Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
heatherchandler

S02.E05: Seeds of Doubt

35 minutes ago, RedBagWithMakeup said:

I would have had to quote too many of you, but suffice to say the fellow R-a-R purchasers at the grocery store and subsequent comments have me rolling.

We just need to get t-shirts, you guys. I think a picture of Danielle holding the Binder Of Shame and yelling would be classic, but really, any 90DF cast photos will do.

How about a t-shirt with "Rice a Roni, the 90 Day Fiance Treat" on it?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Suzywriter said:

Now I have to go get some Rice a Roni before the show tomorrow. I didn't know they still made it.

Rice a Roni is such a throw back for me from my childhood.  Flanksteak cut on the bias too.

I rewatched the dinner prep scene and I have to take Jesse's side and I cannot believe I am defeding Dutch Boy but Darcy did seem like she was nipping at his heels the whole time they were cooking.  The only thing that Jesse can change is his reaction to Darcy, he cannot change Darcironi.  

We see a pattern in Darcy, she pushes and pushes then when the other person explodes she cries (litteraly) that she is a victim and that screams passive aggressive.  Her crying and begging Jesse to love her loop may explain why her past relationships ended.  It is exhausting to watch, I cannot imagine what it is like for her girls to watch that sort of thing play out each time Darcy gets a new guy.

In other news, Darcy has what I think is a large number of leather apparel in her wardrobe and Jesse has way too many hair clips.

Why do these people think they love eachother?

• Like 11

On 9/5/2018 at 8:12 PM, champsdelavande said:

Why. 

image.png.d4ee75db93032cc3541a88a39c268973.png

You know, reading about Tarik's mesh shirt/tank top combo was so different than actually seeing it.

Is he auditioning to be in a Right Said Fred video?

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Like 11

15 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I rewatched the dinner prep scene and I have to take Jesse's side and I cannot believe I am defeding Dutch Boy but Darcy did seem like she was nipping at his heels the whole time they were cooking.  

And if Darcey is Ruth's Chris... why didn't she cook the steak and let Jesse crisp rice/vermicelli and add water?

• Like 9

On 9/5/2018 at 8:12 PM, champsdelavande said:

Why. 

image.png.d4ee75db93032cc3541a88a39c268973.png

I think the kids these days say "Da Fuq?"

My inner stylist says he should have worn a black tank.

Edited by Horrified · Reason: spelling error!
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, Drogo said:

And if Darcey is Ruth's Chris... why didn't she cook the steak and let Jesse crisp rice/vermicelli and add water?

Or put Jesse in charge of opening the clamshell package and putting the mixed greens on salad plates? "There, that's a good boy..."

• Like 6

90 Day Fiance  has been on for years and I never had an interest in watching until catching up on one of  my faves, Four Weddings. On every commercial break (and there are a  lot of breaks) were ads for all the other TLC shows, so I decided to try this one out. I'm not quite sure if  I'm glad I did, but these people do keep me intrigued...and kind of scared.

Darcy and Jesse: I think this is the couple is the oddest. I missed season one, so I'm not familiar with Darcy's reasoning for being soo hooked on Jesse that she flew to Amsterdam to meet him. However, from the footage they included to update us (from that season and a reunion show) I don't even see why they are still trying...other than for more camera time. Which they get plenty of because they fight and bicker in every segment they are in. Darcy's daughters  seem more mature than either adult, despite Jesse's claims that he is the more mature of the two. As for that "big" family steak dinner, shouldn't every member have gotten a whole steak, and been able to cut it themselves? Maybe that's just in my family....

Paul and Karine: Again, I didn't see their earlier season, so I don't know what prompted him to travel through the  jungle, over rivers, and climb hills  to meet her the first time. But I guess they must have  had such a great time together for him to do it all over again, and to this time marry her and bring her back to the U.S. Except that they don't look like that much like a happy couple right now...

