Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Alsace rhymes with the English word 'glass'.  French for glass is verre.  German is glas.

I can't look at j-archive at work, so I'm not sure how the clue was phrased, whether the answer had to rhyme with the English word glass or with its French or German counterpart.

I think it was ambiguous, but that may be because I was focused on the glasses which are dead ringers for a set I got in Germany. So it was the German word that ran through my mind initially.

1 minute ago, Clanstarling said:

I think it was ambiguous, but that may be because I was focused on the glasses which are dead ringers for a set I got in Germany. So it was the German word that ran through my mind initially.

Hey, if it gave you the right answer, then whatever works.  :-)

• Like 2

From J!Archive:

"A type of glass is named for this white wine making French region near Germany whose name rhymes with "glass"."

17 hours ago, j5cochran said:

I always thought that it was pronounced "al-sauce", but then, I don't have Alex Trebek's easy facility with languages.

That would be "facile facility," right? (Sorry!)

Re: the "what is rocket science?" clue -- I thought they were going for the clue-within-a-clue by using Kevin Durant, but he doesn't play for the Rockets.

• Laugh 2

1 hour ago, forumfish said:

Re: the "what is rocket science?" clue -- I thought they were going for the clue-within-a-clue by using Kevin Durant, but he doesn't play for the Rockets.

I knew the category had science in it, but I didn't know what they were going for. I think I said common sense.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

From J!Archive:

"A type of glass is named for this white wine making French region near Germany whose name rhymes with "glass"."

So it looks like they wanted it to rhyme with the English word "glass".  Which Alsace does, when pronounced the only way I've ever heard it pronounced: Al-sass.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

FJ-New Orleans (forgot the “foreign” part of the category and only thought of US locations). 

I initially thought of New Orleans (Mardi Gras), but then I saw that they were looking for a foreign location. I don't know how I came to Mecca. (But it wasn't via that train.)

6 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Should we discuss Don vs. dawn?....

NOOOOOOOOO!

4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I don't know that I was really aware of the book, but I knew what "A Night to Remember" referred to.  

I hadn't heard of the book either, but I know of the movie.

Re the Alsace clue, I thought we were in the category of first and last letter being the same, so I was very confused.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I said Pamplona for FJ, even though a million people a day sounded like a lot for the running of the bulls.  Mecca makes much more sense.

Pamplona was my guess too!  Now I don't feel quite as stupid. 😊  For some reason, I fixated on Europe and never turned my thoughts to Asia. 

I read the book ages ago, and if I remember correctly, there was a movie, possibly a tv movie made from it.

A movie-movie was made from the book, starring Kenneth Moore, Honor Blackman and a very young David McCallum. Then there was a movie called Titanic with Clifton Webb, Barbara Stanwyck, a VERY young Robert Wagner (be still my heart) and the incredible Thelma Ritter as Molly Brown.

I wonder why no one will play Trivial Pursuit - Silver Screen with me!

Director "Coppola"??? Needed a BMS.

Abso-bloody-lutely! It could be Kit Coppola!

But I guess it needed a WOMAN director designation for it to be another Coppola.

• Like 7
  • Laugh 5

I knew FJ tonight chiefly because of my brother: he loved the trivia fact that Salmon P. Chase is on the $10,000 bill. Chase Bank is also named for him. (Salmon P., not my brother!)

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Like 8
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 2

Asterisk, yippee!  
Yesterday I guessed Carnival in Rio De Janiero, since I didn't know that the Hajj is in a particular week.

• Laugh 1

Salman Chase was an instaget.  Don't know how all 3 of them missed that.  Then again there was one I couldn't think of that I knew, but just couldn't hink of it.  And I said Aztec instead of Inca.  Never can keep those two straight.

• Like 2

I, uh, really, uh, am, uh, not, uh, going, uh, to, uh, be, uh, able, uh, to, uh, deal, uh, with, uh, the, uh, new, uh, champ.

Uh!!

Bachelor, asteroids, and Regan were my only gets tonight.

I also said mackerel for FJ, lol. Not that it would have helped, but I figured they were looking for a last name.

Looks like another winning week of FJ for me.

Edited by lb60
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

So, what was the verdict?

He cut off approximately two thirds diagonally, leaving part/most of the ear lobe. There were drawings done by the attending doctor, shown at the end of the hour.

47 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Salman Chase was an instaget.  Don't know how all 3 of them missed that.

