Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

7 hours ago, teebax said:

My audition is Thursday in Culver City. Fingers crossed!

The best of luck to you!  Be upbeat, stand up straight, speak up and smile! And don't worry if you don't get picked this time.  I didn't get invited to the show until my fourth audition!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, SHD said:

I wonder if they would've accepted "Joey Ratz" for Benedict. That's all I called him after hearing it on The Daily Show.

There's a plaque about him the Frauenkirche in Munich, because he was archbishop, and when I saw it I might or might not have said "Joey Ratz!" in an regrettably loud voice.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, j5cochran said:
8 hours ago, teebax said:

The best of luck to you!  Be upbeat, stand up straight, speak up and smile! And don't worry if you don't get picked this time.  I didn't get invited to the show until my fourth audition!

So excited for you both. Tomorrow is @j5cochran day, Thursday is @teebax Good Luck Day. Everyone here is Almost Famous.

• Love 10
On 1/12/2019 at 5:55 PM, j5cochran said:

On Wednesday, January 16, which means I met Anneke on the bus, on the way to the studio.  It's so cool to see someone that I have met on television!

Well, now we know you two will officially be matched up against each other.

• Love 2

And, to my shock, someone "sat it out"! That's what we say when two players are very close to each other (going into FJ) and the third player is a distant third. We tell them to "sit it out" (i.e. bet $0), figuring the other two players will have to bet (nearly) everything & if they get it wrong, third player will win (granted, didn't happen in this case, but could have). But, usual, third player bets a lot and gets it wrong, losing any possible shot they had of winning.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, opus said:

Well, now we know you two will officially be matched up against each other.

@opus posts what I thought but was keeping to myself!

Shout out to my favorite movie, Doctor Detroit.

Janis Joplin ... so young. So sad.

The "blind" in that photo must be from some obscure part of the country. No self-respecting Midwestern hunter would build something that looks like a kid's playhouse and put it out in the open and call it a blind. And especially not when there are great woods right behind it that would house a fantastic tree stand. Or "blind"!

Three good players today. It was a good game, nicely paced, with all three giving a great showing. Well done.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, SHD said:

I wonder if they would've accepted "Joey Ratz" for Benedict. That's all I called him after hearing it on The Daily Show.

Me too! I honestly don't think I would have been able to get that question right on the show, because all I could say out loud at home was "JP2 and Joey Ratz!!"

11 hours ago, teebax said:

I had Carrie Fisher, which was a surprising TS, and John Philip Sousa. Final Jeopardy came to me immediately, and I wasn't surprised all three contestants had it right. That one was pretty easy.

One of my students said he hopes I make the show and finish in the red so he can laugh at me. That was one of the meanest things I've been told. Thankfully, the rest of the class got all over him for it. He said he was just kidding but, really dude?

Good luck! And your student is an ass.

• Love 5

I was sort of rooting for Evan as a fellow Michigander (although he is from the other side of the Mitten).  All three players were good though.

The FJ quote sounded way more Hooverish than FDR-like but the second guessing mosquito got in my brain and who knows how I would have answered in the studio.

What an exciting week for all of us in the forum.  Best of luck to both J5Cochran and Teebax.  Happy thoughts directed westward to you both.

I hope I get to see J5Cochran. The Detroit station will be doing a special on the upcoming Auto Show at 7:30 but I hope that means they will bump Wheel of Fortune at 7 instead and showing Jeopardy.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, teebax said:

One of my students said he hopes I make the show and finish in the red so he can laugh at me. That was one of the meanest things I've been told. Thankfully, the rest of the class got all over him for it. He said he was just kidding but, really dude?

I'm guessing, not one of your brighter students? I hope he never needs a letter of recommendation for college.

Good luck with your audition.  :-)

1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

I got FJ! I figured it had to be Hoover because FDR was just too obvious. 

I thought the opposite.  I thought Hoover was too obvious, so thought of FDR.  Happily, I stuck with Hoover.

