Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: Getting the DCC Look

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

Kristin reminds me of the one girl from Season 10 who was going to get cut, but she said she was leaving due to her one college cut before Kelli said tonight will be your last night. I feel bad for Kristin. I cannot imagine driving 100 miles a day, working 40 hours a week, and TC at the same time. Reminds me of my husband getting up in the afternoon, go in for a dialysis treatment and then go work the graveyard shift.

I think the Courtney segment was damage control aka we will let her tell why she left because of all the rumors floating around since she left. Kelli and Charlotte do not want fans and viewers think she left due to an eating disorder because it would make the DCC Organization look bad if a girl left due to an eating disorder. She looks much better since she left the squad.

I laugh at Kelli and her big city salon makeovers. I do not think the makeovers are all that wonderful. I live in an area where the population in the county is around 75,000 people. I go to a locally own salon, and I can get much better hair cuts, color and highlights than the girls get at a big fancy salon. No offense to Marshall because he is one of my favorite judges.

5 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Kristin reminds me of the one girl from Season 10 who was going to get cut, but she said she was leaving due to her one college cut before Kelli said tonight will be your last night. I feel bad for Kristin. I cannot imagine driving 100 miles a day, working 40 hours a week, and TC at the same time. Reminds me of my husband getting up in the afternoon, go in for a dialysis treatment and then go work the graveyard shift.

I think the Courtney segment was damage control aka we will let her tell why she left because of all the rumors floating around since she left. Kelli and Charlotte do not want fans and viewers think she left due to an eating disorder because it would make the DCC Organization look bad if a girl left due to an eating disorder. She looks much better since she left the squad.

I laugh at Kelli and her big city salon makeovers. I do not think the makeovers are all that wonderful. I live in an area where the population in the county is around 75,000 people. I go to a locally own salon, and I can get much better hair cuts, color and highlights than the girls get at a big fancy salon. No offense to Marshall because he is one of my favorite judges.

I like Marshall as a person and personality on the judge panel, but as a stylist I find him wanting, personally.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

I feel bad for all the rookies not named Victoria. They’re busting their asses for an “idea” of what they think DCC is, when girls like Cassie and Victoria show none of those standards really matter. Her hair and makeup are a mess, she’s out of shape, she has sloppy dance technique, and her face isn’t really what the other girls look like (couldn’t think of a polite way of saying it). We’ve seen girls cut for failing in any one of those categories before. I thought maybe I missed something when she got complimented during the alumni routine, but then the judge made the comment about her “growing up in this” and I realized the woman knew exactly who she was. During the flashback sequence when Kelli remarked that nobody noticed Victoria that night, they all reacted like they were ashamed of THEMSELVES for not going out of their way to help her out. And you’ve got girls like Kristin, working full time and driving 100 miles/day to do this. And a girl like Brennan, who probably needs therapy for what Kelli has put her through, yet is back for year 4 kicking ass and taking names. Yet Victoria gets some criticism and her response is, “My mom has a dance studio in our house, so I’ll just be in there practicing”. I know life isn’t fair, but c’mon. We don’t need to be so over the top in the bag for one girl. Even during rehearsal with Kitty, EVERY OTHER GIRL got some type of criticism mixed with support, but all Victoria gets is, “That was beautiful” and a hug? I know people love her “personality” but I wonder how much happier and brighter the other girls would be if they weren’t criticized as much and could skate by?

Heavy editing, drama, ratings and money.

4 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

I feel bad for all the rookies not named Victoria. They’re busting their asses for an “idea” of what they think DCC is, when girls like Cassie and Victoria show none of those standards really matter. Her hair and makeup are a mess, she’s out of shape, she has sloppy dance technique, and her face isn’t really what the other girls look like (couldn’t think of a polite way of saying it). We’ve seen girls cut for failing in any one of those categories before. I thought maybe I missed something when she got complimented during the alumni routine, but then the judge made the comment about her “growing up in this” and I realized the woman knew exactly who she was. During the flashback sequence when Kelli remarked that nobody noticed Victoria that night, they all reacted like they were ashamed of THEMSELVES for not going out of their way to help her out. And you’ve got girls like Kristin, working full time and driving 100 miles/day to do this. And a girl like Brennan, who probably needs therapy for what Kelli has put her through, yet is back for year 4 kicking ass and taking names. Yet Victoria gets some criticism and her response is, “My mom has a dance studio in our house, so I’ll just be in there practicing”. I know life isn’t fair, but c’mon. We don’t need to be so over the top in the bag for one girl. Even during rehearsal with Kitty, EVERY OTHER GIRL got some type of criticism mixed with support, but all Victoria gets is, “That was beautiful” and a hug? I know people love her “personality” but I wonder how much happier and brighter the other girls would be if they weren’t criticized as much and could skate by?

