Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

I hated Sean. I found him more annoying than Arthur Chu.

Just to weigh in with a semi-opposing view. I didn't hate Sean. He was definitely non-standard, but not in, say, Austin territory for me. He may have proved himself one way or the other if he'd stayed on.

• Love 10

Sean is painfully dweeby, but he didn’t bother me at all (other than the fact I hate bow ties only slightly less than I hate suspenders).  (Okay, and spelling Austen wrong.)  In fact, he wasn't even someone I was expecting to come here and read numerous complaints about.

I loved the spellements category; I’m pretty good with the periodic table and great at spelling, so that was fun and I wish they’d finished it.

FJ was not an instaget, but almost (I'd never heard the quote, but it just sounds so  Dorothy Parker, so add in "her circle" and I went there quickly), so I was able to spend the rest of the FJ music grumbling about yet another “Women [Profession]” category.

In the first Shakespeare clue, the answer should have been winter, not A Winter’s Tale; the clue asked for the season at the end of the quote, not the title of the play.  And the Debussy clue wanted the title of the work, not the name of the peninsula, so that should have been Iberia, not Iberian Peninsula.

Yucca was a surprising TS given the picture, but I live in CA, and none of them live where they’d see yucca plants.  The Tall-something sisters was as far as I got, so I joined the contestants in being stumped by that one.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Dorothy Parker was my immediate guess based on the vitriol but was the lacy sleeve  made me doubt myself. 

I had the same thought process. I wouldn't associate Dorothy Parker with a lacy sleeve, but the rest of it sounded right, so I nervously stuck with that.

I also got Amy Adams, yucca, and Baskets. Made me giggle when Sean said 'Buckets.'

• Love 4

FJ was in IG. To me lacy sleeve equals female which would be in contrast to her male “circle” and also while she wasn’t super frou frou, she was fashionable and used to write about fashion for Vogue. Her dad was in the garment industry as well.

• Love 3

I kind of liked Sean, wanted him to win

Women authors.....I immediately thought, "Some people are going to be mad about that one"

Also I had no clue on FJ.  I sort of recognize the name, but I know nothing about Dorothy parker and would not have been able to come up with that even if you gave me a dictionary of "women authors" and let me choose one. 

I had no idea amy Adams has been Oscar nominated 5 or 6 times.  But then I get her, Rachel McAdams and Isla Fisher all mixed up. 

• Love 5

I'm sorry to see Jill go. I liked Sean and wouldn't have minded if he had won - the bow tie was a bit much though.  Congrats to the new champ.

I didn't get any ts's and I didn't get FJ.  Dorothy Parker flitted through my mind but then I went with Virginia Woolf.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Dorothy Parker was my immediate guess based on the vitriol but was the lacy sleeve  made me doubt myself.  I was glad the only person to get FJ right was the winner.

Me too. I love Parker, but lacy sleeve threw me into thinking about writers in a different century and I couldn't come back from that in time.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yucca was a surprising TS given the picture, but I live in CA, and none of them live where they’d see yucca plants.  The Tall-something sisters was as far as I got, so I joined the contestants in being stumped by that one.

I lived in CA too, but I'm terrible when it comes to plants. If anyone had asked me if I could identify a yucca, I'd have said no. But when I saw the picture, "yucca" came right out. No one was more surprised than me.

Our recorder, for some weird reason, recorded Blackish at 9 instead of Jeopardy (the truly strange part is that Jeopardy was actually on at the right time - I turned to late in the to make sure, and it was the current episode) Anyway, my point is, where do you find the FJ questions? I want to keep up with the contest.

8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

To me lacy sleeve equals female which would be in contrast to her male “circle” and also while she wasn’t super frou frou, she was fashionable and used to write about fashion for Vogue. Her dad was in the garment industry as well.

I did not know that. (said in Olivia Colman's voice)

1 hour ago, Trey said:

I didn't get any ts's and I didn't get FJ.  Dorothy Parker flitted through my mind ...

With her lacy sleeves.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I would steal that, but unfortunately no one would get it because in our house, molasses is for biscuits. Syrup (with 2% real maple!) is for pancakes. (It's right up there with "what did the fish say when it Dan into a concrete wall?"  " Dam! ")

Just substitute the word biscuit instead of pancakes, it works!

