Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: Getting the DCC Look

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, TexasBorn said:

There are a lot of tall girls in TCC this year. I applaud shorties like Gabby, Malena, and Brennan for standing out among the Amazons.

I also applaud the TCCs who work full time while in camp.

I always feel kinda sorry for the tall girls. maybe because Im tall - jjust shy of 6 foot and admittedly a very different build to these girls (even thet all ones have a petite bone strucure and I do not) but when I'm around a lot of girls shorter than me, even ones of similar builds, I feel like a Budweiser Clydesdale that took a wrong turn and wound up at the Kentucky Derby. I always feel very conspicious and on show. then again, Im quite shy and spent a lifetime being made to feel like I was too big (which to be fair, I did gymnastics and figure skating and I was taller than most of the men doing it let alone the girls!) so maybe it's just me.  that said, having such an array of heights must be a nightmare in terms of kickline because you've got to stagger the heights or you'll hurt someone

1 minute ago, scorpio1031 said:

And he already has a swimsuit photo, but I am so not posting it...…..LOL!!!

that's it, the girls can shut up about it, calendar cover has been found!!

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

I always feel kinda sorry for the tall girls. maybe because Im tall - jjust shy of 6 foot and admittedly a very different build to these girls (even thet all ones have a petite bone strucure and I do not) but when I'm around a lot of girls shorter than me, even ones of similar builds, I feel like a Budweiser Clydesdale that took a wrong turn and wound up at the Kentucky Derby. I always feel very conspicious and on show. then again, Im quite shy and spent a lifetime being made to feel like I was too big (which to be fair, I did gymnastics and figure skating and I was taller than most of the men doing it let alone the girls!) so maybe it's just me.  that said, having such an array of heights must be a nightmare in terms of kickline because you've got to stagger the heights or you'll hurt someone

that's it, the girls can shut up about it, calendar cover has been found!!

Taller girls also usually (not always) struggle w/ the coordination that it takes to do things like dance and gymnastics.  And I agree that nowadays a lot of girls activities emphasize being petite.   I’m taller too (5’8”) and I never really felt any significant negatively towards it when I was growing up (I’m in my mid-40’s) but nowadays I think it’s much worse.

Being tall looks great in photos and clothes always look better on tall thin people w/ long legs, but when you’re trying to do something like be part of a dance team cause you geninely love dance it’s hard. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

I think most newer cars (as in less than 10 years old) have alerts/warning lights for such things too.  I know my car can be quite obnoxious when something like that is wrong. 

Agree - I bought my personal car new, 13 years ago and it has a light on the instrument panel that tells me when a tail/brake light is out.  But it's possible she had an indicator light and didn't know what the light meant; not everyone does.  Not everyone pays attention to the instrument panel either and she kind of strikes me as the type of girl who fills the tank, puts it in D and never really thinks beyond that ;)  Kashara could help her! hehehe

• Love 2

I believe Rachel (Miss America) just isn’t that strong of a dancer...yet. She doesn’t have the self confidence or power...yet. But I like her. It’s surprising that she is a bit shy/quiet considering she must have been doing the pageant circuit for a long time. All the other girls that have come in from the pageant world have been pretty sure of themselves. Maybe she knows she’s not a great dancer so she comes across as a bit dull because she doesn’t want to bring attention to herself. It will be interesting to see if she flourishes.

Also, I love that TPTB listened to us and are featuring alumni on the show. 

Edited by PBSLover
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, PBSLover said:

I believe Rachel (Miss America) just isn’t that strong of a dancer...yet. She doesn’t have the self confidence or power...yet. But I like her. It’s surprising that she is a bit shy/quiet considering she must have been doing the pageant circuit for a long time. All the other girls that have come in from the pageant world have pretty sure of themselves. Maybe she knows she’s not a great dancer so she comes across as a bit dull because she doesn’t want to bring attention to herself. It will be interesting to see if she flourishes.

Like most rookies, she's in "dear in headlights mode" The DCC life is one big culture shock. 

