Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

Since there was only one Fonda who had kids named Jane and Peter, I can understand not requiring a BMS. 

Out of curiosity, is there another Fonda besides Jane, Peter and Henry? Because I can't think of one doesn't mean there is not.

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I thought they were asking for from what town was The Stone stolen, so I was surprised when Trebek said Stone of Scone. And yes, it was a FJ answer this season. One (of the few) I've gotten correct!

If I remember correctly, Alex said "Scone, The Stone of Scone."  (As in "Bond, James Bond.")

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Out of curiosity, is there another Fonda besides Jane, Peter and Henry? Because I can't think of one doesn't mean there is not.

Peter has two kids who use Fonda; Bridget who is famous and Justin who is not.

• Love 3

I assume I was not alone in saying “Aaron Burr” as if I had a mouth full of peanut butter.

The Woodstock, Jimi Hendrix, and Warner Bros. clues belonged in the first round.

A Harry Potter category would be one of my nightmares if I went on the show; it’s something in which I have no interest, but two of my three closest friends are fanatics, so they’d be throwing things at their screens (or directly at me, if they were in the audience) as I stared blankly at all the Quidditch clues that didn’t include another way of getting to the answer.

I cannot believe I knew ALF.  I never watched that show, yet somehow that’s still in my brain somewhere; all while I have to think hard to recall what I had for lunch the previous day.  Maybe I read/heard somewhere at the time about him eating cats and committed him to permanent memory as my mortal enemy.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

A Harry Potter category would be one of my nightmares if I went on the show; it’s something in which I have no interest, but two of my three closest friends are fanatics, so they’d be throwing things at their screens (or directly at me, if they were in the audience) as I stared blankly at all the Quidditch clues that didn’t include another way of getting to the answer. 

I'm working my way through the films just because of how frequently they're asked about. I'm not a fan but want to at least have the major characters in my memory bank. 

Jonathan is sneaky good. I find myself surprised by his total at the end of the games. Maybe I'm judging not paying that much attention. 

• Love 1

I drank a bottle of wine tonight!

Anywho, I kinda got FJ. I jotted down Berlin, but didn't know what to add after that.

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Rhonda. You know, Rhonda Fonda. And her daughter, Wanda.

• Love 3

I said Berlin Air Drop since they were dropping things, not lifting them. So I'm glad that was ruled correct. But again Trebek was with the "You're too young" thing. Geesh. Most people have had WWII history studies and have at least heard of the Berlin Wall.

1 minute ago, peeayebee said:

Smart ass. Ha ha!

Now we have a three-day champ. I hope you posters who were complaining about all the One And Dones like him.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I got FJ! Even though I thought it had more official name - I thought my guess was just describing what it was. 

My friends at the Berlin Airlift Historic Foundation would have disowned me if I got it wrong.

JM_2011_03_11_BAHF_N500EJ_HDR_001-L.jpg

6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I said Berlin Air Drop since they were dropping things, not lifting them. So I'm glad that was ruled correct.

About the only things being dropped were the candy bars that Halvorsen and later other pilots dropped to children.  Most all of the aircraft landed in Berlin and were unloaded at the airfield.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

When I bought my first Honda Civic, my mom wanted me to name it Fenry. Fenry Honda.

Bridget was in that god-awful Dwight Yoakam movie, "South of Heaven, West of Hell" - she nearly gets raped by Pee-wee Herman.  Why Yoakam thought that was a story worth telling is beyond me. And though Warren Zevon had a tiny part as Billy Bob Thornton's traveling companion, it was hardly worth sitting through the entire movie.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When I bought my first Honda Civic, my mom wanted me to name it Fenry. Fenry Honda.

People who think they are hilarious tell me that I should buy a Honda and then put my own "R" sticker on it.

• Love 5

I kicked butt in Thursday's first round; the only question I missed was chipmunk. In DJ the TS I got were Hills Brothers & San Antonio. I got FJ correct (like @saber5055 I said Berlin airdrop), and not to make light of the atrocities of war, but little parachuted candy bars falling from the sky is my idea of chocolate heaven. 

I'm warming up to Jonathan. I don't like that he's a pointer or that he DD hunts, but he made me laugh along with him when he kept trying to call the Acronyms category Anachronisms. And I liked his Chris Noth as Det. Mike Logan plaid tie.