Angela and Michael: I have to admit, it was their clips in the ad that got me to try this show. Showing Angela crossing that rope bridge sold me, as I was wondering did she have to cross one just to meet this guy. Kind of disappointing that it was just part of a tourist-y outing. All I will add to the commentary is,  if Michael does make to the U.S. with Angela he's up for a rude awakening about her life.

Rachel and Jon: Their chemistry is kind of cute. I'd like to see them succeed as a couple, but...  wow,   the details of his visa denial and criminal record.  Also, his family and friends aren't trying at all to convince her that he'd be great for her, or her kids.

Tarik and Hazel: This guy is so devoted,  so in love, he traveled around the world and I don't know how many time zones to meet  her. I don't blame his brother for all the questions. One thing though, I noticed Hazel was already terrified and dreading the meeting with Dean long before the actual confrontation. From back at their condo, she was scared and needed reassuring to even go. Then as they approached the restaurant, she was still reluctant  and hiding behind Tarik. Why all this terror at meeting your future in-law? Then to run away after? Tarik wasn't nearly as nervous  at meeting her parents or  attending their church service. And, finally...

Ricky: Not quite sure why he's even on this show. Oh, right,  to meet the love of his life, Melissa. Who  never wanted to meet him. Accept his gifts, yes, but see in person, no. Enter Ximena who was so agreeable  to meet, at his place, it made my head spin just watching the show. Looking forward to see if she'll continue to be so agreeable once she finds out she's his second choice.

By the way, reading this thread had me looking at the Rice-a-Roni section in the grocery store yesterday and I'm not even a big fan of it. Nor do I need any because there's some in my pantry! I like to make it every once in a while, but Pasta-Roni and Knorr (or is it Lipton?) Pasta Sides, are more my taste.

• Like 4

I think every living one of us stopped for a moment at the Rice-a-Roni section of the store this weekend,   I counted twelve (12) flavors (sorry, friend in Canada!), including Cilantro & Lime.  I'm betting that one wasn't available when we were in college.  

On show-topic .. at this point in the week it's tough to come up with something that hasn't been analyzed already, but maybe this:  I thought Tarik's brother Dean called, or texted, to say he was "in the bar downstairs", but then I was surprised that when they walked to meet him, they went along a long arcade past a lot of things, obviously not the lobby area of the hotel, and the place he was was obviously not a bar.  I just like to see some Continuity here.  We know the producers jiggle stuff around and we're used to it;  but that did jar me.   

That's about it for the next 26 hours ..  except, poor Ximena !  "He came to Colombia to see me.."  Hope he pays dearly for that. 

• Like 4

I think Dean meant he was in the bar downstairs of HIS hotel, Tarik and Hazel are staying in some kind of rental unit (conveniently with only one bed!)

Edited by magemaud

5 hours ago, magemaud said:

how about a red plaid fanny pack with the Lord's Prayer on it? 

They do make a wristlet to match Angela's rejected gift purse, how about it? image.thumb.png.c047cbd2f8631c478330ac938916ce30.png

Perfect for the club on Saturday and church service on Sunday morning ?Now you can transition from club ho to deaconess without switching handbags.  Versatility is the key.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Bees52 said:

Ricky: Not quite sure why he's even on this show. Oh, right,  to meet the love of his life, Melissa. Who  never wanted to meet him. Accept his gifts, yes, but see in person, no. Enter Ximena who was so agreeable  to meet, at his place, it made my head spin just watching the show. Looking forward to see if she'll continue to be so agreeable once she finds out she's his second choice.

I'm waiting for when he goes home after making such a huge deal about Melissa, and discussing an engagement with his daughter.  Does he think she won't notice a totally different woman?

2 hours ago, Gobi said:

How about a t-shirt with "Rice a Roni, the 90 Day Fiance Treat" on it?

What, no pharaoh tank?  Or is that only for fancy occasions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Horrified said:

I think the kids these days say "Da Fuq?"

My inner stylist says he should have word a black tank.

Something is seriously wrong when your response to any man’s wardrobe faux pas is he needed a black cami. 

