Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I am old enough (seriously Alex, the 80s weren’t that long ago) but thought the answer was Teddy Roosevelt. 

I so would have wanted to say Roger Murdock instead of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. 

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

seriously Alex, the 80s weren’t that long ago

That was so irritating. Like those players were "too young" to know anything about Ronald Reagan yet FJ players could answer a FJ about the First Punic War four games ago.

I have no idea why I knew FJ so easily except I have an interest in naval ships. PBS's "Carrier" is my favorite series, I've seen it four times. But back to FJ: It was between George H.W. Bush and Reagan. Both have carriers named after them. But I had to pick Reagan based on “Peace Through Strength.” Still, Bush was a strong second guess. "A thousand points of light" and all.

I'm obviously living in a Seinfeld Bizarro World since last week was a fail for me and the week had no asterisks, while today was easy peasy for me, and it was an asterisk day. Go figure.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I am old enough (seriously Alex, the 80s weren’t that long ago) but thought the answer was Teddy Roosevelt. 

I guessed Harry S. Truman. But I did know Erik (the Red) and Leif (the Lucky) Erikson, Dreyfus, punk (anyone overthink that one and think they were going for something more specific?). Micah, and the Alhambra.

So the trend of one and done champs continues. Good news for those irked by Kevin. Any strong feelings about Jonathan? 

The Erik and Leif Erikson, queen bee, and trachea TS surprised me.  Also strapping and punk a bit.  And Maggie’s “never even heard of him”-style reaction to the Alfred Dreyfus reveal of her missed DD bugged me.

The Hester Prynne clue should have been in the first round; it was over-valued in DJ.

I love hearing Alex say genre; it was my favorite part of that montage that made the rounds on the internet years ago of his pronunciation of foreign words. 

I lucked into guessing correctly on FJ; it sounded like the kind of thing Reagan would say.  I didn't come back from commercial in time to hear the clue, so I looked it up on the archive and initially read it backwards, as "strength through peace," so my thoughts went to a different kind of president before realizing my error.  I like my made-up phrase much better.

• Love 1

I got Turkey, strapping, Murders IN the Rue Morgue, the queen bee, and the DD of Dreyfus.

For FJ I guessed Eisenhower with some confidence, but when Alex said Reagan I remembered RR saying something about peace thru strength.

13 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I guessed Reagan, because I pay no attention to the name of ships (outside of WWII history...lol). But when he said they were too young, I started second guessing my choice. I mean, seriously, Reagan died this century, well within the lifespans of the contestants.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

But I'm one to talk since my original answer was based on thinking Natalie Portman & Keira Knightly were the same person..lol

Keira Knightley did play Natalie Portman's decoy/double in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, so you're not alone in finding them similar in appearance.

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 7:16 PM, ClareWalks said:

I know everyone's knowledge base is different but I'm surprised only one person got FJ. To me it was obvious because she was the It Girl so recently and you couldn't avoid hearing about her if you tried :-P

I'm usually really good at the Oscars, but Jennifer Lawrence didn't even occur to me, and I actually like her a lot.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:00 PM, M. Darcy said:

I also saw Benedict’s Hamlet! But just got the tickets online. 

I saw Ralph Fiennes' Hamlet twice back in 1995.  It was one of the most sublime experiences of my life.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:01 PM, Grundoon59 said:

Okay one last rant for the year from a perturbed but proud Son of the Desert- learn some basic Laurel and Hardy people! 🤣

I might not have gotten that one if I hadn't just read  review of the new movie about Laurel and Hardy.  Which is a shame, because it shows how many brain cells I've lost to watching ANTM.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, saber5055 said:

knew Laurel and Hardy immediately, but had to stop and think which one always said that. So, I picked "the other one."

That's usually my problem with them.  I did manage to get the right one this time.

16 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I so would have wanted to say Roger Murdock instead of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. 

I said Teddy Roosevelt, then changed it to Reagan just in time.

