Type keyword(s) to search

JD and Abbie: Captured Before the Rapture

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

My sister used to have to go to Oshkosh every year with her then-husband. She said it was awful...the sun and heat were terrible and not very good bathroom facilities there either. Abbie dressed her daughter very nicely. I love the watermelon dress!

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
25 minutes ago, floridamom said:

My sister used to have to go to Oshkosh every year with her then-husband. She said it was awful...the sun and heat were terrible and not very good bathroom facilities there either. Abbie dressed her daughter very nicely. I love the watermelon dress!

Gracie is always dressed so cute, and appropriately, too, even if we are all being defrauded by a toddler's bare shoulders.

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
23 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Gracie is always dressed so cute, and appropriately, too, even if we are all being defrauded by a toddler's bare shoulders.

And her clothes fit nicely. Even over her toddler tummy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

JD looks thinner.  Good for him, losing the doughboy look, no doubt with better food.

I remember JD stating his favorite meal (before marriage) was Stouffer’s lasagna. Made me wonder how he would feel about that slop if Abbie made him lasagna from scratch. It would be interesting to hear his views on the kind of food he ate for almost three decades versus now. 

• Love 16

What else were his choices? In his world, cooking is “wimmen’s” work. I think he had frozen, canned, or instant food to choose from. IIRC, didn’t Jessa make Bin a “homemade Italian dinner” of frozen Stouffer’s lasagna? Or am I making that up?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

What else were his choices? In his world, cooking is “wimmen’s” work. I think he had frozen, canned, or instant food to choose from. IIRC, didn’t Jessa make Bin a “homemade Italian dinner” of frozen Stouffer’s lasagna? Or am I making that up?

IIRC we saw the Stouffer lasagna more than once. It was what the Duggars served Jerm on one of his visits. Cos he’s Italian after all.

• LOL 16
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

IIRC we saw the Stouffer lasagna more than once. It was what the Duggars served Jerm on one of his visits. Cos he’s Italian after all.

Maybe that is what I am thinking. I knew somebody cooked Stouffers Lasagne for somebody. These Duggar’s are all interchangeable.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Westiepeach said:

Maybe that is what I am thinking. I knew somebody cooked Stouffers Lasagne for somebody. These Duggar’s are all interchangeable.

There was an episode where Jill and Jessa “ cooked a Mother’s Day dinner (Boob’s description)” for their SO’s families.

It consisted of Stouffer’s lasagna, frozen dinner rolls, packaged “salad,” and Jessa made some dessert with frozen strawberries and dumped way too much sugar on them. I don’t recall what that slop was supposed to be. 

The Duggars definition of cooking is very broad. I would have been embarrassed having that meal televised. Not everyone is a Martha Stewart, but open your wallet, use the excuse of concentrating on “fellowship,” and have the meal catered.

Boob looked like an ass showcasing his daughters’ lack of cooking skills.

I understand JD ate what was put in front of him. But he’s been the first Duggarling with independent income, and even got to work alone. He could have used that freedom to expand his gastronomic horizons. 

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Ok. I’m not gonna lie. When I was working and had teenagers at home, that was easy to throw in the oven and go start laundry. I would NEVER serve that to guests!! 

• Love 22

Your situation was completely different, you held a job, and raised children. I’m not above doing the same on occasion. But what the hell did Michelle do all day that her only recourse was frozen and canned foods? I understand money was an issue until TLC came along, never mind the $250,000 spent on a vanity political campaign. Once they were better off financially they could and should have fed their kids balanced meals. 

But to serve that to guests while gloating about your daughters’ cooking skills, and have it on national TV?

• Love 24

Also considering they have a commercial grade kitchen as well as a "pretty" kitchen, they could at least attempt to make something from scratch.   We do know that they have made homemade bread from scratch a few times.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Hey I love to cook and don't often entertain but I have served Stouffers lasagne to guests and they never knew. It's pretty tasty and it beats spending a whole paycheck on ingredients and then taking forever to make it. I even grew all my own vegetables and made sauce of my own but then I came to my senses. So I can't exactly blame the Duggars for THIS. Everything else is fair game.