Edited because I hadn’t read Saber’s comment before I posted.  Great minds, etc.

Also to add, wish there was a different way for the contestants to buzz in.  All this obvious button mashing is distracting.  

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

In the first Shakespeare clue, the answer should have been winter, not A Winter’s Tale; the clue asked for the season at the end of the quote, not the title of the play.  And the Debussy clue wanted the title of the work, not the name of the peninsula, so that should have been Iberia, not Iberian Peninsula.

YES!  These types of inconsistencies drive me crazy!

• Love 4

As soon as Sean opened his mouth, I knew there'd be some comments here as he has a polarizing personality... and I admit to being initially slightly embarrassed that he was representing New Brunswick, Canada (my bad - sorry, Sean) until I quickly realized he had every right to be a contestant - he's very intelligent and has a wide range of knowledge. I was rooting for Jill throughout the show and wish she'd known FJ. I wish her the best of luck in seeing the rest of the 29 states in USA. I've been to more states than she has, thanks to my work, and my love of travel and visiting American friends... still want to see the central states, but will wait until I feel more comfortable traveling to/in the USA. Perhaps in a couple of years? I know a few Canadians who've not been allowed to cross the border because they answered truthfully to the question, "Do you like our POTUS?"

Tiny complaint in case the J! writers peek here... no more spelling categories, please! B O R I N G. JMO.

p.s. Alex, it isn't a Canadian thing to spell slowly. We say "sorry" (a lot), and the odd Canuck says "aboot"'; however, slow spelling isn't one of our verbal genres.

• Love 4

Another Canadian thing... we put REAL maple syrup on our pancakes. Northern Ontario and Quebec syrup is the ultimate - it's one of the gifts I take to my USA friends. I've been at many syrup festivals through the years and am amazed that it takes a full cup of sap to make one teaspoon of syrup. Liquid gold, we call it.

I still love your molasses joke, @Saber5055!

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Dorothy Parker was my immediate guess based on the vitriol but was the lacy sleeve  made me doubt myself. 

I had the same reaction... did a quick search and found this on the jeopardyfan site:

"More information about Final Jeopardy:

The quote was by Alexander Woolcott, and the full quote: “She is so odd, a bled of Little Nell and Lady Macbeth. It is not so much the familiar phenomenom of a hand of steel in a velvet glove as a lacy sleeve with a bottle of vitriol concealed in its folds”.

Dorothy Parker was well-known both as a writer and as a founding member of the Algonquin Round Table, a group of New York City writers who met for lunch at the Algonquin Hotel from 1919 until 1929. Alexander Woolcott was a fellow charter member of the Round Table."

• Love 2

I love real 100% maple syrup, preferably grade B (more flavor than A).  If real maple syrup is not available, I use molasses. No fake syrup.  There is a story (maybe true) of a family who had several maple trees.  They collected gallons of sap, put it in big pots on the kitchen stove, and boiled it for several days.  Then all the wallpaper in the house fell down.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Grundoon59 said:

Bliss - I can give in on maple syrup as long as you don't try to persuade me that Canada Dry is real ginger ale.  Vernors all the way!! 

Never touch the stuff. Soda/pop/sugarwater... gave it up over 30 years ago... along with smoking. I'm smober ;-)

I do enjoy the odd adult beverage... and my one-a-day natural vitamin, wine. I've done tours in Europe, NZ and Canada - all wonderful - and one of my best memories is Robert Mondavi's winery in Napa almost 20 years ago - spectacular! We now have a GFY concoction for J! watching: a fistful(s) of cashews or pistachios with a wine or beer chaser.

As for syrup, it's the only sweetener I use. For anything. One of my recipes that's a healthy treat - using the food processor: almonds, cocoa, syrup, vanilla, salt = chocolate balls that taste like brownies. Another one-a-day addiction.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Bliss, we in Michigan are practically Canada, and we've got awesome maple syrup too! I can't go back to the Log Cabin HFCS abomination. I WON'T

It always amazes me how much people in other countries like Sean know about American politics and culture. 

