Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

I am going against the grain I guess and hate Dave's mustache, so am rooting against him. 

It was wrong obviously, but I liked Kevlar as a guess on FJ.  Give her points for creativity

• Like 10

I knew it would be mentioned here that both women had vocal fry:) I like Dave, so glad he won.

I only got Pope and Mayo Clinic.  Did not get FJ.  The best I could come up with was Stetson and I didn't think that was it.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, teebax said:

I had the pope, dadaism, the Mayo Clinic DD, I had Brooks as an instaget.

ETA kevlar as a response got a chuckle out of me. 

I never, ever, get dadaism. I must have a mental block.

13 hours ago, lb60 said:

I was rooting for Bernadette. Then she missed the DD of Mayo Clinic. Really?!?  So........

Not sure. Didn't they ask for the last name? I don't know what the rule is--maybe since it included the name it would count. The judges are schizo, so who knows what they would decide.

#FlyEaglesFly

When Alex said the answer, Bernadette didn't have that moment of recognition we see so often. I think she didn't know about the Mayo clinic (I didn't get it because it refused to come forward in my brain, even though I knew it).

They did ask for the last name, but as you said, the judges are schizo.

• Like 1

I didn't "know" FJ, but the guys named were apparently brothers, so it wasn't a stretch to recall Brooks Brothers. It was a guess, but a reasoned one. As for them accepting "Brooks Brothers" - I guess the champ didn't think they would, as that's what she crossed out - "BROT..." - she got that far and then realized the clue was asking for the family name.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I am going against the grain I guess and hate Dave's mustache

I'm not a fan either.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

I knew it would be mentioned here that both women had vocal fry:)

I didn't even notice it. Vocal fry is so prevalent that it doesn't bug me anymore.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't even notice it. Vocal fry is so prevalent that it doesn't bug me anymore.

I've become convinced that "vocal fry" is some kind of elaborate prank y'all are playing on me.  I keep hearing people complain about vocal fry as the most horrible thing ever!  I keep clicking on links to clips that supposedly demonstrate it.  And I keep failing to hear anything unusual at all.  It's just people talking!  Whatever it is that gets folks so upset, I just do not hear it.

• Like 15

53 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I've become convinced that "vocal fry" is some kind of elaborate prank y'all are playing on me.  I keep hearing people complain about vocal fry as the most horrible thing ever!  I keep clicking on links to clips that supposedly demonstrate it.  And I keep failing to hear anything unusual at all.  It's just people talking!  Whatever it is that gets folks so upset, I just do not hear it.

I'm with you on this one

I don't hear it and don't know what people are talking about.  Or I guess if I do notice it I ignore it

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I'm with you on this one

I don't hear it and don't know what people are talking about.  Or I guess if I do notice it I ignore it

I never noticed it until someone here pointed it out. They've ruined me! Now I notice it whenever it happens, and it drives me nuts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

Be thankful. 😃 The fry bugs me more with some people than others, and sometimes I don't hear it right away. But once I do, it grates. Never enough for me to turn off Jeopardy though. I watch it to compete with myself and the mister.

• Like 4

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, zoey1996 said:

The Wagon Trains that are currently being shown have John McIntire as Wagon Master Chris Hale.  My grandpa really liked Seth Adams/Ward Bond.

Our favorite Death Valley Days have The Old Ranger Stanley Andrews as the announcer/presenter.  The ads aren't included usually, but I have seen some for 20-Mule-Team Borax.  

I like the later ones with John McIntire because they also have Robert Fuller. <swoon>

I gave several stupid answers last night, although I got pope and the Mayo Clinic, and FJ was an instaget for me.

2 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I don't hear it either, even after having it explained to me several times with examples.  I think we must be lucky.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I never, ever, get dadaism. I must have a mental block.

I must have the same mental block and said cubism although I knew it was wrong. 

Dave’s mustache reminds me of a walrus. 

I got all three DDs, Pope and FJ. I’m on the fence about Dave. We’ll see what tonight brings. 

• Like 6

That was a 'strange" and interesting FJ.....I could not come up with an answer at all, but then when Alex gave the answer, I was like "Oh, Of course"!

• Like 2

Due to circumstances beyond my control (and because life is sucking hard right now) I missed Jeopardy tonight.

<sad>

I checked the archives for FJ and probably wouldn't have gotten it, even though it's one of those "Duh!!" answers once it's revealed.

12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I am going against the grain I guess and hate Dave's mustache, so am rooting against him. 

I don't like it either, but I like him.

11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

When Alex said the answer, Bernadette didn't have that moment of recognition we see so often. I think she didn't know about the Mayo clinic (I didn't get it because it refused to come forward in my brain, even though I knew it).

