Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. K's Exotic Animal ER - General Discussion

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Rammchick said:

Welcome to the gang, Nokat.  All of us here feel that way about these exotic pets.  In this day and age of readily available information on the internet, there is no excuse for not researching a potential pet BEFORE you get one.

I'd go one step further and posit that in this day and age, there is no excuse for private ownership of an exotic animal, period.

And, fuck all states that still make it legal.

• Love 5

I just started watching reruns of this. My cold hard heart cried and cried over Walter the bunny. I also was happy that Bambi the goat was okay but I've watched so many The Yorkshire Vet on Acorn TV that you see the barnyard labors that go wrong, but a farm vet usually goes out there. I guess there is a shortage in Florida? Usually in a case like that, the vet sticks his arm all the way in and can turn the baby and fix that  bad positioning so the goat can labor normally. 

I agree these people are idiots. That stupid woman with the Eurasian Lynx, ffs: a cat is a cat is a cat. And yours is on prozac.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

So sad that beautiful bird died. 😥I wonder what caused that fluid build-up? 
Pigs are such drama queens! It cracks me up the way they scream bloody murder over the least little thing!

They were suspecting reproductive track issues but she didn't do well under anesthesia so they never found out. I guess she died at home? That really sucked. I've never seen a bird that red. 

• Love 1
On 9/25/2019 at 1:30 PM, walnutqueen said:

I'd go one step further and posit that in this day and age, there is no excuse for private ownership of an exotic animal, period.

And, fuck all states that still make it legal.

Have you seen the promo for Dr. Thielen’s show? She says something to the effect that Texas is the place to see exotics since you can own just about anything there! Then they show a kangaroo, an echidna, andan aardvark. Makes my blood boil! 😡

• Love 4
On 10/5/2019 at 8:43 PM, LittleIggy said:

Have you seen the promo for Dr. Thielen’s show? She says something to the effect that Texas is the place to see exotics since you can own just about anything there! Then they show a kangaroo, an echidna, andan aardvark. Makes my blood boil! 😡

Which is part of the reason I have no intentions of watching.  I wonder if they cut short Dr. K's season to only 4 shows to "share" it with Dr. T, like it's a trial outing?

1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

Which is part of the reason I have no intentions of watching.  I wonder if they cut short Dr. K's season to only 4 shows to "share" it with Dr. T, like it's a trial outing?

I wondered about that, too. I hope not. 

I won’t be watching Dr. T either. Besides the issue about the exotic pet trade, I can’t stand her baby talking.

• Love 2

Well, I guess I'll take the bullet for y'all and watch - Dr. T's baby talk don't bother me, and Dr. K prepared me for the exotic angle.  Besides, everyone knows I can't resist an animal show, and these two have the added bonus of validating my dislike for Florida and Texas.  :~)

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 10/7/2019 at 2:28 PM, walnutqueen said:

Well, I guess I'll take the bullet for y'all and watch - Dr. T's baby talk don't bother me, and Dr. K prepared me for the exotic angle.  Besides, everyone knows I can't resist an animal show, and these two have the added bonus of validating my dislike for Florida and Texas.  :~)

ITA

Besides Dr K has talked about her opposition to owning many of these exotic animals as pets. But that she believes it's her duty to be an advocate for them.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, tres bien said:

Besides Dr K has talked about her opposition to owning many of these exotic animals as pets. But that she believes it's her duty to be an advocate for them.

That’s why I don’t mind Dr. K. Dr. Thielen, on the other hand, sounds gleeful on the promos that in Texas you can own just about anything. 

• Love 2
On Tuesday, October 08, 2019 at 9:40 PM, LittleIggy said:

That’s why I don’t mind Dr. K. Dr. Thielen, on the other hand, sounds gleeful on the promos that in Texas you can own just about anything.

Knowing that people will buy them, I do feel like Dr. K is very much an advocate. Like she'll take care of the animal and educate people. Dr. T has always been a bit kissy and squealy. Maybe it is because I'm not a touchy/feely person myself, I always am thinking, maybe that animal doesn't want you in their face kissing them.

Also, why are the vet/zoo shows on Lifestyle?