Hi neighbour!

Me, also, re the amazement. My knowledge is fairly vast and diversified due to my 'journey' to date... and I'm a thinker (mathematician) - and I'm recently a senior to boot ;-) so that's my strength in a nutshell. I'm always amazed at the contestants' knowledge and how quickly they answer. Lately, I've noticed the predominance of my "I know this but I can't remember..." coupled with "@#$%^&*!" followed by, "Oh yeah. Of course." The answers/questions I'm clueless about? For the most part, I care not. The ones which do spark some sort of interest, I google. Which leads to my internet addiction of adding more stuff into my brain. Gives me something new to forget.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Bliss said:

I know a few Canadians who've not been allowed to cross the border because they answered truthfully to the question, "Do you like our POTUS?"

Oh, really? I've had thoughts of moving to Canada lately and that question would ensure I'd stay there.

1 hour ago, Bliss said:

Another Canadian thing... we put REAL maple syrup on our pancakes. Northern Ontario and Quebec syrup is the ultimate - it's one of the gifts I take to my USA friends.

The parents of a friend in New England live in Vermont and they run the Sugar Shack. They tap their own trees and make/sell maple syrup. My friend sent me two big bottles of that delicious nectar for Christmas. They sell mostly to commercial outlets as, I was told, those wicked Canadians pretty much own the maple-syrup market in the United States. She told me how many gallons of sap it takes to make one cup of syrup; I've forgotten the exact amount. But I was also told one tree can give multiple gallons of sap. Once the tree buds, however, the sap turns bitter and harvest is over.

1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

It always amazes me how much people in other countries like Sean know about American politics and culture. 

Europeans can discuss American politics better than most Americans. And very few Americans know anything about any place other than the town where they live much less anything "foreign." Which is why I like hanging out here. Knowledge is more valuable than Vermont maple syrup IMO!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Our recorder, for some weird reason, recorded Blackish at 9 instead of Jeopardy (the truly strange part is that Jeopardy was actually on at the right time - I turned to late in the to make sure, and it was the current episode) Anyway, my point is, where do you find the FJ questions? I want to keep up with the contest.

I use The Jeopardy Fan website -- https://thejeopardyfan.com/  Be aware, they will have the day's Final Jeopardy posted by mid-afternoon. That can be considered a spoiler!

• Love 2

I wouldn’t have accepted string bean; that's not the expression.  A thin person may be called a string bean, but that's not what the clue asked about; it was [vegetable] pole and [vegetable] stalk as synonyms for thin, and the expressions are bean pole and bean stalk.  Just bean.

Hi, Peeps. I've been having computer problems, thanks to a virus scan-scam that fills my screen (Norton, which I don't have, is the worst perp), so I haven't been posting.

But I have to chime in on "string bean," a big(ly) no-no. Mr. Author even grizzled before I did.

I, too, laughed at "impeachment" (although I'd really prefer a clue where the answer was "imprisonment" -- sorry, not sorry).

I think it was his bow tie that gave him a pass with me.

But not me. I kept thinking: Why is he wearing a kid's bowtie? Does he always wear a kid's bowtie?

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Oh, really? I've had thoughts of moving to Canada lately and that question would ensure I'd stay there.

The parents of a friend in New England live in Vermont and they run the Sugar Shack. They tap their own trees and make/sell maple syrup. My friend sent me two big bottles of that delicious nectar for Christmas. They sell mostly to commercial outlets as, I was told, those wicked Canadians pretty much own the maple-syrup market in the United States. She told me how many gallons of sap it takes to make one cup of syrup; I've forgotten the exact amount. But I was also told one tree can give multiple gallons of sap. Once the tree buds, however, the sap turns bitter and harvest is over.

Europeans can discuss American politics better than most Americans. And very few Americans know anything about any place other than the town where they live much less anything "foreign." Which is why I like hanging out here. Knowledge is more valuable than Vermont maple syrup IMO!

Really!

You'll be welcome in Canada, Saber! We wicked ones accept just about anybody ;-)

Yes, we Canadians are so very wicked, aren't we? LOL. Slow spellers, too, apparently.

