Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: Getting the DCC Look

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

I’m rewatching season 3, and just watched the first episode. What a powerhouse of girls that year, who would go on to cheer for a long time.. Whitney I, Kaitlin I, Kelsi R, Crystal Trevino, Sydney, Melissa Kellerman, and then faves like Amy Reese, Sunni Cranfill, Alyssa Sarasani. Golden age of DCC. 

• Love 7
On 9/1/2018 at 8:14 PM, EricaShadows said:

If there's truly a nutritionist at the Star (and if that person is available to the girls), the girls should really be taking advantage of that, but it doesn't seem that they do.  

Maybe they saw that

past season when a nutritionist brought in by Kelli warned the girls about the dangers of how drinking soda can give you cellulite!

18 minutes ago, Pink-n-Green said:

Maybe they saw that

past season when a nutritionist brought in by Kelli warned the girls about the dangers of how drinking soda can give you cellulite!

that made me both laugh and get ucontrollably angry. such misinformation is ridiculous and teaching it like its fact...nope, mostly just uncontrollably angry! as much a nutritionalist as gwyneth paltrow

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PrincessLeia said:

I’m rewatching season 3, and just watched the first episode. What a powerhouse of girls that year, who would go on to cheer for a long time.. Whitney I, Kaitlin I, Kelsi R, Crystal Trevino, Sydney, Melissa Kellerman, and then faves like Amy Reese, Sunni Cranfill, Alyssa Sarasani. Golden age of DCC. 

That was a very strong rookie class that year.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, PrincessLeia said:

We must be about the same age.... I’ll never forget watching Bonaly attempt that quad and loved seeing her do the back flip at the figure skating exhibition at the end of the Olympics. 

Ooh ooh ooh me too - raises hand like Arnold Horshack:)

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ATLGirl said:

I would love to hear Erin's story as well! Last year, the fact that she kept falling stunned me. I had not seen anything like this from a TCC before. Whatever she did over the last year, it worked because she's so much better now.

Is she better now?  I'd love to know.  But they never show her! 

Totally random but seeing as we're coming up to a first cut (i think from the previews but I could be getting mixed up) and seeing a couple repeat TCC this year, but does anyone get strangely attached to TCC that get cut but that don't try out again? I loved Taylor Nicole (truck taylor) from a few years back, i thought she was gorgeous, she had a fun personality with a little edge and with just a little more help could have been a strong addition, and I still follow her on insta, but I'd always hoped she'd try out again but she never did.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

Totally random but seeing as we're coming up to a first cut (i think from the previews but I could be getting mixed up) and seeing a couple repeat TCC this year, but does anyone get strangely attached to TCC that get cut but that don't try out again? I loved Taylor Nicole (truck taylor) from a few years back, i thought she was gorgeous, she had a fun personality with a little edge and with just a little more help could have been a strong addition, and I still follow her on insta, but I'd always hoped she'd try out again but she never did.

I liked her, too. She was so powerful. The only thing that bothered me was after she was cut she said “Nobody’s dream should be crushed.” I was kind of like...really? Not a very realistic viewpoint. Her kicks were bad and never got better. I think she knew that wasn’t going to change so it wasn’t worth auditioning again. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, ATLGirl said:

I liked her, too. She was so powerful. The only thing that bothered me was after she was cut she said “Nobody’s dream should be crushed.” I was kind of like...really? Not a very realistic viewpoint. Her kicks were bad and never got better. I think she knew that wasn’t going to change so it wasn’t worth auditioning again. 

weird thing is, its three years later, and I still use her lower kicks as a benchmark and there have been a number of girls last couple years with kicks lower than Taylors that got into TC and got pretty damn far into it before being cut or even made the team, and I remember thinking last year, damn if Taylor had tried out this year instead of 2015 (?? i think) she'd havve had a decent shot at making it given last years talent level was really all over the place and it just didn't improve much over the season!
I didn't find it that strange or unrealistic a thing to say, its a pretty normal thing. yes is it unrealistic in the greater scheme of things? yes of course, but is it something we've all probably said something similar to? yes.  anyone who has said 'oh, XYZ shouldn't happen' or 'it's not fair' when it happens every day to good people and nothing is fair, could be accused of similar, its just a way of expressing your disappointment. we'd probably all like to live in a world where your dreams weren't crushed, where things were fair and people got what they went after, but we don't. However, right after it's happened (especially when being prompted and likely fed lines by producers), we don't have to be sensible and realistic and grown up about it, we get to be sad and upset and unrealistic, we get to say 'this shouldn't happen' and then tomorrow, stiffen the upper lip, stand up straight and start again.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

