Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I couldn't believe no one got carbon dioxide or lens.

I knew lens thanks to my mature cataracts and subsequent surgeries. I also got roaches.

I got FJ before Alex finished reading the clue, thanks to the miniseries, Texas Rising.

All the guys were annoying with their board hopping.  I liked Steve-O otherwise, but I hope the name is explained at some point.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I liked Steve-O otherwise, but I hope the name is explained at some point.

I thought it was because of his last name, Oppenheim. But I wonder if there's also some connection to the comedian.

• Love 2

Finally caught up after a busy week. It was good run of FJs for me. I got The Handmaid's Tale, Tony Blair, and Texas Rangers. I did briefly consider the US Marshalls, but I figured the liberated from Spain element called for Texas. Also got a couple of missed DDs, the Fall of the House of Usher and Light and Truth. I like Steve-O. His happiness at winning was so real and open. So many contestants try to restrain themselves. I suppose the Hopi name he mentioned was a middle name. Or it really is his name and just goes by Steve-O because no one can pronounce whatever he said it was. He seems like a very genuine person, if you know what I mean.

• Love 6

My (admittedly ungracious) take on Steve-O is that it is a name that his bro's started calling him in college & it's stuck. Which is fine amongst friends, but unless there is another Steve playing, the nickname is not necessary. Borders on douchey to me. 

George Stepanwhatever broke in a few clues into DD to inform us that the gov't shutdown as been temporarily lifted. As happy as I am for the furloughed workers, I will say it again - no more breaking news between 1-1:30 CT. Please & thank you.

TS I got before the ABC News newsbreak were PA & CO2. I looked up FJ on J Archives & it was an instaget. 

5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

To me, it sounded like he was  being   very   careful   not   to    misspeak. 

I though the same. His manner of speaking was much more relaxed when chatting with AT. 

2 hours ago, Kathira said:

I suppose the Hopi name he mentioned was a middle name. Or it really is his name and just goes by Steve-O because no one can pronounce whatever he said it was. He seems like a very genuine person, if you know what I mean.

My impression was that is Hopi name is a ceremonial one, not a legal one, but I guess it could be a middle name. O is his last initial (Oppenheim).

• Love 4

I didn’t much care for any of the three until I saw Steve-O’s delightful reaction to winning. So genuine! 

I got Carbon dioxide, marionette, laws, and Texas Rangers. I have used the US Code site several times for work.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I LOVE Steve-O! He was so genuinely happy to win. Mr. QB and I agree he didn’t look like someone who would know what portmanteau means.... so fooled us. 

I was neutral about the champ and Steve-O  at the beginning, though he won me over with his enthusiasm and delight in winning.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

Laws was beyond surprising; it seemed such a “gimme” from the wording, even setting aside my knowledge as a lawyer, but of course I can’t really do that.  So I’ll drop down from stunning, but I still say it’s surprising not one of them deduced it just based on logic.  Maybe they thought it was something more specific and didn’t want to risk being wrong with a guess of just “laws.”

My experience, working in municipal government, is that many people don't think of "codes" as "laws" but mere suggestions.

10 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

for some reason, I was sure it was green and blue. I'm going to have to go and read up.

I was sure it was green and blue too - because that's my color-blindness issue. It's all about me, don't ya know.

FJ was an instaget (from general knowledge, and maybe I saw a documentary or something recently, not sure). I looked up Buffalo Soldiers, which was pretty interesting. I'd heard the term (Bob Marly), but didn't know the history behind it.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

FJ was an instaget (from general knowledge, and maybe I saw a documentary or something recently, not sure). I looked up Buffalo Soldiers, which was pretty interesting. I'd heard the term (Bob Marly), but didn't know the history behind it.

Mr. Zoey is a huge Westerns fan, so I’ve seen Sergeant Rutledge, a 1960 John Ford movie, about the 9th Cavalry unit, Buffalo Soldiers, a number of times.  It’s set in the post civil war west.  There’s a Buffalo Soldiers museum in Houston.

