Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 9/3/2018

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

No acknowledgment from Abby that she was wrong.

Polished, yes. I can't get the word "sneaky" out of my mind, too.

Don't most people, when corrected on facts, say, "Oh, you're right" or "Sorry, that was incorrect" or "I misspoke" or "I didn't know that!"? (I do!)

Trump did get 46% of the popular vote, that's fairly close to half.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, Wings said:

For the record I am an old white woman and know many more.  We are not burning our Nikes, no one is burning their damn shoes.  

me too, and my kids aren't either.  I may add that the few I've seen being burned on the interwebs, look like they deserved to be set afire....ugly AF

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Wings said:

For the record I am an old white woman and know many more.  We are not burning our Nikes, no one is burning their damn shoes.  

Wasn’t Nike in trouble years ago for their labor practices?  Sweat shops, low wages.  A lot of people stopped buying their products at that time.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Wasn’t Nike in trouble years ago for their labor practices?  Sweat shops, low wages.  A lot of people stopped buying their products at that time.

the kids want what's hot...Nike is the brand, I can't see this campaign having a negative impact.  Nike is Jordan and Lebron, I see maybe 10 people that will boycott the shoes.   

• Love 11
1 minute ago, TV Diva Queen said:

the kids want what's hot...Nike is the brand, I can't see this campaign having a negative impact.  Nike is Jordan and Lebron, I see maybe 10 people that will boycott the shoes.   

I don’t think this will hurt them.  The sweat shops didn’t.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, merriebreeze said:

"The current administration was elected not by the people who voted, but by the people who didn't vote." John Kerry

They need to make that part of their talking points come 2020. There's power in the decision to stay home and do nothing and this election is evidence of that - it wasn't the people that voted that made the statement, it was the people that didn't that rang the loudest.

I'm surprised that none of the women seemed that flummoxed by the denials of the White House. I mean, that is the most curious thing for me about all of this (including the quotes I've heard from the book). Do they think Woodward is bluffing about having recorded everything?

What a slap in the face to Bernie Sanders and the grassroots revolution that he started during the last primaries by giving Trump the credit for people moving more to the left. The leftist policies that 'progressives' are advocating for are all of the policies that everyday working Americans have wanted for years but have never had a candidate that stood for any of those things because their big corporate donors wouldn't allow it. Progressives are rising not just because they appeal to those who want healthcare, fair wages, lower taxes, but it's appealing because progressives have made it almost unsaid policy that they not accept a dime of PAC money. They have turned campaign financing and their approach to campaigning on its head and for those who have been tired of seeing the rich get richer while the poor get poorer, the progressive approach of Sanders has given voters something new to get behind and give it a chance.

John Kerry was wonderful to listen to and for all that I said in the above paragraph, he basically said the same thing. Too bad Meghan wasn't there to hear Kerry's explanation and try to rebuttal because he shot down every talking point she has leaned on.

The fact that Owens was shamed and his picture went viral is a sad testament to society today. He hasn't been active on TV in like 30 years. Leave the man alone.

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

John Kerry was wonderful to listen to and for all that I said in the above paragraph, he basically said the same thing. Too bad Meghan wasn't there to hear Kerry's explanation and try to rebuttal because he shot down every talking point she has leaned on.

I wonder if Meghan would have shown him the respect he deserves as a Vietnam vet like her dad was.

• Love 20
3 hours ago, Cindyluwho said:

I miss the warmth and lightness that Sara brought to the show. 

That is definitely missed.  Without that element the show often becomes boring.  I miss that spark that she brought to the show.  For me Sara, Sherri, Paula and Michelle all had that fun/lighthearted vibe.  Even Candace, Jedediah and Raven had a fun vibe.  I don't see it in Abby yet.  And Meghan rarely shows her fun side.  

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

I wonder if Meghan would have shown him the respect he deserves as a Vietnam vet like her dad was.

I don't know how well Meghan may know Kerry but I think that would make a difference. She has shown that she has a better sense of kindness and warmth for those that she knows, even if they disagree politically. If she has any kind of relationship with Kerry or knows him through his interactions with her father, I suspect that she would be respectful and kind toward him.  His comments about wishing Meghan were there so that he could give her a big hug makes me think that there's some kind of history there there between Kerry and the McCain family in some way or another.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

46% of the less than half of eligible voters who bothered to show up, as Kerry pointed out. 

• Love 17
3 hours ago, Cindyluwho said:

I miss the warmth and lightness that Sara brought to the show. 

Same here.  Sara was a little ray of sunshine.  She's the type of person you'd like as a personal friend.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

There is no way a multi-billion dollar company doesn't do a ton of focus groups before instituting an ad campaign that will be controversial.  And as has been mentioned before Nike's target audience isn't going to be bothered by this at all.  And let's not forget Nikes are sold all over the world.  If anything there sales are going to go up.