weird thing is, its three years later, and I still use her lower kicks as a benchmark and there have been a number of girls last couple years with kicks lower than Taylors that got into TC and got pretty damn far into it before being cut or even made the team, and I remember thinking last year, damn if Taylor had tried out this year instead of 2015 (?? i think) she'd havve had a decent shot at making it given last years talent level was really all over the place and it just didn't improve much over the season!
I didn't find it that strange or unrealistic a thing to say, its a pretty normal thing. yes is it unrealistic in the greater scheme of things? yes of course, but is it something we've all probably said something similar to? yes.  anyone who has said 'oh, XYZ shouldn't happen' or 'it's not fair' when it happens every day to good people and nothing is fair, could be accused of similar, its just a way of expressing your disappointment. we'd probably all like to live in a world where your dreams weren't crushed, where things were fair and people got what they went after, but we don't. However, right after it's happened (especially when being prompted and likely fed lines by producers), we don't have to be sensible and realistic and grown up about it, we get to be sad and upset and unrealistic, we get to say 'this shouldn't happen' and then tomorrow, stiffen the upper lip, stand up straight and start again.

Had she been trying out last year, considering the drama, I think she might have made it because of her power and showmanship. Plus she had a nice maturity about her some of the younger ones did not have. So the kicks might have not been such a big deal. If memory serves, there was a ton of talent that year. Those last few cuts were hard.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Stan39 said:

I actually think CMT is trying to edit it that she’s a good dancer. They’re BARELY showing her dance, probably because she’s all over the place, and keep using other people’s comments about her to show her off. In Kitty’s studio all we saw was Kitty hugging her. CMT has a close relationship to Kelli and the Cowboys. I doubt they want to film things to make them look stupid. I think Kelli and Judi really are delusional and CMT is doing the best with what they have. They keep showing the mom, I think they want us to believe she really has a chance and is America’s sweetheart. 

The same exact thing happened with Cassie. That wasn’t CMT trying to make Cassie look bad, that was the viewer watching with their own eyes and realizing the BS and nepotism that was going on. 

I think Judy is being deliberately very quiet about her comments on VK.  I think she knew she was coming to training camp no matter what she did.  It’s Kelly and Charlotte and some of the other judges (Brenda) that can’t seem to see past their bias. 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Paul Healy said:

First post hi to all What's everyone thought's on Gina? She is my favourite out of all the current DCC now

She's a fantastic dancer, definitely one of the top dancers on the team (not THE top but she is top 5 in my opinion).  The only thing I don't care for....her squinty eyes.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, VintageJ said:

I think Judy is being deliberately very quiet about her comments on VK.  I think she knew she was coming to training camp no matter what she did.  It’s Kelly and Charlotte and some of the other judges (Brenda) that can’t seem to see past their bias. 

Does anybody know why they’re so over-the-top for Victoria? How close is everyone to her mom, Tina? Shelly and Judi both work for DCC and neither Dayton or Cassie got THIS level of a reaction. I’ve never seen Charlotte so animated about anything before, and she and Brenda both gave that poor weatherman death stares for speaking the truth. Is Tina related to the Jones’ in some way? Maybe she married into the family? 

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

Does anybody know why they’re so over-the-top for Victoria? How close is everyone to her mom, Tina? Shelly and Judi both work for DCC and neither Dayton or Cassie got THIS level of a reaction. I’ve never seen Charlotte so animated about anything before, and she and Brenda both gave that poor weatherman death stares for speaking the truth. Is Tina related to the Jones’ in some way? Maybe she married into the family? 

I don't have a clue.  I can only guess that it's because of her mom's friendship with Kelli and that at least Charlotte and Brenda MAY have watched Victoria grow up.  That doesn't explain how over-the-top they are in their reactions.  However, and this is just my opinion, I wouldn't be surprised if part of it was that, once they saw the other girls who showed up to audition, that Victoria couldn't compete at that level in terms of looks or talent, but they wanted her to make it SO badly that they did everything they could to make sure she got in regardless.  I don't know why they didn't give her the stern warning they've given other girls who've had weight issues or even barely touched on the other issues she's had (including her dancing and that we've seen her not only crowding other dancers, but her attempts to be front and center even if that's not her "assigned" place in the formation).

