Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E14: Las Vegas Finals Night 2

• Start Topic

28 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Interesting that they called the Double Dipper "dangerous" and mentioned a couple of the big names who went out on it... but not the one who actually got seriously injured on it.

Dangerous as in “it’ll take your ass out if you’re not careful.”

Awwwwwww . .  . nothing but the best stuntwomen for Patty Jenkins. It does suck that Jessie couldn’t try to make up for last year’s upset. I hope she’s back in 2019.

ETA: . . . aaaaaaaaaaand Kevin Bull goes out more or less the same way with the cargo net. Dang. BTW, does Nintendo own the name “Bald Bull” from the Punch-Out games? I think that’s keeping the producers from “gifting” that to Kevin.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Dangerous as in “it’ll take your ass out if you’re not careful.”

I know. They did mention him a couple times later, but not the injury. I was just kind of amused. I guess they don't want to remind people that they could really get hurt.

"THE YOUNGEST EVER!" thing is already getting old. The only reason 19yos haven't hit buzzers before is because they weren't allowed to run. There is nothing about being two years younger than the previous minimum age that makes it so extra impressive that they made it through the obstacles.

Oh, please, no more eating bugs. ? (Okay, I laughed at Akbar trying to spit it out.)

Damn, Najee got high up on that net!

Sorry for Brett losing his beard, but to be honest I think he looks better without it. ?

Aww, little Hazel does not look happy. I'm always surprised more parents don't put ear protection on their little ones with all that noise.

Did Akbar say "dadgummit" before or is that new this season?

No comment on Jake's shoe caddy...it might be interesting to watch him try to run it in golf shoes, though. Probably not good for the landing pads, I guess. (Side note: Is Grant still working as a flight attendant? I was watching a rerun the other day from when he had short hair and they mentioned that he had cut his hair because his airline asked him to, but now it's long again.)

How deep the water in the pools? I guess it's gotta be deep enough that anyone who winds up going in upside down won't hit their head on the bottom (or their ass, in case they somehow find themselves doing a cannonball from the top of the cargo net,I guess). I googled this once out of curiosity and I couldn't find an answer.

6 minutes ago, sab85 said:

"Oh, c'mon Meghan!" I yell. From my couch. Where I'm eating icecream. 

I just had a Hershey's caramel cookie chocolate bar thing...in between watching and fixing salads for the next few days' lunches.

• Love 5

No thank you to the Island Ninja caddy.  He's gotten more screen time than people who are legitimately in Vegas to RUN THE COURSE.  I know he's a character, a "beloved fan favorite" or whatever hyperbole Matt and Akbar would use to describe him.  But maybe we could use some of that airtime to, oh, I dunno, show someone RUNNING THE COURSE?  I would even take a sad backstory from someone who qualified for Vegas over yet another shot of Grant.

Ahem.  Sorry about that.  Warmed to my theme once I started.

Jessie's secret job sounds awesome.  I wondered in my head if she was working for Marvel - in the right shots she could probably double for Scarlett Johansson.

Thirty finishers seems pretty consistent with years past, but somehow Stage 1 seemed really sad this year.  I don't know if it was that all the women flamed out, or that so many long time stars went out on really early obstacles, but I didn't enjoy this the way I have in years past.

• Love 9

Damn . . . thirty ninjas made it to the finale next week. So why does it feel like a bummer of a Stage One? I think because a lot of "names" went out early, mostly on Double Dipper. I don't consider that to be a "lay-up" obstacle, but it wasn't new.

Jessie's absence also sucked. I mean, it's great she's working on a "Worlds of DC" movie that we know won't suck outright (we're crossing our fingers for Aquaman and Shazam!), but I wanted to see if she could complete Stage One. Sadly, all of the women went out, and a few did that on the first obstacle. Very disappointing.

At least next week looks to be a blast, even if I'm doubting anyone makes it to Stage Four. And while I get the eye rolls with Jake Murray's shenanigans, I'm happy he's back in top form.

51 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Oh, please, no more eating bugs. ? (Okay, I laughed at Akbar trying to spit it out.)

