Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I read "The Lighthouse Stevensons" - it was a very interesting book about the men in RLS' family being engineers & lighthouse designers/builders. Almost all the lighthouses around Scotland were built by them. The book was rife with typos, however, which pissed me off royally.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

What is hand fasting?

A Pagan handfasting can be several things, depending on the couple's wishes. It can be a legal marriage. It can be a commitment ceremony for a common law orcivil union. ... As such, Pagans who wish to become legally married will often “get legalled” before or after the wedding.

11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

& said Jared Pada(mumble). Much like Zorn with Johnny Galecki. 

Having seen an episode of Supernatural recently (Netflix), where the characters are in "the real world", I know how to pronounce his name! As to Galecki...I was at the library one day & someone must have called their info desk to ask who stars in the Big Bang Theory, because you could hear the answer desk person  yelling "It's Galecki. G A L E C K I" over and over again!!! I will never forget his name (or how it's spelled).

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Since the FJ involved someone from Scotland, I, of course, guessed Robert Burns.

So did I, even knowing the year was wrong so Burns was wrong too. But Burns is my go-to Scotsman.

5 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Weirdly, I read the FJ clue early at TheJeopardyFan.com, and had no idea.  But then when I saw it on the actual show, Stevenson came to me instantly.  I can't imagine what the difference was.

Easy: You are psychically connected to Mr. Trebek and the Jeopardy studio.

12 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I got the first two & said Jared Pada(mumble). Much like Zorn with Johnny Galecki. 

LOL!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

A Pagan handfasting can be several things, depending on the couple's wishes. It can be a legal marriage. It can be a commitment ceremony for a common law orcivil union. ... As such, Pagans who wish to become legally married will often “get legalled” before or after the wedding.

Reminds me of Piper & Leo's wedding on Charmed.

I didn’t think I would with an Old West category in the mix, but I ran the first round.  (Well, depending on what the hell the correct answer that wasn’t “dime store novels” actually was -- if it was "dime novel," I did, but as far as I could tell, Alex didn't specify what was right, just that "dime store" was wrong.)

Not so much with the DJ round; damn the Art & Mythology and Chapter categories, in which I did well to bat .500, and I missed at least one clue in the Old East and Green categories, too; I only ran the Grammys and Add a Letter (I wish they’d finished that one; I loved it).

FJ was an instaget, so at least I circled back to a good note.

• Love 1

I said Dead Zone instead of Dead Sea—oops!

I did horribly on that Add a Letter category. I only got the Count of Monte Cristo (Chateau d’If gave me that one) and Havana. I would have heard it from my BIL if I missed that one—he lived there until he was 3 when he and his family got out on the last ship leaving before Castro closed the borders in 1962 (their fellow passengers included the released Bay of Pigs fighters).

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 3

Not a great game for me. The only TS I got were Pleistocene Era & The House of the Seven Gables. I thought FJ was pretty easy to work out. 

Jessica is ok, but I was rooting for Jeff. I loved his story about the grandchildren trips (GFIL did the same, as does one of our posters here @Good Queen Jane maybe? ), and hospice caregivers are angels on Earth IMO.  I will give Jessica a one-time pass on her jumping up & down and clapping when she won, but only because she's local-ish to me. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I read "The Lighthouse Stevensons" - it was a very interesting book about the men in RLS' family being engineers & lighthouse designers/builders. Almost all the lighthouses around Scotland were built by them. The book was rife with typos, however, which pissed me off royally.

As it should.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I made a note that a dime novel is not a dime STORE novel, then judges reversed their decision and ruled it incorrect.  So i got nothin'.

We were pretty ticked that Alex didn't say what the answer should have been. Penny Westerns? (that just popped into my head as I was typing)

10 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I said Dead Zone instead of Dead Sea—oops!

I did horribly on that Add a Letter category. I only got the Count of Monte Cristo (Chateau d’If gave me that one) and Havana. I would have heard it from my BIL if I missed that one—he lived there until he was 3 when he and his family got out on the last ship leaving before Castro closed the borders in 1962 (their fellow passengers included the released Bay of Pigs fighters).

I am always bad at the add a letter/subtract a letter categories. But I was in the neighborhood with Count of Monte Cristo (I said "The Man in the Iron Mask", so I at least got the author right.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

We were pretty ticked that Alex didn't say what the answer should have been. Penny Westerns? (that just popped into my head as I was typing)

There were things called "Penny Dreadfuls"--cheap, lurid horror and crime stories of the Victorian period--but I'm pretty sure that "dime novels" is what they were going for.  Like everyone else, I was puzzled that Alex didn't say what the correct answer actually was.

