Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: The Plan is Simple. Win!

• Start Topic

Woot! In my home town. Saw all the chatter on FB when they filmed last April, good to see it finally showing now.  I may be rambling a bit; writing this out as I watch the episode.

They were lucky, they filmed in Officers Square just before they closed much of it off for renovations/wall repairs and stuff. 

I laugh a bit that they took a cab from Officers square to City Hall; hopefully the cabby told them to just run it. It's only 2-3 blocks, and Queen street is a 1 way street so getting back would be tricky. (though if you stay in the parking lots in behind you can go both ways without worrying about traffic direction). 

The blurred sign when Taylor tried to take the other cab was for Sun Life financial. But they left the Exit Reality add on the cab itself. Adam's cabby must have done a loop, since BMO would have been behind him. *thinks* Yeah that makes sense. They would turn down York then up King to get onto Waterloo Road or Regent to head out to Gagetown.  Yeah Waterloo Road/Lincoln Road out to Gagetown.

Loved the Chopper simulator, wish I could have done it. The physical task, no way in hell i could do that. 

Don't think I like having a faceoff this far into the season. Calling a cab out to Gagetown and back, they'd be waiting another 15+ minutes since Oromocto/Gagetown cab service ended around then. 

The Beaverbrook Art Gallery section was in the new extension I think; it just opened up a month or two before filming I think. From the ball court to the gallery is a few klicks away; and only 2-3 blocks from Officer's square where they started. Beautiful views of the Saint John River; it was only a few weeks after the spring flooding ended; at the time Officers Square would have been underwater. (They basically hit a narrow 2-3 week window between when Officers Square was underwater and when the square was being rebuilt). I really have to go into the Gallery sometime; been outside it lots of time (lots of PokeGo and Ingress stops around there) but never in. The Legislature is right across the street from it. 

Government house is a bit of a haul; 5km or so down the road but not hard to find. The cabbie literally keeps going down Queen to the end, then hangs a right onto Woodstock road, and you're there. They should probably have made that a foot race instead of a taxi race, though it would not have made a difference ultimately.  (The trail they were on leads there directly). Sad to see Martina and Phil eliminated. :( 

I would've liked to have seen a bit more of a mention than the "Dedicated to the People of Fredericton, New Brunswick" in honor of the recent events; but it was a nice touch. 

• Love 3

I'm sad to see Martina and Phil go.  She just had such a positive attitude all the time.  The basketball game was SO close.

I hope that Taylor and Courtney win.  They've been the strongest team, and they've been really supportive of each other.

• Love 7

So sad to see Phil and Martina go, they were one of my favs.  The one team, the couple, had to make it, grr.. I haven't been able to warm up to them all season, and I can't explain why, they've rubbed me the wrong way from day one.

Live about 3 hours from Fredericton, beautiful city. 

• Love 1

I hate the Face Off so much! I’ve always hated it and always will. It just always bugs me that the teams have to come to a screeching halt to wait for someone else. Plus, as a viewer, once you know there’s a Face Off coming up, it takes all the tension out of whatever task they’re currently doing. When the last two teams were battling to finish the helicopter task, it was just like: Who cares? We know whoever gets out of there first will just have to wait for the other team anyway.

So annoyed that Adam and Courtney made it to the finale. There’s just something about her, she just seems unpleasant. And I can’t warm to him either. I would have much preferrred to see Phil and Martina get in to the finale. She’s so cute! (And he reminds me so much of the guy who plays Oliver on How To Get Away With Murder.)

1 hour ago, Taeolas said:

I laugh a bit that they took a cab from Officers square to City Hall; hopefully the cabby told them to just run it. It's only 2-3 blocks

When they were in Toronto, Mellisa and Nancy took a cab literally one block. A very short block lol.

• Love 2

If anyone is curious, I used Google Maps to plot out all the locations and the order they went in. Officer's Square and City Hall are 1 block away. For the most part I would agree with the routing Google made to get from location to location. Other than the trip out to Gagetown, everything is within 5 minutes or so of everything else; even on foot they're only 10-15 minutes away from each location (Gagetown aside). 

