Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

The NASDAQ TS was pretty surprising (even more surprising was someone thinking the NYSE was that young).  Unsung was also a surprising TS; I figure that’s another one where they forgot the category, but unsung and hero go together well enough in the mind without the hint -- perhaps not knowing the reality show (nor did I) tripped them all up.  I’m most surprised none of them came up with the No L thing; I’d never heard of A’phabet Day, but the language of the clue was enough of a roadmap to Dec. 25 I was sure one of them would get it.  (And the Day is dumb, but it sure made me laugh.)

As usual, I was irritated by most of the "identify the person in this photo" clues.

I’m not much of a comics fan, so having to rely on the few I know and those picked up by cultural osmosis, I probably would have wagered conservatively on FJ.  But just like how I’d have kicked myself for such wagering on the Broadway Musicals category that turned out to be the Jersey Boys instaget, I’d have done the same tonight.  Calvin & Hobbes is one of the few I ever read (I think I even had a book).

• Love 1

Sorry Saber5055 - I definitely didn't intend ridicule and I apologize you saw it as such.  Please chalk it up to the difference between reading what I wrote and how I might have said it in a conversation with humor but not ridicule (and maybe a modicum of assuming innocence among posters).  

• Love 3
On 1/21/2019 at 10:35 PM, Bastet said:

Poetry is usually hit or miss on the show, but I can’t figure out if the Omar Khayyam TS surprised me – I’ve decided no, because I suspect it’s one where a whole lot more people could quote it than name the author.

I did my best Eulalie McKecknie Shinn and said, "Who is Omar Khay-ay-ay-ayyam appalled?"

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Mutt and Jeff! Hey, those could have been nicknames for that theologian and philosopher.

Ha!!  That was one of my guesses.  I was pretty sure it wasn't right.  ;-)  I'm not much of a comics fan. Obviously.

I did get The Book Thief, NASDAQ, and The Iceman Cometh, so I'm not a complete loser.

I never liked John, so I'm not sad to see him go.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 1

I liked John & will miss him, but I like Haley also. Like a few others, I noticed the swaying & hunnert, but her camp sounds amazing! Maybe she can have a special adult session for the The Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra. 

Sesame Street is going to be 50 y/o? Wow! 

TS I got were The Book Thief (Haley's missed DD), bullrush, NASDAQ, Chipotle, M. Butterfly, The Iceman Cometh, December 25th. FJ was easy-peasy. 

5 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Really, a picture of FDR, along with a mention of polio, Warm Springs, and the Little White House as a $600 clue?

And id a picture Michael Phelps. In a pool while mentioning that he's basically the GOAT of swimming. Only a $200 clue, but still Teen Tournament level. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I must be slow because I have no idea what the pun connection to A’Phabet being on December 25th. Also what a stupid day.

FJ was a IG.

"No L" = Noel = Christmas = December 25.

• Love 8

Another 4 time winner that fails in game 5.  Its like they are cursed lately. 

New champion seems pretty sharp.  Will see if it holds up. 

I was baffled by the "December 25th" answer until reading "Noel = No L" here.  I never would have thought of that

One of the easiest FJs in awhile. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, lb60 said:

I did get The Book Thief, NASDAQ, and The Iceman Cometh, so I'm not a complete loser.

I didn't get NASDAQ because my mind skitters away from all things financial. The Iceman Cometh was a play that really got to me in college, so I got that right away.

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I was baffled by the "December 25th" answer until reading "Noel = No L" here.  I never would have thought of that

One of the easiest FJs in awhile. 

Me too - my husband was the one who had to point it out - but then, he does all those cryptoquotes and puzzles and things, so it's his jam.

As is Calvin & Hobbes - we both guessed it before the clue was shown. Our favorite strip. Thank God our kids weren't Calvins.

• Love 5

Congrats to Haley on her win.  John's recovery made this a very tight game.

My ts's were The Book Thief, unsung and bulrushes; Mr.Trey got NASDAQ.  During the commercial break I was running through all the comic strip title characters I could think of and Calvin & Hobbes were on the list so it was instaget when the clue was read.  I loved that strip.

