Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got Kool-Aid, horseradish, Joe Cool, Addams, and rotator cuff.

Instead of Sister Carrie, I chose An American Tragedy. I couldn't remember which came first.

FJ was easy for me. I always thought that was a clever logo, having the gun for the letter R. I never knew the background.

I got horseradish, rotator cuff, Addams, sobriquet and Sister Carrie, which is the only Dreiser title I know so it's what I always answer for him.  I said Yoo Hoo instead of Kool Aid (D'OH!), and I said Spike instead of Joe Cool - oops.

And I'd have made them give me credit for On the Origin of Species, because that is the correct shortened title.

• Love 3

Great, now I'm jonesing for horseradish, too (and my "sauce" for beef tenderloin/prime rib is just grated fresh horseradish, so I like it full strength).

1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

And I'd have made them give me credit for On the Origin of Species, because that is the correct shortened title.

I wondered about that, too - the first contestant both omitted "On" and added a second "the," so I knew she was wrong, but then the second also left out the "On," so I was expecting it to be up to the third to get the title right (not that she had to give the full title, just On the Origin of Species).  I've seen/heard it shortened to just Origin of Species often, though, so I guess just about any shortened version is accepted; you just can't insert a word.

• Love 2

Yes that Is where it gets tricky in titles. 

On the origin of species was the original title, but in many reprints and when its mentioned its often just called The origin of species

The recent rejected superhero titles category was funny

The Alphabetizer.  The Notarizer. 

• Love 5

I liked the Atomizer.  My grandmother had an atomizer she'd put her perfume in and was really disappointed when the spray bottles of scent were invented. The bulb was covered in a silk crocheted thing with a tassel hanging down almost to the table top. The bottle itself was Jadeite - such a pretty green.

• Love 4
On 1/7/2019 at 6:33 PM, Quickbeam said:

So excited to see a pagan category! That made my day. 

That's how I felt when I saw a beagle category. Even though it was all Snoopy, I ran it. My beagle is the best dog I've ever had. He's really old, and I'm already dreading when he goes to that farm in the sky.

My audition is exactly one week away, and I've been studying so much I'm making myself sick. I think it's because I'm studying things I'm weak in, and it's shaking my confidence. I do now have the Kings/Queens of England memorized in order and by year, with some interesting tidbits thrown in for good measure. I have been less successful in my goal to learn more about classical music. Despite listening to nothing but classical music for three weeks, I still know very little. Le sigh. I've also had the dream when I'm actually on the show and all the categories are things I don't know.

Anyway, if you know of a book or website that can help with some of the basics for classical music, I'm all ears (pun intended).

• Love 14
19 hours ago, mojoween said:

I only half paid attention to most of the show but FJ...come ON.  I can’t believe only one person got it.  

And I only made it through about ten minutes of the first episode of the series before I was like yep, this terrible show is not for me.

I have never made it past the half hour mark of the first episode, so I was clueless. 

15 hours ago, GenerationX said:

The Wheel of Jeopardy category was fun.  I still watch Wheel on occasion and will watch most anything on GSN.

I had rotator cuff and Joe Cool.  I'm a Peanuts fan and even bought an album of Peanuts music done by jazz and blues artists (the Joe Cool theme recorded by B.B. King is very cool).

Jessica is bright and appealing.  I'm rooting for her.

My exact words were "If I wanted to watch Wheel of Fortune, I would watch it!" Followed by "no peanut butter in my chocolate!) (Totally love peanut butter and chocolate, just referencing an old commercial.)

11 hours ago, mertensia said:

Angel Falls was easy for me- I 've seen it!

FJ stumped me- I've never seen or paid attention to The Sopranos.

I got Joe Cool as well- it's Peanuts!

I saw Devil and said Angel. I vaguely know the falls exist, but the clue gave it to me.

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I liked the Atomizer.  My grandmother had an atomizer she'd put her perfume in and was really disappointed when the spray bottles of scent were invented. The bulb was covered in a silk crocheted thing with a tassel hanging down almost to the table top. The bottle itself was Jadeite - such a pretty green.

