Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E13: Top Four Perform

• Start Topic

tWitch at 60% voice and health is still miles better and more informative than Vanessa.

Was Hannahlei supposed to fall in the box at the very end of that hip-hop? Her and Fik-Shun were adorable but I have to confess I spent most of that routine trying to place where I had seen that routine before. I think in the early seasons and for whatever reason I see it as NappyTabs...wasn't there a hip-hop routine before that was about moving or had moving boxes as props?

Jensen danced everything well tonight but at the same time I don't think she came across well personally. Travis had her pegged as the character he had her play in the Broadway with Genessy (no, Jensen, you still didn't get the body shake down right). In her video before her solo when she talked about how she had auditioned for previous seasons and not made it she sounded like she very much expected to make it to the Academy and to the live shows based on her last name and that she was Lindsay's sister. Which is why it made me laugh that Travis had Jensen play the understudy to Genessy's star. Lol.

Could the judges have propped Jensen and downplayed Slavic anymore in their comments for the Jensen/Slavic last routine?

My preferred winner out of these four is Hannahlei and I think she might take it. Based on the dances and the way the judges talked tonight, I'm thinking the order is going to be Hannahlei, Genessy, Jensen, Slavic.

I was busy typing this up and missed who Hannahlei was dating. 

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 7

Twitch's poor voice :(

I wanted to like Slavik and Genessy's hip hop so much, as I think Luther really gave them really great choreography, but I feel like they didn't really bring the energy or sharpness that it required, and consequently, it fell flat. I should not be thinking I wish I was watching the choreography on other dancers halfway through the routine. 

I love Brian Friedman and his mind. But did Vanessa call him Feelman? Yikes. Jensen was way too smiley throughout the whole thing and didn't really get down enough into the movements, and the synchronization was kind of off between the two of them. Another case of wanting to like it, but not really.

Rooting for Hannahlei to win it all. She really brought it tonight and throughout the whole competition.

• Love 10

I personally don't care who win, still very bitter about darius and jayjay being out but if I had to choose I guess I would go with Hannahlei even tho I just dont care.

Slavic just cant do ballroom, I have hated him in his ballroom numbers even that awful jive that was praised to high heavens. I honestly didnt like him this hiphop number either. His strongest hiphop number was week 1 and thats it. 

• Love 8

After watching tonight, it is Hannahlei's to win. Next will be Gennessy, Jensen and Slavic.  Jensen did okay tonight, but Hannahlei really shined. She has the talent and personality, IMHO. In the end, all 4 dancers have a bright future ahead. This was good exposure for them. BTW, I felt the judges comments were heavily for Hannahlei than any of the other 3 dancers. Maybe my imagination because I want Hannahlei to win.

• Love 5

Hannahlei is the best dancer left but my only petpeev with her is that she isnt the best at emoting. I think out of the four left, she is the worse at emoting but indeed she is the best technician. 

Jensen is great dancer but again I think she is stronger outside of her style, her ballroom is just ok for someone of suspected caliber.

Gennessy best personality out of the girls but weaker dancer but strongest to show emotion

Slavic, weakest dancer out of the four, good personality but he lacks that urban feel I look for when he dances hiphop. I noticed it when he was dancing in the group number with the boys that luther choreographed.

Does anyone know if the votes will be from last week only or from this week too  to decide tomorrows winner?

Does the second place winner get anything, I cant remember?

• Love 2

I thought everyone did quite well this evening. I loved the Robert/Jensen contemporary. He makes those lifts look so easy. 

I really enjoyed Hannahlei and Slavik's solos the best. 

I laughed really hard when Slavik said his backpack weighed more than Hannahlei, and that he was just going to walk over to the judges with her on his back, and turn her around for her critiques so she'd be facing them, heh. Also, is it just me or does Slavik look like Jack Dawson from Titanic when his hair is slicked back? 

I hope Hannahlei wins it, even though I like Slavik and Gennessy, as well. But Hannahlei is just a powerhouse. She's so strong and fierce and I find her to be the most versatile. 

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, vdw84 said:

Does anyone know if the votes will be from last week only or from this week too  to decide tomorrows winner?