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I assume I was not alone in saying “Aaron Burr” as if I had a mouth full of peanut butter.

You assume correctly. 

3 hours ago, teebax said:

Jonathan is sneaky good. I find myself surprised by his total at the end of the games. Maybe I'm judging not paying that much attention. 

This! When he had $8,200 at the end of the first round, I was like "how did that happen"? He dominates without seeming to dominate. 

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Step away from the wine..lol

• Love 6
On 1/3/2019 at 12:02 AM, Grundoon59 said:

I am probably at a lonely table for one but I was bummed they didn't finish the Plantagenet category.  Years of British history also occupies space in my brain.  

Me too!! Most history categories, but especially British and military history in general, are at the top of my list of dream Jeopardy categories. 

Just got caught up. Since a bowl game ran long on Tuesday, I only saw part of the second round and FJ. All told, I got Fountain of Youth (was just in St. Augustine on Thanksgiving weekend), queen bee, FJ-George HW Bush (wrong!), then Diamonds, Art Institute, Thomas a Beckett, Scoon, FJ-Milne, and Deal or No Deal, window, San Antonio, FJ-Berlin Airlift.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Anywho, I kinda got FJ. I jotted down Berlin, but didn't know what to add after that.

Isn't there a Bridget Fonda who was popular for a little while in the 90s?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Rhonda. You know, Rhonda Fonda. And her daughter

And, of course, Kit Fonda.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I know it's awful, but all I could think about when I saw the red-haired guy on the end was Eric Smith, the red-haired kid who killed his four year old neighbor back in the early 90's.  Sorry, Jeopardy guy, I'm sure you're very nice (as was your jacket), I just couldn't get that out of my head.

Anyway, I'm 40 and ashamed to say I had never heard of the Berlin air drop.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Hey, I love Potter, but the only question I got right was a total guess. Quidditch, in the book and in the movies, wasn't anything I paid a lot of attention to (just like I don't pay much attention to sports in the real world.)

I'm so pissed I missed Berlin Air Lift. In my defense, I conflated it with the Berlin Wall - so the dates didn't mean anything to me (I lived in Germany during the Berlin Wall Crisis - and have a nightmare from that time I still remember - I was something like 4 years old).

That being said, the air lift (Operation Vittles - hee, I didn't know that until I looked it up) was an amazing feat, and well worth reading about: https://www.history.com/topics/cold-war/berlin-airlift

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

That being said, the air lift (Operation Vittles - hee, I didn't know that until I looked it up) was an amazing feat, and well worth reading about: https://www.history.com/topics/cold-war/berlin-airlift

FJ was an instaget for me but I just read that article too, to get all the details. It was an interesting article.

Window was my only ts.

I like the current champ, hope he continues to do well.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

the red-haired guy on the end

I liked that he called himself a ginger, being a ginger myself.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Quidditch, in the book and in the movies, wasn't anything I paid a lot of attention to

That was such a big part of the books, Harry being chosen as Seeker as a first-year student, and Fred and George Weasley playing as well (as Beaters).

Reading here, I got all the TSs. The Hills Brothers coffee TS was a no-brainer since I have two cans of Hills staring at me right now. Yes, cans CAN stare.

3 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

Anyway, I'm 40 and ashamed to say I had never heard of the Berlin air drop.

How about the Berlin Air Lift? (Sorry, could not resist.)

3 hours ago, teebax said:

Isn't there a Bridget Fonda who was popular for a little while in the 90s?

Reading all the posts here will help you with your Jeopardy studies.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Step away from the wine..lol

Honestly, no wine tonight for me.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Hey, I love Potter, but the only question I got right was a total guess. Quidditch, in the book and in the movies, wasn't anything I paid a lot of attention to (just like I don't pay much attention to sports in the real world.)

Ditto. I shouldn't have been surprised not to get most of the clues because I just wasn't that interested in the game itself.

I'm so pissed I missed Berlin Air Lift. In my defense, I conflated it with the Berlin Wall - so the dates didn't mean anything to me (I lived in Germany during the Berlin Wall Crisis - and have a nightmare from that time I still remember - I was something like 4 years old).