I said nebulizer, think they would have accepted that?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I said nebulizer, think they would have accepted that?

Yes.

I saw Devil and said Angel. I vaguely know the falls exist, but the clue gave it to me.

No kidding.

My exact words were "If I wanted to watch Wheel of Fortune, I would watch it!"

That's like saying if I wanted to know Potent Potables I would drink alcohol. Or, if I wanted to know opera, I would listen to it.

I could do those "If I's" all day! I thought the Wheel clues were pretty easy. Just fill in the crossword letters. Don't have to like the show. Although IMO Sajak is so much nicer to his guests than is Trebek.

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

That's like saying if I wanted to know Potent Potables I would drink alcohol. Or, if I wanted to know opera, I would listen to it.

Nope, not for me (and do pretty well on potent potables though I don't drink),  I can pull out answers from all sorts of weird, even unconnected, places, but show a Wheel of Fortune board along with a clue and my brain stalls. It's like rubbing my head and patting my tummy.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

The Statue of Liberty was so obvious I thought surely FJ must have been something else.

I like the new champs hair and glasses and scarf and that her scarf was a perfect color match for her top.

Dave, Alex chastised you for your choices.  

• Love 13

What the hell? Here in Boston, we got a rerun -- Gilbert's second episode where the other contestant guessed Eminem for a clue where the answer was Jack White because she didn't realize there was a picture to look at.

• Love 2

Unexpected reruns are no good!

I got Molly, Amherst, University of Chicago, Princeton, The Mousetrap, FJ-Statue of Liberty. I was a bit surprised by Molly being a TS, but I did get some exposure to pop culture from the ‘30s on from a Bicentennial Assembly we had in my school in 4th grade. I was the stage manager for my unit’s portion of it and knew the script and all of its references thoroughly. Fibber McGee & Molly were a prominent mention in the script. 

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, Jesse said:

What the hell? Here in Boston, we got a rerun

Time warp.

I got Molly (didn't anyone's mother/grandmother teach these children anything?) U of Chicago (Pritzker, please) and El Dorado.

Trebek has made it known not starting at the top of a category is his pet peeve so he spanks Dave for choosing the bottom clue first, implying that's why he lost. IMO, the others kept beating him on the buzzer -- it was obvious he was working his buzzer but kept getting locked out. So he made a few bad guesses. That's no reason for a public scolding. As I posted above, Pat and Vanna are so much nicer to their players than is Trebek.

• Love 5

Dave was irritating.  I can forgive his two instances of ending his answer with "Alex", but not the diamond drawing over his name, the horrific act of board hopping at the bottom of multiple categories, or the pompous "let's give the people what they came here for" DD comment.  

• Love 22

Ugh to Dave, what was up with the starting at the bottom?!  And I feel really old, I knew Molly w/Fibber McGee&..  Best of Luck to teebax(maybe you could signal board members by pulling on your ear or something? :)

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Dave was irritating.  I can forgive his two instances of ending his answer with "Alex", but not the diamond drawing over his name, the horrific act of board hopping at the bottom of multiple categories, or the pompous "let's give the people what they came here for" DD comment.  

To be fair, he gave me exactly what I wanted! 

I like the new champ, but I liked Jessica too. Either of them winning would have been fine by me. 

• Love 10

Did they explain why they showed this episode twice in a row? I saw this ep last night but the final jeopardy from last night didn't have the MMA fighter but a different guy... I'm really confused 

Another FJ I predicted all three/two would get, but this time I was right.

Dave occasionally appending Alex’s name to his responses drove me batty (not to mention that stupid drawing with his name), and I don't often notice the contestants in a negative or positive way, just concentrating on the clues.  And then, “Alex, let’s give the people what they came to see” when he goes for a true DD?  I cackled when he whiffed it.

The 10 Lines About 5 Women twist on 88 Lines About 44 Women got that song stuck in my head.

The WNYC clue was really easy for a DD; too bad it was found so early in the game.

The Mousetrap and Edward Albee TS kind of surprised me, and maybe Amherst and Molly a bit, but no true “hmm, none of them got that?” reactions for the night.

