Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Recommended Posts

Quote

Now that's a movie that screams "romance". But congrats on it working for you!

Well there is the romance between Liv Tyler and Ben Affleck. 

And the love theme song, I don't want to miss a thing.  It was nominated for an Oscar as best original song

Also nominated for a number of Raspberry awards, including "winner" as worst actor Bruce Willis.  Oddly it was nominated for a rasperberry for worst original song as well, the same one. 

But no not really a great story for the ages to tell the grandkids about one day

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

The fishiest name I could think of was Scalia, even though I knew he wasn't Chief. How ridiculous is that? I wonder if I would have had the guts to actually write that down.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

The fishiest name I could think of was Scalia, even though I knew he wasn't Chief. How ridiculous is that? I wonder if I would have had the guts to actually write that down.

Write it "scale-ia"

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I wonder if I would have had the guts to actually write that down.

The fish guts?

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew FJ tonight chiefly because of my brother: he loved the trivia fact that Salmon P. Chase is on the $10,000 bill. Chase Bank is also named for him. (Salmon P., not my brother!)

I should've known that one - one of the very few politics questions I should've gotten - but I didn't.

5 hours ago, ABay said:

I knew Salman P. Chase because Samuel Chase is the Maryland delegate in 1776...although exactly how I got from one to the other, I'm not entirely sure.

Whatever works :-)

17 hours ago, lb60 said:

Bachelor, asteroids, and Regan were my only gets tonight.

I got those.

17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

retina

And that one.  I was surprised that no one guessed it.

17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Maytag being from Iowa was an easy peasy DD/TS for me. What about you guys? We've discussed Maytag Blue Cheese here in the past. And the fact that I don't live all that far from Maytag's original Iowa headquarters in Newton. And the fact it put almost the entire population of Newton on the unemployment list when it shut down.

I had no idea.  I only knew Gatorade = Florida because of the Univ of FL Gators, and Goodyear = Ohio because questions about the blimps have shown up on Jeopardy before.

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I swear I heard middle guy say "orangutang" instead of "orangutan"

Me too.

That Casper TS was really shocking.  You'd think one of the contestants would've either heard of Casper, Wyoming or Casper the Friendly Ghost.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Oddly it was nominated for a rasperberry for worst original song as well, the same one.

And that is the award that song deserved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I like the new champ, but agree with the um, uh, etc. Although I am afraid that would be me if I were to ever make it on the show. 

Genre 🍹

TS I got were Bachelor in Paradise, Iowa & asteroid (Dave's missed DDs), Reagan. FJ took a moment but I came up with it in time. 

@Prevailing Wind - Glad Stella is doing well. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

That Casper TS was really shocking.  You'd think one of the contestants would've either heard of Casper, Wyoming or Casper the Friendly Ghost.

I'm such a dolt, I misheard/misread the clue and said "Custer," as in Custer, Montana. Custer did turn into a ghost after the battle there. Geographically close, but no Jeopardy cigar for me. I even bought Casper the Friendly Ghost comics on a regular basis when I was a kid.

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

In addition to the 4-letter trick to associate the Inca with Peru, you can remember that the "u" in Peru turned upside down is the "n" in Inca. Neither Aztec nor Maya* has an "n" -- nor does Olmec, another central-south American culture (frequently overlooked).

*There is an "n" in Mayan, but that is typically used for the language.

I got Chase for FJ, which is to be expected, I guess, since I live in the Fishbowl.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I should've known that one - one of the very few politics questions I should've gotten - but I didn't.

Whatever works 🙂

That Casper TS was really shocking.  You'd think one of the contestants would've either heard of Casper, Wyoming or Casper the Friendly Ghost.

I had a Casper the ghost doll. His body was terrycloth, and when you pulled his string, he'd say "I am Casper the friendly ghost and I like you!" I moved around a lot, and he was my comfort doll.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

See, 1776 tripped me up—I always get Samuel Chase mixed up with Salmon P. Chase and think the he/they are all 18th century people. The only Chief Justice I know from the 19th century is that horrible one who ruled in the Dred Scott case and whose name I can’t recall offhand.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

See, 1776 tripped me up—I always get Samuel Chase mixed up with Salmon P. Chase and think the he/they are all 18th century people. The only Chief Justice I know from the 19th century is that horrible one who ruled in the Dred Scott case and whose name I can’t recall offhand.