I won't judge someone for eating Stouffer's lasagna. It's really not bad. But for that to be his favorite meal ever tells me he doesn't eat very good quality food. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 17
11 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Hey I love to cook and don't often entertain but I have served Stouffers lasagne to guests and they never knew. It's pretty tasty and it beats spending a whole paycheck on ingredients and then taking forever to make it. I even grew all my own vegetables and made sauce of my own but then I came to my senses. So I can't exactly blame the Duggars for THIS. Everything else is fair game.

When I lived alone, I would cook the Stouffers lasagna.   It's tasty and cheaper than making your own for one or two.  I did make my own lasagna once, and quickly realized that it cost way more than 9 bucks.  Homemade is only cheaper when you are making it for a group of, let's say, twenty.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 16
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

I won't judge someone for eating Stouffer's lasagna. It's really not bad. But for that to be his favorite meal ever tells me he doesn't eat very good quality food. 

That was my point. We have on occasion, not since the lockdown used the Kirkland frozen lasagna. Pre pandemic our schedule was a mess. SBaba works until 4:30 pm. SGirl out of school at 2:00 pm. Homework when she got home (we developed some hacks to cope), as soon as Baba arrived we had dinner, off to swim practice, once home SGirl just had time for a bath and it was bedtime. SGirl needs more sleep than most.

SGirl is a freshman in high school  starting next week, and has music lessons to add to the chaos. I have no idea what parents with more than one child do it, because it’s tough with just one.

Sorry to ramble, but chances are we will take short cuts when all hell breaks loose next week. Duggar kids were “home schooled”, did not play organized sports, and the J slaves did all the heavy work. What the hell did the MOTY do?

• Love 22
35 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

When I lived alone, I would cook the Stouffers lasagna.   It's tasty and cheaper than making your own for one or two.  I did make my own lasagna once, and quickly realized that it cost way more than 9 bucks.  Homemade is only cheaper when you are making it for a group of, let's say, twenty. 

My daughter found an extremely delicious lasagna recipe.  The only problem is that it costs over $60 to produce two pans of lasagna.  

I can't see the Duggars doing that ever.

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I saw this thread was hot and figured Abbie had announced a pregnancy. Relieved to see that all the hullabaloo is about lasagna! 😂

I guess there is no lasagna baking in Abby’s oven 😉 

• LOL 16
  • Love 1

I think Jana actually did know how to make lasagna. I seem to remember huge pans of it when they were filmed with one of the other families with a zillion kids- the Bontregers maybe? 
Jessa wasn’t assigned cooking jurisdiction though so I’m sure she didn’t know how then and doesn’t now. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I just pictured JD walking around Italy looking for a McDonald’s 🤣🤣🤣

They are there.  As much as I love a Happy Meal, in Italy we just walked on by.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, lookeyloo said:

They are there.  As much as I love a Happy Meal, in Italy we just walked on by.

Mickey D's is everywhere.  The only reason to ever enter one in Europe is to get a drink with ice cubes in it.  Icy cold beverages are not a thing in Europe and people think ice is a waste of money.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
Just now, Rootbeer said:

Mickey D's is everywhere.  The only reason to ever enter one in Europe is to get a drink with ice cubes in it.  Icy cold beverages are not a thing in Europe and people think ice is a waste of money.  

Very true about the ice!!  In restaurantsI kept saying "more ice please" and would get one cube in a glass.  