• Love 1
18 hours ago, rose711 said:

I got used to reading edits from watching Survivor. The way I’m reading VKs edit is the editors are showing her negatively in a number of ways. The fact that other judges are shown being overly impressed compared to what is clearly shown in the screen also makes the judges and Kelli look bad. 

Let me explain it like this - they could easily have not shown any judge being negative or giving her maybes, not shown her dancing into another’s space, falling out of her turns, interrupting Kelly or talking about her home studio. Not to mention starting off the season showing her weight issues- which I thought was an issue the show shouldn’t have put on an 18 year old training camp candidate.

I’m not going to go into detail about edits. I’m just saying that many of the clips of her are not at all flattering or positive. 

I am a huge Survivor fan too and almost wrote a post about VK’s edit before too ? (hello lots of hours of RHAP and reading edgic). They are doing a long slow reveal for her and seem to be showing positive stuff but if you look at the overall picture, her edit is negative in a subtle way and I have the feeling we will continue to see the negative more over the season. But they are giving her a more well rounded edit than most of the girls get. 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, LadyMsJay said:

It was then that she realized wearing a weave would be better for her hair while being a DCC

I can see why she'd make that choice. It's like Troian Bellisario wearing a wig for one of the seasons of Pretty Little Liars because her hair couldn't handle thee damage from all ths styling the studio wanted for her hair to achieve the look they wanted (she's mixed race and her hair is naturally quite curly and prone to frizz while Spencer was meant to have a very sleek, processed look and it was damaging her hair so to protect it she wore a wig.  I can see jackie choosing to do similar - the DCC look tends to be achieved via a lot of styling, a lot of product and heat damage and for afro-caribbean hair I can see that being even more damaging.  best to do her best to protect it as much as possible and achieve the desired look a different way.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CaseyRe said:

I can see why she'd make that choice. It's like Troian Bellisario wearing a wig for one of the seasons of Pretty Little Liars because her hair couldn't handle thee damage from all ths styling the studio wanted for her hair to achieve the look they wanted (she's mixed race and her hair is naturally quite curly and prone to frizz while Spencer was meant to have a very sleek, processed look and it was damaging her hair so to protect it she wore a wig.  I can see jackie choosing to do similar - the DCC look tends to be achieved via a lot of styling, a lot of product and heat damage and for afro-caribbean hair I can see that being even more damaging.  best to do her best to protect it as much as possible and achieve the desired look a different way.

Yeah that's what most of the AA girls do on the team anyway. Especially because they don't/can't wash their hair everyday like most of the other girls.

• Love 4

Do you guys think that they shouldn’t take girls who have tight kicks if they are otherwise good? It seems that kicks are often the deciding reason someone gets cut at the end even if they’ve been shown to have bad kicks at auditions.

i don’t remember if anyone had bad kicks this episode. The rookies all seem strong. I guess next week (tonight) is the kickline.

At the same time, having great kicks didn’t save the girl from Kansas City that was too stiff. She was one of the last cuts. I think it was her field performance on the entrance that got her cut. 

Edited by rose711
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, rose711 said:

Do you guys think that they shouldn’t take girls who have tight kicks if they are otherwise good? It seems that kicks are often the deciding reason someone gets cut at the end even if they’ve been shown to have bad kicks at auditions.

i don’t remember if anyone had bad kicks this episode. The rookies all seem strong. I guess next week (tonight) is the kickline.

At the same time, having great kicks didn’t save the girl from Kansas City that was too stiff. She was one of the last cuts. I think it was her field performance on the entrance that got her cut. 

Honestly? Yes, she should be cut.  The kickline is the DCC signature move.  its their most recognisable and famous feature of their performances.  I am likely in the minority of finding Thunderstruck to be extremely boring, both in song terms and dance. I have never felt the dance necessarily suits the song and thhe song is just sooo blah to me, but that kickline, that's pure performance, pure showmanship and if a girl can't do it, she's not much use to the team.  You can't have someone looking super out of place among the others, she could potentially hurt one or more of the other girls by pulling on their shoulders when trying to force her kicks higher and its not like she could just stand to he side at the end of the routine and let 35 line up for the kickline.  There is also really a limit to the amount of progress you'll make stretching wise in the time limit of the TC. yes, you can improve the flexibility somewhat, but these girls by this point are going to be damned flexible anyway and if they can't get the kicks before audition, chances are they won't in the few weeks of TC. they'll improve, sure, but rarely enough and if you try and force it you're looking at injury.

