Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Francesco reminds me of Alex Jacob.

The only TSs I got were morphine and Will Hayes. Instead of Divine Comedy I said Dante's Inferno. Instead of Charlie Parker I said Charlie Bird.

For FJ I came up with Addis Abba, which I'm sure would have been ruled incorrect.

• Love 6

I don't really think a satellite is the same as a telescope, but who am I to disagree with the Jeopardy judges?

I kind of felt the ex-champ might be a one and done. Too bad.

I didn't even have a guess for FJ. 

• Love 5

I got the Hard Rock stadium clue immediately because of the awesome last minute defeat of the Patriots there yesterday, though I probably would have come up with it because they said Joe Robbie.

i guessed final Jeopardy when the category was revealed.

• Love 3

Instead of Divine Comedy I said Dante's Inferno

And I said Paradise Frickin' Lost.

I guess Will Hayes was 'before their time.' It was kind of before my time, too, but sheesh!

As for Aida, they love Carmen almost as often. 

Which reminds me. TeeBax, if you're ever in doubt about anything,  just say, "Who is Edgar Allan Poe?"

• Love 3

One of the responses was Alexander Hamilton - and it had NOTHING to do with the musical. I was stunned!  (Although, I did, through clenched teeth, say "Aaron Burr". The response is always supposed to be Burr if it's about Hamilton the person.)

When the FJ category was revealed, I started shouting out (living alone is good) two-word capitals through the long commercial break, but never came up with Addis Ababa, until it would have been too late for me to write the answer. I'm not good with African or Asian capitals.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

When the FJ category was revealed, I started shouting out (living alone is good) two-word capitals through the long commercial break, but never came up with Addis Ababa, until it would have been too late for me to write the answer. I'm not good with African or Asian capitals.

I'm terrible with capitals in general - but as luck would have it, I shouted out Addis Abbiba. (for us it's okay to shout out if the FJ clue hasn't been revealed yet - but not once it has). We only came up with a few other two word capitals - but I stuck with the first reaction.

Was it just me, or did the new champion mangle "Clinton" by adding another syllable. The mister and I were sure they were going to take back the money - but no.

10 hours ago, SHD said:

I don't really think a satellite is the same as a telescope, but who am I to disagree with the Jeopardy judges?=

I don't know enough about the actual telescope, but yeah, that one was a bit of a head scratcher.

12 hours ago, teebax said:

It was was a pretty unremarkable game for me, but I did have The English Patient, morphine, Nietzsche, Charlie Parker, and FJ in an instaget.

My only knowledge of the English Patient is through the Seinfeld episode, so I didn't get it.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I guess Will Hayes was 'before their time.' It was kind of before my time, too, but sheesh!

I knew of the Hayes Code and figured since the category was Will (something) then the name was Will Hayes. I'm not sure if you had to say 'Will.' 

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I misunderstood the clue at first and thought it was a capital that no longer existed. Then I came up with Addis Abba. Mamma Mia! (Hee, Opus.)

16 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Was it just me, or did the new champion mangle "Clinton" by adding another syllable. The mister and I were sure they were going to take back the money - but no.

Yeah, he said something like Clinton-ton or Clinton-ic, which seemed like a stutter. Still, I too thought Alex would ask him to say it again, the right way.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, SHD said:

I don't really think a satellite is the same as a telescope, but who am I to disagree with the Jeopardy judges?

At the least, it deserved a BMS, since it's not just any old satellite.

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of Divine Comedy I said Dante's Inferno.

I was quite sure of myself when I said Dante's Inferno.

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

One of the responses was Alexander Hamilton - and it had NOTHING to do with the musical. I was stunned!

We saw Hamilton about a month ago, so it reminded me that he was the first Treasury Secretary.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of Divine Comedy I said Dante's Inferno.

I was wondering if they would have accepted that.  The Inferno is the first part of the The Divine Comedy, and is frequently read on its own.

• Love 4

Dante's Inferno is the first part of The Divine Comedy; it is followed by Purgatorio and Paradiso. Many people, and I would be among those people, only remember Inferno and forget it is just part of the whole poem.

