Type keyword(s) to search

MAFS Honeymoon Island: Spinoff Discussion Spot

• Start Topic

20 participants unlucky in love -- both fan-favorite MAFS participants and previously unmatched candidates, as well as new singles -- gathering together on an island for an opportunity to make connections with each other.

St. Lucia is the romantic setting for MAFS:Honeymoon Island

https://www.realitytvworld.com/news/married-at-first-sight-experts-dr-jessica-griffin-and-pastor-calvin-roberson-wrap-secret-project-24516.php#uw6bqTZesGXwyXZJ.99

• Love 2

I like the idea of the show (and I’ll watch), but I wish the experts from MAFS we’re not involved. Dr. Jessica is already involved with that train wreck of a show Seven Year Switch.  The experts are QUACKS who deserve to lose any professional credentials they have.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 8
49 minutes ago, PityFree said:

I like the idea of the show (and I’ll watch), but I wish the experts from MAFS we’re not involved. Dr. Jessica is already involved with that train wreck of a show Seven Year Switch.  The experts are QUACKS who deserve to lose any professional credentials they have.

I wish I could give you five "likes" on that one!! 

Those so-called 'experts' have chosen spouses completely inappropriate for marriage to anyone, one time too many (at least).

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

This still seems to be the only thread about the new show. 

Did anyone else watch it?

I did.  It  has some hope of being decent.  The really good looking guy who showed up by himself and then his 'partner' showing up later?  He's gonna have his hands full with her.

Was looking for the forum topic, but it looks like it hasn't been set up yet, at this writing.

• Love 7

I watched and it was better than i expected.  Agree w b2H about that woman and the hot guy.  Found it funny that in the previews they bring back a single woman because she has chemistry with one of the guys that is already coupled up. On married at first sight they make a big deal about being committed and getting rid of your dating profiles, and on this show they’re setting people up with multiple dates. 

• Love 1

The show was ok. I guess i thought we would see more familiar faces.  I didn't like that they had to pair up after 24 hours. I think it would have been better to have a week of dating, maybe everyone had to do a 30 minute speed date and meet and talk to everyone once before choosing. I guess the show is suppose to be he opposite of married at first sight? It is suppose to be based on who you think it hot and then see if that works? 

Ill give it a chance. I think I'm more interested in happily ever after. 

• Love 12
58 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

The show was ok. I guess i thought we would see more familiar faces.  I didn't like that they had to pair up after 24 hours.

Me. neither. Too fast. Give them 48 hours, they'd at least have enough time to talk to more than one or two people.

I think it would have been better to have... maybe everyone had to do a 30 minute speed date and meet and talk to everyone once before choosing.

Good idea! Although, I'd say 20 minutes. (If you've run out of things to talk about after 20 minutes, that person is not for you.)

I guess the show is suppose to be... based on who you think it hot and then see if that works? 

I guess that's what they had in mind. But they said the connection could either be physical attraction or personality compatibility... and 24 hrs is not long enough to learn which of 12 people is most compatible for your personality.

So yeah, they were pretty much forced to go with"hotness".

Ill give it a chance. I think I'm more interested in happily ever after. 

Actually, I'm the other way around. I'm thinking Happily Ever After is going to be a lot of talk about fixing up rooms for babies, maybe finding larger homes, and (of course) "morning sickness" attacks in the middle of meals.

• Love 5

I was happy to see the tattoo guy (Chris?) pick substance over lust by picking Jada over the blonde, especially after he said the only thing keeping him from picking Jada was that he was "way more physically attracted" to the other girl (read: she's white and blonde). And Jada is stunning! Shame on producers for risking her match to bring the other girl back for drama.

I really like Shannon, but Kimber clearly doesn't want kids. People don't like being convinced either way.  Obvious deal breaker.

Well, Isabella certainly has a type. Her dude is basically if David became a gym bro. I don't...get it.

Brandin is already showing herself to be a high maintenance, insecure piece of work. She's Amber 10 years ago.

I'm with everyone on the too-short matching period. We barely saw everyone who went home. Couldn't the rejects at least be given a chance to pair off with each other before being exiled?

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Booger666 said:

Found it funny that in the previews they bring back a single woman because she has chemistry with one of the guys that is already coupled up. On married at first sight they make a big deal about being committed and getting rid of your dating profiles, and on this show they’re setting people up with multiple dates. 