Roger Taney.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Instaget FJ for me today.  I'm surprised the former champ didn't get it.  Congrats to the new champ!

Is it bad that I kind of loved the weird Irish category?  Silly, yes, but fun.

I managed to get the TS/missed DD of Air Force, decimal, Phil O'Dendron, and Lister.  I would have to turn in my microbiologist card if I'd missed Lister!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I got FJ two days in a row.  What are the odds of that?

I also got Air Force and Lister.  I got the entire Presidential category right. Whoo-Hoo.  But, I got the entire category of called out in song wrong, and I refuse to feel bad about that.  I did better in the Irish category than I expected to.  Sometimes I have a lot of trouble with the cutesy categories.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

So I guess LBJ was never a Senator or they would've asked for a bms on the answer of Johnson? (I suck at American History)

Edited by Writing Wrongs

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

So I guess LBJ was never a Senator or they would've asked for a bms on the answer of Johnson? (I suck at American History)

He was in the Senate. In fact, he was Senate Majority leader.  He wasn't impeached.  I hadn't noticed that the player didn't say Andrew, but yes, they should have asked for a BMS.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Is it bad that I kind of loved the weird Irish category?  Silly, yes, but fun.

When I asked a friend if she had put her Irish furniture outside yet, she was all, "Huh?" And I said, "Yes, your Pati O'Furniture." And she about passed out laughing. I thought everyone knew that old joke. Needless to say, I liked that category too.

My immediate thought for FJ was, in an Arnold accent, "I'll be baaack." Thankfully, I changed it to the correct answer in time. I'm surprised none of the players guessed the Arnold line.

Otherwise, after I got Air Force Academy I paid little attention to any other TSs. Today was a Wandering Mind Day.

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm so glad Stella is okay. What a relief, no? But exploratory surgery is not fun for anyone. There should be enough lap for Bosco to join in your Jeopardy watching. One arm/hand per cat. Problem solved!

Thanks! Bosco, though, is HUGE. He's closing in on 16 pounds, and that's after 3 years on diet food!  Lil Stella, with all her puking has whittled down to 9 pounds. I'm trying to put more weight back on her. She's such a sweetheart. We DO manage to squeeze two cats on my one lap - with the recliner's foot up, Stella's further toward my knees, Bosco's up under my chin. It gets hard for me to breathe with all that cat on my chest. Hahahaha.

I got FJ tonight without even thinking about it. AT's "good for you" at Emma's interview actually sounded sincere and not just a conversation closer.  "Johnson" should have gotten a BMS.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

My immediate thought for FJ was, in an Arnold accent, "I'll be baaack." Thankfully, I changed it to the correct answer in time. I'm surprised none of the players guessed the Arnold line.

I’m pretty sure I would have confidently lost all my money with “I will return “

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

The Harding TS surprised me in that no one even guessed one of the eight options to choose from (since the clue specified he died in office).  Same with the Air Force Academy clue, with only five options and not a single one of them guessed.

Alex was funny with his yes, we went there reaction to Phil O'Dendron.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Stella's further toward my knees, Bosco's up under my chin. It gets hard for me to breathe with all that cat on my chest.

Switch, put the 9-pounder Stella under your chin, Bosco by your knees. Although I know they have their own fav places. But your breathing will be easier!

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

AT's "good for you" at Emma's interview actually sounded sincere and not just a conversation closer.

I know, I thought the same. He sounded like he actually meant it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/26/2019 at 10:16 AM, PaulaO said:

Should we discuss Don vs. dawn?....

On 3/26/2019 at 4:39 PM, peeayebee said:

NOOOOOOOOO!

