Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E05: Getting the DCC Look

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, mmm said:

almost every girl that end leaving & having control over their look end looking much better than their awful and outdated hair & especially make up. 

And oddly they seem to have better control over their weight.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DCC.Style.fan said:

The car is no big deal. Maybe its a late graduation gift.  I got a new car for Christmas when I was 17. My dad had a good year in business.  I might have been a little spoiled but it was my parents doing not mine. Was I supposed to say, Mom & Dad, no thank you. I do not accept this car as I have not earned it.  lol   

I think Lauren looks so beautiful this year!

I'll agree to disagree- getting a brand new car gifted as a teen (referring to  above post re VK)  is a big deal -IMO.  Not that one should say no to it of course or feel guilt at all  -but that is NOT the same as minimizing that it is a big deal and a great gift to get. 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Kayce said:

She didn't finish out her rookie season.   I don't know if she was released or left on her own but she  did not receive a rookie pinky ring...I do know that.  

Really?? WOW! I never knew that.

2 minutes ago, jlc said:

Really?? WOW! I never knew that.

I remember she was in a car accident....I think before becoming a DCC.  But she had a neck injury and maybe that kept her from working out like she wanted to.  Rumor was she gained weight and was cut.

30 minutes ago, Rubyslippahz said:

I'll agree to disagree- getting a brand new car gifted as a teen (referring to  above post re VK)  is a big deal -IMO.  Not that one should say no to it of course or feel guilt at all  -but that is NOT the same as minimizing that it is a big deal and a great gift to get. 

agreed. spending 21k+ on anything is a big deal, let alone a first time car for a teenager, especially as that makes insurance more expensive as the car is worth more and its rarely the teen paying for that either.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

agreed. spending 21k+ on anything is a big deal, let alone a first time car for a teenager, especially as that makes insurance more expensive as the car is worth more and its rarely the teen paying for that either.

Forget the car. Who has a dance studio in their house?!

• Love 3

I just watched the episode, and I like Dayton.  At first blush it seems she might be relying on her legacy status to get her through.  I don't think that's totally the case, and she really seems to want to be a DCC. Being late in TC has gotten girls cut before, so I think Dayton is on thin ice. With her mom a part of the organization, being late to the makeovers is inexcusable.  She knows the drill and she knows the traffic situation in the Dallas area. She should have made darn sure she made her appointment on time. I'm not sure if she's just bad at organizing her time, it's a sign of her youthfulness, or if somewhere inside she truly believes she can be a tad bit cavalier and still make the squad.  But I have empathy for her and her position.

I didn't think Kelli meant "burden" in the negative sense when talking about Dayton at the salon. I think she meant it in the sense of watching out for someone while trying hard not showing partiality, and the tightrope of shepherding Dayton while working with her mom. That's gotta be tough.

Victoria gets on my nerves, big time. She just seems very cheeky and entitled. But that may just be a big personality, and we're only seeing her in small clips. So I'm just writing it off as a personality clash.

Gabby is totally impressing me, and I think she's adorable!

I loved seeing the vets, including the one I didn't know! Excellent! And since its a big topic of conversation, I thought Jacie's hair looked amazing, but I also liked her DCC look.

I think it's hard to smack down Kristen for a busted brake light. It's not like she's also running behind her car while she's driving!  People usually only know that after a cop has pulled them over to inform them. 

GREAT to see Courtney! Love this segment of checking in with past DCCs!

Edited by KatebytheSea
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, TexasBorn said:

Some of the girls that they've featured are shown in their home dancing in a spare bedroom with mirrors on the closet door and the rug taken out.  I remember Abigail doing that.  Or you seen them in a room with not a lot of furniture dancing on the rug which probably messes with their turns.  Is it really that expensive to create some type of space?  If you aren't lucky enough to have mirrors on the closet and you may want to put in a bar - not the kind for alcohol though, darn:)

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, TexasBorn said:

almost everyone I ever grew up with skating. its not difficult or particularly expensive to convert a spare room or part of a basement into a dance space. some dance flooring, some mirrors, a barre and you're essentially there. easy to convert a garage or extension, but pricer. its no different to someone having a play room or craft room or *shudder* man cave in their house

Edited by CaseyRe
  • Love 5
17 minutes ago, TexasBorn said:

I know of a lot of girls who do - all it really takes is some mirrors and well attached step rail in an empty space.   You don’t have to be as wealthy as you think.

