Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

For FJ today, I fairly quickly figured out the musical they were referring to, but I have a mind block regarding its name! I always refer to it as 'The Four Seasons' because I can never remember what the actual name is. I would have had to write "the musical about Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons".

• Love 2

No TSs for me tonight.

However, I knew FJ before Alex finished reading.  As a Jersey girl, if I missed it I'm pretty sure I would get kicked out of the state. ;-)  Plus, I get an *.  Good for me!

• Love 7
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Her older sister Joanna is the one who went to law school though she is also a writer of young adult novels. JJ is the tv writer/producer who is married to Mike Schur who created Parks and Rec, The Good Place and Brooklyn 99.

I should have known that this would be answered before I even saw the question on this forum!  Yes, I went to law school with Joanna.  We were also both in an undergraduate creative writing course we took in addition to our law school work.

Jeopardy! was preempted for me too, and that always makes me a little cranky when I try to watch and it's something else instead, no matter what the something else is!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kathyk24 said:

Is this the first time someone publicly acknowledged they were gay on Jeopardy? I've seen it on Wheel of Fortune but not on Jeopardy.

I've never noticed it before, but I don't watch every night.  I did like that it was just a casual thing, I almost missed it.

I was saying to Mother Grundoon that Broadway Musical would be my dream FJ category but if I were on the show, I'd be afraid I'd get cocky and end up making a fool of myself.  When the clue came up, I was thinking well pride goeth before a fall when the answer  popped in my head.  I saw Jersey Boys some years ago and vaguely remember the narration but it was mainly the seasonal aspect that helped.

For both of them to come up with the same wrong answer seemed wild to me. But some of my favorite Sondheim musicals have had odder themes than Thomas More.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, kathyk24 said:

Is this the first time someone publicly acknowledged they were gay on Jeopardy? I've seen it on Wheel of Fortune but not on Jeopardy.

No. I did a bit of Googling on this. Glenn Edwards, who was on the Season 28 premiere episode, mentioned being in the New York City Gay Men's Chorus. In 2012, a Massachusetts horticulturalist named David Gard mentioned his husband. And there was Anderson Cooper on Celebrity Jeopardy, but I assume people already knew he was gay. I haven't found any info on women mentioning their wives, but maybe someone else can.

Now I'm off to find a cast album of A Man for All Seasons: The Musical!

• Love 5

I got pity ditty and Jersey Boys. Is this the first time someone publicly acknowledged they were gay on Jeopardy? I've seen it on Wheel of Fortune but not on Jeopardy.

No - it has happened before, in a similar casual manner. I remember at least one other time, but I cannot remember the contestant's name. It was another guy though - unsure if there has ever been a woman in that situation.

• Love 1

I got pity ditty and Jersey Boys. Is this the first time someone publicly acknowledged they were gay on Jeopardy? I've seen it on Wheel of Fortune but not on Jeopardy.

Okay, I'll own it. I did wonder out loud if the guy with the husband would get the Broadway musicals clue. I know, stereotypes...

but seriously, I can't believe referencing a same sex spouse/partner would be some new remarkable thing.

• Love 1

That was a horrible Columbo impression; Alex barely even tried (but did indeed try something, as that wasn’t his normal voice on the quote).

And he switched it up with an “Oh boy” instead of “Hello” when John made it a true DD.

The SSN answer in place of the draft was, to be kind, dumb.  That must be a pretty embarrassing brain fart for the contestant.  He made several ill-advised guesses that knocked him out of the game.

The peso and bonds clues did not belong in DJ.

Poetry is usually hit or miss on the show, but I can’t figure out if the Omar Khayyam TS surprised me – I’ve decided no, because I suspect it’s one where a whole lot more people could quote it than name the author.

I’d have been hesitant in my FJ wagering because that’s a wildly hit and miss category for me, and then I’d have kicked myself when it was an instaget (I’ve never seen it, but the wording of the clue led me right to it).  So I’m a bit surprised both missed it.  Actually, let me rephrase that; if they’d not been able to come up with Jersey Boys, but one scribbled something about The Four Seasons or Frankie Valli, I wouldn’t have batted an eye, but for both to go with A Man For All Seasons did surprise me.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, I'll own it. I did wonder out loud if the guy with the husband would get the Broadway musicals clue. I know, stereotypes...

but seriously, I can't believe referencing a same sex spouse/partner would be some new remarkable thing.

You are not alone.  I thought the same thing.  

I like John.  A very nice low-key kind of champ.  I hope he sticks around for a while.