The votes will be combined. But the winner will only be announced during next Monday's finale. 

• Love 1

If Hannahlei doesn't win, then this finale will be a travesty imho. Of course, it's more than obvious that the judges (via the producers) are all about a Jensen win. Jensen who still dances heavy no matter what genre (including her own).

Slavik and Gennessy were put through as fodder and had to be slightly steamrolled the last two weeks (mostly Slavik) to keep them from claiming the prize. They are both still horrible at hip hop. No natural rhythm or bounce. It was all too loose and flailing about imo. Slavik also has no hip movement whatsoever. He's a bboy (breakdancer) and not a hip hop artist. Although he's had the same technical issues all season long but the judges decided to point them out last week and tonight. Surprise surprise! Not!  

That leaves Hannahlei. Technically the most proficient of the four but as a poster pointed out she's not very good at emoting. That can be worked on maybe easier than technique (I'm not a trained dancer so someone who is can correct me if I'm wrong). She could have ridden the rhythm more in her hip hop with Fik Shun though. Please stop with the props in the hip hop routines choreographers please.

I didn't vote last week but did give all my votes to Hannahlei (hopefully not in vain) cause I don't want another Melanie Moore type of winner this year since all my faves were voted out. Did Melanie lose weight? I wasn't a fan of her but she does look great physically.

Most uninspired top four in quite a while. ymmv 

• Love 3

I am so glad they didn’t include Doria Sanchez in the finals because Slavic would have paralyzed one of the dancers. He has no business doing lifts/partner work without proper training. 

• Love 3

Ugh. I still don’t enjoy Melanie. Slavic posed more than danced in that routine. It was just an odd dance and not interestingly odd in my opinion. I did like him with Hannahlei in the African jazz. His tendency to hunch his back worked well for a change. I enjoy his personality and hearing him say how he felt something new and different when he did contemporary for the first time reminds me why I like the way this show works, when it works. 

I don’t dislike Jensen and think she dances well enough. But she’s bland or too similar to others in her style. I have come to really enjoy her sister on DWTS so sorry, but she’s still Lindsey’s sister in my mind. I did enjoy her dance with Robert but I’ve always liked Robert and think he helps make beautiful pictures in dance. 

Genessy is so personable and fun but she dances heavy or tied to the ground or something that I can’t articulate. I do enjoy watching her and think she’s simply beautiful. I hated the dance she and Jensen did. I thought it was stupid and I really didn’t like the one she did with Hannahlei either. Maybe I’m old and curmudgeonly but a lot of these routines were just blah or worse.  

Hannahlei has been my choice since early on and I still really like her. She is fierce! And fire! Do I sound like Vanessa? No, honestly I think she is a powerful, versatile dancer. It seems like she gets whatever is thrown at her. I haven’t particularly noticed her inability to emote but I often tune out the choreographer explaining how to be all angsty or angry or sad-faced during the dance. She does seem naturally upbeat though so maybe that’s part of it. I do think she’s the strongest of the four that are left.

• Love 6

I pay a lot of attention to faces, and Hannahlei has never stood out to me as a poor emoter. 

I just watch the YouTube clips, so I don't know what story was given for Slavik and Melanie's contemporary--if it was intended to be allegoric or not. It really upset me. I thought it was well danced and well acted, but I just don't want to watch dances that end with the man murdering the woman right now. 

Genessy and Jensen's dance was interesting because there's an argument that it was choreographed to favor both of them. Genessy got the spotlight in the video, the positioning as the actual star, and IMHO, the more interesting dance moves. But Jensen got the character that drew focus so much of the time and was the POV character for the piece. IMHO, she stole the focus for me.

I think Jensen has been the most versatile. Hannahlei's been carried through her ballrooms. I'm okay with anyone winning at this point, though. I think there are arguments for and against all of them. I expect it will be Hannahlei or Genessy, though. Genessy definitely peaked at the right moment! These past two weeks have been her best weeks.