It seemed to me like the "experts" (especially "Pastor" Cal) really really wanted him to pick blondie.  And since he didn't they are going to try to force it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, princelina said:

It seemed to me like the "experts" (especially "Pastor" Cal) really really wanted him to pick blondie.  And since he didn't they are going to try to force it.

Either that, or they know something about Jade that we don't...

Maybe they just want a "token" biracial couple? I don't know.

2 hours ago, Crazy Bird Lady said:

Either that, or they know something about Jade that we don't...

Maybe they just want a "token" biracial couple? I don't know.

After the colorism debacle this season, it's not a good look for the show to tout the matches as "locked" potential marriages and then turn around and try to seduce (only) the guy who picked the (only) dark skinned black woman with a white blonde woman. He already picked Jada on the basis of supposedly being able to envision their wedding, so even he acknowledges his attraction to the other woman is looks-driven. I don't know why Pastor Cal would be trying to stir up shit. I think he was just annoyed that the guy had the nerve to ditch the blonde woman after telling her she was his future wife, when [Chris?] basically admitted that he knew he had a better emotional connection with Jada, but was having trouble giving up the opportunity to bang the blonde (what's her name???).

• Love 4

I was very disappointed.  The entire setting was something out of Smarmy-ville.  This is not the MAFS "brand".  That's why I like it over all The Bachelor crap shows.  Do these people live near each other?  I know the one couple does, which was purely coincidental I think, but I don't think the others do.  So how realistic is it to uproot yourself (probably moving and quitting your job) for someone you've known for 3 weeks?  

The whole concept of MAFS is to be matched with someone "on paper" you have a lot in common with, and try to make a go of a relationship.  Whether you're attracted at first sight to the person or not (JAIME).  Instead, they put these people on some dumb island, totally copycatting Bachelor in Paradise type shows, and go for connections that are based truly on chemistry.  Would Ashley have given Anthony a second look if she met him on one of these shows?  These people say they are serious about getting married and you put them in this cattle call?  

Instead of a dumb island and scaring everyone that if they don't match up in 24 hours they will be booted, bring them all together and let them meet and talk, then give a schedule of "dates" they go out on.  They must spend some time with each person of the opposite sex.  And not going out to lunch or at a bar.  Go out grocery shopping together and prepare a meal.  Go apartment hunting.  Spend time doing something a married couple would do together that isn't fun and glamorous, and then something that is fun.  And then every night there's free time where you get to hang out again with everyone and mingle with who you want.  At the end of a week or whatever, then you make your selections on paper as to who you would like to get to know better.  You can name more than one person.  If the other person also chose you, then it gets more narrowed down.  

• Love 14
43 minutes ago, JapMo said:

Instead of a dumb island and scaring everyone that if they don't match up in 24 hours they will be booted, bring them all together and let them meet and talk, then give a schedule of "dates" they go out on.  They must spend some time with each person of the opposite sex.  And not going out to lunch or at a bar.  Go out grocery shopping together and prepare a meal.  Go apartment hunting.  Spend time doing something a married couple would do together that isn't fun and glamorous, and then something that is fun.  And then every night there's free time where you get to hang out again with everyone and mingle with who you want.  At the end of a week or whatever, then you make your selections on paper as to who you would like to get to know better.  You can name more than one person.  If the other person also chose you, then it gets more narrowed down.  

I like that; you should pitch it somewhere.

I agree this show reeks of smarmy.

• Love 8
On 10/24/2018 at 2:19 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Brandin is already showing herself to be a high maintenance, insecure piece of work. She's Amber 10 years ago.

10 years ago?  Try last week.  Amber is high maintenance and incredibly insecure and the fool she ended up with played that, which didn't make me very happy.

• Love 5

I'm confused.  The "experts" talk about having people who are good matches on paper, but then allow them to pair up based on short-term attraction?  Why bother matching them on paper at all?

• Love 3
On 10/24/2018 at 11:23 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

After the colorism debacle this season, it's not a good look for the show to tout the matches as "locked" potential marriages and then turn around and try to seduce (only) the guy who picked the (only) dark skinned black woman with a white blonde woman. He already picked Jada on the basis of supposedly being able to envision their wedding, so even he acknowledges his attraction to the other woman is looks-driven.