It takes about 40 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup. Approx. Depends on the weather and the density of the sap, I believe. We used to have a maple syrup shack in the bush at my farm... fun little house for me to play in as a kid. It would be a super tiny house by today's standards... just room enough for a single bed, and hot plate. The boiling took place outdoors, but the shack was a place for my great uncle to snack and sleep while he kept watch on the fire under the sap. I remember asking Mom how he could watch while sleeping. I still don't know the answer. Come to think of it, she never told me where the white went when the snow melted, either.

I agree with you about Europeans and Americans to a point - what you wrote about people knowing little about places other than their own town seems a global thing to me. Some people I know have never been out of Ontario and that boggles my mind. We brand those folks "rednecks" up here. I also think the USA has a reputation for being "out there"... e.g., if the world was all about movies, USA would be the Hollywood. I mean this as a compliment and not as satire. I, personally, love Hollywood. I simply love Canada and my way of life more.

Let's face it - the US is in the news and on Twitter on a fairly regular basis! *chuckle* It's easy to keep up with current events nowadays - more so than in the previous century. I can hardly believe we used to live without pvrs, cell phones, computers, and on-line shopping. How on earth did I raise my children without social media or Google??? *happy grin* My parents saw the arrival of indoor plumbing and television... I don't think they ever figured out how the fax machine worked, and they were two of the smartest people I've ever known.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I couldn't pull FJ name out of my gin and tonic addled brain even though I knew who it was until my husband said it and I said Yes! I was making dinner at the start of the show when I heard my husband say there is a really annoying male contestant. :)

I got it right away, helped by the Jennifer Jason Leigh movie Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle.

I should've been impressed by Sean's obvious breadth of knowledge, but something about him bugged, so I'm glad it came down to the 3rd place contestant being the only one to get it right and wagering a lot on the category.

18 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I felt bad about the Tallchief TS.  I remember pictures of them back in the days when I took ballet lessons.  So regal and elegant.

I didn't realize they were of Osage descent, but I have a book about the American Ballet Theatre, and they are both featured in it.  I completely agree about the elegance. 

19 hours ago, teebax said:

I had Tallchief, Amy Adams, Lesabre, and FJ after some thought.

I got all of those, plus yucca.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

I use The Jeopardy Fan website -- https://thejeopardyfan.com/  Be aware, they will have the day's Final Jeopardy posted by mid-afternoon. That can be considered a spoiler!

TheJeopardyFan.com is where I get the category, clue and answer every day for our contest. Just know that you have to scroll all the way down, way under the photos of the three contestants, for the FJ answer. The category and clue are at the top, so you are safe going there. I always make my guess, then scroll down for the answer, then scroll down farther to see if it was an asterisk. I also like to know who won since, as reported previously, I do not like stress.

9 minutes ago, Bliss said:

the US is in the news and on Twitter on a fairly regular basis!

I like to read foreign newspapers, they have different view of United States events.

5 hours ago, ABay said:

I saw the plant and thought "There's an Aloe Valley in CA?" Plant ID is not my strong suit.

This made me laugh because the yucca does indeed look like an aloe. But I've been to Yucca Valley, California so that was an easy answer for me, even with the photo of the "aloe" plant!

• Love 3

I too remember Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle - my mom and I saw it in a theater with about 12 other people the first week it was released.  We were excited because there was a string of years we went to NYC to celebrate my birthday in early December and we almost always stayed at the Algonquin.  Not a great movie but very fond memories.  Also we have a Hirschfeld of a group of comic writers, including Dorothy Parker and Robert Benchley hanging on a wall.

• Love 8

Could there have been more numbers in that Final Jeopardy clue? Talk about convoluted.

Nice comeback by J.B. during Double Jeopardy, but hooray for Meghan, because she's semi-local to where I live. 

• Love 2

I believe in that one category (miscellaneous?) that if the clues had been done in order, the correct answers would have been "Rama, Llama, Ramen, Lama, Ding-Dong". (rama lama ding dong). Apparently, the writers were having fun, but probably no one "got it". I got FJ, only because I figure that those numbers indicated that the singer had a lot of hits and I remembered that they always say "Mariah Carey has surpassed so-and-so with #1 hits. MC has 20 (whatever) hits." etc. and I don't think I could tell you even one (except I think there's some Christmas song she does). 

