Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Got Aristophanes from an Odd Couple episode (the one where they’re on Password).

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I've only just seen the beginning so far, but doesn't it seem unusual that Alex singled out one player to say he did well on the jeopardy test? Didn't everyone who made it this far do well?

He didn't single out one player, he told the two new players that they passed the J test so were smart enough to give the champ a go.

I did get a kick out of Trebek saying Jonathan would have an advantage in the Collaboration category, then after he picked the first clue, Zorn answered it, then Zorn and Meredith answered all the rest. Jonathan got totally locked out of "his" category. Thanks, Trebek, for the jinx.

Speaking of Zorn, in one place on TheJeopardFan, his name is misspelled as Zork. Ha. Great superhero name, Zork. Or Star Trek alien. Or planet. Also a good name for a Jeopardy champion.

I got St. Ives, tea caddy and Jared Padalecki. Kind of funny none of the three have caught an episode of Supernatural in the 15 years it's been on.

I hate Trebek schooling players for wrong answers. Doing so at FJ is an irritation and brings me back to Would You Rather ... be ridiculed for a guess or be a know nothing and leave it blank. Up to you. No wrong answer and I won't school you if you don't agree with me.

If I were Zorn, I would have bet 5,000 on the Bird DD to put me well into first. Of course, that's one of "my" categories and Zorn ended up winning anyway, so never mind. I just wanted to say it!

Asterisk day all you contest players!

Edited by saber5055
  • Like 8

18 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

He didn't single out one player, he told the two new players that they passed the J test so were smart enough to give the champ a go.

Oops, I must have nodded off there. I only caught the comment to  the one guy.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, opus said:

Got Aristophanes from an Odd Couple episode (the one where they’re on Password).

Lincoln’s favorite condiment?  Mayonnaise 

• Like 4

My brain was just not functioning today (only TS I got was tea caddy), so I was delighted when I was actually able to suss out Stevenson. I didn’t know about his connection with Samoa specifically, but the year of his death and vaguely remembering he had something to do with the South Pacific got me there.

• Like 2

I had zero clue on FJ.  I would have to do some serious studying of Literature (among other subjects) if I were ever on the show.

I likely would've run the games category had they uncovered the clue at the top (I had the DD of Go).  Decades of reading GAMES magazine came in handy on that one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, illdoc said:

Re FJ: Does "Gauguin" sound Scottish to you?????? 

No, but I never got any further than "that painter guy." I would have needed a lot more obvious clue than just Scottish and Samoa. Although also in the "who else could it have been" category is Aristophanes. Whenever they ask about Greek comedies, it's him. Nobody else is really as famous, and The Birds is one of his best known plays. The other one is Lysistrata, which is the one where the women go on a sex strike to get the men to make peace.

I also got Jared Padelecki, although I stopped watching Supernatural years ago, at least partly because I could never remember which one was Sam and which one was Dean. Every once in a while I try again and nope, still can't tell 'em apart. And the episodes are depressingly similar, too.

Edited by Kathira
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got St. Ives, tea caddy and Jared Padalecki. Kind of funny none of the three have caught an episode of Supernatural in the 15 years it's been on.

I've never watched Supernatural, and I have no idea who Jared Padalecki is. I just googled his picture. I still don't know him. 

The only TS I got was [tea] caddy.

I didn't get FJ. I had a photo in mind but couldn't think of the name, so I chose Leakey. Not even the photo I had in mind was correct. I didn't know Robert Louis Stevenson had anything to do with Samoa. I guess I don't know much about him at all.

What is hand fasting? I guess I'll google right now.... Ah. I was taking 'fasting' as abstaining from food, but it means more like fastening, right?

• Like 1

Stevenson was almost an instaget for me.  I've been to a RLS museum in St. Helena California, and also visited Braemar Castle in Scotland, where he had stayed for a time, so that helped.  

I also got St. Ives and tea caddy.  

Edited by zoey1996
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't know Robert Louis Stevenson had anything to do with Samoa.

And I didn't know he was Scottish.

• Like 1

Since we're reminiscing about living near food factories...I remember the smells of baking from the Silvercup Bread factory in Long Island City. It's now a movie studio...go figure.

I thought of tea cozy instead of caddy, but I did know Aristophanes and St. Ives. I wondered if anyone else would remember the classic Odd Couple episode. It's funny that Felix thought "Aristophanes" was a perfect clue for "bird," since Ari also wrote plays called Knights, Clouds, Wasps, Frogs, and Peace!