I was watching the Game of Thrones Season 7 marathon on HBO, so I only saw FJ last night.

A pretty good game for me with the following ts's or missed DD's: Eric the Red & Leif Erickson, Dreyfus, Murders in the Rue Morgue, Alhambra, queen bee, and Hulk Hogan.

I said Harry S. Truman for FJ.

These champs are passing through so fast I don't even remember them.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, Bastet said:

*I've apparently seen her when she was just starting out in an episode of Cold Case and of Monk, but those are long gone from my memory ba

She was also in an episode of Medium as a murder vic and then later as Alison's (Patricia Arquette) younger self.

4 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Keira Knightley did play Natalie Portman's decoy/double in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, so you're not alone in finding them similar in appearance.

I'm sure that is at least part of the reason I confuse them. 

They joined Jeopardy in progress about halfway through in my market (so no late night airing) - how did the guy who won Tuesday get so far ahead? Did the other two go in the red and then back up or was the guy who was ahead just answering EVERYTHING?

4 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

I just started reading another novel by Lee Child, so I was amused by Monday's missed DD of "Stretch Armstrong" for the hero, "Jack Reacher."  Not a stupid guess but just really funny.

I said "Stretch Armstrong" aloud to my tv. It amused me when I said it.

I've read there is some controversy about Tom Cruise playing Reacher since Cruise isn't all that tall.

Didn't anyone get the TS of trachea?

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I've read there is some controversy about Tom Cruise playing Reacher since Cruise isn't all that tall.

Reacher is 6'5", nearly a foot taller than Cruise. I was on the "hell no" side of that controversy. LOL.

• Love 4
On 1/1/2019 at 2:01 PM, saber5055 said:

When she hosted SNL, her entire monologue was how to pronounce her name, complete with songs. Of course.

And if anyone didn't see it, it "rhymes with inertia".  Which I found very helpful.

• Love 3
On 12/31/2018 at 7:12 PM, GreekGeek said:

I hope he isn't another one and done; I'm getting tired of those.

8 hours ago, Trey said:

These champs are passing through so fast I don't even remember them.

On 1/1/2019 at 8:19 PM, SuperCam1 said:

this show is really starting to get boring with all the one and done champs its been been that way for a week now and looks like we headed for another week with the way this one is going.

Be careful what you say on this thread. Huzzah for our two-day champ.

Did you get FJ @lb60? It made me think of you.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

And to this day I cannot tell them apart when I watch that movie. I have tried many times. I cannot tell which is the decoy and which is the real Padme, especially when they have that makeup on. I am terrible with faces.

I was surprised that they hadn't required the full name tonight. When Alex said 'Winnie the Pooh' I thought AA Milne and was then confused when the middle constestant's answer was "half right". I took the "son" in the clue metaphorically rather than literally.

• Love 3

I know they won't, but I wish the judges would be more consistent with "Be more specific".  In the Plantagenets category, it should have been "What is the War of the Roses," not "What are War of Roses."  That's like accepting "What are the World War One." 

Edited by Brookside

I loathe portmanteaus of character names, so I thought I'd hate the mash-up category, and was relieved it was something different.

I’ve never heard castles in the air, just in the sky.

Diamonds was a surprising TS, but only because at that stage of the game and at that value, I’d have thought someone would just go ahead and guess it.  Juneau, coats of arms, Thomas a Becket, and Kansas were things I'd have predicted at least one would get, but nothing that truly surprised me tonight.

A broom as a 28th anniversary present?  That would be a good way to make sure you don’t see your 29th.  That wrong answer gave me a good chuckle.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I got diamonds, Kansas, and 53. There were others I should have gotten, but for some reason I wasn't bothering to think. I guess I'm just tired.

I got Christopher Robin. I wondered how Danielle came up with Christopher Tolkien.

If Danielle had anything similar to my thought process for FJ, she thought of Milne first, then reread the clue and said “famous son... Milne’s son isn’t famous... Tolkien’s son is a writer, maybe that’s it.”