Edited by TexasBorn
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Stee said:

I read this thread before watching the episode and I’m about to say something super controversial right now: I actually really liked Kelli’s dress and boot look! I thought she looked great!

Hahahahahaha! Hey I wasn’t a fan but I do have to give Kelli credit... she’s not afraid to try new looks. Some work and some don’t, but she’s a beautiful woman! Her face just sparkled at makeovers. I’d love her skin! 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

Like that one super tall girl who was in TC a year or 2 ago (I don't remember her name), her heighth (tm Vivian) worked against her.

I think it was Lindsey, the ballet dancer.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

think most newer cars (as in less than 10 years old) have alerts/warning lights for such things too.  I know my car can be quite obnoxious when something like that is wrong. 

I've never heard of a warning light for a burnt out headlight/taillight. The last 2 cars I own/owned have a low tire light that comes on. Our Caravan has an annoying light and chime for when the oil change is due. 

2 hours ago, TexasBorn said:

There are a lot of tall girls in TCC this year. I applaud shorties like Gabby, Malena, and Brennan for standing out among the Amazons.

I also applaud the TCCs who work full time while in camp.

As a tall woman I don't like the term amazon. I don't call a petite woman a shrimp.

• Love 6
41 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

I've never heard of a warning light for a burnt out headlight/taillight. The last 2 cars I own/owned have a low tire light that comes on. Our Caravan has an annoying light and chime for when the oil change is due. 

As a tall woman I don't like the term amazon. I don't call a petite woman a shrimp.

I'm sorry. For me Amazon means Wonder Women, statuette goddesses.

• Love 8

Dayton had a balayage thing going on with the ends of her hair, and Marshall said he'd like to bring the highlights "up" a bit more, but when we saw her at rehearsal I thought her hair looked darker & the highlights she already had looked like they were gone.  I wonder what happened to change their minds.

• Love 3

Kelli, Jacie, and Nicole all rocked their dresses in this episode.  Victoria is winning me over by being her real self, which at this point in her life is a slightly immature, over-enthusiatic, 18-year-old girl, and that's okay.  Dayton looks to be so nice and is such a beautiful girl, but she appears to struggle with the fast pace of learning the choreography (or at least is edited that way).  Kristin and blonde Taylor are both very pretty, but perhaps a bit timid.  And Marshall and Courtney both have an anxious energy about them.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, TexasBorn said:

thats generally how its meant, its not meant as an insult, whereas shrimp generally is, though often a more teasing one. I've never minded being called an Amazon due to my height - I am unusally tall for a woman, more than 6" taller than the US average, in fact I'm taller than average for a man but everyones milleage varies i guess

Edited by CaseyRe
  • Love 4

What to say, what to say.

Kelli's outfit choices have always been very...extra. Some good, some bad...tonight would not be the night I kept her. But she's rocking in so you go girl.

Victoria is gaining weigh and it's noticeable all over. Also, grabbing your shorts while you dance (with the Alumni) is trashy, please stop that---you're 18 and not auditioning to be a stripper. Not brushing your hair before salon day? Girl, bye. And just stop talking. And don't interrupt when people talk, it's rude. 

Dayton, Dayton, Dayton...I wish tonight was your last night. The edit you are getting is trash and while I get that CMT needs a story line, it's your imagine and reputation. YouTube is alive and well and this sh*t will never go away.

So many people we haven't even met yet and all we get Dayton and Victoria in 85% of the talking heads. Sigh. I heard there is a Lily in training camp...have we met her? We finally got to meet Caroline...or well, look at her eyes.

Jaylyn is the new Holly...that is all.

Maddie's reaction to getting GL was cute. 

Loved seeing Courtney. 

Kelli stop beating around the bush with VK---she's venturing from soft to fat. DCC standard can high some softness, but it can't hide what she is packing right now. If she were anyone else, you'd be having a stern talking to her.

Jay is back...oh...yay... /eyeroll

The guy in the suit and his speech...why? 

