Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was an instaget for me tonight — parrot led me to pirate, which led me to the Buccaneers.

Yes, that's the quick path I took.

I got Week, Red Dragon, and Bruno Mars. I thought it was funny that they had a question with Wyatt Earp, where an answer last week was Tombstone. For that reason I figured it wasn't Tombstone again, but I didn't think of Dodge City. Wasn't Dodge City a guess that other time?

For the 'Wit' clue, I wonder if they would have just accepted cancer. That's what I said, but then Tiffany made the specific guess of breast cancer. Maybe if she'd only said cancer, she would have gotten a BMS.

• Love 4

The Fonda & Stewart, gad, Aruba, and The Red Dragon TS surprised me a little.

Early Start, This Week and Power Lunch all being TS in the news show category didn’t surprise me, but did bum me out a bit even though I don’t watch any of them but had heard of all of them – general ignorance as to news options in this day and age brings me down, so a 2/5 record in the category was, collectively, what gave me pause.

The premise of Wit being a TS made me sad*; it’s a fabulous play.  The same with The Heidi Chronicles, and that was also the TS of the game that full-out surprised me.  I feel like between the baseline of pop culture knowledge expected of the average person who'd go out for J! and the increased average of such knowledge among those chosen to compete on the show, it was reasonable to expect at least one of any given three would know it.

(*I, too, wonder if the contestant who answered "breast cancer" would have been ruled correct had she instead answered "cancer," or have been prompted to BMS (and then been ruled wrong when she picked the "wrong one" of women's cancers).)

The "Flavors" DD answer should have been bitter, not bitters:  Add an S to "this word" meaning acrid and you get a cocktail ingredient means the clue seeks the non-S word meaning acrid, not the word with the S that's a cocktail ingredient. 

The tart clue was sexist crap and they could have found a much better dual-meaning way of getting there.

I’d have bet everything on FJ, and would have doubled my score.  Not an instaget, even for this football fanatic, but very easy to reason my way to.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, lb60 said:

I checked the archives for FJ and probably wouldn't have gotten it, even though it's one of those "Duh!!" answers once it's revealed.

Quoting myself because I'm an idiot and obviously had no idea what I was checking because the question I found had nothing to do with the NFL. 

I might have puzzled my way to the correct answer, since I am a football fan (#FlyEaglesFly), the Bucs are my brother's team, and they broke my heart with a crushing playoff victory over my Eagles at frozen Veterans Stadium. That loss still hurts.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I almost felt bad for the challengers tonight, until they kept just randomly ringing in with random wild-ass guesses.  Then I started hoping they’d both end up in the red, and Dave would get to play FJ all by himself.  Has that ever happened?

There has been an episode where 2 contestants are in the red at the end of DJ and the remaining person has FJ all to herself: 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Was it just me or did barely-got-to-play-FJ woman say Shoeless Jay Jackson instead of Shoeless Joe Jackson?  I may have FFed past the correction.

I rewound twice and it sure did sound like Jay to me as well. There was no correction.

• Love 1

My reasoning for FJ went like this:  Parrot?  Parrothead...what does Jimmy Buffett have to do with the NFL?  So maybe someplace tropical?  Like Miami?  Like the Dolphins?  Probably not it,  Gave up.  Then d'uh when I heard the answer!

I heard Shoeless Joe.  Got Henry Fonda but couldn't come up with Stewart.

I'm with those who don't hear vocal fry.  I know one person IRL who speaks with the fry, so I know what it can sound like, but I never hear it on TV, even when it's pointed out.  Thank the Lord!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got Week, Red Dragon, and Bruno Mars. I thought it was funny that they had a question with Wyatt Earp, where an answer last week was Tombstone. For that reason I figured it wasn't Tombstone again, but I didn't think of Dodge City. Wasn't Dodge City a guess that other time?

