Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Matt76 said:

ONE question (from me not Jon) wasn't 8 Simple Rules also an acceptable answer to the Ritter question as well as 3s Company?

It fit the numbers category, but the question specified the John Ritter show that was based on the British show "Man About the House." The only answer for that is "Three's Company."

• Love 8

Once again, my home state is an embarrassing $1,000 clue.  Four of its 10 previous governors have done time in federal prison.  Oh, Illinois.....

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 11
On 12/25/2018 at 8:36 AM, Clanstarling said:

I was annoyed that Alex said the judges "were in the Christmas spirit" (or something like that) by giving the woman "Tin Pot Dictator" - which kind of implied she didn't deserve it. Which she totally did, imo. I said Potentate - which I think might have been more of a stretch, but bet they would have given it to me (based on some of the stretch judgements they've made previously)

For the Pot/Dictator question, I said Pol Pot. Would that have been accepted?

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, SHD said:

It fit the numbers category, but the question specified the John Ritter show that was based on the British show "Man About the House." The only answer for that is "Three's Company."

You are correct. My bad. Think poorly of me not Jon.

• Love 2

Congratulations to Jon. He is a very unlikable winner...*wink wink*. I did like the story that DeAnn told about the naming of her son Logan. She had good comedic timing and got a laugh out of Alex. 

I got John Carpenter, 3’s Company, and otherwise kept drawing blanks. Must be a holiday hangover even though I touched not one drop. That’s just wrong lol. 

I’m in the pool with you @saber5055 for worst wild guess. I said Malta. 

Sounds like you are practicing hard @teebax Try not to stress. Well, maybe about your outfit...just kidding. 

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Once again, my home state is an embarrassing $1,000 clue.  Four of its 10 previous governors have done time in federal prison.  Oh, Illinois.....

That actually should be a $200 clue. It's too easy for $1,000.

38 minutes ago, Driad said:

You could talk to the person in charge of the FJ contest.  :-)

It's been my experience that the person running that contest is a hard nose and not an easy one to deal with. So, no thanks to that idea.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Matt76 said:

You are correct. My bad. Think poorly of me not Jon.

Don't worry, you are still golden. Not a day goes by here that someone doesn't goof up a clue/answer. Not that I ever have ... *cough*

Missed Wednesday's FJ due to breaking news right after the last DJ question was read, about the POTUS & FLOTUS visiting US troops in the Middle East. I will wait for it to be updated at today's Jeopardy Fan to see if I would have gotten it for the FJ contest. 

Wed's TS I got were One Day At A Time; The Brothers Karamazov (Richard's missed DD; he obviously had forgotten the family part of the category name); John Carpenter; Perkins 

Glad to hear that Jon won, but I would have been happy with any of the three winning. And I agree with @saber5055 that they all looked nice.

@Matt76 - Was it your dad who refused to meet with Steve Jobs because he was wearing jeans? That was a great story, and I could see my paternal grandfather doing the same thing. Maternal granpaw may have been a little more lenient. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Don't feel too bad. Dr. Toothbrush & I had to really think it over between IL & our home state of LA. But then we realized that many of the LA ex-con politicians we came up with were various senators, reps, & mayors, so IL it was. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

@Matt76 - Was it your dad who refused to meet with Steve Jobs because he was wearing jeans? That was a great story, and I could see my paternal grandfather doing the same thing. Maternal granpaw may have been a little more lenient. 

We had a family gathering once when my grandparents brought presents for everyone except me - because I was shacking up.  At least I wasn't wearing jeans.

• Love 10

From the other night I got fishing rights and the DD of Lincoln & Douglas. FJ (Dred Scot) was easy. I was sorry Charbel lost, but I liked Richard.

Then last night I was distracted by one thing and another, so that's my excuse for not getting any TSs. For FJ I guesses Crete. I was sorry Richard lost, but I liked Jon. 

I was surprised Alex hasn't been to Easter or Australia (!!!!). I thought he's been everywhere. 

I liked the "Meanwhile..." category. It's always interesting to learn what significant things were going on in the world at the same time.

One Day At a Time is on my (long) list of TV/streaming shows to watch.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I heard "Balgojevic" in my head - in Jon Stewart's voice, so I got it. I'm sure there are other states with embarrassing stats, Paulao. My father's home state in the deep south, for one.

11 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m in the pool with you @saber5055 for worst wild guess. I said Malta. 

Sounds like you are practicing hard @teebax Try not to stress. Well, maybe about your outfit...just kidding. 

I'm in the deep end of the pool - I said Cyprus. (hangs head in shame)

6 hours ago, Brookside said:

We had a family gathering once when my grandparents brought presents for everyone except me - because I was shacking up.  At least I wasn't wearing jeans.

Harsh, man. Since my parents shacked up, they had no moral high ground to stand on when I did.

• Love 5

I might not have thought of Sicily, but it's been in the news recently with Etna acting up.