• Useful 2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

In Moscow, you go to McDonalds because they are known to have the best and cleanest bathrooms.  Actually, all the McDonalds in Moscow are beautiful.  And extremely clean.  There was someone mopping the floor and someone washing tables constantly.  But they do have Western style, clean, bathrooms.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5

When I was in France with a school group 10 years ago, they insisted on stopping in a McDonald's, and I wanted to die of shame. These were the same group of people who wanted to find a Pizza Hut in New Orleans four months earlier, though, so I don't even know why I was surprised. Duggars would have fit right in, I'm sure. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

In Moscow, you go to McDonalds because they are known to have the best and cleanest bathrooms.  Actually, all the McDonalds in Moscow are beautiful.  And extremely clean.  There was someone mopping the floor and someone washing tables constantly.  But they do have Western style, clean, bathrooms.

I forgot to mention that.  McD's is also well known the world over for having the best bathrooms; clean and modern.  My dad used to drive all over the place for his job, here in the midwest.  He was a connoisseur of fine restrooms on the road.  He swore by the overall dependable quality of the Golden Arches.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I forgot to mention that.  McD's is also well known the world over for having the best bathrooms; clean and modern.  My dad used to drive all over the place for his job, here in the midwest.  He was a connoisseur of fine restrooms on the road.  He swore by the overall dependable quality of the Golden Arches.

So true! I often drive between my home and my cousins' town out of state. I know exactly at which McD's I will stop during the trip. I also have been known to visit the McD's on the Strand in London - because, bathrooms!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

When I was in Munich about 30 years ago, I went to McDonald's. I was staying with family friends and they wanted to go there. I don't remember what I ate, but I do remember they served beer! 

So the Duggars might not be too out of place. If they are, its the zillion kids not the food. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 3
On 8/2/2021 at 7:40 PM, SMama said:

Your situation was completely different, you held a job, and raised children. I’m not above doing the same on occasion. But what the hell did Michelle do all day that her only recourse was frozen and canned foods? I understand money was an issue until TLC came along, never mind the $250,000 spent on a vanity political campaign. Once they were better off financially they could and should have fed their kids balanced meals. 

But to serve that to guests while gloating about your daughters’ cooking skills, and have it on national TV?

MEchelle was too busy blanket-training to have time to cook a decent meal. 😒

On 8/2/2021 at 9:10 PM, Westiepeach said:

Well, *SOMEBODY* had to drink all the Starbucks!

The fundies love of Starbucks cracks me up.  In one video (Carlin's?) they stopped twice at Starbucks.  I have seen more than one transgender barista in the Starbucks I visit.  Not to mention the unisex bathrooms.

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

The fundies love of Starbucks cracks me up.  In one video (Carlin's?) they stopped twice at Starbucks.  I have seen more than one transgender barista in the Starbucks I visit.  Not to mention the unisex bathrooms.

Ditto for Apple products.

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

I guess they make exceptions for Starbucks!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Yes.  McDonalds restrooms.  Easy access off the interstate, clean.., and they never say a word if you don’t order anything.  I was very disappointed during the pandemic when they closed their lobbies to even take out orders.    Had to go to a gas station - and that’s iffy.

JD does look much healthier since he got married.  He has to be eating better. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 9
48 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Yes.  McDonalds restrooms.  Easy access off the interstate, clean.., and they never say a word if you don’t order anything.  I was very disappointed during the pandemic when they closed their lobbies to even take out orders.    Had to go to a gas station - and that’s iffy.

JD does look much healthier since he got married.  He has to be eating better. 

I have been to some gas stations that I walk in and walk out. I would rather hold it. Heck, give me a secluded area, I would rather go outside. I grew up going fishing with the family in the middle of no where in Canada, I can do it. 

JD does look better. Abbie is in good shape and with her degree, she should know about good healthy foods. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I don’t like their medic corps stuff…. But I find these two the most normal couple of all of them. Most likely because they were both over 25 when they met, had jobs and actually did set up their own courtship rules.  Once they were allowed to speak to each other. 
They actually look thrilled to be in each other’s company. 

• Love 22
9 hours ago, Nysha said:

Abby has very nice teeth. I still think JD is creepy and controlling, but they seem happy and Gracie is adorable.

Her teeth do photograph very well.

It seems like time has been flying, I had not realized they had been married that long. They look happy together.

• Love 1