Make that four. Never heard of the guy. Salmon Rushdie, Alex Salmon, yes. Salmon Chase, no. I did like the attempt with Mackerel though. That was worth extra-credit points.

I should get extra credit for knowing the TS as soon as I read Jade and Tanner in the clue, I didn't need the (blank) in Paradise. The Bachelor threads are the most fun in all of PTV for so many reasons (all wrong reasons, of course).

I did not like the middle guy because of my personal hatred of facial hair, especially his OTTB, but wasn't going to say anything about it here. Then he called a magazine a "zine" during his interview and that made him dead to me. (TM Mr. Wonderful)

Maytag being from Iowa was an easy peasy DD/TS for me. What about you guys? We've discussed Maytag Blue Cheese here in the past. And the fact that I don't live all that far from Maytag's original Iowa headquarters in Newton. And the fact it put almost the entire population of Newton on the unemployment list when it shut down.

@Browncoat, surely you knew penguins have knees, because I did!

I also got asteroid, retina and Regan the Exorcist girl. Sort of makes up for me tanking FJ. Sorta.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I should get extra credit for knowing the TS as soon as I read Jade and Tanner in the clue, I didn't need the (blank) in Paradise. The Bachelor threads are the most fun in all of PTV for so many reasons (all wrong reasons, of course).

LOL. I definitely needed the Blank in Paradise.  The names meant nothing to me.

7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Maytag being from Iowa was an easy peasy DD/TS for me. What about you guys? We've discussed Maytag Blue Cheese here in the past.

Nope.  In that category all I got were the obvious Gatorade Florida, and Goodyear Ohio, because I used to live in OH.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew FJ tonight chiefly because of my brother: he loved the trivia fact that Salmon P. Chase is on the $10,000 bill. Chase Bank is also named for him. (Salmon P., not my brother!)

It was an instaget for me - it was the only name I could remember from those days that was in any way fish-related, and I remembered him being on the money.  I didn't know about Chase Bank, thanks for that tidbit!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

It was an instaget for me - it was the only name I could remember from those days that was in any way fish-related, and I remembered him being on the money.  I didn't know about Chase Bank, thanks for that tidbit!

The offices that he held didn't fit the clue, but I almost said Hamilton Fish. Then I thought it was unlikely that they would use the word "fishy" in the clue--too close to the actual name. It would do for "Stupid Answers" (insert Forrest Gump voice here), though.

• Laugh 2

Absolutely no clue for FJ tonight.  I never would have even considered the name to be a first name -- I tried to think of a fishy last name and couldn't come up with anything.  Boo, hiss. 

I swear I heard middle guy say "orangutang" instead of "orangutan" -- the first is incorrect, and he should have been dinged for it.  Not that it mattered in the end, but still.

Hey, we got a "genre"!  Drink!

I knew Iowa for Maytag!  I also got asteroid and retina.  And yes, @saber5055, I knew penguins have knees!  🙂

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I swear I heard middle guy say "orangutang" instead of "orangutan"

He did, and it irked me as it did you for him to get away with it.

Casper was a surprising TS, and retina was close to stunning.  I can't decide if I'm surprised FJ was a TS; I'm leaning towards no.

The One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest DD was ridiculously easy for DJ.  So was the entire body language category.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest DD was ridiculously easy for DJ.  So was the entire body language category.

Yes!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Interesting info! I don't think I've heard of Salmon P Chase. And I think John should have put down "Who is Holy Mackerel."

41 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

The offices that he held didn't fit the clue, but I almost said Hamilton Fish. Then I thought it was unlikely that they would use the word "fishy" in the clue--too close to the actual name. 

I swear, the first thing that came to mind was Abe Vigoda. 

35 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I swear I heard middle guy say "orangutang" instead of "orangutan" -- the first is incorrect, and he should have been dinged for it. 

Yeah, I thought he said that, too, but I wasn't surprised they didn't rule against him. So many people say it that way. But as he was picking the next clue, Alex said something which I couldn't hear, and I wondered if he was offering the correct pronunciation.

I've never watched Bachelor in Paradise and know nothing about it. [Blank] in Paradise led me directly to Death in Paradise.

All I got was the DD of asteroids, as well as retina and Regan.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I swear, the first thing that came to mind was Abe Vigoda. 

I've never watched Bachelor in Paradise and know nothing about it. [Blank] in Paradise led me directly to Death in Paradise.

All I got was the DD of asteroids, as well as retina and Regan.