I know it makes no sense, but I was thrown off by thinking that the Berlin Air Lift took place during WWII. 

12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Bridget was in that god-awful Dwight Yoakam movie, "South of Heaven, West of Hell" - she nearly gets raped by Pee-wee Herman.  Why Yoakam thought that was a story worth telling is beyond me. And though Warren Zevon had a tiny part as Billy Bob Thornton's traveling companion, it was hardly worth sitting through the entire movie.

I never heard of that. Sounds like a real winner.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Quidditch, in the book and in the movies, wasn't anything I paid a lot of attention to

That was such a big part of the books, Harry being chosen as Seeker as a first-year student, and Fred and George Weasley playing as well (as Beaters).

Well, yes, I paid attention to what the game meant to the characters and the seeker position, given it's importance to Harry. The one question I did manage to answer was the one about the seeker - but I guessed because the colors of the jerseys (or whatever it was) meant nothing to me. I didn't pay any attention in the books or movies to the rules or specific beats of the game (more to the spells being cast on the side, or the announcers, etc.).

To be fair to the Potterverse (which I love) I also skim over battle scenes in all genres of books too (and sometimes zone out during them in the movies if they go too long or are just repetitive without emotional beats for the characters.

(just in a chatty mood, not being intense or anything)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Ditto. I shouldn't have been surprised not to get most of the clues because I just wasn't that interested in the game itself.

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, yes, I paid attention to what the game meant to the characters and the seeker position, given it's importance to Harry. The one question I did manage to answer was the one about the seeker - but I guessed because the colors of the jerseys (or whatever it was) meant nothing to me. I didn't pay any attention in the books or movies to the rules or specific beats of the game (more to the spells being cast on the side, or the announcers, etc.).

The other problem with the category was that it wasn't about actual Quidditch, as in the books, but "Muggle Quidditch"--how to play the game if you don't have a broomstick and magic  There are actually people who have made a Muggle version, and the rules as I followed the clues were clearly not based on the books, especially the seeker clue (in the books, catching the snitch is 150 points--the clue mentioned 30 points).  I think Jonathan figured that out after the second clue, and then was disgusted by the category.  He didn't seem thrilled to be going back to it, and yet he seems like a guy who is pretty good at pop culture and I feel like he would have read the books or seen the movies and would know how the books work, but there was a fair amount of guess work required for these clues, as shown when the middle contestant missed with quaffle (actual name of scoring ball in the books).

• Love 3

Yikes, I’m even worse with Shakespeare clues than I thought!  That was embarrassing; I think I only got two.

Take Your Daughter to Work Day is now Take Your Kids to the Office Day?  Way to completely lose sight of the point!

The tea TS was quite a surprise, and I’m a little surprised no one came up with 200 meters after the incorrect guess of 100.  The Laurence Olivier, complete with video, TS was just depressing.  Before their time, I suppose.

The Hanukkah clue was Toddler Tournament-worthy, and the patience and run-on clues belonged in the first round.

I liked the FJ clue -- several things in there to help you reason your way to the answer if, like me, you don't happen to know the underlying fact.  So I was surprised only one came up with it.

Edited by Bastet
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Thanks to Arsenic and Old Lace, I knew FJ immediately.

How's that?

I got FJ because of Roosevelt in the clue. Then I was second-guessing myself when Alex said this FJ wasn't so easy.

I also got [take your kids] to work, Laurence Olivier, and Jessye Norman.

I couldn't roll my eyes hard enuf when Alex said Jonathan's betting strategy was to "Bet to beat them by a buck if they double." Wow. Genius.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I couldn't roll my eyes hard enuf when Alex said Jonathan's betting strategy was to "Bet to beat them by a buck if they double." Wow. Genius.

I was surprised they left Alex's comment in since he was proven so spectacularly wrong.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 1

I was really surprised that only the champ got FJ-between the Spanish name and “Roosevelt,” I thought it was obvious. Then again, I have seen a few documentaries on the making of the Canal.

I did get 200 meters, tea, Olivier, and Jessye Norman, as well.

• Love 2

Thursday night I got Deal or No Deal and San Antonio.  I knew exactly what they were talking about for FJ, but couldn't come up with a coherent answer that would have been ruled correct.

