Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

My take on Bridget was that she missed the ENGLISH part of English Majors and got perplexed from that point on.  She had been doing okay up until then but she seemed to deflate from then on.  

I always feel bad when the only person who gets FJ right loses.  I guessed Hawthorne but had no real idea.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And really, you need a BMS for "puzzles", you have to say "jigsaw puzzles"?  I mean, technically, sure, but with some of the proper name answers they let go, seems pretty nitpicky.  I honestly would not have known what to say to be more specific, the two terms are interchanged and "jigsaw" often times is implied.  I would have missed it if they insisted on jigsaw puzzles. 

There are other types of puzzles besides jigsaw, so asking her to be more specific was needed, imo.

TSs I got were refuge, Lawrence of Arabia, and Montgomery.

I got Hawthorne right away. Asking for a New Hampshire author in the 1800s always leads me to him, though it may lead me astray one of these days.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I got Hawthorne right away. Asking for a New Hampshire author in the 1800s always leads me to him, though it may lead me astray one of these days.

Got those TS, risk,  and Hawthorne. 

I also got the Charge of the Light Brigade as I realized it was during the Crimean War. I only remember two things about it. Florence Nightingale revolutionizing nursing and the Charge of the Light Brigade. 

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was hoping that they finished the Bible category just to see if anyone could answer any of them.

I did enjoy when Alex made reference to the football debacle too. I did get Ruth, Song of Solomon, and guessed Revelation. 

• Love 7

I thought Hawthorne was relatively obvious but I guess not.

Antiquing was way too basic for a DD, however.  Also that one guy gave an answer of “crocheting” but in the context of the clue I thought he was going to get dinged because it should have been “crochet.”

I thought Hawthorne was obvious, too. (LOL Poe!)

And I totally agree it should have been crochet.

I like the new champ. Hope he's not one and done. So I guess I should say, "Don't like the new champ" <wink-wink>

• Love 6
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

There are other types of puzzles besides jigsaw, so asking her to be more specific was needed, imo.

I realize there are other types of puzzles.

But generally if you mean some other type of puzzle besides a jigsaw puzzle, it is specified as such.  That is usually when you need a "BMS" for the type of puzzle

If you just say "puzzle" without any specification, its typically is assumed to be a jigsaw puzzle. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I don’t understand why there was no BMS for the middle guy’s answer of “Siamese twins” when the answer should have been “Chang & Ang.” 

That confused me, too. I came up with Eng but couldn't remember the other. Then just "Siamese twins" is accepted? I suppose the thinking is that since they were the original Siamese Twins, that name is correct. Still, with the way the question was phrased, I would think the actual names would be required.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I don’t understand why there was no BMS for the middle guy’s answer of “Siamese twins” when the answer should have been “Chang & Ang.” 

Our antenna crapped out a little right at that moment - but I was struggling to remember their names because I certainly didn't think "Siamese twins" would have been accepted.

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I realize there are other types of puzzles.

But generally if you mean some other type of puzzle besides a jigsaw puzzle, it is specified as such.  That is usually when you need a "BMS" for the type of puzzle

If you just say "puzzle" without any specification, its typically is assumed to be a jigsaw puzzle. 

Huh. I never knew that - but then in our house puzzles are more of the Rubik's Cube and other sorts of puzzles - not jigsaw puzzles. So jigsaw isn't the default type of puzzle in our home. I don't know that I've heard it used as the default - but it's not like I've paid attention. :)

• Love 2

I'm sure there is variation on how the word "puzzles" is used by people

But if they are going to accept "ellen" as an answer for Ellen DeGeneres, "Kennedy" as an answer for president JFK without specifying which Kennedy, and numerous other examples where they accepted things without clarification recently, like "Siamese twins" last night, I find it picky to then turn around and want specifically "jigsaw puzzle" and not just "puzzle" for this answer when many people do use the two terms interchangeably, even if its not universal. 

If they were consistent it would be OK, but they are not, in many cases. 