• Love 2

Am I the only one that didnt like Hannahlei in that hiphop routine with fikshun, she seemed too cheerleading to me. I mean she had the energy and all but she never hit hard to me, very cutesy. I was expecting more from her in a hiphop routine.

• Love 3

I am definitely not a dance expert...I watch for what I enjoy seeing and tonight, that was Hannahlei and Slavik's West African Jazz routine. The second it was over, I hit back, so I could watch it again! When she slid down his body, I was amazed and I thought he held his own in the dance. The other high points for me were Hannahlei and Slavik's solos....she was just amazing and I loved how he stepped one leg over the over when he was "squatting" down...that is the best I can describe it(told  you I'm not a dance expert!). The one other dance I enjoyed was Jenson and Robert... Beautiful dance and he is so gorgeous!  I am definitely hoping for a Hannahlei win!

• Love 10
3 hours ago, BeeBop88 said:

After watching tonight, it is Hannahlei's to win. Next will be Gennessy, Jensen and Slavic.  Jensen did okay tonight, but Hannahlei really shined. She has the talent and personality, IMHO. In the end, all 4 dancers have a bright future ahead. This was good exposure for them. BTW, I felt the judges comments were heavily for Hannahlei than any of the other 3 dancers. Maybe my imagination because I want Hannahlei to win.

I think the same.  In fact, they've promoted her all along but last week was really thick.  Even tWitch spread it on.  I know Nigel probably knew that JayJay and Darius were gone before last week's show started.  So he probably decided to make sure that Hannahlei was foremost on our minds. 

I don't really have a preference of the four.  Jensen and Hannahlei are the most versatile.  But Hannahlei is stronger in her specialty than Jensen is in hers.  And, most people love Hannahlei.  My eyes just aren't drawn to her, except for when she was with Marco.  But, someone has to win.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Souris said:

If anyone but Hannahlei wins, it will be a travesty. (Well, as much as a vote on a TV dance show can be called a travesty.)

Yep travesty is a bit strong.  After the S8 winner, anyone is worthy.  Besides, I know people on the board don't like Jensen but she was a great competitor. 

3 hours ago, yourpointis said:

If Hannahlei doesn't win, then this finale will be a travesty imho. Of course, it's more than obvious that the judges (via the producers) are all about a Jensen win. Jensen who still dances heavy no matter what genre (including her own).

I think it's obvious that they want either Jensen or Hannahlei.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, yourpointis said:

Slavik and Gennessy were put through as fodder and had to be slightly steamrolled the last two weeks (mostly Slavik) to keep them from claiming the prize. They are both still horrible at hip hop. No natural rhythm or bounce. It was all too loose and flailing about imo. Slavik also has no hip

I didn't vote last week but did give all my votes to Hannahlei (hopefully not in vain) cause I don't want another Melanie Moore type of winner this year since all my faves were voted out. Did Melanie lose weight? I wasn't a fan of her but she does look great physically.

Most uninspired top four in quite a while. ymmv 

This is an uninspiring group.  Hadn't really thought about it in that way.

The last time Melanie was an all star, you could tell she had lost weight but she looks even smaller this time.

Slavik wasn't good in hip hop.  But he is a showman.  I guess that's the bboy in him.

Edited by crossover
  • Love 2

Last night absolutely confirmed it, the budget has been cut to shreds for this season.  Costumes once again really put that front and center, but they're even using rights free music during behind the scenes clips as well.  Please Fox, let the show soar again.  They've earned it.

I'm amazed so many feel Jensen is being propped as the chosen one.  I actually felt bad for her when every single judge uttered the words "Genessy, you're a star!" during the critique of their Broadway number.  For at least 2, maybe 3 of the judges it was the first words out of their mouth during critiques.   I found that insensitive.  While Jensen has never been my favorite she has turned in some great performances and has shown improvement and taken the notes she's been given to heart.  She's clearly worked hard to be here, which I think gets overlooked almost as if she was simply handed her abilities.  

I don't find Hannahlei unable to emote.   Lex set the bar last season for not emoting IMO.  He was a very skilled dancer, not the most versatile IMO.  I was Koine all the way.  My vote goes to Hannahlei as the deserving winner.      