My only ts was morphine but I did get FJ.

eta: pipped by MrAtoz.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Was it just me, or did the new champion mangle "Clinton" by adding another syllable.

Most definitely he did add a syllable. But ... judges. They ding no "s" on Hungry Hippos but a whole new syllable on "Clinton" is okay. Whimsy.

5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

My only knowledge of the English Patient is through the Seinfeld episode, so I didn't get it.

I love that movie so got it immediately. Everyone makes fun of it for being tedious, ala Seinfeld, so I guess that says something about me. Billy Crystal hosted the Oscars that year, and his intro parody film featured the EP plane crash. I can still picture that, too.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, SHD said:

don't really think a satellite is the same as a telescope, but who am I to disagree with the Jeopardy judges?

I think it’s mainly because it was a poorly worded question where both answers fit.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Most definitely he did add a syllable. But ... judges. They ding no "s" on Hungry Hippos but a whole new syllable on "Clinton" is okay. Whimsy.

I love that movie so got it immediately. Everyone makes fun of it for being tedious, ala Seinfeld, so I guess that says something about me. Billy Crystal hosted the Oscars that year, and his intro parody film featured the EP plane crash. I can still picture that, too.

Oh, now that you mention it, I remember that Oscar intro. Billy was the best. I miss him every year.

2 hours ago, ABay said:

The new champ reminds me of a cross between Weird Al and Velazquez on El Ministerio del Tiempo.

image.png.df6944dacc0d5f0b3719ea29dd19e9a0.png

image.png.475f960c41f22b69ca247bd51d833a54.png

I got the weird Al part, but shame on me for missing Velasquez. Great show.

• Love 3

I liked John until the clue said “harvest moon” and he said vernal equinox.  Come on man.

Ohhhhh Nicole’s nervous laughter!  I was so glad it seemed to dissipate a little by the end of the game since she’s coming back.  And then I felt badly for being annoyed by it because a. she made Jeopardy! and I didn’t and b. she probably can’t do a damn thing about it.

But also her first two answers were terrible guesses and she can do something about that.

I have about as much knowledge of Bible Books as I do about cold fusion so FJ was a bunch of words on the screen.

In “The judges are inconsistent category,” why would they make Governor a BMS for John Kasich?  

Congrats @teebax!

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 6

Congratulations to Nicole for going from "in the red" to victory. I feared she would be one of those contestants digging themselves deeper and deeper into the hole. What do you want to bet her slow start is the first thing Alex mentions tomorrow? I also liked her story about being on toy boxes.

I knew portmanteau, tarragon, Thomas Nast, and Tolstoy among the TS's. FJ gave me some pause; Psalms cam to me after I considered Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, and Song of Songs, 

• Love 6

Last night all I got was 2022.  I said Abu Dhabi for FJ, with zero confidence.  I wasn't even sure it was a capital, but they were the only two words I could come up with.  

Tonight I got China and FJ.  I know diddly squat about the Bible, but for whatever reason I thought the answer was fairly obvious. 

• Love 2

Another instaget FJ for me!  I seem either to know them immediately or not at all.

I didn’t see the Weird Al resemblance last night, but I couldn’t unsee it tonight.  I don’t think I’ll miss Francesco.

TS I got include tarragon, Nast, Stan, H.P. Lovecraft, and Ellison.

• Love 3

Quite a few “really?” TS and incorrect guesses tonight as the game got going.  Thankfully, things picked up a good bit, because the first half of the first round was painful; I think Alex was wondering how the hell these people made it onto the show. 

Even though things were flowing much better, given their propensity for dumb guesses, I just knew one of them was going to guess vernal instead of autumnal equinox.

I loved the de-cap-itate ‘em category; I love vocabulary categories in general, and that one particularly tickled me.

I'd have, as always with anything related to religion, bet zero on FJ, but I actually knew a psalm was a hymn, so I got it.

• Love 3

Admittedly I don’t eat a lot of tuna salad at restaurants (too much mayo) but I have never seen it with tarragon. I did get the clue because I love bernaise sauce. I will have to try it next time I have tarragon. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I love that movie so got it immediately. Everyone makes fun of it for being tedious, ala Seinfeld, so I guess that says something about me. 