And she got it anyway, so did not affect the game. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I'm sure there is variation on how the word "puzzles" is used by people

But if they are going to accept "ellen" as an answer for Ellen DeGeneres, "Kennedy" as an answer for president JFK without specifying which Kennedy, and numerous other examples where they accepted things without clarification recently, like "Siamese twins" last night, I find it picky to then turn around and want specifically "jigsaw puzzle" and not just "puzzle" for this answer when many people do use the two terms interchangeably, even if its not universal. 

If they were consistent it would be OK, but they are not, in many cases. 

And she got it anyway, so did not affect the game. 

Totally agree with you that they are inconsistent. I lean more towards making BMS the rule, myself.

• Love 2

I thought I was having a bad game with so many answers just on the tip of my tongue but not coming out; however, I ended up with a good amount of ts's and one DD: Lucifer, refuge, Lawrence of Arabia, Charge of the Light Brigade, John Andre, Ruth and Revelation, plus FJ was a correct instaguess.

Congrats to the new champ who, so far, hasn't shown any annoying traits and is also easy on the eyes.

Re the puzzles bms, I agree it needed it. So many kinds of puzzles out there that 'jigsaw' needed to be specified.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

My take on Bridget was that she missed the ENGLISH part of English Majors and got perplexed from that point on.  She had been doing okay up until then but she seemed to deflate from then on. 

I was so disappointed once I realized what this category was. As an English major, I thought I was going to learn about some famous people who also majored in English. We don't all work as baristas, you know! Not that there's anything wrong with being a barista.

I got the same TS's most of you got and was equally irritated at Bridget's insistence on staying on a category no one seemed to know. When Alex mentioned the football category after the bible clues went unanswered I had to laugh because I was thinking the same thing. I clean up on Bible categories, despite not being religious. I credit 18 years of forced church attendance.

We finally got a category with some German, and they didn't even finish it. That really ticked me off. I rarely get to show off my German.

• Love 13

I missed Thursday & Friday, so I missed saying good riddance to Mary Ann and was lucky enough to miss the first day of the new guy.  Who I hated, mostly because I thought he was weird looking.  Not his fault, I know, but there it is.  Glad he lost last night.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:00 PM, Etta Place said:

I got FJ, figuring it had to be 2 presidents who died in office. Thought of WH Harrison, wasn’t sure who the second one was but that Lincoln was too far out so stuck with Harrison. Pleased to have gotten it. I wasn’t bothered overall by the guy, except for that DD wager. If you get it right, you’re tied, which I guess is fine but not considerably better than being in a strong second place instead of betting enough to give her the runaway. And of course doubly dumb in hindsight when he gets the final and she doesn’t. 

I knew they were going for presidents who had died in office, but couldn't come up with the right ones.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:50 PM, ClareWalks said:

I'm surprised Trebek said FJ was so tough today, since I actually managed to guess it! I got Montreal quickly, and then thought of Munich because it was a pretty memorable Games, after all. 

I would've gotten both cities easily.  Olympic trivia is a good area for me, and I remember watching both games.

I might've gotten ET, although I hate that movie.

18 hours ago, lb60 said:

Yay!  A champ I actually like!

Tonight I got Lucifer, angels (thank you MSNBC, where Jon Meacham is a frequent guest), Sedaris, current, Andre (thank you Peter Brady as Benedict Arnold), and Ruth.

Honestly, I could barely decipher the FJ clue, so I just started thinking of American Authors.  I thought Twain first, then Hawthorne popped in my head and I settled for him.  Lucky guess!

I didn't get Sedaris but did get the others.  And yes, it did seem like Books of the Bible was going to turn out like the infamous Football category.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Kathira said:

I got angels, TE Lawrence, Ruth, Song of Solomon and Revelation

I got all of those as well.  Thank, Ken Burns' Civil War for the better angels of our nature.

17 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I said Melville for FJ.  Oh well. 

And really, you need a BMS for "puzzles", you have to say "jigsaw puzzles"?  I mean, technically, sure, but with some of the proper name answers they let go, seems pretty nitpicky.  I honestly would not have known what to say to be more specific, the two terms are interchanged and "jigsaw" often times is implied.  I would have missed it if they insisted on jigsaw puzzles. 