I didn't get the A'phabet thing either until I read Greekgeek's post. I've never heard of it before.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I realized it right away because a local golf course used to be the site of a major LPGA tournament and they marketed the tickets around Christmas time with an ad jingle that said that unless you bought a pass there would be "No-L, No-L, No-LPGA." It was annoying enough to be memorable.

• Love 2

If it's predestination, it's Calvin. If it's not predestination, it's Luther. That's almost all you need to know about protestants and the reform movement for Jeopardy. It's probably good to know the Huguenots, just because it gives Alex a chance to go French on us.

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I was stumped by FJ!  I think I’m the only person who never found Calvin and Hobbes funny.

I was stumped too, and I own several Calvin and Hobbes collections.  My problem is that nowadays, when I see the word comics, my mind goes to Superheroes -- probably because of all the superhero movies.  I couldn't come up with a superhero pair that fit the clue. 

But I wouldn't have gotten it anyway -- I had no idea why Waterston named those characters as he did. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kathira said:

I realized it right away because a local golf course used to be the site of a major LPGA tournament and they marketed the tickets around Christmas time with an ad jingle that said that unless you bought a pass there would be "No-L, No-L, No-LPGA." It was annoying enough to be memorable.

Rochester, by any chance?  

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I was stumped too,

As was I. I'm sad to say I haven't read a comic strip for more than a decade, back when I used to get the Sunday paper and always read the comics page. I do remember strips from my childhood though ... Terry and the Pirates, Lil Abner, Blondie, Family Circus. All comics from Before Your Time.

• Love 3
On 1/21/2019 at 7:14 PM, illdoc said:

Re FJ: I guess the contestants got caught up in "seasons" (A Man for All Seasons as a musical?)

Why not? They made one out of that boring behemoth Les Miserables 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I didn't get NASDAQ because my mind skitters away from all things financial.

I like that phrase. I definitely do that, or simply a phantom covering of my ears with "LA-LA-LA-LA I can't hear you."

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

No idea whether Terry and the Pirates still exists, though.

How crazy is it that, as a kid, I had a crush on Terry. I couldn't wait for the Sunday paper so I could see my "boyfriend."

@Browncoat, your Chinstrap avatar looks like @secnarf's Eeyore, especially when I take off my glasses.

I didn't have a tv yesterday (receiver box croaked out) but I put on a new one today so will be able to watch Jeopardy. Yeay for me.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Another 4 time winner that fails in game 5.  Its like they are cursed lately.

According to The Jeopardy Fan, the last 5-day champ was Alan Dunn way back in October!  Since then, the longest streak anyone has had is four games.

Did anyone else notice that Haley's FJ wager wasn't quite big enough?  Her final total was $27,400.  John had $13,800 at the end of DJ.  If he had bet everything, he would have ended up with $27,600 and won the game.  I have to figure that Haley did the math wrong.  I can't think of any other reason that she wouldn't bet that additional $201.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

Did anyone else notice that Haley's FJ wager wasn't quite big enough?

That happened in another game not too long ago. The champ didn't wager enough to win if the second-place player had gotten FJ correct. But as luck would have it, the champ got FJ and the others did not.

I wonder if John wishes he could have a do over. Hindsight is golden.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, teebax said:

That was an exciting game today! 

I had unsung, NASDAQ, The Book Thief, Chipotle, December 25th, and FJ in an instaget.

Congrats to Haley on the win! 

I was fine with John, but I liked the way she played. Her summer camp sounds amazing. 

I got unsung, The Book Thief, Chipotle, bulrushes, Pompidou and M. Butterfly.  Being a huge Calvin and Hobbes fan, it still took me a moment to come up with them but only a brief moment.

I don't care much for Haley one way or the other, but am glad John is gone.

