Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: A Birth-day and a Birthday

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, debbie311 said:

9,000 sq feet!  Are you kidding me?  The place looked creepy!  You could have two or three families living there.  Josiah said JB was going to put some furniture in, to "stage it."  That I have to see.

I'm on tenterhooks. Will he use warehouse furniture or spring for some used shit at auction?

• Love 9

Found the episode on YouTube.

Joy looked so freaking done with pregnancy, not excited or anything. It was strange Michelle and Jessa kept mentioning weight, I get they are making her feel better for gaining weight but Joy was like "Bitch, shut up". They did the same thing when she announced her pregnancy Michelle and Jana, I think, told her how skinny she looked, when it was very obvious she was pregnant. 

I wonder how many hairs Austin pulled out of his enchiladas.

• Love 8

I get that Michelle was trying to make Joy feel better, but when someone's put on a lot of weight and obviously feels like crap about it, the worst thing you can do is make "Omg! You haven't gained an ounce!" comments. Just don't even bring it up. Joy's young and is active enough to lose it. Hopefully this experience makes her reconsider her diet and take better care of herself in the future.

• Love 17
2 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

JBoob said he has owned it about 3 years?  Why?  It doesnt take 3 years to renovate a house. Well, unless your Austin.

1 hour ago, debbie311 said:

9,000 sq feet!  Are you kidding me?  The place looked creepy!  You could have two or three families living there.  Josiah said JB was going to put some furniture in, to "stage it."  That I have to see.

I can see a 9000 house - esp in a 2 story w/ a finished basement. I just googled a floor plan to give me a visual ( link ) . And yes, houses and land can run big in the south - esp in rural areas.  A few of the Real Housewives of xxx  and a few ballers have also boasted to have a home up to that size.

But I am still stuck on whom in the area has the "wealth" to support a house of this size? A house of that size is ultra loaded with amenities .  I don't think that elevator was be used for people in a commercial bldg - it looked more like an freight/dump waiter elevator. JB doesn't strike me as a person who would be building out theater rooms, saunas, wine cellars, a full bath for every bedroom (maybe his/hers in the master), marble , vaulted ceilings, etc. 

JB is taking YEARS b/c (1) he didn't have a house to at least start from (2) he is cheap as hell. Cheap with labor, materials and time.

• Love 11
10 hours ago, sATL said:

I would like to know what is the real reason the women think they can't have the "labor of their dreams" somewhere other than at home? Have they actually toured a facility and asked questions? They focus so much on the labor - the focus should be on a healthy baby and mom.

If Austin was an EMT who transported moms to the hospital - why would that be such a foreign idea to him to have his child in one?

I think the Bates are also leaning away from home births, too. 

They've been brainwashed to think all of us on the outside are evil or I dunno were just not ''special'' like them, so I'm not surprised they want home births. Us outsiders will bring are heathen ways with us, we might even turn one of them into satanists lol. Honestly I think they're not too comfortable around people not inside their group which does make me wonder why they even have a midwife turn up at there births (unless she too is part of their cult) I mean the midwife gets a view of Joy's vagina no one can see that except her headship & if she goes into hospital think of all the male doctors and nurses who see Joy's vagina oh the shame, she'll have to whip herself after that cesarean. 

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, Puffin said:

They've been brainwashed to think all of us on the outside are evil or I dunno were just not ''special'' like them, so I'm not surprised they want home births. Us outsiders will bring are heathen ways with us, we might even turn one of them into satanists lol. Honestly I think they're not too comfortable around people not inside their group which does make me wonder why they even have a midwife turn up at there births (unless she too is part of their cult) I mean the midwife gets a view of Joy's vagina no one can see that except her headship & if she goes into hospital think of all the male doctors and nurses who see Joy's vagina oh the shame, she'll have to whip herself after that cesarean. 

Many of the lay midwives I’ve encountered are indeed members of strict fundamentalist churches and they cater to like-minded women.  They are often sceptical of modern medicine and convinced that most cesareans are unnecessary amongst other things.