Abe Vigoda - funny!  I've also never watched any of the Bachelor shows, so no clue, and I also thought Death in Paradise, but I didn't think that would be correct.  I knew Salmon P. Chase today, and also got Mecca on Monday.

For TS the last two days, I knew Psychology, Sinking of the Titanic (I've read the book and seen the movie), and of course, owl and pussycat with the Runcible spoon!  Also Minnesota for Pillsbury and Retina.  For DD I got Iowa (Maytag, and I've also been to the Amana colonies), and asteroids.

• Like 2

I said Pike for FJ. At least there was someone in history named Pike. He got a peak named after him. 

Yeah, that body language category wasn't worthy of Double Jeopardy. More like Toddler Jeopardy.

Edited by Kathira
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

And I think John should have put down "Who is Holy Mackerel."

Nope. Just in case somehow the answer was Mackerel, that would have messed it up, unless the guys first name happened to be Holy.

Oh, and all 3 contestants got a good for you .

Edited by opus
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

34 minutes ago, Kathira said:

I said Pike for FJ. At least there was someone in history named Pike. He got a peak named after him

Kit Pike, famous western explorer...

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

I agree with everyone about the toddler-level category of Body Language, but I really, really liked the One T, Double T category.  There's no way to prepare for it - you just have to have a expansive vocabulary and the ability to search it in milliseconds!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Salmon Rushdie,

It’s Salman and not pronounced like the fish.

Fj wasn’t an IG but I got it in time.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

I really, really liked the One T, Double T category.

So did I (I always like vocabulary categories).  I fumbled a bit before coming up with counterattack, so if that hadn't stumped the contestants, I'd have probably still been thinking when someone rang in.  The others were IGs, but that one took some thought.

• Like 1

Salman Chase was an instaget.  Don't know how all 3 of them missed that.

Make that four. Never heard of the guy.

Make that 5. What movie was he in again?

I got asteroid, retina, Casper, something else I can't remember, and Regan the Exorcist girl.

Trivia: My sister played the Demon and all the possession scenes in The Exorcist.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

4 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

Make that 5. What movie was he in again?

Don’t worry he was probably just before your time!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

11 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I wonder why no one will play Trivial Pursuit - Silver Screen with me!

I will!  I will! The only reason I pay for cable is to get TCM.

For Final Jeopardy  I said Sturgeon General, which is why Alex would hate me if I ever got to play.  He would have a special, extra dry, "No," just for me.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 10

10 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

The offices that he held didn't fit the clue, but I almost said Hamilton Fish. Then I thought it was unlikely that they would use the word "fishy" in the clue--too close to the actual name. It would do for "Stupid Answers" (insert Forrest Gump voice here), though.

This was my thinking exactly!  Although if that were the correct answer, it would really need a BMS--there were a remarkable number of people named Hamilton Fish!

After I rejected all the Fishes, I did get Salmon P. Chase in time.  He was Lincoln's Secretary of the Treasury, after having been one of his rivals for the Republican nomination.  You can't read as much about the Civil War as I have and not run into his name.

• Like 1

I liked the new winner Emma. She’s pretty and the red looked good on her and on camera. I got bachelor, I said Corcovado instead of Christ the Redeemer but it turns out that’s the name of the mt it stands on so I would have been wrong. I also got asteroid, retina, and I knew Linda Blair was the actress who played in the Exorcist, but I couldn’t remember her characters name Regan.  I was stumped on FJ.

I thought besides the Body Language one that the baby instagram category was too easy as well. 

• Like 3

Since my office was located across the street from the Salmon P. Chase Federal Building, FJ was an instaget for me. Also I laughed at the fact that they all avoided the Blue Man Group category and then the clues were fairly easy.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

Salman Chase was an instaget.  Don't know how all 3 of them missed that.  Then again there was one I couldn't think of that I knew, but just couldn't hink of it.  And I said Aztec instead of Inca.  Never can keep those two straight.

Make it three for me - Aztec, Inca, and Mayan - I throw those answers out like a blind dart player. Managed to hit it this time.

10 hours ago, Kathira said:

I said Pike for FJ. At least there was someone in history named Pike. He got a peak named after him. 

Yeah, that body language category wasn't worthy of Double Jeopardy. More like Toddler Jeopardy.