I was happy Slavic at least looked healthy again last night and it appeared his head was back in the game.  While I don't think he's got the chops that should bring him the win, I have to give him props for never making excuses and always seeming willing to work.    

My pick is Hannahlei, but I'm not certain that's the way it will go.  My feeling is production has another preferred pick they're pushing hard(G) and that yet a different contestant(S) has been running away with the audience vote.  My guess is the 4th finalist thinks they may be in it to win it and would be completely devastated to finish less than at least 2nd at this point. (J)   

• Love 3
6 hours ago, crossover said:

I think the same.  In fact, they've promoted her all along but last week was really thick.  Even tWitch spread it on.  I know Nigel probably knew that JayJay and Darius were gone before last week's show started.  So he probably decided to make sure that Hannahlei was foremost on our minds. 

Nigel def. knew about darius and jayjay before the live show begun. He get the results the next day of live, its just the other judges don't. Im sure he can choose to tell them if he wants but im sure he wants them to enjoy the show without thinking of the elimination because Vanessa looked hella shock when they called their name and twitch put his head down, so they didnt know.

6 hours ago, crossover said:

Slavik wasn't good in hip hop.  But he is a showman.  I guess that's the bboy in him.

I finally figured out what it is about slavik hiphop. He is a great animator and good with tricks but he is not a groover. He has no soul when dances, that urban bounce I look for in hiphop. I can talk about this because I do hiphop. Like I said his week 1 debut hiphop was his best and most polished hiphop number but every other hiphop number he has had was not that good. That hiphop number he had last week with comfort was just horrible, I mean the choreography could be the blame but also slavik just really knows how to do only one type of style when it comes to hiphop.

• Love 3

Has there ever been a season that featured African Jazz so heavily before?  It seems the show may be feeling the push back against contemporary somewhat.  I'm kind of enjoying African Jazz taking more of a turn in the spotlight.  Sean Cheeseman has done a wonderful job.  He and Luther Brown have carried a lot of the choreography load this season and I've enjoyed them.  Would have really enjoyed Jean Marc to be around for more of the season as well.

• Love 11

We thought everyone did a great job last night, but Hannahlei continues to be our favorite.  We are ones who do not find her unable to emote.  Or if she is, we've never noticed it.  She seems to do well with everything she's been given.  We especially loved her final dance with Gennessy.  We agreed with the judges that their synchronization was wonderful; even their body shapes were almost dead on the same most of the time.  Really spectacular to watch.  We thought the difference between Hannalei and Jensen was particularly noticeable in their duet.  That Jensen dances "heavy" is the only way to describe it, and it was especially obvious dancing next to Hannahlei who seems to just soar.  Also loved Hannalei and Slavik's jazz routine.  That's probably my favorite Jazz routine ever on this show.  And I have to say we thought she did a good job of keeping up with Fikshun.  Usually we don't even notice whoever is dancing with him because he just draws the eye, but we thought the two of them were pretty well matched (obviously he's much better at that style, but he did a good job of not overpowering her in the routine), and she managed to keep some of our focus on her.  We also loved Robert and Jensen's dance, although to be honest, we would really have loved to have seen that dance with Robert and Hannalei.  Again Jensen performed it well, but Hannahlei would have given it an otherworldly quality.  Jensen is just more 'pedestrian' maybe?  I don't know what it is - I just can't warm up to her.  And watching her and Lindsey together, it was so clear that Jensen is not in Lindsey's league as a dancer.  Hate to break it to her, but she may always be Lindsey's sister to us.  Hoping she doesn't end up on DWTS.  We still love that show and have zero interest in seeing Jensen on it.  Magda maybe.  Cole maybe.  But not Jensen.

Anyway, really hoping for a Hannahlei win.  :)

Edited by LadyMustang65
Forgot to mention a dance
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, crossover said:

Yep travesty is a bit strong.  After the S8 winner, anyone is worthy.  Besides, I know people on the board don't like Jensen but she was a great competitor. 

I think it's obvious that they want either Jensen or Hannahlei.