I agree! I’ve seen perfectly civilized forums devolve into vitriol and bannings over less. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Johnson definitely needed a BMS.

I got Air Force Academy, philodendren, and Schweitzer (whom I had pictured a couple of weeks ago when trying to come up with some other guy's name).

I did not get FJ. I was torn betw the matchbooks being from England or the USA. I tried to make "Keep calm" into a 3-word phrase, then the best I could come up with was "Stay the course."

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I know they specified a scene with Jack but I thought This is Us was a bad fit for the category because only the flashbacks take place in Pittsburgh. It bugs because the writers on that show are so stupid about locations.

How high were the writers when they came up with the Irish People? Category?

FJ was an IG because I have an uncle who collects military memorabilia and has one.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I know they specified a scene with Jack but I thought This is Us was a bad fit for the category because only the flashbacks take place in Pittsburgh.

That's interesting.  I don't watch the show, but I got it right because, as a football fan, the "terrible towel" part of the clue made it an instaget.  Alex's explanation of the category when it was revealed was "You have to identify the primary city in which the TV show is set," so if that show is primarily set someplace else, that's a little wonky that only the clue within the clue will get you to the right answer.  But I just read the Wikipedia article about the series, and it made it sound like Pittsburgh is the primary location - that episodes contain both present-day events and flashbacks to the past, and present-day is spread out among several cities (as are the characters in real time) while the flashbacks generally take place in Pittsburgh (where the family grew up).  Is that not true?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

But I just read the Wikipedia article about the series, and it made it sound like Pittsburgh is the primary location - that episodes contain both present-day events and flashbacks to the past, and present-day is spread out among several cities (as are the characters in real time) while the flashbacks generally take place in Pittsburgh (where the family grew up).  Is that not true?

Yes the flashbacks take place in Pittsburgh and LA/NJ/Philadelphia are where the present day scenes take place so it isn’t technically incorrect it’s just the way locations are used on the show is ridiculous which is why I said it wasn’t a good fit for the category not that the answer was incorrect.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

Yes the flashbacks take place in Pittsburgh and LA/NJ/Philadelphia are where the present day scenes take place so it isn’t technically incorrect it’s just the way locations are used on the show is ridiculous which is why I said it wasn’t a good fit for the category not that the answer was incorrect.

I suspect that's why they specified primary location in describing the category (since Pittsburgh seems to indeed be the primary location if the show is half flashbacks and all flashbacks take place in Pittsburgh while present-day scenes are spread out among several cities), and included the clue within the clue since just saying, effectively, "This is Us is primarily set here" would be different than saying that about the other shows.  But, yes, with all the shows set in one city with only occasional sojourns to others, perhaps it should have been left out altogether rather than taking additional steps to fit the category.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Bastet said:

describing the category (since Pittsburgh seems to indeed be the primary location if the show is half flashbacks and all flashbacks take place in Pittsburgh while present-day scenes are spread out among several cities), 

It’s not half the show particularly now when there are FFwds and more concentrated action and FB that don’t occur in Pittsburgh, etc.

Share this post


Link to post

The less said about tonight's game the better.

In other news, I'm feeling especially stupid since the All-Star tournament. I'm blaming that abomination (too strong?) for completely throwing me off my game.

<sad>

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I had brain freeze on Lister, which is pretty pathetic since I just recently listened to a great podcast interview with an author who has a new bio about him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I got Lister and Air Force Acedemy, maybe others, I can never remember the ones I get after the show

I was thinking Remember Pearl Harbor for FJ, like Remember the Alamo.  But what would Filipinos care about Pearl Harbor?  All I had

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

My immediate thought for FJ was, in an Arnold accent, "I'll be baaack." Thankfully, I changed it to the correct answer in time. I'm surprised none of the players guessed the Arnold line.

Me, too.  I was like, wait that's not right. LOL.

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I agree with everyone who said that the Johnson answer should have had a BMS. I got Air Force Academy, the DD decimal, Phil O’Dendron, the DD Kellogg, and Lister. Stumped on FJ. 

