Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

However, I thought he should have been dinged for Daylight Savings Time -- that's not correct.  It's Daylight Saving Time, much like the book of the Bible is Revelation, not Revelations. 

Funny, but before Dave answered, I was thinking that there was a right and a wrong way to say thing, but when he answered, I couldn't remember what they were and assumed he said it right.

I got Dopey, one time zone, fast break, and Becky Sharpe. I didn't know FJ and knew anything I said would be a WAG.

I'm really liking Dave.

8 minutes ago, teebax said:

I just received my audition invitation. I'm going to audition in LA on January 17th!!! I'm so excited!!!!!

OMG @teebax I am as excited as you are! Tell us all about it when you get back. Or while you are there! I can't wait to hear. From all your practice on PTV, you should do well. Remember to practice buzzing in with a toiler-paper-roll holder! GOOD LUCK!

• Love 5

Congratulations and best of luck!  I think you will find auditioning to be a fun experience.  Wear something you're comfortable in (but still nice-looking); you'll be there awhile.  Try to relax (I know, easy for me to say, right?), and have a good time.

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, teebax said:

I just received my audition invitation. I'm going to audition in LA on January 17th!!! I'm so excited!!!!!

Yay, @teebax ! The Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers With the No Boo Hiss Players and the Alber Camoo Dancers will all be rooting for you!

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 19

Yay, @Teebax!! Good luck!

Luckily, Chicago did rerun the show in the wee hours, so I just watched it on my lunch break. I ended up getting 15th century, 14th century, Dopey, one time zone, and FJ-Iran. I ran the centuries category but almost completely missed the hoops one, only getting Charles Barkley. 

• Love 2

Pat annoyed me.....even though part of it may not have been her fault.  She picked and talked slow.  She sounded like Diane Rehm, so I wonder if she has a speech disorder like spasmodic dysphonia. 

Agree about Daylight SAVING Time.  As Gary Cole reminds us on VEEP, its neither plural nor possessive

• Love 4
1 hour ago, teebax said:

Looking forward to ripping on you.

(Hey, everyone else is being nice. Someone's gotta be snarky here :) )

• Love 12
1 hour ago, teebax said:

I am so chuffed for you. Keep us posted of the details, enjoy yourself and good luck. May the categories be with you. 

• Love 6
48 minutes ago, opus said:

(Hey, everyone else is being nice. Someone's gotta be snarky here :) )

Ha ha. Opus made me laugh. I originally was going to post you need to wear a low-cut top and no bra (or a too-large bra stuffed with padding) plus dangling huge ear rings when you get accepted to be on the show. Don't wash your hair, grow a moustache (!) and be sure to pick clues from the center of the board first. Wear uneven shoes so you sway back and forth, and you'll ring in faster if you hold the buzzer over your head and jerk it around as much as possible. And always speak with vocal fry, whatever that is. Or speak with a fake French accent to get Trebek on your side. I'm sure you already know all of these things.

I'll leave your interview stories up to you, although I'm sure others here can help you.

• Love 12

Thanks for the love and support, everyone. I'm going to spend the next month practicing and studying categories in which I struggle. Classical music, art, ballet, and royalty, here I come! 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, opus said:

:D

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I originally was going to post you need to wear a low-cut top and no bra (or a too-large bra stuffed with padding) plus dangling huge ear rings when you get accepted to be on the show. Don't wash your hair, grow a moustache (!) and be sure to pick clues from the center of the board first. Wear uneven shoes so you sway back and forth, and you'll ring in faster if you hold the buzzer over your head and jerk it around as much as possible. And always speak with vocal fry, whatever that is. Or speak with a fake French accent to get Trebek on your side.

Don't forget the finger-guns!

• Love 8

Don't forget to start all of your sentences with "So...".  Be sure to ask for all the clues by the entire category name for that dollar amount please, Alex, and definitely tell an endless story at the interview segment so the board doesn't get cleared.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Yay, @teebax ! The Kit Carson Before Your Time All-Star Jeopardy Orchestra featuring the Good For You Rhythm Section and the Women Authors Singers With the No Boo Hiss Players and the Alber Camoo Dancers will all be rooting for you!

Perhaps The Orchestra can be in the audience...