• Love 1
On 9/1/2018 at 12:29 PM, Loves2Dance said:

At this point, they should expect Brennan to know every dance they teacher except anything new for the season. Girl made it to the end of training camp and once she decided to try again, I bet continued to practice throughout the year. 

I took the comment to mean that the group was a hot mess except for Brennan. 

I didn’t realize that the dance “Power” is a retread from last year.  Had Brennan not performed it deftly, it would have been bad for her.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

I know of a lot of girls who do - all it really takes is some mirrors and well attached step rail in an empty space.   You don’t have to be as wealthy as you think.

Got it! Thanks y'all for the explanation.

12 minutes ago, NotthebadVictoria said:

What about Sasha Agent?

Didn't Jackie Bob have her hair natural for her rookie season? pretty sure it was weave thereafter, but I thought ti was natural for rookie.  if that was Sasha's natural hair, dang girl got blessed by the hair gods because it was gorgeous

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TexasBorn said:
1 hour ago, CaseyRe said:

I bought my kid a 2001 in 2014 to drive back and forth to college.  He was thankful and thrilled. It broke down a lot, and he sometimes had to drive late at night. So we replaced it with a stripped down new car for the same price as a more dependable older car. He was again thankful and thrilled. ANNNNNDDD...the insurance went down because of more safety features.  The total cost of ownership also went down.  We aren't rich, but my son drives a 2016 vehicle.  I drive a 2011.  True Story.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

- Agree.  I was hoping they'd take at least 6-8 inches off Dayton's hair to give it bounce.  I think it could be iconic Texas hair if she lopped off some length and took a Dyson and a round brush to it.  Sidebar has anyone tried the Dyson dryer and is it fabulous.  I need to know. 

- Also agree on the struggle bus.  I don't WANT to see the uncomfortable scenes in the office.  I'm critical but for gosh sakes I have a heart.  Those college years between 18-22 are so important.  Get out from under your parent's roof, learn how to live on your own and be responsible for yourself and THEN audition.  Both girls are just so young and I think that is part of where Kelli and Judy are having difficulty.  I think it's easy for us to forget VK is only 18 and only just graduated from high school.  I expected more from DB since she's 3 years older.

Sidebar - I have curly hair and the Dyson is it’s best friend.  Seriously happy I made the investment.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, DCCme said:

Sidebar - I have curly hair and the Dyson is it’s best friend.  Seriously happy I made the investment.

Aaaaahhhhh. I'm so intrigued!! I need to bite the bullet - I have straight hair with wavy zones around my forehead and behind my hair underneath. It looks lovely in the heat and humidity ? I've already sent 'I woke up like this' pictures to my co-workers because sometimes it will bunch right up into a peak and I look like a unicorn. But not in a good way.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, DCCme said:

As in, it makes your hair sleek?  Or it helps define the curls?  Cause my hair can be straight/sleek and frizzy/curly - all at the same time:/

3 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

As in, it makes your hair sleek?  Or it helps define the curls?  Cause my hair can be straight/sleek and frizzy/curly - all at the same time:/

Both - using the diffuser is great for making my curls look better than that ever have and when I want to go straight, I get sleek hair with no frizz.  For me it was worth every single penny.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Law Mom said:

My hairdresser used the Dyson on me last week and it was amazing but there is no way on God's green earth I am paying $400 for a blow dryer.

I've heard such amazing reviews, but I'm with you! $400 for hot air blasting at my hair???? Nooooo thank you! esp as someone who doesnt' blow dry her hair often!!

On 8/30/2018 at 7:24 PM, Stagecoach said:

Kristen said she had a tail light out but it was daytime. Maybe she meant brake light. She'll have to ask Kashara.

Smart, I didn't think of that. Better to tell the truth!

12 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

Didn't Jackie Bob have her hair natural for her rookie season? pretty sure it was weave thereafter, but I thought ti was natural for rookie.  if that was Sasha's natural hair, dang girl got blessed by the hair gods because it was gorgeous

I think so! And I agree.... Her’s is one of my all time favorites! 

