Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

Yeah, 2010 was mostly a dumpster fire after the ousters of Rachel/Kim/Schuyler/Fish/Kyle, particularly during the summer of teens, Teens, TEENS!  Things got a little better late in the year with Echo's arrival giving Viki/Clint/Dorian/Charlie something to do and the feud between Marty and Natalie really bubbling, but there was always some Ford Family-related nonsense going on.

• Love 1

LOL.  I mean, it ending up being an excuse for Rex to cry and whine about his paternity some more wasn't great.  But I loved Viki and Dorian teaming up against her, especially since they had been wasted all that summer on some juvenile shenanigans.  Plus, fun old timey flashbacks!

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, TeeVee329 said:

I loved Viki and Dorian teaming up against her, especially since they had been wasted all that summer on some juvenile shenanigans.  Plus, fun old timey flashbacks!

Okay, that part of Echo was good.

• Love 2
(edited)

Natalie and Rex confront Roxy about Mitch Laurence being alive/killing Jared/being Rex's "dad".  Melissa Archer and Ilene Kristen are SO good in this scene, JPL is horrendous per usual:

This also reminded me that Roxy apparently had some other secret about Mitch.  We saw Kyle ask her a time or two what the real deal was between them, and Roxy was actually going to spill it to him when Kyle broke in and told her about Stacy's baby not being her grandchild.  Obviously, that all got rewritten to make Schuyler Roxy and Mitch's kid, but I wonder what Ron originally had in mind.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

So I decided to watch some old oltl videos of Max & Gabrielle on YouTube, since they were my otp back in the day (& Fiona being my first girl crush). Man chemistry between the 2 of them were off the charts! My 10 year old self used to wonder if they'd hooked up in real life.

Like many others have expressed, I think it was disgraceful the way the wrote her out of oltl...Gabrielle deserved better. I could never accept her getting married to Max 2.0. I would have loved for her & Max to reunite for one last scheme & run off to Argentina together! 

Does anyone know what Fiona is up to these days, project wise? I see she's abandoned social media back in 2012. I wish she got some Emmy recognition during her first run on oltl. Definitely one of daytime's most underrated actresses. 

• Love 2

Like many others have expressed, I think it was disgraceful the way the wrote her out of oltl

Which time? ;)

At least the first time, she had a really good final scene...even if it was with Max 2.0. And I have to admit, she and Max 2.0 did have some good chemistry at times, even if it wasn't as good as the original.

When they killed her off as part of that ridiculous serial killer storyline:( That's when I decided to stop watching the show. 

A few years ago, the actress who played her mother on oltl was on a British soap opera called Emmerdale. I think her character may have been killed off but at the time I thought it would be great for the writers to introduce a daughter for her & cast Fiona in the role!

(edited)
14 hours ago, spiraltribe said:

So I decided to watch some old oltl videos of Max & Gabrielle on YouTube, since they were my otp back in the day (& Fiona being my first girl crush). Man chemistry between the 2 of them were off the charts! My 10 year old self used to wonder if they'd hooked up in real life.

Like many others have expressed, I think it was disgraceful the way the wrote her out of oltl...Gabrielle deserved better. I could never accept her getting married to Max 2.0. I would have loved for her & Max to reunite for one last scheme & run off to Argentina together! 

Does anyone know what Fiona is up to these days, project wise? I see she's abandoned social media back in 2012. I wish she got some Emmy recognition during her first run on oltl. Definitely one of daytime's most underrated actresses. 

I think I just met my new best friend. :)

As far as I know, they never had an affair. Fiona even joked about that rumor once when it was brought up--I get the feeling she would have been a lot less cavalier about it had it actually happened (Lord knows James and Kassie still showed signs of discomfort when they were asked on The View's OLTL finale special about how THEY met, and they had been married for over a decade at that point!). I have heard her first husband was very abusive, though, which would explain how she fell for her current husband John so quickly once he joined the show.

I got the impression Fiona and John are still in upstate New York running a theater company together. I know their sons (Hutch and Trevor) are both grown men now. 

Edited by UYI
On 5/28/2017 at 6:01 PM, UYI said:

I know their sons (Hutch and Trevor) are both grown men now. 

