Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/11/2018 at 8:02 AM, Empress1 said:

Laugh out loud moments:

• The whole self-defense session

I agree with your highlights but, Marty and "But mamma, I'm your baby." to Tina as she incited Gemma to violence almost made me pee my pants.

Edited by red12
  • Love 3

I’m starting to like this show less and less. The last episode I watched was the preachy god one where it was apparently OK to hate someone cause they don’t believe in god. I don’t like the Mom Butler anymore.

The thanksgiving episode was crap. 

Grover is a piece of shit and bad actor.

I might have to quit watching this show not enjoying it anymore.

• Love 1

They maybe need to dig deeper into the culture clash and take it more realistically. More depth, more backstory to the characters.  Another show that doesn't know what to do with young children. If they can't write a decent scene for Grover, they need to recast the part with a child actor who has the chops or cuteness to hold the audience's attention on his own. Meanwhile, keep smiling, Dave . He reminds me of Phil on Modern Family and Adam on Rules of Engagement (both naive cheerleaders in school).

I guess I missed the part where they decided he was king.  When they first talked about playing, they were going to be knights slaying the dragon, and Grover was "Sir Grover", which also made me think knight.  I apparently glossed over the crown part -- probably because I was more listening than watching.  Until Marty made his entrance and subsequent death scene as the dragon.  Both of which were great.

• Love 1
On 12/11/2018 at 1:06 PM, Dee said:

"Nobody wants your Skechers, Dave!"

Is it me or would DavesSkechers be a hilarious screen name on this site?

I’d also use it in a heartbeat as an email address when anonymity is preferred. 

• Love 3
On 12/19/2018 at 12:43 PM, icemiser69 said:

Grover is an asshole of epic proportions, he needs to learn some respect

I may be giving this show too much credit, but I HOPE they are setting it up that Gover needs Cedric's firm handedness and honesty to balance out Dave and Gemma's overly positive parenting style.

Remember the very first episode?  Dave was playing catch and constantly told Grover he was amazing.  

When Cedric played catch with him, he told Grover "You're not good yet.  But if you want to work at it you can get better."

Grover seemed to appreciate that.

This would be a great dynamic for the show to explore.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 4
On 10/9/2018 at 11:02 AM, possibilities said:

That was A LOT of water in that basement. All I could think about was that they needed a pump to get it out of there, and some serious dry-it-the-hell-out-fast action to prevent mold. But I realize that was extraneous to the point of the episode, and is just my personal axe.

And if the leak was in the basement, why did they have to make a hole in the wall in the kitchen?  

Nice moment of when Calvin apologizes to Gemma his referencing his relationship with his grandfather with the implication that he relates to Grover like a grandpa to a grandson. It's sweet he was trying to impress him and have fun and spoil him like a grandpa does. It's interesting that Tina isn't hounding Malcolm and Marty for grandbabies but she may think she's too young for that.

On one hand Marty and Malcolm as young cute black men should have better things to do than babysit Grover in one episode and be the party game coordinators in this episode and yet I love that they like hanging with Grover and The Johnsons. They have a hybrid of fun uncles/big brother vibe with him that oddly works.

Tina and Gemma's conversation about being mothers of boys screams Gemma getting pregnant and having a girl if the show lasts long enough. 

• Love 4

Amazing that a Grover-centric episode wasn’t nearly as bad as it might have been!  Grover was actually tolerable in this one.  The tug-of-war game ended exactly as I expected it would, and I still laughed.  The knife-throwing, too, for that matter.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

"I don't have to go to work until Monday!" "I don't have a job!" That was my favorite exchange.

I absolutely agree with this.

And still, I want Malcolm to GET. A. JOB. He is perfect for being a gym teacher, coach or working his way up to counselor at the school where Jemma works. It's so obvious. I don't know why the writers insist on keeping the character jobless with seemingly no inclination to even look; especially after it was said that he had been jobless for 2 years. Where they do that at?

Boys & Girls club is probably hiring. Hell, let him work at the public school so they can bring the shoe stealing gang on to knock some sense into Grover. I would be on board with consequences of smart assery being brought to Grover courtesy of the thief with a heart of gold neighborhood kid.