10 minutes ago, JLaw said:

It's important to remember... the job of the producers is to create a "compelling" TV show... not "compelling" couples

I don't know why Pastor Cal would be trying to stir up shit. I think he was just annoyed that the guy had the nerve to ditch the blonde woman after telling her she was his future wife, when [Chris?] basically admitted that he knew he had a better emotional connection with Jada, but was having trouble giving up the opportunity to bang the blonde (what's her name???).

I'm thinking racial similarities and differences make good TV drama. If they fight a lot about what to do for fun and who to hang out with, etc, so much the better! The jealousy angle between Jade and the blonde bombshell wanting the same man was just too good for them to pass up, and they chose to drag it out. I'm thinking this is all about creating maximum drama --(and hot, half-naked sexy scenes--not cute, happy-ever-after couples who stare deep into each other's eyes.

• Love 4
On 10/24/2018 at 8:20 PM, princelina said:

I highly doubt that's case. Double for the especially pastor Cal part because that man seems to really dislike interracial dating. Especially when black people are the ones doing it.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Racj82 said:

I highly doubt that's case. Double for the especially pastor Cal part because that man seems to really dislike interracial dating. Especially when black people are the ones doing it.

Until I saw this show I would have agreed with this wholeheartedly!  But to my surprise, it seemed to me that "Pastor" Cal was not only disappointed, but actively trying to get him to change his mind.  And then disappointed again when he walked out with Jada.

• Love 3

Did they say this whole thing lasted three weeks? Is that three weeks on tv or real time three weeks? After the 24 hour or you’re out rule I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just a quick resort week to save money. Not that MAFS is a high class quality show but it doesn’t have quite as slimy a vibe as this is starting with. I don’t know these folks and will be surprised if learn anyone’s name before they’re gone. 

• Love 3
On 10/24/2018 at 9:21 AM, b2H said:

I did.  It  has some hope of being decent.  The really good looking guy who showed up by himself and then his 'partner' showing up later?  He's gonna have his hands full with her.

For whatever reason, I get the vibe from her of that annoying Taylor on Bachelor from Nick's season and who got engaged to Derek (John Krasinski look-alike) on Bachelor in Paradise. 

On 10/24/2018 at 1:19 PM, silverspoons said:

The show was ok. I guess i thought we would see more familiar faces. 

Yes, they suckered me in.  I thought that it would be previous actual MAFS contestants, and not just MAFS Second Chances runner-ups.

On 10/24/2018 at 1:19 PM, silverspoons said:

I didn't like that they had to pair up after 24 hours. I think it would have been better to have a week of dating, maybe everyone had to do a 30 minute speed date and meet and talk to everyone once before choosing.

On 10/25/2018 at 10:39 AM, JapMo said:

Yes to either/both of these, over the stupidity of the actual premise.  What makes no sense is that without enough time to really make a choice, they are paired up and then supposedly the remainder of the show is to help strengthen their relationships.  But who says the relationships should even be strengthened?  It should be like natural selection, where better relationships will prosper and the weaker ones will die on their own.

21 hours ago, lh25 said:

I'm confused.  The "experts" talk about having people who are good matches on paper, but then allow them to pair up based on short-term attraction?  Why bother matching them on paper at all?

Good point.  I don't think we even knew who was supposedly matched with whom.  That might have been an interesting premise, to have the couples see if they really vibed with their match or preferred someone else.

• Love 5

Watched the first episode and set the DVR to record this..  I'm ashamed that this is the kind of TV that I watch; I don't enjoy it I'm just hooked.  But it doesn't surprise me, these dumb dating shows just lure me in.  I've seen almost every episode of dating in the dark (US / UK and AUS).  I think it's because I like guessing what's going to happen.

Anyways, Dr. Blondie's statement about the couple that loves to travel: "I'm a little worried about them, they need to have deeper conversations.  They've barely scratched the surface."

Um....... they've only know each other for a day.  So yea.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Marsh said:

I've seen almost every episode of dating in the dark (US / UK and AUS).  

I only remember one season in the US of Dating in the Dark.  Is it still on?  I really liked the uniqueness of the premise.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I only remember one season in the US of Dating in the Dark.  Is it still on?  I really liked the uniqueness of the premise.