Judy, especially, is very keen on good clean kicks, understandably, and she knows the limit to the amount a girl can improve.  she also knows how sloppy it looks when a girl can't kick to he level of the others. it boils down to this - yeah. this girl is probably good in other areas, a strong performer, but there are hundreds of girls behind her that can do that too, and many of them will manage the kickline.

being a good performer isn't enough if kicks are bad.  having good kicks isn't enough if the rest is bad.  you HAVE to be the well-rounded consumate dancer.  you have to be, to borrow the phrase most often spouted ad nauseum, world class.  to that end, I don' know why they don't do a kick audition BEFORE everyting else.  not necessarily the kickline drill of auditions but have the girls do a handful of kicks during the free dance portion, make it mandatory, and if she can't do it, no point going through the rest of the process, jut cut and move on. 

sounds heartless, I know

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

Honestly? Yes, she should be cut.  The kickline is the DCC signature move.  its their most recognisable and famous feature of their performances.  I am likely in the minority of finding Thunderstruck to be extremely boring, both in song terms and dance. I have never felt the dance necessarily suits the song and thhe song is just sooo blah to me, but that kickline, that's pure performance, pure showmanship and if a girl can't do it, she's not much use to the team.  You can't have someone looking super out of place among the others, she could potentially hurt one or more of the other girls by pulling on their shoulders when trying to force her kicks higher and its not like she could just stand to he side at the end of the routine and let 35 line up for the kickline.  There is also really a limit to the amount of progress you'll make stretching wise in the time limit of the TC. yes, you can improve the flexibility somewhat, but these girls by this point are going to be damned flexible anyway and if they can't get the kicks before audition, chances are they won't in the few weeks of TC. they'll improve, sure, but rarely enough and if you try and force it you're looking at injury.

Judy, especially, is very keen on good clean kicks, understandably, and she knows the limit to the amount a girl can improve.  she also knows how sloppy it looks when a girl can't kick to he level of the others. it boils down to this - yeah. this girl is probably good in other areas, a strong performer, but there are hundreds of girls behind her that can do that too, and many of them will manage the kickline.

being a good performer isn't enough if kicks are bad.  having good kicks isn't enough if the rest is bad.  you HAVE to be the well-rounded consumate dancer.  you have to be, to borrow the phrase most often spouted ad nauseum, world class.  to that end, I don' know why they don't do a kick audition BEFORE everyting else.  not necessarily the kickline drill of auditions but have the girls do a handful of kicks during the free dance portion, make it mandatory, and if she can't do it, no point going through the rest of the process, jut cut and move on. 

sounds heartless, I know

Yeah I understand how Important it is and I think it’s the most objective measure they have or one of them anyway. I just wonder why they take girls that don’t have kicks into training camp. Maybe they need to see how everyone does?

• Love 1
Just now, rose711 said:

Yeah I understand how Important it is and I think it’s the most objective measure they have or one of them anyway. I just wonder why they take girls that don’t have kicks into training camp. Maybe they need to see how everyone does?

it frustrates me so much when they take girls that obviously cannot kick or have no hope in hell of getting their kicks high enough in the time. some are just faintly too low and actually have a fair chance of developing enough between weights and stretching to get it where it needs to get, but others....no hope in hell and sometimes you can see Judy's frustration that she is being stuck with a girl that has no hope.

now as to why they get taken?  the cynical part of me says its for drama so that they have someone to repeatedly call to office and have weepy talks with on tv. its a pretty common, practically yearly theme, the girl(s) that can't get their kicks where it's needed. 
the non-cynical part of me thinks maybe they really love a girl in terms of looks and power etc, and are mildly deluded that she can get the kicks in line in time OR to check her out this year, give her a trial run, see if maybe next year with a year of work on kicks etc, that she could be a good addition and by giving her the chance to come to TC, they're a)able to check her out and b)give her a taste of what she wants so that she's even hungrier for it after being cut, she'll work insanely hard over the year and come back the next year more prepared and likely to make the team

• Love 3

Loved having the alimni back! I'm so glad to see the former DCC they chose for rehearsal and the where are they now segments. Jacie and Nicole in one room and one episode? Hell, yeah. Can't wait to see who else comes up on the alumni segments and I'm looking forward to Michelle Keys next episode. 