• Love 2

I knew FJ.

Stevo-O annoyed me not just with his name but the fact he couldn't stand up straight. 

The former champ was sure going crazy with the buzzer.  It kind of annoys me, but after awhile, it does become amusing.  I am sure it has to be frustrating.  I'd probably do the same thing. 

• Love 3

Steve-O and Christopher were polar opposites in their speaking styles.  I liked Christopher, hoped he would win but Steve's reaction to winning won me over.  I agree with others who said they didn't think he said What Is on at least one of his answers, maybe more.

Carbon dioxide and lens were my only ts's. Instaget FJ.  I thought it was very obvious.  The Lone Ranger was originally a Texas Ranger.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Mr. Zoey is a huge Westerns fan, so I’ve seen Sergeant Rutledge, a 1960 John Ford movie, about the 9th Cavalry unit, Buffalo Soldiers, a number of times.  It’s set in the post civil war west.  There’s a Buffalo Soldiers museum in Houston.

They also had a first class postage stamp, back when it was 29¢...

Buffalo soldiers.jpg

• Love 2
2 hours ago, forumfish said:

As a 4th-generation native Texan, I'm ashamed to say I missed FJ. I misread the clue and thought they wanted a law enforcement group that operated in Europe. I came up empty.

Re: Buffalo Soldiers -- I had the privilege of working with Ken Pollard, who has done so much work educating students (and others) about the Buffalo Soldiers. Here is an interesting article with a video at the bottom of the screen.

Very interesting video.  Thanks for the share!

On 1/24/2019 at 11:37 PM, Sharpie66 said:

The BBC series Victoria also familiarized me with another one nicknamed Lord M, but I can’t remember his last name offhand.

Melbourne, as already noted above. Melbourne is the capitol of Victoria, Australia, somewhat fittingly if the history is known. It was declared a city by Queen Victoria in 1847, after which it became the capital of the new colony of Victoria in 1851. Lord Melbourne's real name was William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne. Everything is related!

• Love 2
23 hours ago, SHD said:

Middle guy speaks like Michael Ian Black. I don't watch the interviews - is he an actor or public speaker or something? He has a very trained-sounding voice.

I figured his manner of speaking was because he said he spent two days in a monastery before going to the audition, to calm himself.  Or was it two days before his appearance?  Whichever it was, he seemed quite relaxed. 

It's odd that his (apparent but not really?) slow speech didn't result in unopened clues -- it didn't slow the game.  I remember watching a film of a world-champion speed typist (back in the early 60's).  He was apparently doing 120 wpm (on a manual typewriter) but doing it so methodically that it appeared slow. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I figured his manner of speaking was because he said he spent two days in a monastery before going to the audition, to calm himself.  Or was it two days before his appearance?  Whichever it was, he seemed quite relaxed. 

It's odd that his (apparent but not really?) slow speech didn't result in unopened clues -- it didn't slow the game.  I remember watching a film of a world-champion speed typist (back in the early 60's).  He was apparently doing 120 wpm (on a manual typewriter) but doing it so methodically that it appeared slow. 

I thought it was interesting that one of the clues made reference to the Sloths in the movie Zootopia. Steve-O answered it, but I was thinking to myself that Christopher was slow and methodical like them. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 3
On 1/25/2019 at 3:26 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I was confused about the FJ question.  I thought they just wanted the first PM elected after Elizabeth was named queen, not the first one BORN after she was made queen. 

This was the clue: "He was the first U.K. Prime Minister born after Elizabeth II became queen"

• Love 1
15 hours ago, secnarf said:

This was the clue: "He was the first U.K. Prime Minister born after Elizabeth II became queen"

I know that is what it said, but I didn't read it or hear it too closely.  I just skipped right over the word "born" in my mind and just thought "after Elizabeth II became queen". 

On ‎01‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:05 PM, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  Not that I know much about UK prime ministers -- more like he was the only one I could think of besides Thatcher and May, who were obviously incorrect.