Sorry for Brett losing his beard, but to be honest I think he looks better without it. ?

1. I'm thinking that bugs basically taste like anything else if you cook them enough. I still wouldn't get 'em, because I'm a wuss. I get that Bug Ninja wouldn't be irresponsible enough to leave the stingers on the scorpions, but you have to imagining coming out of the commercial break. "I see you, Matt! I see you going to the E/R!!!!"

2. Ryan always had the beard, right? It looks better on him that Brent's.

• Love 4

I agree with others in that Stage 1 felt like a huge bummer. It was just a bloodbath with the top ninjas. At least not ALL of my faves went out. 

Speaking of that. Man alive was I nervous for Drew’s run. And of course they (and even him) had to go on and on and on about how he always completes stage 1 and fully expect him to finish yada yada yada. Thank the good Lord that he made it through. And not only did he make it through he KILLED IT. I was shocked Jake beat his time. They were both insane. 

I audibly gasped when Ryan Stratis went down on that tire. I don’t know why but I just thought he was going to get through. And then I know he had shoulder problems in the past and I wasn’t sure if it was the same shoulder he fell on. He looked rough but seemed ok when he was shaving Brett’s beard lol. And yes, Brett looks much better without the beard! I bet his wife was relieved. 

I really wish we’d had at least one or two women complete Stage 1. And I definitely missed Jessie. 

I’m so bummed next week is the end. ANW has become my all time favorite and I’ll miss it until next year! 

• Love 7

My definition of a "bloodbath" was the season of Sasuke where 98 out of one hundred competitors failed on Stage One. Yes, that actually happened. And the two that did advance (including the "three percent body fat" firefighter) wiped out on Salmon Ladder, nowhere near the end of Stage Two.

Also: When you complete Stage One and get relegated to the corner box, can that be taken as a "fuck you"? I would.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Interesting that they called the Double Dipper "dangerous" and mentioned a couple of the big names who went out on it... but not the one who actually got seriously injured on it.

This was all filmed on one night, so he was probably still at the ER. I don't think they could keep saying, "we think he broke his ankle," until they had some actual confirmation.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Wow, we got more Nicholas Coolridge tonight than we got in the last 3 years combined!  Finally.  Anyways, thank you, show!

FINALLY. I couldn't believe it...a run AND backstory? Loved it. He's so humble and fun.

Loved seeing Drew kill the course. If I had to say that any ninja should win the million, it would be Drew. It just seems like a huge part of his life and I love that he runs Ninja gyms and hires other ninjas to work for him. A win all around.

Najee is another I'm rooting for. He's just awesome.

Oh Meghan. That hurt to watch. I'm not sure what happened to the women in Stage 1 this year. Hopefully just learning experiences leading to some awesome comebacks next year.

It seems like there were more ninjas than usual getting dinged up this year. Broken ankles, hurting knees and shoulders, ouch.

Does it mean anything that there is only one episode left? I can't imagine getting through all 3 stages left in one ep even knowing most won't go past Stage 2. 

• Love 4

Jake Murray and Grant McCartney are two different kinds of attention seekers. Jake Murray is more "hey, aren't I delightfully quirky? Look how COOL I am," where Grant is "LOOK AT ME! I CARE NOT FOR LOOKING COOL! I WILL LOOK AS FOOLISH AS I MUST FOR THAT PRECIOUS, PRECIOUS SCREEN TIME!" I do not care for either one.

A lot of veterans went out on really stupid mistakes/flukes on obstacles that they've done before. Maybe they were too focused on the new things and didn't "worry" enough about the repeat obstacles.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Interesting that they called the Double Dipper "dangerous"

A number of people who didn't make the landing pad slammed into it feet first . . . fortunately nobody else hit it as hard as Travis Rosen.

10 hours ago, srpturtle80 said:

I audibly gasped when Ryan Stratis went down on that tire. I don’t know why but I just thought he was going to get through. And then I know he had shoulder problems in the past and I wasn’t sure if it was the same shoulder he fell on.