And a lovely peak it is - especially on New Year's Eve and the 4th of July. (at least it used to be - they'd shoot fireworks off, and you could see it anywhere in Colorado Springs). I'm kind of ticked I didn't come up with it - but it was crickets in my head. I've heard of Chase, but don't connect anything at all with him. Now, Chase bank - that's a nice piece of trivia I might remember. Thanks @GreekGeek

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Make it three for me - Aztec, Inca, and Mayan - I throw those answers out like a blind dart player. Managed to hit it this time.

We have three players in our house, so we each take one.  We also do Norway, Sweden and Denmark that way.

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

I knew Salman P. Chase because Samuel Chase is the Maryland delegate in 1776...although exactly how I got from one to the other, I'm not entirely sure.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I did not like the middle guy because of my personal hatred of facial hair, especially his OTTB, but wasn't going to say anything about it here. Then he called a magazine a "zine" during his interview and that made him dead to me. (TM Mr. Wonderful)

A "zine" is slightly different than a magazine:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zine.  So hate him, but not for that.

That aside, I disliked him as well, and I'm from Pittsburgh too and always root for my hometowners.  But he's such a strain of new hipster with the OTTBs that I can't stand.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

And I said Aztec instead of Inca.  Never can keep those two straight. 

Inca = Peru ...four letters each. The Aztec & Maya are mostly in Mexico.

At first, I said, "Justice Troutt," just plain guessing, then Salmon P. Chase sprung into my head and I felt saved. Yes, I even got the middle initial without a struggle. How the mind works is a baffling thing.  ("Sturgeon General" - I love it!)

I, too, was annoyed at orang-utang.

I remembered Regan because I once had a neighbor who lived above me with a daughter named Regan and that kid, too, was possessed, especially at bath time. Everytime that kid took a bath, I had water coming through my ceiling.

I got all the state brands, too. I think having Stella asleep on my lap helps my thinking. She had exploratory surgery Thursday; I brought her home Monday & all we do is cuddle, much to Bosco's dismay. He very quickly got used to being an "only" cat & quite the lap cat.  (Turns out, all Stella has is IBD, controllable with food and perhaps a short course of Prednisolone.)

• Like 6

I am not even a big Lord of the Rings fans.  I have not even read all the books or seen all the movies.......

But, GANDALF!!!  Seriously!  He is the wizard.  I know that much

Seemed like lots of easy misses for the former champ.  I mean, meriorite instead of asteroid, really?  I suppose you could argue its a matter of them being the same thing depending on where it is located, outside or inside the earth's atmosphere, but they showed a picture, obvious what they wanted. 

Also my first date with my wife was to see the movie Armageddon

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Inca = Peru ...four letters each. The Aztec & Maya are mostly in Mexico.

But Maya has four letters also. 😡

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I watch both, and Death in Paradise is the better show although the PTV thread for Bachelor in Paradise is a lot more fun.

11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It’s Salman and not pronounced like the fish.

I didn't correct spelling for other posters who misspelled Salmon P. Chase. But thank you for your diligence in correcting me.

We've had an extended discussion here in the past on how to pronounce salmon. The conclusion was, different people pronounce it different ways. End of that story.

Have a nice day. *sarcasm*

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But the Y in Maya is for Yucatan!  How's that for rationalization?

That'll work!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

(Turns out, all Stella has is IBD, controllable with food and perhaps a short course of Prednisolone.)

I am very happy for you and Stella, that it wasn't anything worse.

I doubt I've ever given any thought to whether or not penguins have knees but I know cats have knees.

My only ts was asteroids.  FJ was an instaget, one of those pieces of information I picked up once and my mind has hung on to, including the middle P.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ErinV said:

A "zine" is slightly different than a magazine:

Thanks for that interesting link. Good info. It also turns out that a magazine I created and self published in the 80s was really a zine. Who knew! I was before my own time.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

We have three players in our house, so we each take one.  We also do Norway, Sweden and Denmark that way.

We only have two, so we double our chances, but still whiff it now and again (same with the country, though the Mister is much stronger on that topic.)

2 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Also my first date with my wife was to see the movie Armageddon

Now that's a movie that screams "romance". But congrats on it working for you!

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

At first, I said, "Justice Troutt," just plain guessing

I should have said Kilgore Trout, just to have an answer. But I did think of a new category: Jeopardy writers, what about "That's So Fishy," people names with fish in them. Laurence Fishburne.

I'm so glad Stella is okay. What a relief, no? But exploratory surgery is not fun for anyone. There should be enough lap for Bosco to join in your Jeopardy watching. One arm/hand per cat. Problem solved!