Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, teebax said:

The Bill Gates guess by Greg was strange. I guess he focused on the billionaire part and forgot the category?

I think Bill Gates has written a book, hasn't he? Obviously he's not known primarily for being an author,  but it makes the guess less wild.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I take each clue by itself with no reference to any clue above or below it, so the writers' cleverness was lost on me.

Many times clues do build on one another going down the category.  Not usually as obvious as this one, but a lot of times it helps to have revealed the top clues first, which is why board-jumping can be a bad strategy

28 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

I did briefly consider Clancy

I don't remember now if it had a time period on the clue, but Clancy died 5 years ago.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I can’t believe two of them missed FJ! Heh if the new champ hadn’t gotten it right, I might have thrown something at the tv. 

I was kinda hoping they'd all get it wrong so I could gloat with my asterisk!

The only TS I got was Wonder.

I was happy to see James win since he seemed so sharp, for the most part.

• Love 2

If I ask you what Bill Gates does for a living you would not say "author," which was the FJ category. I stand by my assertion it was a strange response. I'm not mocking him, for crying out loud. I'm pointing out that it was a strange response for that category. 

• Love 6

Catching up for the week.

Tuesday: No show for me (not even late night, boo hiss!), but I did find FJ online and got it right.

Wednesday: I got One Day at a Time and John Carpenter. FJ was a lucky guess.

Thursday: My only TS was Tainted Love (loved that song back in the day).  I managed to come up with Chile for FJ, but blanked on the other country.

Friday: I got Wonder (love), Three Times a Lady, and Gulf of Alaska.  My first thought for FJ was Grisham, then Patterson, then the duh moment, and I came up with Rowling.

I haven't been particularly excited by any of the champs this week.

• Love 3

Friday's TS I got were Ready Player One, cyanide, Gulf of St. Lawrence, Two Princes, Gulf of Finland, Gulf of Oman (full disclosure: got it after Persian Gulf was deemed incorrect). I fully expected the answer to FJ to be a male author since there was no "Woman" qualifier, and I was stumped for 1/2 a second before getting JK Rowling. 

17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

So I pose my question again: Is it better to leave your FJ slate blank if you don't know it or take a wild guess and be mocked forever online? You decide. Me, I vote wild-ass guess.

Wild-ass guess, most definitely. 

14 hours ago, lb60 said:

I haven't been particularly excited by any of the champs this week.

I think they've all been one-and-done, so we didn't get to "know" any of them.  

• Love 6
Just now, Toothbrush said:

blank if you don't know it or take a wild guess

I remember, way back in the early days (like, Season 5 or something), they needed to come up with a person who whatever and one contestant wrote "Who is Smith?", just picking a common surname, rather than leave it blank. Turns out, "Smith" was indeed the last name of the person they were going for and he got credit for it and I believe became champ. So, always put something, since "blank" is definitely wrong and you might get lucky!

• Love 7

For FJ, I said Stephen King only because he’s such a prolific writer. He and his wife have a charitable foundation where they give away millions  each year.

He was also on Celebrity Jeopardy  in 1995.

I thought of Rowling, but thought King would be wealthier.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, bythelake said:

For FJ, I said Stephen King only because he’s such a prolific writer. He and his wife have a charitable foundation where they give away millions  each year.

He was also on Celebrity Jeopardy  in 1995.

I thought of Rowling, but thought King would be wealthier.

King's getting wealthier by the minute with so many new takes on his works on tv and in the movies, but Rowling tapped the kids market - which included a s**t-ton of product merchandising. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

King's getting wealthier by the minute with so many new takes on his works on tv and in the movies, but Rowling tapped the kids market - which included a s**t-ton of product merchandising. 

Also selling rights so that a Harry Potter area could be built at Disney. Judging by the lines it’s a big money draw. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Also selling rights so that a Harry Potter area could be built at Disney. Judging by the lines it’s a big money draw. 

Universal Studios, actually. As a parent to 3 HP fans, I shudder to think how much money I’ve dropped there. But then FJ was also an insta-get for me, so there’s that.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, Abstract said:

Universal Studios, actually. As a parent to 3 HP fans, I shudder to think how much money I’ve dropped there. But then FJ was also an insta-get for me, so there’s that.

Thank you for the correction. 

Here's a list from a year ago of richest authors, though not all acquired their wealth thru writing.

1. Rowling - $1 B
  2. James Patterson - $750 M
  3. Candy Spelling - $600 M (wife of Aaron Spelling)
  4. Paulo Coelho - $500 M 
  5. Stephen King - $400 M
  6. Danielle Steel - $385 M
  7. Nora Roberts - $370 M
  8. Pleasant Rowland - $310 M (creator of American Girl brand)
  9. Barbara Raylor Bradford - $300 M
  10. John Grisham - $300 M
  • Love 7
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, teebax said:

I thought the board was easier than usual today. I had Baywatch, Wonder, Three Times A Lady, Two Princes, and Gulf of Finland.

I said JK Rowling immediately for FJ and was surprised they didn't all get it. The Bill Gates guess by Greg was strange. I guess he focused on the billionaire part and forgot the category?

