Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

15 minutes ago, SuperCam1 said:

Jackie said she told producers she did'n want too talk about it unless she made it to her 3rd day and Alex brought it up today doing Jackie's interview.

Holy smokes, I obviously am carb-depleted from my long run today because I was like "Alex brought up her RAPE during her INTERVIEW?!" o_O (Not that I would put anything past Alex Trebek at this point. But that might be a bridge too far.)

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Holy smokes, I obviously am carb-depleted from my long run today because I was like "Alex brought up her RAPE during her INTERVIEW?!" o_O (Not that I would put anything past Alex Trebek at this point. But that might be a bridge too far.)

he just talk about her being in a rock band nothing else and I would not had blame Jackie if she did'n want to talk about that at all with what happened to her.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, SuperCam1 said:

he just talk about her being in a rock band nothing else and I would not had blame Jackie if she did'n want to talk about that at all with what happened to her.

That's also why I thought she may not talk about her days in the Runaways, plus her alleged suicide attempt (she said it wasn't) in Japan when they were on tour and she was sent back home.  I was happy to see her win on the show once again. 

• Love 6

I believe they did get through all of the memoir category, and I had a TS on the final clue.  I yelled John Lydon at the TV, which I assume would've been acceptable as it is Johnny Rotten's real name.  I own and thoroughly enjoyed his first autobiography, Rotten: No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs,  It covered the Sex Pistols years, primarily.  I wasn't aware he had written a second autobiography Anger Is an Energy: My Life Uncensored.  Since the title is pulled from the Public Image Ltd song Rise, I figured it had to be Lydon picking up where his previous book had left off.

Conor, Conor, Conor...

When it's late in the game and you find the Daily Double, you have to bet so that if you are right you move into first place.  First place is soooo valuable when you get to Final Jeopardy.

If you had bet $5500 instead of $5000 you would have won today's game.

I know it is easy for me to criticize from my the comfort of my couch while you were in the thick of the game, but still....this kind of thing bugs me.

• Love 12

I was rooting for Conor & loved Anne's voice. But her habit of leaning forward every time she answered a question was annoying. Jackie is OK; I'm not minding her too much, but will not be devastated when she loses. 

A Roald Dahl category!

• Love 5
22 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

.... The champ looks/acts like Chelsea Handler and Gwyneth Paltrow, two fairly insufferable people, had a baby.

I was way off base, envisioning the love child of Diane Keaton and Tony Robbins. 

Edited by HissyFit
42 minutes ago, Roaster said:

If you had bet $5500 instead of $5000 you would have won today's game.

Yeah, I'm sure that loss is burned into his brain. I could see his thinking, if he tanks that DD he's lost the game. But on the other hand, he lost it anyway by not going big enough to get in first place IF he got the DD correct. Nothing ventured at that point in the game, one has to swim, not sink.

Meanwhile, I copied this from thejeopardyfan.com since Conor is from Rapid City, just a bit more than 20 miles from Mt. Rushmore: "And today seems like a good idea to remind everyone that contestants and clue materials are selected independently of each other by an independent on-set compliance attorney; there are times where coincidences happen."

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

But her habit of leaning forward every time she answered a question

That annoyed me too. I was wondering why she did it. I thought it was if she had an invisible old time mike in front of her and she was leaning down to make sure that she was being heard.

• Love 4
  • Earlier today,  I looked up info on Mount Rushmore because I always found it interesting that the husband of Carrie Ingalls helped name it.    I read a lot on Wikipedia,  so based on the dates on FJ,  I got it right away .  It was pretty cool I was reading the article the same day it was a FJ. 
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

It was about her being in an all-girl band in the 70s, not her rape.  She said that she gets bored easily and that's why she has done so many different things (band, attorney, writer).

Thanks.

I was sad that Fantastic Mr. Fox was a TS!  I've never read the book (boo, hiss!), but I adored the movie.  I also got beating, temptations, and gingko biloba. 

Like Anne, I thought of a highway, too. I said the Blue Ridge Parkway, even though I knew it was wrong, as the last section was finished only fairly recently.  I don't think I would have ever come up with Mt. Rushmore.

• Love 6

I ran the first round other than the Roald Dahl category, at which I was a spectacular failure.  I've heard the name, of course, but apparently I have never read any of his books (or at least not any asked about tonight).

I hadn't seen Jackie until today (or read this forum, since I didn't see the games), and I didn't recognize her by sight, but her name made me think "Where do I know her from?"  She's an attorney in L.A., as am I, so I was searching my brain for a case/cause where I could have read something from her and coming up blank, so I was very happy I actually listened to the interview segment (something I often skip) to have my "A-ha!" moment. 

In her shoes, I'd have been embarrassed by the Martina Navratilova answer (instead of Billie Jean King), especially since she was so sure of it.

Oh, and I grumbled loudly enough to wake up my cat when they went with that helicopter museum category early on; while it worked out, those clues take up a lot of time, so I like when contestants leave them for the end.  Same with the round (can't remember which one) when there was less than a minute to go and quite a few clues left on the board, yet they kept saying the entire category name instead of shortening it.  It worked out then, too, but come on.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

Jackie isn't bothering me as much as before since I find it amusing when she can't think of an answer and gets mad at herself (classic Grundoon behavior) but her getting Billie Jean King wrong with such certainty got me irritated for some reason.

