Thank you for any and all prayers for the people in my great state.  I love all of you. ❤️🩹

**I’m sorry for getting off topic, Mods.**

• Useful 3
  • Love 18
4 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I’m a Kentuckian.  The damage here is unbelievable.  We’re all still in shock.  I felt a new level of fear Friday night and prayed more than I’ve ever prayed.  Samaritan’s Purse is the only organization to which I, and my church, donate.  They do exactly what they say they’re going to do, and they do it with love, care and compassion.  If you wish to donate to help the tornado victims, Samaritan’s Purse is the way to do it.  Thank you for any and all prayers for the people in my great state.  I love all of you. ❤️🩹

**I’m sorry for getting off topic, Mods.**

We just watched footage of all of the damage on tv here in Ohio. Some people are still searching for their spouses and other family members. Thanks for the recommendation on donating. I fear many didn’t have tornado insurance and are going to need lots of help for quite some time 😢

• Love 4

Not to take away Zella's joy at poking around the MedicCorps info on Guidestar, but I realized I made an account years ago when I was treasurer of a non-profit.

The only 990EZ available is for 2019.  The 2020 was due November 15, 2020 (at the latest, if they filed for an extension).  It may have not been posted yet because there may be a lag with Guidestar.

Their 'income' in 2019, from gifts, etc was $23,868.  Their expenses broke down as follows: $9,169 for Bahamas relief.  It's called travel.  Their description:  "Travel expenses were for the purpose of providing assistance to Hurricane damaged areas in the Bahamas, providing emergency transportation for injured and needy."  Needless capitalization and misspellings are theirs.  Also, $764 for PayPal processing fees and $186 Franchise Tax for filing with the state.

On the home page, before you click to see the 990EZ, it says they have gross receipts of $14,312 and assets of $8,154.  I don't know if that is for 2020.  Someone more familiar with Guidestar might know.  It can't be cumulative, but I'm not sure what period of time it represents.

• Useful 9
  • Love 3
Just now, lilwhitelion said:

Not to take away Zella's joy at poking around the MedicCorps info on Guidestar, but I realized I made an account years ago when I was treasurer of a non-profit.

Haha no worries--thank you! That is interesting info and thanks for sharing!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

FYI, the RC only helps out after fires in certain locations.   I have no idea which ones actually do help people after their homes burn down.   I know my grandparents had s house fire and the local RC straight up told them to ask family for help because they do not.  This was in the Cleveland Ohio area back in the 60s.  

All I know is that a couple of people from the Red Cross showed up pretty quickly as the fire was still being fought with some bottled water and clipboards and started talking to people about where they would go to spend the night, and tried to get bossy and commandeer the clubhouse. Then it seemed they didn’t have any overnight accommodation to offer anyone, nor any arrangement for hotel rooms. One of them mumbled something about they were supposed to have vouchers or credit cards for rooms but they were locked up at their office and they didn’t have a key. Bottom line, they were all talk and no help.

ETA: This was a fire in a 40-unit condo building; for all I know the RC responds to the scene of multi-home emergencies and not to individual house fires. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 7
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

All I know is that a couple of people from the Red Cross showed up pretty quickly as the fire was still being fought with some bottled water and clipboards and started talking to people about where they would go to spend the night, and tried to get bossy and commandeer the clubhouse. Then it seemed they didn’t have any overnight accommodation to offer anyone, nor any arrangement for hotel rooms. One of them mumbled something about they were supposed to have vouchers or credit cards for rooms but they were locked up at their office and they didn’t have a key. Bottom line, they were all talk and no help.

The only help the Red Cross offered after our tragic weather event, was driving around once a day for a few weeks offering bottled water and a piece of ham, a piece of plastic wrapped cheese in between two slices of bread, to the folks who were cleaning up the debris that once was their homes. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice gesture, but considering the fact that areas less than a mile away in each direction were unaffected, we all had the ability to get food and water. And we obviously weren't sleeping in our non existent houses.

Catholic Charities gave each family affected a gift card.

That was it. I went from a normal day, coming home from work, to not even owning a toothbrush. Without family and friends helping us out, that already horrific situation would have been so much worse.

• Love 2

I guess Lawson was in Kentucky, the background pictures on his Instagram were of the devastation. Not sure exactly what they were doing but no sign of weapons or badges. So perhaps they are helping. But also a link to donate.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

In my area the Red Cross arranges for up to 5 days lodging, meal gift cards, and $50-$500 Visa cards depending on the damage if someone's house burns down. But, I won't donate for tragedies b/c those donations don't actually go to the tragedy at hand. Instead they're used for the following year. Which, I get that the Red Cross has to have realist numbers to budget, but I think it's false advertising. Plus, they're actively anti-LGBTQ+ (Sorry it is the Salvation Army that is anti-LGBQT+, not the Red Cross.)

Edited by Nysha
I was wrong, again.
  • Useful 5

I also do not give to charities because I don't think half the of money gets to the people in need, but I do donate to World Central Kitchen, run by Jose Andres.  They provide hot meals to ANYONE in need in times of crisis including first responders.   https://wck.org/.   They are currently in Kentucky and the other states that were affected by the tornados and they stay as long as they are need.  

Again, to Mod's sorry for going off topic.

• Useful 3
  • Love 20