I was also wondering if he hit the shoulder he had surgery on.  I was really hoping that he'd at least complete Stage 1.

9 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Wow, we got more Nicholas Coolridge tonight than we got in the last 3 years combined!  Finally.  Anyways, thank you, show!

At last!  I hope his knee is okay.

Chris Wilczewski is one of my favorite ninjas.  I'm disappointed that they didn't show his run.  I'm glad he completed Stage 1, but now I'm really worried about him because of the underwater obstacle on Stage 2.  How big a deal is NBC going to make of the fact that they're going to put the guy who almost drowned through an underwater obstacle?

I was also anxious during Drew's run.  It was a relief to see him crush it.

I don't have anything against The Kid, but I'm glad that Drew and Jake Murray beat his time so he didn't have the fastest time for Stage 1.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

The Earth must have tilted on its axis. Whatever the reason, I was grateful for it. The best part of the backstory was Nick waving at his neighbor while using his outdoor shower. It made me giggle. I am completely unspoiled, so this is just speculation, but I'm hoping this means that Nick does really well on Stage 2 After having spent three years putting him in the WWWA-zone, the producers might have felt the need to "re-introduce" him to the general viewing audience. Fingers crossed.

Please, show, no more "skits" on the starting platform. Ugh. No.

I figured Jessie for Wonder Woman when she wore the "grecian warrior" outfit in Miami. Good for her, but her absence was keenly felt.

And gooooo, Najee. Love that kid!

• Love 4

It feels like 30 finishers is more than we had in the past years...  looking forward to seeing them on Stage 2, and I hope that at least on Stage 2, they show everyone's runs and no backstories.  After all, we have heard them all now more than once, and who would tune in for the final who hasn't watched at least some of the show before?

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I hope that at least on Stage 2, they show everyone's runs and no backstories.

ITA, but I can do math.

Last night they said next week is the finale. IF stage 2 takes two minutes, then thirty finishers would go at least fifteen minutes into hour number 2.  And they only have two hours. And we saw the underwater challenge that they've been publicizing for at least two weeks.  

I don't see any possible way that the ignored WWWA finishers get any backstory presented.  There were at least ?eight who got the WWWA treatment at a minute and a half each....there isn't time.

Stage three is what? 

Regardless of whether the hellish hanging from your fingertips obstacles are two or three, it takes an individual time to show how they are done and then for howevermany make it that far say it takes four people three minutes there. 

I'm already running out of time because I HAVE to allow time for commercials. And smoozing with the guys and the blond. 

Stage 4 is Mount Mid. 

Only two hours....unless stage two is a massive ninja knockdown, followed by destruction of the remaining Ninjas in stage 3.

How could they do that?  Put time limits on everything.  By the time stage 1 is over, they find they have 30.  And they cynically adjust to fill the air space less commercials that they have. 

• Love 1

Bummed that Jessie couldn't compete but stunts for Wonder Woman is a fair trade off. 

STOP MAKING ISLAND NINJA A THING.  He's not even running and yet he was shown on both Stage 1 nights so I'm sure we will see a lot of him in the finale.  Which doesn't make me want to tune in.  

I'm here for Drew hopefully being the last one standing as I don't see any of them passing stage 2.  

• Love 2

I’m so on the Drew train and hope this is his year.  

That was a hard hit that Ryan Stratis took to his shoulder, I hope he wasn’t seriously injured.  Even still, any shoulder injury can be extremely painful so I’m sure that wasn’t how he wanted to go out.  

If you google Travis Rosen he gives an update on his recovery, and he was most definitely seriously injured.  He needed surgery and his ankle was broken in multiple places. Maybe they need to re-think those landing pads, it appears they were way too unforgiving.  Too many ninja’s looked like they were limping after landing on them.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, mtlchick said:

STOP MAKING ISLAND NINJA A THING.  He's not even running and yet he was shown on both Stage 1 nights so I'm sure we will see a lot of him in the finale.  Which doesn't make me want to tune in.    