Just a random thought about Jon the garbage gnome (thanks whoever came up with that).  He’s pretty pocket sized; I mean dude is short as hell.  He probably got picked on a lot when he was young, especially in a tough neighborhood with any level of crime or poverty because we all know hurting people hurt people.  He probably got into most of those fights  when he was younger, and became a bit of hothead as a result.  It would also explain why he bulked up his physique.  I don’t think 50-60 fights is anything to sneeze at, but it doesn’t necessarily make him a violent fool that flies off the cuff for any reason.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, the-grey-lady said:

You know, reading about Tarik's mesh shirt/tank top combo was so different than actually seeing it.

I could not for the life of me figure out what he had on. Is that a white wife-beater under a black net bag? It looked like illusion overalls to me.

• Like 4

On 9/3/2018 at 12:26 AM, trimthatfat said:

When one of the daughters hugged Darcey after the fight, I couldn’t help but think she’s probably had to comfort her mom many times over the years over guys.

I'm thinking it is not comforting her as much as siding with her so that she stays in Darcey's good graces.  Such emotionally unstable people can attack others who don't agree with them all the time.  

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

I'm thinking it is not comforting her as much as siding with her so that she stays in Darcey's good graces.  Such emotionally unstable people can attack others who don't agree with them all the time.  

Reminds me of Molly and her older daughter.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Jesse has way too many hair clips

I thought it was head band, and I was thinking I’ve never seen a guy wear a head band

Edited by Mainer
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Mainer said:

I thought it was head band, and I was thinking I’ve never seen a guy wear a head band

I thought it was one of these zig zag headbands.  I used to wear the first type.  Back in like 1998.  And I'm female.

And the only other guy I've seen wear a headband is Jeremy Roloff.  And that isn't helping Jesse's case.

image.png

image.png

Edited by Cementhead
  • Like 9

So I got up this morning and as is my custom, I looked through the local Met Foods flyer to see if anything I need is on sale: and what do you know? I'm thinking of buying a box of the Beef flavor and inviting @Drogo over for dinner.

rice.jpg

• Like 13

27 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

So I got up this morning and as is my custom, I looked through the local Met Foods flyer to see if anything I need is on sale: and what do you know? I'm thinking of buying a box of the Beef flavor and inviting @Drogo over for dinner.

rice.jpg

If it's 5 boxes for $5, you COULD invite the rest of us, too!!!  LOL.

• Like 11

On 9/6/2018 at 2:43 AM, HappyDancex2 said:

darcearoni would take her obviously placed logo sweatshirt conveniently tied around her waist and got off my screen.  Her kids deserve better.  Hell I deserve better.

Im kinda excited to see what monstrosity Tarik comes up with in the wardrobe department.  Just when I thought his Tut tank and hunter hat wasn’t ridiculous enough he really committed to something truly hideous and beyond comprehension.  It’s 2018, that takes some talent to shock IMO.  I’m holding out for some neon or feathers.  Yaaaassss!

LOL and LOL.  Just awesome comment.

• Like 1

I wonder if Tarik is putting us on with his frippery.  He is a realtor by trade and a rapper by avocation, and there are pictures out these showing him in business wear and business-casual. He must know the difference. Maybe he’s being outlandish to get noticed and/or launched into a comedy career. Every week I joyfully await his and Big Ang’s fashion moments.

I had Roni in the pantry, and heading out shortly for a piece of carrot cake. Next up on the list, elastic-waist pants. I feel deprived as the Canadians because I can only find Beef, Chicken, and Wild Rice in my local stores. However, I can be confident I’m getting all the basic food groups, except chocolate. The Chicken, for example, has 22 ingredients. Within the top 10, salt is #3, sugar is #4, autolyzed this and hydrolyzed that are #5 and #6, and MSG is #8.  Manufactured on shred equipment also used to process crack...I must admit I'm old enough to remember when the first RaR commercial came on on my parents' B & W TV with the dial controls. "Started out where cable cars play their song, now tried at home before very long..." 