18 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:
  On ‎01‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 10:35 PM, Bastet said:

Poetry is usually hit or miss on the show, but I can’t figure out if the Omar Khayyam TS surprised me – I’ve decided no, because I suspect it’s one where a whole lot more people could quote it than name the author.

I somehow managed to get that quote confused with a line from Ben Jonson's Song. To Celia.  ("Drink to me only with thine eyes")  Oops.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

Boo, hiss, indeed.  Tim was the least objectionable to me -- between Haley's finger guns and Rachel's vocal fry, I just couldn't with either one of them -- so of course he lost in the end.  I misread FJ, and came up with the author and not the novel. 

I did manage Borden, The Birds, and thorns, but that was about it for TS for me tonight.

• Love 2

Glad I’m not participating in the final jeopardy contest, because I really couldn’t parse that clue. I’m completely familiar with Margaret Atwood and the handmaids tale, but I couldn’t get that from the clue. 

• Love 9

I had Borden, The Birds, and thorns. I misread the FJ clue and said Atwood. Boo hiss indeed. I rewatched it, and that was an inexcusable mistake for me. 

I said "boo" for sweetheart in the two vowels category. Judges? It was something about a current word, and I've heard people call someone their boo. (I'm pleading my case here!) 

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I misread FJ, and came up with the author and not the novel. 

I did manage Borden, The Birds, and thorns, but that was about it for TS for me tonight.

Ditto for me; I named the author and not the book. I thought Atwood's first book was Oryx and Crake, but I guess that was set in Canada. That's one of the books I started a long time ago and didn't finish, so I don't recall the setting.

Another question: Would Boo have been acceptable instead of Bae as a word with three letters and two vowels?

ETA: I notice teebax was thinking the same thing!

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 5

I am in deep mourning about Elsie because the TS makes me feel really old.  I have fond memories of passing a billboard with a three dimensional head of Elsie going to church every Sunday and every other time I went to downtown Detroit for most of my childhood.  

Also did anyone else hear Rachel say ill instead of ail in the two vowel category? It is also what my closed captions said.  

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Haley's finger guns

The finger guns cracked me up because that's what we told @teebax to do when she gets on, as an homage to our PTV group. For all we know, Haley posts here.

I also laughed at the "... like a fish needs a bicycle" since I thought that hilarious at the time when we were all fighting for the ERA and reading Betty Friedan and Gloria Steinem. We even had t-shirts with that slogan. Funny the clue writers brought that up all these years later. And yes, fish STILL don't need bicycles.

What was up with the answer of "snake" getting a BMS? Yeah, the snakes were cobras, but still. BMS is so erratic on this show.

I got the TS of thorn from stopping to inspect the trees in the Mohave. You could almost use their thorns as arrows! We got our car stuck in the sand on the road shoulder because I had to stop to see the thorny trees. But that's another story.

12 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

I have fond memories of passing a billboard with a three dimensional head of Elsie

We had that same billboard! I loved driving past it, it was a favorite childhood memory. Maybe if those billboards were still around, Borden wouldn't have been a TS. I always wondered where the fiberglass Elsie head went after the billboard was taken down. Because I wanted it.

I vote a big YES to the "She's/He's my boo" answer. Thumbs up, you boo sayers.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 8
49 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Also did anyone else hear Rachel say ill instead of ail in the two vowel category? It is also what my closed captions said.  

Vocal fry will do that. I heard ill too and that's also what my captions said. I thought that's wrong as there's only one vowel there. 

Got FJ.  I wish Tim had gotten it too. 

I agree that both Boo and Bae are acceptable answers. 

• Love 5

Even though it was a video category, I would have gone straight to The Last Word w/ Lawrence O'Donnell.  I love me some Lawrence.

Anyway.....

I only got Borden and explode tonight.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought they were looking for the author for FJ.  Not that I could come up with the author, but that's besides the point.

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Even though it was a video category, I would have gone straight to The Last Word w/ Lawrence O'Donnell.  I love me some Lawrence.

Yes, I'm really glad they were able to get through that category, would have hated to miss it!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DrScottie said:

Vocal fry will do that. I heard ill too and that's also what my captions said. I thought that's wrong as there's only one vowel there. 