• Love 12

I call foul on the bocc(i)e clue.  I don't think I've ever seen it spelled with an "i" before the "e" -- just bocce.  I suspect that's why it was a TS, too.

@illdoc, I think you're right about that category!  Too bad people don't start at the top and work their way down like they should. 

The only TS I got were The Miracle Worker and JFK.  Completely blanked on FJ, and probably wouldn't have come up with Mariah Carey if I'd had the rest of my life to think about it.  If the music is much past the late '80s, I'm lost.  But I love '80s music!

• Love 14

I'm really trying to understand the logic - women writers vs. female singers.  Don't we have some authors and editors here? Is there a preferred form? Seems like you never see "men" whatever. Occasionally you see "male" something. But I guess any profession is male by default? :(  Sorry if this has been discussed to death and I missed it.)

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I believe in that one category (miscellaneous?) that if the clues had been done in order, the correct answers would have been "Rama, Llama, Ramen, Lama, Ding-Dong". (rama lama ding dong). Apparently, the writers were having fun, but probably no one "got it". I got FJ, only because I figure that those numbers indicated that the singer had a lot of hits and I remembered that they always say "Mariah Carey has surpassed so-and-so with #1 hits. MC has 20 (whatever) hits." etc. and I don't think I could tell you even one (except I think there's some Christmas song she does). 

Good catch! I realized there were two llama/lama answers, but that's it.

FJ gave me another reason to hate Mariah Carey.

Something about the way the guy contestant spoke reminded me of Matthew Broderick.

2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I call foul on the bocc(i)e clue.  I don't think I've ever seen it spelled with an "i" before the "e" -- just bocce.  I suspect that's why it was a TS, too.

Yes! And I bet that's what the champ was going to say but then thought, "Oh, bocce isn't spelled 'ie' - never mind" after she rang in.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm really trying to understand the logic - women writers vs. female singers.  Don't we have some authors and editors here? Is there a preferred form? Seems like you never see "men" whatever. Occasionally you see "male" something. But I guess any profession is male by default? :(  Sorry if this has been discussed to death and I missed it.)

This is from today's TheJeopardyFan.com:

"I’m not sure why Jeopardy! insists on using WOMEN or FEMALE in a category title, especially in Final Jeopardy!, especially as MEN or MALE don’t show up in category titles. Yesterday’s clue would have held up just fine as just WRITERS (after all, “her” was used in the clue yesterday), and again, there’s “her” in the clue today. That should be sufficient."

Amen.

26 minutes ago, SHD said:

And I bet that's what the champ was going to say but then thought, "Oh, bocce isn't spelled 'ie' - never mind" after she rang in.

Google "boccie" and you will come up with some interesting Twitter comments:

boccie.png

Link to some outraged Twitter comments here.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 9

I had boccie (never seen it spelled like that either), Immortal Beloved, JFK, and said Mariah Carey before Alex finished reading.

Why does being from Idaho have anything to do with not knowing FJ? Joan was from Washington State by way of Canada and she knew it. That was a strange comment. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 3
42 minutes ago, SHD said:

FJ gave me another reason to hate Mariah Carey.

I'd agree except it's not possible for me to dislike her more than I already do. "Can't Stand Ya" —TM that Seinfeld episode.

I knew I was sunk for FJ since I listened to talk radio exclusively in the 90s. Now, however, give me clues about The Weeknd, Meek Mill, Halsey, CardiB and I'm good. In any case, I knew my FJ streak wasn't going to last. I didn't even have a good (or bad) guess.

So who knew Illinois had an official snack food. Not I. Although I guessed "sweet corn" from the Kernel clue. At least I wasn't eating popcorn at the time.

LOL at the answer "pound sand." I used to say that all the time and no one anywhere knew what I meant. I have no idea where I picked it up, and I never heard anyone else ever use the phrase.