• Love 2

I'm sure it has happened before. I rarely watch live and always fast forward through the interviews, so unless it was during a clue like it was today I would have totally missed it, but I can't imagine that it has not happened before now.  I actually saw Jersey Boys so the Final was not that hard.  Did well in TV category and a few others, but I admire John's gutsy wagers. From his first day I never imagined him being as confident as he is. I hope he manages to stay past 4 days.  I would love to see him in one of the tournaments. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, GenerationX said:

How is Jerry Lewis (of Dean Martin and) a bottom of the category clue?

Because it's before their time? :-)

Edited by SHD
  • Love 5

John continues to impress. I was so afraid that Alex had jinxed his all-in DD by saying he always wagers high & gets them right. 

Poor Hamzah! Too many bad guesses. I thought his story deserved a GFY more than Kelsey's (I liked her too)

The only TS I got was rand. FJ took a little bit to work it out, but I got it. * baby!

4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

3 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I like John.  A very nice low-key kind of champ.  I hope he sticks around for a while.

We wondered the same at casa Toothbrush  <hangs head> But I do like how he just casually threw it out that his husband would kill him if he risked it all again. 

As a lifelong Saints fan, all of my jinxing & voodoo powers are being focused on NFL referees at the moment, so I will also express my like for John & I hope to see him in the ToC after a long run as champion. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

I've watched Jeopardy since the 1980's and I've seen many references to husbands and wives. Tonight was the first time I've heard a reference to a same sex marrigage.

I’ve seen Jersey Boys and still guessed Spring Awakenings.

The Old Faithful DD was a kid’s level clue.  There was one other clue that was in the $1000 range that I was shocked at, but now I can’t remember what it was.

• Love 7

(Peeayebee, if you’re interested, check out one of the Spring Awakening Tony performances on YouTube. There were two—the original cast in 2007, which included Lea Michele, Jonathan Groff [both from Glee], and Skylar Astin from Pitch Perfect, and the revival from 2015 done by Deaf West. Both are really terrific!)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

And I will be stereotypical by mentioning I am surprised the gay male contestant missed a modern Broadway Musical question.  Though it didn't matter

Another 4 time winner going for 5 tonight, has been rough on them lately. 

I don't recall if other contestants have admitted being homosexual before on this show.  I thought there had been but I may be getting The Wheel and Jeopardy memories mixed up, so I am not sure.  Happens all the time on Wheel.  I recall one mentioning being in a bowling league with his group of homosexual friends and they all had "pun" names like 'Britney spares', but I can't remember if that was Wheel or Jeopardy.

I was thinking along the lines of Frankie Valli and the four seasons but couldn't remember the name of it being Jersey Boys for some reason

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I don't recall if other contestants have admitted being homosexual before on this show.  I thought there had been but I may be getting The Wheel and Jeopardy memories mixed up

Me too. I thought it had happened a few times on Jeopardy, but, like you, I may be thinking of Wheel.

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’ve seen Jersey Boys and still guessed Spring Awakenings.

Great minds!

3 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

(Peeayebee, if you’re interested, check out one of the Spring Awakening Tony performances on YouTube. There were two—the original cast in 2007, which included Lea Michele, Jonathan Groff [both from Glee], and Skylar Astin from Pitch Perfect, and the revival from 2015 done by Deaf West. Both are really terrific!)

Thanks! I'll do that.

I liked all the contestants last night.  Too bad the fellow on the end couldn't dig himself out of his hole - he would make a little progress and then slide back in even deeper. John is very good - were his last three games runaways?

My ts's were rand, pity ditty and Ogden Nash.  I kind of just gave up on FJ; if I'd tried a little harder I might have figured it out. I've never seen Jersey Boys but I've certainly listened to enough of their music.

My apologies to J5Cochran - I started to post something then changed my mind but I could not delete your link, so you will get a notification for no reason.

@j5cochran

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I've never seen the show and don't know anything about it except what I've seen on commercials for it, but I was able to figure out FJ - the clue made me think "four seasons" which led me to Frankie Valli, and from there to "Jersey Boys".

That was my thought process as well, but I've actually seen the musical. I don't remember it being broken into parts. However, knowing about Frankie Valli made it an easy one for me.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And I will be stereotypical by mentioning I am surprised the gay male contestant missed a modern Broadway Musical question.  Though it didn't matter

I don't recall if other contestants have admitted being homosexual before on this show.

You're comment about "admitting" being gay is a bit strange. You admit something negative about yourself. I'm not comfortable with the idea I have to "admit" being gay. I'm pretty proud of it. That being said, I had the same thought about him missing a Broadway category FJ.