I knew it wasn't Melville because I read far too much about him in a book which was supposed to be about a serial child killer in 19th century Boston.

15 hours ago, DrScottie said:

also got the Charge of the Light Brigade as I realized it was during the Crimean War. I only remember two things about it. Florence Nightingale revolutionizing nursing and the Charge of the Light Brigade. 

Me too.

A whole category about the umlaut (one of my very favorite words to say - just ask my best friend) and then we don't get to see all the clues!  Argh!

Edited by proserpina65

I didn't know Frances McDormand is married to Joel Coen

So obviously I did not get FJ

ALl I could think of was Penny Marhsall and A League of their own, but I knew that was way earlier than 1997.  And she was the director of that, not in it.  And .......well it was just wrong. 

• Love 3

Another day, another FJ for which I had no clue.  Like @DrSpaceman73, I had no clue Frances McDormand is married to a Coen.  But I did love Fargo!  And I liked that today’s game was nice and orderly.  I would have been okay with any of them winning.

TS that I got include guilt/gilt, naiad, Bavaria, and Alexander.

• Love 1

I also got guilt/gilt, Bavaria, Christopher, and Alexander. (Laughed at Alex's "ahem" when no one thought of his name.) Totally blanked on FJ; I thought first of Barbra Streisand and then Meryl Streep. It always throws me that although they win in year X, the movie came out in year X-1. I was trying to think of who gave a standout performance in 1997. I looked it up and remembered it was one of those that always makes the "most underwhelming wins ever" lists: Helen Hunt for As Good As It Gets.

• Love 4

Tonight I got gilt/guilt, (St.) Francis, and Uncle Kracker (yes, that's how he spells it).

I had no clue for FJ.  Even after Alex mentioned Fargo, I could picture the actress, but still could not come up with her name.

• Love 2

Gilt/guilt was a bit surprising as a TS.  Lieutenant, too; I have no interest in military or para-military organizations, but that’s the sort of thing one picks up well enough from TV and such that I would’ve thought at least one of them would know it.  Bavaria was mildly surprising, but I got the sense none of them wanted to guess.

Sisters Are Doin’ It For Themselves wasn't all that surprising as a TS, but it made me sad.

While I knew FJ, I'm not surprised it was a TS, but I am surprised by who two of them picked as their the wrong answers.  I guess that's rather the point -- if you don't know it, you're just throwing out random names, but I guess in that case I expected more "??" non-answers than the "um, no, her husband isn't a director, never mind the brother-in-law part and the year" guesses.  Angelina Jolie wasn't terrible, because at least she was married to a director (Billy Bob Thornton) in that general timeframe, even though they'd been divorced for several years by then and she didn't win an Oscar until several years after that (and not for anything he directed) -- I can at least see the thought process there.

I had no idea I knew Uncle Kracker, but the “familial” category made it come out of my mouth.  I had to look up the spelling, and that made me realize I actually do know a couple of his songs, but just didn’t know who sang them, including Memphis Soul Song, which I quite like.

• Love 3

The only TSs I got were Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves and Santa Ana.

Woooo-HOO! I got FJ! When I focused on the fact that brothers were director and producer (and actually interchangeable), then the Coen Brothers came to me quickly and -- surprise surprise -- I remembered Frances McDormand's name! I'm so proud of me.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Woooo-HOO! I got FJ! When I focused on the fact that brothers were director and producer (and actually interchangeable), then the Coen Brothers came to me quickly and -- surprise surprise -- I remembered Frances McDormand's name! I'm so proud of me.

I got it right using the same thought process as you did. I get smug when I get a FJ TS right. It is, admittedly, a rare occurrence. 

• Love 4

Jeptestants never listen to me. I was shouting SANTA ANA at the TV so loud, I scared my new rescue dog. I mean, holy shi...cow. Houston was in the clue!

For FJ I guessed along with Eye Candy: Sofia Coppola. I knew that wasn't right, so I changed it to Talia Shire (sister of Francis Ford Coppola). McDormand never occurred to me, and gosh-darn-it, I bet every cent of my imaginary J! money..