• Love 6

Heh.  I got FJ right only because I know Jeopardy! loves Aida.  When in doubt about opera, guess Aida!  LOL

I was surprised they missed lemongrass -- citratus in the species name led me to citrus, which got me to lemon.  I also got gonzo and foxtail. 

Congrats to the new champ, who was fine up until she did her victory dancing at the end.

15 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Arrgh! Daylight savings is okay, but Hungry Hungry Hippo is not? Do we have different teams of judges on different days?

I thought the same thing!  Both are equally incorrect!

• Love 4

I didn’t like Alex’s interview with Nick when he was comparing his build to that of his sons (in the same sport of weightlifting/power lifting). It was unkind of Alex to put the focus on his son. Also what was with Nick’s sweater? Did it has a small tear or was that an overstretched buttonhole? 

Yay. A board finally got cleared. 

I got Gonzo-journalism, Estonia and Aida for FJ. I had just seen that opera a month ago. Good but long. 

Cheers to Staci for the win. She’s fast and pretty accurate. Not so sad to see the Walrus mustache go although he was a good player. 

Last thing. A whole category on Alex’s medical history. Spare me. 

• Love 8

I missed a good chunk of the first round (after missing last night's entirely), so based on the abbreviated game I saw, Manolo Blahnik, lemongrass, and foxtail were the TS that surprised me (and they were all clues I got not because I knew the specific fact at hand, but because the category and/or the clue within the clue got me there).  Lemongrass was the most surprising, because they're spotted the grass and then there's something pointing to citrus in the clue; duh.

I liked the category about Alex's medical file; I love medical condition categories, and tying the clues to Alex's specific ailments was kind of fun.

In the “dreaded opera category,” I always bet zero of my imaginary dollars, and that would have been a sound bet tonight for FJ.  Now, this was actually one I could have come up with had I been given more time to think, but opera remains one of those things I'd have to study like crazy if I were going to compete against someone other than my cat.  

I liked the new champ's reaction to winning on a correct answer and big wager.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Heh.  I got FJ right only because I know Jeopardy! loves Aida. 

I thought, "Is it Aida? I'm pretty sure it's a one-word title, and I think it's Aida, but I'm not positive. Oh heck. I'm saying Aida."

I was surprised they missed lemongrass -- citratus in the species name led me to citrus, which got me to lemon. 

I kinda guessed lemongrass, but I didn't pay attention to 'citrates'. I was lucky.

Congrats to the new champ, who was fine up until she did her victory dancing at the end.

I liked her dancing. It seemed genuine, showing that she was excited to have won.

Besides lemongrass, I got Gonzo and foxtail.

• Love 8

Sorry to see Dave go but $100,000+ in 4 days is certainly impressive. Staci seems OK so far (victory dance notwithstanding), and was fast on the buzzer and had a good knowledge base. 

Samir was nice for eye candy, and I forgave his pointing. Eye candy forgives much in my shallow little world..lol He & Pat both got GFY <drink, drink> Thursday's TS gets were 15th century; 14th century; Dopey; one time zone; villa; Becky Sharpe. I got FJ thanks to the "mistakenly called Arab" part of the clue. 

Dave got a well-deserved GFY <drink> for his work with Working Warriors. Sounds like a great cause. The only TS I got Friday was lemongrass, but I learned the function of tonsils. As the daughter & spouse of pediatricians, not to mention mom of 3, I feel like it is something I should have known. But neither I nor my kids have had them removed, and I've never asked about their function, so that's my story & I'm sticking to it! FJ was an instaget - 5 of 5 for the week for the second week in a row! Whoot!

On 12/6/2018 at 7:01 PM, Browncoat said:

I thought he should have been dinged for Daylight Savings Time -- that's not correct.  It's Daylight Saving Time, much like the book of the Bible is Revelation, not Revelations. 

Or Hungry, Hungry Hippos

11 hours ago, teebax said:

So excited for you!!! You've received some excellent advice ;-) I will have to insist on a PTV shoutout written with your FJ answer. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

Sorry to see Dave go but $100,000+ in 4 days is certainly impressive. Staci seems OK so far (victory dance notwithstanding), and was fast on the buzzer and had a good knowledge base. 