My most interesting surprise from this episode for me is that now I'm a Caroline fan. I had noticed her dancing on the edge of frames in previous episodes and thought she looked powerful. I loved her makeover and expect that with more DCC glam training on hair and makeup that she will look prettier and prettier as time goes by. I had to watch carefully for her in the dance studio, but she looks like a very strong performer and she's become one of my favorite TCCs to watch for now. I really hope we get some focus on her, as well as Bridget. 

Another surprise for me is how much I liked Rachel this episode, I guess because I have a certain idea of pageant girls seeming fake (like the Minchew sisters). But I realize that a number of DCC I've really liked have been pageant girls (like Sydney and KaShara), so maybe I need to adjust my notions of pageant people. Toddlers & Tiaras definitely has something to do with my perception of that world, so shame on me for being so swayed by "reality" TV. I already thought Rachel was beautiful and a lovely dancer, but she impressed me with her office visit and camera talking head moments so far. What a contrast between Rachel and VK in terms of how they each acted while talking to the camera before their office visits with Kelli. One was so composed, mature, and really open to criticism, and the other was all over the place, laughing, tearful, fidgeting, and not listening to the feedback. Ugh. VK, just shut up and listen when your elders are talking to you! I am glad they told her so directly she wasn't performing at the top 36 and the alumni weren't impressed with her. But she didn't really listen: You need to tone up--Yes, I know--You need to improve your--Which vet should I work with? Just. Listen. To. What. They. Are. Saying. Interesting that VK said she didn't get any comments during the actual rehearsal. I wonder if she was just blending and getting outperformed, or if the alumni didn't want to give open critiques in front of Kelli. I wish they hadn't edited out who else's names Kelli said when running down the roster of which rookies didn't get an "outstanding" rating from the alumni during that rehearsal. 

Spoiler

I seriously am so relieved to know VK got cut or I might otherwise be losing my mind watching these episodes. I may be petty AF, but I can't wait to see her get her comeuppance.

Can't wait for the next episode! 

Edited by M1977G
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, M1977G said:

Loved having the alimni back! I'm so glad to see the former DCC they chose for rehearsal and the where are they now segments. Jacie and Nicole in one room and one episode? Hell, yeah. Can't wait to see who else comes up on the alumni segments and I'm looking forward to Michelle Keys next episode. 

My most interesting surprise from this episode for me is that now I'm a Caroline fan. I had noticed her dancing on the edge of frames in previous episodes and thought she looked powerful. I loved her makeover and expect that with more DCC glam training on hair and makeup that she will look prettier and prettier as time goes by. I had to watch carefully for her in the dance studio, but she looks like a very strong performer and she's become one of my favorite TCCs to watch for now. I really hope we get some focus on her, as well as Bridget. 

Another surprise for me is how much I liked Rachel this episode, I guess because I have a certain idea of pageant girls seeming fake (like the Minchew sisters). But I realize that a number of DCC I've really liked have been pageant girls (like Sydney and KaShara), so maybe I need to adjust my notions of pageant people. Toddlers & Tiaras definitely has something to do with my perception of that world, so shame on me for being so swayed by "reality" TV. I already thought Rachel was beautiful and a lovely dancer, but she impressed me with her office visit and camera talking head moments so far. What a contrast between Rachel and VK in terms of how they each acted while talking to the camera before their office visits with Kelli. One was so composed, mature, and really open to criticism, and the other was all over the place, laughing, tearful, fidgeting, and not listening to the feedback. Ugh. VK, just shut up and listen when your elders are talking to you! I am glad they told her so directly she wasn't performing at the top 36 and the alumni weren't impressed with her. But she didn't really listen: You need to tone up--Yes, I know--You need to improve your--Which vet should I work with? Just. Listen. To. What. They. Are. Saying. Interesting that VK said she didn't get any comments during the actual rehearsal. I wonder if she was just blending and getting outperformed, or if the alumni didn't want to give open critiques in front of Kelli. I wish they hadn't edited out who else's names Kelli said when running down the roster of which rookies didn't get an "outstanding" rating from the alumni during that rehearsal. 