11 minutes ago, teebax said:

What does being from Idaho have anything to do with knowing FJ?

Because obviously Trebek thinks people in Idaho don't have electricity or indoor plumbing much less those new-fangled radio things.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

So who knew Illinois had an official snack food. Not I. Although I guessed "sweet corn" from the Kernel clue. At least I wasn't eating popcorn at the time.

There's an entire website devoted for state symbols and yes, it's on there. I learned quite a bit about the symbols of my home state of Massachusetts. 

I like our new Champion. I had debated briefly between Mariah and Whitney, but decided on Mariah as Whitney started in the 80s.

• Love 2

Holy crap, two “Woman/Female [Profession]” FJ categories in a row?!  Those sexist twits have to just be fucking with the audience at this point. 

This show has been making me hungry lately; first empanadas, and now I want blue crab.

PCH is more than "just a few miles" away from the studio.  The clue works because that’s not the main phrase, but it still bugs me.

I love vocabulary categories, so I liked the I Before E category, and was surprised boccie was a TS.  I’m assuming that’s because they all think of the game as being spelled bocce (as do I), but “Italian lawn bowling” doesn’t lead at least one of them to figure there’s an alternate spelling and guess it?  The Miracle Worker TS was mildly surprising, but only; I don't think she's someone where a photo helps the majority of contestants.  The JFK TS, though, I can’t even.

The Craigslist forum is called Missed Connections, so I don’t think “a missed connection” should have been accepted; that’s the general idea, but not the name of the category, which is what was specifically asked about.  If you're asked about a title and leave off or append an S, it's wrong.  This shouldn't be any different.

I LOL at Alex’s “Oh, no” when J.B. got the first clue wrong by saying Star Trek instead of The Twilight Zone.  I grant that it’s an obnoxious thing Alex does, but that was a dumb-ass answer.

I remember from yesterday that Joan is a Seahawks fan, so I love that she’s the one who got most of the Super Bowl clues. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

I believe in that one category (miscellaneous?) that if the clues had been done in order, the correct answers would have been "Rama, Llama, Ramen, Lama, Ding-Dong". (rama lama ding dong).

Cool! I missed that!. Very cute. I wonder if Meghan got it since she seemed quite amused when she said "What is ding-dong."

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I call foul on the bocc(i)e clue.  I don't think I've ever seen it spelled with an "i" before the "e" -- just bocce. 

I said bocce, not even paying attention to how it's spelled. I usually watch the show and type my answers on my laptop. I typed "bocci." Normally I would spell it correctly.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

LOL at the answer "pound sand." I used to say that all the time and no one anywhere knew what I meant. I have no idea where I picked it up, and I never heard anyone else ever use the phrase.

I always thought 'pound sand' had a more vulgar meaning.

Anyway, I guess the only TS I got was boccie/bocci/bocce. Like the contestants, I was getting confused in the Bio Pick category. I was trying to pay attention, but instead of The Miracle Worker, I said Helen Keller.

And instead of Immortal Beloved, I said Beloved Immortal.

I've never heard of that instrument, a boozke or however it's spelled.

For FJ I guessed Whitney Houston. I didn't think that was correct because I knew she had hits in the 80's, but I couldn't think of anyone else that quickly.

• Love 2

I didn't know boccie is spelled with an ie.  That was not what kept me from getting it right, but still didn't know

Once again missed on FJ.  Went with Whitney Houston.

Got Kennedy as a TS.  Really, how could the 3rd person, the new champ, not get that one?  I know, middle of the game, but the category is the 1960s, you know its a president and the other two people had already guessed Nixon and Johnson.  Kennedy is the only likely answer.  I guess technically Eisenhower was president for a year in the 60s, but seemed obvious it was Kennedy

Now the "pound sand" answer has me wondering where that phrase originated.  I have heard it before, but no idea why that means what it does.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I have a facebook friend who is an editor/journalism guy and this comes up on sports for high school/college teams and its a pet peeve it seems of his.  For the women's teams, many will add 'Lady' in front of the team nickname, and he insists that is not correct.  They are not say the 'Lady' Wildcats, they are just the Wildcats, like the men's team would be.  So I imagine they would be the same way to an editor.  They really should be just "writers" and "singers", as many on here insist as well

If they are going to add qualifiers though, I don't know how why you would say "women writers" vs. "female singers". 