I was prepared for it to be some historic prime minister, so when it ended up being a recent one, I was a little thrown, but still got Tony Blair right away.

On ‎01‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:05 PM, Browncoat said:

ran the Poe category, and tried shouting "Fall of The House of Usher" at my TV, but, as usual, the contestant didn't hear me.  I also ran the blowhole category, and was surprised they all missed humpback whale.  Narwhal was a little more challenging, but "monoceros" led me to it fairly easily.  Other TS I got included amphibious, Light and Truth, and wildfires.

I got all of those.  I was shouting "haven't any of you seen Star Trek IV?" at the tv when none of them got humpback whale.

• Love 2
On ‎01‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:37 PM, Bastet said:

FJ was an instaget, but if I'd had to go much further back in the line of modern political history of the UK, I'd have been in trouble; from Thatcher on, I can rattle off the prime minsters, but before that it's basically Churchill or Chamberlain and then a bunch of blank spaces in my brain.  (Go further back and I'll guess Duke of Wellington and then stare blankly when you ask me which one, or if that's wrong altogether, try Earl of Something, so, yeah, "who was leader when" is not my strong suit.)

I would've known Disraeli, Lord Melbourne (due to the eternally hot Rufus Sewell on Victoria), the Pitts, and Neville Chamberlain.

On ‎01‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:30 PM, Quickbeam said:

I LOVE Steve-O! He was so genuinely happy to win. Mr. QB and I agree he didn’t look like someone who would know what portmanteau means.... so fooled us. 

I didn't mind him until after FJ, when his reaction to winning seriously turned me off.  Unless he has issues with being socially awkward, that was really assy.

On ‎01‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:13 PM, saber5055 said:

Melbourne, as already noted above. Melbourne is the capitol of Victoria, Australia, somewhat fittingly if the history is known. It was declared a city by Queen Victoria in 1847, after which it became the capital of the new colony of Victoria in 1851. Lord Melbourne's real name was William Lamb, 2nd Viscount Melbourne. Everything is related!

His wife left him for Lord Byron, only to get dumped by Byron.  She's the one who labelled Byron "mad, bad, and dangerous to know".

• Love 1
On ‎01‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:34 PM, Bastet said:

Maybe they thought it was something more specific and didn’t want to risk being wrong with a guess of just “laws.”

Yeah, that's what I thought.  Laws just seemed so simple.  I said it, but I thought I was wrong.

FJ was an instaget for me.

On ‎01‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:41 AM, Toothbrush said:

My impression was that is Hopi name is a ceremonial one, not a legal one

Yep, that was my take.

On ‎01‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 7:42 AM, Sharpie66 said:

I didn’t much care for any of the three until I saw Steve-O’s delightful reaction to winning. So genuine! 

My reaction was the exact opposite: he was fine until he won, and then he became a douche.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

That was a fun game. I like when it's close.

I had double indemnity, bananas, good grief, preemption, and cable. I had FJ pretty quickly, once I made sure they wanted the book, not the author. Lol. 

I liked all three contestants today, but congratulations to Jill. 

• Love 5

I was excited to see the Kansas Sunflower and Actuary as answers in the jeopardy section!  I’m from Kansas, though not living there currently, and my daughter and son-in-law are actuaries.  

I wasn’t so careful with FJ, so came up with the author, not the title.

• Love 5

I also re-read the clue very closely to make sure they wanted the book before I made a guess, and was surprised to learn my guess was right! 

The only TS I got were Double Indemnity and Hillenbrand.  I picked the wrong one for the book award -- I said Caldecott instead of Newbery.  Oops!

And I 100% agree with Alex -- we don't like pre-emptions!

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, ErinV said:

didn’t Alex used to NOT explain the categories for DJ?

Sometimes he would just say, "We know what that means."  Peachy, Alex, your mom must be proud.

Re Word by word: the secret life of dictionaries ... I worked on a major dictionary.  If you wonder who becomes a dictionary editor, they are interested in everything.  We had the most amazing conversations.

