Type keyword(s) to search

JD and Abbie: Captured Before the Rapture

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

Finland is NOT a "cheap" place.  I was shocked at the price of food and hotels.  But is so beautiful.  Just plain gorgeous.  I would love to go back, but I would have to save up for a long time to afford it.  I would say a package deal would be the best bet.  You would run low on funds very quickly just eating on your own.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Finland is NOT a "cheap" place.  I was shocked at the price of food and hotels.  But is so beautiful.  Just plain gorgeous.  I would love to go back, but I would have to save up for a long time to afford it.  I would say a package deal would be the best bet.  You would run low on funds very quickly just eating on your own.

That's why I'm sure Finland's tourism authority or whatever was looking for opportunities to promote travel there via incidental appearances on tv and such....and offered such a we'll-give-you-discounts-in-exchange-for-publicity deal to TLC.

That, and the fact that other destinations Duggarlings have honeymooned in have also been obvious candidates for doing that, since they have mostly not been at the very top of the tourism list but would like more tourism bucks. It's a common practice. And the countries/cities/states get a kind of native advertising out of it -- plus the illusion that somebody's favorite tv stars chose a destination all on their own. So fans are especially likely to consider following suit. 

No way would TLC pay the actual Finnish prices. It's clear that they're eager to cut corners on the show. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4

Well, they did go in the winter.  Pretty sure that is off season for tourists.  Really short days and  very cold weather.  

If I was to visit Finland I would go in the summer.  Just saying...

But still, good for them in choosing to visit a place that is a bit different, at least by Duggar standards.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 2

Hm, maybe they feature the newlyweds in a sauna, trying to capture the Bachelor audience?

Or. . . heaven forbid JD & Abbie got a whiff of Finland's excellent education system. They might actually EDUCATE their children!!

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Well, they did go in the winter.  Pretty sure that is off season for tourists.  Really short days and  very cold weather.  

If I was to visit Finland I would go in the summer.  Just saying...

But still, good for them in choosing to visit a place that is a bit different, at least by Duggar standards.  

Maybe they were looking forward to the long nights? 

• LOL 16
On 2/28/2019 at 2:32 PM, CalicoKitty said:

So much this. I ended up staying in hostels when I went across Finland and it was upwards of €40 for a hostel bed in Helsinki some nights. It was cheaper to get hotels in the Baltic States for a week compared to some of the cities I went to in Finland.

I will never be able to afford to go back. Pity because the flights to Helsinki can be super cheap.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, gunderda said:

I'm 35.. maybe 36 (i lose track) and I've dated plenty but only had a boyfriend during one Valentine's day and he was an asshole during that time so it didn't really matter.  It really shouldn't be a tragic situation. 

Holy shit, @gunderda, are you me?!

It is a running joke among my long time friends and I because without fail I have been single or broken up with juuuuuust before Valentine’s Day. Once even ON the day itself (that c*********!)

Edited by Enya Face
They broke up with me due to typos
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, louannems said:

Abby is dressed normally in pants.

I wonder whether she just got so used to wearing pants at work that she can no longer imagine anything else (Gothardism to the contrary.)

Working in a nursing facility would certainly have made her a dedicated pants-wearer, on the job at least. Whatever the reason, go, Abby. 

• Love 13
On 3/3/2019 at 4:35 PM, Lunera said:

Found this picture randomly while searching the Duggars tag.

If you didn’t know there was a Duggar, it looks like a perfectly normal picture of friends hanging out together. What magic has Abbie brought?

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

If you didn’t know there was a Duggar, it looks like a perfectly normal picture of friends hanging out together. What magic has Abbie brought?

I notice the Bates boys as well. 

• Useful 1

I just read an article talking about something Abbie said on the show. Apparently she said she quit her nursing job to plan for her wedding. Seriously? Who does that?? I'm in a BSN nursing program, and I can tell you that after the thousands upon thousands of dollars and the blood, sweat, and tears that go into this degree...she is completely insane for throwing it away to plan a wedding. I realize that she's not technically throwing it away because she could always get another nursing job in the future, but I think we all know her unemployment is probably permanent.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, KittyCat19 said:

I just read an article talking about something Abbie said on the show. Apparently she said she quit her nursing job to plan for her wedding. Seriously? Who does that?? I'm in a BSN nursing program, and I can tell you that after the thousands upon thousands of dollars and the blood, sweat, and tears that go into this degree...she is completely insane for throwing it away to plan a wedding. I realize that she's not technically throwing it away because she could always get another nursing job in the future, but I think we all know her unemployment is probably permanent.

It sounded like she was moving to the Duggar compound so to do that, and to plan a wedding in what, a month or two? Quitting her job is a likely casualty. She did say she wants to keep up her licensing though. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, gunderda said:

It sounded like she was moving to the Duggar compound so to do that, and to plan a wedding in what, a month or two? Quitting her job is a likely casualty. She did say she wants to keep up her licensing though. 