Reveal hidden contents

I seriously am so relieved to know VK got cut or I might otherwise be losing my mind watching these episodes. I may be petty AF, but I can't wait to see her get her comeuppance.

Can't wait for the next episode! 

in terms of your 'hidden contents' I agree wholeheartedly!

I LOVED seeing the alumni, for me it was so much better a segment than when MRS takes girls aside and then brings in their families (who generally have no experience besides being on fringe of the girl dancing) to critique what they're doing.  these are women that are accomplished dancers, know what DCC wants, what the girls need to show, how to achieve that style and therefore can provide such a wealth of feedback and information. 
Ugh, the difference between Rachel and VK in the office was huge.  VK, STOP INTERRUPTING! every other girl is 'yes ma'am, no ma'am' only when it's their time to speak, never interrupting K&J (Judy shaking her head when VK interrupted about what vet to go to...) yes Rachel slouched, BUT she has some back issues and sitting that way is absolutely classic guarding behaviour forthe spine, stretching out the lumbar region, relieving a lot of hte pressure that area is under the moment you're no longer lying down and sitting is a hugely stressful thing for the spine.  I have severe spinal issues after breaking my back in three places (horse riding is fun y'all!) and my lumbar region is shot and I sit like that and my pain management specialists can always tell exactly my pain level any given day by how far over I'm slouching, to what side, how much weight i'm putting on the armrest. the moment I saw her sitting exactly like me I was like 'yup, she's learned that behaviour, that's classic back pain sitting'

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

sounds heartless, I know

I'm on the fence. If they're not in Show Group, the maximum amount of times they'll do a kickline is 9 times. If they're not 'perfect,' I honestly think that it's okay. The only issue with that is if everyone else's kicks are fantastic, it makes everyone look bad. That would be the only reason I would say to not even take the "mediocre" kickers in.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, LadyMsJay said:

I'm on the fence. If they're not in Show Group, the maximum amount of times they'll do a kickline is 9 times. If they're not 'perfect,' I honestly think that it's okay. The only issue with that is if everyone else's kicks are fantastic, it makes everyone look bad. That would be the only reason I would say to not even take the "mediocre" kickers in.

i think you're also, with mediocre kickers, running risk of injury to that girl and/or others. if she tries too hard to get her kicks in line she could tear any number of muscles/ligaments, and she could hurt the girls either side of her by putting too much of her weight into her hold on their hsoulders as she tries to use them for leverage to force her leg higher through a more forceful kick.  so even though its potentially only a 9 time event, its not a risk I as a choreographer, would take. but that's just me

13 minutes ago, LadyMsJay said:

They might take only do the  iconic version of the kickline at games, but they do a version of it all the time in performances. Kicks are what they are known for!!

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Hildegard802 said:

I recall one who had low kicks.  She wasn't very tall, and her kicks were awfu. But they kept her anyway and had her run off the field right before the kickline.  I want to say it was Sunni; not sure if that's correct.   

yikes. imo, that's shameful for a 'world-class' dance team that consider themselves the most famous cheerleaders in the world

16 minutes ago, Hildegard802 said:

I recall one who had low kicks.  She wasn't very tall, and her kicks were awfu. But they kept her anyway and had her run off the field right before the kickline.  I want to say it was Sunni; not sure if that's correct.   

I think it was Loni and Shelly wasn't sure about her running off

30 minutes ago, nittanyvolleyball said:

I think it was Loni and Shelly wasn't sure about her running off

wasn't there a video that definitely showed someone running off but couldn't tell who it was? I wanna say it was a christmas performance, I seem to remeber the red and white outfit

Honestly, that’s a big deal to have a cheerleader not perform the kick line. Shelly remembers. She’s just too nice to say.

Also, was it ever confirmed by someone in the know, apart from that blurry video, if Loni did not perform the kick line for the 2007 season?

Edited by PBSLover
bad sentence

Loni was, I think, the only girl with horrible (and demonstrably) low kicks to make the squad.  I don't know of another girl that has made the squad with kicks as bad as hers.  Taylor might have come close, but unfortunately was cut.  Frankly, Loni set a precedent that girls with bad kicks could be on the squad as long as they are amazing in other areas and Taylor was amazing in just about ALL the other areas they needed.  Sadly, they didn't want her on the squad for some reason and, as far as I know, kicks were really the only reason they could use to cut her.