I knew FJ from a YA book I read a long time ago called Hearts Courageous, about people who achieved much despite obstacles. Stevenson suffered from tuberculosis and went to the South Seas for his health. His books about his travels were published posthumously, but definitely aren't as well known as most of his other writings.

• Like 3

As a Gilbert & Sullivan geek "I know the croaking chorus from the Frogs of Aristophanes" and also that Ari wrote Birds etc.

• Like 2

I had a fantastic game tonight.  And by that, I mean I completely crapped out.  Not a single TS and no clue for FJ.  I'm not sure that's happened to me before.

Looks like another great week!  lol

• Like 6

I have been a devoted Supernatural fan although slacked off in later seasons.  They have a rabid fan base and depending on whose writing the episode, there can be almost as many pop cultural, mythological and historical allusions as an episode of Jeopardy.

Got Arisophanes as a guess and was 98 % sure on RLS since I couldn't make any other Scotland-South Seas-19th century connection.  Wasn't surprised someone said Gauguin but was surprised all three got it wrong.  Still what I can answer easily at home and what might possibly come to mind in a television studio would vary wildly.

• Like 2

RLS’ Dr. Jekyll was based on Edinburgh’s Deacon Brodie. I ate at Deacon Brodie’s Tavern on the Royal Mile, so I remembered he was Scottish.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got St. Ives, tea caddy and Jared Padalecki.

I got the first two & said Jared Pada(mumble). Much like Zorn with Johnny Galecki. 

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't get FJ. I had a photo in mind but couldn't think of the name, so I chose Leakey. Not even the photo I had in mind was correct. I didn't know Robert Louis Stevenson had anything to do with Samoa. I guess I don't know much about him at all.

I guessed Leakey also. No asterisk for us. 

• Like 4

Since the FJ involved someone from Scotland, I, of course, guessed Robert Burns. I was sure I got an asterisk when Alex said "Robert" but was completely deflated when he went on "Louis Stevenson." Sigh.

• Like 6

Weirdly, I read the FJ clue early at TheJeopardyFan.com, and had no idea.  But then when I saw it on the actual show, Stevenson came to me instantly.  I can't imagine what the difference was.

• Like 1

I wonder why FJ category was 19th Century Notables instead of 19th Century Male Authors.  If it had been the latter, I just might have figured it out.

My only ts's were St. Ives and tea caddy.

I like Zorn. 

eta: a poster on JBoard showed nearly 20 clues from past Jeopardy! games that were about RLS dying on Samoa - I don't remember a single one.

Edited by Trey
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Trey said:

I wonder why FJ category was 19th Century Notables instead of 19th Century Male Authors.  If it had been the latter, I just might have figured it out.

I wasn't going for an author at all. I was thinking of anthropologists and the like. I just recalled who was in the photo I had in mind: Albert Schweitzer.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I didn't get FJ, but I certainly knew it wasn't Gauguin!

Or Cook!

• Like 3

I read "The Lighthouse Stevensons" - it was a very interesting book about the men in RLS' family being engineers & lighthouse designers/builders. Almost all the lighthouses around Scotland were built by them. The book was rife with typos, however, which pissed me off royally.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

What is hand fasting?

A Pagan handfasting can be several things, depending on the couple's wishes. It can be a legal marriage. It can be a commitment ceremony for a common law orcivil union. ... As such, Pagans who wish to become legally married will often “get legalled” before or after the wedding.

11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

& said Jared Pada(mumble). Much like Zorn with Johnny Galecki. 

Having seen an episode of Supernatural recently (Netflix), where the characters are in "the real world", I know how to pronounce his name! As to Galecki...I was at the library one day & someone must have called their info desk to ask who stars in the Big Bang Theory, because you could hear the answer desk person  yelling "It's Galecki. G A L E C K I" over and over again!!! I will never forget his name (or how it's spelled).

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Since the FJ involved someone from Scotland, I, of course, guessed Robert Burns.

So did I, even knowing the year was wrong so Burns was wrong too. But Burns is my go-to Scotsman.

5 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Weirdly, I read the FJ clue early at TheJeopardyFan.com, and had no idea.  But then when I saw it on the actual show, Stevenson came to me instantly.  I can't imagine what the difference was.

Easy: You are psychically connected to Mr. Trebek and the Jeopardy studio.

12 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I got the first two & said Jared Pada(mumble). Much like Zorn with Johnny Galecki. 

LOL!