Next week's preview better come with a serious weight conversation with VK. That uniform is NOT going to be her friend.  

1 hour ago, MrsEVH said:

Agreed. I drive a 2016 Mitsu Outlander, I have zero warnings for tail lights being out. Though, given that it was daytime, I'm thinking Kristen said tail light and meant break light. Which does have a bit of a warning---it makes my blinker go way faster than normal and draw attention to it.

I'm also tall and I love Amazon. They get me my packages in 2 days. LOL j/k...sorta, I don't find the term offensive though. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Loves2Dance said:

Kelli's outfit choices have always been very...extra. Some good, some bad...tonight would not be the night I kept her. But she's rocking in so you go girl.

Victoria is gaining weigh and it's noticeable all over. Also, grabbing your shorts while you dance (with the Alumni) is trashy, please stop that---you're 18 and not auditioning to be a stripper. Not brushing your hair before salon day? Girl, bye. And just stop talking. And don't interrupt when people talk, it's rude. 

Dayton, Dayton, Dayton...I wish tonight was your last night. The edit you are getting is trash and while I get that CMT needs a story line, it's your imagine and reputation. YouTube is alive and well and this sh*t will never go away.

So many people we haven't even met yet and all we get Dayton and Victoria in 85% of the talking heads. Sigh. I heard there is a Lily in training camp...have we met her? We finally got to meet Caroline...or well, look at her eyes.

Loved seeing Courtney. 

Kelli stop beating around the bush with VK---she's venturing from soft to fat. DCC standard can high some softness, but it can't hide what she is packing right now. If she were anyone else, you'd be having a stern talking to her.

Next week's preview better come with a serious weight conversation with VK. That uniform is NOT going to be her friend.  

I wish they'd stop bringing in coaches to give some motivational speech to the girls, and then having talking heads of the girls basically fainting at the idea of being in the presence of this coach whom many of them probably wouldn't recognise on sight, but if they did decent research on the team for interview day at least know who he is.  its pointless filler wen I'd rather have had more of the alumni discussion shown instead

• Love 11
1 minute ago, CaseyRe said:

I wish they'd stop bringing in coaches to give some motivational speech to the girls, and then having talking heads of the girls basically fainting at the idea of being in the presence of this coach whom many of them probably wouldn't recognise on sight, but if they did decent research on the team for interview day at least know who he is.  its pointless filler wen I'd rather have had more of the alumni discussion shown instead

Agreed. These girls can't even talk to his players and he's supposed to have some Earth shattering insight into what they're doing through? As if. I kinda got Jerry Jones coming in, he's owns them after all, but after hearing about buckets and their level of fullness for the rest of the season I really wished he hadn't made his opinion. 

• Love 18

I just rewatched the episode. I forgot Kristin’s job was doing sign language translation of the Bible and she drives a long way to do that job. If I were her boss, I would believe her when she says a cop pulled her over. She still should have left earlier, but I think she’s honest.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, NMDD43 said:

She may very well have the most juvenile personality we have ever seen on this show. And we have seen plenty of girls just as young as her. I couldn't believe Kelli had to ask her if she brushed her hair before coming to the salon. Like, come on VK...

I found it especially bad when she completely cut Kelli off at the end of her office visit. She just butted right in to ask "which veteran should help her". It is a major pet peeve of mine when people cut you off when coversing

YES! Me thinks if someone else did that other that VK, they might be asked to read a book written by Jackie O!

• Love 15
1 hour ago, TexasBorn said:

When I'm advertising for help on the farm (female) I say amazon woman a plus.  That means you are strong, can handle a hammer, drill, saw and don't mind getting dirty.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Dayton had a balayage thing going on with the ends of her hair, and Marshall said he'd like to bring the highlights "up" a bit more, but when we saw her at rehearsal I thought her hair looked darker & the highlights she already had looked like they were gone.  I wonder what happened to change their minds.

They toned down the balayage, gave her subtle #peanutbutter highlight and chocolate extensions.

