Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E19: The Geek Interpreter

Is the actress who played Sylvia, Bingo Queen the same as the friend who didn't go with Faith and Kate to Italy in Only You?  That movie has been on a lot lately, it was the first role that came to mind.

Edited by elle
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Sylvia Kozar was played by Siobhan Fallon Hogan who also played Leslie in the movie "Only You".

Thank you!  That was the mystery I needed solved from tonight's episode.

I was surprised that "Cass" from As the World Turns was innocent this time around.  One of those familiar faces that makes one think,"he's the guy!"

Was that Sherlock's girlfriend's apartment or the lobby of something.  It was huge!

Edited by elle
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, elle said:

Thank you!  That was the mystery I needed solved from tonight's episode.

I was surprised that "Cass" from As the World Turns was innocent this time around.  One of those familiar faces that makes one think,"he's the guy!"

Was that Sherlock's girlfriend's apartment or the lobby of something.  It was huge!

I was expecting Cass to be the murderer too.

7 hours ago, elle said:

Good thing that it is still "winter" in NYC.... The roaring fireplace would not make any sense in summer...except Sherlock and Athena were not wearing any coats as they exited...Joan was wearing some open toed shoes as well

The FBI concept of Harlen as a stalker professor who kidnapped Lily to force her into sadistic math felt like a plot that either has been or soon will be used on Criminal Minds.  That said, I admit to being a squicked by unequal power dynamics in romantic relationships (teacher/student, boss/employee, etc.).  Like, I get it and I'm glad that they'll presumably work out all that stuff, but Jesus, Harlen, did you have to fish in the school pool?

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, johntfs said:

That said, I admit to being a squicked by unequal power dynamics in romantic relationships (teacher/student, boss/employee, etc.). 

I am equally squicked by the unequal power dynamics in romantic relationships with a prostitute/paying client. Does Is Athena's time billed for this dinner? What was Athena's job anyway that she just returned from?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, paigow said:

Good thing that it is still "winter" in NYC.... The roaring fireplace would not make any sense in summer...except Sherlock and Athena were not wearing any coats as they exited...Joan was wearing some open toed shoes as well

Not to worry about the cold upon their return since they left the roaring fire going as they were leaving the palac ... er, apartment.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, elle said:

was surprised that "Cass" from As the World Turns was innocent this time around.  One of those familiar faces that makes one think,"he's the guy!"

of course, before he was on ATWT, Cass was on Another World. And yes, it was a nice surprise that it turned out to be the landlord.

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Sylvia Kozar was played by Siobhan Fallon Hogan who also played Leslie in the movie "Only You".

She used to be on SNL way back when.

11 hours ago, elle said:

I was surprised that "Cass" from As the World Turns was innocent this time around.

I remember him as Cass on Another World.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

I am equally squicked by the unequal power dynamics in romantic relationships with a prostitute/paying client. Does Is Athena's time billed for this dinner? What was Athena's job anyway that she just returned from?

I didn't hear any indication that Sherlock was a paying client. We've seen that Sherlock has many female acquaintances who have helped him with cases and sexual needs. I don't think they are all professionals, merely friends with benefits. 

It was an OK case. I liked the beginning with the guy Wiggan being Sherlock's stand-in. I want the stupid Michael subplot to be over. They are now delaying it until the very end. Argh. 

• Love 6

Got a kick out of Fiona being name-dropped during a Harlan episode, since Betty Gilpin and Rich Sommer co-star together on GLOW.

A lot of recognizable faces in this one, but I knew the kidnapper/killer was the landlord since Ned Eisenberg is not just going to be hired to let the detectives in the apartment, make a snarky remark, and leave.

Joan has a point about Sherlock needing to move on from Moriarty, but I'm not sure Athena will end up working out.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Not to worry about the cold upon their return since they left the roaring fire going as they were leaving the palac ... er, apartment.

Came by to see if anybody else noticed that. Presumably that's a gas fireplace - can you just leave an open flame on like that when you leave? Not to mention the wastefulness. On TV nobody ever tends the fireplace, it's just fabulously on.

It always takes me several minutes to leave, including a check for anything that might burn the place down. She just grabbed her bag and out they went. Artistic license, or the diff between renting and owning? Ha.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, fauntleroy said:

Presumably that's a gas fireplace - can you just leave an open flame on like that when you leave? Not to mention the wastefulness. On TV nobody ever tends the fireplace, it's just fabulously on.

I believe that's either the butler's or the footman's job. Where's my Downton Abbey primer when I need it?

• Love 10

When Sherlock and Athena left her apartment, all I could think was "Uh, you're going to leave with a fire going?!"

It will be interesting to see how this relationship with Athena will go.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:
On 9/3/2018 at 11:19 PM, elle said:

I was surprised that "Cass" from As the World Turns was innocent this time around.