I was wildly guessing with FJ and said the Appalachian Trail. 

And I agree, enough with not clearing boards.  Every category is someone's favorite.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I was rooting for Conor & loved Anne's voice. But her habit of leaning forward every time she answered a question was annoying. Jackie is OK; I'm not minding her too much, but will not be devastated when she loses. 

A Roald Dahl category!

Maybe she's just trying to read the board. As someone with poor eyesight, I probably lean forward more than I realize. Especially with multifocal lenses, where the sweet spot can shift.

10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I ran the first round other than the Roald Dahl category, at which I was a spectacular failure.  I've heard the name, of course, but apparently I have never read any of his books (or at least not any asked about tonight).

I haven't read any either, and was amazed that I ran the category. Movies and general pop culture saved the day, I guess.

• Love 3

I had my first FJ miss in a while last night. I was trying to think of a wall or some sort of memorial, and I never thought of Mt. Rushmore. I had Caspian Sea and Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Conor made a mistake I have seen many times as a long-suffering Eagles fan. (I know last season was amazing, but it was an anomaly.) He played not to lose instead of playing to win. In that situation, you have to go for the lead, even if it's a category with which you struggle.

• Love 7

gingko biloba

I said just "gingko" ... do you think they would have given it to me or would Alex have said "be more specific"?

The buzzer shaker lady from a previous episode - whatever you were doing wasn't working!! Try a different buzzer technique, or as a kid would say "My buzzer isn't working!"

2 minutes ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I said just "gingko" ... do you think they would have given it to me or would Alex have said "be more specific"?

The buzzer shaker lady from a previous episode - whatever you were doing wasn't working!! Try a different buzzer technique, or as a kid would say "My buzzer isn't working!"

I said "gingko" too, but I would have come up with biloba if asked. So I am counting it for me.

• Love 2

I like Jackie, hope she keeps winning.

My ts's last night were temptations, simile, gingko biloba - I said spanking instead of beating - I assume they would have accepted that, but maybe not.

Did not get FJ.  I was trying to think of a bridge or railway but came up with nothing. Then Mr.Trey said Hoover Dam and I thought that sounded good so I went with that too.

• Love 4

I got Mt. Rushmore by thinking each head was dedicated separately, so, four heads, four dedication dates. That's not true but it helped me get the correct answer.

Ginko biloba ... I guess all three players forgot they knew that.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Trey said:

Did not get FJ.  I was trying to think of a bridge or railway but came up with nothing. Then Mr.Trey said Hoover Dam and I thought that sounded good so I went with that too.

I said the Hoover dam too, and the mister thought it sounded good. Oh well. 

• Love 3

I couldn't believe no one knew Mariah Carey. There was an article in today's Boston Globe about what it's like to be on Jeopardy. A Globe copy editor named Carrie will be on tomorrow. She stated that contestants don't have much interaction with Alex. She said that the board is closer to the players than it looks on tv.

• Love 3

I am behind and trying not to read anything until I can get caught up, not spoiling it

But Penny Marshall should be showing up any time on Jeopardy now

I hope I didn't jinx here when I mentioned her as an incorrect answer on FJ recently. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got Mt. Rushmore by thinking each head was dedicated separately, so, four heads, four dedication dates. That's not true but it helped me get the correct answer.

Ginko biloba ... I guess all three players forgot they knew that.

We said the same thing about the ginko biloba..heh. Neither hubby nor I got FJ. Boo hiss

• Love 3

Today's FJ was an instaget for me, so my theory is holding -- either it's an instaget or I am clueless.  But Jackie should have had a BMS for it.  Just Thomas seems inadequate.

There were several TS this game that I managed to get, including Hamburg, Lipton, Harvard, bargain bin, and Lake Okeechobee.  I will brag slightly and say that I did get Lipton before the three contestants all guessed incorrectly.  I was a little surprised that no one knew Hamburg.

• Love 4

I got Hamburg, Harvard, bargain bin, and FJ-Dylan Thomas. I too was surprised no one got Hamburg, but then, I was steeped in Beatles lore as a kid. 

When I saw the FJ category, I started to think of  poets’ bios, but could only come up with Amherst for Dickinson. I was happy when they provided the town and only asked for the name.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Today's FJ was an instaget for me, so my theory is holding -- either it's an instaget or I am clueless.  But Jackie should have had a BMS for it.  Just Thomas seems inadequate.

There were several TS this game that I managed to get, including Hamburg, Lipton, Harvard, bargain bin, and Lake Okeechobee.  I will brag slightly and say that I did get Lipton before the three contestants all guessed incorrectly.  I was a little surprised that no one knew Hamburg.

