Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: Getting the DCC Look

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

Is it just me or does Judy seem very quiet the last few seasons?  I mean she still says they are "messy" or "you made a lot of mistakes". But other than that she has had very few comments when a girl is being cut other than..."she's pretty".  A couple times I've heard her say something along the lines of "I never saw what others saw in her". but again, that was always after a decision was made.  Unlike Kitty who breezes in every season and says...cut this girl because of this, that girl because of that etc. 

Even though Judy is always present during any discussions I rarely hear any substantial comments from her like she did during the first several seasons. 

• Love 5
On 9/7/2018 at 9:51 AM, VintageJ said:

I have never had a weave in my life.  I don’t wear wigs.  I put one on one day and went to DC on the mall.  I was so miserable!  It was hot and itchy.  As SOON as I got home, I threw it away.  LOL!  Anyway, for me, I have locs which would be perfect (for me) in my opinion.  I can still do the hair flips, I can curl, cut or color it.  It’s long so if they wanted to, they could basically still put it in a DCC style.  If it rains, no problem!  

I actually could see them preferring braids or locs (depending on the type) to loose, natural hair for the AA girls, precisely because as you said, the ability for hair flips, etc is still there. I think the one reason why we won't see it because I think there is a reasonable fear among the AA girls that if they don't have a conventional DCC hairstyle (long, wavy, curls), then they may get cut on the front end. I would probably do the same if I were in their shoes.  I would probably go for a weave if I were on the team as well. I have long hair and can achieve the DCC wavy look pretty easily with not too much heat, but there's no way it would hold all game. After several hours of sweating, my hair would would be in springy ringlets lol.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LynneH said:

Is it just me or does Judy seem very quiet the last few seasons?  I mean she still says they are "messy" or "you made a lot of mistakes". But other than that she has had very few comments when a girl is being cut other than..."she's pretty".  A couple times I've heard her say something along the lines of "I never saw what others saw in her". but again, that was always after a decision was made.  Unlike Kitty who breezes in every season and says...cut this girl because of this, that girl because of that etc. 

Even though Judy is always present during any discussions I rarely hear any substantial comments from her like she did during the first several seasons.

So true. Remember when she would kind of yell at the girls, even a few years she would say, “I hate your feet” or “I am so tired of telling you that you are rushing."

• Love 2

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way, but I hate it that women of color feel like their hair isn't okay and it has to be transformed into something else.  I asked a girl at Walmart if it hurt to have her braids put in (because they looked very tight) and she said yes.   P.S.  I have crummy hair too.

• Love 7

I think I heard that Judy suffers from chronic pain. I don't know what from but it makes sense if true. There are times when she looks uncomfortable and just plain physically unhappy (and not just because she wore the wrong shoes on a hot night). That might be one reason she's not so chatty in recent years.

• Love 2

I know that I never had my own dance studio at home (I had to make do with practicing in the yard), but I just came across this video (it's two teenagers who competed on this season of World of Dance). Their home dance studio is the garage. There's a small wooden floor, mirrors along one side, and a mat for practicing tricks (skip the first minute which is just an intro). There's still a certain amount of privilege even in a very modest home studio like that (not everyone has an extra room in the house that their parents are willing to give up - imagine if you lived in a two bedroom apartment with your parents and siblings and suggested that you get to use one of the rooms for your dance studio!), but this one is definitely not super fancy.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know that I never had my own dance studio at home (I had to make do with practicing in the yard), but I just came across this video (it's two teenagers who competed on this season of World of Dance). Their home dance studio is the garage. There's a small wooden floor, mirrors along one side, and a mat for practicing tricks (skip the first minute which is just an intro). 

I've been following both Sean Lew and Kaycee Rice for several years.  Both are extremely talented and seem to have their heads screwed on right.  They each also have access to several dance studios in the L.A. area since each often assist some of the top instructors in town.  I hope they continue to work together.  Aside from making a great team, they also individually enjoy success while appearing to remain humble & grateful for the opportunities that have come their way.