Edited by nokat

I’m ambivalent about this show. The vets and staff are great. However, I think the series encourages the trade in exotic animals. Nobody should be able to purchase a wallaby or a monkey. 😡 

All the kissing of animals drives me nuts. I love my cats, but I don’t kiss them. I make smoochy noises over their heads!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I’m ambivalent about this show. The vets and staff are great. However, I think the series encourages the trade in exotic animals. Nobody should be able to purchase a wallaby or a monkey. 😡 

All the kissing of animals drives me nuts. I love my cats, but I don’t kiss them. I make smoochy noises over their heads!

I think we're all in agreement over this and have made that same comment many times.  Dr K has even said as much herself.  But her job is to provide medical care for these animals without judging their owners.  If she were harsh or strident with them (and who's to say she isn't), then the animals probably wouldn't get any care at all.  But you're right, the problem is the show, not the practice.

As for the kissing, I agree.  I kiss my dog but I don't expect his vet to.  You don't see doctors kissing their human patients, at least not legally!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BookWitch said:

Yet another owner who waited almost to long to get the animal medical help. Poor pig. Jeez.  Can the lady with the ducks being shot at file charges? That seems illegal to  me.

Yep, probably not only for firing at the ducks but for discharging a firearm in a residential area.

4 hours ago, BookWitch said:

Yet another owner who waited almost to long to get the animal medical help. Poor pig. Jeez.  Can the lady with the ducks being shot at file charges? That seems illegal to  me.

I believe when she came to pick up the duck she said the police had been called, although I don't recall why and what the neighbor had been sighted for.

This is evidently not random. She's been on previous episodes with her ducks.

1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

Dr K may not judge but I will.  Those people with the squirrel monkey are morons.  Too bad there isn't some mechanism to have that pet taken away from them.

That’s why I quit watching this show. Owning primates (as well as other exotics) should be illegal in every state. 😡

• Love 4
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

That’s why I quit watching this show. Owning primates (as well as other exotics) should be illegal in every state. 😡

Was that the blond couple with the mimbo husband? Boy he was a dork. They already had a daughter too. Hope she got more brains than he did. 

The couple with the lemurs weren't much better.  I get it, someone gave them bad advice, but there is a whole internet of information out there.  If you see that your lemur baby hasn't grown in three months, maybe you get online and try to find out what might be going on?  I could probably say the same about a lot of other owners we see on this show.  

I had green iguanas for 20 years.  At the beginning, there was no internet, just one book, and it gave bad advise -- "Feed them romaine lettuce," it said.  "They do fine on it," it said.  Well, he didn't do fine, and one day, his back end was paralyzed from lack of B vitamins.  By that point, the internet was in its infancy, but I looked at every site that was out there to try to find out what was going on.  There also wasn't an exotic vet within shouting distance, a specialty that's gotten more popular in recent times.  There is no excuse for owners of exotic pets not educating themselves these days.  And education BEFORE they bring home the pet.  

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Rammchick said:

The couple with the lemurs weren't much better.  I get it, someone gave them bad advice, but there is a whole internet of information out there.  If you see that your lemur baby hasn't grown in three months, maybe get online and try to find out what might be going on?  I could probably say the same about a lot of other owners we see on this show.  

I had green iguanas for 20 years.  At the beginning, there was no internet, just one book, and it gave bad advice -- "Feed them romaine lettuce," it said.  "They do fine on it," it said.  Well, he didn't do fine, and one day, his back end was paralyzed from lack of B vitamins.  By that point, the internet was in its infancy, but I looked at every site that was out there to try to find out what was going on.  There also wasn't an exotic vet within shouting distance, a specialty that's gotten more popular in recent times.  There is no excuse for owners of exotic pets not educating themselves these days.  And education BEFORE they bring home the pet.  

On 4/18/2019 at 3:54 PM, walnutqueen said:

I had to laugh at Dr. K listing the inanimate objects in her tortoise's harem.  I may be going to hell for desperately wanting to see video of him humping her nativity scene ...

My yard has been chemical free for decades - no pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers.  My semi-feral cats, local urban wildlife, and all the visiting critters have nothing to fear here.

Same here!  All creatures are welcome