Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: The Big Sleep

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

I cannot recall the last time that I saw this family sit down and eat dinner together. Usually Marty is cooking breakfast or they are passing of feeding duties at breakfast. 

I wonder how the cartel feels about Marty always meeting the FBI guy in the diner. 

wow so. ok so no one's got anything to say?

this show is the inverse of the american dream. or it's the fricking. it's the fricking.

it's how dangerous the american dream really is.

there are no heroes only villains when it comes to ruthless ambition.

• Love 8

The parents, especially Wendy, are adamantly, irrationally opposed to Charlotte's emancipation?? You have got to be kidding me. They should thoroughly understand that staying with them subjects her to criminal conduct and they should be sympathetic to her wishes. What a couple of loons! Probably they are seen as the heroes of the show and people are rooting for them, but really, what a couple of lowlifes.

• Love 8

I know Darlene is an idiot, but that was stupid even for her. Yeah, mess around and mouth off to people, but you don't mess with the product. 

I'm not entirely sure what the endgame is in Ruth stealing Marty's money. So the cartel kills the Byrds, but it's not like they're going to go away. They're going to dreg the Ozarks for it, and it's not like they know how to clean it. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 6
On 9/2/2018 at 3:14 PM, Pat Hoolihan said:

The parents, especially Wendy, are adamantly, irrationally opposed to Charlotte's emancipation??

What parents wouldn't be? I don't doubt she's having problems about their situation and wants out, but 1 - she has no concept of economics and 2 - she's putting herself at a huge risk. The FBI will scoop her right up. 

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, ganesh said:

What parents wouldn't be? I don't doubt she's having problems about their situation and wants out, but 1 - she has no concept of economics and 2 - she's putting herself at a huge risk. The FBI will scoop her right up. 

These kids were in more danger with their parents than away. Good God, look at what's happened to them. Marty and Wendy should have realized good parents don't put their kids in such situations and seen the emancipation as a handy partial step toward solving that problem.

Edited by Pat Hoolihan
  • Love 2

As they correctly pointed out, she knows too much, and she stole cartel money. I don't find their opposition to be unreasonable and if they were suddenly willing to entertain it, I would find that really ooc.

• Love 4

In the age of binge watching, I know it's difficult sometimes to keep straight what happened on which episode, especially when watching a bunch of them over a short course of time. With that in mind, please be careful to only discuss the current (and/or former, if it relates) episode in each episode thread so as not to spoil other posters who haven't seen future episodes. Thanks! Please PM me with any questions.

On 9/2/2018 at 2:14 PM, Pat Hoolihan said:

The parents, especially Wendy, are adamantly, irrationally opposed to Charlotte's emancipation?? You have got to be kidding me. 

Along with the reasons the others have pointed out, it occurs to me that If Charlotte is no longer under Marty & Wendy's protection as their child, then the FBI can use her as a witness against them.  Charlotte has consistently shown remarkably bad judgement (not unusual for someone her age), including this newest demand.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Snewtsie said:

Along with the reasons the others have pointed out, it occurs to me that If Charlotte is no longer under Marty & Wendy's protection as their child, then the FBI can use her as a witness against them.  Charlotte has consistently shown remarkably bad judgement (not unusual for someone her age), including this newest demand.

Also why should they allow her to be emancipated?  It’s not like she is angry at her parents for being criminals.  She is angry at them for lying to her about what they do as criminals.  It’s not like she wants to move to another state an be a law abiding citizen.  She wants to follow her boyfriend to college and move in with him.  This is teenage crap.  She just has a justifiable excuse to get away with it.

• Love 8
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:25 PM, Pat Hoolihan said:

Marty and Wendy should have realized good parents don't put their kids in such situations and seen the emancipation as a handy partial step toward solving that problem.

So living on her own as a theoretically fifteen year old girl with no high school diploma solves the problem? If the FBI didn't scoop her up, or the cartel, where exactly will she go? Oh right, Ruth always needs new girls at the tittie bar.

*I say theoretically fifteen because she looks as old or older than the actress playing Ruth

• Love 7

I don't get why the writers decided to use emancipation as a plot point.  Most teens just emancipate themselves.  I get that they can't sign contracts so life may be a bit more difficult for them (renting an apartment, buying a car, etc.), but it's not that hard to get those things done. 

Very disappointed Ruth's father showed his true colors.  After last week (?), I was hoping that he'd appreciate her.  It sure didn't last. 

• Love 1

Darlene is full-out crazy. From earlier episode, Marty said it best, "Where's Jacob, I want to talk to the sane one." Most, if not all, their problems can be traced back to her killing the cartel Lt Del. Her continued rashness finally caught up to them. And, this woman wanted a baby?!!?  Not sure why the Snells never had kids of their own, but fate probably made the right choice.

Petty may hate the Byrdes but he is counting on their "goodness" not to wallow in the mud to get things done. Petty is his own worst enemy, due to his own skeletons, and making this investigation personal. How is going to explain the loss of his CI?  Won't be long before he's removed from the case and/or the FBI.

Don't sleep on Wendy. She is very efficient and ruthless at getting things done.  Marty is lucky to have her.  Without her, Marty would be dead already.

I'm over Charlotte.  I know I should cut her some slack, since she's in a situation not of her making.  Just tired of seeing her act like a brat.  From the beginning, she's been written as a cliche, angsty, teenage girl.  "I don't want to move from my friends. I hate it here", etc, etc.  Not fun to watch AT ALL.  Now Jonah is cold and calculating like Wendy.  Charlotte needs to take lessons from her younger brother.

Edited by PsychoDrone
  • Love 6
On 9/14/2018 at 9:28 PM, AuntiePam said:

I don't get why the writers decided to use emancipation as a plot point.  Most teens just emancipate themselves.  I get that they can't sign contracts so life may be a bit more difficult for them (renting an apartment, buying a car, etc.), but it's not that hard to get those things done. 

Very disappointed Ruth's father showed his true colors.  After last week (?), I was hoping that he'd appreciate her.  It sure didn't last. 

Cade will never be anything other than scum.  He preaches that to Ruth and his nephews.  Langhornes never read book or go to college.  They steal and try to avoid getting caught.

• Love 3

Rewatching Season 2 in anticipation for Season 3. 

Ganesh said "I'm not entirely sure what the endgame is in Ruth stealing Marty's money."

Ruth is doing it to gain her father's pride and love, which she desperately craves and has never had.

Can't stand Charlotte.  I think that's due to horrible casting.  If you need a 15 year old girl, cast one that looks 15.  It would be more believable if she and Wyatt were both seniors, then maybe I could accept it.  Takes me out of the scene every time she's on.

• Love 3

Bring a surveillance tape of a FBI's family member, Marty has a different kind of courage. Agent Petty watching it looked like Marty watching his wife during her affair.

• Love 1