Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I first thought of Rumours for FJ but thought that album was highly praised so I went with the oft-reviled Eagles. I was confused by Alex’s first statement before answers were revealed. I thought he said something like “Wake up, wake up”. Usually if he says something before FJ answer reveals, it’s some kind of hint to the answer.

I did like Alex hoping Eric would get the “idle” answer so he could make an “Eric Idle” joke.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Trey said:

Roald Dahl.....

Love!

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight!  I LOVED that album, and played it constantly back in the day. I first wore out a friend's copy, then got it for my birthday in 1977. I was fortunate enough to see The Eagles a few years ago (before Glenn Frey's death), and they did an AMAZING version of Hotel California.

Hey, that's two asterisks for me so far this week!

Well, look at you, being all smart this week. ;-)

I got FJ with an educated guess. Go me!

• Love 3

I almost ran the first round again, but Dr. Who prevented me.  I don’t watch it or Torchwood, so I didn’t know the connection, but that the titles are anagrams is a good little bit of trivia I’ll remember.  (In that same category, I had forgotten until the clue reminded me about Mork & Mindy being a spin-off of Happy Days.)

I didn’t know whether I needed to clean my ears or if they’d missed Eric saying if rather than ifs, so I was glad to see that corrected.

I laughed at the soy milk clue, and was a bit surprised that was a TS.

St. Patrick’s Day as an incorrect guess for the Labor Day was an odd one on every level; workers should have been enough, but there was also September, so where did St. Patrick’s Day come from?  If the march had been in Boston, I guess I could see Eric jumping to Irish and fixating on that to the extent of ignoring works and September, but being in NYC, I’m oddly intrigued as to his thought process.

I’m pretty good with music from the ‘60s through ‘90s, so I was reasonably confident going into FJ based on the category.  It wound up taking me several moments, but it did come to me in plenty of time, and between the year, L.A., and the tone of the review excerpt, I predicted one of them would come up with it.  Oops.

• Love 2

I was straining my brain to come up with FJ. I graduated from high school in 1976, so I was trying to go down memory lane and bring it back. Nope. I thought about Saturday Night Fever (1977, I now see), but that didn't seem to fit. 

The only TS I got was Captain Marvel.

I didn't know Dr (doctor) Who and Torchwood were anagrams of each other. Cool.

15 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't know Dr (doctor) Who and Torchwood were anagrams of each other. Cool.

I don’t watch either program and that was the ONLY fact I knew about Torchwood. LOL 

• Love 2

I got FJ not because I knew it - but more because I FELT it was the Eagles, and not knowing any album names despite the Eagles being my favorite band back in the day (I've always been a greatest hits kind of gal), I picked the biggest song I knew. So, yay!

• Love 5
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I almost ran the first round again, but Dr. Who prevented me.  I don’t watch it or Torchwood, so I didn’t know the connection, but that the titles are anagrams is a good little bit of trivia I’ll remember. 

Watched both series so I didn't need the anagrams part of the clue - though I picked up that piece of trivia somewhere along the way (I did not figure it out myself).

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
On 7/19/2019 at 5:53 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

It's probably from some Hebrew name like Ronel.

Edgar 3 names: I pre-guessed Poe, too, totally forgot about Hoover, but went straight to Edgar Lee Masters. I wonder who the other, unrevealed, two were.

I immediately thought of Edgar Rice Burroughs 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, SHD said:

“Wake up, wake up”. Usually if he says something before FJ answer reveals, it’s some kind of hint to the answer.

From the "wake you up in the middle of the night" line?

Misheard lyrics of "wake up to the Hotel California?"

(edited)

I thought Hotel California was more early 1970s, so 1976 through me off

I guessed Bat out of Hell, then started second guessing myself and thought maybe it was The Wall, even though I think that was more late 70s, 78-79 I think. 

Also the Wednesday one, I went with Shel Silverstein instead of Maurice Sendak. 

Not a good FJ week for me

Edited to add :  Bat out of Hell was 1977, the Wall 1979. 

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 1

Congrats to Jason being a 5-day champion! GFH 🍹But I thought Eric would be a fun champion so was rooting for him. Shari turned me off for some reason that I can't put my finger on because she's smart, not annoying, & played the game well. And I love her son's name. My cousin's son is named Gideon & it's a cool name. 

TS I got were soy milk, Capt. Marvel, Seoul. I said Rumours for FJ.  No asterisk for me boo hiss

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Abstract said:

It definitely depends on the angle. This screenshot captures it pretty well: 

E06CB065-C946-4C34-97DF-5972C17D7B46.jpeg

Okay, I can kinda see it from that angle.

18 hours ago, Roaster said:

Shari should have bet zero in FJ and rode the triple stumper to a win.

I was a little surprised they didn't get FJ.  I love Exile on Main St, but it's from 1972, and has nothing to do with Los Angeles.

Rumours was at least recorded in California.  I knew the answer had to be by a California band, had to have been a big hit and probably now considered a classic, so Hotel California was my instaget.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Bastet said:

almost ran the first round again, but Dr. Who prevented me.  I don’t watch it or Torchwood, so I didn’t know the connection, but that the titles are anagrams is a good little bit of trivia I’ll remember. 

I didn't know they were anagrams, but up until the most recent reason, I was a Doctor Who fanatic so I knew about Torchwood.

• Love 2

Holy cow, this was the last episode of the season? That snuck up on me. I'm glad Jason won and will be returning next season. Maybe he'll shave off his beard during the hiatus so we can see the Nicolas Cage resemblance even more clearly. 