I mean, I'm pretty butch. If there were a softball or WNBA category, I'd expect a lesbian to run it, even though none of my female partners have remotely been interested in sports. 

Anyway, one of my interview stories is about my partner wanting to go to Greece and my wanting to take her if I can. If it comes up, I wonder how many people watching from home will think I'm referring to a business partner.

• Love 12

I have so many same-sex-married friends, I didn't give John's husband comment a second thought nor thought it worth mentioning here. Except now I'm mentioning it here.

While John is a good player, I still hold a little bit of a grudge against him for becoming a champ by default when @j5cochran missed FJ in the game she easily would have won.

• Love 8

Well I really don't care that much about their lives. I think the most I've been interested in that way has been since I started this forum when other people come in and post what they heard. Other than that I honestly don't look at the contestants and  wonder about if they are gay or straight married or single Etc. I guess I don't expect anyone to declare just like I don't expect people who are heterosexual to declare that in any way. Un like Alex I also don't expect people who are English teachers to get all the literature questions by or bartenders to ring  in on every drink, or a person from Canada to be the first getting all of the Canadian questions. I do sometimes catch the interviews especially if I'm watching it live or with somebody else and I'm fairly certain that people have referred to their partners in the past and I guess I guess something they said made me think they may be talking about a same-sex partner instead of a business partner Etc. At this point I don't know why it would be something that would be notable it should just be commonplace. So if this was the first time then hooray for John for just mentioning it like it was a regular day which it should be. I just want them to  be knowledgeable and entertaining and I guess that's why I don't care so much about watching the interviews. interview. Their backstory and motivations I don't want to know so that I don't form any preconceived notions about what they should know Etc.

By the way Jersey Boys was amazing and I really wish that I would have seen it on Broadway. But then again I like Frankie Valli so I guess I am biased

• Love 2

I want John gone.  I didn't mind him before, but he looked smirky last night when the girl in the middle answered the Bronx.  Plus, Old Faithful for the DD in Double Jeopardy?  Really?  And I really dislike runaway games - I find them boring.

I answered Rent because of the song Seasons of Love.  I figured the date was too late, but it was all I could think of.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I have so many same-sex-married friends, I didn't give John's husband comment a second thought nor thought it worth mentioning here. Except now I'm mentioning it here.

While John is a good player, I still hold a little bit of a grudge against him for becoming a champ by default when @j5cochran missed FJ in the game she easily would have won.

I don't begrudge John his wins at all!  I beat a four-game champ, Anneke Garcia, and the one who beat me is about to become a five-game champ (yes, I'm incurably optimistic!).

According to the Tournament of Champions tracker on The Jeopardy Fan website ( https://thejeopardyfan.com/ ), Anneke is currently the highest ranking four-game winner for this year's TOC, and has a pretty good chance of making the tournament.  If John wins today, he'll be in the TOC.  So, I don't begrudge John his wins at all!  I could end up being the silver medalist in a game between two players in the 2019 Tournament of Champions!  Go, John!

As I have mentioned elsewhere, my family and I sat with John's family during the fourth and fifth game recordings. I knew he was married, but I was surprised that he mentioned it during the game.  He seems a private sort of person.

• Love 17
52 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I answered Rent because of the song Seasons of Love. 

I also thought of Rent but dismissed it.  Then I thought of the play (don't even know if it's a musical or not) that Jim Parsons has been in because I thought it had four main stars but I couldn't even remember its name, which turned out to be The Boys in the Band. Four Seasons = four guys in a band - could have been it:)

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Trey said:

I also thought of Rent but dismissed it.  Then I thought of the play (don't even know if it's a musical or not) that Jim Parsons has been in because I thought it had four main stars but I couldn't even remember its name, which turned out to be The Boys in the Band. Four Seasons = four guys in a band - could have been it:)

LOL. Those are the two I came up with as well, even though I knew both were wrong.

Interesting side note, the first record I ever bought as a kid, a 45 that I walked downtown to buy at the Woolworth's, was Walk Like A Man by ... The Four Seasons. Hey, that could be a Jeopardy clue some day so pay attention.

29 minutes ago, j5cochran said:

I don't begrudge John his wins at all!  I beat a four-game champ, Anneke Garcia, and the one who beat me is about to become a five-game champ (yes, I'm incurably optimistic!).

According to the Tournament of Champions tracker on The Jeopardy Fan website ( https://thejeopardyfan.com/ ), Anneke is currently the highest ranking four-game winner for this year's TOC, and has a pretty good chance of making the tournament.  If John wins today, he'll be in the TOC.  So, I don't begrudge John his wins at all!  I could end up being the silver medalist in a game between two players in the 2019 Tournament of Champions!  Go, John!

