Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

Every time I see a commercial for this I think,  Are you kidding me?   So racism is hilarious now?   Reverse the races and say the exact same things.  Not so funny now?  

Hard pass.  Hope this show dies a painful death. 

• Love 12
On 8/30/2018 at 3:57 PM, emcmac87 said:

Oo I thought this was going to be about The Neighbors, the show with the aliens. I was so bummed when that got canceled. 

I loved that show. Anyway, this show is The Neighborhood. I'm going to ask for a title change now. 

• Love 1
On 8/30/2018 at 6:00 AM, Suzysite said:

Every time I see a commercial for this I think,  Are you kidding me?   So racism is hilarious now?   Reverse the races and say the exact same things.  Not so funny now?  

Hard pass.  Hope this show dies a painful death. 

Agreed. This show looks horrible, cliched, and poorly-acted. The premise isn't funny, inspired, or even very realistic. But it's on CBS, so it'll probably last at least a few seasons.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I loved that show. Anyway, this show is The Neighborhood. I'm going to ask for a title change now. 

Total reading comprehension fail. I’m sorry haha. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part. Lol 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, emcmac87 said:

Total reading comprehension fail. I’m sorry haha. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part. Lol 

Oh, this board was originally titled "The Neighbors" by mistake, but it's fixed now. No reading comprehension problem on your part.

Every time the commercial airs, my brain shorts out from the level of OMGWTF of horrifically unfunny, racist and stereotype-driven dialogue.  Then I sit and wonder how morally bankrupt the actors who took these roles are.  We all have bills to pay, but you also look yourself in the mirror.   The show is the opposite of The Jeffersons -- nobody is "movin on up".

• Love 6

Oof. I got 20 minutes into the first episode before I turned it off because white guy sits down to play chess with black guy, and white guy announces "I'm white." In chess, white goes first, which is an advantage. Not only is this joke loaded with unacknowledged entitlement, but, with better writers, it could have been funny if the white guy had said he'd be black. There'd be a pause with funny facial expressions. Then White Dave would explain [to the audience] it's because white goes first. Done right, that "joke" could go on awkwardly for several more lines about guests going first, the prowess of the two chess players, etc., hopefully ending with two girls taking over the game.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 10

The show is the opposite of The Jeffersons -- nobody is "movin on up".

The only thing that this ep didn't have was Cedric's character go all early George Jefferson and refer to the Johnsons as "honkies".  And that was probably the only good thing I can say about the show.  The show was just as bad as the previews made it out to be.

• Love 6

I saw the original commercial a few times (it was painful) and then thought I was going crazy when Max Greenfield showed up as the white guy -- but no! They recast after the pilot. So Max Greenfield & Beth Behrs signed on to this AFTER the pilot was shot. They fully knew what they were agreeing to.

• Love 3

My sister pointed out to me that this appears to be a reverse All In The Family.  I guess in a way it could be viewed that way, but I didn't like Archie Bunker, and I don't like this new show.  

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 1

It could have been a good show.  Maybe the west coast is very divided.

I have always lived in a diverse area and have friends of all races, religions and orientations.  We often ask if it's a (insert color) thing, (insert religion thing), or a (your crazy family thing)?  Nine times out of 10 it's a crazy family thing.  I was recently asked if my chicken and waffles is Italian style, white style or (my family name) style.  Ok so I make my fried chicken without bones and then you can actually eat the chicken with the waffles...................................................Sorry you don't have to cut around the bones.............................................Is that wrong?

They could have gone any number of ways just highlighting differences in culture.

On 9/8/2018 at 8:58 PM, meatball77 said:

We can just call it Gentrification is Funny . . . . .

But the white couple's kid said they bought the house because they couldn't afford anything more.  So this is the hood?  Pretty nice houses.

• Love 5

For everybody claiming to be such a close knit community, I was surprised that the black guy acted like he had never been inside of the house that was right next door.

Beth Behrs was a sexy surprise.

Edited by AnimeMania
Comment about how sexy Beth Behrs is.
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, jumper sage said:

But the white couple's kid said they bought the house because they couldn't afford anything more.  So this is the hood?  Pretty nice houses.

It's supposed to be LA, right? LA is crazy expensive (their sticker shock coming from the midwest would be huge). Black neighborhoods are often valued lower because racist redlining practices still affect housing prices today, so I'm sure houses in what looks to be a nice middle-class Black neighborhood are cheaper than ... I don't know, Silver Lake. (I don't know LA neighborhoods very well.)

I'm Black, with roots in Brooklyn and Philly, the former of which is crazy stupid gentrified and the latter of which is catching up. I spend a lot of time thinking about gentrification because it affects me and my family, particularly my Brooklyn home owning family, directly. I think a show about gentrification could be fascinating if done well - but this is not that show.

• Love 12

Watched because I like Cedric, Behrs and Greenfield. I'm willing to see where it goes. Might be more interesting if Behrs was a teacher of some of the neighborhood kids. And we'd get more of her that way!

Edited by highway61
  • Love 3

I figured that any show with Cedric The Entertainer and Max Greenfield would have to be good, but the premier disappointed me. Cedric was pretty funny as the grumpy black guy, but Max/Dave is just SO nice and earnest and perpetually cheerful that he was unsettling. I'll give the show a couple weeks to find its footing and maybe get a little more subtle with the writing for the white characters, but I don't think it's off to a great start.