I remember him as Cass on Another World.

Cass (Stephen Schnetzer) apparently got around the soap world. He was also on Guiding Light according to the wikipedia page on the character Cass Winthrop.

(Is anyone else having the problem of using italics where it shows up as blank on screen?)

• Love 3
8 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I have a feeling the show is going in that direction. 

On another show, sure.  On this one, I don't know.  For all that it's about a modern day Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson (with occasional plots that touch the edge of science fiction), Elementary is surprisingly realistic.  Fiona wasn't murdered, didn't turn evil and didn't cheat with someone else.  She and Sherlock just broke up relatively amicably and moved on with their lives.  Yes, Athena and Sherlock are moving into a relationship, but that doesn't mean she'll automatically be murdered by Michael or even be put in any danger from him.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, fauntleroy said:

It always takes me several minutes to leave, including a check for anything that might burn the place down. She just grabbed her bag and out they went. Artistic license, or the diff between renting and owning? Ha

I'm turning 65 in a few days and have never owned a home, so please allow me to clarify: When everything you own is in the apartment and no homeowners insurance is going to make it worth your while to torch the place, you don't ever leave with even an appliance running.
But I suppose renters who can afford luxury might do things differently.
Speaking of luxury apartments in NYC: I too noticed the spaciousness of Athena's apartment, but it was just a studio; the bed and kitchenette were not separated by walls, were they?

• Love 3

I was struck by the hilarity of Sherlock's reaction to Joan suggesting he broke up with Fiona because she wasn't Moriarty. The way he indignantly yelled "Watson!" was almost a whine. It was a rare inflection for that character. 

What was the domed roof that could be seen outside Athena's window when they were in bed together? I took it to mean they were in some foreign city.

• Love 12

A little bit more regarding Stephen Schnetzer ... according to IMDB he is 70!  I knew he had to be up there, but wow. I think he looks great.

Sherlock was so cute asking her to dinner.

I also liked the scene where the math guy was thanking Sherlock for his advice. The pat on the arm was a nice touch.

• Love 5

Oh my God, the reaction Sherlock had to Watson saying she was annoyed with him for being a romantic hermit since Fiona. He was shook! "Watson!!!" He just sounded so deeply offended and shocked! I do like that they touched on how much Moriarty messed Sherlock up, and how its been hard for him to get close to people, which is pretty understandable. I thought the mystery was pretty good, even though I figured out it was the landlord pretty quickly. Although, it was a good week for minor parts that pack in a lot of quirk. The guy running a mobile Airbnb, the parole officer and his lame jokes, the woman bickering with the mobile guy...

I was hoping he would go to make up with Fiona. I liked Fiona. But, she probably doesn't have an amazing roaring fireplace...

Nice seeing Harlen again, I see the reoccurring character fairy is still fluttering about! Now, what do we have to do to see Mrs. Hudson again? 

• Love 12
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I was struck by the hilarity of Sherlock's reaction to Joan suggesting he broke up with Fiona because she wasn't Moriarty. The way he indignantly yelled "Watson!" was almost a whine. It was a rare inflection for that character. 

I thought that was hilarious as well. He sounded like a sixth grader whose mom is grilling him about something embarrassing!

On the whole I didn't love this episode. Count me as another person who was squicked out by Harlan's infatuation with his student. And I was getting another weird trying-to-hint-at-an-eventual-Sherlock/Joan-relationship during their discussion about Sherlock's loneliness. It was a relief to see him with the other woman at the end, but I don't think that's going to be a long-term thing...

• Love 3

I loved seeing Stephen Schnetzer; I was a huge Cass Winthrop fan back in the day. 

Good episode. I liked seeing the math geek friend of Sherlock. What has happened to the adoption storyline? 

• Love 4

Another outstanding episode. The way the writers take ordinary events like FEMA maps and have an interesting show is so creative.

I figured the landlord when I saw him he could be the villain.

Several observations.

I liked Fiona and sorry it didn't work out for Sherlock. And I do understand his inability to measure every other female love interest to not measure up.

Don't care at all for his new squeeze. She looks like a tramp and to me not at all sexy.

As for the weather that doesn't bother me at all. This season was disjointed from the get go so if they're wearing winter clothes BFD.

And Sherlock continues to have facial expression that I can tell exactly what he's thinking.

I can't wait to get the Season 6 DVD so I can rewatch all of these outstanding episodes.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I do like that they touched on how much Moriarty messed Sherlock up, and how its been hard for him to get close to people, which is pretty understandable.

Yeah, but again, this is Elementary, so it's much more interesting than that.  Another show would dwell on "Sherlock's" continuing pain and inability to trust other people.  "Oh, the poor sad broken-hearted genius" and all that.  Here the problem isn't what Moriarty did to Sherlock, it's that Moriarty is just too fucking amazingly awesome to the point that other women (aside from Joan, his non-sexual life partner) can't compare to her.