• Love 15
11 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

Nashville. No work order ticket (not heard of those)--just told "get it fixed." I assume I was logged in the system so if I got pull over again, maybe they'd give me a ticket for not getting it fixed?? not sure. I got it fixed the next day.

I lived in Nashville for a few years (not anymore), and it was the same when I got pulled over for one of my headlights being out. They ran my information, and when nothing came up, they let me go and just told me to just get it fixed. From what i remember, it was a Friday night, and I got it fixed the next day. 

I am often critical of Kelli, but I thought she handled herself well in the episode. She's human, and I'm sure its difficult to have the daughters of your friend of and co-worker in training camp, but I thought she was professional last night and kept her biases under control. I agreed with her comments to VK and Dayton. 

I like Jayln and Malena a lot. They are my favorites of the rookies so far. 

I always love Marshall, so I enjoy any episode where he is featured.

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, rose711 said:

I just rewatched the episode. I forgot Kristin’s job was doing sign language translation of the Bible and she drives a long way to do that job. If I were her boss, I would believe her when she says a cop pulled her over. She still should have left earlier, but I think she’s honest.

no offense to Kristen- but I.m surprised that sign language video of the Bible hasn't been done already. Or is the plan to sign all of the different versions of the Bible...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Loves2Dance said:

Loved seeing Courtney. 

Agreed. I drive a 2016 Mitsu Outlander, I have zero warnings for tail lights being out. Though, given that it was daytime, I'm thinking Kristen said tail light and meant break light. Which does have a bit of a warning---it makes my blinker go way faster than normal and draw attention to it.

I'm also tall and I love Amazon. They get me my packages in 2 days. LOL j/k...sorta, I don't find the term offensive though. 

Newer vehicles have the headlights who come on automatically when the driver starts the car leading to the tail lights coming on. I think Kristin means tail light. Believe me law enforcement officers notice the difference between brake and tail lights when they pull someone over. I have known people who got pulled over for a tail light being out during the day.

16 hours ago, Taralightner said:

They told both Kristen and Victoria to work with Kashara. I LOVE Kash, but there’s not another vet/ group leader that could add some value? Also, Kash taught last week and this week. In past years, we’ve seen them mix it up a bit. Lacey is group 1 leader. We’ve been told that group 1 leader is like other squad’s captain position. I just wonder what’s up with this. Again, NOTHING against Kash at all. 

I thinks it’s because she was their GL.  Don’t they stay within their groups for help?  Someone who knows the answer please help.  But that’s my thought.  Ok happy reading ?

Edited by ales-ya
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, PBSLover said:

Ugh. More straight flat hair parted in the middle and curled at the ends. THAT IS NOT A MAKEOVER. Some of these girls have big foreheads! Caroline could have used side bangs. Before and after looked exactly the same to me.

I think they focus more on the color than the actual haircut. Both are important.

Well That is the style these days. Look on tv all the women doing the news, weather, actresses all seem to have that style now days. 

51 minutes ago, EricaShadows said:

One other thing I noticed was that there was something off about her face, especially the eyes.  It makes me wonder if she had a medical reason (other than the rumored drug abuse or eating disorder) to leave camp.  Starting a new medicine or adjusting the routine could cause some of the symptoms we saw.  The nurses here could speculate on that better than I could, though.

I truly believe she was abusing some type of drugs. She still seemed off to me in that interview . I seem to notice people that have abused a certain genre of narcotic seem to have that lost , dead in the eyes look about them. Britney Spears is an example. Her eyes are don’t have that sparkle anymore and haven’t since her meltdown . I’m not an expert or anything . It’s just my personal observation from seeing it in person with many people

• Love 2

I always like seeing the group leader announcements. Good for Maddie. Interesting Heather O. was passed over since she was a second last year. Who are the seconds this year?  (I don’t think that’s a spoiler, aren’t they announced at the same time? They never show it.