Edited by Tuneful · Reason: Thanks a rot, want some Roni now
  • Like 4

I wish the quality of this was better, but it brought back memories. I've been to SF many times and never saw  such an empty cable car: 

• Like 5

I love all my 90DF Rice-A-Roni buddies! It's enough to bring tears to my eyes. My Four Cheese flavor is burning a hole in my cabinet, just vibrating with excitement in there.

I will be serving it with salmon, though, because omega 3s.

Editing to add that I will be cutting the salmon on the bias, of course! 

If I had anything made out if mesh, I would wear it, but alas, a tank top will have to do. A white one, natch.

Edited by RedBagWithMakeup
  • Like 4

I saw some single serve cakes at the grocery store, not a fan of carrot cake, whilst I was trying to make up my mind what to buy, my eyes wondered over to the Hostess rack where low and behold, Ding Dongs were on sale. Did you know that they now have white chocolate ones ?

• Like 1

I'm heading to Stop & Shop now to pick up my Rice a Roni ... which I HAVE NEVER HAD BEFORE IN MY LIFE. I can't wait to be bloated AND dehydrated from the salt and MSG. I might have to buy several boxes for a taste test. 

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I saw some single serve cakes at the grocery store, not a fan of carrot cake, whilst I was trying to make up my mind what to buy, my eyes wondered over to the Hostess rack where low and behold, Ding Dongs were on sale. Did you know that they now have white chocolate ones ?

Omg! I think we all need an intervention because this is sinking to terrifying lows of chemical laden crap, lol! 

Actually this would be an appropriate snack, since all the cast members are Ding Dongs.

• Like 8

Oh the things I do for internet strangers who are smart, funny, and like to snark on silly people, like I do.  I had a lovely meal planned, roasted chicken thighs and cacio e pepe, oh and green beans because vegetables matter.  Now that's shifted until tomorrow so I can instead eat some (tasty) salt rice and some cake.

At least I'm going with the microwave cup of my four cheese because I'm fancy, and I won't have to deal with leftovers.

• Like 4

I just couldn’t stop myself from my single serve chicken microwave cup of RR last evening. The salty deliciousness and the chemical aftertaste made me wonder why this doesn’t have its own level on the food pyramid. Now I’m just two clicks away from putting Twinkies on my shopping list. Carrot cake seems much too healthy.

REMINDER for anyone who has nothing better to do at 8pm Eastern. Bring your grey steaks (hacked on the bias, of course.....I worked in a restaurant, so....), your RR, and your non-alcoholic drink (as per Herr Jesse’s strict orders) and come on over to the hilarious live chat. No extra “likes” if you end up marching out just as the meal is served.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

and come on over to the hilarious live chat.

Ok, where am I going for the live chat? 

I have never been on any live chat site before and tonight is the start of Rosh Hashana but I would love to chat it up with all my PTV friends and the never ending stream of snark.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I just couldn’t stop myself from my single serve chicken microwave cup of RR last evening. The salty deliciousness and the chemical aftertaste made me wonder why this doesn’t have its own level on the food pyramid. Now I’m just two clicks away from putting Twinkies on my shopping list. Carrot cake seems much too healthy.

REMINDER for anyone who has nothing better to do at 8pm Eastern. Bring your grey steaks (hacked on the bias, of course.....I worked in a restaurant, so....), your RR, and your non-alcoholic drink (as per Herr Jesse’s strict orders) and come on over to the hilarious live chat. No extra “likes” if you end up marching out just as the meal is served.

Laughing.So.Hard!!

14 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Ok, where am I going for the live chat? 

I have never been on any live chat site before and tonight is the start of Rosh Hashana but I would love to chat it up with all my PTV friends and the never ending stream of snark.

It's the RiceARoni thread!

Do I get extra bang threads for going out in inclement hurricane weather to buy the Roni?  I settled on cheddar broccoli and it was $1.18 which is outrageous!!  LOL.  I also did not look at the ingredient list....something this spectacular doesn’t need to be made from whole food products.  I already made a big pot of soup so this will pair nicely.  I know this because I’ve gone to restaurants and can cut my soup on the bias y’all.

how do you pronounce ximena?