Evan needed to keep his buzzer hand still.  His wild circling was making me ill.

Anneke is a beast.

Good game!

• Love 3

I think the FJ clue was a good one - almost every contestant would know it was either Hoover or FDR, but only those who know their respective political philosophies, not just that both were president in that era, would find it an instaget.  So, while at first blush it seems too easy for FJ, I think it's actually  appropriately challenging.

But a picture of Janis Joplin?!

If someone had guessed concave for the convex clue, I assume Alex would have followed suit and chalked that up to another one where the first contestant guessing wrong allowed the second one to get it right by process of elimination.  Never mind that perhaps a J! contestant knows which Ayn Rand book was about what or which axis is x and which is y.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Hoover did not believe the government should do anything for the Depression. His philosophy was that it was up to individuals to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.  

I wasn't sure about Hoover's philosophy, but since FDR did the New Deal I thought that didn't sound like something he would say. Therefore, Hoover seemed a pretty good choice.

Good game. The Movie Occupation category, though, was way too easy.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

If someone had guessed concave for the convex clue, I assume Alex would have followed suit and chalked that up to another one where the first contestant guessing wrong allowed the second one to get it right by process of elimination. 

Maybe, but I believe that clue specified a 6 letter response.

• Love 5

I really overthought that FJ. I knew it couldn’t be FDR, but instead of thinking about Hoover, I went back to an earlier depression and picked Cleveland for the 1893 depression. 

And I was keeping track—there wasn’t a single TS in that ep! GFY, all three of you.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 4

I felt like I was Alex Trebeck, being snobby and correcting the pronunciation of Sami from the video clue and Alex’s pronunciation of gravenstein. I don’t mind contestants pronouncing wrong, but the show should be right! 

• Love 1

Great game! I really like Anneke but will root for @j5cochran Wednesday. Retroactive good luck!

I was able to work out FJ by equating the working in your own communities part of the quote to be directed at Hoovervilles that sprung up during that time. I remember learning that there was a large one close to the White House. 

Loved that no one skipped around the board, and they went left to right, top to bottom in DJ. The Skansen Open Air Museum has been added to my travel bucket list. 

3 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

And I was keeping track—there wasn’t a single TS in that ep! GFY, all three of you.

There was one - Harriet Beecher Stowe in the Women Authors category. I'm surprised that it was a TS because the picture they used must be a famous one since I got it as soon as it was shown. Speaking of pics - Janis Joplin? Really? 

Good luck @teebax!!!

• Love 9
11 hours ago, illdoc said:

And, to my shock, someone "sat it out"! That's what we say when two players are very close to each other (going into FJ) and the third player is a distant third. We tell them to "sit it out" (i.e. bet $0), figuring the other two players will have to bet (nearly) everything & if they get it wrong, third player will win (granted, didn't happen in this case, but could have). But, usual, third player bets a lot and gets it wrong, losing any possible shot they had of winning.

The second place person really didn't have to bet much, which is why I thought they guy in third should have bet something.  She was a couple of thousand behind, she could have just bet that.  She didn't, but it was a possibility.

But he wasn't going to win either way with how the FJ played out, so it didn't matter

I answered FDR, even though it sound more like Hoover based on the quote.  Usually in Jeopardy its the more well known person for the answer, hence FDR over Hoover. 

12 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

That's what I thought & it did not sound like something FDR would have said

That's what I said out loud, breaking our rule that we keep quiet during FJ until both of us have answers. Which meant my husband also spoke - and got Hoover before my mind traveled down the correct path. Then we had a discussion about their relative philosophies - Hoover's "fix it yourselves" vs FDR's approach. You can do a lot during that song if you're not writing, apparently.

5 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Oh, that’s right! I forgot about Stowe, and I didn’t get it, either. I guessed Louisa May Alcott.

American writers with ringlets mean Louisa May to me too (maybe Emily Dickinson?? But she was a poet, so didn't come to mind).

It was a solid game.