I love The English Patient, too. I mean, Ralph Fiennes and Kristin Scott Thomas? Sexiness overload. But I liked the movie for other reasons, too.

Tonight I got Nast, Tolstoy, and the DD of China. 

I thought FJ was very obvious, almost too obvious, and I spent part of the time trying to think what else it could be. Maybe I know more about the Bible than I thought I did.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Admittedly I don’t eat a lot of tuna salad at restaurants (too much mayo) but I have never seen it with tarragon. I did get the clue because I love bernaise sauce.

I don't eat bearnaise sauce because I hate egg yolks, but tarragon is a must-have ingredient when I make chicken salad sandwiches from leftover roasted chicken breast, so that plus the recesses of my brain knowledge of what's in bearnaise other than the dreaded yolks made it spring to mind.  And then I second-guessed myself before checking the answer as I, too, have never made or been served tuna salad with tarragon.  But the clue was specifically about tuna pasta salad, and I don't eat pasta salads (other than my mom's macaroni salad), so maybe that specific application is a traditional tarragon recipe we're both unfamiliar with.

If it's opera, it's Aida. If it's Russian authors, it's Tolstoy. Don't Jeptestants watch the show? (TeeBax does - heh!)

I bet nothing for FJ because...well, hell, the bible... all I know is Exodus and that's because of Leon Uris. I've read Exodus a bazillion times, but I digress...

So <g>, I guessed psalms. The story of my life.

• Love 3
On 12/10/2018 at 8:24 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Is having a category that’s Alex-centric becoming the new norm? Last week it was his medical records and today it was “I’m Not Retiring”. I cannot recall Art Fleming ever making anything about himself. Perhaps Alex’s brain contusion has left him a little greedy for attention. 

Fleming was star (he insisted on being introduced as the star of Jeopardy) for just 11 years.  Trebek has hosted since 1984, 35 seasons, and just signed on for another, what, four seasons?  So if TPTB want to make a category about Alex, I'd say he's earned it.  Not that I want to see him as a subject of a category too often.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

I liked John until the clue said “harvest moon” and he said vernal equinox.  Come on man.

Ohhhhh Nicole’s nervous laughter!  I was so glad it seemed to dissipate a little by the end of the game since she’s coming back.  And then I felt badly for being annoyed by it because a. she made Jeopardy! and I didn’t and b. she probably can’t do a damn thing about it.

But also her first two answers were terrible guesses and she can do something about that.

I have about as much knowledge of Bible Books as I do about cold fusion so FJ was a bunch of words on the screen.

In “The judges are inconsistent category,” why would they make Governor a BMS for John Kasich?  

Congrats @teebax!

I said vernal, but I knew it was wrong. I never remember autumnal (which should be easy for goodness sake).

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I love The English Patient, too. I mean, Ralph Fiennes and Kristin Scott Thomas? Sexiness overload. But I liked the movie for other reasons, too.

Tonight I got Nast, Tolstoy, and the DD of China. 

I thought FJ was very obvious, almost too obvious, and I spent part of the time trying to think what else it could be. Maybe I know more about the Bible than I thought I did.

I first thought of Song of Solomon - have no idea if it's a book in the OT or not - but since the clue had "song" in it (or something like it) I decided that wasn't it. But I knew Psalms were songs (or at least have been used as songs in some churches I've attended). It wasn't an instaget, but it was a pretty quick get.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:33 PM, Bastet said:

In the “dreaded opera category,” I always bet zero of my imaginary dollars, and that would have been a sound bet tonight for FJ.  Now, this was actually one I could have come up with had I been given more time to think, but opera remains one of those things I'd have to study like crazy if I were going to compete against someone other than my cat.  

I always bet all of my imaginary money, and usually win, but the last time it happened, I couldn't come up with Enrico Caruso to save my life.  Had no problem with Aida, though.