• Like 1

GenerationX reminds me that I did get the DD of Go, too. The only reason I know that is from the series pilot of Criminal Minds, which featured Go as a clue to analyze the unsub. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, illdoc said:

A Pagan handfasting can be several things, depending on the couple's wishes. It can be a legal marriage. It can be a commitment ceremony for a common law orcivil union. ... As such, Pagans who wish to become legally married will often “get legalled” before or after the wedding.

Reminds me of Piper & Leo's wedding on Charmed.

I made a note that a dime novel is not a dime STORE novel, then judges reversed their decision and ruled it incorrect.  So i got nothin'.

• Like 3

I didn’t think I would with an Old West category in the mix, but I ran the first round.  (Well, depending on what the hell the correct answer that wasn’t “dime store novels” actually was -- if it was "dime novel," I did, but as far as I could tell, Alex didn't specify what was right, just that "dime store" was wrong.)

Not so much with the DJ round; damn the Art & Mythology and Chapter categories, in which I did well to bat .500, and I missed at least one clue in the Old East and Green categories, too; I only ran the Grammys and Add a Letter (I wish they’d finished that one; I loved it).

FJ was an instaget, so at least I circled back to a good note.

• Like 1

All I got was FJ.

I don't understand substituting bananas for eggs in recipes. Eggs help cakes and such rise, but I doubt bananas do the same.

• Like 3

I said Dead Zone instead of Dead Sea—oops!

I did horribly on that Add a Letter category. I only got the Count of Monte Cristo (Chateau d’If gave me that one) and Havana. I would have heard it from my BIL if I missed that one—he lived there until he was 3 when he and his family got out on the last ship leaving before Castro closed the borders in 1962 (their fellow passengers included the released Bay of Pigs fighters).

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Like 3

Not a great game for me. The only TS I got were Pleistocene Era & The House of the Seven Gables. I thought FJ was pretty easy to work out. 

Jessica is ok, but I was rooting for Jeff. I loved his story about the grandchildren trips (GFIL did the same, as does one of our posters here @Good Queen Jane maybe? ), and hospice caregivers are angels on Earth IMO.  I will give Jessica a one-time pass on her jumping up & down and clapping when she won, but only because she's local-ish to me. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I read "The Lighthouse Stevensons" - it was a very interesting book about the men in RLS' family being engineers & lighthouse designers/builders. Almost all the lighthouses around Scotland were built by them. The book was rife with typos, however, which pissed me off royally.

As it should.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I made a note that a dime novel is not a dime STORE novel, then judges reversed their decision and ruled it incorrect.  So i got nothin'.

We were pretty ticked that Alex didn't say what the answer should have been. Penny Westerns? (that just popped into my head as I was typing)

10 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I said Dead Zone instead of Dead Sea—oops!

I did horribly on that Add a Letter category. I only got the Count of Monte Cristo (Chateau d’If gave me that one) and Havana. I would have heard it from my BIL if I missed that one—he lived there until he was 3 when he and his family got out on the last ship leaving before Castro closed the borders in 1962 (their fellow passengers included the released Bay of Pigs fighters).

I am always bad at the add a letter/subtract a letter categories. But I was in the neighborhood with Count of Monte Cristo (I said "The Man in the Iron Mask", so I at least got the author right.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

We were pretty ticked that Alex didn't say what the answer should have been. Penny Westerns? (that just popped into my head as I was typing)

There were things called "Penny Dreadfuls"--cheap, lurid horror and crime stories of the Victorian period--but I'm pretty sure that "dime novels" is what they were going for.  Like everyone else, I was puzzled that Alex didn't say what the correct answer actually was.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

But I was in the neighborhood with Count of Monte Cristo (I said "The Man in the Iron Mask", so I at least got the author right.

Me too. 

I agree, dime novel was the correct answer.  I said penny dreadful.

I really liked Zorn but he made too many bad or garbled guesses.

No ts's for me and didn't get FJ.  I just sat there with empty brain, but it was a head smack for me since the answer was so obvious.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

There were things called "Penny Dreadfuls"--cheap, lurid horror and crime stories of the Victorian period--but I'm pretty sure that "dime novels" is what they were going for.  Like everyone else, I was puzzled that Alex didn't say what the correct answer actually was.

Ah, I conflated them. Thanks.

3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I'm pretty sure that "dime novels" is what they were going for. 