For the 'Wit' clue, I wonder if they would have just accepted cancer. That's what I said, but then Tiffany made the specific guess of breast cancer. Maybe if she'd only said cancer, she would have gotten a BMS.

Dodge City was my guess, so I got it this time, and felt vindicated. LOL

I think they would have accepted the less specific cancer.

3 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I heard Shoeless Joe.  Got Henry Fonda but couldn't come up with Stewart.

Me too, which I think is hysterical because "Hank" isn't the name we generally know Fonda by, but "Jim" is Stewart's actual name.

10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was an instaget for me tonight — parrot led me to pirate, which led me to the Buccaneers.

I followed the same line - except it led me to the Pittsburgh Pirates (I know, I know, that's baseball - but that's where my mind went, and I haven't kept up with football since before the Bucs were a gleam in someone's eye.) The mister, of course, got it right and had a good laugh.

• Love 1

I followed the same line - except it led me to the Pittsburgh Pirates (I know, I know, that's baseball - but that's where my mind went, and I haven't kept up with football since before the Bucs were a gleam in someone's eye.)

I did guess Buccaneers but then I wasn't 100% positive that it was a football team :-) 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Me too, which I think is hysterical because "Hank" isn't the name we generally know Fonda by, but "Jim" is Stewart's actual name.

I followed the same line - except it led me to the Pittsburgh Pirates (I know, I know, that's baseball - but that's where my mind went, and I haven't kept up with football since before the Bucs were a gleam in someone's eye.) The mister, of course, got it right and had a good laugh.

I got the "Hank and Jim" clue.  I've heard Stewart called "James Stewart" and "Jimmy Stewart," but I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to him as "Jim Stewart."

I got the Buccaneers.  And then I had to hope that would have been enough, since I couldn't remember what city they were in. :-)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Got Henry Fonda but couldn't come up with Stewart.

Me too. I don't really associate the two of them together. I was stuck on another pair, Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster. I was trying to make a Jim out of Burt and came up with James Arness. Which, to my credit, I knew was wrong.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Dodge City was my guess, so I got it this time, and felt vindicated. LOL

You're ahead of your time.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

The tart clue was sexist crap and they could have found a much better dual-meaning way of getting there.

I wish they had at least used "the woman at the bar" instead of the "the girl at the bar." They just had to judge a woman's sexuality AND infantilize her. Thanks, Jeopardy.

I don't know from sports ball teams so I guessed "Who are the Pirates" having no idea if that was even a team much less an NFL team. Ha.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Me too. I don't really associate the two of them together. I was stuck on another pair, Kirk Douglas and Burt Lancaster. I was trying to make a Jim out of Burt and came up with James Arness. Which, to my credit, I knew was wrong.

It's true that Fonda and Stewart didn't make many films together, but they were lifelong friends.  They roomed together in New York when they were both starting out on Broadway, and again in California after they had gone to Hollywood.  Fonda was a Democrat and Stewart a Republican--they had to agree early on that they would never discuss politics!

• Love 6
18 hours ago, lb60 said:

Quoting myself because I'm an idiot and obviously had no idea what I was checking because the question I found had nothing to do with the NFL. 

I might have puzzled my way to the correct answer, since I am a football fan (#FlyEaglesFly), the Bucs are my brother's team, and they broke my heart with a crushing playoff victory over my Eagles at frozen Veterans Stadium. That loss still hurts.

I flew from Tucson to Philly to see the Eagles lose the Cowboys at home last month. I paid a grip of money and took PTO just to see them lose. What's worse is I got sick that weekend and ended up in the hospital as well. That loss really hurts! Oh, and a lot of my students are Cowboys fans, and they were RELENTLESS when I got back. It's been a frustrating season to be an Eagles fan, but I still love the bird gang.

The NFL is one of the few categories I'd go all in on during FJ if I were a contestant, regardless of circumstances. I don't think they've ever asked a football question I couldn't answer, unlike that recent group of contestants who didn't know any of them. I wish FJ had been a little harder, but I understand they have to account for contestants who aren't into football.