Well there was that Pepsi ad with Kendall Jenner that was pulled, but I agree, Nike knows what they are doing.  I cannot wear Nikes because the high point of their arches is about an inch too far forward for my feet.

Did Abby fall in a vat of fake tanner and have wriggly earthworms installed in her lips?  Today's harsh hairstyle didn't do her any favours.  Will they have her in tight braids tomorrow?

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4

Abby Huntsman is a pretty woman. They're putting way too much makeup (and it's too dramatic for daytime) on her. I hope someone softens up her look.

I am seldom going to agree with a conservative co-host on this show. I know I mostly like Ana as much as I do because she seems to hate you-know-who as much as I do. So, with that in mind, I'm giving Abby a couple of weeks to settle in and then I'll decide what I think of her. She's not an immediate turn-off for me like McCain was.

On 9/4/2018 at 1:41 PM, RHJunkie said:

I wish more people would actually point this out to people who bring up their connection or 'respect' for the military as the reason that they are against the kneeling. And it can't be said enough that Colin spoke with a veteran and took the advice of the vet on what he felt would be the best way to protest in way that allowed for the message to be conveyed effectively but in a respectful manner. Not everyone will agree with this vet's advice but the very fact that Colin reached out to have the discussion ahead of time shows that his intent was never about disrespect. For as many times as they have discussed this issue on the show, I'm not sure if they've ever explicitly pointed out those two points and demanded a response that at least acknowledged these facts. It's easier for people to make it about disrespect than acknowledging the message of his protest because many of the people who say they are against the kneeling are the same ones who diminish the protest message by bringing up black on black crime. Truthfully, Sunny, Whoopi and Joy should just save Beto o'Rourke's explanation to file and roll the clip every time the subject comes up and the conservatives/guests pretend to not understand the issue.  When someone can encapsulate an argument as eloquently and as powerfully as he did, you don't need to reinvent that wheel.

They brought this up on Tuesday's show, but it didn't exactly go down as you're stating it. First, Kaepernick sat out the anthem, and at least one time during training, he was wore decorative socks with police-as-pigs.

Please keep in mind, I like the kneeling, but Kaepernick didn't reach out to a vet ahead of time. As was said on the show yesterday, former Green Beret and Seattle Seahawks player Nate Boyer wrote him an open letter after Kaepernick sat out the anthem. After they met and talked about it, Kaepernick started kneeling. Source

I thought I saw Boyer on The View last year, but I couldn't find anything with a quick Google. I probably saw him on a cable news show. 

On 9/4/2018 at 2:28 PM, nokat said:

She said her dad is a diplomat in Moscow. I added my own biases when I wrote "tight with Putin."

Jon Huntsman is the US Ambassador to Russia. He has a pretty solid reputation as a reasonable conservative. He was an also ran in the GOP primary in 2012. Unfortunately for him, he ran against Romney, and was seen as Romney-light. Abby's been working in media for at least six years. Her father didn't make much of a splash on the political scene. I am sure it doesn't hurt having an influential parent, but I doubt Abby's parentage got her this job, so much as her resume (and she probably has a good Q score). 

7 hours ago, Haleth said:

I wish Ana would have filled in for Meghan. 

Abby's enormous red lips are distracting. 

I wish Meghan would decide she no longer wants to be on The View. 

Then (and this is mean), I wish that the 3rd hour of GMA would fail and Sara would return. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I'd say her father and bestie Meh-gun deserve the credit more than anyone else.

Gone, never to return. Her and Paula's departures, along with Meh-gun being kept on and her best Foxbot friend brought on to join her has left me disillusioned with whoever's running the show these days. The hirings of the two Rosie's and Nicolle, and then bringing Joy back and hiring mature/intelligent women like Sunny, Sara, and Paula gave me hope that whoever's been in charge since Geddie was fired was trying to put on a decent talkshow. Carrying McCain, they've made it very clear they couldn't care less and I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt any longer.

Don't worry, there is one monumental difference--hair color. As long as they look a little different, no need to worry that two of the co-hosts are practically replicas of one another, both from military families, both former FOX employees, both only having jobs because of their famous fathers, both with relatives in Trump's administration. So much for women from "different backgrounds." Just find three more clones of Meh-gun and name the show after her already, ABC, since it's clearly what you want.

This!  Why have two clones on a show that supposed to be about different views??????  Gahhhh!!!!

I also object to AH's lack of knowledge of politics--her deer in the headlights look when Joy and Sunny were talking about Nixon today--it was apparent that she did not have a fucking clue. Her youth is not a plus on this panel, either, IMHO.  