• Love 3

Although I'm not a dancer, normally I can parse Kelli's comments/critiques based on context, but there's something she said in this episode that I just don't understand.   When Brennan's group was performing, she comments to Judy something like "At least Brennan knows this dance" or "Thank God Brennan knows this dance."  I can't figure out if that meant Brennan wasn't doing something correctly or if the rest of the group was off and Brennan was the only one doing it right.  Anyone?

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2

They toned down the balayage, gave her subtle #peanutbutter highlight and chocolate extensions.

Are we still talking about hair because I'm getting hungry...

Props to the production company for allowing us to have alumnae updates.  We get invested in these ladies.  We struggle with them and cry with them and mentally push them toward making the team.  Then the next year, we're lucky to get a glimpse of them at some point.  It's nice to see Kashara and others as they move into leadership roles.  And I love seeing the past DCC as advisors.   We can make fun of the organization all we want, but they endear loyalty from the majority of members.

I feel bad in that I can't seem to keep any of the rookies straight this season.  All the blondes look alike.  I will miss plum hair girl because at least I knew who she was.  And her name is...plum hair girl?  I was pleased to see Melana (NJ girl who has memory issues) do so well in practice.  I love seeing how a person's confidence soars when they get some positive feedback.

Rock on Kelli!  You can't win on appearance because someone always has an opinion.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Gigi88 said:

Well That is the style these days. Look on tv all the women doing the news, weather, actresses all seem to have that style now days. 

Center parts are hard to wear. Very few, in my opinion, look good with a center part. Side parts are way more flattering. But that’s me.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, jlc said:

I always thought it was drugs. Kelli's comment that her mother said "she is where she needs to be right now" made me totally think drugs. Hopefully I am wrong. 

I thought diet pills.

32 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

And her name is...plum hair girl?

I liked Jalyn's hair before. 

3 hours ago, healthnut said:

I always like seeing the group leader announcements. Good for Maddie. Interesting Heather O. was passed over since she was a second last year. Who are the seconds this year?  (I don’t think that’s a spoiler, aren’t they announced at the same time? They never show it.

Didn't the camera show Heather O. before they called Madeline's name? 

3 hours ago, LisaWl7TR said:

Didn't the camera show Heather O. before they called Madeline's name? 

Yes, she was in Kashara’s group. I was just saying in general. Her and Amy were seconds last year, everyone else retired but Maddie, who wasn’t a second last year, got group leader over Heather, who was Kashara’s second last year. 

Edited by healthnut
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Gigi88 said:
On 8/31/2018 at 1:25 AM, PBSLover said:

Ugh. More straight flat hair parted in the middle and curled at the ends. THAT IS NOT A MAKEOVER. Some of these girls have big foreheads! Caroline could have used side bangs. Before and after looked exactly the same to me.

I think they focus more on the color than the actual haircut. Both are important.

IMO that's the problem, people are given hair styles based on what's popular and not on what looks good on them.

5 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I can't figure out if that meant Brennan wasn't doing something correctly or if the rest of the group was off and Brennan was the only one doing it right.  Anyone?

I thought it could be taken one of three ways: 1. as you said, that Brennan was the only one doing it right, 2. that they were happy Brennan was doing it right because, as Kelli said in episode one, she'd really like to see Brennan make it, or 3. they were happy she was doing it right so they don't look foolish bringing her into TC for a 3rd time.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

I think a part of the issue is, that for a lot of girls (and boys) that are as into dance or any specialty, is that they get blinkered vision and it becomes their whole life and so they miss out on a lot of things other kids/teens do that kinda help them age a little. when I skated, so many of the late teens/early twenties skaters were, IMO, quite immature for their ages because they'd not had the life experiences that others had had that matured them. in some ways they could be very mature - super on the ball during travel and organisation, and then super immature emotionally and mentally. I can't quite get the words right to explain what I mean but i think par tof the issue is systemic in the sort of one track lives many of those in this level of dance/sport/etc can have.

This is a very unique perspective that not many people realize. Thank you for the insight.