• Love 5
On 9/4/2018 at 8:12 AM, johntfs said:

Harlen, did you have to fish in the school pool?

How many brilliant female mathemeticians interested in FEMA flood plains do you think there are???

On 9/4/2018 at 8:18 AM, MaryHedwig said:

I am equally squicked by the unequal power dynamics in romantic relationships with a prostitute/paying client.

My feeling (endorsed by the dialogue at the end) is that they are friends who enjoy time *sexual and otherwise) together.  They just hadn't thought of "going to the next level".

On 9/3/2018 at 8:14 PM, AnimeMania said:

I don't like Sherlock's new girlfriend, it will be OK if Michael kills her.

On 9/4/2018 at 7:39 PM, juliet73 said:

I have a feeling the show is going in that direction. 

21 hours ago, johntfs said:

On another show, sure.  On this one, I don't know.

I hope you're right, @johntfs.  But Michael will kill someone "close" to Sherlock and/or Joan, and they could be setting up Athena to be more than a sex partner just to be "fridged".  Generally, the writers are better than that, but it's far too possible that's where they're going.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

And I was getting another weird trying-to-hint-at-an-eventual-Sherlock/Joan-relationship during their discussion about Sherlock's loneliness. 

Me too! I was, frankly, expecting him to burst out his love of Watson, and I'm terribly afraid that's their end game. It seems like all the sweet character moments this year have been leading to that.

Edited by rainsmom
  • Love 4
On 9/4/2018 at 12:15 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Got a kick out of Fiona being name-dropped during a Harlan episode, since Betty Gilpin and Rich Sommer co-star together on GLOW.

I never realized Betty Gilpin had played Fiona. I didn't recognize her as anyone I'd seen before when I watched GLOW.

On 9/4/2018 at 10:50 PM, elle said:

Cass (Stephen Schnetzer) apparently got around the soap world. He was also on Guiding Light according to the wikipedia page on the character Cass Winthrop.

(Is anyone else having the problem of using italics where it shows up as blank on screen?)

Thank you for putting in the actor's name. Didn't know who was being referenced. And oddly, still don't. This episode didn't really hold my attention and while I can recognize Schnetzer (thank you IMDB), I cannot place him in the episode. I must have been doing something while he was on.

30 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

Me too! I was, frankly, expecting him to burst out his love of Watson, and I'm terribly afraid that's their end game. It seems like all the sweet character moments this year have been leading to that.

I had a moment where I thought that as well, and was relieved. I don't really think they're going there - as they've been very focused and clear about the friendship relationship. It is one of the things that makes them stand out from other shows.

• Love 4

I was not worried about Joan and Sherlock's talk about his relationships because Sherlock played it like a little brother being admonished by an older sibling or even a parental figure. They are very much family and I don't think it will go beyond the platonic. The showrunner Robert Doherty said from the beginning that he would not put them together. I know producers lie, but Doherty has not shown otherwise even six years later. There have been many chances where they even hint it but the writing and the acting has really dismissed it.

Unlike a lot of longer running shows, the showrunner hasn't changed over the years and he still writes at least one episode per season. In fact, the only episode he'll write this year is the upcoming season finale.

• Love 6

Oh well, my brain is no longer what it used to be since I couldn't remember who Athena was. My excuse is that the episode title had me thrown off my game. BBC Sherlock had already used the G(r)eek Interpreter joke (although not as episode title) - I admit it's a good joke but it still baffled me that they would go there too.

I appreciated the writing for Sherlock - especially the final dialogue. Would have appreciated it even more if I had remembered Athena *sigh*

And we got a new (and extremely disturbing) method of Sherlock's to wake up Watson. I admire her poise - I would have kicked the guy out of the house and ripped Sherlock a new one. But I'm not a morning person under the best of circumstances.

• Love 2

This show really does have a problem with tipping off the audience by way of casting. I for one had never seen the actor who played the landlord in anything else so to me, he was just some random day player and I never had an inkling he would turn out to be the culprit. To anyone else who recognized him though, it was a red flag.

What has happened to the adoption storyline? 

We've got a 2-part season finale coming up so it seems unlikely (although still possible, I suppose) they can wrap that up. Maybe they shelved it once they found out they were getting a seventh season? I'd really like to know how the timing worked out on this - how far into the season they were before they found that out.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, jhlipton said:

On 9/4/2018 at 11:12 AM, johntfs said:

Harlen, did you have to fish in the school pool?

How many brilliant female mathemeticians interested in FEMA flood plains do you think there are???

Wouldn’t someone going for their doctorate be in their mid 20s? Yes, there is the power dynamic, but it’s not as squicky as if she were an undergrad.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Wouldn’t someone going for their doctorate be in their mid 20s? Yes, there is the power dynamic, but it’s not as squicky as if she were an undergrad.