2 hours ago, Annalisa said:

certain models and makes of car have their lights come on automatically regardless of time of day (for example, here, Volvos lights are on the moment engine comes on), in which case she''d have a tail light out visible and she might have just gotten confused and figured it was a light at the back, and so tail light because seh was flustered at being late. doesn't mean she was lying

• Love 3
On 9/4/2018 at 11:06 AM, Preity said:

I miss getting to see more of the comeback girls. I’d love to see more of how Erin has improved for example. I also still have no clue who some of the rookie candidates are. I know I’ve seen them, but I’ve already forgotten about them. 

I think Erin’s storyline would have been the most interesting out of all the comeback girls throughout they years. She was the 1st cut last year and quite frankly, she seemed completely helpless. I can’t believe someone with no power & the first cut could come back and kick ass from the beginning, sp i’d rather catch up with her instead of getting multiple shots with VK screaming and acting like a child.

On 9/4/2018 at 5:33 PM, RedDelicious said:

- Agree.  I was hoping they'd take at least 6-8 inches off Dayton's hair to give it bounce.  I think it could be iconic Texas hair if she lopped off some length and took a Dyson and a round brush to it.  Sidebar has anyone tried the Dyson dryer and is it fabulous.  I need to know. 

- Also agree on the struggle bus.  I don't WANT to see the uncomfortable scenes in the office.  I'm critical but for gosh sakes I have a heart.  Those college years between 18-22 are so important.  Get out from under your parent's roof, learn how to live on your own and be responsible for yourself and THEN audition.  Both girls are just so young and I think that is part of where Kelli and Judy are having difficulty.  I think it's easy for us to forget VK is only 18 and only just graduated from high school.  I expected more from DB since she's 3 years older.

They are not “young” as they are not the first 18/21 y.o in tcc ever. GL1 Lacey started at 18 too. I definitely think that both need real life experience, but we got many superstars at 18-22 and I don’t think they should raise the age limit because of a few immature girls.

btw of course an 18 y.o isn’t expected to be fully matured and professional, but this isn’t sorority recruitment. If you made it itno tc and can’t be there on time or can’t restrain yourself, then you have no business being there.

19 hours ago, rose711 said:

To me there is a massive difference between being shown as a spoiled or privileged girl if that’s better and what Victoria is like in real life.

My point for the past few weeks is that I keep seeing the editors portraying Victoria in a negative way. It’s subtler than Dayton’s negative edit, because they only showed Victoria falling out of her turns at tryouts and not since then, but it’s still unfavorable.

I have no clue what she’s like in real life. I’m guessing she’s naturally boisterous while Dayton is naturally quiet. But I have no idea.

How is that unfavorable editing? She did fall out of her turns and yet everyone thought it was cute. Dayton looks fine whenever she’s not the focus and got praise, while VK is always out of control and yet only gets compliments on camera. Or how about the fact that even in auditions she was shown dancing into someone else’s space and that was somehow the other girl’s fault? Or that Dayton was scolded for being late even though as a legacy she knows the rules, while VK got a passing remark for her shape even though she has been training for this her whole life. Being late is stupid but happens to everyone,auditioning for dcc and keep gaining weight throughout the process is a deliberate. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, TexasBorn said:

Got it! Thanks y'all for the explanation.

That being said, wouldn’t be surprised if Victoria’s parents have something more than a converted spare room with some mirrors. She comes across as very privileged and spoiled. I wouldn’t be surprised if her parents recreated Kitty’s studio in their basement, complete with a shrine to Victoria with all her participation trophies and a mother-in-law suite for Kelli when she wants to come over and cry about how special victoria is. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

I think Erin’s storyline would have been the most interesting out of all the comeback girls throughout they years. She was the 1st cut last year and quite frankly, she seemed completely helpless. I can’t believe someone with no power & the first cut could come back and kick ass from the beginning, sp i’d rather catch up with her instead of getting multiple shots with VK screaming and acting like a child.

They are not “young” as they are not the first 18/21 y.o in tcc ever. GL1 Lacey started at 18 too. I definitely think that both need real life experience, but we got many superstars at 18-22 and I don’t think they should raise the age limit because of a few immature girls.

btw of course an 18 y.o isn’t expected to be fully matured and professional, but this isn’t sorority recruitment. If you made it itno tc and can’t be there on time or can’t restrain yourself, then you have no business being there.