Hannahlei may have picked up votes from last week, but it's been Jensen since the top 10; maybe before. It's always been my belief that the judges' critiques go the way the votes go and anyone/everyone should know by now that Nigel is privy to the results/votes. ymmv

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, LadyMustang65 said:

And watching her and Lindsey together, it was so clear that Jensen is not in Lindsey's league as a dancer.  Hate to break it to her, but she may always be Lindsey's sister to us.  Hoping she doesn't end up on DWTS.  We still love that show and have zero interest in seeing Jensen on it.  Magda maybe.  Cole maybe.  But not Jensen.

I have a feeling you'll be disappointed then. No way is DWTS passing up the opportunity for Maks and Val 2.0  They probably already have the contract ready for her once the Top 10 tour ends.  

• Love 4

The Hannahlei/Fikshun hip hop number made me think back to Amy and Fikshun's partnership very strongly -- in particular I got a flashback to the bellhop routine.  I also thought about the moving themed routine Nappytabs had several seasons ago, I feel like Jasmine was possibly in that one as either contestant or AS. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, vdw84 said:

I liked Hannaheli and Slavik jazz but I have to say the whole time I was watching, I wishing it was darius dancing it with her, can u imagine the insanity of that dance. 

This was me.  I wanted to see Darius or Jay Jay dance it with Hannahlei.  At the beginning, it seemed like she did everything and Slavik was just there to be a fork lift or hold her.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Tikichick said:

The Hannahlei/Fikshun hip hop number made me think back to Amy and Fikshun's partnership very strongly -- in particular I got a flashback to the bellhop routine.  I also thought about the moving themed routine Nappytabs had several seasons ago, I feel like Jasmine was possibly in that one as either contestant or AS. 

You could be thinking of NappyTabs routine with Jeanine and Ade.

• Love 5

I thought last week's show was better than this week's.  Nigel, no!!  This was not the best top four contestants or show through all the seasons.  We needed Jay Jay and Darius to be in it.  I wish it was Darius, Jay Jay, Jensen, and Hannahlei.  I wanted Darius to win based on both technique and the ability to emote/perform or do the character correctly.  Although yes, he does "cheat" to look more flexible.

Just like last week, I gave all 20 of my votes to Hannahlei,  I think she's the best technically out of the four.  Genessy and she are categorized in the same genre.  However, you can see a difference between the two in their solos and with the contemporary that they did together.  Genessy does know how to emote.  I did think that Hannahlei needed more range with that until last week.  Part of it was the choreography that she was given.  All her characters were happy, e.g. stepping, disco, Broadway, etc.  She did have a nice contemporary with Cole where she wasn't happy but other than that, she did seem to just have a happy persona.  Last week, she showed a different side with her contemporary with Marco and her AT with Darius.  She had non-happy characters this week too.  She's only 18 so she doesn't naturally dance mature like Magda did with contemporary. 

So I'm a Utahn that did not vote for Jensen.  My younger daughter was rooting for her because she is biased and did dance with her.  But since my daughters don't watch the show anymore, they don't vote.   When they were younger, they loved this show.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, fpbl83 said:

I have a feeling you'll be disappointed then. No way is DWTS passing up the opportunity for Maks and Val 2.0  They probably already have the contract ready for her once the Top 10 tour ends.  

I am honestly afraid you might be right.  No.  Just no.  Jensen does not have the personality that Lindsey does nor does she have the dance chops either.  It would be as bad as watching Allison Holker on there as a pro.  :(

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

You could be thinking of NappyTabs routine with Jeanine and Ade.

Thank you, yes, this is the number -- at least it is a number I partially remembered.  I had the green/yellow in my mind's eye, but I'll be darned if I could come up with the dancers or the song -- and I also had a sofa in the background in my memory.  

I wish Ade could have come and mentored Jay Jay on partnering and lifts.  He was always so amazingly reliable his partners could always trust him completely -- and he danced so achingly beautiful too! 

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Thank you, yes, this is the number -- at least it is a number I partially remembered.  I had the green/yellow in my mind's eye, but I'll be darned if I could come up with the dancers or the song -- and I also had a sofa in the background in my memory.  