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

But I was in the neighborhood with Count of Monte Cristo (I said "The Man in the Iron Mask", so I at least got the author right.

Me too. 

I agree, dime novel was the correct answer.  I said penny dreadful.

I really liked Zorn but he made too many bad or garbled guesses.

No ts's for me and didn't get FJ.  I just sat there with empty brain, but it was a head smack for me since the answer was so obvious.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

There were things called "Penny Dreadfuls"--cheap, lurid horror and crime stories of the Victorian period--but I'm pretty sure that "dime novels" is what they were going for.  Like everyone else, I was puzzled that Alex didn't say what the correct answer actually was.

Ah, I conflated them. Thanks.

3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I'm pretty sure that "dime novels" is what they were going for. 

Yes, they were dime novels. I didn't notice Trebek not saying the correct answer, I just heard his exposé on when dime stores were invented. The Old West category was right up my alley, the clues/answers were as simple to me as if they were asking what I like to put in my coffee. Okay, dumb example, but one of "my" categories doesn't happen all that often so I gotta brag on something. Dime novels also connects to our discussion of favorite old western tv shows we had in another thread. Just last week a writer went on a bounty hunt with Josh Randall! Watch for his dime novel coming to a Border's near you.

• Love 2
On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 7:31 PM, illdoc said:

Re FJ: Does "Gauguin" sound Scottish to you?????? 

That FJ seemed so easy to me that I cannot even begin to conceive of someone not knowing.  Of course, Treasure Island is one of my very favorite books, though.

• Love 1
On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 8:20 PM, saber5055 said:

I got St. Ives, tea caddy and Jared Padalecki. Kind of funny none of the three have caught an episode of Supernatural in the 15 years it's been on.

I've never seen the show once, but still came up with "Pada-something or other".  I've read a bunch about it online, I guess.

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 10:39 PM, Kathira said:

Although also in the "who else could it have been" category is Aristophanes. Whenever they ask about Greek comedies, it's him. Nobody else is really as famous, and The Birds is one of his best known plays. The other one is Lysistrata, which is the one where the women go on a sex strike to get the men to make peace.

For some reason, I can never remember him.  I always get the Greek dramatists, but comedy is total blank for me.

22 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Watch for his dime novel coming to a Border's near you.

If only.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, peeayebee said:

All I got was FJ.

I don't understand substituting bananas for eggs in recipes. Eggs help cakes and such rise, but I doubt bananas do the same.

Well it depends on the purpose of the egg in the recipe - more often, the egg is used as a binding/emulsifying agent, and baking soda/powder do the heavy lifting in terms of helping the baked goods 'rise'. In this case, flax seeds + water, bananas, applesauce, avocado are all decent substitutes.

• Love 6

I only half paid attention to most of the show but FJ...come ON.  I can’t believe only one person got it.  

And I only made it through about ten minutes of the first episode of the series before I was like yep, this terrible show is not for me.

Today's FJ is one that's easier for us watching, I'd guess, because there's been a bunch of press around the 20th anniversary in the past week. (I would have gotten it anyway, I think, but who's to say?)

Even Alex admitted that today's FJ was easy if you know it but hard otherwise. It was an instaget for me, although I was never a huge fan of the show. I figured it was a bad sign when the first clue was a TS (Kool-aid, duh) but it was a good game overall. Maybe I'm old and broken, but "rotator cuff" seemed obvious. And I love horseradish with roast beef. Yum.

• Love 4

Biggest takeaway from today's episode: Nebraska has a state drink! WTH!

TSs I made note of: Horseradish, because every prime rib buffet has horseradish as a side. That, plus I love horseradish and put  it on a variety of eats.

Joe Cool. I named a dog Joe Cool. He won quite a bit at shows.

Rotator cuff. Because I have shoulders.

Today I have the opportunity to make fun of everyone who didn't instantly know FJ, including the players, but I'm not that sort. IEIYKI. And I knew it without ever having seen a single episode (antenna tv, three channels, remember?). But I created an identity for a kennel that named a litter after all the Soprano characters so looked at that logo a lot. Finally, my life paid off.

The composer category though, total tank. Proof that everything evens out in the end!

• Love 5

FJ was an instaget for me for an odd reason.  I am watching Parks and Recreation for the first time on Hulu since I am a massive Good Place fan and they share creators.  The Sopranos logo with the R as a gun was a plot point on an episode I watched yesterday.  6 degrees of Jeopardy!