In other words, I took the clue to mean the son was famous for something on his own. 

50 minutes ago, Brookside said:

That's like accepting "What are the World War One." 

Wouldn’t they? They accept many things that are not grammatically correct including using What, who, why wrong.

• Love 4

TS I got for Wednesday were diamonds; Coats of Arms; 53; stone of Scone, which I think was recently part of  FJ clue? FJ was an instaget, but I only said the 1st 2 names. Shoutout to @lb60

I sucked at the character mash-up category.

57 minutes ago, Etta Place said:

In other words, I took the clue to mean the son was famous for something on his own. 

I took the wording to mean the son was famous also. I got it right based on the rest of the clue & thought maybe he was famous for something I wasn't aware of. 

• Love 2

Jennifer Lawrence was my third choice for Monday's FJ (after Keira Knightley and Emma Stone).  D'oh!  This will not embiggen my FJ contest score.

Ronald Reagan for Tuesday's FJ was an instaget.

I'm almost caught up from two weeks of shows.  I loved the In the Band, Confused Lyrics, and Top 40 categories.  Definitely a sweet spot for me.

What's with all the categories about new words?  They've had a spate of them lately, and it's getting old.  Or maybe I'm just hangry.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Wouldn’t they? They accept many things that are not grammatically correct including using What, who, why wrong.

You may well be right, but to my ear it was just wrong.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I got diamonds, Kansas, and 53. There were others I should have gotten, but for some reason I wasn't bothering to think. I guess I'm just tired.

I got Christopher Robin. I wondered how Danielle came up with Christopher Tolkien.

I said Christopher Tolkien too, just cause I couldn’t quickly think of another famous writer son and the titles sounded like they could be related to places in Middle Earth.

Of course, then I realized “wait a sec, I’m almost certain he’s still alive, oops” and looking now, yes he’s 94.

I was on a roll right up until Final Jeopardy. I was actually shocked at how well I did in most of the categories oh, but did not know the Final Jeopardy answer until Alex gave his little teaser. Right after that I knew that answer was Christopher Robin.

Monday--Superman, Mt. Sinai, and Oliver Hardy (thanks to a story I saw on CBS Sunday Morning).  FJ was an instaget, although I then thought of Portman, but stuck with JLaw.

Tuesday--I got trachea and queen bee.  No clue for FJ.  My first thought (because I'm an idiot?) was Kissinger, but I knew that wasn't right.  I couldn't think of anyone else.  Boo Hiss!

Tonight I got diamonds and 53.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Did you get FJ @lb60? It made me think of you.

Sadly, no.

<hangs head in shame like she's Eeyore>

I said Tolkien. 

23 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Shoutout to @lb60

See above.  I don't deserve it.

Also, I can't stand the champ.  For some reason, he reminds me of Jeremy Piven and I loathe Piven.  Plus, he needs to learn how to wear a tie bar and tie a proper knot.  Massive pet peeve of mine.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 5

I got Christopher Robin but was confused by the wording of the clue.  Milne's When We Were Very Young is one of my childhood favorites (also Pooh of course).  James James Morrison Morrison pops in my head a lot (and is currently lodging there).

I am probably at a lonely table for one but I was bummed they didn't finish the Plantagenet category.  Years of British history also occupies space in my brain.  

• Love 5

I was intrigued with the idea of reigning champion, Jonathan's podcast analyzing AFI's selection of the 25 best film scores, so I went looking for it.  In case anyone else is interested, it's called, Settling the Score.  I subscribed but haven't yet listened to it.  I'll most likely choose a few episodes based on which film scores I'm familiar with and enjoy.   (How is Jurassic Park NOT on the AFI list?  Perhaps they decided to cap John Williams' entries at three.)

Edited by ProudMary
7 hours ago, Bastet said:

I loathe portmanteaus of character names, so I thought I'd hate the mash-up category, so I was relieved it was something different.

I’ve never heard castles in the air, just in the sky.