Didn’t she get married in Oklahoma? Why would she have moved into the Duggar compound to plan that wedding?

• Love 3
15 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Didn’t she get married in Oklahoma? Why would she have moved into the Duggar compound to plan that wedding?

I'm not sure where they got married but I think on this last episode she said she was moving to Arkansas when married. And we saw her doing her dress fittings at the Duggar's. 

• Love 3

They were married in Oklahoma. Of course the Duggar family was the epicenter of All Things Wedding because, TV show. If she moved to the TTH or nearby before the wedding, I assume it was due to the pull of the Duggar vortex which is centered at the TTH. If she didn't move to Arkansas before the wedding, but quit her job so she could be all engaged and immersed in wedding planning, well, that's probably just being consistent with her Gothard family background.

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Why did she have to put her name in parenthesis for. Like we could not figure out who she was talking about. Seriously!!! I just can't with these people. And it was a sweet weekend. UGH!!!

Jill does the same thing. There’s no reason for it.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

Could someone please wax Abbie's eyebrows? They are thicker, darker and heavier than her husband's.

No need for waxing. Hers look like they are drawn on with eyebrow pencil. But I agree she needs to lighten up.

Why does JD's face look greasy? (This isn't only time he looks that way.) He needs to use a better facial soap/product  that would help. I know he's in love but I just can't with that cheesy grin of his. Something with his teeth. The bottom picture is fine but the top one is sort of scary looking.

• Love 3

I bet JB is telling him to get Abbie pregnant as soon as possible and to toll the line because JD is expected to be the golden son because Smugs is the Duggar dog house so to speak. I would not say they are in love since they barely know each other, and are in the honeymoon stage. Plus the fact they are being shown as the next super couple along with Jeremy and Jinger. TLC and JB got to strike while the iron is still hot.

I'm wondering if the reason Abby didn't want to get married (which she mentioned a few times),until she met John, is because she wanted her career in nursing.  And as a good gothardite, she knew she'd have to give all that up the second she became engaged. In the last episode, she nearly cried when asked if she would miss her job.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, louannems said:

I'm wondering if the reason Abby didn't want to get married (which she mentioned a few times),until she met John, is because she wanted her career in nursing.  And as a good gothardite, she knew she'd have to give all that up the second she became engaged. In the last episode, she nearly cried when asked if she would miss her job.

I think Abby started schooling for nursing because she was getting to be in her mid 20s and no guy had approached her yet. I'm sure she enjoyed nursing but she is happier being married. She made it seem like she had already ended up as a spinster, being 26 an unmarried, when she talked about all her married siblings. Maybe it really got to her when her younger sister got married before her.

• Love 10
On 3/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, Lunera said:

I think Abby started schooling for nursing because she was getting to be in her mid 20s and no guy had approached her yet. I'm sure she enjoyed nursing but she is happier being married. She made it seem like she had already ended up as a spinster, being 26 an unmarried, when she talked about all her married siblings. Maybe it really got to her when her younger sister got married before her.

I think so too. Isn’t Abbie in the middle of her group of siblings? (So no hoards of littles to care for) Likely when she got to be 22/23 and no one had approached her she needed SOMETHING to do with her days. I don’t doubt she enjoyed nursing and got mental stimulation out of it, but it was something to tide her over until marriage. In “ye olden days” nursing, teaching and administrative careers where the only “respectable” careers for middle class women who 1. Were unwed, 2. Widowed/divorced and needed to support themselves or their children. Thus I’m not surprised Abbie was allowed to pursue nursing. 

• Love 14
On 3/25/2019 at 4:28 PM, ginger90 said:

These are screenshots, the arrows won’t take you anywhere.😁

B9E77808-2D87-4417-A3C5-F142B0AC6741.jpeg

407EBD56-79BD-45C9-95B6-53A189AF94D6.jpeg

CCF07FAA-6443-48CB-AE83-FD7BCE24D319.jpeg

Now THAT is what joyful looks like.  

Edited by farmgal4
  • Love 17
On 3/26/2019 at 9:03 AM, Barb23 said:

No need for waxing. Hers look like they are drawn on with eyebrow pencil. But I agree she needs to lighten up.

Yea it's a little heavy handed.  But finding an eyebrow pencil for blonde hair is so hard! I bought some stuff that comes in a little pot and it's lasted me forever. Now that I'm making a pretty good dent in it I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of it.  I do not want to be part of the super dark eyebrow and light hair trend.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, awaken said:

Eyebrows- I’ve seen some real doozies at work lately!  Dark grey with blonde hair, and several drawn as if in crayon. I almost can’t stop staring!  😳

The make-up these days leaves me feeling curious and old. Back in the day we all tried to apply make-up but make it look like we weren't wearing make-up. Now like you said eyebrows are drawn on one hair at a time. Lipstick colors are a shade not found in nature and everyone is contoured to have cheekbones that don't exist. Probably just my age talking.