I wish Ade could have come and mentored Jay Jay on partnering and lifts.  He was always so amazingly reliable his partners could always trust him completely -- and he danced so achingly beautiful too! 

The sofa could be from Jeanine and Phillip's Broadway routine choreographed by Tyce.  I know there was a debate last week on whether Jeanine should have won versus Brandon or Kayla.  I actually thought that Jeanine was going to go out early.  But close to the end, I was rooting for her over either one of them.  Yes, Brandon and Kayla had great technique.  But I liked Jeanine's personality more and I thought she was a good performer.  Although the other two were good performers too.  Jeanine had decent technique too.  I guess it's a matter of preference.  There are plenty of times when my favorite doesn't win, e.g. Season 6 Jakob.  This season, my favorite was Darius and now I'm cheering for Hannahlei.

ETA - And yes, Ade was great at lifts.  This season, Hannahlei is a great liftee.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

The sofa could be from Jeanine and Phillip's Broadway routine choreographed by Tyce.  I know there was a debate last week on whether Jeanine should have won versus Brandon or Kayla.  I actually thought that Jeanine was going to go out early.  But close to the end, I was rooting for her over either one of them.  Yes, Brandon and Kayla had great technique.  But I liked Jeanine's personality more and I thought she was a good performer.  Although the other two were good performers too.  Jeanine had decent technique too.  I guess it's a matter of preference.  There are plenty of times when my favorite doesn't win, e.g. Season 6 Jakob.  This season, my favorite was Darius and now I'm cheering for Hannahlei.

ETA - And yes, Ade was great at lifts.  This season, Hannahlei is a great liftee.

Nope, I absolutely know this sofa, LOL!  Philip is one of my underrated favs whose career I have enjoyed since the show.

We were truly spoiled for choice back then, so there was an argument for any of top four to win.  Watching the hip hop clip earlier showed me just how much of an actress Jeanine already was.  She was even bringing it in the rehearsal package.  Ironically those same kinds of things point to exactly why such a stellar technician as Jakob was not voted America's favorite dancer.   

ETA  Speaking of great lifts, Robert did a fantastic job as a forklift last night, all the while performing beautifully as well.  His steadiness allowed Jensen to totally surrender and she really did do a wonderful job in their number.  He really does such a great job time and time again.    

Edited by Tikichick
  • Love 2

I see people constanty saying that Jensen doesn't have the personality that Lindsey did, but I disagree.  I thought both Lindsey and Witney were lacking in their SYTYCD run and tended to like Witney better because she is more telegenic and funnier.  Now that they've gone on to DWTS, Lindsey has matured and changed a LOT.  She's much better at presenting herself than she was and she has a really good instinct for American as Apple Pie Choreography.  I completely prefer Lindsey now.  All this by way of saying, Jensen is young yet.  Let's see how she goes as she matures...

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Tikichick said:

Nope, I absolutely know this sofa, LOL!  Philip is one of my underrated favs whose career I have enjoyed since the show.

We were truly spoiled for choice back then, so there was an argument for any of top four to win.  Watching the hip hop clip earlier showed me just how much of an actress Jeanine already was.  She was even bringing it in the rehearsal package.  Ironically those same kinds of things point to exactly why such a stellar technician as Jakob was not voted America's favorite dancer.   

ETA  Speaking of great lifts, Robert did a fantastic job as a forklift last night, all the while performing beautifully as well.  His steadiness allowed Jensen to totally surrender and she really did do a wonderful job in their number.  He really does such a great job time and time again.    

Philip and others show why you don't necessarily need to win this show to benefit from it.

This is why my daughters won't watch the show anymore.  They think the quality has gone down.  They remember the dancers being so good before.  Yes, Jeanine's performance quality is why she was my favorite.  I also think that her TV personality came across as being very friendly and that's why she won.  Brandon and Kayla might have had better technique but I think they came off a little arrogant or cold. 

I thought Jakob did a great job performing when he did the Sonja piece with Ellenore.  That's another season where it wouldn't have been a shame to have Jakob, Kathryn, or Ellenore win over Russell. 