I'm sure he bought himself a ticket to Las Vegas well in advanced thinking he was a shoe-in to compete.

38 minutes ago, eel2178 said:

I'm sure he bought himself a ticket to Las Vegas well in advanced thinking he was a shoe-in to compete.

Let's look at the upside - at least they did away with the "wildcards" or he WOULD have competed regardless of how poorly he did!

4 hours ago, enoughcats said:

IF stage 2 takes two minutes, then thirty finishers would go at least fifteen minutes into hour number 2

Can't remember what the limit was, but we can't expect more than a handful of guys to complete the entire stage, or even go far enough to time out.  

They won't show everyone on stage 2, it said next episode is the season finale so they have to show stages 2 and 3 (and hopefully, if there's a 4) in one episode. They will definitely WWWA a bunch of folks. 

This is total and complete speculation, but I think if we can get at least 6 people to clear stage 2, we might get someone to clear stage 3.

You may not like him but the Island Ninja has a lot of friends in the Ninja world who did compete in Vegas and he was there to cheer them on.  I’ve seen it before.  Almost every major female was there the day Jessie Graff beat Stage 1. Most of which never even got wild cards.  They were all still there.   The higher level you are the more likely you are to be able to be one of the group who “supports” a ninja on the floor.

PS although I was disappointed not to see you congrats Jessie for getting your dream job.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

I remember in season 7 when Isaac and Geoff made it to stage 4 there were something like 27 finishers of stage 1, 6 or 7 for stage 2 and two finishers for stage 3. Stages 2,3 and 4 were all in one show. 

Edited by Conotocarious
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

but you have to imagining coming out of the commercial break. "I see you, Matt! I see you going to the E/R!!!!"

Thanks, I needed that laugh. :-D

20 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

2. Ryan always had the beard, right? It looks better on him that Brent's.

I don't think he had it early on, but he's had it for most of his ANW time (of course I can't find any good pictures of him without it). Brett has too much of a baby face for that beard (also, I'm just not a fan of facial hair).

20 hours ago, srpturtle80 said:

I audibly gasped when Ryan Stratis went down on that tire. I don’t know why but I just thought he was going to get through. And then I know he had shoulder problems in the past and I wasn’t sure if it was the same shoulder he fell on. He looked rough but seemed ok when he was shaving Brett’s beard lol. 

I rolled my eyes at Akbar screaming about it going in reverse. Um, that's what it's supposed to do? (As they have reminded us about every third run.) And I don't think that's why he fell, anyway – his foot landed on the edge of the wheel and he tipped off the side. Was it my imagination or did he look muddy when he came out of the water? Where was there mud?

19 hours ago, eel2178 said:

This was all filmed on one night, so he was probably still at the ER. I don't think they could keep saying, "we think he broke his ankle," until they had some actual confirmation.

Oh, good point; I tend to forget about that.

9 hours ago, Deianeira said:
  1. A number of people who didn't make the landing pad slammed into it feet first . . . fortunately nobody else hit it as hard as Travis Rosen.
  2. Chris Wilczewski is one of my favorite ninjas.  I'm disappointed that they didn't show his run.  I'm glad he completed Stage 1, but now I'm really worried about him because of the underwater obstacle on Stage 2.  How big a deal is NBC going to make of the fact that they're going to put the guy who almost drowned through an underwater obstacle?
  3. I don't have anything against The Kid, but I'm glad that Drew and Jake Murray beat his time so he didn't have the fastest time for Stage 1.
  1. Yeah, I was really noticing that last night. The guy with the "this kid needs a kidney" shirt (can't remember his name) hurt his foot by crashing into one of the pads like that, didn't he (I don't remember if it was on that obstacle, though). He was limping for the rest of the course.
  2. Oh, jeez, I didn't think of that. My guess is it'll either not be mentioned at all, or a be big "tell us how that felt" moment with Christine, assuming he makes it that far (I'm assuming it'll be the last obstacle, because how can you do any others if you're soaking wet?).
  3. I felt the same way. Glad I'm not the only one. (Did you know he's only nineteen‽‽‽)
Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2

Grant, and other ninjas not running Stage 1, may also be there to participate in the All Stars, which tapes after the finals, along with USA vs The World.  That's another reason I'm sad Jessie isn't in Vegas - no All Stars for her, and she always does so well.  I'm glad she's doing something she loves, though, even if I miss seeing her in Vegas.