Their fathers' positions got MM AND AH their jobs---let's not sugarcoat nepotism,  frat/sorority-type favors, or name recognition/celebrity/notoriety as a foot in the door among the thousands of smarter, attractive nobodies who applied. Or even somebody's like Ana who could best them all. 

Re:Nike. I also thought the story would be about sweatshops, foreign child labor, etc.  I would not buy my son Nikes ever due to these issues (he's almost 30 now). But, this summer I took my 12 year old nephew, who was visiting us from out of state, to the mall and shoes--predominantly Nike--were the top item on his viewing pleasure. He knew backstories about the shoes,  colors, design,  collectors' styles, etc.   Didn't buy any, of course. Nike knows how to market.  Glad Whoopi and Sunny spoke up about Colin's reason for kneeling.  I bet Nike puts a less polarizing (white) athlete on the next big item promotion.

It's all about the $.

Yes, I am cynical, but educated and realistic.  

• Love 7

I didn't even make it through the whole show today; in fact, not even half.  Abby is boring.  And when MM comes back, it will be literally unbearable.  It wouldn't surprise me if this ends up being the final season. 

Something I noticed during the short time I watched:  All the women seemed to speak more freely with Meggie absent.  Or maybe it was just that they got to speak at all with her not there.

• Love 17
57 minutes ago, General Days said:

They brought this up on Tuesday's show, but it didn't exactly go down as you're stating it. First, Kaepernick sat out the anthem, and at least one time during training, he was wore decorative socks with police-as-pigs.

Please keep in mind, I like the kneeling, but Kaepernick didn't reach out to a vet ahead of time. As was said on the show yesterday, former Green Beret and Seattle Seahawks player Nate Boyer wrote him an open letter after Kaepernick sat out the anthem. After they met and talked about it, Kaepernick started kneeling. Source

I thought I saw Boyer on The View last year, but I couldn't find anything with a quick Google. I probably saw him on a cable news show. 

Thanks for correcting that and providing a source. Much appreciated. I thought it happened before the kneeling but I still think that the fact he had the discussion and adjusted his behaviour based on the advice of the Nate Boyer was indicative of him not trying to use the kneeling as an attempt to disrespect the anthem or flag. 

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Something I noticed during the short time I watched:  All the women seemed to speak more freely with Meggie absent.  Or maybe it was just that they got to speak at all with her not there.

I feel this especially from Sunny. She's been wonderfully passionate and outspoken these two days, and I love it. I am think her hair extensions are fine. 

I enjoyed very much listening to John Kerry speak, especially the way he contrasted his and John McCain's Vietnam experiences. 

• Love 16

I am cautiously optimistic about Abby...maybe she really is an independent? She made it clear twice she’s not exactly comfortable with each party.

And there’s been no water chugging, eye rolling and shrieking so it’s already smoother than MM.

Edited by geekburger
  • Love 7

Whoopi may not give Meghan and Abby much of a chance to talk, because she is sure taking over with her wise? explanations of everything.  I got an angry vibe from Abby today.  Not much smiling going on,  and it seems like she looks at Whoopi a lot when she is talking.  Is she looking for approval?

• Love 2

Reminder: Your personal political beliefs are off topic here. Some posts have been removed. Warnings will be handed out for future posts that violate this PTV policy.

I'm with geekburger, there's been no water chugging, or more importantly, no attacking of the guests.  I'm hoping Abby was honest about being a moderate. I like when guests are allowed to speak, like today.

I really enjoyed listening to John Kerry. He got to have his say, no interrupting every few minutes.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 14
7 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

She's admitted in the past that she voted for him in 2004 because of resentment towards Bush and his team during the 2000 primary over tactics Karl Rove used against her family (specifically her sister Bridget, who was only around 10 at the time of that primary).

So, in theory at least, I'd like to think she would have done that. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

I didn't even make it through the whole show today; in fact, not even half.  Abby is boring.  And when MM comes back, it will be literally unbearable.  It wouldn't surprise me if this ends up being the final season. 

Woulda, coulda, shoulda been so good with Ana.

Yes, it will be unbearable when Meghan is back. Unbearable.

• Love 11

In the opening credits, why is the Abby segment second?  When Meghan joined the show, her segment was last and stayed that way.  

I'm not yet sure how I feel about Abby.  I sure didn't like her picking on Joy about Joy losing sleep.  I have a feeling she's gotten some pointers from her Fox friends to go after Joy.

I agree Joy looks kind of down.  She doesn't have her usual spark.    

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

The panelists are introduced in the opening credit sequence in the same order as they sit at the table.

Oh OK.  I didn't think of that.

Speaking of where they sit, I wonder if Abby will be moved to the end of the table when Meghan gets back, with Meghan being moved further in.  I remember Meghan saying something about sitting on the end of the table is not flattering for a full-figured woman.  Being on the show for a year has, I would think, given her some leverage to ask for a change.  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

You can google this (I don't know what links are allowed here).