• Love 14
7 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I agree I'd rather see someone be genuinely bitchy as opposed to fake sweet, but Lauren  comes across like she has a bit of a mean streak. Maybe her personality just doesn't translate well on camera, but the more I see of her the less I like. I don't feel particularly bad for Josiah because I think he's smug and has way too high an opinion of himself, but I don't see this being a happy relationship. Hopefully I'm wrong and they grow on each other.

Lauren reeks conceit, to me, in a way that Jessa doesn't.  Jessa tries but deep down she seems too unsure of herself, IMO.

• Love 11

I don't see Lauren as mean at all.  What I think we might see is her holding on to her patience.  I understand that doing that might be challenging when Josiah is around.  They've made it clear that he never stops talking and from some of the things he's done.....I can see how she might have to keep a lid on it.  So far, she's been very diplomatic about things.  

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Normades said:

I consider them active participants, even catalysts to what Josh did.  They are absolutely culpable in my opinion.

I would even make the argument that Josh himself should be allowed back on the show before those two are, and I don't think Josh should be allowed back AT ALL.  But he was a minor at the time, and it's possible he wouldn't have escalated if JB and Michelle had handled things correctly in the first place.

• Love 17

I'm still judging Lauren over, "I'm El Salvadorean so I like that kind of food!" That kind of food being whatever passes for "Mexican" in the TTH. So I will full on hate her until she redeems herself in a major way.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, GleamingMist said:

Kendra cemented her place as my new favourite Duggar with that comment!  I think it was immediately followed by comments about only being able to handle really healthy food or something like that?  I love when they throw shade while keeping sweet.

That was so cute. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Many of the lay midwives I’ve encountered are indeed members of strict fundamentalist churches and they cater to like-minded women.  They are often sceptical of modern medicine and convinced that most cesareans are unnecessary amongst other things.

Childbirth was so much safer before modern medicine. /sarcasm 

Seriously, though, one wonders if Jill has trouble cognitively between her ‘lay midwife’ theories and the realities of her and her family’s actual childbirth experiences. Several of which definitely needed the intervention of modern medicine. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

I'm still judging Lauren over, "I'm El Salvadorean so I like that kind of food!" That kind of food being whatever passes for "Mexican" in the TTH. So I will full on hate her until she redeems herself in a major way.

That comment kinda irked me too.  I have no idea why being El Salvadorian makes you like Mexican food or "that kind of food".   Lauren said that just so she could say on camera that she is El Salvadorian.  If they were talking about hot weather, she would've said "I'm El Salvadorian so I hot like hot weather"   She was dying to let you know she is El Salvadorian. 

I get that the food you are raised on tends to be familiar and what you might prefer.  But let's be honest, and I'm just gonna say it. Doubtful her mom is cooking authentic El Salvadorian food every night.  The family looks like they live a pretty standard White American life to me. Maybe I'm wrong and that is an assumption but I just am not seeing it. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, lascuba said:

She said "I'm a lil' Salvadorian, so I like that kinda food." It sounded strange to me too. I think one of her grandparents might be Salvadorian but I doubt she has any connection to that culture like Marjorie has with her Guatemalan culture. We all know what passes as "Latin/Mexican" food in these peoples houses.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, graefin said:

Well, I haven't found Josiah's house yet, but I did find that "spooky" house that Jill and Jessa toured a while back while claiming that they were looking to upgrade their housing:

https://www.trulia.com/p/ar/springdale/5292-n-graham-rd-springdale-ar-72762--2108047062

Looks like JB paid a pretty penny for it.

It’s only spooky because they have no imagination. I love that house!!  A house with such good bones could be the star of the neighborhood. 

• Love 5

Hmm......interesting house. I didn't realize that houses in that price range would be common in that locale. I wonder what the plan is. I know JB is renovating, but, it sounds like they aren't planning on placing it on the market anytime soon.  So, could more than one Duggar family live in it? Like, perhaps, Austin, Joy and Gideon?  Or maybe, JD and Abby?  Sort of a mini compound? lol

• Love 2

That house looked bad. Rough floors (not suitable for babies crawling on it), wood paneled walls, some mold and the pool was green. Whatever he plans to do with it, it will take a lot of cleaning, painting, and elbow grease to get it up to par. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

That house looked bad. Rough floors (not suitable for babies crawling on it), wood paneled walls, some mold and the pool was green. Whatever he plans to do with it, it will take a lot of cleaning, painting, and elbow grease to get it up to par. 