True. I just think it's one of those things any adult should know, even if you can't get it to come forward in your brain. lol Then again, I'm shocked every single day at what people don't know.  Of course, said people are between the ages of 6 and 10, so there's that.  

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I'm not a fan either.

Come sit by me. :-)

Edited by lb60
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Driad said:

What was the title of the novel(?) about Cotton and Increase Mather?

The play is Safe in Hell by Amy Freed.  It was FEMALE PLAYWRIGHTS $1600

• Like 2

I was happy to see "The NFL" as the FJ category, because they rarely have sports for FJ. I got it quickly even though I didn't see that part of the draft, because the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the only pirate-adjacent NFL team. "The Browns" was a truly terrible guess, god bless her.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I was happy to see "The NFL" as the FJ category, because they rarely have sports for FJ. I got it quickly even though I didn't see that part of the draft, because the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the only pirate-adjacent NFL team. "The Browns" was a truly terrible guess, god bless her.

I was very unhappy to see that subject but luckily I had enough team name knowledge to figure it out. But I think the Browns was no worse of a guess than any other team that wasn't right. Maybe she was thinking they're so terrible that they figured a bird could make picks as well as they could.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

The Browns is actually not a bad guess because generally in the NFL. When you hear something like that happens, its often the Browns involved.  For example, when the Browns met to work out Johnny Manziel before the draft, neither the Browns nor Manziel bothered to bring a football.  To work out a quarterback. Its kind of hard to do without a football.  They had to borrow one somewhere.  Oh yeah, and the even worse part was actually drafting Manziel, in the first round. 

So something like this happens, the Browns aren't a bad guess. 

Many fans often say, out of all the Cleveland Browns in the world, they are the Cleveland Browniest. 

I had heard that story vaguely but still could not come up with the answer, made sense once I heard it. 

• Like 9

I am depressed that The Heidi Chronicles was a TS.  Wendy Wasserstein was one of my favorite modern playwrights and she died much too young.  

The NFL would be one of my nightmare FJ catagories (have loyalty to the Lions but don't know much trivia about other teams) but I guessed at the pirate connection. 

• Like 7

FJ was an instaget for me tonight — parrot led me to pirate, which led me to the Buccaneers.

I almost felt bad for the challengers tonight, until they kept just randomly ringing in with random wild-ass guesses.  Then I started hoping they’d both end up in the red, and Dave would get to play FJ all by himself.  Has that ever happened?

It made me a little sad that no one knew Henry Fonda and Jimmy Stewart.  I got those as well as early and Red Dragon.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was an instaget for me tonight — parrot led me to pirate, which led me to the Buccaneers.

Yes, that's the quick path I took.

I got Week, Red Dragon, and Bruno Mars. I thought it was funny that they had a question with Wyatt Earp, where an answer last week was Tombstone. For that reason I figured it wasn't Tombstone again, but I didn't think of Dodge City. Wasn't Dodge City a guess that other time?

For the 'Wit' clue, I wonder if they would have just accepted cancer. That's what I said, but then Tiffany made the specific guess of breast cancer. Maybe if she'd only said cancer, she would have gotten a BMS.

• Like 4

The Fonda & Stewart, gad, Aruba, and The Red Dragon TS surprised me a little.

Early Start, This Week and Power Lunch all being TS in the news show category didn’t surprise me, but did bum me out a bit even though I don’t watch any of them but had heard of all of them – general ignorance as to news options in this day and age brings me down, so a 2/5 record in the category was, collectively, what gave me pause.

The premise of Wit being a TS made me sad*; it’s a fabulous play.  The same with The Heidi Chronicles, and that was also the TS of the game that full-out surprised me.  I feel like between the baseline of pop culture knowledge expected of the average person who'd go out for J! and the increased average of such knowledge among those chosen to compete on the show, it was reasonable to expect at least one of any given three would know it.

(*I, too, wonder if the contestant who answered "breast cancer" would have been ruled correct had she instead answered "cancer," or have been prompted to BMS (and then been ruled wrong when she picked the "wrong one" of women's cancers).)

The "Flavors" DD answer should have been bitter, not bitters:  Add an S to "this word" meaning acrid and you get a cocktail ingredient means the clue seeks the non-S word meaning acrid, not the word with the S that's a cocktail ingredient. 

The tart clue was sexist crap and they could have found a much better dual-meaning way of getting there.

I’d have bet everything on FJ, and would have doubled my score.  Not an instaget, even for this football fanatic, but very easy to reason my way to.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, lb60 said:

I checked the archives for FJ and probably wouldn't have gotten it, even though it's one of those "Duh!!" answers once it's revealed.

Quoting myself because I'm an idiot and obviously had no idea what I was checking because the question I found had nothing to do with the NFL. 