23 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I heard "Balgojevic" in my head - in Jon Stewart's voice, 

"BlaGOYevic". I miss Jon, even when he impersonated Jerry Lewis.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Wed's TS I got were One Day At A Time; The Brothers Karamazov (Richard's missed DD; he obviously had forgotten the family part of the category name); John Carpenter; Perkins 

I didn't know Frances Perkins, but got the others.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Matt76 said:

Yes, that was my Dad, Don McLaughlin, who wouldn't meet with a casually dressed Jobs. My dad was a founder and owner of MOS Technology. MOS developed a prehistoric home PC called the Kim 2 which evolved into the Commodore 64. At the time Jobs and Wizniak were struggling to stay afloat with what would become Apple. My dad was old school. He wore a white button down shirt and a skinny tie every day even on werkends. He never owned. A pair of jeans in his life or even a polo shirt. He told me there was a life lesson for me in that failed meeting. If you wish to do business dress as a businessman. The lesson I took away was not to judge a book by it's cover. Had Dad taken a,stake in Apple to get the company off the ground likely I'd be typing this message from the deck of my yacht in San Diego Harbor with a boat drink in hand.....and wearing jeans and a Grateful Dead T-shirt.

Great story. I remember MOS Technology. My version of this is that my (now ex) husband turned down an offer to work at Apple when they were very much a start-up. I always say, if only he'd have taken it, I could have had a nice settlement. Sadly, that wasn't to be, and Apple wasn't interested in me when I applied (though I did consulting work with them three different times - during three different eras).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I heard "Balgojevic" in my head - in Jon Stewart's voice, so I got it. I'm sure there are other states with embarrassing stats, Paulao. My father's home state in the deep south, for one.

The only vice president from my state had to resign as a result of being convicted of income tax evasion he committed while governor.  Spiro Agnew turns up as a Jeopardy answer a lot. <sigh>

Edited by proserpina65
Spelled 'Agnew' wrong - damn him!
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

The only vice president from my state had to resign as a result of being convicted of income tax evasion he committed while governor.  Spiro Agnes turns up as a Jeopardy answer a lot. <sigh>

There's enough shame to go around for all of us, in respect to our leaders, I expect. Human institutions and human beings are far from perfect, no matter the original ideals we start out with.

Edited by Clanstarling
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

There's enough shame to go around for all of us, in respect to our leaders, I expect. Human institutions and human beings are far from perfect, no matter the original ideals we start out with.

True, although some are less perfect than others. ;-)

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

But then we realized that many of the LA ex-con politicians we came up with were various senators, reps, & mayors, so IL it was. 

Illinois has plenty of those in prison too.

9 hours ago, Brookside said:

At least I wasn't wearing jeans.

I hope you were wearing some sort of pants. Not that it matters since you got no gifts. Bah, humbug.

Hey @proserpina65, I rather prefer your spelling of Spiro Agnes.

Great story @Matt76. I caught part of Modern Family (I never watch that) last night and Jay was grousing about what some new start-up closet guys were wearing in the office. I do like to watch Father Knows Best; Jim is always dressed in suit and tie around the house while he reads the paper after work, waiting for Margaret to fix him dinner. OLD SCHOOL!

• Love 3

Speaking of governors, I posted a year or two ago that several governors in a row in some state (NJ?) had broken bones while in office.  A news announcer said it sounded like a Jeopardy question but AFAIK they have not used it.

• Love 1

Well I got one of the countries in FJ.  I got a lot of the TSs - the literature ones they missed (if it’s China, it’s probably Pearl Buck and Snopes Family 4ever!) and Syriana are the ones I remember. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, secnarf said:

@teebax Can you spoiler-tag your post? It's before 7pm eastern time so has to be tagged.

It ruined FJ for me.

Mea culpa. We don't change our clocks and I realized it right after I posted it. I'm very sorry. I deleted it within a minute of posting it, but you'd already seen my post. 

• Love 2

I got Tainted Love, milkshake duck (which I learned about only recently), Snopes, Syriana, and the DD of The Bluest Eye.

I could not recall 'Francis.'

The only trench I could think of was the Marianas, but I knew that was wrong.

• Love 1

I love that there was a category about alliterative people when 2 of the players had alliterative names. Liked all of the contestants -again!- but was rooting for Kathryn since she reminds me of my Aunt Lynne. 

TS I got were Tainted Love; Pearl Buck; Mercury; Syriana; Frances; Pluto. Chile was instaget for FJ, and because through a series of events I recently (re?)learned that Peru is Chile's neighbor to the north, I got both right. 

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Not paying attention to the clue, I mistook Daniel Webster for William Jennings Bryan.

I got Webster (because for "speech" I always say Webster unless it's clearly Lincoln). But I couldn't stop staring at the photo and thinking "does he have eyeliner under his eyes?" The lines were so perfectly black.