• Love 6

I don't feel one way or the other about Jill, but I was sorry to see Steve lose. :(

I got laurel leaves, Double Indemnity, Laura Hillenbrand, Newberry, and Good Grief. I also got Red Badge of Courage.

Instead of dismemberment I said disfigurement. I guess that was wrong.

Funny that Howard Schultz came up as a clue when he's currently in the news.

• Love 9

Not that no one knew it, but that no one – early in the game with little money at risk – guessed laurel for the plant symbolizing victory in the flag clue surprised me.  The preemption TS was just a surprise, period.  Laura Hillenbrand a bit, but I guess enough time has passed since Seabiscuit topped the charts that it’s not actually unusual for any three given contestants to not know.  Nah, I’m still putting that one in my “surprising” tally.  Same with rubber cement.  Good grief was surprising as a TS, too; I don’t like Peanuts, but between cultural osmosis and the category/clue spotting oxymoron and alliteration, there were enough ways to get there I'd have thought one of three would.  The missed DD of Double Indemnity surprised me only in that there didn't seem to be any "Oh, duh!" reaction on her part when it was revealed - maybe she's never heard of the film, but the policy term didn't ring a bell, either?

But, more importantly, it was a good game that moved fairly well.

I didn’t run it, but had a great first round; the only one I didn’t know was the turtle’s top shell being a carapace.  (Thank goodness for the photo of Topher Grace to accompany the clue, or I’d have missed that one in the same category.)   It always excites me when I run/nearly run a round.  I don’t think I’ve ever run a game (I must not have – that seems like something I’d remember!).

Thanks to the gods and goddesses category, that was not in the cards for round two, sigh.

I didn’t know the children’s books award, but the rest of the award etymologies I got in another category where I didn’t actually know any of the facts, but easily figured them out from the clues (this just happened recently with the category about who companies were named after).  I fear this will be another instance in which the underlying trivia does not stick in my mind.  (Although, thinking on it, I predict better luck here – Obie meaning Off Broadway will stick, and maybe that the Razzies mean Golden Raspberry, not just Raspberry, as I'd thought.)

I can’t decide which picture clue annoys me more – the backspace key or Justin Trudeau.

I doubt I'd have come up with FJ without the "blood" part of the quote subliminally putting "red" in my head and the general subject matter/time frame leading me to guess it -- I've never read it, or seen the film.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I can’t decide which picture clue annoys me more – the backspace key or Justin Trudeau.

Why? Are you Canadian? (I am.)

Recently in the news was a doppelganger for JT - I can't remember the guy's name or even what was so newsworthy to report... however, the guy definitely could be a double for Justin!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Bliss said:

Why? Are you Canadian? (I am.)

No, American, and I'm not naive enough to think even the average J! contestant can rattle off dozens of current world leaders without needing a picture added to the clue, but that of a neighboring country and given the media attention he gets in the U.S., I thought "identify the guy seen here" was a bit much.  At least it was in DJ rather than the first round.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, opus said:

Do I get credit that I said “Trudeau” but in my head thought “Pierre”?

Yes, because Pierre was in my head too, and I'm tonight's Decider, even though I knew it was wrong!

• Love 4

Good game! I'm happy for Jill. 

TS I got were laurel wreath, Double Indemnity, bananas, Newbery, good grief, pre-emption, cable. I had no idea for FJ, even though mini-Toothbrush #1 read it a year or so ago. Dr. Toothbrush got it right away.

Busy week for Howard Schultz - possible presidential run & now J! clue. The Justin Trudeau - who's this - clue was Teen Tournament level. 

4 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I was excited to see the Kansas Sunflower and Actuary as answers in the jeopardy section!  I’m from Kansas, though not living there currently, and my daughter and son-in-law are actuaries.  

I am an actuary too. Shoutout! 

4 hours ago, Driad said:

Re Word by word: the secret life of dictionaries ... I worked on a major dictionary.  If you wonder who becomes a dictionary editor, they are interested in everything.  We had the most amazing conversations.