I called my best friend on Monday night to tell her about Francesco; she used to work with someone who lives in Lititz.  So of course he lost last night.  But good on the lady in the middle for bringing it home in DJ and betting big on FJ.  Which I came up with because David played the harp.  (Usually I don't do well with Bible categories.)

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 1:25 PM, Trey said:

I got the FJ of Iran Thursday because I remember hearing that the word Iran came from Aryan - I am pretty sure that was another FJ several years ago.  So, apparently, I learned something from Jeopardy!:)

I knew the majority of Iranians are ethnically Persian, but the Aryan connection is a pretty good way to get there as well.  It's always cool when you learn something from Jeopardy.

I got Psalms because of the David/harp connection, but had a lot of stupid misses including not coming up with Tolstoy.  I kept saying "not Chekov, the other one" - think they'd have accepted that? lol.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:10 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

One of the responses was Alexander Hamilton - and it had NOTHING to do with the musical. I was stunned!  (Although, I did, through clenched teeth, say "Aaron Burr". The response is always supposed to be Burr if it's about Hamilton the person.)

I did the same thing, although I did come up with Addis Ababa after the clue was revealed.

16 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Admittedly I don’t eat a lot of tuna salad at restaurants (too much mayo) but I have never seen it with tarragon. I did get the clue because I love bernaise sauce. I will have to try it next time I have tarragon. 

I said dill because that's what I put in tuna salad, and because I know less than nothing about bernaise sauce.

11 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

If it's opera, it's Aida.

Unless it's Mozart, in which case it's either the Magic Flute or the Marriage of Figaro.

And good luck with your audition, Teebax!  If you make it, you'll have to do something so we know it's you.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:18 PM, MrAtoz said:

I was wondering if they would have accepted that.  The Inferno is the first part of the The Divine Comedy, and is frequently read on its own.

I would think so because the Inferno is the part where the quote actually comes from. 

I, like many I am sure, had to read The Inferno in high school lit. 

Even our teacher for the class said the Purgatorio and Paradisio just become too complicated to read, at least for the high school level. 

Somehow that same reasons didn't get us out of reading Goethe's Faust though

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:43 PM, SHD said:

I kind of felt the ex-champ might be a one and done. Too bad.

I didn't even have a guess for FJ. 

Really should have been a BMS, I suppose, for the telescope. 

Any object that orbits the earth I think could be referred to as a satellite, so yes, the telesecope is a satellite, but I think they were going for the specific type of satellite, that being a telescope satellite. 

But yes, obviously we are now Jeopardy judges, so who are we to argue?  (even though that never stops us)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ABay said:

I guessed Psalms because the clue said it from Greek and ps at the beginning of a word is a Greek thing. 

I didn't think about it that hard

'Psalms' sounds kind of like 'songs', and the verses are kind of like little song verses, so I went with that

Plus I couldn't think of any other bible book that would make sense

• Love 5

Just got caught up on this week’s eps. I got 2022, Saudi Arabia, Hays, FJ-Addis Ababa for Monday, and Nast, DD-China, Ellison, FJ-Psalms for yesterday.

In high school back in the early ‘80s, I read Donald Johansen’s book Lucy: the Beginnings of Humankind about his hominid finds in Ethiopia in the ‘70s. I learned a lot about the country and the headaches of the bureaucracy in Addis Ababa. I just recently got to know that Jeddah was Saudi Arabia’s second largest city by reading articles on Trump’s pre-2016 intentions to build there. 

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

so yes, the telesecope is a satellite,

But the telescope is just one component of this satellite and it’s actually the other parts of the satellite  that aren’t the telescope that transmit the images back to Earth which was the question so to me it’s not a BMS, it’s a poorly written clue.

• Love 2

I was stunned I got a SciFi TV answer correct in an instaget! 

New champ was really excited, which I get, but middle guy didn't seem to appreciate it. I get that, too, but he looked really irritated. This is a big fear of mine, if I make the show. I wear my emotions on my sleeve. I don't want to look pissy if I lose. 

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, teebax said:

I was stunned I got a SciFi TV answer correct in an instaget! 