Robert is a beautiful contemporary dancer.  I don't think he's that great with hip-hop because I remember Bodiak Yellow last year.  He made me laugh in that one and not in a good way.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, LadyMustang65 said:

I am honestly afraid you might be right.  No.  Just no.  Jensen does not have the personality that Lindsey does nor does she have the dance chops either.  It would be as bad as watching Allison Holker on there as a pro.  :(

No one could possibly be as bad at teaching Latin Ballroom than Allison was.  

• Love 2

I watched this show just one night after last week’s show, and this one just didn’t measure up to last week’s (or the preceding week’s), IMO.  At this stage of the game, the you can see how hard the dancetestants are working, and how exhausted (and sick, or injured) they are. 

I think TPTB are pushing Jensen for a “first ever ballroom girl!” win.  And so they can brag when she goes to DWTS. 

Apropos of nothing, just want to add to the Jakob love.  #bendyboys!

also—WAS Hannahlei supposed to fall into the box??

• Love 1
11 hours ago, LadyMustang65 said:

We thought everyone did a great job last night, but Hannahlei continues to be our favorite.  We are ones who do not find her unable to emote.  Or if she is, we've never noticed it.  She seems to do well with everything she's been given.  We especially loved her final dance with Gennessy.  We agreed with the judges that their synchronization was wonderful; even their body shapes were almost dead on the same most of the time.  Really spectacular to watch.  We thought the difference between Hannalei and Jensen was particularly noticeable in their duet.  That Jensen dances "heavy" is the only way to describe it, and it was especially obvious dancing next to Hannahlei who seems to just soar.  Also loved Hannalei and Slavik's jazz routine.  That's probably my favorite Jazz routine ever on this show.  And I have to say we thought she did a good job of keeping up with Fikshun.  Usually we don't even notice whoever is dancing with him because he just draws the eye, but we thought the two of them were pretty well matched (obviously he's much better at that style, but he did a good job of not overpowering her in the routine), and she managed to keep some of our focus on her.  We also loved Robert and Jensen's dance, although to be honest, we would really have loved to have seen that dance with Robert and Hannalei.  Again Jensen performed it well, but Hannahlei would have given it an otherworldly quality.  Jensen is just more 'pedestrian' maybe?  I don't know what it is - I just can't warm up to her.  And watching her and Lindsey together, it was so clear that Jensen is not in Lindsey's league as a dancer.  Hate to break it to her, but she may always be Lindsey's sister to us.  Hoping she doesn't end up on DWTS.  We still love that show and have zero interest in seeing Jensen on it.  Magda maybe.  Cole maybe.  But not Jensen.

Anyway, really hoping for a Hannahlei win.  :)

ITA that Lindsay is the better dancer. But Lindsay has improved a lot since her SYTYCD days. We have had brother/sister dancers on DWTS (Derek/Julianne), and brother/brother dancers on DWTS (Maks/Val.) Only thing lacking is sister/sister dancers on DWTS. Lindsay/Jensen fit that bill. I don't think Jensen will automatically start off as a pro dancer, but I do see DWTS putting her in the troupe next year. Even if she doesn't win SYTYCD, none of the other people who switched over to DWTS won SYTYCD either. And Jensen got in the top 4, which I believe is the highest of all of them.  It would not bother me if Jensen went over to DWTS.

Edited by BeeBop88
  • Love 2

I think that, all things being equal, Hannalei should win.  She is clearly the best all-around dancer this season.  I was happy to see Melanie back and for Travis to call her SYTYCD Royalty.  She just finished up in Hello Dolly which ended its Broadway run on 8/25.  It's the third major Broadway show that she's been.  The first one was Finding Neverland as the dancing Peter Pan and then it was Chana, one of Tevya's three daughters in Fiddler on the Roof.  There were some rehearsal clips of Fiddler on YouTube and it turns out that Melanie has a very sweet singing voice.  Three Broadway shows isn't a bad resume.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I thought last week's show was better than this week's.  Nigel, no!!  This was not the best top four contestants or show through all the seasons.  We needed Jay Jay and Darius to be in it.  I wish it was Darius, Jay Jay, Jensen, and Hannahlei.  I wanted Darius to win based on both technique and the ability to emote/perform or do the character correctly.  Although yes, he does "cheat" to look more flexible.