Diamonds was a surprising TS, but only because at that stage of the game and at that value, I’d have thought someone would just go ahead and guess it.  Juneau, coats of arms, Thomas a Becket, and Kansas were things I'd have predicted at least one would get, but nothing that truly surprised me tonight.

A broom as a 28th anniversary present?  That would be a good way to make sure you don’t see your 29th.  That wrong answer gave me a good chuckle.

I've heard both "the sky" and "the air." The latter is the title of a song by Don McLean.

I guessed diamonds also, but wondered why Ms. Franklin could not have had them made into jewelry. 

I took the wording to mean the son was famous also. I got it right based on the rest of the clue & thought maybe he was famous for something I wasn't aware of. 

"Famous" could mean famous as a character in the books, not for something he wrote himself. I always thought it was nervy of Milne to use his son's real name.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ProudMary said:

I was intrigued with the idea of reigning champion, Jonathan's podcast analyzing AFI's selection of the 25 best film scores, so I went looking for it.  In case anyone else is interested, it's called, Settling the Score.  I subscribed but haven't yet listened to it.  I'll most likely choose a few episodes based on which film scores I'm familiar with and enjoy.   (How is Jurassic Park NOT on the AFI list?  Perhaps they decided to cap John Williams' entries at three.)

Thanks for finding it!  I was wishing that they would give the name of the podcast during the interview, but maybe that kind of self-promotion isn't allowed.

In regards to grammar, one of the things we were told during the auditions and also during the pre-show briefing is that the "question" part of our response didn't have to be grammatically, or even logically, correct, as long as it was in question form.  The example they gave was: "Who is the Mississippi River?" would be perfectly acceptable.

• Love 10
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

As it coincidentally turns out, the Tolkien son who's still alive is named Christopher,

6 hours ago, ProudMary said:

John Williams has done so many scores that he could be an entire podcast series all by himself. I can see capping his entries so that he doesn't hog the show, as it were.

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I guessed diamonds also, but wondered why Ms. Franklin could not have had them made into jewelry.

My guess would be that he wanted her to use them practically - as in money to live on - rather than fripperies. (dredging an era appropriate word out of the back of my mind)

• Love 2

I also assumed the son was famous in his own right.  I answered Milne but thought that’s not specific enough.  Imagine my surprise when the champ answered the same and the answer was accepted.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

As it coincidentally turns out, the Tolkien son who's still alive is named Christopher,

Yes, I just looked that up. I thought she had conflated Christopher Robin and an assumed child of Tolkien's. I apologize to Danielle for thinking she gave a silly answer.

My guess would be that he wanted her to use them practically - as in money to live on - rather than fripperies. (dredging an era appropriate word out of the back of my mind)

Maybe you're right. My first thought was that they were industrial diamonds, which was a silly thought -- taking away 'silliness' from Danielle and applying it to myself.

Ah! I just googled and found this:

When Franklin died, he left most of his estate to Sally and her husband, including a miniature portrait of Louis XVI surrounded by diamonds, which she sold, against his wishes, to finance a trip to London.

If I remember the wording of the clue correctly, it said she COULDN'T make jewelry out of the diamonds. Sounds like she could have but chose not to.

Edited by peeayebee
grammer... er, grammar
  • Love 2

Paraphrasing from the website Timeline: Louis XVI gifted Ben a gorgeous snuff box decorated with 408 diamonds. Ben was reluctant to keep it because of an emollient clause in the Articles of Confederation about government employees profiting from their positions. Ben also did not want to damage relations with France by refusing the box, so he took the issue to President Jefferson and Congress who said keep it. So in his Will, Ben instructed Sarah Bache, daughter, to never dismantle the box and keep it in its glorious form, thinking that jewelry was a vain fashion. It passed from mother to daughter and, of course, over time various family members did dismantle it to use the diamonds in jewelry and to finance their own projects. The remains of it are in the custody of the American Philosophical Society. I wish my link function worked today but you can easily read about this interesting matter online. Just search for Ben’s daughter diamonds. I guess this is why gifts from other governments to US Presidents are now displayed at their museums and libraries and are not the Presidents’ to keep.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 4

Shouldn't the answer of 'Fonda' have required a BMS? Both Jane and Peter's names were in the clue asking for the father, shouldn't 'Henry' have been required? Another head-scratcher from the J! judges. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Thanks! I wasn't aware that The score from Star Wars was #1 on AFI's list, but am not surprised. In March we are going to a screening with the score being performed by the Houston Symphony. Really looking forward to it. 