I'm not sure if it's still on the air, but I watched them on YouTube.

• Love 1

Anyone watching? Wanting kids or not is a big deal. I don’t think that I could have married my husband if he didn’t want to have a child. I don’t think it’s really something that you can compromise on either. Like if someone really wanted kids and someone knew for sure they didn’t. IMO it’s a dealbreaker 

• Love 8

Yes I agree, you shouldn't try to convince someone to change their mind when it comes to kids. I've had friends change their mind for their partners, and I always wondered if they will regret it later in life.  

Kimber looks pretty set on not wanting to have kids.  She's not changing her mind.

Edit: I keep thinking about what kind of person would go on these shows..  Are they that desperate to get married?  Are they not aware of MAFS's failure rate?  I'm assuming the majority of them just want to be on TV.

Edited by Marsh
Light lunch
  • Love 8

I think that the kid thing is actually contrived conflict for the couple.  

I am detesting hearing them all talk about "moving in together".  Please, it's just sharing a room at a resort.

Chris seems like such a player.  When he was talking about what he had learned from his past mistakes, it just sounded like such a line.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Marsh said:

Edit: I keep thinking about what kind of person would go on these shows..  Are they that desperate to get married?  Are they not aware of MAFS's failure rate?  I'm assuming the majority of them just want to be on TV.

I would think that if someone was interested in having a meaningful, serious long-term relationship that the LAST place they would look is a reality teevee show set on a tropical island.  I think that the main goal of every single participant is to win their very own spinoff.  I know that we are supposed to remember the name of the resort, since they mention it every single segment, but it's not sticking with me. 

• Love 7

So day four is fantasy suites for a couple of weeks? Way to keep it classy show! These people are so interchangeable to me. Talk about the chemistry, insert a talking head about fears from previous relationships, show the couple hanging on each other in the pool, have the guy make a vaguely suggestive remark and have the girl giggle and fake slap at the guy. Lather, rinse, repeat. Why am I watching this again?

• Love 6

I suppose the bellowed "go home...ALONE" will be this show's equivalent to LEGALLY MARRIED."

I really didn't think the "experts" could look any worse than they do on MAFS.  I was especially amused when Pastor Cal announced that they had matched up 21 couples and that 5 were still together.  That means that their divorce rate is considerably higher than the divorce rate for the country.

• Love 9
22 hours ago, call me ishmael said:

I suppose the bellowed "go home...ALONE" will be this show's equivalent to LEGALLY MARRIED."

I really didn't think the "experts" could look any worse than they do on MAFS.  I was especially amused when Pastor Cal announced that they had matched up 21 couples and that 5 were still together.  That means that their divorce rate is considerably higher than the divorce rate for the country.

OMG, I didn't think about this.  You are so right!

Divorce rate in the U.S. is.....50%?  60%?  

5 out of 21 couples = 24% still married.  And I bet some of those are hanging by a thread (I'm looking at you, Shawniece/Jephte, Ashley/guy from Chicago).

So a 76% DIVORCE rate when the "best experts" matched all these couples.

Edited by Sterling
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Sterling said:

5 out of 21 couples = 24% still married.  And I bet some of those are hanging by a thread (I'm looking at you, Shawniece/Jephte, Ashley/guy from Chicago).

But we all know that all couples could of worked if they put the effort in afterall they were matched in a legally binding marriage for a reason /sarcasm

If nobody works from Honeymoon Island that won't be on the experts as they chose themselves this time. This iteration has really jumped the shark, if they wanted to be taken seriously they would still been matched, this is just going down the AU/NZ route of throwing them all together and watchimg the drama unfold.

As more time passes I am seriously side eyeing the Carrions being together, they swear they are fine but have lived in seperate states for months now and haven't even been in the same place since the 4th July.

Edited by crazychicken
forgot an important word Duh
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Sterling said:

There are lot of other factors influencing a marriage from a reality TV show like this. Did they participate because they truly wanted to be married or are they modern day soap opera stars?  I personally cannot imagine anyone I know doing this to get married.

Edited by endure
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, crazychicken said:

As more time passes I am seriously side eyeing the Carrions being together, they swear they are fine but have lived in seperate states for months now and haven't even been in the same place since the 4th July.