However, that being said, they have standards that the girls need to meet.  If the girls can't meet those standards, they shouldn't be on the squad or in Training Camp.  The other side of the coin is that Kelli, Judy and the rest shouldn't move the girls forward in the program if the girls can't objectively and reasonably meet those goals.

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

Loni was, I think, the only girl with horrible (and demonstrably) low kicks to make the squad.  I don't know of another girl that has made the squad with kicks as bad as hers.  Taylor might have come close, but unfortunately was cut.  Frankly, Loni set a precedent that girls with bad kicks could be on the squad as long as they are amazing in other areas and Taylor was amazing in just about ALL the other areas they needed.  Sadly, they didn't want her on the squad for some reason and, as far as I know, kicks were really the only reason they could use to cut her.

However, that being said, they have standards that the girls need to meet.  If the girls can't meet those standards, they shouldn't be on the squad or in Training Camp.  The other side of the coin is that Kelli, Judy and the rest shouldn't move the girls forward in the program if the girls can't objectively and reasonably meet those goals.

absolutely.  close is only good enough in horseshoes and hand grenades.  you don't get your drivers liscence if you nail everything but can't keep to the speed limit, you don't get your diploma if you handed in every piece assignment but completely bomb every exam.  you've got to manage all areas and if you're going to go pro in a dance field, you've got to bring it all and kicks are a huge part of that at DCC. don't have the kicks? by all means go to a squad that doesn't require them, but don't sit in a talking head and wax lyrical about how you've dreamed of being a DCC since you were 2 and yet here you are at 23 actng like you had no idea you needed fitness and flexibility for the kickline.  i swear, some years its like the girl literally has no idea that her kicks are low, she'll be flabergasted to hear such a thing, all while I watch going 'YOU HAD TO BE AWARE YOUR KICKS WERE POOR!!" at the tv.

That was definitely something Kelli and Judy did like about Kat - her kicks were insane! she could hit herself in the face with ease and showed zero effort in it.  gymnastic backround is definitely a plus!

Edited by CaseyRe
  • Love 1
On 9/4/2018 at 8:02 PM, TexasBorn said:

Forget the car. Who has a dance studio in their house?!

Very very popular in the Dance Mom world. For Christmas this past year, two of eldest's friends got similar rooms in their house. One for dance with a barre, mirror and flooring and the other for gymnastics with a beam, bar and mats. I guess I should be thankful that my kid is a runner so I just have to let her outside. 

As for the car, my girls will both be gifted brand new cars at 16. It's how we roll. Seeing VK hated for it is a little jarring. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Loves2Dance said:

Very very popular in the Dance Mom world. For Christmas this past year, two of eldest's friends got similar rooms in their house. One for dance with a barre, mirror and flooring and the other for gymnastics with a beam, bar and mats. I guess I should be thankful that my kid is a runner so I just have to let her outside. 

As for the car, my girls will both be gifted brand new cars at 16. It's how we roll. Seeing VK hated for it is a little jarring. 

My first car cost my parents $450 - I drove it for 22 years:)

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, scorpio1031 said:

My first car cost my parents $450 - I drove it for 22 years:)

And I'd never judge that. I personally won't buy a used car. My husband loves old school trucks. But for me, and eventually my daughters, it'll be new. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

And I'd never judge that. I personally won't buy a used car. My husband loves old school trucks. But for me, and eventually my daughters, it'll be new. 

My next one was brand stinkin' new:)  

Edited by scorpio1031
On 9/2/2018 at 11:40 PM, SuzySmith said:

I wish at least a few of the WOC wore their hair natural.  Jacie looked amazing with hers.