Jessica played well but her "I'm the champion" routine at the beginning got me to root against her.  But if it is a one off, I can be persuaded to root for her again (although thinking Snoopy was a WWII flying ace almost doomed her in my books).

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

FJ was an instaget for me for an odd reason.  I am watching Parks and Recreation for the first time on Hulu since I am a massive Good Place fan and they share creators.  The Sopranos logo with the R as a gun was a plot point on an episode I watched yesterday.  6 degrees of Jeopardy!

Jessica played well but her "I'm the champion" routine at the beginning got me to root against her.  But if it is a one off, I can be persuaded to root for her again (although thinking Snoopy was a WWII flying ace almost doomed her in my books).

I never saw Parks and Recreation, but I did know FJ. Weirdly, I always thought the original title of The SopranosFamily Man, was better. I liked the double meaning of "Family." I can't believe it's been twenty years since the show premiered!

I don't fault Jessica for not knowing which war Snoopy "fought" in, because Charles Schultz was a World War II veteran. But I was a bit saddened that no one knew Joe Cool, especially since there's a line of Tshirts with a knockoff of him.

• Love 1

I got Kool-Aid, horseradish, Joe Cool, Addams, and rotator cuff.

Instead of Sister Carrie, I chose An American Tragedy. I couldn't remember which came first.

FJ was easy for me. I always thought that was a clever logo, having the gun for the letter R. I never knew the background.

• Love 3

I was excited for the Food & Drink category, and then promptly joined the contestants in being stumped by the Kool-Aid clue (I knew the rest, though).  I also liked the Wheel of Jeopardy category, even though it was quite silly.

The sobriquet and rotator TS surprised me, especially the latter.  I thought FJ would be an instaget for all three, so I was quite surprised to see two miss it.  I’ve never seen the show, but it was hard to avoid hearing about it.  So as soon as I started thinking of opera terms and shows that would feature a gun, it was just a matter of seconds before it came to me.  Speaking of cultural osmosis, I apparently picked up a lot of info about Snoopy that way.

• Love 4

Last night, all I got was FJ.  Considering my goose egg on Monday, I was happy with that.

Tonight, I got horseradish, Joe Cool, and rotator.  My first guess for FJ was Cop Rock. lol  I have no idea where that came from. I eventually worked my way to the right answer.  

• Love 3

I got Horseradish, Sister Carrie, Joe Cool, the moon, Addams, and FJ-The Sopranos, although that did take a few seconds of me working through the opera connection to get there (I have never seen the show so am unfamiliar with the logo). I was also bummed when no one got Joe Cool—he’s an icon! Then again, my stuffed Snoopy was a beloved toy.

• Love 4

Horseradish amuses me because when we were in Munich this year at a Beer Garden, I ordered a sampler platter of bread, cheese, and sausage. It came with a shaved white substance in the middle of the platter I assumed was some kind of cabbage slaw. I took a fork full of it only to realize it was freshly shredded horseradish. I couldn't spit it out of my mouth fast enough. The pain!

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I took a fork full of it only to realize it was freshly shredded horseradish. I couldn't spit it out of my mouth fast enough. The pain!

Followed by a chaser of guacamole ... that's really wasabi!

• Love 6

The Wheel of Jeopardy category was fun.  I still watch Wheel on occasion and will watch most anything on GSN.

I had rotator cuff and Joe Cool.  I'm a Peanuts fan and even bought an album of Peanuts music done by jazz and blues artists (the Joe Cool theme recorded by B.B. King is very cool).

Jessica is bright and appealing.  I'm rooting for her.

• Love 4

The composer category, now that would be a dream come true if I were ever a contestant. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone run a category faster than Jessica did with the Wheel of Jeopardy one. She was lightning quick! 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I got Horseradish, Sister Carrie, Joe Cool, the moon, Addams, and FJ-The Sopranos, although that did take a few seconds of me working through the opera connection to get there (I have never seen the show so am unfamiliar with the logo). I was also bummed when no one got Joe Cool—he’s an icon! Then again, my stuffed Snoopy was a beloved toy.

Every time the Met Life rep came by, I took a little plush Snoopy he'd give out. I have a bunch of them. Snoopy is awesome! :) 

• Love 5

I ran the first round except for The Origin of Species (I added a 'the' like Jessica did) & moon. The only TS I got in the 2nd round was rotator cuff, & FJ took a few seconds but I got it. Dr. Toothbrush got it about 1/2 a second after the clue flashed on the screen.