So glad Drew and Najee both made it through.  I think they're the two I was most rooting for to make it.  30 finishers isn't a particularly low total (especially compared to only 17 in S8), but it seems like it was such a bloodbath.

Looking forward to seeing how the competitors tackle the underwater obstacle.  I know Drew's done Sasuke, which has a water obstacle, but I'm curious to find out if anyone else has experience (or bothered to train, just in case it ever came up).

There have been very few finishers on Stage 2 the last couple of seasons, just 2 in S8 and 3 in S9 (with 41 finishers on Stage 1, no less).  Very interested to see how this season's ninjas do.

• Love 1
On 9/4/2018 at 12:01 AM, eel2178 said:

Can that possibly be true? The Japanese version does film in one continuous block, and they start filming Stage 1 in the morning and the 100th racer races in darkness. The last three stages are run in darkness as well. Even if you can make the run and reset times last only 6 minutes on average, it would take 10 hours to do. About a third of the Japanese field are novelty runners who are lucky to clear an obstacle or two, so I would imagine that the American version would take longer to film. My guess would be that ANW would be taped over at least three nights, since they insist on filming in complete darkness. And are they really taping at 4-5am?

The schedule's gone off the ticket website, but I thought they had at least 5 taping nights, if not more, with one for USA vs the World and one for the All Stars special, and at least three for the finals.  As far as how long they'll tape?  I believe it's as long as they can.  There was one Vegas episode in a recent season where you could just barely see the sunrise starting.

I agree with everyone saying this stage 1 seemed disappointing. So many of my favorites flamed out - I am still bummed about Joe M a week later! It really felt like a step backwards for all the women, especially without Jessie Graff- even other strong women like Barclay and Meagan and Alyssa did worse this year than last year. When they showed the finishers list at the end, I didn't recognize half the names. It kind of feels like a changing of the guard.

Even so, I am rooting for Drew, Najee, Daniel Gill, Jamie Rahn and Jake Murray next week. I know people think Jake is annoying, but I find him funny. Well, maybe not the stupid shoe caddy thing at the beginning, but usually I find him funny. I do miss the headband though.

This week's snarky laugh came courtesy of speedo ninja. Very happy I don't have to see that next week.

Finally, my ANW snack of choice last night was Birthday Cake flavored mini cookies from the Walmart bakery. Happy to know I am not the only one armchair quarterbacking these amazing athletes while eating unhealthy treats! ;-p

• Love 5
7 hours ago, JenMD said:

The schedule's gone off the ticket website, but I thought they had at least 5 taping nights, if not more, with one for USA vs the World and one for the All Stars special, and at least three for the finals.  As far as how long they'll tape?  I believe it's as long as they can.  There was one Vegas episode in a recent season where you could just barely see the sunrise starting.

5 nights would make sense.

There are 6 cities, sending at most 17 Ninjas to the finals, meaning there are 102 ninjas at most. (Actually less because some of the women made it to the Top 15). Let's say 10 minutes per ninja run, including time to reset the course. So that's 6 Ninjas an hour. To go through 100 ninjas you would need about 17 hours. Las Vegas doesn't have 17 hour nights, so they would need 2 nights just for Stage 1 no matter what.  2 nights for stage 1, and 1 night for the rest would make sense. 

I was sad Jessie couldn't make it, and a bit disappointed none of the women made it; but they did have a few close runs. I'm sure one or two will probably make it next year, including Jessie. 

I was really scared for the edit Drew was getting, and glad he made it. Sure he was going quick, but it was the quickness of self assurance, not a reckless quickness like a lot of the younger ninjas do (and often flame out on). 