I might have puzzled my way to the correct answer, since I am a football fan (#FlyEaglesFly), the Bucs are my brother's team, and they broke my heart with a crushing playoff victory over my Eagles at frozen Veterans Stadium. That loss still hurts.

• Like 2

I ended up with Fonda and Stewart, Power lunch, This week, Red Dragon, Kesha, FJ-Buccaneers (only got Kesha because Pentatonix did that song on The Sing-Off back in 2011). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I almost felt bad for the challengers tonight, until they kept just randomly ringing in with random wild-ass guesses.  Then I started hoping they’d both end up in the red, and Dave would get to play FJ all by himself.  Has that ever happened?

There has been an episode where 2 contestants are in the red at the end of DJ and the remaining person has FJ all to herself: 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Was it just me or did barely-got-to-play-FJ woman say Shoeless Jay Jackson instead of Shoeless Joe Jackson?  I may have FFed past the correction.

I rewound twice and it sure did sound like Jay to me as well. There was no correction.

• Like 1

My reasoning for FJ went like this:  Parrot?  Parrothead...what does Jimmy Buffett have to do with the NFL?  So maybe someplace tropical?  Like Miami?  Like the Dolphins?  Probably not it,  Gave up.  Then d'uh when I heard the answer!

I heard Shoeless Joe.  Got Henry Fonda but couldn't come up with Stewart.

I'm with those who don't hear vocal fry.  I know one person IRL who speaks with the fry, so I know what it can sound like, but I never hear it on TV, even when it's pointed out.  Thank the Lord!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got Week, Red Dragon, and Bruno Mars. I thought it was funny that they had a question with Wyatt Earp, where an answer last week was Tombstone. For that reason I figured it wasn't Tombstone again, but I didn't think of Dodge City. Wasn't Dodge City a guess that other time?

For the 'Wit' clue, I wonder if they would have just accepted cancer. That's what I said, but then Tiffany made the specific guess of breast cancer. Maybe if she'd only said cancer, she would have gotten a BMS.

Dodge City was my guess, so I got it this time, and felt vindicated. LOL

I think they would have accepted the less specific cancer.

3 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I heard Shoeless Joe.  Got Henry Fonda but couldn't come up with Stewart.

Me too, which I think is hysterical because "Hank" isn't the name we generally know Fonda by, but "Jim" is Stewart's actual name.

10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I followed the same line - except it led me to the Pittsburgh Pirates (I know, I know, that's baseball - but that's where my mind went, and I haven't kept up with football since before the Bucs were a gleam in someone's eye.) The mister, of course, got it right and had a good laugh.

• Like 1

I followed the same line - except it led me to the Pittsburgh Pirates (I know, I know, that's baseball - but that's where my mind went, and I haven't kept up with football since before the Bucs were a gleam in someone's eye.)

I did guess Buccaneers but then I wasn't 100% positive that it was a football team :-) 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Me too, which I think is hysterical because "Hank" isn't the name we generally know Fonda by, but "Jim" is Stewart's actual name.

I followed the same line - except it led me to the Pittsburgh Pirates (I know, I know, that's baseball - but that's where my mind went, and I haven't kept up with football since before the Bucs were a gleam in someone's eye.) The mister, of course, got it right and had a good laugh.

I got the "Hank and Jim" clue.  I've heard Stewart called "James Stewart" and "Jimmy Stewart," but I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to him as "Jim Stewart."

I got the Buccaneers.  And then I had to hope that would have been enough, since I couldn't remember what city they were in. :-)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Got Henry Fonda but couldn't come up with Stewart.

Me too. I don't really associate the two of them together. I was stuck on another pair, Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster. I was trying to make a Jim out of Burt and came up with James Arness. Which, to my credit, I knew was wrong.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Dodge City was my guess, so I got it this time, and felt vindicated. LOL

You're ahead of your time.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

The tart clue was sexist crap and they could have found a much better dual-meaning way of getting there.

I wish they had at least used "the woman at the bar" instead of the "the girl at the bar." They just had to judge a woman's sexuality AND infantilize her. Thanks, Jeopardy.

I don't know from sports ball teams so I guessed "Who are the Pirates" having no idea if that was even a team much less an NFL team. Ha.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Me too. I don't really associate the two of them together. I was stuck on another pair, Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster. I was trying to make a Jim out of Burt and came up with James Arness. Which, to my credit, I knew was wrong.

It's true that Fonda and Stewart didn't make many films together, but they were lifelong friends.  They roomed together in New York when they were both starting out on Broadway, and again in California after they had gone to Hollywood.  Fonda was a Democrat and Stewart a Republican--they had to agree early on that they would never discuss politics!

• Like 6

18 hours ago, lb60 said:

Quoting myself because I'm an idiot and obviously had no idea what I was checking because the question I found had nothing to do with the NFL. 