• Love 1

A few thoughts I have on this episode -

I think Victoria is a strong dancer, but needs better control. I think her personality is fun and exuberant - I can see that coming off as annoying. I think she's just really excitable and somewhat immature. 

I think Dayton is a beautiful girl and dancer. I just think she is far more reserved than many others. I thought the editing of her being late was overdone. I did appreciate the fact that we were shown Kelli talking to her and what and how Kelli said it to her. I feel she was right on with telling Dayton she has to be on time and she can't get special treatment for being a coach's daughter, but yet, Kelli let her know that she cares about her.

I wish they would show more of each TCC. I feel like we don't get a good representation of all of them. 

I also wish we would see a before and after of each makeover.

I think TCC Lindsey is looking fantastic - appears to know dances well, is powerful, and has a great look.

I also really like Gabby. Cute, great dancer......

Edited by Tarode
I just forgot a few thoughts (not uncommon for a 52 year old!).
  • Love 6
On 8/31/2018 at 8:51 AM, LaurenBrook said:

IMHO the only thing women shouldn't wear is the weight of other people's judgments and opinions.  I love people who wear whatever the heck they feel like that day and don't care what other people think.  Life is way too short.  :)  I personally wouldn't rock boots in the summer but Kelli was wearing that outfit like she was doing it a favor.  

Thank you. I don't find it shocking just personally sad when I think of women of any age feeling they have to bow to the acerbic statements of others. As long as an outfit isn't inappropriate for weight, or provocative I don't see the big deal . I'm a millennial, I have a kind of pretty but plain fashion sense, I workout regularly and I have a beach body but my role models are women and men of varied styles, looks, backgrounds, and views---the one thing they all have in common is that they're positive people. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

LOL at the Jay comment, I think I saw him on an episode of wife swap years ago....he was so unlikable. 

Jaylyn sets the dance floor on fire. She's by far the best rookie on this year!. I hit rewind on her scenes several times!

• Love 3
23 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

In the case of Kristin, Kelli could have checked her tail lights out. It is a hard to tell by looking at someone's vehicle if the person was speeding.

I don’t think she thought either one was lying. Remember, Kaitlyn came in HOURS late, slurring her words, and generally acting off.  That’s what triggered Kelli’s BS button.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, MelissaMinion said:

I don’t think she thought either one was lying. Remember, Kaitlyn came in HOURS late, slurring her words, and generally acting off.  That’s what triggered Kelli’s BS button.

I was joking around. I feel bad for Kaitlyn. The poor girl was struggling to be in college and be the perfect DCC at a young age.

I feel bad for Kristin also. I would be tired too if I had a 40 hour full time job, drive 100 miles a day, and go to practice at least five days a week. I get tired taking a short walk around my neighborhood after going to my mailbox. Of course, I am older and deal with multiple health issues affecting me energy levels. Oh to be young again!

15 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

I'm not normally overly thrilled about this segment, but I think this is great for DCC to have the head coach of the players come give a talk.  It contects them to the team they cheer for, yada.  I doubt he would do it at all if it wasn't filmed for promotional reasons...so there you go.  It's cross marketing.  But from an entertainment perspective, I agree we are not really the audience.

• Love 6
On 8/30/2018 at 9:19 PM, ClosetBachJunkie said:

I guess Kristin doesn't remember Christina (...I think) from Season 2. She was actually deaf and wore hearing aids. Way to sound ignorant!

You are right. Her name was Christina Murphy and it was a huge deal in 2008 that got a lot of national and international media coverage. Kitty freakin Carter balled like a billy goat at her solo during rookie practice at the studio. Some have argued it was Christina who first brought DCCMTT to pop culture status (though I'm not one of them). 

But, one would think, with JK's and DC's obsession with their history and adoration they had for her they A) Let Kristin open her mouth ever again B) Didn't send her packing immediately upon hearing about it C) Send a correction tweet or something on Social Media D) Didn't cut her head off, stand on a chair with it swinging about by her hair and shout the story as a warning 'Oh Shi Re, Kill Bill' style. IMO

• Love 4