Bless your heart. You are the nicest person ever @j5cochran. Okay, I've dropped my grudge against John for besting you, and crossing fingers he turns in his fifth win today. And I hope, I hope, that you get your TofC-ranked silver medal!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I thought Boys in the Band too. Never made the four seasons connection, even though I saw the movie. I always forget the band name (I do this with other bands too. I am a lead singer kinda gal, I am shallow. )

As for mentioning his husband, I just thought how nice it was that he was able to do it so casually on a mainstream show.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Trey said:

It's not a musical. In fact, the advertisement for the movie said just that--and Pauline Kael commented, "Next time around, it probably will be." (Hasn't happened yet.)

So the Four Day Curse got John. Haley is OK, though she needs to watch the tendency to say "hunnert."

Tonight I got The Book Thief (missed DD), unsung, NASDAQ, M. ButterflyThe Iceman Cometh, December 25, and Georges Pompidou. 

Really, a picture of FDR, along with a mention of polio, Warm Springs, and the Little White House as a $600 clue?

Easy FJ. No wonder everyone wrote the answers quickly.

• Love 8

Very easy FJ. I also got The Book Thief and December 25th. I like Haley. We were preempted for MLK Day stuff yesterday, so I missed John's reference to his husband, but I wouldn't be surprised if Haley had a wife. Spouses don't always come up in the Q&A section, so we may not find out for sure unless she's on for a while.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 2

That was an exciting game today! 

I had unsung, NASDAQ, The Book Thief, Chipotle, December 25th, and FJ in an instaget.

Congrats to Haley on the win! 

I was fine with John, but I liked the way she played. Her summer camp sounds amazing. 

• Love 4

Boys in the Band is definitely not a musical.  It is a play about several gay men in the 70s (I think I am right on the date  - may be 60s and I read it in the 70s).

I ran the Plays and Musicals locations category but wish not so many had been popular movies.  Also was Caberet the only musical?  If so, boo!

All three players were good but I will admit rooting against Haley only because of her swaying (which I might doing without realizing it myself). 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

Boys in the Band is definitely not a musical.

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

It's not a musical.

Yeah, we knew Rent and Boys In The Band were not correct. That's why they were called guesses by those who guessed them. How about someone tell me what wrong answer would have been so appropriate that no one would ridicule it as an answer.

Can't think of one either?

Alrighty then.

I was trying hard to make @opus today's FJ answer.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

Easy FJ. No wonder everyone wrote the answers quickly.

I was wracking my brain to think of what other two name comic strips it could possibly be, and the only one I could think of was “hi and Lois “. Am I missing anything?

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I was trying hard to make @opus today's FJ answer.

The category was comic strip title characters, so it was possible. Although Opus debuted in Bloom County, that eventually morphed into Outland, which eventually morphed into a strip called Opus. So at one point he was the title character. (Trivia- Both Outland and Opus were Sunday-only strips)

Edited by opus
  • Love 5
47 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I was wracking my brain to think of what other two name comic strips it could possibly be, and the only one I could think of was “hi and Lois “. Am I missing anything?

Mutt and Jeff! Hey, those could have been nicknames for that theologian and philosopher.

42 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The key word for me in the FJ clue was "Episcopalian" which goes to Calvert.

LOL since Episcopalian wasn't in the clue. European was though. But hey, that's pretty cool if an imagined word helped you get the correct answer!

As an aside, I was raised Episcopalian and have never heard Calvert associated with that religion. We got a lot of divorced Catholics coming to our services since the Episcopal church is basically Roman Catholic but allows divorce. We're "Catholic Light."

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

Did everyone get a "Good for you!" in the interview section tonight?  I know both women did, but I got distracted by something shiny during John's portion. 

My biggest beef with all three contestants was their starting in the middle!  C'mon people, start at the top!  Make my OCD heart happy!  <ahem>

I got The Book Thief, Chipotle, and The Iceman Cometh.  There were a couple of others I should have known, but couldn't pull to the front of my brain in time.  FJ was easy for me, too.  I loved that strip.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Did everyone get a "Good for you!" in the interview section tonight?  I know both women did, but I got distracted by something shiny during John's portion.    

No! I was watching for that too after the first two. He got something similar that I can’t remember. But not a gfy triple crown. 

• Love 1

I'm sorry John lost -- what a great comeback he had -- but I have no problem with Haley.

I got The Book Thief, unsung, Chipotle, and The Iceman Cometh.

I also got Calvin & Hobbes about five words into the clue.

• Love 4