At LEAST. It's not at all unusual for doctoral students to be returning to school after some work experience either. Also doctoral students can be doctoral students for many years while writing their thesis or can be getting a second doctorate. Frankly, they could easily have been the same age (in the real world -- the actress looked younger than him).

Edited by rainsmom
  • Love 1
On 9/4/2018 at 8:18 AM, MaryHedwig said:

I am equally squicked by the unequal power dynamics in romantic relationships with a prostitute/paying client. Does Is Athena's time billed for this dinner? 

Sex workers have romantic partners, too, who they don't bell for time.  

• Love 4
20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

It's been a hot summer. Maybe he's hanging out in the crisper in the fridge.

Except in Elementary-land, it's been a cold summer! (I'm still highly amused that last week they made a point of referencing an August date, and this week we saw snow on the ground.)

On 9/6/2018 at 2:03 PM, rainsmom said:
On 9/6/2018 at 1:54 PM, chitowngirl said:

At LEAST. It's not at all unusual for doctoral students to be returning to school after some work experience either. Also doctoral students can be doctoral students for many years while writing their thesis or can be getting a second doctorate. Frankly, they could easily have been the same age (in the real world -- the actress looked younger than him).

OK, maybe squicky is the wrong word, and I get that they're both adults, but I still found it... disconcerting... in the way that it was presented.

• Love 2

I liked the episode on the whole; I debated whether it was the landlord or the parole officer that was the mastermind.

The wake-up surrogate was way too creepy.  I would have completely flipped out.  I suppose Joan has a higher tolerance for crazy by this point.

I'm not sure how I feel about Athena.  We really know nothing about her, other than that they share ... a hobby.  I also thought they were hinting at Fiona coming back, which would be okay.  I hope that they spend some time on Athena as a character, and I really hope that nobody kills/abducts/maims her.  That would be a cheap way to go.  They've already had Joan and Alfredo abducted at various points, though those were handled pretty well.

The thing that bothered me about Harlan's behavior toward Lily is that he remained her doctoral advisor.  He should have encouraged her to study under a different professor, with an excuse like he had another project and couldn't support her work. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

OK, maybe squicky is the wrong word, and I get that they're both adults, but I still found it... disconcerting... in the way that it was presented.

I thought they did a good job of "hanging a lantern on it" by 1) having them be adults close in age, 2) having them both attracted to each other, and, most importantly, 3) having the professor verbally acknowledge that he was waiting until they were no longer in a teacher-student situation to (maybe) make a move. Plus, reruns of Numb3rs just started airing on H&I in which young mathematics professor Charlie Epps and his former grad student eventually live happily ever after. But, as @MisterGlass just pointed out, he should've taken a page from Charlie and Amita's play book with:

He should have encouraged her to study under a different professor, with an excuse like he had another project and couldn't support her work.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Came by to see if anybody else noticed that. Presumably that's a gas fireplace - can you just leave an open flame on like that when you leave? Not to mention the wastefulness. On TV nobody ever tends the fireplace, it's just fabulously on.

It always takes me several minutes to leave, including a check for anything that might burn the place down. She just grabbed her bag and out they went. Artistic license, or the diff between renting and owning? Ha.

I'm turning 65 in a few days and have never owned a home, so please allow me to clarify: When everything you own is in the apartment and no homeowners insurance is going to make it worth your while to torch the place, you don't ever leave with even an appliance running.
But I suppose renters who can afford luxury might do things differently.

Leaving with any  appliance running, much less a fire in the fireplace is careless and foolish, regardless of whether you own or are renting, even if you can afford luxury. It's downright reckless. I have a fireplace in my brownstone - and yes, I will occasionally light a small fire on a cool summer eve, as I do right now - but I would never under any circumstances leave or even go to sleep until I knew it was out, or at least embers with the damper mostly shut and the glass doors closed. 

As for the weather that doesn't bother me at all. This season was disjointed from the get go so if they're wearing winter clothes BFD.

Me either. I don't expect a show's seasons to echo mine. That said:

Except in Elementary-land, it's been a cold summer! (I'm still highly amused that last week they made a point of referencing an August date, and this week we saw snow on the ground.)

I missed the August reference. That  seems silly.

The wake-up surrogate was way too creepy.  I would have completely flipped out.  I suppose Joan has a higher tolerance for crazy by this point.

My tolerance for crazy is super high. I have shared my living space with people who woke me in unusual ways: a speaker lowered off a higher floor outside my bedroom window blasting rock music, a ferret thrown onto my bed - or worse, under the covers. A bottle rocket fired into my room. All that, I'm okay with - but someone I don't know with the electronic face of someonce I do know is likely taking an exit by way of my 4th floor window before I'm fully awake.

Edited by basil
  • Love 2