is she a pretty girl? without question. but she doesn't have the DCC look. that's not a bad thing, doesnst make her unattractive or lacking, but if beautiful girls with more power adn better dance have been cut in previous years for not having 'the look', then its irritating to see someone skate by when their dance is unpolished, they're soft in the middle and thats just mentioned rather than hammered home like it would be in other girls, and they don't visually have the 'right' look.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Stan39 said:

Well said!!!!  I think Kitty telling Victoria "that was beautiful" and the big hug shows she loves her so much that she is blind to what the girl really looks like, acts like or dances like.  Victoria is one of Kitty's favorite girls she makes that very clear.  I think Kelli is also blind to seeing the real Victoria.  I am sure all of the girls in TC walk on eggs around Victoria in fear of her ratting them out to Kelli.  I believe Tina and Victoria would do anything to get Victoria on the team.  

• Love 15
2 hours ago, rose711 said:

I thought Kelli looked great. I preferred that to the bandage dresses. 

I feel for Kell having to manage to girls she loves like children when they are clearly not the best dancers in the room. I wish both Dayton and Victoria waited until they were older. Honestly, I think they should raise the age a couple of years I’m not sure how it would hurt.

even Holly, as great at dancing as she was, ending up stumbling in part because she was young.

they expect so much maturity and the young girls just seem extra young when they are next to the poised older girls in the room. 

Bud Light/InBev has been a BIG NFL sponsor for years. I would think under that circumstance it would be wise to have the age limit be 21+.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

I was waiting for Kelli to ask for tickets or written warnings like she did w/Kaitlin LeGrande. 

After the whole Kaitlin thing, if it had been me, I would have been begging the officer “please give me a written warning or an actual ticket”!

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

The way foils were applied to one of the blondes was just plain messy. Those foil packets should look like little neat soldiers all in a row, not crinkled up leftovers from last night's casserole. (Taking off pro hair stylist hat).

Edited by tinabee1967
  • Love 11
7 minutes ago, tinabee1967 said:

I can't believe we are on ep # 5 and nobody has been cut, yet. 

I haven’t seen any real solid No’s for sure, can’t make it yet. Malina turned it around quickly. Rachel just needs to up her performance, but her dancing is good. Victoria is just too young but she’s not obviously bad in the sense she can’t possibly make it after weeks of training.

Honestly the only two cuts for me would be based on lateness for Dayton and Kristen, but not their dancing. Not yet anyway.

its not like other years where there were glaring first cuts like Colby, for want of a better example, even though she just got in one the fan vote. Or the girls who were cut for their partying photos.

Edited by rose711
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, rose711 said:

I haven’t seen any real solid No’s for sure, can’t make it yet. Malina turned it around quickly. Rachel just needs to up her performance, but her dancing is good. Victoria is just too young but she’s not obviously bad in the sense she can’t possibly make it after weeks of training.

Honestly the only two cuts for me would be based on lateness for Dayton and Kristen, but not their dancing. Not yet anyway.

its not like other years where there were glaring first cuts like Colby, for want of a better example, even though she just got in one the fan vote. Or the girls who were cut for their partying photos.

Colby got the fan vote win due to her family and friends voting for her and not because fans and viewers wanted her to make the squad. To me, the fan vote was like a high school prom queen vote.

I think the first girl who ever got cut quickly was Carla Ann because her ex-boyfriend sent her naughty pictures to Kelli and Judy. She was probably brought in for a cut and to make an example of what happens when naughty pictures of a girl can be brought to the attention of Judy, Kelli and Charlotte. I do not think she had a chance of making the squad, and I cannot believe she got more yes votes than the five one year vets who were cut at finals.

Victoria reminds me of Taylor who was a TCC in Season 6, kinda going out of her way to be overly goofy and coming across as a bit flippant, childish, and not yet polished ...or polishable. 

Give her a few years to grow into herself and I am sure she will be a good DCC, but just not yet.

Edited by kareika
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, rose711 said:

On another note, do you think makeovers are not as dramatic because girls are coming in with the DCC look. 