• Love 7

FJ was another instaget for me tonight.  And even though I don’t think she had a chance, even if she had gotten it right and the guys missed it, middle woman’s bet of zero was the right bet to make.

I do wish they’d stop with the board-hopping, but otherwise tonight’s game was pretty good. Not too many TS, though I got Savion Glover, Jack London, and Atlanta.

• Love 3

I got Savion Glover, Manhattan, Jack London, Atlanta, and FJ-Zapruder. And the board-hopping is driving me crazy! I sort of understand it when looking for DD, but why continue doing so after finding them? 

I was just glad they cleared out the Archaeology category. That and human origins/anthropology are on my list of dream Jeopardy categories. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, teebax said:

I flew from Tucson to Philly to see the Eagles lose the Cowboys at home last month. I paid a grip of money and took PTO just to see them lose. What's worse is I got sick that weekend and ended up in the hospital as well. That loss really hurts! Oh, and a lot of my students are Cowboys fans, and they were RELENTLESS when I got back. It's been a frustrating season to be an Eagles fan, but I still love the bird gang.

That's horrible!  On the plus side, there are many good hospitals in Philly. lol  I suggest detention for those students until they come to their senses.  One of the teachers at my school is a huge Dallas fan and we had a few Patriots fans last year for the Super Bowl.  It's never been easy bleeding green, but frustrating is a good way to describe this season.  

Tonight I got Savior Glover, Atlanta, and FJ in an instaget.  

• Love 1

The Manhattan TS caused my eyes to bug out of my head.  Burn rate, Savion Glover, Cuba, and Atlanta were all things I'd have guessed at least one would know, but that's the extent of my reaction.  But Manhattan - wow.  It also surprised me how easy the DDs were (or at least two of the three; I'm blanking on one, but I distinctly remember two of them prompting a "Really, that is a DD?" reaction).

FJ was an instaget, but I did not know a single TV show in that "my role" category in DJ; it was like a flashback to the teen tournament.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

I got Cuba, Jack London, and only Savion (couldn't remember Glover). I also got Zapruder, which I thought was super easy and therefore was surprised that not everyone got it.

I get The Netherlands and Denmark mixed up.

I knew Veep immediately, but it turns out that the contestant's guess of Superstore wasn't horrible since there's an Amy and Jonah in both shows.

I don't like the board-hopping either.

31 minutes ago, lb60 said:
5 hours ago, teebax said:

I flew from Tucson to Philly to see the Eagles lose the Cowboys at home last month

That's horrible!

Quite a few years ago I flew five thousand miles to see a total solar eclipse.  We were clouded out and didn't see a thing.  Does that count?  (Got a great view of the 2017 eclipse though.)

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Driad said:

Quite a few years ago I flew five thousand miles to see a total solar eclipse.  We were clouded out and didn't see a thing.  Does that count?  (Got a great view of the 2017 eclipse though.)

Whereas in Southern Oregon, the smoke from the 2017 fires made the eclipse underwhelming. 😒

• Love 2
6 hours ago, teebax said:

I understand they have to account for contestants who aren't into football.

I hate football with the heat of a thousand suns. And then some.

I bet the woman player today gave herself a big "DUH" after guessing Salt Lake City for location of that (Atlanta) Baptist church.

I knew FJ instantly, but would have spelled it "Zabruder." So I guess I stay a loser.

• Love 1

I always have heard it as Za-PRU-der.

Any reference to the country that includes Orange should be for the Netherlands—just remember that William of Orange, who became ruler of England along with Mary, was from there. 

And I am another who completely whiffed that TV category. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And even though I don’t think she had a chance, even if she had gotten it right and the guys missed it, middle woman’s bet of zero was the right bet to make.

I wonder if she knew it, but decided on the shout out to her cat as she was betting nothing anyway. 

25 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

I always have heard it as Za-PRU-der.

