Type keyword(s) to search

Dr. K's Exotic Animal ER - General Discussion

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, Me Too said:

I agree.  I remember seeing Brodi, the kinkajou and possum and the little girl and father adopting the rabbit stories before.  Reminds me of what they have done with several Dr. Pol episodes.

Good to know.  I didn't remember any of the segments from seeing them before.  So that's the reason that Tom was on (with hair, no less).

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 1

Wonder how much the fish’s vet and prescription bill totaled?

That bladder stone was massive! Poor tortoise. Bet she felt so much better afterwards! So does the shell just heal up where it was cut?

Glad Dr. T’s bunny came out alright.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Wonder how much the fish’s vet and prescription bill totaled?

That bladder stone was massive! Poor tortoise. Bet she felt so much better afterwards! So does the shell just heal up where it was cut?

Glad Dr. T’s bunny came out alright.

Just now watching, and holy hell, that stone!

8 minutes ago, nokat said:

I can't get excited over bearded dragon poop.

Aw, you must be dead inside!

We also got tortoise shit. Including close ups, in case we weren't quite sure.

I noticed this ep was listed as "best of", so they are repackaged segments. I remembered the blond twins and Dr. T's rabbit.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Rammchick said:

We never did hear anything further about that stone.  What did Dr K think caused it?  It was huge!  She also - at least on camera - didn't give the owners any advice about diet, or substrate.

I’m sure she did. There is only so much that makes the cut.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I’m sure she did. There is only so much that makes the cut.

I'm sure you're right.  It's just a shame that the really interesting part about that case ended up on the cutting room floor.

• Love 2

According to Reptile Magazine 

The stones can be caused by a number of factors. The two most common are improper diet and dehydration. Tortoises are vegetarians. Like other animals, their diet should consist of protein, carbohydrates and fats. However, the dietary protein and fats should be of plant origin, not animal origin. Their systems are not equipped to handle large amounts of animal-based nutrients (such as dog food - a commonly fed diet that is very bad for tortoises and other herbivorous reptiles, such as iguanas).

So the twin sisters may not be feeding them correctly. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, BookWitch said:

BookWitch thanks for the article.

I hope that was info Dr K talked to them about. I can't see how a tortoise could go through surgery again.

• Love 2
On 11/27/2018 at 12:03 PM, BookWitch said:

Too much -- or in this case, any -- animal protein is the cause of so much misery for herbivorous reptiles.  It totally ruins their kidneys.  Could have been a great teachable moment.  Oh well.

I'm watching the marathon and the very first episodes are on now.  Some observations:  Drs. K and T did far less baby talk at the beginning of the series, and, in both episodes 2 and 3, Dr. K made a statement about inappropriate pets being in the pet trade.

• Love 1

Our grandson, age 10, spent the weekend with us. Since there are very few programs on TV that “both of us can enjoy”, as he always says, we watched a lot of this show during the marathon. Our interest is heightened because my son (his dad) is a veterinarian. The baby talk and all of the kissing of these animals is so over the top. Our son came over this afternoon to pick up his son and watched a bit of this show. He was actually approving of some of the actual medical treatment but appalled at the kissing/baby talk/ telling clients of the worst case scenario right off the bat. Just so you know.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

On The Zoo tonight, a bunch of confiscated lizards from the illegal exotic pet trade were taken to the Bronx Zoo by Fish and Game. Of 92 live lizards , 2/3s died despite intensive treatment by the vet staff. ☹️ I wonder how many Fennec Foxes and Bush Babies died so somebody could have a trophy pet? 😡 I like Dr. K, but I get really mad watching this show. I may have to quit.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 2

The show (first of the new season) was rather boring.

The woman that owned the fox was just pissing me off.  Several times she said that a fox doesn't make a good pet. Why the hell do you have one then?  

The owner of Jack the parrot was really cute as was Jack!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, stormy said:

The show (first of the new season) was rather boring.

The woman that owned the fox was just pissing me off.  Several times she said that a fox doesn't make a good pet. Why the hell do you have one then?  

So she can show it off! It’s a trophy pet.

The Bush baby doesn’t appear to be a good pet either. I wonder if it is self-mutilating because of trauma it suffered in the exotic pet trade process.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

So she can show it off! It’s a trophy pet.

The Bush baby doesn’t appear to be a good pet either. I wonder if it is self-mutilating because of trauma it suffered in the exotic pet trade process

The bush baby was outright sad. I don't know if the owner made the right decision so I wish there had been a follow-up appointment in the episode.

• Love 1

Wow, there was a lot of baby talk and kissing on tonight’s episode! 🙄 I noticed a lemur in one of those patient montage segments. On The Zoo, they said that ring-tailed lemurs were endangered due to loss of habitat and the exotic pet trade. 😡

• Love 2

So my DVR is picking up 3 hours of "new" episodes, which is a bit of an overload.

But I did catch Dr.K saying, about her first bush baby patient, "it is exciting when I get a species like that.  But I have to be honest that sometimes I say to myself 'Why is this animal in captivity?'.  You know, you just have to come to the realization these animals are in the pet trade.  Period.  I don't promote that they stay in the pet trade, but they are here.  They need my care, and we need to do the best that we can, in the situation we are presented with."