Yes.  And girls that try again with a fresh look, like Auto Amy and Christina get a renewed interest.  So the "image" does help so girls are already paying for the look before tryouts.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, rose711 said:

It’s odd. It feels like the rookies (for the most part) came really prepared this season and are really strong. Conversely, I feel like this is the weakest group of vets we’ve seen (still better than rookies but not as dynamic as other vet groups).  Maybe that’s just perception (I’ve been watching this show so long and it really focuses on rookies, so in my mind I still see the vets as they were four years ago). Or, as others noted, the demands of DCC get more and more so vets burnout and don’t stay like they used to. Or it could be cyclical. If there’s a great group of strong veterans around it’s harder for younger people to shine and be leaders. We might just be in a valley instead of a peak. Just something I noticed. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tinabee1967 said:

The way foils were applied to one of the blondes was just plain messy. Those foil packets should look like little neat soldiers all in a row, not crinkled up leftovers from last night's casserole. (Taking off pro hair stylist hat).

Curious what you thought of Jacyln red hair.  I am not a professional...I think it is better but not right.  Are there limits when you have to strip the color?

1 hour ago, DCCme said:

After the whole Kaitlin thing, if it had been me, I would have been begging the officer “please give me a written warning or an actual ticket”!

Hard to do with a fictious cop.  If Kelli really wanted to know, they would have gone to her car.  She let it slide, likely cause of Dayton.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

I feel she's trying to hard to remain young and similar to the girls but the key to looking younger than you are as you age, is to age gracefully. over the knee boots have a time, place and frankly age group and none of them were met last night. and frankly, shorter women have to choose their over the knee boots SUPER carefully. if you're petite OTK boots can be a killer, they're not particularly designed for shorter legs adn you really need to be careful with what you wer them with. for example, as OTK boots are generally tight so they stay up, they're best paired with a loose dress or top, like a tunic or sweater dress, but the dress Kelli chose didn't suit the boots she chose at all, and was too shapeless - she has a good natural waist and a shapeless top enlarges her and makes her look overly top heavy, blocky and oddly rectangular. she needed something like heels or wedges with that dress and a belt to show off her waist. the colours also weren't great, the peachy tone not meshing well with her skin tone IMO

I personally disagree but I see where you're coming from

Jalyn's hair is going to have felt vile after that treatment.  I had about two years of black dye stripped out, and then brunette dyed over top and while it looked great and felt okay dry the first time I washed it, I nearly cried, it felt like washing wet straw and took months of hair masks and oil treatments to feel normal again because of the sheer damage of what was done to it.

Kelli isn’t short - she’s actually on the taller side IIRC.  She is just way too old and way too top heavy in the chest to wear those boots.  I usually always like what Kelli wears, but those were just completely awful.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

I feel she's trying to hard to remain young and similar to the girls but the key to looking younger than you are as you age, is to age gracefully. over the knee boots have a time, place and frankly age group and none of them were met last night. and frankly, shorter women have to choose their over the knee boots SUPER carefully. if you're petite OTK boots can be a killer, they're not particularly designed for shorter legs adn you really need to be careful with what you wer them with. for example, as OTK boots are generally tight so they stay up, they're best paired with a loose dress or top, like a tunic or sweater dress, but the dress Kelli chose didn't suit the boots she chose at all, and was too shapeless - she has a good natural waist and a shapeless top enlarges her and makes her look overly top heavy, blocky and oddly rectangular. she needed something like heels or wedges with that dress and a belt to show off her waist. the colours also weren't great, the peachy tone not meshing well with her skin tone IMO.

Caseyre, you expressed my own thoughts on this so much better than I ever could. The colors of that dress reminded me of the Mary Kay fall colors collection of 1978 (I believe my Mom had it, actually!). I am a petite woman who just turned 50 and as you say, shapeless tops/dresses do nothing for us. Belts are my friends because I have a small waist. There's nothing wrong with trying to be on point in terms of fashion and boots are great. I just think over the knee boots are (in general) a bad idea for most women her (and my) age.

Edited by ATLGirl
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

I always thought it was an eating disorder

I always thought it was drugs. Kelli's comment that her mother said "she is where she needs to be right now" made me totally think drugs. Hopefully I am wrong. 

• Love 3
On 8/31/2018 at 11:09 AM, MaryTN said:

I've tried searching, but I can't find if this has been discussed--  Why are some of the women on the wall decor blurred out?

It's been discussed.  Some speculate some are former vets that the show either does not want to display/advertise or can't due to pending legal issues.  Those big full picture shots are expensive and take a while to replace. They'll probably do it After cameos for this season.  ( After the whole Ryan Lochte debockle at the Olympics, my daughter's swim club took 4 months to replace his full body pose on our building.)

Edited by Mardo2044
Clarify it is an opinion
  • Love 2
48 minutes ago, Mardo2044 said:

Curious what you thought of Jacyln red hair.  I am not a professional...I think it is better but not right.  Are there limits when you have to strip the color?

Hard to do with a fictious cop.  If Kelli really wanted to know, they would have gone to her car.  She let it slide, likely cause of Dayton.