*Edit* I wasn't sure at first but heard it confirmed this morning;  the greeter at the mat with John was the Fredericton Police Chief Leanne Fitch. She really handled herself well (and helped show the police force well) during the tragic events last month. 

Edited by Taeolas
  • Love 2

Sadly, Martina and Phil lost a lot of time trying to land the helicopter. I hoped they might be able to overtake Adam and Courtney at the art task, but Adam did better than I expected. I don't know why Courtney delegated the task to him. Does she assume that he is better at everything?

I enjoyed the art task but I would have liked captions on the wolastoqewiyik (?) language. We saw the answers but I wanted more.

• Love 3

No!  Not Martina and Phil!  They were my favourite team.  The other brother and sister team better win.

Honestly, I don’t hate any of the remaining teams but the couple...meh..like some of you have sad, I can’t seem to warm up to them.

what makes Martina and Phil heroes? I can’t remember.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

I hate the Face Off so much! I’ve always hated it and always will. It just always bugs me that the teams have to come to a screeching halt to wait for someone else. Plus, as a viewer, once you know there’s a Face Off coming up, it takes all the tension out of whatever task they’re currently doing. When the last two teams were battling to finish the helicopter task, it was just like: Who cares? We know whoever gets out of there first will just have to wait for the other team anyway.

I don't dislike the Face Off because it creates opportunities to change the order of the teams. And if it's not the last task there is still a chance for teams to make up time and pull ahead. I'm not sure if final four is too small a group though -- on the one hand the furthest you can fall is from 1st to 4th but on the other every position is close to the bottom. But as long as the task is one where the players are more likely to get better with experience (rather than just more exhausted) I don't think it does void the tension since the order of arrival still carries some advantage and affects who their opponent is, which can make a difference. In this case I guess there was no shake-up in the order but it wasn't always the team I expected to win that won and most of the matches were close, so it was interesting to watch even if I wasn't happy that Martina and Phil stayed last.

One of the nice things about not hating any teams is that I get to come to terms with the elimination based on how people raced more than whether I just want them gone. Dylan and Kwame made mistakes in previous legs that I thought would get them eliminated sooner but they did well on this leg and deserved to stay in. Taylor and Courtney have won so many legs I am afraid it doesn't augur well for the finale -- the front-runners have rarely if ever won TAR Canada (in fact haven't there been two teams that won despite being saved by non-elims twice?).

• Love 1

I think Dylan and Kwame are getting stronger as they go.  They are learning "the race" and they are doing better at tasks.  Courtney and Taylor have been strong throughout and I wouldn't mind them winning, except it would be the predictable one, so maybe not quite as exciting for me.  Courtney and Adam could have been a stronger team, but they don't seem to do well under pressure.  This sounds weird, considering their occupations, but I think that the difference is at work, there is a certain protocol and the emergencies are more expected (there are different kinds of fires, for example, but they are all fires).  When Courtney and Adam hit a task they are unsure of, they psych themselves out and make stupid little mistakes, like Adam doing the painting task in English the first time.  I think his recovery from that mistake was better than it would have been earlier in the race, so maybe if it went on a bit longer, we would see them get stronger in the way the Dylan and Kwame did.

So I guess from all that, I think it's anybody's game, although I would rate the Courtney Adam team to be a slight underdog.  (And I'm concerned that they felt confident about going to Banff, as overconfidence has also been an issue for them, such as the camping set-up tasks earlier in the season.)

• Love 1

Adding to the Martina/Phil mourning - loved them. His fear that he let her down made me a little weepy. Now there's only one team I like in the finale [Taylor/Courtney] and I don't like those odds.

Dylan and Kwame seem to be getting a heavy hero edit in the last two eps which makes me nervous.

• Love 1

Glad to see Martina out; she irritated the living snot out of me. Liked Phil though so that was disappointing. I hope Taylor and Courtney win, though I would be fine with Kwame and Dylan. Just not Adam and Courtney!

• Love 1