Somehow, i just love the whole idea of two soap actors naming a child of theirs "Hutch" - such a soap opera character name!

• Love 1
(edited)
39 minutes ago, dwmckim said:

Somehow, i just love the whole idea of two soap actors naming a child of theirs "Hutch" - such a soap opera character name!

His full name is actually John Hutchison Viscardi--he was named after his father (John) and his mom by way of her maiden name. :)

"Hutch" was also Fiona's nickname given to her by the cast and crew of OLTL behind the scenes. 

Edited by UYI
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:19 AM, spiraltribe said:

A few years ago, the actress who played her mother on oltl was on a British soap opera called Emmerdale. I think her character may have been killed off but at the time I thought it would be great for the writers to introduce a daughter for her & cast Fiona in the role!

Interesting, I wasn't watching when Gabrielle's mom was on OLTL, but I have dipped in and out of "Emmerdale" over the years.  Do you remember who the actress played on that show?

• Love 1
(edited)

I've always wondered about Dorian's blatant favoritism of Kelly over Blair.  Was it due to her projections of her relationships with their mothers (Sonya manipulating Addie into hurting Dorian, and trying to get Dorian to hurt Melinda), the fact that Blair was generally better able to handle whatever crisis she was in than Kelly (and thus not needing her as much), or just the writers deciding that Blair's rival (Tea, Kelly, Marty, Evangeline) was more better and more deserving of support?

Edited by drtslim
  • Love 1
On 6/12/2017 at 9:10 PM, drtslim said:

I've always wondered about Dorian's blatant favoritism of Kelly over Blair.  Was it due to her projections of her relationships with their mothers (Sonya manipulating Addie into hurting Dorian, and trying to get Dorian to hurt Melinda), the fact that Blair was generally better able to handle whatever crisis she was in than Kelly (and thus not needing her as much), or just the writers deciding that Blair's rival (Tea, Kelly, Marty, Evangeline) was more better and more deserving of support?

I don't think Dorian held Addie's behavior against Blair, but I'd say it was a combination of all the rest of the factors you listed, plus the fact that, unlike Kelly - or her others girls, for that matter - Dorian first met Blair as an adult

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

"Even at a hundred dollars a shot, I still don't have a heart of gold!" Karen Wolek's confession on the witness stand rightly gets a lot of attention as one of the greatest moments in OLTL history, but here where she confesses to sister-in-law Viki is brilliant, too, even if it's less explosive. Judith Light is SO good. Actually, Viki is great throughout these scenes, too, both steely and compassionate. Also featuring: adorable baby Andrea Evans, charming scumbag Marco Dane, and just-plain-charming Joe Riley.

• Love 3

There is so much fail there, but describing the Tarty rapemance as "very sensitive" takes the fucking cake.

(How long before DAYS has a rapemance story? Six months?)

Off the top of my head, I can think of 5 better Carlivarti stories:

• Kish
  • Matthew's paralysis/Bo & Nora
  • Jared & Natalie/BE/Dorian's Hat
  • Brody & Jessica
  • Tale of Two Todds
  • If we want to include a GH story as a bonus: AJ's return
  • Love 4
(edited)

LOL. I wrote a (ridiculously OTT) column for SOC excoriating Tarty as vile rape when it aired. It got the most mail I ever got - mostly against the story and with a handful of really heartwrenching testimonials - and not long after I was told Frank and Ron were reading my inane bi-weekly ramblings. Between that and their apparent shadowing of us at TWoP I sometimes wonder if Ron had voodoo fetish dolls of some posters.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 7
(edited)
22 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

There is so much fail there, but describing the Tarty rapemance as "very sensitive" takes the fucking cake.

Off the top of my head, I can think of 5 better Carlivarti stories

Yeah, definitely not the world choice I would use.  And pfft, like anyone really thought they were killing Todd off when he jumped off that roof.

Leaving Kish out of it (I'm just too biased), I'd probably go with Jared/Natalie/Dorian's Hat.  Or maybe Viki's time in Paris, TX - I wasn't really watching then, and you could argue Ron fell too in love with all those characters, but it did seem to breathe new life into Viki.