Jalyn's hair was lightened to the correct color. I just wish they added more brown to her final color formula, because it is still a little too brash.

You can lift color up to what is called a pale yellow blonde, but ONLY if the hair is healthy enough to handle it. Or, you will end up with this: 

Screenshot_20180821-152911_Instagram.jpg

7 minutes ago, Mardo2044 said:

( After the whole Ryan Lochte debacle at the Olympics, my daughter's swim club took 4 months to replace his full body pose on our building.)

Full body pose of Ryan Lochte.

Well, THAT certainly got my attention. ? The boy is cute as a bug, but dumber than a bag of hammers. ?

• Love 21
45 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

In the case of Kristin, Kelli could have checked her tail lights out. It is a hard to tell by looking at someone's vehicle if the person was speeding.

This is easy to check on your own. Drive to a building that has lots of windows and park so that the trunk is reflected in the windows. Look at your rear view mirror and also turn to look out the back window at the reflection. Tap your brake lights and turn head lights on and off. You will see right away what needs to be replaced.

My observations:

Who was the brunette in the beginning (walking down the hall) in a knee brace? A Vet or Rookie?

Love when Marshall said he wanted to make Dayton the DCC Reese's cup

When they announced the GLs I wish they'd announce whose in each group like they did in a few earlier seasons.

Noticed they didn't show Dayton or Kirstin's final makeovers but showed all the others. Wonder if it was some form of punishment.

Shelly's title is Assoc. Choreographer. Is that like an assistant choreographer or something else? Just curious. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, tinabee1967 said:

This is easy to check on your own. Drive to a building that has lots of windows and park so that the trunk is reflected in the windows. Look at your rear view mirror and also turn to look out the back window at the reflection. Tap your brake lights and turn head lights on and off. You will see right away what needs to be replaced.

I wonder if Kelli will add this on to the what you need to do vehicle wise to be the perfect DCC. Maybe she will get an officer to come in and have a discussion with the girls. Ha!

15 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

My observations:

Who was the brunette in the beginning (walking down the hall) in a knee brace? A Vet or Rookie?

When they announced the GLs I wish they'd announce whose in each group like they did in a few earlier seasons.

Noticed they didn't show Dayton or Kirstin's final makeovers but showed all the others. Wonder if it was some form of punishment.

Shelly's title is Assoc. Choreographer. Is that like an assistant choreographer or something else? Just curious. 

Associate choreographers are above assistant choreos. Assistant C will be shown the dance by a choreo and they then in turn will teach the dancers but they do not provide any steps toward the dance, whereas an associate choreographer will provided steps in a dance, though rarely an entire piece, just certain beats.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:

In the case of Kristin, Kelli could have checked her tail lights out. It is a hard to tell by looking at someone's vehicle if the person was speeding.

At some point, I think you have to trust the girl. If you want to kick her off for being late, fine, but if not you just make a note of it and move on. I’m sure Kelli has better things to do than to go out into the parking lot and check a taillight. And all these girls are terrified of Kelli, anyway. Kristen doesn’t seem like somebody who’d lie. 

And I live in Texas. Highway patrol is awful. There are speed traps everywhere and cops pulling people over who are barely speeding. I can’t imagine having to commute 50 miles to work down here. That could take an hour or several hours depending on traffic, accidents, construction. And you never know before you leave. 

• Love 16
3 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

I can't believe we are on ep # 5 and nobody has been cut, yet. 

training camp is due for a Kitty appearance and/or a guest choreographer. I think the preview said next week will be kickline. 

Then the blood bath will begin - too small for the field.. kicks....Vjay not touching the ground while in split.. skipping entrance... didn't stand out to the guest.. and kitty - well you just got in her line of sight...

Edited by sATL
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, sATL said:

training camp is due for a Kitty appearance and/or a guest choreographer. I think the preview said next week will be kickline. 

Then the blood bath will begin - too small for the field.. kicks.. skipping entrance... didn't stand out to the guest.. and kitty - well you just got in her line of sight...

yup kickline and jump splits. any bets on who is going to be the girl this year that messes up horrifically, either in the trial run where they slide into the splits rather than jump and so shes gets a lecture about how she cannot do that during the actual jump OR who does mess it up in the jump but miracuously manages not to rupture someone else's knee!

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Stan39 said:

At some point, I think you have to trust the girl. If you want to kick her off for being late, fine, but if not you just make a note of it and move on. I’m sure Kelli has better things to do than to go out into the parking lot and check a taillight. And all these girls are terrified of Kelli, anyway. Kristen doesn’t seem like somebody who’d lie. 