Not that it mattered in the end, but Kathryn's FJ bet was way too high. 

I got Three Times A Lady, Two Princes and the Gulf of Finland.  Should've gotten JK Rowling, but couldn't come up with anything.

• Love 3

Do you have Jeopardy related new year's resolutions?  I guessed Stephen King.  Maybe I didn't expect they would have a woman in a general Authors category, and I'm not much of a Harry Potter fan.  Gotta work on both of those.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Do you have Jeopardy related new year's resolutions? 

Mine should be read more Shakespeare, listen to opera and study The Bible For Dummies. But I won't. I'd like to say my resolution is to see Hamilton, but I can't afford it. *sigh* So I guess my 2019 resolution is to Try Not To Be Hopeless.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

Was it Friday when a woman player said she couldn't watch Jeopardy in the summer when the trees were in leaf, it would only come in during winter when leaves fell. And Trebek told her to get an antenna and she said that's what she had? Finally, someone who understands my life. I'm still hoping to be able to get PBS again, it left in spring, as did the two Fox channels. And pretty much all the channels leave when the wind blows. Which it never does on the tundra in winter ... /sarcasm/

• Love 4
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Was it Friday when a woman player said she couldn't watch Jeopardy in the summer when the trees were in leaf, it would only come in during winter when leaves fell. And Trebek told her to get an antenna and she said that's what she had? Finally, someone who understands my life. I'm still hoping to be able to get PBS again, it left in spring, as did the two Fox channels. And pretty much all the channels leave when the wind blows. Which it never does on the tundra in winter ... /sarcasm/

I thought of you! 

I have no Jeopardy resolution for 2019, but learning new things is always good. Pretty sure @teebax has one ;-)

• Love 6

I know everyone's knowledge base is different but I'm surprised only one person got FJ. To me it was obvious because she was the It Girl so recently and you couldn't avoid hearing about her if you tried :-P

• Love 2

Okay one last rant for the year from a perturbed but proud Son of the Desert- learn some basic Laurel and Hardy people! 🤣

Seriously Happy New Year everyone - you all have brightened my 2018 and I look forward to 2019 with you too.  

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Okay one last rant for the year from a perturbed but proud Son of the Desert- learn some basic Laurel and Hardy people! 🤣

Seriously Happy New Year everyone - you all have brightened my 2018 and I look forward to 2019 with you too.  

By coincidence, I saw the new movie Stan and Ollie on Saturday and then read this article about their best work. The last entry is the one alluded to in the horse clue.

I also knew Superman (and I am usually a big zero with superhero clues) and L. Frank Baum. I too was surprised that only one person knew FJ; I didn't consider anyone besides JLaw.

I wondered if the new champ would rub anyone the wrong way. He's OK with me. I hope he isn't another one and done; I'm getting tired of those.

Happy New Year to all!

• Love 4

The new champ is a ringer for Texas politician Beto O'Rourke. I knew he'd get JLaw since popular culture seems to be his thing. Surprised the other two came up empty on that one. 

• Love 2

Nice of Alex to disparage the woman's story about the Bahamas with a dismissive "Been there, done that."

In a fine bit of coincidence I was watching a different quiz  show during the commercials and three of the answers were Benedict Cumberbatch, Chilean miners, and a horse.

New champ reminds me of Jack McBrayer, the page on Thirty Rock.

image.png.4b47c14b27bfe7d1563d52f1d463965f.png

• Love 4

Monday's TS I got were Superman, Mt. Sinai, registered. Natalie Portman was my 1st thought for FJ because of Black Swan and Pride & Prejudice, but then I realized I had her confused with Kiera Knightly in P+P. I remembered about Jennifer Lawrence in the nick of time. 

New champ is a swayer, and Dr Toothbrush & I also see Beto O'Rourke & Kenneth(?) from 30 Rock. 

Happy New Year to all! xo

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Indeed! "This is another fine mess" seems like a dead giveaway to Oliver Hardy. Sheesh!

40 minutes ago, Hpmec said:

The new champ is a ringer for Texas politician Beto O'Rourke. 

He reminds me of Josh Groban. 

I got Superman, Baum, registered, and Oliver Hardy. FJ didn't take me long to get Jennifer Lawrence. (I was hoping for an asterisk.)

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

By coincidence, I saw the new movie Stan and Ollie on Saturday 

Cool! It looks good. I hope it was good.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Indeed! "This is another fine mess" seems like a dead giveaway to Oliver Hardy. Sheesh!

The only excuse that I can give them is they were afraid to pick "the other one".

Happy New Year everyone.  Hope the fireworks don't go too late.

Edited by Brookside

Those were some decent wrong guesses on FJ today. 

Alex always looks so disappointed when a Laurel and Hardy question is a TS. But I don't know a person under 50 who knows anything about L&H. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

We can never remember which is which. Once Stan and Ollie opens in our backwoods, we might be able to remember. But I have the same problem with many duos - Abbot and Costello, Rowan and Martin, etc. The only reason I can remember who's who from Martin and Lewis is that they both had long individual careers with which I'm more familiar.