I don’t know why they can’t . Back in the day they used to have women wear their hair natural so why not now ? 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Gigi88 said:

I don’t know why they can’t . Back in the day they used to have women wear their hair natural so why not now ? 

i think a)styles have changed, its all the super-processed, super sleek, long bouncy curl look which afro-caribbean hair requires a LOT of processing to achieve which is super duper damaging.  its hella damaging to caucasian hair, but on A-C hair, it can be dire so I think some of the girls, like Jackie, choose to protect their natural hair via use of a weave b)in recent years there's been a loot of increase in policing of A-C people''s hair, schools not allowing children to have it natural, the military doing same, there's been a push against it, and perhaps DCC is falling into line with that?? I think it's ridiculous, but that said, were I in that situation, and of colour, I'd likely choose a weave because I am super vain about my hair and I don't even like using blow dryers because it's damagigng and I'm not risking my hair breaking or falling out just to dance at a football game, no thank you sir

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CaseyRe said:
2 hours ago, Gigi88 said:

i think a)styles have changed, its all the super-processed, super sleek, long bouncy curl look which afro-caribbean hair requires a LOT of processing to achieve which is super duper damaging.  its hella damaging to caucasian hair, but on A-C hair, it can be dire so I think some of the girls, like Jackie, choose to protect their natural hair via use of a weave b)in recent years there's been a loot of increase in policing of A-C people''s hair, schools not allowing children to have it natural, the military doing same, there's been a push against it, and perhaps DCC is falling into line with that?? I think it's ridiculous, but that said, were I in that situation, and of colour, I'd likely choose a weave because I am super vain about my hair and I don't even like using blow dryers because it's damagigng and I'm not risking my hair breaking or falling out just to dance at a football game, no thank you sir

I have never had a weave in my life.  I don’t wear wigs.  I put one on one day and went to DC on the mall.  I was so miserable!  It was hot and itchy.  As SOON as I got home, I threw it away.  LOL!  Anyway, for me, I have locs which would be perfect (for me) in my opinion.  I can still do the hair flips, I can curl, cut or color it.  It’s long so if they wanted to, they could basically still put it in a DCC style.  If it rains, no problem!  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

That's ridiculous! (not you..and not saying that they do subscribe to that, but if they did..that would be insane).

I agree though. I'd wear a weave or a wig or SOMETHING (like Jacie, Nicole H., Robin, Khalyn, Jasmine etc..)

6 minutes ago, VintageJ said:

I have never had a weave in my life.  I don’t wear wigs.  I put one on one day and went to DC on the mall.  I was so miserable!  It was hot and itchy.  As SOON as I got home, I threw it away.  LOL!  Anyway, for me, I have locs which would be perfect (for me) in my opinion.  I can still do the hair flips, I can curl, cut or color it.  It’s long so if they wanted to, they could basically still put it in a DCC style.  If it rains, no problem!  

I doubt they'd ever let a girl on the team with locs.

4 minutes ago, LadyMsJay said:

I doubt they'd ever let a girl on the team with locs.

Yeah, I won’t hold my breath waiting on it, but I can always hope.  Sisterlocs maybe.  It would be interesting to see their reaction to a rockstar powerful dancer, high kicker, great figure, long legs and in every way ready for the field (“I could put a uniform on her today”) but with locs.  I know they don’t understand the versatility of locs and how wonderful they are (can you tell I LOVE my locs?).  I can see them now wondering what to do with her hair.  And asking Marshall.  And the debate over changing her hair.  And once they find out that it’s not that easy to just take her hair out of the locs, the debate (since in every other way she’s great) to move her forward or not.   What to do, what to do?  Would they air the discussion over her locs?  Just makes me wonder.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, VintageJ said:

Yeah, I won’t hold my breath waiting on it, but I can always hope.  Sisterlocs maybe.  It would be interesting to see their reaction to a rockstar powerful dancer, high kicker, great figure, long legs and in every way ready for the field (“I could put a uniform on her today”) but with locs.  I know they don’t understand the versatility of locs and how wonderful they are (can you tell I LOVE my locs?).  I can see them now wondering what to do with her hair.  And asking Marshall.  And the debate over changing her hair.  And once they find out that it’s not that easy to just take her hair out of the locs, the debate (since in every other way she’s great) to move her forward or not.   What to do, what to do?  Would they air the discussion over her locs?  Just makes me wonder.  

They'd get an education, maybe?  

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

Haha! Not a VK fan, but I agree new cars and now for me, in home dance studios are not a big deal.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, VintageJ said:

It would be interesting to see their reaction to a rockstar powerful dancer, high kicker, great figure, long legs and in every way ready for the field (“I could put a uniform on her today”) but with locs. 

If she's all that, and has the facial beauty, I think they'd put her on the team. I doubt locs or braids would be a deal-breaker under those circumstances. Kelli recognizes talent and beauty. She'd get educated about the hair and would see that locs have movement.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 3