I really want to read that book. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 4

Watching Jeopardy at 2:15 am is not recommended for good performance. I guessed Caldecott (wrong) and said Hildebrand instead of Hillenbrand, and got very few if any other TSes. Oh, well, at least I got FJ!

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Driad said:

Sometimes he would just say, "We know what that means."  Peachy, Alex, your mom must be proud.

I haven't read that - but I have read "The Great Passage" by Shion Miura, a novel about Japanese dictionaries. I enjoyed it a lot.

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Funny that Howard Schultz came up as a clue when he's currently in the news.

Yet another Jeopardy reaches into the future moment.

9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I love The Red Badge of Courage but it never once entered my head.

I wrote a paper on Crane in college, so I would have been ashamed to not get it. I did hesitate for a moment, because I forgot when Crane wrote it - and it was later than I thought.

5 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Watching Jeopardy at 2:15 am is not recommended for good performance. I guessed Caldecott (wrong) and said Hildebrand instead of Hillenbrand, and got very few if any other TSes. Oh, well, at least I got FJ!

Nope, it's the "other one." ;) Over the years, I tend to forget which is which. Of course there are other awards for children's literature, but those are the only two I remember.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I got "backspace" incorrect. I called it erase because that's what I've always called it, even though it is clearly labeled "backspace" on my laptop. D'oh!

• Love 3
17 hours ago, teebax said:

That was a fun game. I like when it's close.

I had double indemnity, bananas, good grief, preemption, and cable. I had FJ pretty quickly, once I made sure they wanted the book, not the author. Lol. 

I liked all three contestants today, but congratulations to Jill. 

I got double indemnity, laurel wreath and preemption - we talk about Jeopardy being preempted a lot around here, lol.  I also got Newberry; I used to work for a book store, and we always made a big deal when the award was announced every year.  Newberry is for children's literature & Caldecott is for children's picture books.  I knew Seabiscuit was written by Laura something, but the last name escaped me completely. 

FJ seemed almost too easy.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The only TS I got were Double Indemnity and Hillenbrand.  I picked the wrong one for the book award -- I said Caldecott instead of Newbery.  Oops!

We are astral twins! I also got Double Indemnity (I love old bw film noir) and of course I got Hillenbrand ... horses of courses. And I was quite confident saying "Caldecott" out loud to my tv. "D-oh!" TM Homer Simpson

15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got laurel leaves

Laurel wreath was a Jeopardy answer not that long ago. I remember because back before I started showing dogs and was studying pedigrees there was a famous dog shown in England named "Laurel Wreath."

15 hours ago, Bliss said:

Recently in the news was a doppelganger for JT - I can't remember the guy's name or even what was so newsworthy to report... however, the guy definitely could be a double for Justin!

Being a doppelganger for Mr. Trudeau is not necessarily a bad thing.

15 hours ago, opus said:

Do I get credit that I said “Trudeau” but in my head thought “Pierre”?

Yes, credit. Because no way do we want to see what's actually in your head @opus.

1 hour ago, teebax said:

I got "backspace" incorrect. I called it erase because that's what I've always called it, even though it is clearly labeled "backspace" on my laptop. D'oh!

I used to work with a CSR who called the Mac command key "the squiggly key."

Meanwhile, I broke my FJ Goose Egg Week by coming up with the correct answer. I know, it shocked me too. In my defense, however, last week was a suck-age week from hell and I didn't give a care about much of anything. This week, slightly better. Well, so far anyway.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Caldecott is for children's picture books.

Oh, thanks. That's why I said Caldecott, I worked as a children's book illustrator.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, teebax said:

My backspace key is labeled "delete," but I also said erase. 

• Love 2

Going back to our Banksy discussion, there's this: A mural attributed to the British street artist Banksy was stolen this weekend from the Bataclan concert hall in Paris, a memorial to the 90 people who died there in a 2015 terrorist attack.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I used to work with a CSR who called the Mac control key "the squiggly key."

I call the Mac command key "pretzel" and have heard "windmill."  My MacBook Pro does not have a backspace key; it's labeled "delete."