And I live in Texas. Highway patrol is awful. There are speed traps everywhere and cops pulling people over who are barely speeding. I can’t imagine having to commute 50 miles to work down here. That could take an hour or several hours depending on traffic, accidents, construction. And you never know before you leave. 

I was joking around about Kelli checking out Kristin's vehicle.

I could drive miles across Montana and not see one highway patrol trooper or a sheriff deputy for a long time unless I get closer to the bigger cities. We joke in Montana we have two seasons: Winter and Road Construction Season. I hate driving in Helena when the traffic is heavy. I cannot imagine what it is like in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

No cuts!  I really wish right now all the episodes were released at the same time, so I could binge-watch this.

I imagine it's hard to make cuts when the rookies all seem to have so much experience--I think nearly everyone was on a professional or a college dance team.  By my count only five rookies lack college/professional experience: Jasmin, Erin, Dayton, Victoria, and Brennan.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I was joking around about Kelli checking out Kristin's vehicle.

I could drive miles across Montana and not see one highway patrol trooper or a sheriff deputy for a long time unless I get closer to the bigger cities. We joke in Montana we have two seasons: Winter and Road Construction Season. I hate driving in Helena when the traffic is heavy. I cannot imagine what it is like in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.

My bad. Lol. You can never tell on these boards. Some people are way too serious 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ElenaFR said:

Wish we could have heard the discussion between the alumni and Judi/Kelli.

Me too. I thought it was strange that they showed the one alumni fawning all over VK, but then later at rehearsal, Kelli mentioned that none of the alumni circled Victoria's picture as a top 36 contender 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

honestly, speakin gof brushing hair, when Marshall visited the Star to discuss the makeovers, I desperately wanted to brush his hair. it looked awful to me.

harder than the Cassie years when she was actually the daughter of one of them?

(Pro hair stylist hat back on) When you are doing blowouts all day on long hair, yours is going to get jacked up in a hurry. You will be sweaty and the front of your own hair will be a hot mess since the dryer nozzle is pointed in your general direction (Monty Python. :) )

• Love 6
4 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Colby got the fan vote win due to her family and friends voting for her and not because fans and viewers wanted her to make the squad. To me, the fan vote was like a high school prom queen vote.

I think the first girl who ever got cut quickly was Carla Ann because her ex-boyfriend sent her naughty pictures to Kelli and Judy. She was probably brought in for a cut and to make an example of what happens when naughty pictures of a girl can be brought to the attention of Judy, Kelli and Charlotte. I do not think she had a chance of making the squad, and I cannot believe she got more yes votes than the five one year vets who were cut at finals.

As I look back, Carla Ann thought Michelle Obama was the President, so I was stunned when they took her into camp.  I think they already had those photos and needed some drama.  

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, tinabee1967 said:

(Pro hair stylist hat back on) When you are doing blowouts all day on long hair, yours is going to get jacked up in a hurry. You will be sweaty and the front of your own hair will be a hot mess since the dryer nozzle is pointed in your general direction (Monty Python. :) )

it was the day before he did the makeovers and he was about to be on national/international tv, I doubt he didn't have time to do something with it. it always looks good during auditions.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

Jalyn's hair was lightened to the correct color. I just wish they added more brown to her final color formula, because it is still a little too brash.

You can lift color up to what is called a pale yellow blonde, but ONLY if the hair is healthy enough to handle it. Or, you will end up with this: 

Screenshot_20180821-152911_Instagram.jpg

Full body pose of Ryan Lochte.

Well, THAT certainly got my attention. ? The boy is cute as a bug, but dumber than a bag of hammers. ?

Thanks for your professional opinion...that's what I see is kind of brash...I couldn't quite place it.  The "noodle" hair is all out crazy!

And Lochte...did not ever mind seeing him at the pool or deck the few times my kids practice coincided. :)

Edited by Mardo2044
Typo
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, MrsEVH said:

My observations:

I think it was Taylor from A&M with the brace.  I saw another photo of her somewhere with the brace on.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

it was the day before he did the makeovers and he was about to be on national/international tv, I doubt he didn't have time to do something with it. it always looks good during auditions.

Yeah, who knows what happened. In his case I would just chalk it up to a bad hair day or off day, because he always looks great. Heck, half the time he looks prettier than the girls. ?

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, tinabee1967 said:

Yeah, who knows what happened. In his case I would just chalk it up to a bad hair day or off day, because he always looks great. Heck, half the time he looks prettier than the girls. ?

Like on this day:

• Love 9
3 hours ago, tinabee1967 said:

I think most newer cars (as in less than 10 years old) have alerts/warning lights for such things too.  I know my car can be quite obnoxious when something like that is wrong. 

• Love 2