I caught this episode since there was nothing else on. I was surprised at how funny I found it, especially as I thought the pilot was a dud. The knife throwing and tug war had me rolling. Dave and Calvin are hysterical together. Calvin showing the kids how to use the knife when zombies attacked while Dave was on watch was simply hilarious. You know just that Dave would be throwing that knife again.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Does Malcolm have a college degree?

They haven't stated it either way so, why not give him one?

The actor presents as a little bit older than I would imagine a player who went straight to the minors from high school and has only been out 2 years due to injury. This is especially true since his younger brother appears to be a college graduate with a job that matches a fictional degree. So, I find it plausible that Malcolm was successful at baseball in college and tried on to have a major league career. That dream was dashed and now he wants to coach the kids.

Hell, I'm even good with having him realize he wants to teach so, he needs a degree. They can have a story line involving getting back into studying when you didn't try that hard originally because you were a successful jock. That could be a bonding experience for him and Marty. Grover could even deliver sarcasm and a line about coping in school.

Or show him doing crazy unsatisfying odd jobs while trying to pay for classes and life in general. I just need this character to be assigned something other than couch surfing and occasional moral compassing for other characters.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, red12 said:

Or show him doing crazy unsatisfying odd jobs while trying to pay for classes and life in general.

Him doing some gig economy jobs and the family's response to that could be really funny.

• Love 2
On 1/15/2019 at 11:42 AM, red12 said:

And still, I want Malcolm to GET. A. JOB. He is perfect for being a gym teacher, coach or working his way up to counselor at the school where Jemma works. It's so obvious. I don't know why the writers insist on keeping the character jobless with seemingly no inclination to even look; especially after it was said that he had been jobless for 2 years. Where they do that at?

Ohio for one.  I've been part time at a restaurant for years looking for a full time job with my bachelor's degree.  No one wants to hire someone part time who obviously won't stick around; I can't get hired at BAM! Books.  I believe him being jobless for years.

• Love 3

I didn't think the Gemma/Tina stuff hit this week but I liked the fight night stuff. The biggest laugh from me was when Dave was talking about how there was nothing like a group of guys getting together to watch the fight and then saying "Oh my God! I almost double-dipped!" Also Calvin miming "Check!" when Dave said he liked one fighter's shorts. I also laughed when Calvin was dancing around in his draws.

• Love 4

Yeah, after the knife-at-the-birthday party incident, I fully expected another trip to the emergency room, especially the way they all were waving that chainsaw around.  I'm not a fan of chainsaws in the first place -- or really anything with an unprotected, moving blade.

What I really want to know is who went back up on the roof to get the chainsaw?  Or is it still up there?

For once, though, I enjoyed the guys' story better than Tina's and Gemma's story.  I *knew* Dave would stop himself before he double-dipped!

• Love 2
On 2/4/2019 at 9:14 PM, Morbs said:

Ohio for one.  I've been part time at a restaurant for years looking for a full time job with my bachelor's degree.  No one wants to hire someone part time who obviously won't stick around; I can't get hired at BAM! Books.  I believe him being jobless for years.

To be clear, I believe looking for a job is a full time job. My comment was not in regards to the results.  I want to see the character in the process of looking for a profession or behaving as if it's a priority vs. just entering scenes to make observations mostly about his father's behavior. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, red12 said:

To be clear, I believe looking for a job is a full time job. My comment was not in regards to the results.  I want to see the character in the process of looking for a profession or behaving as if it's a priority vs. just entering scenes to make observations mostly about his father's behavior. 

Gotcha, sorry if I came off harsh, I just get a lot of, "Well are you looking?" from strangers.  I'm late to the show so haven't seen all the eps, but they should do an episode about his struggles if they haven't already.  It's a bad stereotype to put out that that a black man is happy not working.  I know for me: it drives me nuts.  Thankfully I have these boards and Donkey Kong.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Morbs said:

Gotcha, sorry if I came off harsh, I just get a lot of, "Well are you looking?" from strangers.  I'm late to the show so haven't seen all the eps, but they should do an episode about his struggles if they haven't already.  It's a bad stereotype to put out that that a black man is happy not working.  I know for me: it drives me nuts.  Thankfully I have these boards and Donkey Kong.