How is that unfavorable editing? She did fall out of her turns and yet everyone thought it was cute. Dayton looks fine whenever she’s not the focus and got praise, while VK is always out of control and yet only gets compliments on camera. Or how about the fact that even in auditions she was shown dancing into someone else’s space and that was somehow the other girl’s fault? Or that Dayton was scolded for being late even though as a legacy she knows the rules, while VK got a passing remark for her shape even though she has been training for this her whole life. Being late is stupid but happens to everyone,auditioning for dcc and keep gaining weight throughout the process is a deliberate. 

I got used to reading edits from watching Survivor. The way I’m reading VKs edit is the editors are showing her negatively in a number of ways. The fact that other judges are shown being overly impressed compared to what is clearly shown in the screen also makes the judges and Kelli look bad. 

Let me explain it like this - they could easily have not shown any judge being negative or giving her maybes, not shown her dancing into another’s space, falling out of her turns, interrupting Kelly or talking about her home studio. Not to mention starting off the season showing her weight issues- which I thought was an issue the show shouldn’t have put on an 18 year old training camp candidate.

I’m not going to go into detail about edits. I’m just saying that many of the clips of her are not at all flattering or positive. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

I would love to hear Erin's story as well! Last year, the fact that she kept falling stunned me. I had not seen anything like this from a TCC before. Whatever she did over the last year, it worked because she's so much better now.

• Love 6
22 hours ago, mmm said:

Yeah, I am saying this needs to change as a whole bec it's gross. The Dallas Cowboys organization as a whole treats their employees very poorly and act like their opinions don't matter and that includes the players also.

P.S And check the former DCC thread almost every girl that end leaving & having control over their look end looking much better than their awful and outdated hair & especially make up. 

I agree with you.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, rose711 said:

I got used to reading edits from watching Survivor. The way I’m reading VKs edit is the editors are showing her negatively in a number of ways. The fact that other judges are shown being overly impressed compared to what is clearly shown in the screen also makes the judges and Kelli look bad. 

Let me explain it like this - they could easily have not shown any judge being negative or giving her maybes, not shown her dancing into another’s space, falling out of her turns, interrupting Kelly or talking about her home studio. Not to mention starting off the season showing her weight issues- which I thought was an issue the show shouldn’t have put on an 18 year old training camp candidate.

I’m not going to go into detail about edits. I’m just saying that many of the clips of her are not at all flattering or positive. 

I was literally just coming to say that its not just VK looking bad as a result of the editing, but personally Kelli (and to a slightly lesser extent the othr judges) is looking very unprofessional and biased this season. is she and other judges often somewhat biased once they decide they like a girl? yes, in some respects this is little different, BUT coming to VK she is coming across sooo unprofessional, and so biased that frankly she needs to not be in the room for decisions regarding VK. if Judy left for Cassie, Kelli should leave for VK if shes going to come across as biased as she is

ETA: also, this isn't the first time, at all sadly, that the show has talked about the weight of an 18 year old, so while I agree that its not really something that should be done, its not VK specific

Edited by CaseyRe
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

ETA: also, this isn't the first time, at all sadly, that the show has talked about the weight of an 18 year old, so while I agree that its not really something that should be done, its not VK specific

I don’t believe age is the issue. Dancers, especially professional dancers, have to look a certain way. They are beaten over the head with it from whenever they start dancing. Whether you are a ballet dancer, a member of Alvin Ailey, or an NFL cheerleader, your body is being featured. Is the dance world changing, opening up to different body types? I have no idea. Please someone chime in. But we do know that the DCC isn’t changing. At least right now.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rose711 said:

Yes in that sense I definitely agree with you. But I’m sure that’s what they’re doing every season to one or two “chosen” girls and sometimes it’s obvious that they are trying hard to make someone look bad. In this case they had a great storyline at the ready thanks to Kelli’s weird behavior. I honestly think that she would have been more professional if she was dealing with her own daughter instead. In almost all episodes so far we had at least one scene of Kelli acting like VK is the second coming of Jesus or something. Even in this ep. what was up with the iconic texas hair? A. Her hair looks exactly like 90% of the girls on the team the last 10 years or so and B. It’s full on extensions. Calm down woman. Even if VK was THAT good (which is debatable), no one can possibly argue that she’s the best talent the dcc has ever had so that over the top reaction is weird and cmt was right to capitalize on that.