I have the same issue with some modern duos (music, mostly), but I can't dredge them from my mind at the moment. Unless, of course, there's a distinct difference in hotness. I'll always remember the hot one. ;)

Jennifer Lawrence was an instaget for me, though I can't put my finger on what she was nominated for (the one movie I said out loud, I think was Amy Adams instead of Jennifer -lol)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Jennifer Lawrence was an instaget for me, though I can't put my finger on what she was nominated for (the one movie I said out loud, I think was Amy Adams instead of Jennifer -lol)

Winter's Bone (nominated) and Silver Linings Playbook (won) :)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

(the one movie I said out loud, I think was Amy Adams instead of Jennifer -lol)

You were probably thinking "American Hustle", which, to be fair, had both AA & JL in it.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, illdoc said:

You were probably thinking "American Hustle", which, to be fair, had both AA & JL in it.

Yes, yes it was. Thank you for explaining my confusion. :)

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm pretty much lost on movies any more. I thought of Saorise Ronan solely for the fun factor in trying to spell her first name.

I love saying her name. Though if I look at it, I stumble on how it's pronounced.

• Love 1

I haven't seen the show in a while due to the holidays, but I just perused all my missed FJs via the archive (planning to get back into the swing of watching with tonight's episode), and I join those of you a bit surprised only one contestant got last night's right.  I couldn't give a sketch artist a description of Jennifer Lawrence beyond "young, pretty, and blonde, I think," and I just looked up her credits to confirm I've never seen any of her films*, but she was my first, and near-immediate, guess for FJ just based on hearing about her so often.  Not to retain information about her, but just repeatedly hearing her name. 

And that's coming from someone who no longer reads entertainment media, isn't on social media, and works out of her home office most of the time so has no water cooler conversation anymore -- yet just from my limited sources of cultural osmosis, young + female + actor + awards = Jennifer Lawrence.  I did briefly second guess myself with Natalie Portman, but her I have seen in several things and was pretty sure most of her nominations came when she was older than 25, so I stuck with Lawrence; the chatter about her I registered seemed to always include her young age (maybe relative to the roles she plays?).  So it's one of those, "Hmm, if someone in my situation knows it, I'm surprised only one contestant did" scenarios.

*I've apparently seen her when she was just starting out in an episode of Cold Case and of Monk, but those are long gone from my memory bank.

19 minutes ago, illdoc said:

And both were nominated for Oscars IIRC.  But Amy Adams is at least a decade older than Jennifer Lawrence & was already over 25 when the 21st century arrived. But I'm one to talk since my original answer was based on thinking Natalie Portman & Keira Knightly were the same person..lol

25 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I love saying her name. Though if I look at it, I stumble on how it's pronounced.

When she hosted SNL, her entire monologue was how to pronounce her name, complete with songs. Of course.

I knew Laurel and Hardy immediately, but had to stop and think which one always said that. So, I picked "the other one."

I liked the clue about the Canada geese. People always call them Canadian geese, which is wrong, they really are Canada geese. I'm on a flyway and see wedges of them all the time, they always honk as they fly. One went over this morning as I was feeding horses ... going south, unfortunately for me, good for them. In spring they lay over in the water near me and I can hear them honking into the night. I've been told it's legal to shoot one if they fly over your property but I've never put that to the test.

15 hours ago, Hpmec said:

The new champ is a ringer for Texas politician Beto O'Rourke.

I listen more than watch, so will have to pay attention today. Beto is "my guy" for 2020.

15 hours ago, Brookside said:

Nice of Alex to disparage the woman's story about the Bahamas with a dismissive "Been there, done that."

This is why I only half listen to the interviews on days when I'm already cranky and Trebek can send me OTT with his smart assery "It's All About Me" business. I did hear that though, and it forced me to imagine Trebek in a skin-tight wet suit. Yesterday was not a stellar day.

I saw Winters Bone but it's difficult for me to associate JL with it, she was so young then. Even now she's not on my radar for a great actress. I don't remember what name I came up with, just know it was incorrect.

I hope everyone had a good NYE and ya'll are enjoying a day off. Remember to eat your black-eyed peas today for good luck throughout 2019!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, Bastet said:

*I've apparently seen her when she was just starting out in an episode of Cold Case and of Monk, but those are long gone from my memory bank.

She was in Monk? I'll have to look that up. 

And here it is!

Edited by peeayebee
added video link
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I hope everyone had a good NYE and ya'll are enjoying a day off. Remember to eat your black-eyed peas today for good luck throughout 2019!

I swore off black eyed peas when I left home, and have been luckier ever since, in that I was lucky never to have to eat them again. LOL (now fried okra, still a thumbs up in my book)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

But I'm one to talk since my original answer was based on thinking Natalie Portman & Keira Knightly were the same person..lol

You're not alone. I always mix them up in my mind. (and for some reason Cameron Diaz and Gwyneth Paltrow, though I'm clearer about them these days).

• Love 1