I have experienced extended unemployment as well. I understand how taxing it can be and how even those with the best of intentions can trigger a negative reaction. Hopefully things will turn around for you soon. Hopefully the show's writers will recognize soon the opportunity they are missing by ignoring this hole in their plotting.

Edited by red12
  • Love 3
On 2/12/2019 at 10:57 AM, Kimmmmmm said:

I still hate Grover 

Is this child related to the showrunners or something?  I seriously can't believe out of all the child actors out there that he got selected for this role.  The kid is awful.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mansonlamps said:

Is this child related to the showrunners or something?  I seriously can't believe out of all the child actors out there that he got selected for this role.  The kid is awful.

Agreed!!!!!!!

I felt for Malcolm last ep, because some of those stores are really like that. I worked for a big box retailer for over 30 years, and there was a lot of pressure put on salespeople to sell protection plans and get people to sign up for credit cards. 

Gemma and Tina and their afternoon "tea" made me laugh, as did Grover and Gemma doing their Fortnite dance.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, red12 said:

Why was Calvin dressed like Rerun from "What's Happening!" in that purple outfit?

Malcolm was wearing purple, too.

So, Tina works at the shop. I had wondered if she had a job besides doing all the housework, including laundry for Marty, who has his own apartment!

11 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Malcolm was wearing purple, too.

So, Tina works at the shop. I had wondered if she had a job besides doing all the housework, including laundry for Marty, who has his own apartment!

It was the matching baret that really set off the Rerun flashback for me. I couldn't help but start a mini pop lock routine and point to the screen from the couch. 

Mr. red and I wondered about Tina having a life outside of the house too. Glad to see that resolved. 

We also wonder why they don't give Grover a kid or small crew in the neighborhood who befriends him. It's a good way to make that character more functional and Grover can be the subject of some jokes that might be seen as punching down if coming from an adult. 

• Love 4
On 2/27/2019 at 8:08 AM, icemiser69 said:

It is just painful watching Max Greenfield act on this series.

I think he was overplaying the "sincere nice-guy neighbor" role for several episodes but seems to be settling down. I'm even noticing some Schmidt-like line delivery, which is a good thing in my book. He's still too chipper when he says hi to Calvin when they are out in their yards though.

• Love 5

Completely comping the repair is nuts. They should have at least paid for the parts. A friends and family discount would have been appropriate and appreciated.

Loved when Tina quickly removed her earrings in prep for the fake fight. I do enjoy the relationship between Tina and Gemma. Also enjoyed an episode or so ago when they were testing out all those "as seen on TV" items.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Beezella said:

Completely comping the repair is nuts. They should have at least paid for the parts. A friends and family discount would have been appropriate and appreciated.

Loved when Tina quickly removed her earrings in prep for the fake fight. I do enjoy the relationship between Tina and Gemma. Also enjoyed an episode or so ago when they were testing out all those "as seen on TV" items.

Yes, Tina and Gemma have a nice, easygoing relationship. Tichina Arnold can do no wrong in my book, and I like Beth Behrs much more here than on 2 Broke Girls.

• Love 6
On 3/6/2019 at 1:51 PM, Gothish520 said:

Yes, Tina and Gemma have a nice, easygoing relationship. Tichina Arnold can do no wrong in my book, and I like Beth Behrs much more here than on 2 Broke Girls.

I've never liked Beth Behrs in anything but I adore her in this! I really enjoy this show 

• Love 1

There was something about the way Calvin turned away from the window and said "I could eat" when Tina asked if anyone wanted pancakes that made me laugh. Something about the way he moved was funny to me.

I was a little frustrated with Gemma taking to bed after the coach she fired snapped at her. I wanted her to toughen up a little bit. She's a relatively young, attractive principal and we do live in a sexist world - was this the first time someone suggested that she is where she is based on something other than merit? I'm Black and female - if I were going to stay home every time someone said something suspect or outright racist or sexist to me, I would never leave the house.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

So can we hire Malcolm to be the PE teacher at Gemma's school?

If his dad was so unhappy about having an unemployed son, why didn't he have Malcolm help out at his shop?