• Love 3

Sad to see Jill go. She reminded me so much of my neighbor/workout buddy. I thought Alex looked very smart in his blue & gray combo Wednesday. Sean didn't bother me, and he seemed really bright; too bad FJ got him. But I have a feeling the buzzer smashing & there you go arm move would have annoyed me had he won & stayed around for long. 

I thought Sean's DD of Valley of the Kings, and Jill's DD of Bolero were both ridonkulously easy. I don't think Sean was spelling slowly as much as carefully, and I don't blame him. Too bad it wasn't quick enough for the man who has all the answers in front of him. 

Wed's TS were Tallchief, Amy Adams, LeSaber (5055) , Baskets. FJ was an instaget thanks to the word circle in the clue. 

New champ Meghan is ok, but I was rooting for Joan. Another day, another Teen Tournament, or even Kids' Week level question that basically boiled down to "in what country is Sydney located"?

TS I got were bocc(i evidently)e; never saw it spelled with an 'i' but I couldn't think of anything else, The Miracle Worker, Immortal Beloved, JFK. Can't believe Meghan didn't get JFK after JB & Joan eliminated the only 2 other 60s POTUS. FJ was down to Whitney & Mariah, but I quickly realized that Whitney's heyday was the 80s not 90s. 

On 1/30/2019 at 7:37 PM, lb60 said:

Let's try again, since I completely screwed up the last post.  In my defense, I feel like crap.

Hope you feel better. 

• Love 2

I had heard "pound sand" as half a phrase. The rest of it is "up your a$$."  At one place I worked, management passed out an allegedly humorous list of phrases to use at work. I don't remember why they were supposed to be funny, but it was the first instance I'd ever seen of pounding sand up anywhere.

https://www.quora.com/Where-does-the-phrase-go-pound-sand-come-from

Re Dorothy Parker - She never even came to my mind during FJ, but not only was Woollcott in her circle, he was a great friend of Harpo Marx, as well. Harpo was quite elated to sometimes be included - this kid who never went to school, sitting there with all those bright intellectuals.

Meghan's face reminds me of the daughter of a friend of mine, so I'm naturally rooting for her.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I had heard "pound sand" as half a phrase. The rest of it is "up your a$$."  At one place I worked, management passed out an allegedly humorous list of phrases to use at work. I don't remember why they were supposed to be funny, but it was the first instance I'd ever seen of pounding sand up anywhere.

https://www.quora.com/Where-does-the-phrase-go-pound-sand-come-from

Re Dorothy Parker - She never even came to my mind during FJ, but not only was Woollcott in her circle, he was a great friend of Harpo Marx, as well. Harpo was quite elated to sometimes be included - this kid who never went to school, sitting there with all those bright intellectuals.

Meghan's face reminds me of the daughter of a friend of mine, so I'm naturally rooting for her.

Wow........that is the most long winded and confusing half explanation of "pound sound" I can imagine.  They try, in a detailed manner, but still not sure I completely understand.  For one the phrase seems to be used in different ways by different people, from what I am reading :

One being "pound sound up your..." rear or ear, however vulgar you want to be, which is a phrasing I never heard, just seems to be a reference to tell someone off and to do something unpleasant.  This seems more in line with how I heart it used, just never heard the full phrasing like that

The other seems to be doing something pointless, because "pounding sound" is pointless.  Yet its not always pointless, that is the problem with that interpretation.  You can pound sand into different types of holes, as mentioned, and you can pound sound to condense it and make it more dense, that is basically how sound castles and structures are made, to some extent, especially if its wet, so its not always pointless. 

• Love 1

I'm really trying to understand the logic - women writers vs. female singers.  Don't we have some authors and editors here? Is there a preferred form?

Professional editor (as well as author) here.

The qualifiers---"women" and "female"---are not wrong, per se, however if there's a "she" in the clue, they are unnecessary (and as someone else said, the writers are fucking with us because I'm guessing they read J! forums).