I almost ate the horseradish on my plate in Austria until someone else at my table did so first. I love horse radish sauce & have been debating whether to get prime rib or a ribeye for my birthday dinner this weekend, & think his clue pushed me in the direction of prime rib. I took that & the clue about birthday freebies the other day as a shout-out to me during my birthday week ;-)

• Love 6
10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Horseradish amuses me because when we were in Munich this year at a Beer Garden, I ordered a sampler platter of bread, cheese, and sausage. It came with a shaved white substance in the middle of the platter I assumed was some kind of cabbage slaw. I took a fork full of it only to realize it was freshly shredded horseradish. I couldn't spit it out of my mouth fast enough. The pain!

But I bet you provided a lot of amusement for the locals.

7 hours ago, Abstract said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone run a category faster than Jessica did with the Wheel of Jeopardy one. She was lightning quick! 

I know! That was annoying because she wasn't giving me a chance to figure them out.

7 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I ran the first round except for The Origin of Species (I added a 'the' like Jessica did)

Me too. I was thinking, "Oh, this is where people screw up, because it's The Origin of THE Species!" Hopefully next time I'll get this right.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Biggest takeaway from today's episode: Nebraska has a state drink! WTH!

I lived in Nebraska, so I knew Kool-Aid was the state drink.  Additional trivia: Icees were invented in Coffeyville, Kansas.

11 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I don't fault Jessica for not knowing which war Snoopy "fought" in, because Charles Schultz was a World War II veteran. But I was a bit saddened that no one knew Joe Cool, especially since there's a line of Tshirts with a knockoff of him.

I knew the WWI answer because of the Snoopy and the Red Baron song; it gets play during the holiday season.

We have Colonial Joe Cool on DoG (Duke of Gloucester) Street (Williamsburg, VA) t-shirts and sweatshirts!  A local store had them, so we bought several.  This was shortly before Schultz died.  Still have them, still wear them!  Google Colonial Joe Cool to see an image.  Can't paste it here; it's too big.

10 hours ago, chessiegal said:

When I was a little girl, maybe 3, we were having roast beef with mashed potatoes.  I loved mashed potatoes, and insisted on having some of Dad's.  I didn't know that it was horseradish on Dad's plate!  Yep, painful!

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 3

I would really love some prime rib (medium rare) with horseradish sauce right now.

A good game for me last night with lots of ts's: horseradish, Sister Carrie, Joe Cool, the moon, sobriquet and rotator cuff.  I ran the Snoopy category since he is my favourite comic strip character (Opus is a close second). Also, an instaget FJ although I never watched the show.

I liked the lady in the middle the best but they were all good contestants.

• Love 4

Finally got caught up from the Christmas break when I was gone. 

The sopranos is working on a new prequel series. 

I never knew that was why they put the gun in the title of The Sopranos.  Not sure that was really needed.  Would take like 5 seconds of the show to figure out its not about opera. 

have had a couple of recent 4 games champs that couldn't win the fifth, will be interesting to see if they make the tournament of champions

• Love 2

Zoey1996 - I think Evan got Rosebud since I was amused it was an answer given Siobhan's story about sledding down the Great Wall.  

Also thanks for the DoG street mention for my Williamsburg nostalgia.  I am now salivating for a Cheese Shop sandwich with extra house dressing on the side.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Trey said:

I would really love some prime rib (medium rare) with horseradish sauce right now.

My plan for Sunday! And I made horesradish sauce when Dr. Toothbrush grilled filets last Sunday, so I am all set for the leftovers. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Toothbrush said:
3 hours ago, Trey said:

My plan for Sunday! And I made horesradish sauce when Dr. Toothbrush grilled filets last Sunday, so I am all set for the leftovers. 

I'm up for that birthday celebration prime-rib-eating contest. Happy early b-day, T-brush! I'm an expert on birthday freebies: Red Robin, Denny's, Noodles, Starbuck's ... the list goes on and on. Hope you get to sample a few.

3 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I lived in Nebraska, so I knew Kool-Aid was the state drink.  Additional trivia: Icees were invented in Coffeyville, Kansas.

Thanks for this, Zoey. Now I'm set for what made Coffeyville a "cool" place to stop for refreshments. I've been to and through Nebraska many times and never had any Kool-Aid. There's something so wrong about that.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

I only half paid attention to most of the show but FJ...come ON.  I can’t believe only one person got it.  

And I only made it through about ten minutes of the first episode of the series before I was like yep, this terrible show is not for me.

I have never seen an episode of the Sopranos, so I had no clue.  I was busy mentally going through opera-related words which could've been series' titles, but didn't get there.

• Love 2