ETA... and off-topic, choosing the Fluke storyline from GH was almost more idiotic, given we found out that Ron changed the story midstream because too many people guessed lol.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 3
(edited)

I'm basically repeating others in my choices but yeah, off the top of my head, Ron's best:

• Jared, Natalie and Buchanan Enterprises. The best story and pairing she ever had.
  • Viki and Charlie in Paris, TX/Marcie on the run. Still pretty flawless. I adored them.
  • Kish. Changed the game for American soaps and I was so proud of the show. Even the stuff that went 'too far' - the gay weddings with Dorian - was right IMO. It was time to be bold and go big. It was what OLTL did and it was prescient of the future.
  • Bo/Nora/Clint and Matthew's paralysis. They rebuilt that supercouple very well and very carefully, and made Clint a major power player again.
  • GH's "Water Crisis" in the fall of 2012. Self-contained, relatively simple and very well done with the whole canvas, not just the mob. Not the second coming of Claire Labine and Patrick Mulcahey, just solid classic GH adventure. AFAIC that story is almost singlehandedly responsible for saving the show from cancellation that year and it is to Ron and FV's credit despite many other poor choices.

Runners-up:

• Two Todds, if only for the last two months in July and August 2011 which are still full of bad chaff and stupid shit, like most of the story that was forced to plod along in dumb subplots til summer and then wrap superfast when Trevor St. John declined to re-sign. Still, few things compare to the reveal eps.
  • Again, like Two Todds, a choice with caveats: GH's Robin return in the fall of 2013. Went on too long and full of dumb camp and poor writing in so many places, but there is a lot of great drama throughout (Anna confronting Faison in Steinmauer, etc.) and later the actors sell the hell out of the reveal eps which deliver on long-awaited payoff for Robin and her family.
  • A.J.'s return on GH and feuding with Carly over Michael.
  • Charlie and Echo's affair, and Viki learning the truth.
  • Gigi/Rex/Adriana in '08. Sorry, I loved Gigi and Rex early on and I thought the fallout with bridezilla Adriana was great.
  • Brody and Jessica
Edited by jsbt
  • Love 3

Cord and Tina being reunited should be in there as a good story, too. Not Tina's return in 2008--although her seeing Cord again then was great, if heartbreaking--but the stuff in 2011, awkward disappearance after their wedding aside. 

I also liked Gigi/Rex in the beginning. I also began to really feel for Bitchy Bangs Adrianna for the first time. That story felt human and messy. I recall some problems - I never thought Rex got enough blowback from other characters and Gigi was way too snotty to Brody - but they didn't derail things. I even liked the time travel before it dragged on too long.

I liked Paris, Texas. I loved Viki and Charlie, even if he turned into a spineless simp later, and Moe and what's-her-name, the pretty girl - Noelle? - got annoying, but, again, that was later. I thought the way it dovetailed with Marcie on the Run was clever, although I seriously wanted to throttle Marcie by that time.

I also liked Carlivarti's debut story - Asa's Funeral, though maybe calling that a 'story' is too much, since it was two episodes. The returns were wonderful. What I wouldn't have given to have the funeral stretch on for full week or more, with various people interacting throughout the Buchanan Manse.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'll always be happy that Max came back one last time for Asa's funeral. Three episodes was better than nothing for me. It was also better than seeing Gabrielle chase Bo around in Heaven. Ugh. 

(Okay, Max creeping on Blair made me sick. Never mind, that was MUCH worse.) 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, jsbt said:

Bo/Nora/Clint and Matthew's paralysis. They rebuilt that supercouple very well and very carefully, and made Clint a major power player again.

Related to this - am I the only one who sometimes thought that Matthew should have stayed paralyzed?  You never really see a character with a disability on soaps (US ones, anyway) and I feel like OLTL, at one time, would have been the one to do it.  

• Love 2

That would have been a great story, and I think Eddie Alderson could have handled it. In some ways, though, I think the story was more about putting Nora and Bo back together than Matthew being paralyzed.

• Love 3
On 7/20/2017 at 9:56 PM, BBHN said:

The Rappadavidsons were one of the worst things to happen to this show.

As were their latter-day counterparts, the Fords.