• Love 2

I thought pretty much all of the women who made it this year were in the top 15 for each City or at least the vast majority were in the top 15. Your numbers are fine, I just remember being impressed most weeks that they did not need the "two women advance" rule this season.

I think that the fact that we don't know  most of the people who made it through is a good indication that they are doing a crap job in the city runs introducing people to the folks who are going to be advancing. They know who is going through by the time the shows are airing, they should know who to focus on. Cut back on the back stories and show the freaking runs. And stop focusing on the people we already know. Seriously, the veterans already have their names out there, I don't need another new package on these folks. I don't care that Eskimo Ninja visited Island Ninja. I don't care, especially when neither one of them advanced to stage 2.

Stop with the full on background packages in the city stages for people who don't complete the course.

God, I want to watch the show for the runs. Stop with the stupid packages.

• Love 4

I think at least one of the women from each city made it into the top 15.  I don’t think the second did.   Still this season of Cegas was hell on the women.  Most of them flamed put gloriously so much so that I am actually even more disappointed that Jessie Graff didn’t run.  Oh well.

The Wiki is up to date with the results of each city

For Dallas, both women were just out of the final 15, but Barclay was only out by about 15 seconds.

For LA, both women were also just out of the final 15. Tiana was out by 1m20seconds or so. 

In Miami, both Jessie and Rachael made it into the Top 15. (Jessie was in the Top 5 of Miami)

In Indianapolis, Labreck made it in the Top 15, Jeri did not.

In Philly, both Allyssa and Michelle made it in the Top 15. 

In Minneapolis, neither women made the Top 15, but Meagan was only about 15 seconds behind the 15th place. 

So 7 out of 12 women did not make their respective city's Top 15, but 2 that missed were really close. 

I'll CC this post to the Women thread since this is a bit of a derail for the Vegas finals thread. :) 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

They know who is going through by the time the shows are airing, they should know who to focus on. Cut back on the back stories and show the freaking runs.

In agreement. 

In an alternative universe, there'd be detailed analyses of what took certain body types out.  For example, people who were light weight tended to drop into the water on obstacle three because they didn't build up enough speed to carry their moment of inertia over the drop pad. 

Tall people got a near freeby in some of the city competitions by needing only three steps to go over wobbly bits (one step per bit) and short people needed two steps per bit.  Some long armed people could reach across things IN an obstacle where others have to work up to a jump.

If I had any talents in art, I'd love to take Da Vinci's Vitruvian man and show him (with his dimensions as inked) (with a loin cloth) doing the course.  (I might even go back to Vitruvius' man  whose big hands and long feet might be both an advantage and disadvantage.

2 hours ago, QuePasa said:

I find it ridiculous that the ninjas have to change shirts to watch each person running the course.  Why does every single person running need a “_________ ninja” name and a specific shirt? 

I'm still waiting for someone to show up with a shirt that says, "No Nickname Ninja."

• Love 2
4 hours ago, QuePasa said:

I find it ridiculous that the ninjas have to change shirts to watch each person running the course.  Why does every single person running need a “_________ ninja” name and a specific shirt? 

So they can make money with merchandise 

On 9/4/2018 at 4:49 PM, ClareWalks said:

They won't show everyone on stage 2, it said next episode is the season finale so they have to show stages 2 and 3 (and hopefully, if there's a 4) in one episode. They will definitely WWWA a bunch of folks. 

This is total and complete speculation, but I think if we can get at least 6 people to clear stage 2, we might get someone to clear stage 3.

Sorry, this is my first time on this forum. I love it, but what does WWWA mean?

23 minutes ago, jlc said:

Sorry, this is my first time on this forum. I love it, but what does WWWA mean?

While We Were Away. "While we were away, these less interesting ninjas ran the course. They have stories, but since they're not going too far, we won't be getting into them."

• Love 1

I completely understand why some viewers might find Grant to be a little much, but the intensity with which he watches the other ninjas compete is kinda adorable. To me, anyway.

And my teenage daughters *really* like seeing Grant on the screen, so it occurs to me that his looks might be at least part of the reason he gets so much screen time. :)