I was debating about signing up for the test, but my performance this week is telling me that I’m not good enough. We’ll see. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I agree with everyone who said that the Johnson answer should have had a BMS. I got Air Force Academy, the DD decimal, Phil O’Dendron, the DD Kellogg, and Lister. Stumped on FJ. 

I was debating about signing up for the test, but my performance this week is telling me that I’m not good enough. We’ll see. 

You should definitely take the test! I find when I watch there are some days when I know almost every answer and some days in when I wonder why the heck I think I'm good enough to be a contestant. There's no harm in taking the test. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me today.  I'm surprised the former champ didn't get it.  Congrats to the new champ!

Is it bad that I kind of loved the weird Irish category?  Silly, yes, but fun.

I managed to get the TS/missed DD of Air Force, decimal, Phil O'Dendron, and Lister.  I would have to turn in my microbiologist card if I'd missed Lister!

I enjoyed the Irish category (and don't usually like these kinds) and got everything but Phil O'Dendron - plants aren't my thing (I have a brown thumb).

I am rightly ashamed that I missed Air Force, given that was my father's service, and we lived right by the Academy for years (when I was a child)

13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Wait, "Johnson" is okay for senator/president? Did I miss something?

We thought it needed a BMS too.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Harding TS surprised me in that no one even guessed one of the eight options to choose from (since the clue specified he died in office).  Same with the Air Force Academy clue, with only five options and not a single one of them guessed.

Alex was funny with his yes, we went there reaction to Phil O'Dendron.

I had Harding's face in my mind, but Taft came out of my mouth. Sigh...

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I had brain freeze on Lister, which is pretty pathetic since I just recently listened to a great podcast interview with an author who has a new bio about him.

What is the book, please?  The newest I see is The Butchering Art: Joseph Lister's Quest to Transform the Grisly World of Victorian Medicine (2017).

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I got Lister and Air Force Acedemy, maybe others, I can never remember the ones I get after the show.

I sometimes go to the Jeopardy! Archives; helps jog my memory.

Yeah, liked Alex's reaction to the Irish category.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

FJ was an IG because I have an uncle who collects military memorabilia and has one.

Good for your uncle! This from TheJeoparyFan.com: "According to a 1995 Washington Post article, the matchbooks were worth $160 in 1995; they are definitely a prized collectible in 2019." There is a link to the WaPo article on the site.

I agree that This Is Us was a bad choice for location city, especially when there are so many other tv shows that could have been used instead. That show time travels to different places more than Timeless did.

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Did anyone else know there is a hair-cut style named The Caesar? Man, I sure didn't. I thought the picture looked like an extra-short "Moe" cut, but otherwise didn't have a clue. It was just a "regular" hair cut IMO.

Does every hair cut/hair style have a name now? If so, mine is High School Gym Hair, just fyi.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Great game for Steven! 

2 GFY! 🍹🍹

TS I got were Air Force, decimal (Steven's DD), Lister. FJ was an insta-guess - it came to me immediately, but I had no idea if it was right or not. 

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I had Harding's face in my mind, but Taft came out of my mouth. Sigh...

I pictured Taft, but knew it wasn't him. I said "the one with the illegitimate daughter", and Dr. Toothbrush replied, "Abraham Lincoln" Not even sure where that guess came from 😜

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Did anyone else know there is a hair-cut style named The Caesar? Man, I sure didn't. I thought the picture looked like an extra-short "Moe" cut, but otherwise didn't have a clue. It was just a "regular" hair cut IMO.

Does every hair cut/hair style have a name now? If so, mine is High School Gym Hair, just fyi.

I knew because George Clooney had (still has?) it and somehow that so very important fact stuck in my brain 🙄 I have a pixie cut, so of course took that clue as a shoutout to moi. HS gym hair sounds low maintenance - ponytail & you're good to go! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

19 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

See, 1776 tripped me up—I always get Samuel Chase mixed up with Salmon P. Chase and think the he/they are all 18th century people. The only Chief Justice I know from the 19th century is that horrible one who ruled in the Dred Scott case and whose name I can’t recall offhand.