I loved the Words About Words category, which I knew I would as I love vocabulary categories, but I also really liked the School Within a School category.  But lords do I not know 2018 pop culture – thank goodness for the throwback Donkey Kong clue; that may have been the only one I got (I think I didn’t hear one or two of them while getting rid of a phone call).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jesse said:

What the hell? Here in Boston, we got a rerun

Maybe the Boston station thinks we don't really care about Jeopardy.  On Fridays during f**tb*ll season they don't show it.  They don't even put it on their other channel that shows sitcom reruns. Grumble.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, gant77 said:

Did they explain why they showed this episode twice in a row? I saw this ep last night but the final jeopardy from last night didn't have the MMA fighter but a different guy... I'm really confused 

Happened to me, too.  I wonder if you and I are in the same viewing area, and the local broadcaster made a mistake?  I believe what happened is they skipped a day and showed today's episode yesterday, but somehow the FJ segment was the correct one from the day that was skipped.  No one else here seems to have gotten the wrong episode, so I assume it must have been a local issue.

1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

I can forgive his two instances of ending his answer with "Alex",

I thought it was funny as some of his answers made sentences with "Alex" at the end. Like the fortune cookie "in bed."

4 minutes ago, Kerri Okie said:

it must have been a local issue.

I vote local issue. One day my local station whacked out. It kept showing the start of Double Jeopardy, then a string of nine commercials, then Double Jeopardy, then a string of the same nine commercials, then the start of Double Jeopardy ... over and over. By the fifth or sixth time of seeing the same start of DJ, I was answering before the clues were shown.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

The Statue of Liberty was so obvious I thought surely FJ must have been something else.

Yes, I immediately thought of Statue of Liberty, but then thought it simply MUST be something else. I couldn't come up with anything, so I stuck with S of L.

I got Molly -- which made me feel really old, and I'M NOT THAT OLD! -- Amherst, and El Dorado (and the Disney movie helped).

• Love 5

I don't usually root for contestants to miss FJ, but Dave irritated me from the start, so I was happy he missed out. 

My only get tonight was Molly. I immediately thought of the Statue of Liberty for FJ, then immediately thought it was too obvious (like a lot of others here). I stuck with it, since nothing else came to mind.

• Love 4

Sorry to see Jessica go, but I like Anneke. 

TS I got were Amherst, Princeton, El Dorado, The Carters, Mousetrap. FJ was crazy easy, as was the first round DD. The 'Words About Words' category was fun. 

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'm up for that birthday celebration prime-rib-eating contest. Happy early b-day, T-brush! I'm an expert on birthday freebies: Red Robin, Denny's, Noodles, Starbuck's ... the list goes on and on. Hope you get to sample a few.

Thank you! My freebie plan for today includes Denny's, Starbucks, & Victoria's Secret. 

4 hours ago, GenerationX said:

He was really obnoxious. 

4 hours ago, teebax said:

I like the new champ, but I liked Jessica too. Either of them winning would have been fine by me. 

LOL! He did indeed! If he had won, I think I would have had to go on a Jeopardy watching hiatus for as long as he stuck around. Not even Austin, puppy leaver Ryan, or Jennifer Drumsticks made me consider that. 

Good luck!!!! 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, lb60 said:

I don't usually root for contestants to miss FJ, but Dave irritated me from the start, so I was happy he missed out. 

My only get tonight was Molly. I immediately thought of the Statue of Liberty for FJ, then immediately thought it was too obvious (like a lot of others here). I stuck with it, since nothing else came to mind.

I'm glad to know that others found Dave annoying and rooted against him also. 

Another embarrassing FJ miss for me. I thought of the Golden Gate Bridge. I tuned in a bit late and didn't hear the Fibber McGee and Molly question. I never heard the actual show, but my mom would make references to it sometimes. I know there was a running joke about "'T'ain't funny, McGee."

I also knew El Dorado and Edward Albee.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, gant77 said:

10 hours ago, Driad said:

Maybe the Boston station thinks we don't really care about Jeopardy.  On Fridays during f**tb*ll season they don't show it.  They don't even put it on their other channel that shows sitcom reruns. Grumble.