Seriously?  Did she technically move alone to North Carolina (or whatever southern state she's from), while he's still in NY?

I had no idea.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Sterling said:

Seriously?  Did she technically move alone to North Carolina (or whatever southern state she's from), while he's still in NY?

I had no idea.

She has been living and working in NC for months and he is still a NYC firefighter and has really upped his wrestling stuff. She was in NY a few weeks back while Jason was overseas it is strange that she came back to NY while he was away, they both insist that the marriage is fine though so I am puzzled.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, crazychicken said:

She has been living and working in NC for months and he is still a NYC firefighter and has really upped his wrestling stuff. She was in NY a few weeks back while Jason was overseas it is strange that she came back to NY while he was away, they both insist that the marriage is fine though so I am puzzled.

Hmmmmm......very puzzling indeed.

Towards the end of their season, I sensed drama brewing.  She was constantly upset at all the time his firefighting training was taking, and when he graduated, she thought that meant it would get easier.  But since he was the newest class, he got assigned all the holidays, nights, etc., which made her upset.  

Add to all this, his lifelong, little-boy dream of becoming a NYC Firefighter, which was enhanced after 9/11, was something she tried to squash with her insistence that they move to NC.

I had bad feelings about this back then.  Hope I'm wrong, but if they're spending that much time apart, it may be crumbling.

Thanks for the updates!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, crazychicken said:

They may be under contract to stay married for a while or at least not say anything until these spin offs are done. That way they can say they have "5 happily married couples" (LOL), for now.

• Love 3
On 11/2/2018 at 12:00 PM, gonecrackers said:

They may be under contract to stay married for a while or at least not say anything until these spin offs are done. That way they can say they have "5 happily married couples" (LOL), for now.

Probably! I think the only ones who are truly happy are Ashley & Anthony/Danielle & Bobby. Jephte stayed because Shawniece was pregnant. Doesn't seem like Courtney and Jason are doing well especially since they are living in different places. And, I never bought that Jamie was actually into Doug- just into the fact that she is on TV.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Lusterleaf said:

And, I never bought that Jamie was actually into Doug- just into the fact that she is on TV.

Jamie wasn't physically attracted to him since the beginning.  I don't think that grows over time, it's either there or it's not.

This girl loves being on TV.  But I think I know her plan - move up the ranks, get a divorce and land a rich/celebrity husband (and possibly use them to further her career).  If she becomes likeable enough then she won't lose her "celebrity" status when she applies for divorce.  OR- if her husband cheats, then she will apply for divorce and gain sympathy from others.  Either way she can't lose.

It's the perfect plan.  Hey, good for her she's an entrepreneur. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Marsh said:

Jamie wasn't physically attracted to him since the beginning.  I don't think that grows over time, it's either there or it's not.

This girl loves being on TV.  But I think I know her plan - move up the ranks, get a divorce and land a rich/celebrity husband (and possibly use them to further her career).  If she becomes likeable enough then she won't lose her "celebrity" status when she applies for divorce.  OR- if her husband cheats, then she will apply for divorce and gain sympathy from others.  Either way she can't lose.

It's the perfect plan.  Hey, good for her she's an entrepreneur. 

She's probably laid down a good escape plan by openly talking about Doug's financial irresponsibility...this way she does not look like the bad guy for leaving him if better opportunities arise. 

• Love 2
On 11/1/2018 at 11:34 PM, Sterling said:

The U.S. divorce rate is closer to 30%.  The idea that the divorce rate is 50% is based on just taking the number of marriages and divorces in a given calendar year and basing the statistic on that.  To be a more accurate reflection, one has to consider all of the existing marriages along with the new marriages and then factoring the divorce rate.  So, if there were 1,000 marriages in a calendar year and 500 divorces in a calendar year it would appear that the divorce rate is 50%.  However, factoring in the already existing marriages would then lower the divorce rate (i.e. there were already 1,000 married couples prior to the year's 1,000 marriages which would put the number of married couples at 2,000; the number of 500 divorces would then result in a 25% divorce rate [more or less]).  This is actually the example I use with my students to help them understand that sometimes statistics do not represent actual values (and that, gasp, numbers can "lie" based on how they are used).

Edited to add: it's still a fairly high percentage...

Edited by seacliffsal
  • Love 3