I would have gotten Syriana if I'd realized what the clue was - which is what I'll keep telling myself because it's not like I got all that many of them once I realized what it was. I did, however, rock at the alliterative people category. :)

Ah, these new job titles (showing my age). It sounds like he's what we used to call a project manager. But scrum is much cooler, I guess.

For FJ, I waffled between Peru and Ecuador.  Settled for Ecuador.  D'oh!

I got Pearl S. Buck - if it's missionaries in China, it's her.  Also got Syriana, without realizing the category name, because I loved that movie.  Also got Mercury, The Bluest Eye and Tainted Love.  Knew Frances, but couldn't come up with it in time.

Edited by proserpina65
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

got Webster (because for "speech" I always say Webster unless it's clearly Lincoln). But I couldn't stop staring at the photo and thinking "does he have eyeliner under his eyes?" The lines were so perfectly black.

He looks like some fire-and-brimstone New England preacher. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Ah, these new job titles (showing my age). It sounds like he's what we used to call a project manager. But scrum is much cooler, I guess.

All I could think of was rugby scrum. Unions coined a job title, "scab." That's sort of like a scrum too.

Kudos to Jon for a game well played. I felt badly he didn't have enough time to finish writing Peru, but it's good that even if he had, he still would have been in third. Knowing the answer, running out of time and killing your chance of remaining champ would have been too much for me to live with. Cliff Clavin.

I also like how he immediately went to shake hands and congratulate Kathryn at the end of the game. That's seldom seen. Players are probably told to stay put, but I liked his enthusiasm and good grace. You can tell him, @Matt76, that he was a good player, and congratulations on adding Jeopardy Champion to his resumé. Plus he didn't get ranked on here, so BIG bonus!

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

All I could think of was rugby scrum. Unions coined a job title, "scab." That's sort of like a scrum too.

Huh, I thought "scab" referred to a non-union worker who would work during strikes. Never knew it was a job title.

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Huh, I thought "scab" referred to a non-union worker who would work during strikes. Never knew it was a job title.

You are correct. Me saying union workers call it a "job title" was my weak attempt at sarcasm/humor.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I got Pearl S. Buck - if it's missionaries in China, it's her.  

Exactly!

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Kudos to Jon for a game well played. I felt badly he didn't have enough time to finish writing Peru, but it's good that even if he had, he still would have been in third. Knowing the answer, running out of time and killing your chance of remaining champ would have been too much for me to live with. Cliff Clavin.

I also like how he immediately went to shake hands and congratulate Kathryn at the end of the game. That's seldom seen. Players are probably told to stay put, but I liked his enthusiasm and good grace. You can tell him, @Matt76, that he was a good player, and congratulations on adding Jeopardy Champion to his resumé. Plus he didn't get ranked on here, so BIG bonus!

We thought of rugby scrum too. I agree with you about Jon's sportsmanship at the end of the game. Nice to see! 

• Love 2

Just binge-watched on my lunch break. Got Only FJ-Downing for Monday, Fishing rights, Lincoln and Douglas, FJ-Dred Scott for Tuesday, One Day at a Time, John Carpenter, Tennessee, Perkins, prologue, FJ-Sicily for Wednesday, and Pearl Buck, The Bluest Eye, Syriana, Pluto, FJ-Chile and Paraguay (wrong, so so wrong-my first miss in 3 1/2 weeks!) for yesterday. 

I really need to study up on South American and African geography. 

I thought the board was easier than usual today. I had Baywatch, Wonder, Three Times A Lady, Two Princes, and Gulf of Finland.

I said JK Rowling immediately for FJ and was surprised they didn't all get it. The Bill Gates guess by Greg was strange. I guess he focused on the billionaire part and forgot the category?

Not that it mattered in the end, but Kathryn's FJ bet was way too high. 

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, teebax said:

I said JK Rowling immediately for FJ and was surprised they didn't all get it.

I said "That British woman, you know, Harry Potter, um, um, JK something, maybe..."

I was glad Alex pointed out that number category, where the responses went from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 - great example for why you should go through a category in order.

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I was glad Alex pointed out that number category, where the responses went from 5 to 4 to 3 to 2 to 1 - great example for why you should go through a category in order.

My mother figured it out by the third one!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, teebax said:

The Bill Gates guess by Greg was strange. I guess he focused on the billionaire part and forgot the category?

It was no more strange than any other wild-ass guess at FJ by any player who is grabbing at straws and by the odd chance just might MIGHT be correct. He even knew it was wrong and made that clear if you were watching his reaction. But hey, "Gates" was not as strange as my guess of "Lesbos" for the Italian island yesterday.

So I pose my question again: Is it better to leave your FJ slate blank if you don't know it or take a wild guess and be mocked forever online? You decide. Me, I vote wild-ass guess.

40 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I take each clue by itself with no reference to any clue above or below it, so the writers' cleverness was lost on me.

26 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I can’t believe two of them missed FJ!

And I can't believe I finally knew a FJ this week, bringing my FJ score up to ONE for the week.

• Love 6