As for good Ron Carlivarti stories, the Blair/Eli romance was lovely until he became history's greatest monster.

• Love 3

I too liked Lindsay for the most part.

What's almost worse about the Fords to me is that Rapey Ford Classic, Crybaby James, and Old Man Nate were basically the same character multiplied by three.  I will never forget seeing some promo picture of them all wearing the same style long-sleeve T-shirt in slightly different colors and having that revelation.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, TeeVee329 said:

I too liked Lindsay for the most part.

What's almost worse about the Fords to me is that Rapey Ford Classic, Crybaby James, and Old Man Nate were basically the same character multiplied by three.  I will never forget seeing some promo picture of them all wearing the same style long-sleeve T-shirt in slightly different colors and having that revelation.

Ah yes, The Three Faces of Sleaze.

14 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

And then we got Inezzzzzz, their über-depressive and depressing mother.

Didn't Show try to saddle Bo with her?  Man was she awful.  And then Daddy came to town...

30 minutes ago, boes said:

And then Daddy came to town...

I'll admit that I enjoyed Papa Ford, because he took such glee in torturing the rest of them. Granted, that was clearly intended by the writers to make us feel super sorry for Inezzzz and the boys, but that backfired. And John Wesley Shipp gave a fun, energetic performance. However, the stuff with holding Nora captive was unpleasant and I HATE that they made Matthew his murderer. Though that did lead to some great stuff with Nora, Bo, and Clint.

• Love 5

Yeah, Bo sort of rescued her and they dated for a bit. Ugh. Inezzzzz was so passive.

Bo and Inez never dated.  Inez had a crush on Bo, but dated Clint.  Clint blackmailed her into sleeping with Bo (she never did; she drugged him and told him that they slept together) in order to break up Bo and Nora as revenge for Bo "stealing" Nora away from him.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, drtslim said:

Bo and Inez never dated.  Inez had a crush on Bo, but dated Clint.  Clint blackmailed her into sleeping with Bo (she never did; she drugged him and told him that they slept together) in order to break up Bo and Nora as revenge for Bo "stealing" Nora away from him.

And let's not forget, what my man Clint blackmailed her over was trivial stuff like Ford's job - which he was rightfully fired from for hooking up with a student - and James' scholarship.  For that, she drugged the police commissioner, and suffered zero consequences!  HAAATE!

Also, does "stealing" need quotes?  I mean, Nora was Bo's lady first, but she married Clint and she did dump Clint for Bo.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

His sons were so terrible I was rooting for Papa Ford, definitely. Then they Eli'ed him, and he became the evulest evul who ever evuled. That never works.

I blocked some of the details but the horror of the Ford bros and their equally awful mamma just does not fade.  Chandelier will always be one of the most valuable supporting players EVER.

1 hour ago, Panopticon said:

But didn't this story give us the classic line "I have a hole in my heart the size of the moon?" There's something to be said for all the unintentional laughter that produced...

Hahahahaha!

Yup, that's amore.

• Love 1

Remember that last week, in Hell (oh, OLTL), when Papa Ford was all, "You belong here with me" and Ford was all, "I totes don't, I super changed when I became a dad" and I was all, "How about all the heinous stuff you did after that, like being mean to Viki and ASSAULTING A NUN!".

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, UYI said:

I'll defend the character of Lindsay, at least. I LOVED her. And hey, SHE wasn't a Rappaport by blood! LOL. 

Yeah, I did like Lindsay, even if they overdid her obsession with wanting to destroy Nora at times. But I did like her initial friendship with Dorian and her friendship with RJ.

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, BBHN said:

Yeah, I did like Lindsay, even if they overdid her obsession with wanting to destroy Nora at times. But I did like her initial friendship with Dorian and her friendship with RJ.

I wish I had been watching when she and RJ became a couple. Even if it was brief, I would have liked to have seen it. 

• Love 1

Also, does "stealing" need quotes?  I mean, Nora was Bo's lady first, but she married Clint and she did dump Clint for Bo.

I debated putting on the quotes; but decided to use them because Bo did not deliberately set out to seduce Nora away from Clint and hurt his brother.

• Love 1