1 hour ago, ATLGirl said:

I would love to hear Erin's story as well! Last year, the fact that she kept falling stunned me. I had not seen anything like this from a TCC before. Whatever she did over the last year, it worked because she's so much better now.

Exactly! I was impressed by Maddie’s transformation but that was mostly a personality thing. She came back so confident and mature. But Erin last year seemed like a terrible fit and that she couldn’t get the style and she is just as good as the rest of the rookies who have power pom experience. Good for her!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, CaseyRe said:

certain models and makes of car have their lights come on automatically regardless of time of day (for example, here, Volvos lights are on the moment engine comes on), in which case she''d have a tail light out visible and she might have just gotten confused and figured it was a light at the back, and so tail light because seh was flustered at being late. doesn't mean she was lying

I never meant to imply that Kristin was lying. I saw that it was a bright sunny day through the window and it seems like a cop would have to really be looking hard core or being very nit picky even if the light is supposed to be on. There are a lot of times in  bright sunlight that you couldn't tell if it is on or not. But my guess is brake light. I still would have brought the warning in to show Kelli.

13 minutes ago, PBSLover said:

I don’t believe age is the issue. Dancers, especially professional dancers, have to look a certain way. They are beaten over the head with it from whenever they start dancing. Whether you are a ballet dancer, a member of Alvin Ailey, or an NFL cheerleader, your body is being featured. Is the dance world changing, opening up to different body types? I have no idea. Please someone chime in. But we do know that the DCC isn’t changing. At least right now.

the issue iwth the 'dance world' is that its made up of countless little worlds of their own all of which favour a particular 'ideal' body type AND that will also vary from country to country as body types are generally different country to country - for instance the classic english body type is shorter, a little stockier, prone to be a little heavier, while a swedish woman might be taller, a little more slim built, and while, yes, by and large, some change is happening, it can be glacial and it always starts at the fringes with the core of that world remaining pretty tight to its ideal.

for instance the ballet world. the entire 'ideal' ballet body is based off only one dancer. her body type became the ideal but it wasn't until the 1960s(ish) that the obsession with the skinny ballerina became near cult like. if your body didn't fit into that and couldnt' be forced into that, forget it. Blame Balanchine (and many do) but it's also different from country to country - the ideal russian ballerina will not be the same as the ideal american or the ideal french.  It was considered that an in shape ballerina had to always be hungry. you just had to see how far you could go before passing out.  it's only really in the last 5ish years that ballet has started, as an art, to really consider the health of the dancers, of their emotional and mental wellbeing, and about the deeply unhealthy body that it was promoting, and while some reports are favourable that this has been improving things, there are just as many reports that absolutely nothing has changed, that the academy or house will pay lip service to promoting health in their ballerinas, while enforcing 300cal meals 2x a day as a safe way to maintain weight.  also, while the body type ideals might have relaxed somewhat in terms of getting into the corps, if you want that prima status, you know full well you better be that nymph like 'ideal'.  (sorry, my pilates teacher is a former first soloist with the Royal Ballet and i've picked her brains on this multiple times, she and some of her cohorts would be surprised by the differences in each others diets - one of the other soloists was russian and her diet was so tiny and strict in comparison to J's which was already strict it was crazy)

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Annalisa said:

I highly doubt Kristen wasn’t telling the truth... I didn’t realize tail lights and brake lights were two different things. ?

