Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E30: Head of Household #10; Nominations #10

Lamb18
  • Start Topic

On 9/3/2018 at 10:56 AM, green said:

And what you see as predictability I see as a the best season ever with my team clobbering the other team and I love every minute of it.  It is flying by way too fast for me.  It is "predictable" that Wile E. Coyote loses to the Roadrunner too.  That is a beautiful thing.  A very beautiful thing.

Cartoons really aren't a good comparison at all, most of them are made for children and they don't mind repetition as much.  And most of them are far from the real dilemmas that reality tv is about and are much more fantastical.  They aren't characters you are meant to care about as much.  Something like Roadrunner is much more abstracted from reality than anything on reality tv, an abstract design more about the mechanics of the action than anything else.  The characters, such are there are, are very one dimensional.

Obviously if those you like are steamrolling those who you don't like you'll be happy, that doesn't please others though, and most people need someone to root for on reality tv.  So a more evenly balanced situation is likely to satisfy more viewers.

Edited by amazingracefan
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, amazingracefan said:

Cartoons really aren't a good comparison at all, most of them are made for children and they don't mind repetition as much.  And most of them are far from the real dilemmas that reality tv is about and are much more fantastical.  They aren't characters you are meant to care about as much.  Something like Roadrunner is much more abstracted from reality than anything on reality tv, an abstract design more about the mechanics of the action than anything else.  The characters, such are there are, are very one dimensional.

Obviously if those you like are steamrolling those who you don't like you'll be happy, that doesn't please others though, and most people need someone to root for on reality tv.  So a more evenly balanced situation is likely to satisfy more viewers.

I seriously doubt that.  All the friends I know want our sports teams to steamroll our opponents.  Which, by the way, means your team is closer to being perfect.  And, by definition, someone to root for in that quest.  Perfection is something to strive for and though not achievable it is still the mountain top to want to reach.  The cartoons you put down are, like myths and legends and even superheros that are really big these day, closer to the soul of man than trash TV.  Thus the need to turn trash TV -- which is the thing that has NO real dilemmas either because it is a game too -- into something more mythic.

• Love 2

I'm already disappointed in this year's winner because everyone on L6 has irritated me, mostly with their DR & GBM comments.  I appreciate good game play, but - as contrary to the premise of BB as it may seem - I appreciate goodness & kindness even more.  Yes, deception is a necessary part of the game, so I don't mind lying and fake deal-making in the House.  But I feel the REAL person comes through in DRs & GBM, and that's where each member of L6 has lost me.  Arrogance & condescencion are completely off-putting for me.  There's no way I can root for anyone on L6 to win.  
I'm still interested, & don't find it boring.  It's like a train wreck, watching how low people will go to win.  Every year, I'm surprised - and every year I ask myself "why are you surprised?!?"  
I never rooted for Road Runner, either. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, green said:

I seriously doubt that.  All the friends I know want our sports teams to steamroll our opponents.  Which, by the way, means your team is closer to being perfect.

The cartoons you put down are closer to the soul of man than trash TV.  Thus the need to turn trash TV -- which is the thing that has NO real dilemmas either because it is a game too -- into something more mythic.

If it's your team of course you'll want them to steamroll.  The general audience won't like it as much.  It's true that the media does love a big champion and want to mythologize them, even if it means rather stupidly ignoring other important members of a team.  And that can be behind the marketing of sports.  But if things are too predictable and there aren't any real rivalries I don't think it helps a sport in the long run.

I don't believe that the best of reality tv is trash at all, I've been as moved watching some moments over the past 15 years as I have in watching the best films.

• Love 1
On 9/2/2018 at 9:15 PM, lookattheflowers said:

Wish TPTB would get a clue that this battle back shit is pretty much useless

Not to them. They get to stretch the season by a week. It also gives them a shot at putting a favored HG back in play (at least temporarily).

• Love 2
6 hours ago, amazingracefan said:

Cartoons really aren't a good comparison at all, most of them are made for children and they don't mind repetition as much. 

Oh, I dunno; FOUTTE/S654/Hive’s shitty gameplay all season has looked pretty fucking Looney Tunes to me.  ;>

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Oh, I dunno; FOUTTE/S654/Hive’s shitty gameplay all season has looked pretty fucking Looney Tunes to me.  ;>

Whenever I hear(read) FOUTTE/S654/Hive all I can think of is the closing soundtrack for The Benny Hill Show. "Naaaaaaaaaa...na na nanana na naa nanaaaa..."

• Love 4
6 hours ago, GeorgiaRai said:

But I feel the REAL person comes through in DRs & GBM, and that's where each member of L6 has lost me.  Arrogance & condescencion are completely off-putting for me. 

The real person might come through in the diary rooms, but so many times the diary rooms speeches are scripted and people are using fake voices and accents to recite their lines.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

The real person might come through in the diary rooms, but so many times the diary rooms speeches are scripted and people are using fake voices and accents to recite their lines.

I know that's a possibility, but I view the show "as shown" & don't dig much deeper than that.  All my comments and thoughts about these people are in the context of the BB game only; nothing to do with real life (i.e. "tv hate" not real hate!)

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Nashville said:

I watch a lot of reality tv and, normally when one side dominates, it can be boring. In this particular case though, I have found it endlessly entertaining to see how many different ways The Gang Who Can’t Shoot Straight can screw themselves over. Honestly, the Roadrunner/Coyote comparison actually describes this season perfectly. Except the coyote was smarter than everyone in FOUTTE.

I don’t think L6 has been mean at all in their DRs. I could be wrong, but I can’t recall a single DR where any of them attacked someone personally, or said something hurtful. It’s all been game talk.  As for gloating, how can they talk about the game without sounding like they’re gloating? It’s not their fault the other side sucks so much. I find that Tyler’s DRs in particular often have an undertone of disbelief. Like he can’t believe he won the Veto when he had pretty much accepted defeat or that he made it this far and never had to use his power app. 

Edited by Rachel RSL
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Between that and the Swaggy collection, the rest of the house guests could have shown up naked, and still have had plenty of clothes to wear.

I really want to hear JC whine when he gets put up for eviction, like he did when Sam was going to put him up for eviction.  Unfortunately, she chickened out when JC threw a hissyfit.

LOL, The Swaggy Collection.  Found only in the Has Been chain of stores.

• Love 6
On 9/3/2018 at 8:18 PM, ChiCricket said:

From what I found online,Tyler is 23 and Angela is 26, so only a 3 year difference. 

But I think Tyler does have more of a baby face and Angela has a more mature face.

lol Angela looks like she's been around the block a few times.  She is no 'dumb bunny'.  Tyler the lifeguard seems to have had too much sun but I surely can't fault his game.    Maybe he lied about the lifeguard and is a bowler?  I donno.

• Love 2

So we have Haleigh and Scottie both sitting on the block.  Tonights the POV.  Both are good players so that makes me wonder if one of them win and take themselves off will Tyler go after one of his own or play it safe with Sam or JC?

I think Haleigh could have been a great player if not for the houseguests she surrounded herself with.  So I'm pulling for her to take herself off the block and win HOH and go after Tyler and Brett or Angela again!

• Love 1