10 hours ago, Kerri Okie said:

Happened to me, too.  I wonder if you and I are in the same viewing area, and the local broadcaster made a mistake?  I believe what happened is they skipped a day and showed today's episode yesterday, but somehow the FJ segment was the correct one from the day that was skipped.  No one else here seems to have gotten the wrong episode, so I assume it must have been a local issue.

On both Jan. 9 and Jan. 10, local stations made errors in the episodes that were broadcast.  The Jeopardy Fan comments indicate that Jan. 9 was due to the Sacramento station, and the Jan. 10 was due to Boston station.

Yes, I wasn't sorry to see Dave out early.  I would have been fine with either Jessica or Anneke winning.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, teebax said:

Aw, you beat me to it Teebax! That's exactly what I said when he whiffed it. Got a good laugh out of my husband.  I very rarely am put off by a contestant, but he was one of the rare ones. But to be fair, given that he's an MMA fighter, "giving people what they came for" is probably a knee jerk promotional phrase for him.

I liked both of the women too, so I was good either way.

I also thought FJ was too darned easy. For me it's not really knowing the show, but that "Fibber McGee  and" ends with "Molly."  A cadence thing, as it were.

There were so many answers I knew- but they would not come out of my mouth. Ticked me off. I did get Amherst just before Alex said it (well, more like I got "Am" out before he started - so I finished before he started.) Or am I mixing up the writer's category with Wednesday's? I don't get to comment until the next day, so I get confused sometimes.

2 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Did anyone else think Dave looked a bit like Christian Slater?

Not by looks, but maybe by attitude.

• Love 2

I didn't like Dave at all.  And he just wasn't smart--in how he played the game, at least.  

But I didn't like Jessica either.  I hated the way she would answer as she was scanning the board for her next clue choice--like she was certain she had gotten it correct and was moving right along.  And then, almost without fail, every time she answered incorrectly, she acted shocked and horrified.  Not sad to see her go.

I really liked the new champ and hope she has a long run. She seemed very bright about a lot of different things.

Side note:  does it bug anyone else when the contestants just click click click endlessly on their buzzer buttons---so much so that everyone can hear it?  I guess I can't say what I would do were I ever a Jeopardy contestant but the aggressive buzzer bashing makes me nuts! LOL!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

El Dorado (and the Disney movie helped).

Two days in a row, my connection to show dogs helped with answers. For a show in Tucson, the tag was something about searching for El Dorado. The logo was a dog wearing a Spanish helmet. Eh.

Happy birthday @Toothbrush! I don't know about Victoria Secret's birthday bonus, but that's not a place I shop. Do tell!

It might be Dave's MMA profession requires a different sort of personalty than we expect on this show.

4 hours ago, PaulaO said:

There is only one Diamond Dave, and that is David Lee Roth.

That and the Midwestern restaurant chain.

Edited by saber5055

I was glad that Alex pointed out Dave's error  foolishness in going to the highest value clues first.

I do like the new champ, Anneke.

My ts's were Molly, nonce, El Dorado,  and The Mousetrap. Instaget FJ but started second guessing myself because it seemed so obvious - like pretty much everyone else here:)

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3

I'm finally caught up!  I skipped to FJ for most of the shows, but my assistant said I HAD to watch last night's just to see Dave.  I almost wish I hadn't bent to her pressure, because he annoyed me to no end.  It didn't hurt my feelings in the slightest that he crashed and burned so spectacularly.

I also pre-guessed Statue of Liberty when the category was revealed.  Imagine my surprise when it was right!  I also got Molly, Amherst, El Dorado, and Mousetrap.

Looking forward to watching in real time again.  :)

• Love 3
7 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I think I knew it because of NewsRadio.  Heh, of course, that show was on during the 90s so maybe that does make me feel old too. 

Me too. That was such a great show. I recently went back and watched the entire run again. It holds up well!

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Driad said:

Yeah, that drives me nuts, too. It's like half the year!

• Love 1