And of course I hope Alex continues whatever treatment he needs, and that he returns rested and refreshed. 

• Love 6

Well, that was a nice way to end the season -- a perfect 5/5 week, and three asterisks.  I did have to think for a bit about the name of "that ship that rescued the Titanic people" (since I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have accepted that), but I got it in time to write it down.

I also got the TS of vibration, and cooperative. 

Oh, Alex -- Doria Goy, the non-Jewish ship.  I'm a little surprised they didn't edit that out.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
22 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Oh, Alex -- Doria Goy, the non-Jewish ship.  I'm a little surprised they didn't edit that out.

I think the show is like, “Let’s let Alex be Alex and let people see his humor” lately.

Middle lady was like an elfin Tina Fey.

• Love 2

Well, this is nice, ending the season with a 6-day champ who is not annoying. 

I did horribly today, no FJ for me and a ridiculously low number of correct responses in the first two rounds.

• Love 1

That made me laugh out loud; I'm glad they kept it in. FJ was an instaget for me, which leaves me 2/5 this week. I also got port and couple of other TSs, which I can never remember afterwards.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Alex has a good summer vacation and we see him back in September.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I could not understand FJ! until the first answer was revealed.  Then it was “the ship that came for Titanic” and said Carpathian, which is still wrong.

I first jotted down Carpathian, then realized it didn't have the N at the end, so I got it right! Yay. But no TSs. Boo.

1 hour ago, SpiritSong said:

That made me laugh out loud; I'm glad they kept it in.

Me too. That was pretty funny, plus Maggie's apparent conflating of Enola Gay and Dorian Gray.

The video of the shark attacking the sub was jaw-dropping.

I never heard of the shape called stadium. Interesting.

I always pronounced that one shark as MAY-ko. Checking online, I find it's pronounced both ways.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Me too. That was pretty funny, plus Maggie's apparent conflating of Enola Gay and Dorian Gray.

The ship that sank was the Andrea Doria!  Cracking up at the non-Jewish ship line though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Me neither. I would have said amphitheater.

Not a great game for me; the only TS I knew was vibrations. I knew FJ was the ship that rescued Titanic survivors but blanked on its name. 

See you all in September!

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

The ship that sank was the Andrea Doria!  Cracking up at the non-Jewish ship line though.

And further confusing me, for FJ I said Ile de France, which was the ship that came to the rescue of the Andrea Doria passengers in 1956.  Only 44 years off.  <shrug>

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • LOL 3
9 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Nor had I, so I looked it up.  It is also called discorectangle.

• Useful 2
11 hours ago, The Wild Sow said:

The ship that sank was the Andrea Doria!  

Right. When I was posting I couldn't remember the ship's name and could only come up with Achille Lauro.

So I think she conflated Andrea Doria, Enola Gay, and Dorian Gray. 😄

• LOL 1

That was a good game for the season finale.

My ts's were port and vibrations.

DH and I pre=called all kinds of historical ships during commercial break but not the Carpathia.

My mind had quite a discussion with itself - you know this - never heard of it- surely you know it - nope, never knew it - think! - sorry, just don't kno...CARPATHIA! So, a last second win.

• Love 2

Because of the ongoing feud between Directv and Nexstar, I've had to wait until the end of the week to catch up with episodes, thanks to a friend with Comcast.

Soy milk and the non-Jewish ship cracked me up. I couldn't bring "Carpathia" to mind although I knew the answer was "that ship that rescued Titanic survivors".

I think I got Sendak by virtue of not knowing any other children's book author/illustrators.

Sharks. Why did it have to be sharks? For the clue about reef sharks hunting in packs called this name that is also a kind of apartment, all I could think was "the word for a pack of sharks is condominium?"

I ran the Canadian provinces category. It seems to me there were Canadian clues or categories for almost every game these last couple of months, as well as lots of chances for Alex to trot out his accent.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, ABay said:

all I could think was "the word for a pack of sharks is condominium?"

That was my answer too🙁

I remember that, some years ago, the FJ category was Word Origins and the answer was condominiums. If they are very small they are called "condominimums". 😉

• LOL 3
(edited)

I know that most of y'all had already seen this tournament but since I started watching Jeopardy again when James started, it was new to me. And they had an answer just for me! I grew up in Mechanicsville where Cold Harbor is and my real connection was that when I was in high school, one of my friend's father was a park ranger in Cold Harbor and lived in the Watt House. And I got to spend the night there with a group of friends!

gm_watt_nov.jpg.37374c61590e0ccd6b1f5071b5567698.jpg

I am a big Civil War buff since I grew up amid all of the battleground...even found a minie ball in our corn field. http://www.civilwar.si.edu/weapons_minieball.html

Edited by suebee12
to correct punctuation!
  • Love 8

I enjoyed re-watching the Teacher's Tournament but I think I'll give the All-Stars tournament a miss; I didn't really like it the first time around.

Only two more weeks until we're back to regular Jeopardy! Yay!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Trey said:

I enjoyed re-watching the Teacher's Tournament but I think I'll give the All-Stars tournament a miss; I didn't really like it the first time around.

Only two more weeks until we're back to regular Jeopardy! Yay!

I'm counting the days! I didn't for the All-Stars tournament either, which was disappointing, since I usually like seeing that level of competition.

• Love 2

This is the first time I've been able to watch Jeopardy in real time since Directv and Nexstar went to war July 4th. If they hadn't settled by the 9th, I'm not sure what I would've done.

• Love 1