On 9/11/2018 at 5:07 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know that I never had my own dance studio at home (I had to make do with practicing in the yard), but I just came across this video (it's two teenagers who competed on this season of World of Dance). Their home dance studio is the garage. There's a small wooden floor, mirrors along one side, and a mat for practicing tricks (skip the first minute which is just an intro). There's still a certain amount of privilege even in a very modest home studio like that (not everyone has an extra room in the house that their parents are willing to give up - imagine if you lived in a two bedroom apartment with your parents and siblings and suggested that you get to use one of the rooms for your dance studio!), but this one is definitely not super fancy.

To me this is the equivalent of having a basketball hoop in your drive way. Not super fancy, but definitly fortunate to have that extra space and equipment. My grands lived next door and built us a barre and had mirrors there, because they had the space and wanted an extra reason for us to hang out there more. But yeah, I get it. They grew up in a tiny house with a lot more kids, so no space to do anything extra inside. Money always gives an advantage. 

I was re-watching this episode & when Victoria said, "Everything's bigger in Texas" it finally hit me who VK reminds me of.  I have a dear friend who was born & raised in Texas. She's blonde, has the same outsized personality & they look like they could be sisters. I might have seen it earlier if my friend hadn't cut off her Texas sized locks. :)

2 minutes ago, Sister Tab said:

I was re-watching this episode & when Victoria said, "Everything's bigger in Texas" it finally hit me who VK reminds me of.  I have a dear friend who was born & raised in Texas. She's blonde, has the same outsized personality & they look like they could be sisters. I might have seen it earlier if my friend hadn't cut off her Texas sized locks. :)

Yes, everything's bigger in Texas, but your stomach shouldn't be

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Sister Tab said:

To me she reminds me of the Barbara Jean character from Reba.

• Love 6
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, Stan39 said:

At some point, I think you have to trust the girl. If you want to kick her off for being late, fine, but if not you just make a note of it and move on. I’m sure Kelli has better things to do than to go out into the parking lot and check a taillight. And all these girls are terrified of Kelli, anyway. Kristen doesn’t seem like somebody who’d lie. 

And I live in Texas. Highway patrol is awful. There are speed traps everywhere and cops pulling people over who are barely speeding. I can’t imagine having to commute 50 miles to work down here. That could take an hour or several hours depending on traffic, accidents, construction. And you never know before you leave. 

My sister lives in Addison, and commutes to North Dallas for work three days a week. Her drive can take up to an hour to an hour and a half each time.

Edited by Muckypup61
wrong topic for this post. sorry

Does anyone but me want to see some DCCs with short hair? I know there's been a few here and there in the past; but I've seen other NFL squads that have women with short hair, and it looks awesome. I know, I know! Big hair for flipping is a DCC thing; but still...!

• Love 6
On 9/14/2018 at 4:53 PM, Sister Tab said:

I guess that Texas stereotype is somewhat true then. They definitely push it on the show. Every season some girl says, “the bigger the hair the better,” regarding Texas.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Muckypup61 said:

Does anyone but me want to see some DCCs with short hair? I know there's been a few here and there in the past; but I've seen other NFL squads that have women with short hair, and it looks awesome. I know, I know! Big hair for flipping is a DCC thing; but still...!

I would LOVE to see some with short hair! There are a few that would rock it :) 

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:45 AM, Kayce said:

I would LOVE to see some with short hair! There are a few that would rock it :) 

The only 3 I remember are Jordan Baum, Anne Lux, (their rookie seasons) and Teri.

• Love 1

Holly P has some clips in her insta story of her messing around and dancing DCC choreo (part of Thunderstruck). It's insane how good she looks. It's just a reminder of how strong a dancer she is, and that she really was too good for DCC. 

Edited by autumdusk
  • Love 4
On 10/6/2018 at 8:14 PM, autumdusk said:

Holly P has some clips in her insta story of her messing around and dancing DCC choreo (part of Thunderstruck). It's insane how good she looks. It's just a reminder of how strong a dancer she is, and that she really was too good for DCC. 

One minute you're performing Thunderstruck in the Cowboys' stadium the next in a random parking lot.  Le sigh. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, LaurenBrook said:

One minute you're performing Thunderstruck in the Cowboys' stadium the next in a random parking lot.  Le sigh. 

Don't be sad. I have faith that the best is yet to come for Holly.

• Love 3