Yes, they were dime novels. I didn't notice Trebek not saying the correct answer, I just heard his exposé on when dime stores were invented. The Old West category was right up my alley, the clues/answers were as simple to me as if they were asking what I like to put in my coffee. Okay, dumb example, but one of "my" categories doesn't happen all that often so I gotta brag on something. Dime novels also connects to our discussion of favorite old western tv shows we had in another thread. Just last week a writer went on a bounty hunt with Josh Randall! Watch for his dime novel coming to a Border's near you.

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 7:31 PM, illdoc said:

Re FJ: Does "Gauguin" sound Scottish to you?????? 

That FJ seemed so easy to me that I cannot even begin to conceive of someone not knowing.  Of course, Treasure Island is one of my very favorite books, though.

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 8:20 PM, saber5055 said:

I've never seen the show once, but still came up with "Pada-something or other".  I've read a bunch about it online, I guess.

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:39 PM, Kathira said:

Although also in the "who else could it have been" category is Aristophanes. Whenever they ask about Greek comedies, it's him. Nobody else is really as famous, and The Birds is one of his best known plays. The other one is Lysistrata, which is the one where the women go on a sex strike to get the men to make peace.

For some reason, I can never remember him.  I always get the Greek dramatists, but comedy is total blank for me.

22 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Watch for his dime novel coming to a Border's near you.

If only.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, peeayebee said:

All I got was FJ.

I don't understand substituting bananas for eggs in recipes. Eggs help cakes and such rise, but I doubt bananas do the same.

Well it depends on the purpose of the egg in the recipe - more often, the egg is used as a binding/emulsifying agent, and baking soda/powder do the heavy lifting in terms of helping the baked goods 'rise'. In this case, flax seeds + water, bananas, applesauce, avocado are all decent substitutes.

• Like 6

Thanks to FJ’s like todays, I’ll hopefully never have an 0/5 week.

• Like 3

I only half paid attention to most of the show but FJ...come ON.  I can’t believe only one person got it.  

And I only made it through about ten minutes of the first episode of the series before I was like yep, this terrible show is not for me.

Today's FJ is one that's easier for us watching, I'd guess, because there's been a bunch of press around the 20th anniversary in the past week. (I would have gotten it anyway, I think, but who's to say?)

Even Alex admitted that today's FJ was easy if you know it but hard otherwise. It was an instaget for me, although I was never a huge fan of the show. I figured it was a bad sign when the first clue was a TS (Kool-aid, duh) but it was a good game overall. Maybe I'm old and broken, but "rotator cuff" seemed obvious. And I love horseradish with roast beef. Yum.

• Like 4

Biggest takeaway from today's episode: Nebraska has a state drink! WTH!

TSs I made note of: Horseradish, because every prime rib buffet has horseradish as a side. That, plus I love horseradish and put  it on a variety of eats.

Joe Cool. I named a dog Joe Cool. He won quite a bit at shows.

Rotator cuff. Because I have shoulders.

Today I have the opportunity to make fun of everyone who didn't instantly know FJ, including the players, but I'm not that sort. IEIYKI. And I knew it without ever having seen a single episode (antenna tv, three channels, remember?). But I created an identity for a kennel that named a litter after all the Soprano characters so looked at that logo a lot. Finally, my life paid off.

The composer category though, total tank. Proof that everything evens out in the end!

• Like 5

FJ was an instaget for me for an odd reason.  I am watching Parks and Recreation for the first time on Hulu since I am a massive Good Place fan and they share creators.  The Sopranos logo with the R as a gun was a plot point on an episode I watched yesterday.  6 degrees of Jeopardy!

Jessica played well but her "I'm the champion" routine at the beginning got me to root against her.  But if it is a one off, I can be persuaded to root for her again (although thinking Snoopy was a WWII flying ace almost doomed her in my books).

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

FJ was an instaget for me for an odd reason.  I am watching Parks and Recreation for the first time on Hulu since I am a massive Good Place fan and they share creators.  The Sopranos logo with the R as a gun was a plot point on an episode I watched yesterday.  6 degrees of Jeopardy!

Jessica played well but her "I'm the champion" routine at the beginning got me to root against her.  But if it is a one off, I can be persuaded to root for her again (although thinking Snoopy was a WWII flying ace almost doomed her in my books).

I never saw Parks and Recreation, but I did know FJ. Weirdly, I always thought the original title of The SopranosFamily Man, was better. I liked the double meaning of "Family." I can't believe it's been twenty years since the show premiered!

I don't fault Jessica for not knowing which war Snoopy "fought" in, because Charles Schultz was a World War II veteran. But I was a bit saddened that no one knew Joe Cool, especially since there's a line of Tshirts with a knockoff of him.

• Like 1