That's how I've heard it too. It was an instaget. 

• Love 2

Dave is a really good player, and so unflappable. 

The Tuesday TS I got were Fonda & Stewart; Early Start; Power Lunch; Aruba; This Week With George S.; ovarian cancer; bluetooth (thanks to Expedition Unknown); The Heidi Chronicles; Bruno Mars. I also followed the parrot-->pirate-->TB Bucs thinking process to get FJ, but Dr. Toothbrush knew it. He watches the NFL draft, as do my dad & brothers. 

Deadwood/Dodge City redux!

Wednesday TS were Glover; Cuba; burn rate; London (Brian's missed DD); Atlanta. FJ was an instaget. Amy & her teammates' roller derby nicknames for Alex were cute. I considered garnet a shoutout to me since it is my birthstone along with MLK Jr & all horses. 

I have a feeling Jeopardy will not be shown in my market due to President GHWB's funeral. Even if the national coverage is over, I have a feeling the local media will continue coverage with his journey to College Station by train. 

On 12/4/2018 at 9:10 PM, Grundoon59 said:

I am depressed that The Heidi Chronicles was a TS.  Wendy Wasserstein was one of my favorite modern playwrights and she died much too young.  

I hadn't realized she died. 

On 12/4/2018 at 9:41 PM, Bastet said:

The Fonda & Stewart, gad, Aruba, and The Red Dragon TS surprised me a little.

Was gad a TS? I thought Dave answered it. I got it also. 

On 12/4/2018 at 10:11 PM, lb60 said:

Hopefully the Saints will return the favor on behalf of the Eagles Sunday. 

• Love 2

I was a little surprised they accepted "Princess Grace" instead of "Grace Kelly." Wasn't the question something like "She stepped into the real role of princess when she married..."? 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I am another who completely whiffed that TV category. 

That was the moment I realized I am not watching what the cool kids watch. I hadn't even heard of some of them. 

There weren't too many gets for me today. I had Savion Glover, ZTE, Jack London DD, and Atlanta.

For FJ, I had Zapruder fairly quickly.

Dave's three-day total is impressive. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I considered garnet a shoutout to me since it is my birthstone along with MLK Jr & all horses. 

Bolding mine.  It's actually only Thoroughbreds, as mentioned in the clue.  Since the first two years of their racing careers (age 2 and 3) are based on age, and it would be grossly impractical to track each horse's individual birthday, plus easy to fudge if you wanted to, all thoroughbreds have a birthday on January 1 of the year they were born, so whether born in March or April or some other time, they are all in the same year of age for racing purposes.  Every horse born in 2016 is a two year old in all of 2018, every horse born in 2017 is a yearling in 2018, and every horse born in 2018 is about to have his or her first "birthday" on January 1--no matter when actually born.  Non-racing horses don't have to deal with this, so they have birthdays whenever, if they are even noted.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, SHD said:

I was a little surprised they accepted "Princess Grace" instead of "Grace Kelly." Wasn't the question something like "She stepped into the real role of princess when she married..."? 

I thought it needed a BMS too, since they were clearly going for Grace Kelly and not Princess Grace, Oddly, I never once thought of her with the title - she was always Grace Kelly to me - kind of the way Megan Markle and Kate Middleton are more often referred to by their names than titles.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SHD said:

That surprised me too. 

I thought Zapruder was insanely easy. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

Bolding mine.  It's actually only Thoroughbreds, as mentioned in the clue.  Since the first two years of their racing careers (age 2 and 3) are based on age, and it would be grossly impractical to track each horse's individual birthday, plus easy to fudge if you wanted to, all thoroughbreds have a birthday on January 1 of the year they were born, so whether born in March or April or some other time, they are all in the same year of age for racing purposes.  Every horse born in 2016 is a two year old in all of 2018, every horse born in 2017 is a yearling in 2018, and every horse born in 2018 is about to have his or her first "birthday" on January 1--no matter when actually born.  Non-racing horses don't have to deal with this, so they have birthdays whenever, if they are even noted.