• LOL 4
  • Love 11

Abbie needs a trip to the Estee Lauder counter in a real department store. They'll fix her up right the first time. They helped me with my eyebrows immediately. Mine never looked so good...not too thick, not too thin. 

• Useful 1
On 3/25/2019 at 7:00 PM, bigskygirl said:

Why did she have to put her name in parenthesis for. Like we could not figure out who she was talking about. Seriously!!! I just can't with these people. And it was a sweet weekend. UGH!!!

Well, this may not be the case for Abbie (and Jill) at all. Probably isn't. 

But sometimes when you grow up in a weird environment where people's individuality isn't respected (or noticed), you can come away with weird tics regarding your identity.

When I was Abbie's age, I still had an underlying belief -- it didn't seem like a big deal or unusual at all; it was just a normal fact of life, in my mind -- that nobody would recognize me if they hadn't seen me in, like, the past few days. And I basically assumed that people I didn't know well wouldn't ever recognize me, period. I was always sort of half introducing myself to people if I hadn't seen them for a bit. It didn't feel traumatic or nuts to me. I just assumed that I would immediately slip everyone's mind if I weren't around for a minute.

I wasn't aggressive about my introductions, though, and didn't make them unless I thought they were needed  -- I just assumed that nobody remembered who or what I was. Because my other underlying assumption was that my being around was, at best, irrelevant but, more likely, highly annoying or disgusting to everybody and that I'd be most acceptable if I just faded into the background, as I assumed I did anyway.

I remember once flying to visit my family and telling my name to my mother when I met her at the airport gate. I remember that time because I'd gotten into a conversation with a woman sitting next to me on the plane and she'd been next to me walking in. I wasn't struck by what I did but I was struck by that woman's looking very confused when she heard me say "mom" and "I'm Churchhoney" in the same sentence. 

(Full disclosure: I still often have the impulse to do this. ... Usually I resist. But, hey, at least I'm not one of those people who make you feel guilty because they assume you remember their names and who they are, but you don't!)

28 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:
Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 15

One of those pics shows the size of what I assume is Abbie's engagement ring.  It looks bigger, more modern and a lot classier that the other girl's rings.  

Does anybody know where there's a better photo of it?  

11 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

The make-up these days leaves me feeling curious and old. Back in the day we all tried to apply make-up but make it look like we weren't wearing make-up. Now like you said eyebrows are drawn on one hair at a time. Lipstick colors are a shade not found in nature and everyone is contoured to have cheekbones that don't exist. Probably just my age talking.

Maybe because the goal is to look good in close-up selfies?

I'm not one to talk, because I have never worn a lot of makeup, and now that I am older I find that less is more.  There is nothing more horrifying than an older woman with makeup that looks like it was put on with a trowel.  True story: a few years back I was in Ulta looking for an eyeshadow palette my daughter had requested for Christmas.  One of the consultants approached me, told me what SHE was using, and said "Bet you'd never guess I was 65!  This stuff helps me look so much better. Would you like some tips?" I smiled politely, but I so wanted to tell her I thought she looked OLDER.

To Abbie's credit, aside from her eyebrows she doesn't look like she wears much makeup at all.  Certainly much less than her sisters-in-law.

Give it a few years.  The eyebrow pendulum will swing back.  It always does.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

One of those pics shows the size of what I assume is Abbie's engagement ring.  It looks bigger, more modern and a lot classier that the other girl's rings.  

Does anybody know where there's a better photo of it?  

CFE51C4B-8196-4D06-B0D7-7FC64F9E4129.jpeg

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Anyone surprised Austoon was a groomsman?

His overly large curved nostril holes makes him look like he always smells dog poo on the bottom of someone's shoe....so it is hard to tell is he is happy or disgusted to be around his in laws...

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

IMO, that is a bad picture of Abbie. She looks like an old, washed out hag.

Yeah, that angle is seriously not her friend.  Also, JD kinda looks like an overgrown toddler with a fake 5 o'clock shadow.  I'm sure there were a thousand better pics.  These people have zero concept of aesthetics. 

• Love 6
On 3/26/2019 at 4:58 PM, floridamom said:

Could someone please wax Abbie's eyebrows? They are thicker, darker and heavier than her husband's.

The right one is thicker than the left. It’s not Sarah Huckabee Picasso asymmetrical, but it’s still distracting.

Duggar men have delicate eyebrows. Josh is the darkest, and just look at them: r9ftp0.jpg

• LOL 6
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

23986224-D38E-4FBE-8F62-75EE3826E350.jpeg

I hope it's just the lighting but Abbie's arm & hands look really grungy. I think a small dose of tanner or bronzer would have helped since a lot of skin was exposed with this style of wedding gown. 

• Love 2