Type keyword(s) to search

Rest In Power: The Trayvon Martin Story - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm impressed that the producers of this documentary got interviews and commentary from the police and law enforcement. It feels very balanced--they do seem to be giving "the other side" fairly equal time.

The sight of George Zimmerman makes me physically ill. It absolutely kills me that he became a hero of the right, the NRA, and white supremacists. The fact that he is part Afro-Latino allows them to feel that they are not hateful racists. 

Watching the testimony of Rachel Jeantel was infuriating. Hearing from Trayvon's aviation teacher was another devastating moment. And the pain of Trayvon's parents is palpable. I admire them so much, and I'm just so sad for them. 

Edited by lovinbob
I didn't finish a sentence and don't remember what I was trying to say!
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, lovinbob said:

I'm impressed that the producers of this documentary got interviews and commentary from the police and law enforcement. It feels very balanced--they do seem to be giving "the other side" fairly equal time, and they are not .

The sight of George Zimmerman makes me physically ill. It absolutely kills me that he became a hero of the right, the NRA, and white supremacists. The fact that he is part Afro-Latino allows them to feel that they are not hateful racists. 

Ditto. He is so disgusting, and knowing he never gets what he deserves makes it worse.

• Love 3

The thing that surprises me most about watching this doc is seeing how inept the prosecution was. Much like in the OJ trial, it seems everything that could go wrong did go wrong.  I'm left wondering did they do ANY prep work with any of their witnesses.  Watching that trainwreck of a performance by the medical examiner was really hard.  And apparantly he changed his opinion about what happened 3 weeks before the trial?  I just can't.

• Love 8

Good grief, the prosecution was a mess; they all but granted Zimmerman his freedom. What's more infuriating, it appears that they didn't even try to prove his guilt.

Zimmerman is trash. I am still waiting for him to feel Karma's wrath.

Edited by sereion
  • Love 6
On 9/3/2018 at 1:35 PM, FuriousStyles said:

The thing that surprises me most about watching this doc is seeing how inept the prosecution was. Much like in the OJ trial, it seems everything that could go wrong did go wrong.  I'm left wondering did they do ANY prep work with any of their witnesses.  Watching that trainwreck of a performance by the medical examiner was really hard.  And apparantly he changed his opinion about what happened 3 weeks before the trial?  I just can't.

This is has been so infuriating and heartbreaking. The prosecution looked liked they'd never been in a trial or courtroom before.

I just want to hug Trayvon's parents every time I see them on screen.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Ray Adverb said:

Why is it titled "Rest in Power"?

His parents wrote a book with that title that was released last year. From my understanding they used rest in power as Trayvon's death was a symbol of a social injustice that bought forth a lot of activism not just within themselves but around the world and they hope even in death he continues to have an impact on gun violence.

Edited by crazychicken
spelling
  • Love 1

Watching the final part right now. "Et Tu, America" couldn't have been a more perfect title.

The footage of the whitelash that followed the BLM movement and that goddamn election...no words. Just flames on the side of my face.

Zimmerman sure dropped the Dudley DoRight bullshit fast after the verdict, didn't he? When I saw him trending on Twitter this weekend and my first thought (hope) was he was either dead or in jail. Unfortunately, he just threatened Beyonce. Piece of SHIT.

I hope Trayvon is in a much better place than here.

• Love 6

Finally got a chance to finish watching the series.

I was simultaneously amused and infuriated at the guy who couldn’t explain why the confederate flag wasn’t about slavery or racism. ‘I’m not a historian’. What tf ever dude.

This was a very enlightening series not only about the Travon Martin trial but America in general.

• Love 2