• Love 3

A number of these new episodes are retreads/compilations from past shows.  I notice that NatGeo Wild is doing that with Dr. Pol as well.  More bang for the buck, I guess.

The baby talk was absolutely awful this week -- yes, that baby skunk was pretty cute, but Dr. T, you shattered one of my ear drums with the pitch of your cooing over it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 3/25/2019 at 2:44 PM, itisonlyme said:

Oh..... Just noticed that Dr T has gone back to Texas YEAH.  I am probably in the minority here but I did not like her.  Always giving the worst case scenario

I couldn’t stand her baby talk. 😱

• Love 2

So two new vets have shown up. One's an intern. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

It was sad but boy was I relieved that the bunny who's leg was amputated turned into a happy ending.

Last week's amputation of the swan wing was amazing (if that's an appropriate description). He came in so ill and in the end he was a doing so well that he basically got a new lease on life.

• Love 1

Incredibly, animals seem to adapt to amputation much more readily than many humans.  They just find different ways to perambulate.

If you've never seen Amanda to the Rescue, check out her 2 (yes, I said TWO!) legged boxer named Duncan as he runs and plays like any other happy dog.  He is BRILLIANT!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Incredibly, animals seem to adapt to amputation much more readily than many humans.  They just find different ways to perambulate.

If you've never seen Amanda to the Rescue, check out her 2 (yes, I said TWO!) legged boxer named Duncan as he runs and plays like any other happy dog.  He is BRILLIANT!

Yep I have seen Amanda.  She's wonderful!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BookWitch said:

The way he was talking, it sounded like he had the cage out on the back porch. But why have the birds outside at night? 

Not at night, necessarily.  Contrary to popular opinion, raccoons do come out during daylight hours.

• Love 1

Sorry to say, some really stupid clients this week.  The lady with the box turtle may have had him for 22 years but she had no clue what he's supposed to eat, or that he should be offered food daily.  Makes me wonder what she does feed him.

Arctic fox lady has pets that run around, but goes and has pesticides sprayed all over the grass?  Um, duh.  To be honest, I have my doubts that the fox could have absorbed that much through her pads.  How long could she have been exposed?  More likely she found a dead mouse and ate it.  And I also couldn't understand why Dr T never asked what kind of pesticides they were.

As for why that woman had an Arctic fox in the first place, let alone one she dressed in a tutu...

• Love 4

I had to laugh at Dr. K listing the inanimate objects in her tortoise's harem.  I may be going to hell for desperately wanting to see video of him humping her nativity scene ...

My yard has been chemical free for decades - no pesticides, herbicides or fertilizers.  My semi-feral cats, local urban wildlife, and all the visiting critters have nothing to fear here.

• Love 3

Adaline the pig was adorbs. If she was 2 years old, would she not get any bigger? Wonder if the guy’s wife ever says, “You love that pig more than me!” 😆 Having had my share of large vet bills, I can only imagine what the cost for Adaline’s care was. 😳

• Love 2

I liked the season finale.

I'm going to miss Dr T (although she's not always a board favorite). 

Can't say that I like either of those two new veterinarians that have been on this season.

• Love 2

Dr. T annoyed me when she did the baby talking to the animals. She seemed like a nice person.

How many times does that kinkajou (sp?) have to poop and pee on that woman before she either puts a nappy on him or a rain poncho on herself when she takes him to the vet? 🤢 

Me seeing primates (a tiny marmoset!), a fox, and a bobcat in the patient montages: 😡

• Love 2

Poor little parrot.😢

That was the most outgoing hedgehog I have ever seen. They usually roll up if a stranger handles them. Sad about them being so susceptible to cancer. I remember that cute little special needs goat from a prior season. His dad is really devoted to him.

• Love 1

It should not be legal to have primates as pets! It looks as if next week there will be another marmoset. 🤬

That ferret was so cute. Glad he got better.

I wonder how much the cancer treatment for the rabbit costs. I’m glad his mom could afford it. I probably couldn’t. I pay $65/month for Aemon Targaryen’s seizure medicine. It’s more than I can really afford, but I can’t let him suffer.

• Love 2

The reveal party was stupid. Please Dr K do not go into this overly scripted territory.

All in all a good episode.

I felt good about Cashew at the end. Bunnies have medical issues. I had two and happy that the second one lived to be nine.

• Love 1

Well, Dr. Thielen is going to have her own show. They had a promo for it. I’ll watch it if she has cut out the baby talk.

The Sickness became the The Dead. Be careful what you name your animal.

Poor tiny monkey. Enjoy your trophy pet, folks. 😡

Those foxes cost about $2-3,000 dollars.

Wish there had been an update on the ferret. Sure hope it didn’t have distemper.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 1

I tend to get a bit upset about people having exotic animals. And then them not knowing how to care for them. LittleIggy said it well, enjoy your trophy pet. Even a rabbit, which most people don't consider exotic. They need hay.

Will probably watch Dr. Thielen's show, even though I get annoyed with the baby talk.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, nokat said:

I tend to get a bit upset about people having exotic animals. And then them not knowing how to care for them. LittleIggy said it well, enjoy your trophy pet. Even a rabbit, which most people don't consider exotic. They need hay.

Welcome to the gang, Nokat.  All of us here feel that way about these exotic pets.  In this day and age of readily available information on the internet, there is no excuse for not researching a potential pet BEFORE you get one.

• Love 3