Samir was nice for eye candy, and I forgave his pointing. Eye candy forgives much in my shallow little world..lol He & Pat both got GFY <drink, drink> Thursday's TS gets were 15th century; 14th century; Dopey; one time zone; villa; Becky Sharpe. I got FJ thanks to the "mistakenly called Arab" part of the clue. 

Dave got a well-deserved GFY <drink> for his work with Working Warriors. Sounds like a great cause. The only TS I got Friday was lemongrass, but I learned the function of tonsils. As the daughter & spouse of pediatricians, not to mention mom of 3, I feel like it is something I should have known. But neither I nor my kids have had them removed, and I've never asked about their function, so that's my story & I'm sticking to it! FJ was an instaget - 5 of 5 for the week for the second week in a row! Whoot!

Or Hungry, Hungry Hippos

So excited for you!!! You've received some excellent advice ;-) I will have to insist on a PTV shoutout written with your FJ answer. 

Congratulations! That day is also the birthday of Michelle Obama and my niece Sarah so it has plenty of positive energy.

I am shocked they did not take "hemorrhage" when the 'answer' was hematoma.  They are the same thing, basically.  On is just active bleeding and the other a collection of blood, same idea, and you can't technically tell a "hemorrhage" from a "hematoma" on a single CT. 

I thought for sure they would correct that before FJ, but they didn't.  And it made a $4000 difference and was the determining factor in who was ahead going into FJ, which they both got correct.

I have a feeling he will be one they "invite back" to try again for that reason. 

Good look Teebax!

• Love 4
17 hours ago, teebax said:

Thanks for the love and support, everyone. I'm going to spend the next month practicing and studying categories in which I struggle. Classical music, art, ballet, and royalty, here I come! 

For Classical Music, it helped me to develop a crush on one of the Atanta Symphony's musicians. Learned a LOT about music. And unrequited lust.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, teebax said:

don't forget to work on wagering aswell cause that is a big part of the game aswell and something that has bitten many players in the past.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, teebax said:

I'm excited for you!

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Heh.  I got FJ right only because I know Jeopardy! loves Aida.  When in doubt about opera, guess Aida!  LOL=

Once again my feed crapped out in the middle and returned in time for FJ - but not long enough to hear the answer. But the mister got it - despite knowing nothing about opera - since it is a Jeopardy favorite (yet still not entrenched in my mind).  We missed the Alex's medical history category. I'll have to look it up.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I am shocked they did not take "hemorrhage" when the 'answer' was hematoma.

Was the category a certain number of letters? I cannot remember.

I hope we have not jinxed @teebax by "ass"uming she has made it to the show. Gotta pass that interview thing first. Crossing fingers and tossing salt over my left shoulder to help the cause. (Although your ability to mime might be a plus to the interviewers.)

• Love 3

Congratulations @teebax!! I will be rooting for you.

I got the FJ of Iran Thursday because I remember hearing that the word Iran came from Aryan - I am pretty sure that was another FJ several years ago.  So, apparently, I learned something from Jeopardy!:)

My only ts last night was lemon grass and I wondered why none of them even  guessed at it.

I did get last night's FJ, wasn't positive Aida was right but was fairly sure.

I liked Dave well enough but Staci seems okay too, so congrats to her.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Was the category a certain number of letters? I cannot remember.

I hope we have not jinxed @teebax by "ass"uming she has made it to the show. Gotta pass that interview thing first. Crossing fingers and tossing salt over my left shoulder to help the cause. (Although your ability to mime might be a plus to the interviewers.)

No, it was the category about Alex's medical problems

• Love 2
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I prefer to think we are being optimistic about our friend @teebax's chances to make it on the show. And *when* she does, we can talk about how much we love her without any winks. Let's call it the PTV exception. See also @MrAtoz et al

• Love 7

I've been absent recently, extremely very busy training my new rescue dog, an American Strafordshire Terrier--also trying to finish writing the book I plan to dedicate to y'all--but I needed to sneak in and congratulate TEEBAX. As my granddaughter would say, "That's sick!" I'm clueless where that's sick came from, however if J! ever has a category on weird tweenie slang. . .  

• Love 7

Is having a category that’s Alex-centric becoming the new norm? Last week it was his medical records and today it was “I’m Not Retiring”. I cannot recall Art Fleming ever making anything about himself. Perhaps Alex’s brain contusion has left him a little greedy for attention. 

• Love 3