11 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

the issue iwth the 'dance world' is that its made up of countless little worlds of their own all of which favour a particular 'ideal' body type AND that will also vary from country to country as body types are generally different country to country - for instance the classic english body type is shorter, a little stockier, prone to be a little heavier, while a swedish woman might be taller, a little more slim built, and while, yes, by and large, some change is happening, it can be glacial and it always starts at the fringes with the core of that world remaining pretty tight to its ideal.

for instance the ballet world. the entire 'ideal' ballet body is based off only one dancer. her body type became the ideal but it wasn't until the 1960s(ish) that the obsession with the skinny ballerina became near cult like. if your body didn't fit into that and couldnt' be forced into that, forget it. Blame Balanchine (and many do) but it's also different from country to country - the ideal russian ballerina will not be the same as the ideal american or the ideal french.  It was considered that an in shape ballerina had to always be hungry. you just had to see how far you could go before passing out.  it's only really in the last 5ish years that ballet has started, as an art, to really consider the health of the dancers, of their emotional and mental wellbeing, and about the deeply unhealthy body that it was promoting, and while some reports are favourable that this has been improving things, there are just as many reports that absolutely nothing has changed, that the academy or house will pay lip service to promoting health in their ballerinas, while enforcing 300cal meals 2x a day as a safe way to maintain weight.  also, while the body type ideals might have relaxed somewhat in terms of getting into the corps, if you want that prima status, you know full well you better be that nymph like 'ideal'.  (sorry, my pilates teacher is a former first soloist with the Royal Ballet and i've picked her brains on this multiple times, she and some of her cohorts would be surprised by the differences in each others diets - one of the other soloists was russian and her diet was so tiny and strict in comparison to J's which was already strict it was crazy)

Lauren Anderson with the Houston Ballet is one of my favorite ballerinas of all time. Not only is she African American, she’s also curvy and definitely thicker than your typical ballerina. She has muscles and looks fit and strong. I idolized her growing up, and cried when she retired.

1 hour ago, Paul Healy said:

First post hi to all What's everyone thought's on Gina? She is my favourite out of all the current DCC now

Gina is controversial on these boards.... I’m a huge fan. Got to meet her several times in person and spent time chatting... she’s delightful and gracious. Was wonderful with my kids. A few insiders here have said she’s loved by her teammates and is a team player this year. She’s a powerhouse dancer

• Love 11
On 9/4/2018 at 12:01 PM, Law Mom said:

Is getting a VW when you are 18 spoiled? Hahaha, go drive around the student parking at SMU then get back to me.

Where I live, most of the kids at the local HS drive BMW's, Mercedes, F150's etc. This day in age, it's insane what kids get.

21 hours ago, TexasBorn said:

My daughter had 2 friends with dance studios in their homes. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, rose711 said:

I actually think CMT is trying to edit it that she’s a good dancer. They’re BARELY showing her dance, probably because she’s all over the place, and keep using other people’s comments about her to show her off. In Kitty’s studio all we saw was Kitty hugging her. CMT has a close relationship to Kelli and the Cowboys. I doubt they want to film things to make them look stupid. I think Kelli and Judi really are delusional and CMT is doing the best with what they have. They keep showing the mom, I think they want us to believe she really has a chance and is America’s sweetheart. 

The same exact thing happened with Cassie. That wasn’t CMT trying to make Cassie look bad, that was the viewer watching with their own eyes and realizing the BS and nepotism that was going on. 

5 minutes ago, PrincessLeia said:

I highly doubt Kristen wasn’t telling the truth... I didn’t realize tail lights and brake lights were two different things. ?

Lauren Anderson with the Houston Ballet is one of my favorite ballerinas of all time. Not only is she African American, she’s also curvy and definitely thicker than your typical ballerina. She has muscles and looks fit and strong. I idolized her growing up, and cried when she retired.

LA was a phenomenal dancer. I've never seen her in a live performance, but I remember seeing a video of her and one of my fave male dancers Carlos Acosta in Don Quijote and talk about power couple! 

For me, growing up skating, I was all about Surya Bonaly, a french skater, very strong, seen as definitely thicker than the average skater, and man did that muscular build ever give her some serious power and watching her land a backflip on one blade was always heart stopping. she was the first female skater to ever attempt a quad and even though she didn't quite manage the rotation, seeing that door bbeing opened was insane. such a graceful woman off and on the ice

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, CaseyRe said:

LA was a phenomenal dancer. I've never seen her in a live performance, but I remember seeing a video of her and one of my fave male dancers Carlos Acosta in Don Quijote and talk about power couple! 

For me, growing up skating, I was all about Surya Bonaly, a french skater, very strong, seen as definitely thicker than the average skater, and man did that muscular build ever give her some serious power and watching her land a backflip on one blade was always heart stopping. she was the first female skater to ever attempt a quad and even though she didn't quite manage the rotation, seeing that door bbeing opened was insane. such a graceful woman off and on the ice

We must be about the same age.... I’ll never forget watching Bonaly attempt that quad and loved seeing her do the back flip at the figure skating exhibition at the end of the Olympics. 