Mr. Author (also a published author and professional editor) is okay with it. But then he's a man :)

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Miracle Worker TS was mildly surprising, but only; I don't think she's someone where a photo helps the majority of contestants.  The JFK TS, though, I can’t even.

I've never seen a photo of Annie Sullivan before, so I had no clue.  And I never came up with JFK; I think I was unsure exactly when Khruschev was premier and couldn't quite line him up after Nixon was wrong.  (I also connect dogs with Nixon.)

All I had for FJ was "Madonna was too early for the decade in the clue, and Alicia Keys was too late".

When I saw the Official State Foods category, I knew Maryland's blue crab would be one of the answers.

I actually got three answers right in the NFL category, something of a miracle for me.

I did not know Rama, although I probably should have, and having never seen bocce spelled any other way, I was stumped on that one.  Should've guessed it, though.  I didn't know sympathetic strings (wasn't that an answer to something last week or so?) and also said balalaika, even though I know that's Russian; I misread the clue and thought bouzouki was in the clue.  I didn't do well in the M C category at all.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

The qualifiers---"women" and "female"---are not wrong, per se, however if there's a "she" in the clue, they are unnecessary (and as someone else said, the writers are fucking with us because I'm guessing they read J! forums).

LOL. Yes to all of the above.

Because I seldom pay attention to what category clues are in, I said "bocce" as that TS answer, then saw the category and stopped and tried to spell it in my head, then got all confused so figured it was wrong. So I was all WTH? along with everyone else that dictionaries -- but no living person anywhere -- spell it with "ie."

30 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

All I had for FJ was "Madonna was too early for the decade in the clue, and Alicia Keys was too late".

I didn't think of Madonna, but Alicia Keys did go through my mind, then I figured she wasn't even born then. Ha.

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I had heard "pound sand" as half a phrase.

I never finished the phrase when I told people to go pound sand, but basically it was a cleaner way to say eff off. And now that I think about it (it's been decades since I've said that, and, as I posted earlier, I've never heard anyone else ever say it), I used to say "You can go PACK sand." But pack sand is close enough to pound sand that I got the Jeopardy answer. Obviously, the player who got the correct answer knew the phrase!

16 hours ago, DrScottie said:

There's an entire website devoted for state symbols

My irritation with not knowing Illinois has an official snack food is that our legislature is a bunch of do-nothing crooks (well, not all of them but most of them) who can't pass a budget and routinely get put into prison for some sort of graft and/or criminal behavior yet they can jack around naming popcorn as our official snack food. WTH. Frankly, living in Illinois sucks. I don't recommend it for anyone.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

LOL. Yes to all of the above.

Because I seldom pay attention to what category clues are in, I said "bocce" as that TS answer, then saw the category and stopped and tried to spell it in my head, then got all confused so figured it was wrong. So I was all WTH? along with everyone else that dictionaries -- but no living person anywhere -- spell it with "ie."

I didn't think of Madonna, but Alicia Keys did go through my mind, then I figured she wasn't even born then. Ha.

I never finished the phrase when I told people to go pound sand, but basically it was a cleaner way to say eff off. And now that I think about it (it's been decades since I've said that, and, as I posted earlier, I've never heard anyone else ever say it), I used to say "You can go PACK sand." But pack sand is close enough to pound sand that I got the Jeopardy answer. Obviously, the player who got the correct answer knew the phrase!

My irritation with not knowing Illinois has an official snack food is that our legislature is a bunch of do-nothing crooks (well, not all of them but most of them) who can't pass a budget and routinely get put into prison for some sort of graft and/or criminal behavior yet they can jack around naming popcorn as our official snack food. WTH. Frankly, living in Illinois sucks. I don't recommend it for anyone.

And you are not exaggerating about the "crook" part for Illinois in terms of governors.  Four of the last severe went to prison?

All states do this with useless bills like this though.  I read one that a large percentage of all bills passed are naming such pretty useless stuff, like a special day of the year or state flower, snack food, metal, car, whatever.  I can't find the exact stat and can't recall the exact number, but the point being, its a whole lot of trivial things that make it through

• Love 2