14 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

PBS had a great documentary about the Candy Bomber, Gail "Hal" Halvorsen, who is still alive and still dropping candy, which is how I knew the answer.

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir did a great segment on him during their Christmas concert a few years back. It was narrated by Tom Brokaw and "Hal" himself took part.

Christmas from Heaven

Tonight I only got Olivier (Really, none of them knew this?  Really?)

No clue for FJ.  Not a great week for me.

• Love 1

I’m an Olympics nerd and know that Bolt ran the 100m in under 10 seconds.  Double that time and the answer was obvious.  One of the wacky characters in Arsenic and Old Lace believes he is Teddy Roosevelt and is digging the Panama Canal in the basement.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

TEA!!! TEA!!! Heh, sorry but I was basically shouting that at my tv. Aw, and no one knew Laurence Olivier. 

Thanks to Arsenic and Old Lace, I knew FJ immediately.

Yes, I was surprised that tea was a TS. I thought it was the most logical answer once coffee was proven wrong. Not being able to identify Olivier was sad, but I guess inevitable. His name was once synonymous with Great British Actors, but a lot of today's viewers are used to a more naturalistic style of acting.

11 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I had FJ due to the Spanish name, Roosevelt, and the use of the term "waterway".  That ruled out rivers, which left canals.  QED.

I'm curious about why "waterway" rules out rivers. I guessed the Rio Grande because of the Spanish name and because I thought the Roosevelt was FDR and the highway was a WPA project. I'm embarrassed by so many people here saying they found FJ easy.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

How's that?

I got FJ because of Roosevelt in the clue. Then I was second-guessing myself when Alex said this FJ wasn't so easy.

There’s a character in Arsenic and Old Lace that thinks he’s Teddy Roosevelt and during the play digs locks for the Panama Canal in the cellar in the House. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

Yes, I was surprised that tea was a TS. I thought it was the most logical answer once coffee was proven wrong.

I didn't quite pay attention to the wording of the clue, but after coffee was incorrect, I said breakfast.

20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I've read this sentence over and over so many times, yet I still cannot wrap my head around it. Pee-Wee!

Well, Paul Rubens, who looked really skeevy. It took me a while to recognize that he's Pee-wee. Used his normal voice. Bridget saves herself by clobbering him in the head with a kerosene lamp. Like I said, there's really no earthly reason this story needed to be told.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I'm embarrassed by so many people here saying they found FJ easy.

Although I got last night's FJ, I have had this same feeling of embarrassment many, many times.

Only two ts's for me last night: 200 metre and tea.

Does anyone else check the TOC Tracker? I looked at it yesterday morning and they already had Jonathan entered as a 4 time winner. So, no surprise to me who won last night.

4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I'm curious about why "waterway" rules out rivers. I guessed the Rio Grande because of the Spanish name and because I thought the Roosevelt was FDR and the highway was a WPA project. I'm embarrassed by so many people here saying they found FJ easy.

I'd be living in constant shame and embarrassment if I let people here say FJ was easy affect me. Just reply "IEIYKI." For instance, my only FJ guess was the Hudson River since maybe, just maybe, it flows through Spanish Harlem, if there really IS a Spanish Harlem. Sure, the Panama Canal is a no-brainer once the answer is revealed, but before then ... duh. We were never taught the word for "isthmus" in my Spanish class. If FJ is ever about directions to a Spanish library or "pass the butter," I'm golden.

I saw "Arsenic and Old Lace" decades ago, when old movies used to be shown on tv. I just remember the two elderly women making "tea" for their gentleman callers, and the fellow digging the Panama Canal in the basement. Kudos to those who got FJ based on that film!

BTW, the "Roosevelt" is ambiguous ... no one knows for sure if it's Teddy or Franklin. It's one of them, or could be both. I vote both.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

Does anyone else check the TOC Tracker? I looked at it yesterday morning and they already had Jonathan entered as a 4 time winner. So, no surprise to me who won last night.

I don't check the tracker, but I look at TheJeopardyFan every day to get FJ for the contest, and I always look to see who won because I hate stress. Knowing the outcome of the game lessens that considerably. JMHO of course!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2