• Love 3

I'm glad Dylan won again. The woman on the end just never seemed to get into the swing of it.

My ts's were Acadians, Naiad, Clarke, Bavaria and St. Francis.  I said Emma Thompson for FJ since I knew she was married to Kenneth Branagh at one time and that he also directed movies; didn't know who her bil might have been.  I was just glad I had any answer at all.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I didn't know Frances McDormand is married to Joel Coen

I knew it, but could not think of her to save my life.  I saw Fargo, and thought she thoroughly deserved that Oscar, too.  I guess 1997 was too long ago.

13 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I also got guilt/gilt, Bavaria, Christopher, and Alexander.

I didn't get Christopher, although I should have, but did get the others, as well as Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves, and Santa Ana (although I did say Santy Any, just like Hank Hill's dad.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I think I would have gotten it without it, but just a few hours before I was listening to Sirius Radio 90's and they played this song and talked about how it was originally supposed to be Tina Turner and she had a conflict so it went to Aretha Franklin..and then lo and behold it was a clue!!! 

• Love 1

Francis McDormand is stellar, one of my favorites. She was excellent in Fargo, but she is even better in Three Billboards, my fav movie of last year, even though it's not a Coen Bros. film. One that is, and one I highly recommend, is Burn After Reading.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Really. I was sehr böse about that 

ich auch.

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Francis McDormand is stellar, one of my favorites. She was excellent in Fargo, but she is even better in Three Billboards, my fav movie of last year, even though it's not a Coen Bros. film. One that is, and one I highly recommend, is Burn After Reading.

Loved Three Billboards. It is one of the few films I keep thinking about now and again. Even the mister (who prefers light and airy shows) loved it.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Me too! I was racking my brain trying to figure out what actress won around that time. Then I got the idea to think about the brothers and it came to me instantly.

Loved seeing "Acadians" as an answer on Jeopardy! And that a few of you got it, too! Took a picture of the clue and sent it to my mother :)

• Love 1

I couldn't believe they missed Marvin Gaye!  But even more surprising to me, anyway, was the TS of rafting!  I expected maybe guesses of kayaking or canoeing, but rapids (twice!) and whatever the former champ said?  Astonishing.  I think they must have all misread the clue.  And I guess Shaft was before their time.  In addition to those, I also got lunge (I took fencing in college!), Ronin, Scotchguard, law students, and thermometer.  Which was another one that surprised me.  But probably also another case of misreading the clue.

I am embarrassed to say that it took me a few seconds to get FJ, but I did in plenty of time to write it down.

• Love 8

I heard some background laughing from the audience over the Galileo thermometer question. I'm sure the first thing that jumped to their minds, as it did to mine, was "What is a bong?"

Edited by crashdown
  • Love 9

First they don't complete Denzel, then the Marvin Gaye TS.  I just couldn't root for anyone.

FJ was an instaget - I remember seeing it at the time and tearing up since I had been in London just a few months before and visited Buckingham Palace.

• Love 2

I couldn't believe how badly Dylan flamed out. It almost seemed as if he was trying to lose. 

I did get FJ, but I wasn't sure. I knew there was a connection to 9/11, but I wondered if it was some other patriotic song, like "God Bless America" or even a New York song.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I couldn't believe how badly Dylan flamed out. It almost seemed as if he was trying to lose. 

I did get FJ, but I wasn't sure. I knew there was a connection to 9/11, but I wondered if it was some other patriotic song, like "God Bless America" or even a New York song.

I really wanted to say "my country tis of thee" since it's basically "God save the queen" but settled on the actual answer.

• Love 2

Yikes, Dylan. That was, ummm, not good!  

Tonight I got Scotchgard, rafting, thermometer, and neigh.

For a split second, I thought God Bless America for FJ (maybe because on my ride home the Philly sports station I listen to was playing Kate Smith singing the song. Something about the best Philly sports anthem. Random, I know!), then switched to the correct answer.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 4

That Statue of Liberty question was ridiculously easy.

The middle guy was SO intense it made me nervous but I was still rooting for him because he made such a comeback.

• Love 4