Keeping my fingers crossed for @j5cochran tonight, and will think of you tomorrow @teebax

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, Driad said:

Being on Jeopardy is like being on an Olympics team.  You're a champ whether you get a medal or not.  I hope some of the students asked that one if he had been on Jeopardy.

I recorded my episodes while the Winter Olympics were going on.  Maggie, the head contestant coordinator, told us in the pre-show briefing:  "This is your Olympics.  And even if you finish in third place in your game, guess what?  You just won the bronze medal."

• Love 16
13 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I got FJ! I figured it had to be Hoover because FDR was just too obvious. 

I got FJ, too!  The song from "Annie" always helps me to remember who was President during the Depression-era.  "We'd like to thank you Herbert Hoover....."  Whatever works!

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

There was one - Harriet Beecher Stowe in the Women Authors category. I'm surprised that it was a TS because the picture they used must be a famous one since I got it as soon as it was shown.

I guess I haven't seen a photo of Stowe that stuck with me. This one brought Mary Shelley to mind (though they don't really look alike), but she's English so I ended up having no guess.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Julia67 said:

I got FJ, too!  The song from "Annie" always helps me to remember who was President during the Depression-era.  "We'd like to thank you Herbert Hoover....."  Whatever works!

"You dirty rat you/bureaucrat you/made us what we are today".

• Love 4
4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I recorded my episodes while the Winter Olympics were going on.  Maggie, the head contestant coordinator, told us in the pre-show briefing:  "This is your Olympics.  And even if you finish in third place in your game, guess what?  You just won the bronze medal."

So much word to this, says the person who has not qualified for any Olympic sport and will never be on Jeopardy. Everyone who appears on this show is someone special, whether they wave their buzzer over their heads or dance during their intro.

• Love 11
On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:52 PM, mojoween said:

The Baltimore Orioles TS made me sad.  Frank Robinson?  Earl Weaver?  Bueller?

I was calling them stupid for not knowing, and then I saw a picture of Yasser Arafat and said Anwar Sadat for some idiotic reason.

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:08 PM, GreekGeek said:

I also got Dutch Schultz, vertebrae, and barcarole

I missed baccarolle, even though I love Offenbach's, but got the others.  I knew about Dutch Schultz wanting to kill Thomas Dewey from a biography I read of Schultz; Dewey was instrumental in getting Schultz arrested, although he beat the rap in two different trials.

On ‎01‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:43 PM, Toothbrush said:

I thought Sarah's DD of Dutch E. India Co was a $400 clue at best - in Kid Jeopardy no less. Doesn't everyone learn that in 4th or 5th grade?

I thought it was easy but I never learned about it in school, only from reading I've done on my own.  So I'll forgive anyone who didn't get it.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, ABay said:

There's a plaque about him the Frauenkirche in Munich, because he was archbishop, and when I saw it I might or might not have said "Joey Ratz!" in an regrettably loud voice.

I answered Benedict the Ferengi, because that is what he looks like.

16 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I was sort of rooting for Evan as a fellow Michigander (although he is from the other side of the Mitten).  All three players were good though.

I was hoping he would lose because I thought he was weird looking.  Not his fault, of course, but it bugged me nevertheless.

11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

There was one - Harriet Beecher Stowe in the Women Authors category. I'm surprised that it was a TS because the picture they used must be a famous one since I got it as soon as it was shown.

I've never seen a picture of her before, so I had no idea.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:
  On 1/13/2019 at 10:43 PM, Toothbrush said:

I thought Sarah's DD of Dutch E. India Co was a $400 clue at best - in Kid Jeopardy no less. Doesn't everyone learn that in 4th or 5th grade?

I can't remember one minute of 4th or 5th grade much less what or if I learned anything there.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

So much word to this, says the person who has not qualified for any Olympic sport and will never be on Jeopardy. Everyone who appears on this show is someone special, whether they wave their buzzer over their heads or dance during their intro.

Right. We just don't like it when they act like they know they're special - LOL. (This is also true for people not on Jeopardy.)