New champ was really excited, which I get, but middle guy didn't seem to appreciate it. I get that, too, but he looked really irritated. This is a big fear of mine, if I make the show. I wear my emotions on my sleeve. I don't want to look pissy if I lose. 

It hasn’t shown yet here, but somewhere else I saw a semi-spoiler along the lines of “watch final jeopardy tomorrow! It’s a sci-fi clue!” Looking forward to it now!

oh and also, good luck!

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, teebax said:

New champ was really excited, which I get, but middle guy didn't seem to appreciate it. I get that, too, but he looked really irritated. 

He did hug her, in case you missed that brief moment. He was probably disappointed, but I didn't see irritation. 

Since we're talking about him, I got a major Jack Black vibe from him. Liked all of our contestants today.

• Love 6

I was ok with Alana’s (? I didn’t see it written out) interview.  Then Andy inserted himself into it and then had what I am sure he thought was a just precious story which I found obnoxious.

Then.  THEN.  Because I am an old crone, Nicole’s story that she is “related” to Meghan Markle made me want to burn everything to the ground.

I get that sororities are national but cod’s sack. They didn’t even go to the same school!

Ok, I’m done being a killjoy.

I WANT TO GO TO THE ARCTIC.  I NEED to win that contest.

I said Ferengi for FJ because I am dumb.

• Love 5

Nice going, Elana!  I'm glad her gutsy wagers paid off.  I'm not a fan of Jack Black, so it didn't hurt my feelings that middle guy lost.  And I know I'm totally profiling him, but it surprised me that he didn't get FJ immediately -- he just seemed like a sci-fi nerd (I promise I'm not putting him down -- I'm a sci-fi nerd, too!).  And FJ was another instaget for me.  Dude, the Vulcans are from Vulcan.

Former champ made exactly the right bet, though.

I also got Florence Joyner (and it's nice to know that FloJo would have been accepted), and Medicare.

• Love 8

GFY Elena. She took risks and they paid off with the win. It kept the game from being a runaway and I was also surprised that Andy in the middle didn’t get FJ. I got Medicare cards, art nouveau, Up on the Roof (which is now an ear worm) and FJ. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, teebax said:

I don't want to look pissy if I lose. 

Go ahead and look pissy. No one here will notice. *cough*

Speaking of noticing, no one noticed the misspelled clue: "whem I'm older"? Still, Trebek read it as "when." Ruined my fun.

When I saw the FJ category, I thought "Great, it better not be Sci Fy Channel. How about Star Trek." Then the clue! I just watched Next Generation last night, the episode where Riker and the alien of Worf's species are traded to learn about each other's commands. I kept thinking, "Worf, Worf, Worf, Worf is a ... ROMULAN!" So came up with the correct answer!

The only problem with that is, Worf is a Klingon. GO FIGURE! I'm so dumb I'm smart.

p.s. I'm watching Next Generation right now. Live long and prosper, ya'll.

• Love 6

I feel old and sad that Up On The Roof was a TS and I very much wish the tune would now leave my head.

I guessed correctly at FJ based on limited Star Trek knowledge and Remus and Romulus.

On a completely side note Sabre5055, I once met the actor who played Worf - very nice and quite handsome.  

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

On a completely side note Sabre5055, I once met the actor who played Worf - very nice and quite handsome.  

Michael Dorn! So jealous! Wish I had been able to go to a ST convention "back in the day." Worf is a favorite of mine.

3 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Vulcans!  Seriously!

Not a horrible guess. The Romulans are biological cousins of the Vulcans. Their ancestors left the planet Vulcan during The Time of Awakening (blame it on Surak!) and moved to the planets Romulus and Remus. So, they would still be Vulcans if they hadn't moved out. They still look Vulcan-esque. It just didn't fit the clue, although it made more sense than Klingon.

• Love 2

I first thought of Vulcans, but then I thought, no, they're from the planet Vulcan. (Are they?) Anyway, I didn't get FJ, but I kicked myself when Romulans was revealed as the correct answer. DOH!

I got Medicare, Florence Griffith Joyner, and Art Nouveau, though I got the last two only after an incorrect guess by a contestant.