I cant even believe nigel ass could get himself to say this was the best top 4 and show all season, is he crazy??? Last week show was def. the best of the season choreography and just all over vibe until elimination. The top four this season was C for average. The choreography was lacking and it just wasnt cutting it. I agree we needed jj and darius. I loved watching darius dance because he is so tall and strong and had a maturity to him the other guys were lacking to be just 19.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Robert is a beautiful contemporary dancer.  I don't think he's that great with hip-hop because I remember Bodiak Yellow last year.  He made me laugh in that one and not in a good way.

That whole routine was awful. Lu brown lost me with that one, LOL. I mean Robert and Taylor were both awful for the judges to go wow on that performance. That is when I finally saw the judges for who they were.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I thought Jakob did a great job performing when he did the Sonja piece with Ellenore.  That's another season where it wouldn't have been a shame to have Jakob, Kathryn, or Ellenore win over Russell.

Dance appreciation is subjective.  I thought Ellenore was the star of the Sonja piece.  For me, Jakob was good at making his partner look good (ex Mollee) because my eyes went to them.  Russell was a great performer.   So, I have no problem with his win.  He was versatile and dynamic in his specialty.  At first, Ellenore was my choice that season.  After Kathryn danced with Ryan, I changed to her.  But I have less of an issue with the Russell win than the Jeanine win.  I do agree that she had (or they showed her to have) a funny personality.  But when there're two or more dancers better in your specialty and there were no breakout couple routines, I have to put you in the "nice personality" category.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, crossover said:

Dance appreciation is subjective.  I thought Ellenore was the star of the Sonja piece.  For me, Jakob was good at making his partner look good (ex Mollee) because my eyes went to them.  Russell was a great performer.   So, I have no problem with his win.  He was versatile and dynamic in his specialty.  At first, Ellenore was my choice that season.  After Kathryn danced with Ryan, I changed to her.  But I have less of an issue with the Russell win than the Jeanine win.  I do agree that she had (or they showed her to have) a funny personality.  But when there're two or more dancers better in your specialty and there were no breakout couple routines, I have to put you in the "nice personality" category.

Yes, it certainly is subjective.  At the time I thought Jakob or Kathryn because of their technique.  I had a love for Ellenore then that has only grown over time.  She's absolutely a star.  I didn't feel Russell brought much of anything outside of his style, including performance quality, which was problematic for me.  When they had him move to the front edge of the stage and sit down for several eight counts during a group number was just too far for me and I felt showed him unworthy of the win.  I would have loved for him to return to the show since then and dazzle me with his magic in his comfort zone so that I can appreciate his talents again and let go of that bad impression.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Philip and others show why you don't necessarily need to win this show to benefit from it.

The poster children for this have to be Travis and Twitch.  Many of those who have gone on to arguably the greatest success have not been the winners.  

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Yes, it certainly is subjective.  At the time I thought Jakob or Kathryn because of their technique.  I had a love for Ellenore then that has only grown over time.  She's absolutely a star.  I didn't feel Russell brought much of anything outside of his style, including performance quality, which was problematic for me.  When they had him move to the front edge of the stage and sit down for several eight counts during a group number was just too far for me and I felt showed him unworthy of the win.  I would have loved for him to return to the show since then and dazzle me with his magic in his comfort zone so that I can appreciate his talents again and let go of that bad impression.

Really don't remember which routine you are talking about?  I remember him being hurt at the end but voting had ended.  It seems like the choreographers put him in the front quite a bit in the group routines? I remember one group that had all of them on the edge.  Also remember him as not performing with his partner in the beginning.

Really doesn't matter.  As we've agreed, dance appreciation is subjective.  I liked Russell's performances and you didn't.  But I don't expect to be dazzled because of the time limit they have.  I guess that's why I still enjoy the show, for the most part. 

World of Dance has some routines that should dazzle most people.