Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Of course there are other awards for children's literature, but those are the only two I remember.

I guessed "Peabody", which, just googling it, is *not* a children's lit award (but at least it is an award).

4 minutes ago, Driad said:

backspace key; it's labeled "delete."

Delete & backspace (two different keys on my PC keyboard) do different things. Delete deletes the item to the left of the cursor, backspace to the right. That is, if it is 123 with the cursor between the 2 and the 3, delete will remove the 3 & backspace will remove the 2.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Yet another Jeopardy reaches into the future moment.

So glad it was for something other than a death. <wonders who I just jinxed>

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I also got Double Indemnity (I love old bw film noir)

Oh, thanks. That's why I said Caldecott, I worked as a children's book illustrator.

Double Indemnity is such a fabulous movie!

Very cool that you worked as a children's book illustrator. As a kid I imagined myself as the next Laura Ingalls Wilder with my childhood being illustrated by Garth Williams. 

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

we talk about Jeopardy being preempted a lot around here, lol. 

Sadly 4 LEOs were shot yesterday while serving a warrant here in Houston. I confess that the fact that it happened later in the afternoon & that J! should have already recorded crossed my mind when I heard the news <hangs head in shame>   

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Nope, it's the "other one." ;) Over the years, I tend to forget which is which. Of course there are other awards for children's literature, but those are the only two I remember.

FWIW, my mnemonic device (and I honestly can't remember if I heard this somewhere or came up with it myself) - Newberry = N= news = story, Caldecott = C = coloring = illustrations.

And I too was sure whichever I guessed, it was going to be the other one.

• Love 4

Re: FJ: All I can assume is that Nino didn't think "on the radio" as in am/fm (not that they had fm then (I think)) but "on the radio" as in the Hindenburg's radio, that is, being transmitted from the blimp, which is why he originally wrote "mayday, mayday mayday" (bad answer, in and of itself). Of course, changing it to "tora tora tora", meaning he thought it might have something to do with the Japanese & Pearl Harbor (in 1937!) was really bad. In fact, the only thing to say about his response is (say it with me) "Oh, the humanity!!".

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

So glad it was for something other than a death. <wonders who I just jinxed>

Double Indemnity is such a fabulous movie!

Very cool that you worked as a children's book illustrator. As a kid I imagined myself as the next Laura Ingalls Wilder with my childhood being illustrated by Garth Williams. 

Sadly 4 LEOs were shot yesterday while serving a warrant here in Houston. I confess that the fact that it happened later in the afternoon & that J! should have already recorded crossed my mind when I heard the news <hangs head in shame>   

Yes, it is an amazing movie and I am so upset that over 1/2 the people I talk to about have never watched it or heard of it..... a classic, like Dial M for Murder.  But I love Stanwyck, yes, including my tear jerker Stella Dallas.....

• Love 3

FJ was an insta instaget.  I say that expression all the time.

The Great Pyramid was a surprising DD miss and Ming Dynasty was a very surprising TS.

My son and I agreed that the questions on the test are harder than the ones on the show, heh.

• Love 1

Another instaget FJ for me!  Although that expression always makes me think of Les Nessman and turkeys hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement.

When in doubt about Chinese dynasties, always answer Ming.  That's how I got that TS -- total guess.  The only other TS I got was Lean, and that was mostly from the clue, not because I'm familiar with him as a director. 

• Love 6

If I had been on tonight’s show, it would have really hurt not to be able to answer “As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly”. 

That’s two questions tonight you could get right by knowing David Lean (if you don’t know, he directed Doctor Zhivago). 

• Love 12
18 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

If I had been on tonight’s show, it would have really hurt not to be able to answer “As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly”. 

Great minds and all.  Although I'm pretty sure one of us owes the other a coke.

Edited by SoMuchTV
Trying to get rid of weird triple post
  • Love 6

As a fan of The Larry Sanders Show, I got the Late Night Talk Show TS.

Interesting that "impeachment" was a clue/question/answer. *cough*

Jill got a GFY for her home-made hot-dog buns. Yeay Jill!

I've never thought of the Great Pyramids as buildings.

Two FJs in a row for me. Will wonders never cease. And while I've seen that WKRP episode, it never came to mind. My radio station (Chicago, where it originated!) plays that clip at least once a year. It's ingrained in my brain.