Thanks for the explanation. I did not understand that clue at all.

2 hours ago, teebax said:

That was the moment I realized I am not watching what the cool kids watch. I hadn't even heard of some of them. 

There's just too much TV (and streaming) to keep track of. I hadn't heard of some of those shows either.

54 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

For some reason, I always think there's a "G' in the name (Zap- GRU-der), so spelling or saying, I would still be ruled wrong.

Maybe you're thinking of...

slice_macgruber_01.jpg

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

That surprised me too. 

I thought Zapruder was insanely easy. 

I did too.

Although for some reason I recall just hearing about the film and it being bought by the government in the 90s, maybe in news stories about the anniversary of JFKs death last month

The hardest part of FJ was spelling Zapruder correct

• Love 2

I don't want to dislike Dave, because he's smart and seems like a nice person, but his moustache creeps me out so I want him to lose.

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:10 AM, peeayebee said:

I knew this one, because they did several films together, and I'd seen on TCM about them being great friends.  If you ever get the chance to watch The Cheyenne Social Club starring both of them, do it.

Man, that was an easy-ass FJ.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

his moustache creeps me out so I want him to lose.

It's the reason I listen but do not look.

I did like Wednesday's woman contestant being in roller derby and giving Trebek roller names. That was different and very cool. Roller derby used to be a regular tv programming staple when I was a kid. Blockers and jammers!

• Love 2

I sympathize with those of you who hate runaway games, but Dave is exactly the type of player I love. No-nonsense, knowledgeable, and nice. May he and his moustache have a long run!

• Love 13

I did like the Roller Derby names for Alex the other night, but I'm good with Dave and his moustache.  However, I thought he should have been dinged for Daylight Savings Time -- that's not correct.  It's Daylight Saving Time, much like the book of the Bible is Revelation, not Revelations. 

I feel like I should have gotten FJ, and it should have been an instaget, but I just blanked.  I knew it had to be something in the middle east (as opposed to say, Russia), but couldn't choose between Iran and Iraq, so I said nothing.  Oh well! 

I did get Dopey, and I wonder if "bad press" would have been accepted instead of "bad publicity".

• Love 7

Skipping over today’s posts to remind Chicagoans to try and record the early-morning timeslot where they tend to run Jeopardy when it’s been preempted, this one for GHW Bush stuff. I have my DVR set for channel 7 from 2-3:15 am, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will show it then.

47 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I did get Dopey, and I wonder if "bad press" would have been accepted instead of "bad publicity".

I don't think so because they were looking for a quote, so it would probably have to be exact.

• Love 1

I got exactly one thing right tonight.  That thing was, one.  As in how many time zones China has.  I suck!

22 hours ago, Driad said:

Quite a few years ago I flew five thousand miles to see a total solar eclipse.  We were clouded out and didn't see a thing.  Does that count? 

Affirmative. 

19 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Hopefully the Saints will return the favor on behalf of the Eagles Sunday. 

We need all the help we can get this year.  Last season was just magical.  

5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

.....but his moustache creeps me out so I want him to lose.

I don't want him to lose, yet, but I do want to take scissors and even up the scraggly ends.  Its not well maintained, IMO.

• Love 4

I was annoyed by the contestant Pat. She answered and picked questions too slowly. Also Dave to some extent is slow and very controlled. There were so many clues left on the board. Samir got a “good for you” when he came up with the answer sore eyes. I got 15th, Dopey, one, but blew FJ. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

However, I thought he should have been dinged for Daylight Savings Time -- that's not correct.  It's Daylight Saving Time, much like the book of the Bible is Revelation, not Revelations. 

I think I’ve already made a snarky pedantic post about daylight saving(s) time on some other show’s thread, so I didn’t want to say it again here, but yeah, that seems like the kind of thing they usually call someone on. 

• Love 3