• Love 4

I don't really think this is a modern "All In The Family". Cedric's character is grouchy, but he's not all wrong, like Archie was. And his wife is not a doormat like Edith Bunker. And Greenfield and Behr are not the voice of "the hip new generation" like Mike and Gloria were supposed to be.

• Love 4

I like Cedric the Entertainer and that chick from Broke Girls.  White people move next to black people..bring on the jokes.  Cue the "woke" jokes.  Cue the "throwing shade" jokes.  Oh man this show is bad.  At this point I'm watching to see how terrible it's going to get. 

• Love 4

That was...just not good.  I watched only to support Max Greenfield but he's going to have to get a better project because I can't see this lasting past a half season.  

The premise of the show wouldn't actually be so bad if it was say, an hour long drama/dramedy that centered around a few families in a predominantly black neighborhood and one of those families is white and just moved in.  That way, you could hit on the cultural/racial issues without it being the sole focus of the show.  

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Dee said:

Marty catching Gemma trying on Tina's wig had me howling.

Me too. His panicked looks were great.

I'm Black and I use body wash with a puff or my salux cloth (the best exfoliator ever), but I have had the "can soap get dirty?" conversation before.

I never watched New Girl so I don't know Max Greenfield, and IMO he's the weak link. Or at least he's the character I like the least. I feel like a Wayans brother should pop up and yell "MESSAGE!" every time he talks. I did watch 2 Broke Girls and so far there's not too much difference between Beth Behrs as Caroline and Beth Behrs as Gemma, but we'll see.

• Love 6

I need to learn the character names. Cedric's time with Max Greenfield's kid was surprisingly good. I even like the kid. He's a little sitcommy, but not too much to bear. And I like Cedric's adult kids. And I really like the friendship between the two women. There's a kind of confrontation without animus between them, which I think the world could use more of. The relationship between the men even started to thaw a little this week, too.

That was A LOT of water in that basement. All I could think about was that they needed a pump to get it out of there, and some serious dry-it-the-hell-out-fast action to prevent mold. But I realize that was extraneous to the point of the episode, and is just my personal axe.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, marymon said:

Sorry the stupidity over white people not using wash clothes?

I did miss the beginning, drats.  It is true in our family that washcloths are used with infants and old people.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 1

I watched this week to give it another shot.....

The wig bit was excellent, seemed natural and not overacted.

I hated Beth Behr on 2 Broke….actually I found that entire show sophomoric in the worst possible way and also badly acted.  That said, to me it appears they are directing her to be as frenetic and overdone here as she was on 2Broke.... and I just want to smack her and bring her down to earth.

There's a germ of a good idea here, but all they do is set up the joke, wait for the punch line, wait for the laugh and repeat.

It feels like sitcoms of the 50's.

Agree the kids are good, unusually so for a sitcom and the wife of the black couple is excellent.

As a 'long lived white person' I have always used a washcloth and never knew or even guessed that this was a topic of conversation much less a cultural "thing".  Who knew?

• Love 2
11 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

Agree the kids are good, unusually so for a sitcom and the wife of the black couple is excellent.

Tichina Arnold has been in the game for ages and she's a great comedic actress - I didn't know she was going to be on this show until I watched it, but when I saw her I was glad. I watched an old episode of Martin the other day (which I didn't watch that much when it was on because my mother loathed it) and she delivered a line reading of "I was just in an elevator with Chaka Kahn!" that had me rolling.

• Love 10
On 10/9/2018 at 9:19 AM, Dee said:

Marty catching Gemma trying on Tina's wig had me howling.

This actor kind of reminds me of Kenan Thompson in his mannerisms, his facial expressions and the way he reacts to things.

• Love 7
On 10/2/2018 at 8:15 AM, Empress1 said:

I'm Black, with roots in Brooklyn and Philly, the former of which is crazy stupid gentrified and the latter of which is catching up. I spend a lot of time thinking about gentrification because it affects me and my family, particularly my Brooklyn home owning family, directly. I think a show about gentrification could be fascinating if done well - but this is not that show.

I agree, and this show might be missing a great opportunity with all the comedic talent on hand.  I too am a Brooklyn boy born and raised, now living in the Jersey suburbs.  Whenever I read or hear about Brownstones and Condos in my old Bed-Stuy neighborhood going for seven figures, oh wow.  There is so much comedy that could be mined from the show's concept without even trying.

• Love 2
On 10/9/2018 at 9:46 AM, Empress1 said:

I did watch 2 Broke Girls and so far there's not too much difference between Beth Behrs as Caroline and Beth Behrs as Gemma, but we'll see.

Beth Behrs, though talented, is one of those actors who plays themselves no matter what you see her in.  But as another poster pointed out, she is mad sexy.  I also don't think this is the best vehicle for Max Greenfield's talents, but time will tell.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 2

Ok. I like it. It's not breaking ground anywhere and it isn't very smart, but I like Cedric, Tichina and Beth (who I liked in 2 broke girls, but hated the show). Mac is the week link but I do think he's got decent chemistry with Cedric.  I don't have anything else on Monday, so I'm in. 

• Love 1

I liked Cedric after the trust fall, when he's making Max hold him up. I feel like that might've been some improv on Ceddy's part, I approve. 

I think the extra-ness in Max's character is pure Schmidt, it's just wrapped in a more 'glass half full' package, so I enjoy him in this lol. 

• Love 2