12 minutes ago, mojoween said:

My son and I agreed that the questions on the test are harder than the ones on the show, heh.

That's to keep dumb bums like me off the show but makes dumb bum watchers like me feel smart every few questions or so. It's genius! (While I am not genius.)

Taking the test can humble people who consider themselves hot-shot brainiacs though, so there's that plus to it.

• Love 4

A boring show tonight but mostly a good game. I knew "codes" after hearing Stimson's quote: "Gentlemen do not read each others' mail."

Beyond insta-get on FJ. Within a second of Alex revealing the category I said out loud while sitting on my couch, "Oh the humanity!"

• Love 2

If I had a comfortable lead and had bet zero, I'd have totally written "Oh the huge manatee" for FJ. Yes, I do spend my entire day with teenagers.

I had late night talk show, Jefferson Davis, Lean, cajole, Saudi Arabia, Ming, Lara., and FJ immediately.

I wouldn't have accepted Jill's response of string bean were I a judge. It didn't fit the clue.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Driad said:

Before we saw the FJ clue, I thought FJ might be about the Boston Molasses Disaster, which was 100 years and a few days ago.

Just a big gigantic WOW to that story. I've never heard of that, another thing we were not taught in school. It lends itself to so many jokes, except it's too tragic, so horrible. Thanks for posting. Are you in or near Boston?

I do like molasses though. And it reminds me of a joke my mom told me when I was quite small: Three moles were in their tunnel. The first mole stuck his head out and said: "I smell pancakes!" The second mole stuck his head out and said: "I smell pancakes!" The third mole was stuck behind the other two. He said: "I smell molasses."

• Love 11

I heard about the Molasses Flood back when I was a kid in Joliet, IL, but then, I read a lot of history books as well as the almanacs that were really popular at the time, like The People’s Almanac, which had lots of stories like that.

I should have gotten codes, since I recently read a great book about the married couple who were the true founders of the modern American cryptographic services. That quote was in the damn book, but I didn’t recognize it until too late.

I did get Talk show, Lean, Saudi Arabia, Ming, Lara, and “Oh, the humanity!”

I knew Lara from the movie’s song title, “Lara’s Theme.”

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

When in doubt about Chinese dynasties, always answer Ming.

I would have presumed that someone would have at least guess it. 

Another Renaissance Ninja Turtle missed too.

I said Hindenburg as soon as the category popped up so FJ was an instaget. 

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

... it reminds me of a joke my mom told me when I was quite small: Three moles were in their tunnel. The first mole stuck his head out and said: "I smell pancakes!" The second mole stuck his head out and said: "I smell pancakes!" The third mole was stuck behind the other two. He said: "I smell molasses."

LOL! Can't wait to tell my grandkids this one :-)

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

And it reminds me of a joke my mom told me when I was quite small: Three moles were in their tunnel. The first mole stuck his head out and said: "I smell pancakes!" The second mole stuck his head out and said: "I smell pancakes!" The third mole was stuck behind the other two. He said: "I smell molasses."

I was thisclose to writing “I don’t get it”

But now I get it :)

• Love 6

Now I’m craving empanadas.

The Jefferson Davis TS was kind of surprising, another one of those where I don’t bat an eye at none of the three specifically knowing it, but am a little surprised that at that early stage of the game no one took a chance on guessing him; it obviously had to be some Confederacy bigwig.  No one at least taking a stab with Ming (Dynasty), too, but there was more money at stake then.  And I was a bit surprised Chris didn’t toss the Great Pyramid out there as a guess in her DD.

I wouldn’t have accepted string bean; that's not the expression.  A thin person may be called a string bean, but that's not what the clue asked about; it was [vegetable] pole and [vegetable] stalk as synonyms for thin, and the expressions are bean pole and bean stalk.  Just bean.

FJ was an instaget, but thanks to Seinfeld I have to say it in Newman's voice as his mail truck catches on fire.  WKRP became a secondary association after that.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Interesting that "impeachment" was a clue/question/answer. *cough*

Yes, very... interesting.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I do like molasses though. And it reminds me of a joke my mom told me when I was quite small: Three moles were in their tunnel. The first mole stuck his head out and said: "I smell pancakes!" The second mole stuck his head out and said: "I smell pancakes!" The third mole was stuck behind the other two. He said: "I smell molasses."