• Like 4

On 9/5/2018 at 10:53 PM, Kangatush said:

25 flavors my friends, not to mention the fine types of pastaroni.

http://www.ricearoni.com/products

Do you remember the old Rice-A-Roni commercials where the protagonists were always given a choice between potatoes and Rice-A-Roni  as a side dish? When I was in college, one of my housemates had never eaten it so he decided to make rice-a-roni for the very first time. He bought a box of Rice-A-Roni.... and a 10 lb bag of potatoes.  He had gotten it into his head that rice a Roni was made with potatoes by hearing that commercial for so many years but never really paying attention to it.  He was very surprised when he started to read the instructions on the box. 

I’m kind of surprised that Jesse and Darcy didn’t buy some potatoes to make their Rice-A-Roni, too.  Those two are as airheaded as my roommate was.

Edited by PityFree
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Do I get extra bang threads for going out in inclement hurricane weather to buy the Roni?  I settled on cheddar broccoli and it was $1.18 which is outrageous!!  LOL.  I also did not look at the ingredient list....something this spectacular doesn’t need to be made from whole food products.  I already made a big pot of soup so this will pair nicely.  I know this because I’ve gone to restaurants and can cut my soup on the bias y’all.

how do you pronounce ximena?

heh-me-nah  It wasn't until I got here that I learned it was spelled with an x.  I was listening to the episode instead of intently watching it, so I figured it was spelled with a j.

I'll give you weather credit.  And bonus points for cutting your soup on the bias.  That's too advanced for me.  I'm just happy when my soup is a nice grey.

• Like 4

On 9/8/2018 at 4:06 PM, the-grey-lady said:

It would have been so much better, imo, if he'd left off the wife-beater.  With his dark skin, the mesh would've been less noticeable, maybe even looking like a textured short-sleeve shirt.  And who wears undershirts in a tropical country?  Was Torgo afraid of catching a chill?

I was watching the apparently endless reruns of this episode just now and was struck by the specifics of Jon's story about his fighting.  His recounting of the most serious fight, the one that got him thrown out of university, has always struck me as shifty.  I listened closely to it tonight for the first time, and here's the gist:  He alone was fighting a group of guys who were making rude remarks about women.  These men "felt like they could say anything" about or to women because they were a crowd.  He ended up punching many, if not all, this crowd of opponents.  So he wasn't only fighting for the honor of ladies, he was fighting a crowd of men, seemingly all alone.  It's miraculous that he was able to inflict grievous bodily harm, what with the number of opponents he was facing.  You'd think some of that army would've pinned him down while the rest of them beat the shit out of him.  How on earth could this mass of pugilistic antagonists have allowed him to get in a blow that would ?blind? one of their own?

A story that requires this much justification tells me that it's not just a lie but such a lie that uncovering it would reveal that the truth is exactly the opposite story.  Leaving the ladies' honor out of it, it sounds to me as if Jon and his friends beat up either a single guy or a smaller group of guys, and Jon's bloodlust carried him into near-murderous realms.  And that he's damned lucky he didn't go to jail.

• Like 3

Getting to watch the scene again right now and Darcey is a grade A nag.  Jesse was right....she gets that look in her eyes and she has to do something for the camera that says "I am a good mom."

Also.

I just made the roni and they made it wrong.   You add the water ,bring it to a boil and then cover it ,lower to simmer for 15 minutes.  I didn't see her cover it....she kept stirring it like risotto.   Which is why when she plated it looked like a congealed mess of cream of wheat. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Quof said:

This Canadian can't find Rice a Roni anywhere.  Not a single box in my medium-large sized city.

Check out https://myforkinglife.com/copycat-rice-a-roni-2

I haven't tried it, but I imagine it will be good!

I forgot who said they were going to make Cacio e Pepe, but can I come? Yum! I actually had planned to make it Sunday, but got too lazy. Also forgot to make the Rice a Roni, lol.

• Like 1