I also thought Alex should have asked Jackie for more information or a BMS when she answered with one-third of the title of a Beatles album. I like her just fine, but she gave an incomplete answer. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

So I just looked on youtube and found Jackie's Dating Game appearance.  She was using the name Jackie Fox at the time:

Thanks. I was gonna try and track it down later.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Sharpie66 said:

I got Hamburg, Harvard, bargain bin, and FJ-Dylan Thomas. I too was surprised no one got Hamburg, but then, I was steeped in Beatles lore as a kid. 

I got those along with Lipton, Harvard, "make the most of it", and Okechobee.

1 hour ago, harrie said:

I also thought Alex should have asked Jackie for more information or a BMS when she answered with one-third of the title of a Beatles album. I like her just fine, but she gave an incomplete answer. 

If memory serves, we debated this some time ago when "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" was a FJ answer. I forget if the show accepted "Sgt. Pepper" as the answer. It seems to be an acceptable shorthand, the way "Alice in Wonderland" is accepted, rather than "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland," or "Tom Sawyer" and "Huckleberry Finn" instead of "The Adventures of..." 

But Jackie should have had a BMS for it.  Just Thomas seems inadequate.

I thought so too, although offhand I can't think of other poets with the last name of Thomas. (Kit Thomas?)

I had the opposite reaction to "Fifty Shades of Gray." The clue specified "this trilogy," of which "Fifty Shades of Gray" is only part 1. Shouldn't the correct answer be "Fifty Shades"?

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 9

Ugh! I really liked Trisha and I really dislike Jackie. Please lose!

Tonight I got Hamburg, Harvard, and bargain bin.

I groaned when the FJ category was revealed. I have loathed poetry since high school (thanks for nothing Mr. Hamilton). Once I saw the clue, I immediately thought Welsh/Wales, so the answer was easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Did Alex really not understand Eric's drawing? 

11 hours ago, teebax said:

Conor made a mistake I have seen many times as a long-suffering Eagles fan. (I know last season was amazing, but it was an anomaly.)

But, but, but St. Nick is back. It's going to be a Christmas miracle.

#FlyEaglesFly

• Love 5
1 hour ago, harrie said:

I also thought Alex should have asked Jackie for more information or a BMS when she answered with one-third of the title of a Beatles album.

She got away with that, yet when the man player answered "Arizona," Trebek shouted "NO!" and Jackie (I think) buzzed in with University of Arizona. Arizona should have either been accepted or the player asked for BMS. Other times judges have been fine with university answers of just the state. We've had extended discussions about just that topic here.

Judging on this show is manic depressive. Never know which end of the spectrum a player is going to get.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Today's FJ was an instaget for me

For me too! It was obviously Welsh, so I immediately shouted "RABBIE BURNS!" and was so excited and happy that I got another FJ this week. Too late it sunk in (like when the answer was revealed) that Burns is Scottish. As a Scot myself, I am shamed.

• Love 9

As a Carleton graduate I got the answer correct despite having never heard of “The Book of Knowledge” trophy. Google tells me it started the year I graduated but I attended 0 football games during my 4 years so I probably wouldn’t have known if it had been a longer tradition.

Edited by biakbiak
2 hours ago, Roaster said:

So I just looked on youtube and found Jackie's Dating Game appearance. 

OMG, great find Roaster. Jackie looked great and also looked like Malibu Barbie. (Her hair hasn't aged well though.) Bach No. 1 was a real dickweed, then it turns out he likes horses. Go figure. She picked the right bach IMO, although since he's an "actor," I'm guessing there was no second date, and he used this same clip in his portfolio.

Jackie could be holding some reality-show-appearance record. I've lost track of how many shows she's been on.

• Love 2

Jackie has a nice range of knowledge. When Eric was so sharp in the math category, I thought he's do outstanding in the rest of the game, but no.

I wasn't paying complete attention thruout the game, but I got plus-fours and the DD of bargain bin.

FJ was almost an instaget; I just had to dig into my brain to retrieve Dylan Thomas.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Jackie has a nice range of knowledge.

I got plus-fours and the DD of bargain bin.

I like Jackie.

I was surprised no-one got plus-fours, but it did allow Alex to be smuggity smug. 

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Did Alex really not understand Eric's drawing? 

I laughed pretty hard at his reaction; it took me a while to decipher what the hell that "drawing" meant when it first started showing up in posts here.  And then when I did, I thought, "Duh!"  But the drawing had more detail than appears in text online, and the contestant even demonstrated.  Silly Alex.

Casserole and hyperbole kind of surprised me as a TS, but that was it for the night.

Lake Okeechobee is an answer I perpetually stumble over since The X-Files, which early on included an episode set on Lake Okoboji.  Whenever I attempt to answer the former, I have to concentrate lest the latter come out.  Similarly, when ginkgo biloba was an answer last night, I had to take care not to say "ginkgo balboa," thanks to a malaprop by Andy on Major Crimes that was the source of much amusement.  And that's in my living room.  If I had to spit either out on the show, I'd speak so deliberately and probably laugh while doing so that I'd come off like a nut.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:

But the drawing had more detail than appears in text online, and the contestant even demonstrated.  Silly Alex.

People on the show have trouble writing words clearly sometimes, and he cleanly draws that.  Reminds me of those people that became Etch-A-Sketch experts.

• Love 1