I might have puzzled my way to the correct answer, since I am a football fan (#FlyEaglesFly), the Bucs are my brother's team, and they broke my heart with a crushing playoff victory over my Eagles at frozen Veterans Stadium. That loss still hurts.

I flew from Tucson to Philly to see the Eagles lose the Cowboys at home last month. I paid a grip of money and took PTO just to see them lose. What's worse is I got sick that weekend and ended up in the hospital as well. That loss really hurts! Oh, and a lot of my students are Cowboys fans, and they were RELENTLESS when I got back. It's been a frustrating season to be an Eagles fan, but I still love the bird gang.

The NFL is one of the few categories I'd go all in on during FJ if I were a contestant, regardless of circumstances. I don't think they've ever asked a football question I couldn't answer, unlike that recent group of contestants who didn't know any of them. I wish FJ had been a little harder, but I understand they have to account for contestants who aren't into football.

• Like 7

FJ was another instaget for me tonight.  And even though I don’t think she had a chance, even if she had gotten it right and the guys missed it, middle woman’s bet of zero was the right bet to make.

I do wish they’d stop with the board-hopping, but otherwise tonight’s game was pretty good. Not too many TS, though I got Savion Glover, Jack London, and Atlanta.

• Like 3

I got Savion Glover, Manhattan, Jack London, Atlanta, and FJ-Zapruder. And the board-hopping is driving me crazy! I sort of understand it when looking for DD, but why continue doing so after finding them? 

I was just glad they cleared out the Archaeology category. That and human origins/anthropology are on my list of dream Jeopardy categories. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, teebax said:

I flew from Tucson to Philly to see the Eagles lose the Cowboys at home last month. I paid a grip of money and took PTO just to see them lose. What's worse is I got sick that weekend and ended up in the hospital as well. That loss really hurts! Oh, and a lot of my students are Cowboys fans, and they were RELENTLESS when I got back. It's been a frustrating season to be an Eagles fan, but I still love the bird gang.

That's horrible!  On the plus side, there are many good hospitals in Philly. lol  I suggest detention for those students until they come to their senses.  One of the teachers at my school is a huge Dallas fan and we had a few Patriots fans last year for the Super Bowl.  It's never been easy bleeding green, but frustrating is a good way to describe this season.  

Tonight I got Savior Glover, Atlanta, and FJ in an instaget.  

• Like 1

The Manhattan TS caused my eyes to bug out of my head.  Burn rate, Savion Glover, Cuba, and Atlanta were all things I'd have guessed at least one would know, but that's the extent of my reaction.  But Manhattan - wow.  It also surprised me how easy the DDs were (or at least two of the three; I'm blanking on one, but I distinctly remember two of them prompting a "Really, that is a DD?" reaction).

FJ was an instaget, but I did not know a single TV show in that "my role" category in DJ; it was like a flashback to the teen tournament.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 2

I got Cuba, Jack London, and only Savion (couldn't remember Glover). I also got Zapruder, which I thought was super easy and therefore was surprised that not everyone got it.

I get The Netherlands and Denmark mixed up.

I knew Veep immediately, but it turns out that the contestant's guess of Superstore wasn't horrible since there's an Amy and Jonah in both shows.

I don't like the board-hopping either.

31 minutes ago, lb60 said:
5 hours ago, teebax said:

I flew from Tucson to Philly to see the Eagles lose the Cowboys at home last month

That's horrible!

Quite a few years ago I flew five thousand miles to see a total solar eclipse.  We were clouded out and didn't see a thing.  Does that count?  (Got a great view of the 2017 eclipse though.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Driad said:

Quite a few years ago I flew five thousand miles to see a total solar eclipse.  We were clouded out and didn't see a thing.  Does that count?  (Got a great view of the 2017 eclipse though.)

Whereas in Southern Oregon, the smoke from the 2017 fires made the eclipse underwhelming. 😒

• Like 2

6 hours ago, teebax said:

I understand they have to account for contestants who aren't into football.

I hate football with the heat of a thousand suns. And then some.

I bet the woman player today gave herself a big "DUH" after guessing Salt Lake City for location of that (Atlanta) Baptist church.

I knew FJ instantly, but would have spelled it "Zabruder." So I guess I stay a loser.

• Like 1

I always have heard it as Za-PRU-der.

Any reference to the country that includes Orange should be for the Netherlands—just remember that William of Orange, who became ruler of England along with Mary, was from there. 

And I am another who completely whiffed that TV category. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And even though I don’t think she had a chance, even if she had gotten it right and the guys missed it, middle woman’s bet of zero was the right bet to make.

I wonder if she knew it, but decided on the shout out to her cat as she was betting nothing anyway. 

25 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

I always have heard it as Za-PRU-der.

That's how I've heard it too. It was an instaget. 

• Like 2