Roger Taney - he actually was a good Justice, and his decisions on many other cases were sound, but that one - oy, it was so bad that there's no way to redeem his reputation after that.

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

I also got Air Force and Lister. 

I got Air Force.  Should've gotten Lister but could not drag his name out of my brain.  I did get Dr. Schweitzer.  I did better than I'd expect on the Presidential category, but worse than expected in Called Out In Song.

FJ was an insta-get for me.  Philippines + WWII = Bataan Death March = MacArthur = "I Shall Return"

17 hours ago, Katy M said:

He was in the Senate. In fact, he was Senate Majority leader.  He wasn't impeached.  I hadn't noticed that the player didn't say Andrew, but yes, they should have asked for a BMS.

Yep, part 2 of a biography of LBJ was titled "Master of the Senate".  One of the few political bios I know much about.

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Harding TS surprised me in that no one even guessed one of the eight options to choose from (since the clue specified he died in office). 

I had no idea that Harding died in office.  Presidential trivia is a really bad area for me.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't watch the show, but I got it right because, as a football fan, the "terrible towel" part of the clue made it an instaget.

I'm not a football fan, but know some Steelers fans, so the terrible towel was a dead giveaway.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Did anyone else know there is a hair-cut style named The Caesar? Man, I sure didn't. I thought the picture looked like an extra-short "Moe" cut, but otherwise didn't have a clue. It was just a "regular" hair cut IMO.

Does every hair cut/hair style have a name now? If so, mine is High School Gym Hair, just fyi.

Like Toothbrush, I knew it because of George Clooney.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

How high were the writers when they came up with the Irish People? Category?

I read that as Cat O'Gory.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Does every hair cut/hair style have a name now? If so, mine is High School Gym Hair, just fyi.

Mine is Anonymous.

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

I was unreasonably delighted by the "Tenth", "Doctor", and "Allons-y" categories. Judging by the lack of response in the studio and on here, the clue-writer and I are a party of two. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Samurai Lincoln said:

I was unreasonably delighted by the "Tenth", "Doctor", and "Allons-y" categories. Judging by the lack of response in the studio and on here, the clue-writer and I are a party of two. 

I noticed it, but was then severely disappointed that there was not a single "Doctor Who" related clue to be found anywhere.

Anyone else amused that Alex gave a preemptive "before their time" as soon as the World War II category was revealed?  Much as people like to make fun of that, he usually limits it to clues that are about pop culture in some way.  Movies, popular songs, fads--the sort of thing you don't learn about in school, but are most likely to be familiar to those who lived through them.  It's unusual for World War II to get a Before Their Time.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Driad said:

What is the book, please?  The newest I see is The Butchering Art: Joseph Lister's Quest to Transform the Grisly World of Victorian Medicine (2017).

Yep, that’s it! The podcast is Hidden Histories, and the ep was from the end of February. They recorded the ep in the Old Operating Theatre Museum in London, which adds an interesting touch when casual museum-goers can be heard commenting on what she is saying. I forgot that the show does point out the book is an award winner, and so not new.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Did anyone else know there is a hair-cut style named The Caesar? Man, I sure didn't. I thought the picture looked like an extra-short "Moe" cut, but otherwise didn't have a clue. It was just a "regular" hair cut IMO.

Does every hair cut/hair style have a name now? If so, mine is High School Gym Hair, just fyi.

For some reason I recognized it as Caesar's hair style, so I got it. I don't know many current hairstyles. Mine is old lady who does not want to spend more than 3 minutes in the morning.

Count me in on being both pleased and disappointed with the Doctor Who categories.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Anyone else amused that Alex gave a preemptive "before their time" as soon as the World War II category was revealed?

Yes. It was the way he said it:)

I had a good amount of ts's for a change, decimal, Phil O'Dendron, Dr. Schweitzer, Brittany and Dr. Lister after I quickly switched from Louis Pasteur. Trey household came up with I Shall Return. 

Welcome, @Samurai Lincoln

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size