• Love 4

j5cochran, when is your game going to air? 

On Wednesday, January 16

So may I take this opportunity to say THANKS A HELL OF A LOT, CHANNEL 4 IN DETROIT. Jeopardy is getting pre-empted here for a lame locally produced special about the Detroit Auto Show (which is underwhelming this year). I couldn't find it airing anywhere else, so good luck, j5cochran. I hope you get a second game so I can root you on! 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I can't remember one minute of 4th or 5th grade much less what or if I learned anything there.

That's why I never cared when I didn't know answers for "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader." I learned a lot then - and learned a lot since then. I can't remember it all!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

Never mind that perhaps a J! contestant knows which Ayn Rand book was about what or which axis is x and which is y.

When the Ayn Rand clue came up, I just assumed, no matter what I said, it’s gonna be the other one. 

• Love 4

I was rooting for you, too, @j5cochran!  You played a great game.  Sorry you were done in by FJ.  Not that it matters, but I didn't get it, either.  :)  Great story about the Mountaineers Marching Band, too!

I did manage to get 76, Salvage Dawgs, Chief Justice, pancreas, and bishop.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Julia67 said:

Haha!  That also helped me.

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I, on the other hand, remember almost everything.  Projects we did, plays we put on, where in the building my class was, games we played at recess.  Sixth grade, even more so.  I worshipped my teacher.  He was one of the reasons I eventually ended up in education.  Hell, I even remember my high school locker combination.  

3 hours ago, Trey said:

Best retroactive luck to you @j5cochran, aka Jill.

Apparently, I'm a complete idiot because I thought J5COCHRAN was John from tonight's game, and I really didn't like him because of the board hopping. I just went back and watched the intros, so now I feel doubly stupid.  lol  In my defense, it's been a long week.  I would have been happy with a Jill or Anneke win.

I only got 76 and Ethiopia (lucky guess) tonight.  No clue for FJ.

• Love 6

I totally forgot about @j5cochran being on tonight, and came here to say I was rooting for Jill. Phew! You are SO smart! What an impressive game. I didn't even know the mutiny on the Bounty connection, so had no clue for final Jeopardy. 

• Love 8

Jill, congratulations on your silver medal!

I misunderstood FJ ("In 1790 Thursday October Christian became the first child whose birth was recorded on this remote island") and thought Thursday October referred to the birth date and Christian was the child's first name. If they had said "a child named Thursday October Christian" I might have had a chance.  Oh well.

• Love 5

Well played, Jill! You were pretty dominant for most of the game, and showed an impressive breadth of knowledge. Sorry you got tripped up by FJ; I really thought you were going to win. It was a fun game to watch.

• Love 18
39 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I felt slightly embarrassed I knew Salvage Dawgs.

I have no idea how I knew that one.  I don't watch any of the shows in that category, but I knew several; the rest I can say for sure I've seen them referred to in "Everything Else TV" discussion threads here at pTV, but that one I have no idea how it got into my brain.

The Chief Justice TS surprised me, but I suspect the misses tangled them up rather than honing them in on the right answer, because I’m sure at least one of the three knows the highest-ranking judge of the U.S. Supreme Court is called Chief Justice!

Similarly, I thought the bishop TS might have been a result of forgetting the category versus all three not knowing/blanking.  I wouldn't have come up with it without the category, because I don't know how to play chess, but given the category I knew that was the piece they were after.

The Tito’s TS would have been surprising among a group of Angelenos; I wonder if after that miss, any of the contestants noticed its prevalence on drink menus while in the area for taping (that still wouldn’t give them the “handmade,” as that’s on the label, but although made in Austin it’s very popular here in L.A. [it’s better vodka than most of the same price range, so it’s popular with both patrons and establishments when it comes to drink specials, plus micro-brewed/distilled is always popular here], so it may be something they noticed after the fact).

A picture of Rachel Maddow isn’t quite as bad as last night’s picture of Janis Joplin, but come on.

I had absolutely no idea on FJ.

• Love 3