I admit it took me a while to get that. :D

3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Now I’m craving empanadas.

My sister recently learned how to make empanadas. Yum.

I got talk show, Lean, cajole, the Great Pyramid, Saudi Arabia, Ming, and Lara, though I will say that a couple of those were guesses.

"Oh the humanity" seemed pretty easy. At least two of them got it right.

• Love 5

Between the original newsreel and Les Nessman, FJ was an instaget.

1 hour ago, opus said:

I was thisclose to writing “I don’t get it”

But now I get it :)

It took me a minute to figure it out too...

• Love 2

I thought I was again not going to be rooting for any player in particular until I heard in the intros that Jill was from Dedham, Massachusetts (clearly wasn't paying enough attention yesterday).  During most of my teens and twenties, my paternal grandmother and aunt lived there and my folks and I visited at least annually if not more often.  Since my aunt passed away this past October, I have even more fondness for any place she lived.  Since I am now rooting for Jill, I have probably doomed her, poor girl.

Count me in the Les Nessman group for FJ (one of my top two ever Thanksgiving episodes of television as God as my witness).

The molasses joke would have tickled my late father's funny bone and gave me a continuing chuckle - another reason to value this forum.  

Everyone in the path of the cosmic cold, stay safe and warm!

• Love 4

I'm happy for Jill, but liked Chris also. Poor Nino went MIA in DJ.

TS I got were late night talk show, Jefferson Davis, David Lean, Brahms (Jill's missed DD), Great Pyramid (Chris' missed DD), Saudi Arabia, Ming Dynasty, Lara. FJ was an instaget as soon as I saw 1937 & 3 words. Dr. Toothbrush pre-guessed that it would be related to the Hindenberg disaster when the category was shown so it was on my mind. 

5 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Yes, it is an amazing movie and I am so upset that over 1/2 the people I talk to about have never watched it or heard of it..... a classic, like Dial M for Murder.  But I love Stanwyck, yes, including my tear jerker Stella Dallas.....

Barbara Stanwyck was a goddess. Love her. And Fred McMurray was so handsome. 

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

When in doubt about Chinese dynasties, always answer Ming.  That's how I got that TS -- total guess.  

It's always the Ming Dynasty. 

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I've never thought of the Great Pyramids as buildings.

Me either, but I couldn't think of anything else that would qualify so took a wild guess. 

Your mom's joke is too cute. I told Dr. Toothbrush we're going to hit IHOP this weekend just so we can tell it to the kids. Although any excuse to eat pancakes is a good one IMO. 

4 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I said Hindenburg as soon as the category popped up so FJ was an instaget. 

My DrScottie did the same. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

FJ was an instaget, but thanks to Seinfeld I have to say it in Newman's voice as his mail truck catches on fire.  WKRP became a secondary association after that.

I guess I'm the only person who hears Chandler Bing, then. While I do love that WKRP scene, it's been eclipsed by the classic "Ross attempts to flirt with the pizza girl while the rest of the group listens in" scene on Friends

Please, enjoy.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, illdoc said:

Delete & backspace (two different keys on my PC keyboard) do different things. Delete deletes the item to the left of the cursor, backspace to the right. That is, if it is 123 with the cursor between the 2 and the 3, delete will remove the 3 & backspace will remove the 2.

Delete removes the item to the right of the keyboard, as in your 123 example, and backspace the item to the right.

17 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I will never look at Fred McMurray the same way again.  I say that having only seen him in My Three Sons and similar type fare prior to watching Double Indemnity.

I got Ming (it's my go-to Chinese dynasty), Lara, Brahms and Lean.  Almost said great pyramid but didn't.  I was surprised no one got Jefferson Davis from 1862 Mississippi, and by no one at least guessing Saudi Arabia.

16 hours ago, Driad said:

Before we saw the FJ clue, I thought FJ might be about the Boston Molasses Disaster, which was 100 years and a few days ago.

I had a distant cousin, who died long before I was born, who was a reporter for a Boston paper at the time, and wrote an article about it.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, rubaco said:

Please, enjoy.

Still hilarious, after all these years.  I loved that show.

I really like Jill.  And I hope I haven't now jinxed her.

My ts's for last night were talk show, David Lean, Lara and Mecca.

FJ was another instance of pre-calling possible answers and coming up with the right disaster, so it was just another second to get the phrase.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I didn't and don't like Friends.