It's a good thing Boob has an entire horde of cheap, unlicensed laborers (i.e., sons) who he probably pays under the table.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, BitterApple said:

It's a good thing Boob has an entire horde of cheap, unlicensed laborers (i.e., sons) who he probably pays under the table.

Yes, all that unskilled labor will make it a very safe habitable home. *sarcasm* 

• Love 8

I know it's a pain to live in a construction zone, but, if they can hold up in a fairly redone section, while the rest is completed, it would be a nice savings on rent though.  Just getting started, it's nice to have your privacy, but also forego such a big hunk of funds for rent or mortgage. Those monthly savings could go towards their own house down payment for later.  Avoiding even  low rent situation could supply them with a tidy sum after even one year. I'm assuming that JB won't charge them rent. lol 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

No, rent comes out of their TLC paycheck that he collects so generously on everybody’s behalf.  *sarcasm* 

My goodness.....oh well....maybe, they'll get something for their trouble. lol 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Lunera said:

Found the episode on YouTube.

Joy looked so freaking done with pregnancy, not excited or anything. It was strange Michelle and Jessa kept mentioning weight, I get they are making her feel better for gaining weight but Joy was like "Bitch, shut up". They did the same thing when she announced her pregnancy Michelle and Jana, I think, told her how skinny she looked, when it was very obvious she was pregnant. 

I wonder how many hairs Austin pulled out of his enchiladas.

Wow, you would think Austin’s mom would have focused the recipes on Joy’s favorite foods since she’s, you know, the one actually recovering from childbirth.  These people are ridiculous!

ETA: I think that’s the first time I’ve seen Austin show genuine emotion. His smile actually reached his eyes.  Why didn’t Joy get a baby shower before Giddyup was born?

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 9
11 minutes ago, kokapetl said:

The stone floors and wood paneling in every room are hideous. Imagine if the entire Brady Bunch house was done in a single style. That’s what the house looks like to me. 

Now all they need is to do the kitchen in bright orange and avocado green.

Seriously, I still watch the Brady Bunch reruns.  I'm about Greg's age now, and in the early 70's, they were just the most far-out kids (!)

70's decor left a lot to be desired.  Same with fashion.

I do like Kendra, titter aside.  Lauren is one cool customer.  And her dad is slimy.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Now all they need is to do the kitchen in bright orange and avocado green.

Seriously, I still watch the Brady Bunch reruns.  I'm about Greg's age now, and in the early 70's, they were just the most far-out kids (!)

70's decor left a lot to be desired.  Same with fashion.

I do like Kendra, titter aside.  Lauren is one cool customer.  And her dad is slimy.

I am also in your age group. My mother spent a good amount of money to wallpaper the kitchen in our newly bought house. Imagine her surprise and horror when she found out we had the same wallpaper as the KFC right up the street. I thought it  was hilarious. My mother? Not so much. 

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 14
8 hours ago, Marigold said:

That comment kinda irked me too.  I have no idea why being El Salvadorian makes you like Mexican food or "that kind of food".   Lauren said that just so she could say on camera that she is El Salvadorian.  If they were talking about hot weather, she would've said "I'm El Salvadorian so I hot like hot weather"   She was dying to let you know she is El Salvadorian. 

I get that the food you are raised on tends to be familiar and what you might prefer.  But let's be honest, and I'm just gonna say it. Doubtful her mom is cooking authentic El Salvadorian food every night.  The family looks like they live a pretty standard White American life to me. Maybe I'm wrong and that is an assumption but I just am not seeing it. 

I haven't watched the episode, but I think you hit the nail on the head about her.

She reminds me of this guy I went to school with who, for reasons known only to him because I despised him and was quite vocal about expressing it, was always trying to flirt with me. One of his come-ons was he was good at Spanish because he was a 1/4 Puerto Rican. ^^ Maybe he should have pounced on Lauren when she was still single! 