@Spunkygal - Very interesting! Thanks for the information.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Paraphrasing from the website Timeline: Louis XVI gifted Ben a gorgeous snuff box decorated with 408 diamonds. Ben was reluctant to keep it because of an emollient clause in the Articles of Confederation about government employees profiting from their positions. Ben also did not want to damage relations with France by refusing the box, so he took the issue to President Jefferson and Congress who said keep it. So in his Will, Ben instructed Sarah Bache, daughter, to never dismantle the box and keep it in its glorious form, thinking that jewelry was a vain fashion. It passed from mother to daughter and, of course, over time various family members did dismantle it to use the diamonds in jewelry and to finance their own projects. The remains of it are in the custody of the American Philosophical Society. I wish my link function worked today but you can easily read about this interesting matter online. Just search for Ben’s daughter diamonds. I guess this is why gifts from other governments to US Presidents are now displayed at their museums and libraries and are not the Presidents’ to keep.

And once more I make a guess that's totally the opposite of the real story. I do it enough to be careful about making assumptions. 

Very interesting.

12 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I am probably at a lonely table for one but I was bummed they didn't finish the Plantagenet category.  Years of British history also occupies space in my brain.  

Make it a table for two and we can gab for hours about that.

I knew they wouldn't finish it, though; it feels like contestants steer clear of that part of history when it comes up. I remember being so pumped for a category on Thomas More, only for them to give up after a question or two and avoid it the rest of the round and never finish it. I was practically champing at the bit and they were basically like "nope" haha

I had fun excitedly shouting "KING JOHN! THOMAS BECKET!" while I could though.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

stone of Scone, which I think was recently part of  FJ clue?

I thought they were asking for from what town was The Stone stolen, so I was surprised when Trebek said Stone of Scone. And yes, it was a FJ answer this season. One (of the few) I've gotten correct!

This is from yesterday's TheJeopardyFan.com about the FJ answer:

"Christopher Robin Milne is the son of A. A. Milne, famous for having written the Winnie-the-Pooh series of books. “The Enchanted Places” and “The Hollow on the Hill” are the first and third parts of his autobiography. At times, Christopher Robin loathed his father for making him famous (through the Christopher Robin character in the books), but writing the autobiography enabled Christopher Robin “to come to terms with what his father had done to him”, according to a 1996 obituary in The Independent.

I can't figure out why son hated dad so much for using his name in books. He didn't HAVE to go to school as Christopher Robin, he could have just been Chris Milne. Or even Topher Milne. So I don't see the big deal. But I'm also not a big hater, so there's that. I guess the son was going to despise dad for something anyway so it might as well have been his name. Although I'm guessing dad left a nice estate and $$ to the ungrateful son. Just guessing though. TheJeopardyFan.com does have a link to the obit in The Independent.

• Love 3

I can't figure out why son hated dad so much for using his name in books.

A movie came out recently about that called Goodbye Christopher Robin.  He was horribly bullied in school over it.  How he was called him school might have not been a choice - and they probably knew who he was before he got there.  Plus, if the movie was accurate, he also hated just being in the spotlight at all - and his Dad used him a lot for publicity.  

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Shouldn't the answer of 'Fonda' have required a BMS? Both Jane and Peter's names were in the clue asking for the father, shouldn't 'Henry' have been required? Another head-scratcher from the J! judges. 

Since there was only one Fonda who had kids named Jane and Peter, I can understand not requiring a BMS. 

• Love 2