Cranky much @Browncoat?

I'm glad some liked my mom's joke. She was of the generation that would die before saying "ass" so that joke was very risque for her. I think it took me years before I finally "got" it too. We always had molasses on the table for Sunday-morning-after-church pancakes. Does IHOP offer it with their breakfasts? If so, that's a perfect setup for the joke @Toothbrush.

p.s. It's penguin weather here today, actual air temp is -25F with wind chill -56F. It was rather brisk feeding horses this a.m.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
59 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Cranky much @Browncoat?

Always!  I even have a mouse pad that describes me as "crabbit" -- it's Scottish for grumpy.

It's even penguin weather here in Virginia!  It's way colder here than where I was in Antarctica, and I've been wearing my pretentious orange parka, too!

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I hated Sean. I found him more annoying than Arthur Chu.

I'm pretty tolerant of a lot of the contestants' quirks but the buzzer mashing and that "there you go" hand wave motion kind of bugged me. He seemed like a smart dude, though. Taken down by FJ.

• Love 9

I can't remember the last time I actively rooted against a contestant. I was happy he lost, but I'm sad about Jill. I liked her calm demeanor and playing style. 

I had Tallchief, Amy Adams, Lesabre, and FJ after some thought.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Just a big gigantic WOW to that story. I've never heard of that, another thing we were not taught in school. It lends itself to so many jokes, except it's too tragic, so horrible. Thanks for posting. Are you in or near Boston?

I would steal that, but unfortunately no one would get it because in our house, molasses is for biscuits. Syrup (with 2% real maple!) is for pancakes. (It's right up there with "what did the fish say when it Dan into a concrete wall?"  " Dam! ")

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I would steal that, but unfortunately no one would get it because in our house, molasses is for biscuits.

Well, obviously the moles tunneling around your house can smell biscuits.

• Love 4

I couldn't pull FJ name out of my gin and tonic addled brain even though I knew who it was until my husband said it and I said Yes! I was making dinner at the start of the show when I heard my husband say there is a really annoying male contestant. :)

• Love 1

Let's try again, since I completely screwed up the last post.  In my defense, I feel like crap.

Anyway.....

20 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Since I am now rooting for Jill, I have probably doomed her, poor girl.

Yes!

7 hours ago, Trey said:

I really like Jill.  And I hope I haven't now jinxed her.

And yes! 

I was going to post last night that I liked her, but figured I would jinx her.

6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

p.s. It's penguin weather here today, actual air temp is -25F with wind chill -56F. It was rather brisk feeding horses this a.m.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!  Right now, it's 11F, with a howling wind.  Wind chill is supposed to be between -5 and -10. The dogs are in and out for a pee in record time.

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It's way colder here than where I was in Antarctica.....

That's alarming.

Luckily, I got Baskets tonight.  Otherwise, I laid a giant egg.

I was happy that Sean lost.  

Edited by lb60
  • Love 2

So sorry Jill - if only I could use my powers for good instead of evil (even if it is unintentional evil).  

I felt bad about the Tallchief TS.  I remember pictures of them back in the days when I took ballet lessons.  So regal and elegant.

Dorothy Parker was my immediate guess based on the vitriol but was the lacy sleeve  made me doubt myself.  I was glad the only person to get FJ right was the winner.

• Love 6

Am I the only one who caught the SHOUT OUT TO ME? Okay then.

I got Baskets and some other TSs that I didn't bother to write down. I did write down SABRE/SABER though. *cough*

I got a laugh that FJ was WOMEN Writers. Because, well, you know.

Speaking of FJ, I now have three in a row correct this week. I hope those wonders don't cease.

I'm living in Bizarro World since Sean didn't bother me and I found him slightly amusing. I think it was his bow tie that gave him a pass with me.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, lb60 said:

That's alarming.

It is, but it's also summer there, so it shouldn't be as cold!  Temps where (and when) I was averaged right around 32F or a little above.  Here, we are currently 13F with a wind chill of -1.  Our low tonight is meant to be around 5F.  And yes, I am wearing my Antarctica parka tomorrow morning when I go to work!

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Dorothy Parker was my immediate guess based on the vitriol but was the lacy sleeve  made me doubt myself.

I did exactly the same thing, but luckily stuck with her anyway.

• Love 4