"Hillary Clinton beat President-elect Donald Trump by 2.1% in the national popular vote. Her nearly 2.9 million vote advantage is the largest raw total among candidates who did not win the presidency. Only two others, Andrew Jackson (1824) and Samuel Tilden (1876) won by a larger percentage without also claiming the White House."

What seem like small percentages amount to large numbers of people.  It's the raw numbers that tell the story of how people really feel. 

• Love 17
8 hours ago, AdeleDazeem said:

You can google this (I don't know what links are allowed here).

"Hillary Clinton beat President-elect Donald Trump by 2.1% in the national popular vote. Her nearly 2.9 million vote advantage is the largest raw total among candidates who did not win the presidency. Only two others, Andrew Jackson (1824) and Samuel Tilden (1876) won by a larger percentage without also claiming the White House."

What seem like small percentages amount to large numbers of people.  It's the raw numbers that tell the story of how people really feel. 

Thanks, but I knew all that already.  My point was 46% is darn close to 50%.

I find it interesting that because Abby apparently doesn’t scream or froth at the mouth, she’s...acceptable. Never mind that she’s spouting the same shit as Meghan. So as long as she’s polite when she’s doing it, does ABC think that’s okay? So it seems.  Just by the virtue of where she was coming from was enough for me to remain steadfast in my decision not to watch this show. While Meghan and Abby are on it.

There were no “sparks” when this show first premiered. We’ve all discussed the myriad of reasons why Meghan hasn’t been jettisoned and the one of the reasons stated was “sparks.”

And reading the comments, I see that some thought it’s boring because “no sparks.”

Quite contradictory and confuzzling.??

• Love 9

Seeing as how she's barely been on this show, I am inclined to wait & see before jumping all over her.  AND, it's quite pleasant to have a not-screaming, not-foaming opinion.  She's more Jed than Meghan, which is fine with me.  

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I find it interesting that because Abby apparently doesn’t scream or froth at the mouth, she’s...acceptable. Never mind that she’s spouting the same shit as Meghan. So as long as she’s polite when she’s doing it, does ABC think that’s okay? So it seems.  Just by the virtue of where she was coming from was enough for me to remain steadfast in my decision not to watch this show. While Meghan and Abby are on it.

There were no “sparks” when this show first premiered. We’ve all discussed the myriad of reasons why Meghan hasn’t been jettisoned and the one of the reasons stated was “sparks.”

And reading the comments, I see that some thought it’s boring because “no sparks.”

Quite contradictory and confuzzling.??

It hasn't been boring for me.  Low key is the word I would use.

Abby says she is middle of the road and doesn't feel like she has a home with either party.  Let's see if she still feels that way when Meghan returns.  Meghan attacked Ana for not being a full fledged member of her tribe.  If Abby doesn't back up Meghan's tribalism will she go after her as well?

• Love 12
53 minutes ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Seeing as how she's barely been on this show, I am inclined to wait & see before jumping all over her.  AND, it's quite pleasant to have a not-screaming, not-foaming opinion.  She's more Jed than Meghan, which is fine with me.  

And I found Jedifoxbot insufferable. The only positive I can say about her was she got along with everyone and wasn’t a hateful beast to them, but still from the same kettle of fish.

Abby’s not new to television so I don’t see any reason to treat her as “give her time, she’s new” as if she’s inexperienced. But, ?, tomahto. The fact that she’s coming from FOX told me all I needed to know.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 17
6 minutes ago, OnTime said:

Abby chick, those white ginormous earrings are ridiculous. I'm waiting for one to fall off.

They match her ginormous lips. 

It just occurred to me that she looks like a younger Ashley Judd.

Im glad they showed part of the Kaepernick Nike commercial. It's beautiful and inspiring. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 10

Alright, I tuned in because the majority of you all seem underwhelmed by Abby, and I mean that in a good way. I caught the segment where they were discussing the scathing op-ed written by an anonymous white house staffer. I'm not sure I agree with Sunny when she says this person(s) is a hero - they're still working for the guy, after all. Most sane people know that Trump is not stable - thanks, Captain Obvious. I do believe we're going to eventually find out who is behind this stunning op-ed.

And I'm glad that Abby pointed out that the NYT is NOT failing - something I can't see Meghan ever doing.

It's such a relief to not have to suffer through Meghan's bouts of screeching, pouting and eye-rolling.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 18
11 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

It's such a relief to not have to suffer through Meghan's bouts of screeching, pouting and eye-rolling

Just wait until Megs gets back. Those ladies at the table are going to treat her like royalty and be sympathetic towards her craziness because of "how powerful" her eulogy was. Ugh.

• Love 15