Was Lauren's mother born in El Salvador or is she of El Salvadorean descent? 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 5
On 9/4/2018 at 12:59 PM, sATL said:

Anytime these women get together and cook my food prep checklist comes out... folding taco/enchilada on top of the store pkg plastic bag - which I doubt they washed off before hand?

5b8ebc0e844f5_foodonplasticbag.png.30bae0c1b4314a05c7476c2f1afa32fc.png

Okay, that is just disgustingly trashtastic.  (We have some eagle-eyed viewers in this forum.  I thought had sharp eyes!)

• Love 8
14 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I believe her GGma (possible grandmother) was from El Salvador. Her name was Milagro, and the oldest daughter in each subsequent generation has that as her middle name. So, at most, she's 1/8 Salvadoran. 

Thank you! 

13 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I believe her GGma (possible grandmother) was from El Salvador. Her name was Milagro, and the oldest daughter in each subsequent generation has that as her middle name. So, at most, she's 1/8 Salvadoran. 

Oh wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!       1/8   That is super duper El Salvadorian!  No wonder she loves reheated Mexican food so much!  

@lascuba  hahaha 1/8 El Salvadorian!

@Zella I can just picture a guy trying to show how Puerto Rican he is when he has to remind you a million times!  

• Love 6
On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:19 PM, Pingaponga said:

Josh and Anna are, we assume, living in yet another JB-owned property.

They live in their own house.  They bought it just before Josh-gate erupted.  It was a foreclosure and Josh and the family (mostly family I think) remodeled it.

I am mostly German American.   I do not like German food, though Pa Dutch food is yummy!

PS When I say German American.  I mean great grandparents born in Germany, none more recent than that.  so mostly American.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

I am mostly German American.   I do not like German food, though Pa Dutch food is yummy!

PS When I say German American.  I mean great grandparents born in Germany, none more recent than that.  so mostly American.

And, being German American doesn't mean you like French or Dutch food either.  El Salvador and Mexico are entirely different countries with entirely different cuisines.  Lauren is a dope.

• Love 10
On 9/5/2018 at 8:25 PM, Pingaponga said:

I'm assuming Joe and Kendra aren't "housesitting". So how does JB decide who gets a house to live in off-property, who gets a house on-property, and who has to make do with house-sitting? Because I can't figure it out.

Kendra probably wouldn’t stand for that house sitting bs.  She seems unafraid to voice her opinion, and I don’t think Joe would have done anything like that if she weren’t all in.  Lauren,  OTOH, is playing keeping sweet in the beginning, so she won’t oppose.  A small wood-framed cabin probably wouldn’t be good enough for her.  

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

And, being German American doesn't mean you like French or Dutch food either.  El Salvador and Mexico are entirely different countries with entirely different cuisines.  Lauren is a dope.

My mother is Hispanic from the Dominican Republic. Everyone assumes they eat tacos out there. While they do now with all the restaurants that are down there, they didn't 20+ years ago. When my mom came to this country in the early 60s she had her first taco. She hated it. 

One dish that we do eat down there that I grew up eating when I would go on vacation is Kibbeh. Its a middle eastern dish made of bulgur, minced onions, and finely ground lean beef, lamb, goat, or camel meat with Middle Eastern spices. Like a dumpling. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 8

I'm half-German, and don't like German food, as a rule.  My mom only made sauerkraut a few times that I remember, and I'm thankful that she never made me eat it.

Mr. Xword, who is not one bit German, likes most German food, except for German Potato Salad.  Too vinegary, or something.

I've never heard of Kibbeh, but now I want to make some.  

• Love 5
On 9/5/2018 at 1:30 PM, Mindthinkr said:

That house looks like a money pit to me.  It would have to have a shit ton of work done on it before I would live there.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

That house looks like a money pit to me.  It would have to have a shit ton of work done on it before I would live there.

I'm fascinated with JBoob's purchase of that house. I wish we had all the details. Maybe he wont flip it and just move his family in it. It's much bigger that his own house. 

• Love 2