Got FJ.  I wish Tim had gotten it too. 

I agree that both Boo and Bae are acceptable answers. 

But the clue was something about being unwell. All would not be correct either. 

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Glad I’m not participating in the final jeopardy contest, because I really couldn’t parse that clue. I’m completely familiar with Margaret Atwood and the handmaids tale, but I couldn’t get that from the clue. 

I couldn't figure it out either, but my problem was probably more basic than yours. I was fixated on George Orwell and couldn't shift my brain.

2 hours ago, teebax said:

I said "boo" for sweetheart in the two vowels category. Judges? It was something about a current word, and I've heard people call someone their boo. (I'm pleading my case here!) 

I think 'boo' fit the clue just as well as 'bey.

2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Also did anyone else hear Rachel say ill instead of ail in the two vowel category? 

I thought so too but could be sure. If I were Alex, I would have asked her to repeat.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

What was up with the answer of "snake" getting a BMS? Yeah, the snakes were cobras, but still.

I, too, thought that was weird. What difference does it make? 

I didn't do too well tonight. I only got Borden. 

I didn't know that du Maurier wrote The Birds.

• Love 3

The vocal fry was such a mild version of that annoying tic/affectation - and of a degree that likely wouldn't even be noted in a man - it didn't bother me, but I knew it would irk others.  (I have a long history of somewhat ignoring the contestants in my focus on the clues - I root for women and people of color on general principle, but I'm not much invested in who wins, as the contestants are really just there to uncover the clues for me so I can quiz myself - so I frequently either do not even register or do but take no real notice of things, good or bad, that I read about once I come here after the game.)

Good game - close, yet still high scoring for all.  I thought some of the DJ clues were over valued (mostly the Two of the Three Letters Are Vowels category), but otherwise enjoyed it a lot.  Speaking of that category, I agree boo and BAE would both be accepted, and I'm surprised - by Alex not saying something like, "Yes, BAE, or also boo," as he does when they knew going in two different answers would be readily accepted - they seemed to be going for BAE (or has it become accepted as bae, rather than as the acronym?).  The category specifies nothing about two different vowels, and the clue only says it's "new," which both are; BAE is newer, certainly but I think in the context of J! boo qualifies as new and thus either one fits.  But by Alex's reaction to the answer, I guess they were defining new more strictly and thus going for BAE, but I believe they would've had to accept boo, too.

FJ was an instaget, but one that I immediately started second-guessing for some reason.  I wound up sticking with it.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Dbolt said:

But the clue was something about being unwell. All would not be correct either. 

I think the correct answer was ail. Closed captioning said ill.  I was expecting it to be overturned, because it did sound like she said ill.  Maybe they have judges wearing headphones and they heard the correct answer. It's a head scratcher.  

Edited by lb60
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I was fixated on George Orwell and couldn't shift my brain.

LOL. Orwell is all I could think of as well. I mean come on, 1984. But I didn't even try to shift my brain, my apathy over not knowing FJs lately is overwhelming. Good thing I'm not play the FJ Contest either, I'd be a shoe-in for the Dunce-Cap Prize.

10 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't know that du Maurier wrote The Birds.

Duh, neither did I. I guess I need to remove her name from "Favorite Authors" list.

• Love 2

I heard Rachel say ill also, but agree that it was her annoying vocal fry. Like Alex, I said boo hiss out loud when Tim's FJ answer was revealed. 

I got Borden, and will accept boo instead of bae if my answer of burst instead of explode would be accepted. I also read the FJ clue to be asking for the author, but wouldn't have been close since I thought The Handmaid's Tale" was written in the '70s. 

• Love 6

Long time lurker here.  I love reading this board and have started watching with half my brain on how you all are going to comment on it lol.

Did anybody else in the Boston area have a really weird broadcast with it freezing and then skipping clues/responses?  I'm wondering if it was the broadcast or my cable box.

• Love 3