I was at Lauren’s finale of the Nutcracker. Sob. 

• Love 5
Just now, PrincessLeia said:

We must be about the same age.... I’ll never forget watching Bonaly attempt that quad and loved seeing her do the back flip at the figure skating exhibition at the end of the Olympics. 

I was at Lauren’s finale of the Nutcracker. Sob. 

awww man, I would have loved to see Lauren live, let alone in the Nutcracker.  must have been one hell of a performance!  such poise, and so beautiful.  I've only ever seen stills of her performance in Firebird, but dang she looks gorgeous in every single one.  as a complete personal preference, I much prefer to see dancers (of whatever ilk) look strong and fit, than skinny and ethereal. now obviously there are some women out there that just have that naturally very petite ethereal body type, but they're not the majority and I feel you can generally tell the difference between a girl that is naturally of a size and a girl that has to starve to get to that size.  which is why I think so many of the DCC (nd other dancers) have so little issue with maintaining a weight post-career because their body gets to be a bit larger, a bit more what it wants to be, they're not fighting against being too slim and so they look happier because they're healthier. 

You can pretty much point at any TCC or vet thats been released for weight and there'd be me going 'man alive, I would be thrilled to have that figure BUT in terms of DCC and a yard of fabric, they're 'large'.  I feel sorry for the girls ont he show, because it must be embarrassing enough to be called into the office about your weight, but to have it done on international television...no thank you please. that said, if it meant I didn't hear people tell me i looked fat on an immense HD screen...maybe I'd learn to be okay with it...maybe

• Love 2
On 9/1/2018 at 1:07 PM, CaseyRe said:

any trained stylist can give you what's popular, a good stylist will take what you've asked for or a picture you've used as an example and take that as inspiration and make it work on your face shape and length.  Different face shapes suit slightly different cuts.  a good stylist can adapt it to suit you better

That is so true.  For years I wore my hair in a between chin and shoulder length bob but I had to abuse with a straightener because otherwise it looked like I had a pyramid on my head.  Then one day I went to a great stylist who talked me into allowing her to put a few long layers in and it was a game changer.  It doesn't look like I have layers because they blend so well and I not longer am a pyramid head.

About the makeovers, At least they're never as bad as some of Tyra Banks' makeovers on America's Top Model!

Edited by Pink-n-Green
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I loved her last year and love her this year.  She is very talented and has a killer body too.

I've gone from loathing her last year - found her very arrogant and she rubbed me right the wrong way, to being indifferent to her this year.  she smiles more and seems more warm to people and so maybe this time next year I'll love her! stranger things have happened!  Lauren is still my favourite of the first year vets though!

• Love 2

sometimes parents get teens a car that could actully be a gift to the parents. No more running around taking them places, no more school bus issues, no more discussing how much gas is left, what station was the radio on, when you're coming back, etc.

And sometimes the teens car is the parents older car - which mean a new(er) car for them.

• Love 4
Just now, Pink-n-Green said:

That is so true.  For years I wore my hair in a between chin and shoulder length bob but I had to abuse with a straightener because otherwise it looked like I had a pyramid on my head.  Then one day I went to a great stylist who talked me into allowing her to put a few long layers in and it was a game changer.  It doesn't look like I have layers because they blend so well and I not longer am a pyramid head.

About the makeovers, t least they're never as bad as some of Tyra Banks' makeovers on America's Top Model!

Oh lord don't get me started.  I only saw a few seasons right at the very beginning, but I swear half the makeovers were for pure shock value and not to make a girl's features be enhanced to their best.  it was like 'huh, that girl likes having long hair and it suits her, I know CHOP IT ALL OFF' for no good reason. fewer people can pull off the super short pixie than think they can, and so just doing it for the sake of it, or randomly giving a girl a mullet for 'fashion' seemed stupid. besides, isnt' a model meant to be moldable into whatever the designer wants? surely the more ridiculous the cut,t he harder that is to achieve. don't even mention the weaves of the fake beards on the guys

• Love 2